Author Topic: Beer  (Read 3188 times)

Idun

Beer
« on: February 14, 2012, 02:12:50 AM »
Double Bag, Sea Dog, Sam Adam's Cherry, Blue Moon and Guinness Draught. What do you drink, what should I be drinking? Les'keep'it in the lessthantendollar per 6-pack range.

(Muuuuuch better than anxiety pills).

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
Re: Beer
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 02:22:51 AM »
I drink Newcastle, Hofbrau Oktoberfest and Cinder Cone Red as seasonals, or Dead Guy. Widmer Hef is really popular around here but I'm not a Hef guy.

Oh, and St. Pauli Girl when it's hot out, which it currently is not.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 02:37:00 AM »
For the Rob answer: I drink Smithwick's, Leffe, Kona Longboard. In a limted selection setting, I'll usually go with Heineken or Blue Moon, which are acceptable. But honestly I like to mix it up and try all sorts of different stuff. Usually Thanksgiving is best for this since my cousin usually has the same philosophy and has about 4-5 different good kinds of beer on hand.

You kinda named a bunch of different kinds of beer. That's... an ale, a lager, a flavored beer, a blonde and a stout, IIRC? All of them taste different. Ales are usually on the bitter side and I tend not to like them, lagers are what amounts to "normal" beer. Flavored beers have wildly varying mileage depending on the quality of the beer and the flavoring. Blondes are lighter and more citrusy (Blue Moons are good, also try Leffe). Stouts are awesome: darker, heavier flavor and higher alcohol content. Guinness though has an ass aftertaste. Go with Smithwick's if you want to try dark beers.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 03:01:26 AM »
Smithwick's

This.  Also Sam Adams, Corona, River Horse (which I've never seen sold anywhere but my local grocery store, but damn is it good!), Magic Hat, and whatever seems like a good idea.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 03:06:58 AM »
Yuengling when I'm watching my budget. Floris Apple is *amazing* but a bit pricey and harder to find in normal stores here.

Blue Moon and Sam Adams are also good, yeah. I'm not too picky about beer, other than really not liking light beer.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 03:40:22 AM »
Drinking to calm your anxiety? Shit, Dunie, you sound like me.

If you like Blue Moon, and feel like treating yourself (it's expensive, not going to lie), I recommend Hoegaarden.  It's a great Belgian White and is awesome.

But under 10 bucks a six pack... Mm, if I recall correctly Fat Tire falls in that range.  All the New Beligum beers are pretty good. 

I also recommend just seeing what local breweries are in the area, because likely they're going to be a lot better than what you can find from elsewhere.  Also, filling up a growler at a local brewery ends up being a lot cheaper than buying six packs in the long run, or at least was in my town.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 05:50:32 AM »
Taking the year off from drinking, but I enjoy Hoegarden...or however you spell it.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 08:31:02 AM »
Don't drink, but finally someone reccomending something with class.  Belgian/German/Czech or why not drink something better than beer?
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 09:02:30 AM »
I've never had an alcoholic beverage in my life.  But if I did drink, I would choose this because of the name:

http://www.saintarnold.com/beers/lawnmower.html

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 09:05:34 AM »
Hoegaarden is my favourite too, but I'm partial to white beer.
... And it's pretty much the cheapest beer available around here.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 09:08:08 AM by Fenrir »

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 09:56:38 AM »
Don't drink often, but when I do I usually go with Alexander Keith's Indian Ale, Guiness, or Hobgoblin if I want a big ass bottle in one shot.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 10:24:30 AM »
Why not drink something better than beer?
...into the nightfall.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 02:32:33 PM »
Beer is tasty, you heathen. 
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 02:49:47 PM »
Well, what alcoholic beverage tastes better than beer?  Liquor? Most inexpensive liquors are punch for punch far more disgusting than inexpensive beers, and even then I've never been a big fan of scotch or high end tequila (and I like tequila when the time's right).  Wine? Yeah not my thing, but going back to one of Idun's criteria here you're going to find an at least drinkable inexpensive beer far easier than a drinkable inexpensive bottle of wine.  Believe me, I've had my 2 Buck Chuck and Sangria phase.  It isn't pretty.

