Author Topic: What Games ya Playin' 2012 - Suplex a Train Edition  (Read 234877 times)

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
Re: What Games ya Playin' 2012 - Suplex a Train Edition
« Reply #1750 on: August 22, 2012, 07:35:59 AM »
PS2 all the way. Soul Nomad alone probably outclasses anything from my PSX library in terms of how much enjoyment I got out of them. But honestly, I think both had some great games and quite a few of PSX's games hold up to this day (notably the sprite games more than the polygons... VP, Suiko2, FFT)

That said, it seems like the Wii is totally taking up all my time these days thanks to Xenoblade and The Last Story. Both excellent nonstandard JRPGs. XB has a definite MMO style to it, while TLS is more ARPG-like.

The Last Story: The control scheme is a little unintuitive, and the game requires more reflexes than your standard RPG, but it's fairly easy to pick up with how the game introduces the mechanics to you. The battles are quick-paced and if you suck, the game gives you the option to "Try Again With a Lower Difficulty". I haven't actually seen what "a Lower Difficulty" entails yet because I'm stubborn, but I imagine as I get further in, I'll appreciate knowing there's a "skip frustration" option.

The battle system is a weird combination of cover-based melee combat, aggro-whoring, field-effects-exploitation, cool-down-meter regulation, and issuing commands to your teammates. Also, you hit things with your sword or bow, while your allies do one of three things: hit things with their swords, cast spells, or heal. The neat thing about this is that it's only when you have all of these things going on at once that the interesting effects of the battle system come into play, so despite only directly controlling one character (most of the time), you have to rely on a lot of teamwork to complete battles.

I'm about 7 hours into the game, and there's definitely looking to be a few more systems coming down the line, but honestly it's already gotten pretty fun and complex.

Storywise, it's very coherent. The main characters are all one mercenary guild and by-and-large are reasonable, functional human beings and warriors. They've already spent some time diving into the backstories of a few of them and they are shaping up well. The main plot seems to be a pretty straightforward war with some political intrigue, with a romance plot between the two lead characters.

Oddly enough, the romance isn't bad. I'm not shocked by it or anything, but it certainly seems believable enough. The characters actually seem to like eachother and spend enough time together talking and flirting that it's not painful. The other mercenaries' reactions to it certainly help any of the cheesier parts.

First impressions: Overall, it's not going to rewrite the book on JRPGs or even change any hard anti-JRPG person's views, but it's certainly solid and has the usual strengths of genre without falling into many of its usual pitfalls. Being an ARPG, people who dislike the slow pace of turn-based JRPGs may enjoy it more.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: August 22, 2012, 04:20:27 PM »
Gonna have to side with Super here. The PSX library, while containing some gems, hasn't aged that well at all, while the PS2 has the advantage of its gem titles not being outdated by improved technology or design yet.

Idun

« Reply #1752 on: August 22, 2012, 10:20:45 PM »
Started up the Last Story for about forty minutes last night. First impressions (realize that any of the configuration-issues also derives from nunchuck frustration):

Good voice acting. I enjoy beginning games en media res, re: Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy VII, XIII, etc. Controls are screwy. Duck/Hide is a bit frustrating given the narrow paths in the first cavern on the island. Story is standard Sakaguchi. Multiple teammates AI on-screen is pretty dope, like the low level of strategy involved but I can't fortell whether it'll become cumbersome or just straight novelty (re: run off and kill everything, leave everyone behind).

Dumbest thing about the game?
Auto-attack deals more damage.

Manual deals less damage.

PENALIZING THE GAMER FOR WANTING TO PLAY, mmmrrrr --- okey doke.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: August 22, 2012, 11:42:44 PM »
Dumbest thing about the game?
Auto-attack deals more damage.

Manual deals less damage.

PENALIZING THE GAMER FOR WANTING TO PLAY, mmmrrrr --- okey doke.

Can you chain with auto-attack?  Even if you can, seems like it would be harder to control, which is a benefit of Manual.

I haven't actually tried Auto yet, so I'm not actually sure.

Still kind of agree they should do the same damage anyway...

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1754 on: August 22, 2012, 11:58:51 PM »
Huh. Weird. I've been playing entirely on Auto (mostly because I got used to it while I was still learning the controls). It also seems like it would make it harder to control the cover-based part of the system with Manual attacking. With Auto, I find myself playing it more like a fast-paced SRPG, where positioning and how I time my skills/Bow usage to be my primary means of strategizing instead of what I assume is more like KH twitch-reflex gameplay. I also tend to use my mages and their combo field effects more than if I had to constantly be button-mashing to attack.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1755 on: August 23, 2012, 12:06:38 AM »
DQ9: Started.

