Author Topic: What Games ya Playin' 2012 - Suplex a Train Edition  (Read 234688 times)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Re: What Games ya Playin' 2012 - Suplex a Train Edition
« Reply #2600 on: December 26, 2012, 03:10:18 PM »
Dust: An Elysian Tale: Picked this up in the Xbox end-of-year sale. Fun Metroidvania-thing. Character designs look like they come from a furry comic, but the actual animation is really nice, the gameplay is fun and the writing is pretty sharp. By which I mean it drops Ghostbusters references into sidequests.

So, it's like Blade Kitten if Blade Kitten wasn't a horrible monstrosity born from webcomic self-congratulatory masturbation?
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: December 26, 2012, 05:41:38 PM »
I do agree with Robertino's and Yamato's paths both being unappealing. Glad to see Ricardo's utopia is not seen in a positive light the whole game.

It almost seems like law and chaos should be switched? Thinking about it, I guess Rolando is more neutral than chaos.
Still, Yamato = Law = Crazy Ayn Rand world = Darwinism
while in Strange Journey for example, Chaos = Darwinism while Law = Everybody is equal (and brainwashed)

Snow: Romancing SaGa 3 boss stat topic?? (That'd be pretty great)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 05:57:52 PM by Fenrir »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: December 26, 2012, 05:48:10 PM »
Fenrir: I'm gathering data for the plot-relevant bosses and Djinn's done some mass scavenging on the mechanics so we can pull out a comprehensive stat topic eventually. IF anyone cares, I may do a later replay for data on the loser bosses (SAVE US FROM MAXIMUS OF THE 5HKO PHYSICAL AND STATUSABLE SUPPORT PLEASE). Scaling is going to be -even more- of a mess than it already is for the Abyss Guardians, though, because RS3 manages to be more sandboxy than SF by a considerable degree (it's absolutely hilarious how you could pretty much fight the Guardians in any order you wanted. Forneus at 400 HP for borderline Bluelike).

EDIT: You're probably going to multiply the boss HP scaling figures I'll apply to the topic by 2.5x and it will be GLORIOUS~

(Never leave again <3)

EDIT2: Did you know Buné's very first form immunes shot attacks? Yeah, me neither. Considering how you can 2HKO that phase -in-game- pretty handily...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 06:04:12 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: December 26, 2012, 06:08:13 PM »
I care!!!!
Rank Boston (oh wait, no DL, right)
I would actually do an Unlimited Saga boss stat topic (if I had any reasonable way to get boss HP...)

I've fought bluelike Forneus once, because I wanted Black early. I remember the battle being pretty much "lol eat a tsunami"

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: December 26, 2012, 06:16:00 PM »
I did that before, too. So not worth it. And, if it's any consolation, I've yet to see an Abyss Guardian that doesn't at least skirt the Godlike border! (please ignore how Alloces curls himself into a ball in tears whenever the doctor asks him to point on the expository doll where the bad Arnaud touched him).

And I'll try replaying the game once again as soon as I'm finished with this data gathering. Come to think of it, there's a fucking car as a boss in that game, of course it's worth topiccing.

EDIT: Also, from a cursory glance, Boston will make Heavy because Tiger Break is hilariously busted and runs off 20 RS3 speed on him. No really, I think the only person whose damage it won't save is Snowman's, and it risks taking him out of the gutter -anyway- in spite of his egregious offense stat spread. It's the hardest tech to learn in the whole game for a reason, I guess. NOTHING explains why Harvest Moon is on that tier, though.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 07:55:36 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: December 26, 2012, 11:43:21 PM »
DE: HR

Finished. I got cheated out of Pacifist, but whatever, as far as I'm concerned I beat the game without killing anyone.   The stage design of the last area definitely shows signs of being rushed (particularly because it's so... short.  Surprisingly so), though it was nice having enemies do something other than being patrolling guards.  Granted, given how tedious that segment was compared to how fun I found the patrolling guards sections, I'm glad it didn't extend past this area.

Definitely a game I'd recommend, for all it's flaws.  I'd say it's pretty handily better than the first Deus Ex, given that its gameplay is much more polished, and the biggest flaws are shared between the two games.  I mentioned it in chat around when I beat it, but the series' writers need to wake up and realize that while not every story needs a definite ending, giving you a multiple-choice Ending and not showing the consequences of your choice makes the player feel fucking cheated.  I'm pretty sure at least one of the endings basically said, "What does this choice mean for humanity? I guess we'll have to find out.  ROLL CREDITS."  No, fuck you, game. 

