Author Topic: What Games ya Playin' 2012 - Suplex a Train Edition  (Read 234720 times)

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
Re: What Games ya Playin' 2012 - Suplex a Train Edition
« Reply #2425 on: November 29, 2012, 06:17:26 AM »
Hotline Miami: Sounds like shit, looks like shit, hard as fuck, brilliant.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: November 29, 2012, 07:05:44 AM »
You don't see me praising the GameCube or N64 to high heavens either.  Difference being neither of this was a market leader for install base nor did I spend more than $60 on m GameCube.  I gave Nintendo a chance to perform the one time in the last decade and a half they have had a real chance to do something outside the handheld market and they who the bed like they did when they were less relevant.  So yeah I am not going out of my way to jump on board when they are pulling a Sega.

The fact that the Gizmondo was a mafia front makes it instantly more interesting than many Nintendo consoles.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2427 on: November 29, 2012, 08:55:14 AM »
*shrugs* WiiU is likely to have my next scheduled dose of Mario RPGs, Kirby, and Smash Bros? That's probably enough. Even better if Xenoblade or The Last Story/MistWalker get more releases on it.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2428 on: November 29, 2012, 09:54:39 AM »
I'm more likely to pick it up than I am a new Xbox/PS3, given how rapidly those were eclipsed by my PC last time (and hey, if I like to use a controller with a game I can plug the thing in now). The Wii is at least not a neutered PC with a lot of the functionality locked away.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: November 29, 2012, 10:39:54 AM »
Assassin's Creed 3 - So I started this up.  It introduced me to the worst mini game in the world.  9 Men's Morris is a carefully constructed stalemate simulator.  Casual attempts to learn it can instantly turn into cock blocking stalemates at the drop of a hat.  Think you are starting to win?  Nope.  Get an opponent down to 3 pieces and you have INSTANT COCKBLOCK MODE ENGAGED.

It is like someone thought the series need Noughts and Crosses but decided that it was too decisive a game to gamble with and they needed a way to make it so you can piss away half an hour on a Noughts and Crosses variant.

Edit - Just to clarify, this means that of the two open world roaming games set in the Frontier period, this has the inferior period relevant minigame.  GUN does it better with cheating poker.  MISSION ACCOMPLISHED KAITLYN.

Edit 2 - It is a solved game.  Solved back in the 90s.  Soooooo yeah if you don't know stuff you can easily be stuck fucking around against a computer AI opponent forever.  Especially since AI seems to favour play to not lose over play to win even during the opening sequence.

Just boring as fuck.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 10:52:52 AM by Grefter »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2430 on: November 29, 2012, 01:19:52 PM »
SD Detective Blade: Bought a chainsaw from Al Capone.
He also has a beam cannon but it costs 36750 $. The chainsaw will do.

Devil Survivor 2: Just beat the terrifying Budhe.
I'm not really feeling it. The plot is a lot less engaging than Devil Survivor 1's, mostly because 2 is just telling the same story with characters not taking anything as seriously. The music's unremarkable too.
Io's breasts = -_-
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 01:22:56 PM by Fenrir »

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: November 29, 2012, 02:17:46 PM »
Assassin's Creed 3 - So I started this up.  It introduced me to the worst mini game in the world.  9 Men's Morris is a carefully constructed stalemate simulator.  Casual attempts to learn it can instantly turn into cock blocking stalemates at the drop of a hat.  Think you are starting to win?  Nope.  Get an opponent down to 3 pieces and you have INSTANT COCKBLOCK MODE ENGAGED.

It is like someone thought the series need Noughts and Crosses but decided that it was too decisive a game to gamble with and they needed a way to make it so you can piss away half an hour on a Noughts and Crosses variant.

Edit - Just to clarify, this means that of the two open world roaming games set in the Frontier period, this has the inferior period relevant minigame.  GUN does it better with cheating poker.  MISSION ACCOMPLISHED KAITLYN.

Edit 2 - It is a solved game.  Solved back in the 90s.  Soooooo yeah if you don't know stuff you can easily be stuck fucking around against a computer AI opponent forever.  Especially since AI seems to favour play to not lose over play to win even during the opening sequence.