DQ4: Replaying this before bed. Taloon's arc, getting enough cash to get the tunnel built.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Idun

« Reply #1756 on: August 23, 2012, 05:02:32 AM »
Can you chain with auto-attack?  Even if you can, seems like it would be harder to control, which is a benefit of Manual.

I haven't actually tried Auto yet, so I'm not actually sure.

Still kind of agree they should do the same damage anyway...

So far, Auto doesn't chain. There's a short lag in-between each attack as well, so the closest action to chaining is hitting one enemy, then barrel-rolling to another to attack. TLS seems to suggest allowing much of the AI to play for you, but it's pretty formulaic immediately: you protect the awesome mage, Seek and destroy LD enemies, engage in hand-to-hand combat or vice versa. If there's any difference function-wise for Manual v. Auto, it's that you don't have a failsafe computer-response for a surprise attack from an enemy in Manual. Though I've never tried Auto with his arrow gear, and perhaps that would make LD fights a bit easier.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: August 23, 2012, 07:51:30 AM »
Persona 4 Arena - So I'm trying to main Elizabeth.

This will end well.  (No it won't.)

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: August 23, 2012, 03:17:00 PM »
Persona 4 Arena - So I'm trying to main Elizabeth.

This will end well.  (No it won't.)

Needs more Maziodyne spam.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: August 23, 2012, 08:44:40 PM »
Seriously, LAZERS will see you through most of the time. Failing that, her autocombo does horrible things if you have the SP to complete it (and she has auto SP Up, soooo...) She'd be broken if she weren't so frail.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: August 23, 2012, 10:43:42 PM »
So far, Auto doesn't chain. There's a short lag in-between each attack as well, so the closest action to chaining is hitting one enemy, then barrel-rolling to another to attack. TLS seems to suggest allowing much of the AI to play for you, but it's pretty formulaic immediately: you protect the awesome mage, Seek and destroy LD enemies, engage in hand-to-hand combat or vice versa. If there's any difference function-wise for Manual v. Auto, it's that you don't have a failsafe computer-response for a surprise attack from an enemy in Manual. Though I've never tried Auto with his arrow gear, and perhaps that would make LD fights a bit easier.

Well in Manual, if you chain attacks together, you get multipliers to damage, and they seem pretty significant, so that's the advantage to Manual I guess.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: August 24, 2012, 03:28:50 AM »
FF13: Chapter 11 done.

As my AI partners get more options, they get dumber too. While Sazh has the good sense to still begin every battle with HASTEHASTEHASTE, he now likes to throw a Protect or a Shield or three instead of directly using damage buffs, even against really easy enemies (I bet this happens because the monster's data has a line about him having powerful attacks)
Let's say he fights Ifrit. Ifrit's data says "Uses powerful attacks" and "uses fire attacks", Sazh will start with Hastehastehaste, then he'll give fire protection + Protect to everyone. What would be way better would be him using a ton of buffs on Fang (more damage, ice damage, higher chance to stun), then doing the protection nonsense.
I could use him as the main character, but I feel more in control of the flow of battle using the one character who's doing all the damage; Fang. (And the way she uses elevators is great)
Conclusion: Stop having my performance rely on AI, games. It never works.

I haven't said anything about upgrading so far, because I nearly haven't done any.
I have to wonder why Square decided to streamline the hell out of this game and not do anything about upgrading? On one hand, towns are streamlined out of existence, on another hand, you have 167493 different upgrade items that each react differently to your 3574 different accessories and weapons, and you get no help whatsoever. This is probably the worst system since Legend of Mana. There are very few choices:
1) Writing the biggest Excel spreadsheet in existence.
2) Feeding all your upgrade items at random to your favourite accessory/weapon, losing tons of BP in the process but accepting it as a necessary evil.
3) Ignoring it entirely, hoping that at some point there's going to be a tutorial or a new menu option that's going to say  "Its all right. I know how you feel. Here's how you should do upgrading"
4) Checking a faq and getting a headache

Diablo 3:
The super uber mega patch was released recently. They added infinite grind and boosted a ton of skills.
This is how every player reacted: "Meh, it's a desperate attemps to - OMG they boosted skill X by 50%!!! And the new grind is AWESOME"
Me included. I'm in Inferno Act 2, things are going relatively smoothly.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 03:45:03 AM by Fenrir »

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1762 on: August 24, 2012, 03:30:58 AM »
You can chain attacks under Auto, too. You just have to work with your allies. Works well with Syrenne at least thanks to her Power Chain skill.