Anyway, if you liked Deus Ex 1 and your computer can handle it, you should definitely pick up this game.  The ending is just a glaring flaw on an otherwise fine product.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: December 27, 2012, 12:56:53 AM »
butt zenny u r on the internet and if the last 5 minutes was not perfect you should be petitioning to delete the entire game from existence because it retroactively ruind all the games ever made by the company
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: December 27, 2012, 01:07:12 AM »
OMD2- Finished the DLC levels. The yeti pack is a notable upgrade in c hallenge- I can't fucking five skull chill caverns on nightmare without barricade abuse.  Judging from the comments on the robot forums, the really hardcore players have the same issue. Fuck goblin sappers. They disable your traps and they come in massive swarms. You have to rely on guardians to have a prayer of finishing the level, which on Nightmare is pretty tough even with the revival trinket for guardians.

Had a lot of fun with the new weapons and monster types - though I wish The Tower had been a normal level in classic mode, rather than an endless mode stage.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: December 27, 2012, 01:24:13 AM »
P4:G - Started played about 2 days and then passed out.  Decided that it was too hard to play on the bus.  Will probably be my nightly game though for the Sopbros.

POKEMANS: Scream Blacula Scream - Started.  I am a girl.  Not being able to run made me frustrated and just turn it off and listen to my Comics podcast on the bus more closely.  Seriously Nintendo, cut that shit out.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: December 27, 2012, 04:43:45 AM »
KH-triple D cups:  I have learned how to masturbate Pokemon.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2610 on: December 27, 2012, 05:24:58 AM »

Bobbin Cranbud

• Denizen
    • View Profile
    • The Writing of Joshua Cole
« Reply #2611 on: December 27, 2012, 03:08:33 PM »
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

1998 called, it wants me back and I'm happy to go. Aggressively traditional right down to the first dungeon being a sewer, but executed with a lot of style. The combat system seems interesting (although whether it's only superficially so or actually has depth and challenge remains to be seen) and the writing is top notch. Estelle is a delightful main and her interplay with Joshua is fun.

I'm curious how straight they're going to play the various tropes they've breadcrumbed so far, and how SRS BSNS the plot is going to get. So far they haven't averted anything but they might!

Current predictions:

Cassius will not get killed offscreen but will disappear; if they go SRS BSNS mode Estelle (and Joshua if he hasn't left) will catch up with him and he'll die saving them
Orbments will turn out to have some hideous environmental cost and that's why monsters attack them
Estelle and Joshua will end up the canon ship because Japan loves them some siscon
The Empire will invade on the Queen's birthday
The Orbment being sent for the Queen's birthday will somehow be made into a bomb
Joshua is some kind of male Barrier Maiden
Joshua will leave the party at some point because of his Dark Past but later rejoin

I don't particularly care whether they play these straight or not, but I'd rather they not go full on SRS BSNS mode with the whole thing because right now the character interplay is the best part of the writing, and it takes a past master to keep up silliness like Estelle's when shit gets real without making the character seem emotionally hollow.

Battle for Wesnoth

I should stop playing Survival maps without a Less Randomness mod.

League of Legends

Still playing left-handed (mousing left-handed, anyway), so I've yet to seriously PVP in S3, but melee AD casters have suddenly become so fun. I used to be terrible as Pantheon and now I can lead a (Int bots, but still, it's not like my teammates are any better/worse for it) game in kills with him. Ravenous Hydra is too fun, Black Cleaver even after the nerf is great.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 03:27:52 PM by Bobbin Cranbud »
Read my webnovel, Eye Opener, now available on RoyalRoad.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: December 27, 2012, 06:59:08 PM »
Just got back from Florida!  I didn't play as much as...ok, not sure what is expected, but I didn't play that much!

PLaystation All-Stars Battle Royale: Beat the game with Kratos, Parapa, Radec, Fat Princess, Sweet Tooth and Sly Cooper. Why those?  Because that's the order they appear in the game, figure easier to keep track of stuff that way...shut up about how the game PLAINLY LISTS your completion rate with these characters. Thoughts on each so far...

Kratos: Boring.  They didn't even bother trying to make him balanced; he's got a bunch of iffy moves...then one ridiculously overpowered move that basically spam it -> win.  HIs level 2 and 3 Supers are really good, his level 1 sucks and doesn't seem to have any reliable hit confirms.  He's the exact kind of overpowered that is bad for a game like this:
Stupid easy to use and promotes using bad habits (eg spam one move -> win.)  Why is said move so good?

Good range, faster than it should be, builds up good amount of gauge (aka the only way to kill things), massive knock back (making it combined with the range hard as hell to punish), AND TRACKS OPPONENT.  The other moves aren't necessarily bad, but have obvious flaws and balance factors...the forward Square has none of those.

Parapa the Rapper: For a character you'd think would be gimmicky...he's actually a good beginner character for getting a hang of the game.  Surprisingly basic, moves are straight forward, attacks are intuitive, etc.  It's really no shock they made him the tutorial character.   Also is one of those "have fun" characters as opposed to "look at me I'm bad ass" so you just get a better sense of having fun playing him.