Just boring as fuck.

And the best part is beating it at your eventual home base is required for an achievement but sometimes it bugs out and doesn't give credit!  JKAIGFOISAVFIAFVSAIF

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: November 29, 2012, 02:59:35 PM »
Honestly, on the whole, i think the Wii U's gimmick is a lot stronger then the Wii's was, which gives me some hope for the system. At the very least, it has the cute distinction of being able to play games while your SO watches TV?

I have some interest in picking it up, like I said, but think I'll hold off until Rayman Legends (or something else interesting) drops.

That's kind of been the issue for me lately. A lot of stuff has had god awful launch line-ups, and increased multi-platformness is not helping if you've already invested elsewhere. I think the 3DS is finally hitting the point that there are games on it I'd actually like? Vita has some stuff, but, unfortunately, it is all stuff I can already buy on the PS3. Wii U is in a similar spot, but shows some hope with a couple of exclusives.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2433 on: November 29, 2012, 04:18:06 PM »
Fenrir- The plot does go in a different direction once you're past the first day or so, so it feels like a bit less of a retread at least.  The music and character design however only get worse and the continual tonal dissonance must be intentional because it's pretty steady throughout.  I still like the second game more, but because it's more enjoyable to sit and play due to improved mechanics, I wish you could take the first game and put it over top of this one's guts.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: December 01, 2012, 06:41:17 AM »
Lost Odyssey: Making decent progress in this, even if I keep falling asleep (quite literally) while playing the game. :( Died once to Living Ice, only reset since that worm way back on disc 1. MT OHKO if you don't watch your GC... or just buff your MDef, which I did second time and he wasn't too bad.

Kid Icarus: Uprising - I beat this! Great game overall. Managed to keep the gameplay fresh and fun throughout. It's not a perfect game... in particular, only having one button is a bit limiting for the gameplay. It somewhat manages by tying the different types of attacks to how you happen to be moving at the time, and what you're locked onto (which you choose with the stylus), but it still means the game lacks, say, a jump button, and choosing special abilities in a heated fight is a bit awkward. Enemy design is pretty good, boss design is a little hit and miss... which is to say, I've been spoiled by Devil May Cry and it's not on that tier. Quite a few bosses just feel like they could have used more damage/durability since their core design is fun. Fortunately the bosses who "should" be good generally are, with one notable exception, especially later in the game.

Controls are other possible point of contention, it is a bit difficult to find a comfortable way to hold the 3DS for the game, but I adjusted to it well enough. I tended to switch back and forth between supporting the 3DS in my right hand between my fourth and fifth fingers (same hand that holds the stylus), or resting the 3DS on my knee. The former has the advantage of allowing you to sit in any position, the latter has the advantage of letting you hold the stylus in a way that doesn't obstruct the lower screen in any way (mostly useful if you want to see silly facial expressions, the gameplay survives fine). Neither's perfect but there you go.

The way the game handles difficulty is interesting. You can basically set it wherever you want on a scale from 0 to 9 (2 is the default, 0 is piss easy, is mega-hard) but each time you die it drops by 1, or halfway to 2, whichever is less (unless you restart the whole level), capping at the default 2. Once you get a sense of your own abilities and the difficulty scale you can put the slider to a pretty good place and it's good fun. I eventually settled on starting most levels around 6, though I usually died once or twice so it would be loewr by the time I finished. In Chapter 22 it dropped all the way to 2.2 because that chapter (a) has a lot of flying, which I tend to find a bit more difficult relatively due to less genre experience, and (b) has an unusually difficult boss. The final chapter was kinda disappoiting gameplaywise; you get a new "form" essentially (which you have to learn) and the fight is pretty easy.

The writing is of course a joy. Can't say enough good things about just throwing the dialog straight into the battle sequences, definitely helps the gameflow. Wouldn't work for every story, but since most of the dialog in the game comes not from Pit (though he gets his fair share, certainly), it works. I guess if you're bad at multitasking you might want to try to avoid combat if you really want to pay attention to the dialog, but I didn't have trouble finding a happy medium personally between paying attention to gameplay and to plot. Beyond that, as I've mentioned previously, the game does a great job of making most characters memorable, even relatively minor ones. Certainly the show-stealers are Palutena (Pit's patron deity and a pile of aloof snark and trolling), Hades (Satan, if he were played by Tim Curry), Viridi (prickly nature goddess who mocks Pit at every turn), and Pyrrhon (over-the-top ham in the tradition of Flay)... and the first three are probably the most important characters (along with Pit), which is nice!