TLS: Rode a ship, fought a kitty, had a trial, then suddenly SPOOKY MANSION! Actually had fun.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: August 24, 2012, 06:47:36 AM »
TO PSP: Chap 2 beaten!  Apparently I went Neutral Path even though I intended to go Chaos because wasn't sure which decision went where!  Actually, I kind of had an idea, but just went "whatever" and chose.  I never saw Neutral path, so whatever (I've played Law and read the script for Chaos, so yeah.)

DMC1: Beat Mission 7, and then did the Secret Mission during the intermission.  Frosts are cruel bastards.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: August 24, 2012, 03:11:33 PM »
OMD2- Five starred every story/classic level on both challenge levels except for Finale. Fuck that level so much.

Also had a spare copy of defense grid which Shale is playing through (Play defense grid, it is awesome). Been playing some of the awakening levels to refresh myself on details.

Edit: Victoria 2, Cranbud?! You madman.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 03:14:55 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: August 24, 2012, 03:43:05 PM »
Mario Kart 7 -

Keeping that in mind, I retried some circuits I had one-star rankings on. Using a faster car, I managed to improve two of them to two-star rankings, but no luck with the others. Oh well.

Windosill - played through

I'm not sure what I was expecting when I bought this (I don't even remember if I bought it on its own or if it came in a bundle of some kind), but I don't think that I would have expected it to be as ludicrously short as it is. Reasonably pretty though.

The Ship SP - played through

Not very entertaining. Not going to bother with the multiplayer. Wasn't confirmed whether Jimmy was Mr. X or not. The whole concept of the SP campaign of running deadly errands for people who are all going to die soon anyway annoys me.

Bob Came In Pieces - played through

Somewhat fun when the controls weren't playing up or just being naturally irritating. And when you weren't respawning inside props. Recommend Pikmin over this if you're into collecting spaceship parts, or Jupiter Lander if you're into controlling touchy spaceships. Not going to bother with the VR levels.

Audiosurf/Beat Hazard - venting

Why can't any music game get file browsers working properly Audiosurf links the vertical position of all folders to each other for god knows why so when you scroll inside a folder then go back to its parent you end up nowhere near where you came from and it listens to the mousewheel while the window isn't in focus and the cursor is nowhere near it meanwhile Beat Hazard has its mousewheel scrolling set up to be annoyingly slow and it hides access to the parent folder any time you go into a track because the people who wrote it are insane and it also supposedly requires you to index everything before you can use it which takes forever and then you go into folders and find that it didn't actually index everything anyway

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: August 24, 2012, 06:51:19 PM »
Serious Sam TFE HD:

so many skeletons
all the skeletons

TF2 Mann vs. Machine:

Teamwork in Team Fortress 2? what is this
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: August 25, 2012, 12:41:57 AM »
Dark Souls: Platinum get.  Four Kings are their usual jackass selves and the only time faith-guy has ever actually lost a soul patch.  Gwyn's parry abuse is just depressing.  Gargoyles are lol.  Someone actually invaded me for Quelaag but I was right outside the door so whatever.  Mildred felt like running into a corner the whole fight though.  Thanks maneater.  Sif takes remarkably little damage from Sunlight Blade.  Sen's pendulums change every game I swear.  Iron Golem miraculously takes two lives out of me.  I wanted to Poise him the first fight, the second fight I put on the wrong ring and lols were had.  Didn't feel like dicking with the Archers so I just shot them.  Met giant, Dark Soul get.

Final level was 143.  Str/faith 50. VIT 30. END 40 and everything else various states of who cares. 
Equipment
Reinforced Club Army
Greatshield of Artorias/Darkmoon Talisman
Child Mask/Paladin Armor/Black Knight Gauntlet/Paladin Legging
Flippy Ring/RoFaP
Sunlight Spear/Greater Lightning Spear/Lightning Spear/Sunlight Blade

The most indulgent thing is swing two Grants around I swear.  Flipping around as Gwyn's pretty comedic took.

And now I feel the need to Prepare for.... something....

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: August 25, 2012, 03:21:11 AM »
Bearsona 4 Bearena:  Started playing online as Teddie.  Not doing too badly so far.