Besides, there are plenty of genuinely good beers out there.  As I said earlier local micro/breweries tend to make awesome beverages (If any of Santa Fe, Chama River, or Marble Brewery were selling their beers nationally that would be a damn service to good beer), and if you go with New Belgium, Sam Adams, Widmer Bros., and fuck what was that other one that I bought all the time after getting a job with an actual paycheck? Shit I forgot.  Anyway, you can find drinkable to OK to actually good beer easily once you realize that lager is complete shit.  Sure, you can do mix drinks, but those are kinda dangerous if you completely cover up the alcohol, and if you don't completely cover it up I'd take a good Fat Tire or 1554 over a mixer any day.

God, this topic is making me all nostalgic.  Japan doesn't do good beer.  And liquor aside from whiskey (makes me puke), shochu (tastes awful), and sake (is expensive to drink in the quantities I do) is extremely hard to come by. What I would giv--

HOLY CRAP

SHIT, GUYS, WAIT

Correct me if I'm wrong but...haven't you like...not drank much beer?

Cause if so...
I don't care if you hate it for everything it is conceptually, you have no standing in whether a drink is good/bad until you drink that, you know it, and much as you can try to argue otherwise, you'll just make a bigger idiot of yourself for pretending to know the quality of a drink.

Hating a drink and disagreeing is one thing.  Hating a drink you never drank just because you say so is pretty much bottom tier of intelligence.

If you HAVE drank beer, then feel free to disregard this post, though my point stands for all other games.  I mean beer.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 02:52:01 PM by Makkotah »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 07:07:21 PM »
I don't always drink beer, but when I do, it's not Dos Equis.  Because even though they've got the best commercials ever, their beer tastes like crap.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 07:19:19 PM »
I don't always drink beer, but when I do, it's not Dos Equis.  Because even though they've got the best commercials ever, their beer tastes like crap.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 08:40:55 PM »
Quote from: Zenthor
stuff

Nice.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Idun

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 10:55:24 PM »
Wine is very expensive. For one, you go out and just a glass ranges from 6-8 bucks.

I get roughly a bottle every month (15ish), and it really helps me calm down at night. Could also be a placebo effect. Totes gunna try this Hoeegarden and Smithwick's. Sounds amazing.

Zenny, I'm not sure about the other breweries. I will have to check. I know the founding Sam Adam's brewery is about 15 minutes walking-ish down the road from my place. And they give tours. And the tours are free. ^-^ Also, Boston has this very supportive system for local stuff, so I may be able to find some of these things either at a coop or the liquor store right across the street.

And yeah, I'm having anxiety problems. ):

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 11:26:38 PM »
There are a bunch of good wines you can get for around 10 bucks a bottle.

I honestly prefer Leffe to Hoegarden, but honestly I suppose the taste is only different in the academic sense. Both are excellent Belgian blondes.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 12:11:59 AM »
I hate to be that guy, but Leffe is blonde beer (bad) while Hoegaarden is wheat/white beer (sweeter, smoother, awesome)
They're pretty different!

As a dude who only likes girly drinks (cocktails like Whisky-cola, Malibu-orange juice, and things involving grenadine) I really dislike non white beers. (Hoegaarden being the best of them)

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 12:44:41 AM »
I have terrible taste in beers, so I'm not gonna chime in there, I just want to :golfclap: at Zenny's response.

Though seriously, Zenny? You don't like Shochu? Not even warmed? That stuff is -smooth-, what is wrong with you? Next you'll be telling me you don't like Umeshuu!

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 12:56:09 AM »
Though seriously, Zenny? You don't like Shochu? Not even warmed? That stuff is -smooth-, what is wrong with you? Next you'll be telling me you don't like Umeshuu!

Shochu is awful and you should feel awful.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 01:14:28 AM »

Shochu is awful and you should feel awful.

Djinn is just sticking to his pattern of having awful taste.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, 01:55:49 AM »
I like Shochu mixed with something to cover up the taste.  Also I guess rice-based shochu is passable if your tastebuds were born with a learning disorder but the potato-based stuff is just godawful.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2012, 05:56:55 AM »
Bah. You people who have never had it in Japan don't have an opinion that counts.

Well-made Shochu is amazing! (Though I agree the rice-based stuff is far better than the potato brews.)