The game does try to serious plot at points and... sometimes even does a decent job of it! I was pretty impressed that in chapters 18-22, the game made me care about the loss of first Palutena, then Pit. On the other hand, I'm a bit less impressed by the game making a push lategame to make Hades into a supervillain after he'd cooperated with you against more evil opponents, while pretty much letting Viridi the mass murderer off the hook entirely. The game does some pretty fun playing around with the moral relativism of the various deities' outlooks, I thought, although it doesn't ultimately follow through on this (unless you take a very dark view of the last three chapters' plot, I suppose!).

Music's good! Plenty of nice callbacks to the NES music, which probably only I care about, but as a standalone there's a lot to like there. Boss musics are rockin', some of the stage music is really good too, and I liked how the music synced up nicely with the on-rails shooter sections. Visuals are fine, less impressive certainly, but that's just the nature of comparing handhelds to non-handhelds. The visuals are certainly fine for what they are, and the artstyle for characters is certainly sharp. I didn't use the 3D much sadly because I only like 3DS 3D when I can hold the system very steady, and the game's control scheme makes that a bit harder. It's a shame because when I did use the 3D it suits the shooter sections very well, and does actually help with one section of the final boss fight nicely.

So yeah, very pleased with this game. 9/10, obviously not perfect but it does so much right. Not sure whether I rate it above Devil May Cry or not, but probably above every other 3D action game I've played. Just does a lot of things right, and a game I highly recommend anyone whose tastes go beyond RPGs and who owns a 3DS to check out.

Game took me about 12 hours to beat, but I'm nowhere near done with it. Replaying stages on higher intensities, and doing the achievement-esque "treasure hunts" still to come.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: December 01, 2012, 08:14:09 AM »
Fenrir- The plot does go in a different direction once you're past the first day or so, so it feels like a bit less of a retread at least.  The music and character design however only get worse and the continual tonal dissonance must be intentional because it's pretty steady throughout.  I still like the second game more, but because it's more enjoyable to sit and play due to improved mechanics, I wish you could take the first game and put it over top of this one's guts.

I thought music is actually the part that DS2 completely surpassed DS1.
DS1's tracks although fitting, get boring really really quick. Especially the battle theme, which is a huge minus on my part.
I had a lot less of that problem in the second game.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: December 01, 2012, 08:45:31 AM »
Rayman Origins: Ashley and I cleared it, including the Land of the Livid Dead.

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: December 01, 2012, 08:54:11 AM »
Such a brief review leaves out the agony of doing the same 15-second portion of a level again. and again. and again.

This is definitely one of those multiplayer games that makes you hate every other human being, or at least the one holding the other controller.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: December 01, 2012, 10:51:43 AM »
Such a brief review leaves out the agony of doing the same 15-second portion of a level again. and again. and again.

This is definitely one of those multiplayer games that makes you hate every other human being, or at least the one holding the other controller.

So, it's a perfect game for couples.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: December 01, 2012, 12:15:34 PM »
Get Little Big Planet, far less aggravating.

Assassin's Creed 3 - So now that I am not raging at shitty minigames (there was a second one...............................................................................................) and actually playing the game I am having fun.  Colonial America is unfortunately about as boring a free running setting as I expected.  Brown 2 story buildings are significantly less fun than like say Venice or Rome.  Still combat stuff is slick now with some nice animations (good violence).  They changed the controls, don't really like them.  They are easier to use, but had spent 4 games getting used to what they did have, switching it is just jarring.

Not looking forward to swapping mains to Connor when Hatham is going to inevitably die (Not spoilers, is in all the press that not first dude is main character).  Hatham is decidedly different from Altair and Ezio so much that I enjoy him and he is clearly experienced and in the thick of the conspiracy from the start.  Not running around in a deep cowl at this point is a nice change.  Pimpsassin in tricorn hat and long jacket?  Fuck yes.