Lulz moment:  I do the Kintoki Douji random item toss and get the floating parachute bomb.  Opponent Labrys does her Shinryuuken-esque super which I block.  I dash forward and throw her... right into the floating bomb.  JUST AS PLANNED.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: August 25, 2012, 04:31:30 AM »
Seriously, LAZERS will see you through most of the time. Failing that, her autocombo does horrible things if you have the SP to complete it (and she has auto SP Up, soooo...) She'd be broken if she weren't so frail.

Elizabeth honestly is a weak character.
Her normal's start up frame count and hit box is to be desired. Lacking good middles in general. Most of her combos aren't stable but situational, and effectively making the trick Mahasundyne based combos even trickier. Yet, her damage is not reliable without proper loops of Mahasundyne. The hit box of her counter is also pretty weird, which can out right missed.

To user her effectively takes a lot patience and chipping, which isn't really fun.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1770 on: August 25, 2012, 05:20:12 AM »
FF13: Finished.

The final boss (Form 2 out of 3) was a bastard! I really would have liked to see more really challenging battles like this one during the whole game. I won with Fang/Vanille/Hope by poisoning his angelic ass twice. (Awesome)

A few issues made the fight less enjoyable than it should have been. There are two killer statuses to inflict on Oprhan (Slow and Poison), the others being pretty much worthless. Unfortunately, sabs just love to lower defense/magic defense
The other is accurate instant death in a game where MC death = game over... The 30% ID protection from the accessory being completely worthless. Hope's Veil, fortunately, was better.
Sazh sure gets outclassed by Hope lategame, by the way.

Originality in RPGs is great, and it's easy to forget when a well known game like FF tries to be different.
It's also easy to see something different and think it's deeper than it really is.
Like often, the execution needs a lot of work. It feels like too many different people worked on the game without communicating, or that there were changes of plans about the whole nature of the game too many times. When an aspect of the game almost manages greatness, another aspect of the game tries to undermine it.

Ultimately, the game does a bunch of terrible things (No cities + Linearity not being terrible things), but I can't say I didn't enjoy the ride.

On to hunt a hell of a lot more monsters, hoping I can do something with Fang/Vanille/Snow (because Sazh is worthless and I don't want Hope)

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: August 25, 2012, 06:15:52 AM »
Snow can get the defensive buffs which are the only ones you -really- need for a lot of the tougher fights, so you can probably make do there. Though personally I found part of the fun of the aftergame was switching people around as different fights will definitely call for different approaches.

Deprotect/Deshell are pretty huge (+89% damage boost) so I was quite happy the AI gave those a pretty high priority in general. If you're controlling one of your Saboteurs (and I'd suggest so in that fight certainly, don't think it rewards buff micromanagement) then you can force out either Slow or Poison. Two Sabs should land all the statuses you need quickly enough, both because they raise each other's hit rates slightly and because you can influence what the other does by landing the statuses she'll prioritise over the one you want.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: August 25, 2012, 03:05:40 PM »
WA4 Speedrun - Back up to Etemananki again. Redid last segment cause I wasn't satisfied with the execution. I saved an extra 8 seconds as a result. Up by about 10 minutes and 24 seconds overall. Highly doubt I can cut the time down to sub 5 hours, but it will be interesting to see how all the new ideas pan out.

I got a chance to test my Guardian Chimera strat, and it kills him pretty quick when it works, which in theory should be pretty often. In practice, he prefers to troll me by walking back and forth instead of attacking OR kick my ass by spamming the 2HKO MT elemental summons because I decide not to use Slow Down. That asshole.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: August 25, 2012, 11:35:30 PM »
Shadow Hearts 3 challenge continued

Next up is Aito Cave. Before going there I take care of a few odds and ends back in New York (South Pacific -> NYC -> South Pacific and not a step lost behind the villains, I am a pro traveller). Lenny-related hilarity nets Phone Call, my first L-radius attack. And a new lotto member has shown up in Times Square; her prize is Cure Plus, so now both PCs can fully heal single targets without expensive/rare items. Also Vilcabama has Ascetics' Earrings which mean more soul gain, hard to argue with keeping this on one PC at all times.

Anyway, the randoms: (1 reset)

They're a step up, which is good. They're the first enemies to cast L3 spells, which mostly matters for spell radius... the power actually isn't anything special.

