Register

Author Topic: Crazysauce Team Tournament: Week Final  (Read 680 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Crazysauce Team Tournament: Week Final
« on: February 12, 2012, 08:30:46 PM »
Saradin and Norn (Ogre Battle) have won their division.  And so, they get a truly diabolical challenge.

Meanwhilst, the upper division has many teams remaining, and so a cosmic threat awaits them.

Heavyweights

Asellus and White Rose (SaGa Frontier) vs Zophar (Lunar: Eternal Blue)
Stocke and Aht (Radiant Historia) vs Zophar (Lunar: Eternal Blue)
Jowy Atreides and Tengaar (Suikoden II) vs Zophar (Lunar: Eternal Blue)

Ryudo and Millenia (Grandia II) LOSS vs Zophar (Lunar: Eternal Blue)
Yosuke Hanamura and Teddie (Persona 4) LOSS vs Zophar (Lunar: Eternal Blue)
Lyon and Miakis (Suikoden V) LOSS vs Zophar (Lunar: Eternal Blue)
Vanille de Oerba and Claire 'Lightning' Farron (Final Fantasy XIII) LOSS vs Zophar (Lunar: Eternal Blue)

Prove Yourself: Final Test

Saradin and Norn (Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen) vs Teepo (Breath of Fire III)

Should Zophar fail to provide us a concrete victor (whether by sweeping or by multiple teams beating him), a bonus week of team vs team duels will be held.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Crazysauce Team Tournament: Week Final
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 08:34:55 PM »
Teepo wins. He OHKOs Saradin and that is that.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 09:08:02 PM »
Heavyweights

Zophar has OHKO damage off great speed, or super-laggy overkill, or status off great speed. There's a reason he's good!

Asellus and White Rose (SaGa Frontier) vs Zophar (Lunar: Eternal Blue): Status Ball on Asellus (WR can revive, but not remove status), then OHKO White Rose. She can delay that with GlassShield but Zophar is faster and uses magic so yeah no.
Stocke and Aht (Radiant Historia) vs Zophar (Lunar: Eternal Blue): OHKO Aht off better speed. Reviving her is a heal-lock, so... yeah.
Jowy Atreides and Tengaar (Suikoden II) vs Zophar (Lunar: Eternal Blue): OHKO Tengaar right away, then Status Ball Jowy.

Ryudo and Millenia (Grandia II) LOSS vs Zophar (Lunar: Eternal Blue): OHKO Millenia, lulz.
Lyon and Miakis (Suikoden V) LOSS vs Zophar (Lunar: Eternal Blue): The usual.
Vanille de Oerba and Claire 'Lightning' Farron (Final Fantasy XIII) LOSS vs Zophar (Lunar: Eternal Blue): Keep OHKOing off better speed. See Stocke/Aht.

I think there are teams that could handle him, but none of them made it.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 09:49:28 PM »
Asellus and White Rose (SaGa Frontier) vs Zophar (Lunar: Eternal Blue)
Stocke and Aht (Radiant Historia) vs Zophar (Lunar: Eternal Blue)

Seems straightforward.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 05:58:37 PM »
Zophar sweeps.

Teepo trashes the OB team.

Djinn: sadface.

On the other hand! Now that I get the tournament format, I can't wait until he holds another one so we can submit more suitable teams!

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 07:03:39 PM »
Supposing I did hold another one like this.

I'm not sure what the next tournament should be actually.  Definitely one that runs itself with less input from me, there were some rather lazy delays because I just wasn't happy with any match ideas I was having.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 01:11:11 AM »
Well, checked the stat topic, and Zophar does *not* have an above-average speed OHKO.  He's got 340 damage to a 370 HP average, or .919 PCHP.  Of course if you give him his hands...  well the two hands which aren't destroyed in the warm-up portion of the fight...  he has his OHKO anyway off their damage, but the hands damage is "faster than Ronfar."  So...  somewhere between 89% and 115% speed if speed is taken literally, except a bit worse than that since you have options for stat-boosting in-game that the DL average doesn't include. 

Zophar's status option - which denies him the big damage - says:
Status Ball- 80-90. Can Silence, Poison, Paralyze, and Confuse. Faster than Jean.

Anyway there are only two teams that have a chance in hell here:

Actually, spamming Canopy Defense here is pretty cool, since one of the best ways to beat Zophar in-game is White Dragon Protect abuse.  The only problem is that despite the Canopy Defense speed hype from Jo'ou, Status Ball is still faster than Jean, and might outrace it anyway.  If it does, any of those statuses other than Poison are trouble.  I suppose with sufficient Zophar HP disrespect you can hype Jowy as 2HKOing anyway, but then the second Status Ball heads for Jowy.  So no, Status Ball faster than Canopy Defense -> Zophar win.  If we grant Tengaar the speed break...  well, auto-win if you hold Zophar to just one part.  Unfortunately I don't, so the hands break Canopy Defense, then Zophar's main body overkills Jowy with the slow nuke.

Millenia has .955 PCHP.  As noted, Zophar's fast good damage does .919 PCHP.  However, Millenia's MEN is trash.  Uh...  how much does G2 MEN matter?  It's possible she might survive if endgame G2 defense statistics are meaningless enough, which is quite possible!  Anyway, Millenia needs to survive that.  If you hold Zophar to one part, sure, G2 victory if she does.  With his parts, Millenia also needs to outrace Zophar's hands' "faster than Ronfar" moves.  Millenia is ~94% avg. speed, which is on the low end of the potential range of "faster than Ronfar."  Still, if she gets a turn, I'm pretty sure SBE disables all the *parts* of a boss too, not just the main part, so collect victoly if it goes off.  Anyway this team is the closest to winning, so I will make this a respectful abstain.

Looking back at the original batch of Heavyweights, the only other team that maybe sort of has an interesting match is the eliminated Alexia / Clarissa.  If you force Zophar to pick his status target blind, then Alexia snipes it 50% of the time with her ST status-immunity initiative move, and occasionally the status is POIZN anyway.  If you also hold Zophar to one part, then Clarissa hopes to get a continuous stream of Rob Turns while Alexia like 4HKOs with Revolver Sweep.  Unfortunately Zophar just kills Clarissa on turn 1 instead, and Clarissa's HP is worse than Millenia's, so she doesn't really have an argument to maybe survive.

Zophar sweeps every team not discussed above.

---

Fun tourney, by the way.  I'm always a fan of team tournaments.  My only comment is that failure is funny and in general I'd prefer keeping everyone in, even if that meant cutting down the total number of teams.  The 'bad' team that nevertheless sneaks in one random victory is still pretty neat.