Edit - Oh and Benjamin Frankling rambling off his treatise on why MILFs are sexy was blergh.  Ben Frankling infinitely less awesome supporting character than Leonardo Davinci

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: December 01, 2012, 02:58:26 PM »
LBP has terrible floaty controls. It's unplayable right after Rayman Origins.

Cmdr: I think we'd agree, but since I haven't played Devil Survivor 1 in a while I don't even notice any polish differences between the game.
Niu we just have opposite tastes here. DS1's regular battle theme is so catchy it nearly made the game for me and I never got tired of it. DS1's themes are overused but great, DS2's are completely unremarkable.

Space Detective Blader: Finished. It's... a cute game. But a worse Great Greed in every way. It's a solo wacky short turn based RPG, but slower and far less stupid.
Here is the radical final boss:

(I know, it's unreasonable to hold a game to such high standards)

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2441 on: December 01, 2012, 06:48:28 PM »
Haytham's arc concludes with a twist that I found legitimately surprising but not contrived. It was actually pretty impressive.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: December 01, 2012, 08:41:22 PM »
Ys Origin - Hugo mode beaten! Holy -crap- his Burst is completely broken, why yes let us make you invincible for long enough to charge half the Boost Gauge so you can cheese the rest of the recovery with Force Shield and get into the Burst invinco loop again OH AND THE SHIELD DEALS DAMAGE ISN'T THIS SWEET - jesus. Now, to Yunica mode on Hard difficulty, because I was somewhat disappointed in the final. No resets? Really?

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: December 02, 2012, 08:58:20 AM »
Rayman Origins: The journey towards a Platinum trophy continues. Ashley and I will probably kill each other before this is over.

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition: Have this, but haven't played it much. Seems to do its job, though.

Saint's Row the Third: Yeah. This is... a thing. A fun thing. But mostly a thing.

Guild Wars 2: Slowly starting to play this again.

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: December 02, 2012, 03:29:11 PM »
Torchlight 2: Act II. Rather than restrain myself from pumping Rapid Fire, I've used all my equipment sockets to pump mana regen, so now I don't have to worry about emptying my reserves by spamming the thing. Works pretty well. I'm definitely fragile, though. The only thing that even approaches a defensive skill is Vault, and that's not really a fire-and-forget. Useful when the enemies crowd so thick that you can't actually find any ground to click on, but it doesn't do much to keep my alive while I'm standing my ground and shooting stuff.

Also I finally unlocked the spell salesman. That took a while.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 04:28:44 PM by Shale »
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2445 on: December 02, 2012, 09:48:41 PM »
Little Inferno - So this game is fantastic.  Doable in a single session.  Not much of a game, more an interactive story (not a VN).  Uplifting story about setting things on fire.

Very easy to see it is from the same guys that made World of Goo.  World of Goo was fantastic as well.  You should buy this and play it when you are in a bad mood or in a funk.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: December 03, 2012, 02:16:46 AM »
Rainbow Silkroad:
So this is Dragon Quest except you don't get any experience or gold from enemies. What truly matters is the trading system, you just need to buy oil in x village and sell it in y village where you buy silk instead. This gets you $$, which gives you equipment, which gives you stats increases. I've created an excel file to keep track of all that, and I now have approximatively $$$$$$. Battles give you licence points which allow you to buy even more stuff.
Dungeons are just an equipment check with an even worse encounter rate than SD Detective Blader at times.

Sega All Star Racing Transformed: I know who each one of those racers are, except Daniela Patrick. Turns out she's the only actual existing human being in the game.
Anyway it is completely excellent and has largely surpassed Mario Kart. There's no nonsense like blue shells, and it's easier to pick up and play, faster paced, more mechanically satisfying, etc. And everything in the game can be played with split screen co-op.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 02:18:35 AM by Fenrir »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: December 03, 2012, 05:30:58 AM »
Never change.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: December 03, 2012, 10:40:23 PM »
Wait until I talk about STED: Starfield of Memorable Relics next
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 10:50:18 PM by Fenrir »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: December 03, 2012, 11:21:21 PM »
Fenrir bestest Fenrir.