Fat Princess: ...confusing.  She's gimmicky but I can't figure out what her gimmick is!  All I know is I've heard "CAKE, PLEASE!!!" too many times and it's kind of an awkward level 1...and I mean that in more than simply execution!

Sweet Tooth: Fire Breathing Clown with guns and a machete, whose level 3 is basically Truck-Mech with missiles, what's not to love?  Ok, he's kind of awkward to use being slow, and moves don't combo too well, but his level 1 is just fun to watch when you hit it (He shoves a bomb on the person, sparta kicks them, they explode while aireborne; said explosion can kill others in splash damage thankfully.)

Radec: Long Range whore, as you'd expect from an FPS (?) character.  Not much to say; he shoots things, they go flying, though his level 1 is kind of annoying because you have to aim it.  Level 2 is nice and reliable though, so often just ends up being worth it to use that.  Not exactly a fan of his fighting style overall though, for all that his Morph Ball -> Teleport back spam move is fun to abuse.

Sly Cooper: ...ok, now here's one I really liked.  Sly's basic attacks are all straight forward and seem good, his specials are gimmicky but fun to muck with, and he's got status and such, but nothing that really leads to Level 1 Hit Confirms so they don't feel broken.  His level 1 is summoning his big side kick thing (never played the game, so I don't know who this is), and is surprisingly reliable too.  Level 2 is a power up style, which are often good, and lasts short enough time that he will only get 1 kill per opponent as by the time Respawning Immunity wears off, the super will have detracted.  His Level 3 is all kinds of hax, and easy to get 6 kills (two per opponent) with...but then, it's a level 3; if it's not hax, then not worth using.

Game is fun, and actually a good Smash Rip Off, main flaw being the draw of characters.  Sony's characters just aren't as intriguing as some companies though they at least had the sense to use a few 3rd partiers (even if Raiden and New!Dante are obvious "hey, promote our games coming out in 2013!", they still add some flavor.)

Medieval: Decided to download this because why not give it a shot? Also lets me appreciate one more character in the above game, and Sir Dan's design always brings a smile to me.

The gameplay is...dated.  Camera is awful and sometimes goes spinning arbitrarily.  It's a game that had some good ideas, but yeah, best way to put it is it's a 3D Action Game pre-Devil May Cry.  To the game's credit, the humor is quite good, so worth playing for that.

Currently at the SIlent Village trying to figure out what to do with the Crucifix Cast and all that.  Gotten all grails thus far, and beaten the Pumpkin King.

Lego Batman 2: This game came with the Vita.  I've just beaten the section where you first get to use Superman.

Actual Voice Acting is funny compliment to this game, because Batman's completely serious, Joker...is the Joker, Robin's a fanboy, and Superman is sort of a subtle parody of himself.  It works well, and I can see why they made the shift.

Gameplay...it's decent at first but then gets repetitive because it's "Find suit for Batman/Robin, use it to get through next section."  they don't really introduce much new...
That is until you get to play as Superman and he's got a plethora of tricks neither character in any of their suits can do, and the game gets a lot better there.  Looking forward to getting the other Super Heroes for that reason alone, because that feels like what will be the game's strength.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: December 28, 2012, 01:09:20 AM »
The 2nd Super Robot Wars Original Generation EPISODE 3 THE GAIA SAVIOR (We Can't Hold All These Trainwrecks Either): Started, cleared up to stage 7 of the Excellen and Mio Comedy Tour Masaki Route.  The gross ineptitude of enemies before the game switches over to hard mode really can't be overstated.  I mean they haven't been much better after the switchover either but at least they can scrape 5HKOs against a Rein Weissritter with no concrete durability investment when they manage to hit.  Other than that shiny game is shiny.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: December 28, 2012, 03:05:34 AM »
Fenrir: I'm gathering data for the plot-relevant bosses and Djinn's done some mass scavenging on the mechanics so we can pull out a comprehensive stat topic eventually. IF anyone cares, I may do a later replay for data on the loser bosses (SAVE US FROM MAXIMUS OF THE 5HKO PHYSICAL AND STATUSABLE SUPPORT PLEASE). Scaling is going to be -even more- of a mess than it already is for the Abyss Guardians, though, because RS3 manages to be more sandboxy than SF by a considerable degree (it's absolutely hilarious how you could pretty much fight the Guardians in any order you wanted. Forneus at 400 HP for borderline Bluelike).

EDIT: You're probably going to multiply the boss HP scaling figures I'll apply to the topic by 2.5x and it will be GLORIOUS~

(Never leave again <3)

EDIT2: Did you know Buné's very first form immunes shot attacks? Yeah, me neither. Considering how you can 2HKO that phase -in-game- pretty handily...