Cabracan is the most notable. They cast magic (Red Gravity) only extremely rarely. Most often they will use physicals, which hurt quite a bit (3HKO Johnny 4HKO Shania). They start near a full stock gauge and a double involves two physicals, one adding Reverse Ring. They have well over 400 HP, a relatively beastly amount which I typically take down with two Raged Shania physicals and one helper move from Johnny. They have a weakness, though: they can be petrified, maybe around half the time, with Petrify 1. (Shania gets that; Johnny gets poison as it hits most things here, but I don't use his physical often.)

Charkmols are relatively fragile but still out of reach of Johnny OHKO. They sometimes cast Rock Javelin which hits a line (and unlike the previous earth spell, can't be avoided by flying), or Cure which isn't too big a deal as it maybe erases one Shania ST turn worth of damage, who cares. They like to use Random Ring which is annoying as hell though, although it's attached to a relatively unimpressive physical. They seem to know their own damage is unimpressive, as they always Combo instead of Double, and again start close to a full stock gauge.

Saskachilli has Bright Decide, which hits an unfused Shania quite hard and has a huge radius. They also will cast Arc Barrier which makes Johnny particularly unhappy. Thie physical is also extremely annoying, as it both destroys stock and inflicts Slow. Ugh. They are immune to all fatal/fully debilitating status and have a respectable 220 HP so there's no easy out with them, but the decent damage and stock breaking and slow makes them priority #1.

With a Small Jug, a Surged Current Breath can OHKO Saskachillis (and obviously gets the much more fragile Chakmols). Simply casting two successive dark spells is even more cost-efficient but doesn't have the same radius, unless I use Evil Shade which has a huge lag associated so no thanks. Entrance Evil Eye also works if I feel like beatsticking Johnny's MP instead of Shania's. It's not a big deal either way, I have more than enough MP restoring at this point. Otherwise, the usual array of Shania physicals, appropriate magic attacks, and appropriate offensive buffs deals with things. If things go south (and with enemy offence and ring status it certainly can), no need to be shy at falling back on healing and even occasionally Johnny defending as per the Kerufe fight strategy.

Ring status here is common enough that I use a Pocket Watch on Shania to assure that the person responsible for killing things does so reliably. She has that, a Small Jug, and a belt (bit of a defensive hit, but one she can afford). Johnny gets the utility accessories of Warning Device and Ascetic Earrings, as well as a headgear to not die as much.

Delget (4 resets)

He's a pain, but not as bad as the reset count makes him look.

Delget's most memorable gimmick is petrify. It's ~50%, MT, fast recharge like all other status effects (I now think it's about a 3x recharge time). Obviously if you are vulnerable to it, bad things happen. I guess it might be doable with only one Mirror Bracelet, but I bought a second for a reason and I'm not shy about using it. The nice thing is that this means Delget will waste some of his turns trying to stone me anyway. Unlike some previous bosses, there's no statute of limitations on the use of his status move... I get to see it all battle long and it's always a welcome sight, even if it doesn't actually waste much of his time.

His other moves are, as usual, a physical and a spell of his element. The spell, Rock Javelin, isn't too bad... it almost never hits two people and only 3HKOs. The physicals are the problem. Not only do they 2HKO anyone (La Sirene with Shield is the only way to avoid this), but one of his two physicals carries Fast Ring. It's a big enough annoyance that I end up restoring the status, which is a huge waste of time since you also need to heal or die after he uses it.

If he gets a Double, it's always physical + an earth spell (either Rock Javelin or combo magic), either one one-rounds anyone. Again La Sirene in shield can survive, but that's it.

First turn he gets below half HP he'll use Energy Charge. Next is a physical, time to die unless you're defending, or (yet again) La Sirene with Shield.

My resets pretty much all come from figuring out the battle and banging my head against a wall due to Fast Ring. Eventually I realise I should just throw Pocket Watches on both PCs. The last two accessory slots go towards a Blood Jewel and Ascetic's Earrings. This means I have no accessories boosting my offence or defence (besides the tiny boost from the statusblockers) but ultimately all this does is make the battle take a little longer and make Arc Cure a little less adequate, so the tradeoff is worth it.

Besides that, largely the usual. Rage and Air Edge on Shania, Hard Hit if he has more than half a stock gauge to stop that noise. Johnny can Vacuum or Hard Hit himself if necessary... doubles can disrupt buffs and lead to a clear path to defeat, especially if Shania dies since Johnny has no Resurrection and Delget can kill Shania even after a Raise Up + Arc Cure double (you can't use ST healing on a revived PC in a double, sadly). Arc Gale I use once if Johnny really has nothing better to do with his turn, Arc Shield a little more often (it lets Shania survive a few things she wouldn't otherwise, and means Johnny doesn't need to heal/defend after a Rock Javelin, though the physicals still 2HKO him). Johnny defending if he's somewhat beaten up remains a good strategy as attacks against him are largely wasted, and attacks against Shania allow me to more efficiently heal with Arc Cure. Howling if Shania runs low on Sanity, Blood Jewel takes care of Johnny on that front. It's a long fight so I need to use one Mana Root on each PC.

The only other consideration is Energy Charge, since it can of course lead to bad things. Fortunately it's pretty telgraphed, so I can have one PC defending, and the other PC (Shania of course, since she's the attacker) in Shield. Fortunately I discovered the pleasant way that shield does, in fact, just let her survive. Hooray!

Delget's also vulnerable to P-Attack Down 2, which I really should have used but I didn't think to check his immunities until after I beat him. It would help keep some of his damage under control... he'd almost certainly fail to 2HKO Shania and shielded Johnny, and possibly unshielded Johnny as well, under that status. Dunno how accurate it would have been, of course.

Levels were 30.

After he's dead, a bunch of new stuff shows up in Arkham. New lottery member, although at this point all remaining lottery members carry equips I don't care about as their top prizes, so I just grab a new Johnny-only belt, and try to care. I also get the final stellar chart in the game, which doesn't even have as many nodes as the Saggitarius I'm using so who cares.

Most interesting are the new set of Lovecraft battles, most interesting because of how hilariously ill-equipped I am to deal with most of them. There's:

-One that requires me to use the combo magic Air Shot, which is completely impossible with only two PCs.
-One that requires me to do a 70-hit combo. While this can be done with two PCs, the earliest I'll be able to do it is after acquiring Tirawa (or Natan's final gun fu).
-One that requires me to kill Delget before he gets three turns. Um I think he got about 50 a moment ago. This might also be doable post-Tirawa as well, though. Maybe.

Finally, there's one which bans stellars/items and sends me against Vilcabamba randoms with beefed HP and 1 starting stock gauge. This is actually not too bad, as Shania can still use all her spells, so she can heal (Cure Plus), revive (Resurrection), and heal her own MP (Mind Assault). Johnny can't do very much, but Phone Call does some decent damage and breaks enemy stock. He can't exactly spam it due to MP limits but one use per fight is certainly an option and helps. Otherwise I have him poison things with his physical and defend. Not too bad, and gets me the L3 light spell. I already have the L3 ice and wind spells from the previous dungeon, and will get the next three in the upcoming dungeon.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: August 26, 2012, 03:20:04 AM »
Snow can get the defensive buffs which are the only ones you -really- need for a lot of the tougher fights, so you can probably make do there. Though personally I found part of the fun of the aftergame was switching people around as different fights will definitely call for different approaches.
Yeah, I've dropped the idea and am trying to switch parties according to each fight. I can't live without a Syn and exp costs for secondary roles are too outrageously high to bother with them on a normal playthrough. Since Lightning feels like the only truly useless character by now (Crappy main classes) I put all her exp into the sab tree. She still is the worst Sab by far, isn't even close from mastering the tree, and has 2900 HPs when everybody else has 10000+.

Deprotect/Deshell are pretty huge (+89% damage boost) so I was quite happy the AI gave those a pretty high priority in general. If you're controlling one of your Saboteurs (and I'd suggest so in that fight certainly, don't think it rewards buff micromanagement) then you can force out either Slow or Poison. Two Sabs should land all the statuses you need quickly enough, both because they raise each other's hit rates slightly and because you can influence what the other does by landing the statuses she'll prioritise over the one you want.
Yeah, I controlled Fang during the game to cast Slowx5. This wasn't a large issue, more of a small annoyance as nearly all my damage against the final comes from poizn. Deprotect/Deshell/Imperil having high priority are nice for the easy fights in the game, not for the hardest ones...
This was just a general "Freaking AI!!! *shakes fist*" comment.

Lots of empty space to cross in the aftergame. I've beaten most missions, can beat a lot more on paper (I just need to get to them...), but I have no idea how to deal with the last few ones (Gigantuar in particular) Killing Neochu and Zinitra was great. I still don't really know if I'm supposed to farm somewhere or something, and haven't really touched upgrading.