I want to say I have a RS3 hack calculator with all the mechanics and coding details down to the last bit due to following the RS3 hack community for decades. But I am too lazy to organize them for them to be any use....... Yeah, I'll just watch Djinn do his work.
On the other hand, Forneus at 400HP is perfectly doable with commander mode with the right set up. The problem is like every other SaGa game, you have to figure out what your equipment really do first.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: December 28, 2012, 09:45:12 AM »
Just because it's -doable-, doesn't mean it's fun. >_> Granted, having enough fish scales helps mitigate a lot of what he can do, since that trivializes Maelstrom to a degree and makes Squall fail all day long (at 400 HP, the 100 or so MT is fucking scary. With SaGa healing being what it is, nothing else is all that dangerous). I think I beat him at 500 HP just by abusing Fishscales, come to think of it, because 20k HP just doesn't last you all that long even at that HP range as long as you have your skills up-to-date (stuff like Spiral Charge and Headwind get you places, and by that point, 30+ attack weapons are viable).

Also, if you could please at least translate the status and ID formula, I'd be elated, because that's one of the things that sorta elude me from looking at the equations.

EDIT:

Excellen and Mio Comedy Tour

<Trollpresto> HAHAHAHAHAHA I MADE SNOW BUY A PS3
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 03:19:35 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: December 28, 2012, 10:31:42 AM »
ID and status sure, I can pull those out. Gimme a day or two to salvage the equation.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: December 28, 2012, 10:55:34 AM »
If you can actually tell us how the checks interact with status resistance, it'll be pretty much totes awesome, since this is what baffled me the most. The ID accuracy in particular surprised me, since, by a cursory reading of the formula, the ID moves available should be by all rights FAR LESS ACCURATE than they are pretty much across the board.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: December 28, 2012, 03:15:27 PM »
P4 - Still solidly in the introduction, just got Yosuke his Persona.  I am enjoying it more than I expected to (which was already pretty decent expectation).  Then suddenly the TV has news anchors hitting on and drooling over young teen girls and I want to stab Japan in the face.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: December 28, 2012, 03:18:06 PM »
Persona 4 and anime as fuck kinda walk hand in hand. You'll do a lot of stabbing.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: December 28, 2012, 07:45:38 PM »
My kid is too good at rhythm games.  Thirty minutes with Theatrhythm and he already is getting all-criticals on songs.  I did manage to Perfect Chain a Dark Note though, so yay.  First character unlocked is Cid, close to getting a couple more.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: December 28, 2012, 10:20:33 PM »
And yet, I still can't seem to get an All Critical yet.  I've gotten close but I tend to get a few stray Greats *shakes fist*
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: December 28, 2012, 10:25:28 PM »
My only All Criticals came when I did a few tracks on the lowest difficulty setting after putting 30 hours into the game.

Devil May Cry - Dante Must Die run. Griffon 1 was a real monster but he's dead now. Other bosses nasty but not as nasty. Randoms aren't so bad by comparison... yes, they Devil Trigger if you waste too much time but otherwise they seem no better than on Hard Mode. (Not that this is negligible, just nothing not seen before.) Shadows are still total badasses of course.

KIU - Knocking down treasure hunts mostly. I'm at something like 105/85/35 or so. Gold laurels on everything, beaten all stages on 5.0 intensity or about to.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: December 29, 2012, 12:38:21 AM »
The 2nd Super Robot Wars Original Generation EPISODE 3 THE GAIA SAVIOR (How I Stopped Worrying And Learned To Game The Partner System): Stage 11 of the Comedy Tour route went and gone, pretty sure I have enough kills on the SRW Gaiden folks to get shinies later, now I have to only killfeed Ibis but I've got pffft what 30 more stages to get her 40 or so?  e z bro.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: December 29, 2012, 02:21:53 AM »
Devil Survivor 2: Didn't really expect that difficulty spike for the last day!
I joined the Anguished one because it was either that or Daichi (and I'm not following Daichi)

In the first battle of the last day, an overleveled Shiva stays behind the team for a few rounds then slowly proceeds to hunt/destroy it. I've actually managed to kill Shiva and finish the battle with only Frans and Al... This involved Frans spamming 40 mag Holy Dance with Chaos Wave.
Somehow I did this and then immediately lost to freaking Daichi? And then freaking Jungo was OHKOed by a Keita physical? What the hell.

I've built a broken super Frans to counter all this. Holy Dance, Ziodyne, Media, Anti Most, Repel Phys, Mana Surge, Revive. He's almost invincible. Al Saiduq is not quite there yet, but he's not bad either.

Anyway. All hell is supposed to break lose today, every PC is fighting each other. Yet all I see is characters saying "I love you all and understand your point of view. I'll try not to hurt you too much. No hard feelings okay?"
The worst Ragnarok.

Pokemon White 2: Still only 6 badges. But a level 21 join avenue!!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 02:23:55 AM by Fenrir »