imageRegister

Author Topic: RPGDL 2012 Season 1, Week 1: Revenge of the Aielbot  (Read 3071 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
RPGDL 2012 Season 1, Week 1: Revenge of the Aielbot
« on: April 23, 2012, 03:25:37 AM »
All the Standards Rules apply.  Voting is Sunday to Sundayish.  You get to burning.

Godlike

Nate Nanjo (Persona) vs Ashera (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn)
Mewtwo (Pokémon Series) vs Retinite (Chrono Trigger)
Charlton Blunt (Wild ARMs XF) vs Lulu (Final Fantasy X)
Terra Branford (Final Fantasy VI) vs Layna (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters)

Heavy

Cristo (Dragon Quest IV) vs Galcian (Skies of Arcadia)
Jenova (Final Fantasy VII) vs Wakka (Final Fantasy X)
Geno (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Legretta (Tales of the Abyss)
Delita Hyral (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Nel Zelpher (Star Ocean: Till the End of Time)

Middle

Dekar (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Lilianne Valendorf (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy)
Ashton Anchors (Star Ocean: The Second Story) vs Poco (Arc the Lad II)
Eruca (Radiant Historia) vs Hope Estheim (Final Fantasy XIII)
Nina (Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter) vs Aigis (Persona 3)

Light

Aeris Gainsborough (Final Fantasy VII) vs Sazh Katzroy (Final Fantasy XIII)
Kahn (Breath of Fire IV) vs Edward (Final Fantasy IV)
Piccolo (Suikoden III) vs Nina (Suikoden II)
Labyrinthia Wordsworth (Wild ARMs XF) vs Mia Ausa (Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 07:28:25 AM by Cmdr_King »
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: RPGDL 2012 Season 1, Week 1: Revenge of the Aielbot
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 03:43:43 AM »
Godlike

Nate Nanjo (Persona) vs Ashera (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn)- Avoid a OHKO, outlast? Blah.  I'm open to arguments on this.
Charlton Blunt (Wild ARMs XF) vs Lulu (Final Fantasy X)- Donno.
Terra Branford (Final Fantasy VI) vs Layna (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters)- Think so.

Heavy

Cristo (Dragon Quest IV) vs Galcian (Skies of Arcadia)- Eternum.
Jenova (Final Fantasy VII) vs Wakka (Final Fantasy X)- Jenova sucks.
Geno (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Legretta (Tales of the Abyss)- Abstain
Delita Hyral (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Nel Zelpher (Star Ocean: Till the End of Time)- Kneejerk.

Middle

Ashton Anchors (Star Ocean: The Second Story) vs Poco (Arc the Lad II)- Poco has to avoid the OHKO and somehow outlast Ashton. I am reasonably sure Ashton can get drain resistance as well, making it a seriously uphill fight even if he doesn't get blitzed.

Light

Aeris Gainsborough (Final Fantasy VII) vs Sahz Katzroy (Final Fantasy XIII)- Sahz is a reasonably good light. Aeris is Aeris.
Labyrinthia Wordsworth (Wild ARMs XF) vs Mia Ausa (Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete)
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 03:45:58 AM »
This Season's Random View: Everything is a fighting game

Godlike

Nate Nanjo (Persona) vs Ashera (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) - Nate.  Definitely see him having better zoning.  Ashera is too damn slow to evade everything, and once Nate builds up his combo meter, a full on Guardian Hammer or Alfred, Hang Ten! will demolish her, even with her barrier.
Mewtwo (Pokémon Series) vs Retinite (Chrono Trigger) - Retinite.  Mewtwo is way, way too light, and will get knocked out with the first heavy attack Retinite uses.
Charlton Blunt (Wild ARMs XF) vs Lulu (Final Fantasy X) - Charlton.  Far faster.  He can more easily evade Lulu's slow spells.
Terra Branford (Final Fantasy VI) vs Layna (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) - Layna.  Very similar style, but Layna's special attack is nearly impossible to avoid, and she's far, far better at not getting staggered than Terra.

Heavy

Cristo (Dragon Quest IV) vs Galcian (Skies of Arcadia) - Galcian.  Again, far faster, and has zoning.  And...uh..projectiles.  He'll tie Cristo down too much.
Jenova (Final Fantasy VII) vs Wakka (Final Fantasy X) - Jenova.  While Wakka's faster with good zoning, Jenova's zoning and projectiles are much, much better.  Actually a fairly good fight.
Geno (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Legretta (Tales of the Abyss) - Legretta.  Fast enough to not get hit by Geno Whirl.  Geno's kind of dead without that.
Delita Hyral (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Nel Zelpher (Star Ocean: Till the End of Time) - Nel.  Ice Daggers for the win.  A thousand pokes of death!

Middle

Dekar (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Lilianne Valendorf (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) - Lilianne.  Just...yeah.  A bit better balanced overall.
Ashton Anchors (Star Ocean: The Second Story) vs Poco (Arc the Lad II) - Poco.  Ashton is too short range, and Tri-Ace's start up is awful.  Poco's got too much control over the fight.
Eruca (Radiant Historia) vs Hope Estheim (Final Fantasy XIII) - Hope.  All she has to do is get her power meter filled, and the summon special wins it.
Nina (Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter) vs Aigis (Persona 3) - Aigis.  I assume she's got a good player behind her.  If you're good with her skills, she just switches modes and dominates everything.   

Light

Aeris Gainsborough (Final Fantasy VII) vs Sahz Katzroy (Final Fantasy XIII) - Sahz.  Basic stuff I've said before.
Kahn (Breath of Fire IV) vs Edward (Final Fantasy IV) - Edward.  Hide is broken in this setting - he's damn near untargetable, and Kahn's attacks have too much wind-up.
Piccolo (Suikoden III) vs Nina (Suikoden II) - Piccolo.  Flying + range + green skin makes him far more resistant.
Labyrinthia Wordsworth (Wild ARMs XF) vs Mia Ausa (Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete) - Mia.  Just better overall power.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 04:26:49 AM »
Godlike

Mewtwo (Pokémon Series) vs Retinite (Chrono Trigger): Magic damage of a non-CT element.
Charlton Blunt (Wild ARMs XF) vs Lulu (Final Fantasy X): Doubles constantly. Probably 2HKOs if Lulu blocks silence (it's close, but by my numbers he makes it). Even if he doesn't he can avoid a OHKO and finish from there since silence-immune Lulu can't heal.

Heavy

Jenova (Final Fantasy VII) vs Wakka (Final Fantasy X): Jenova's only competent form gets owned by SOS nulls.
Geno (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Legretta (Tales of the Abyss): At best, Geno 3HKOs after Boost, so Legretta gets one wussy attack and two nasty combos. That should be enough to down Geno, I suspect.
Delita Hyral (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Nel Zelpher (Star Ocean: Till the End of Time): Delita misses a 2HKO here, which I think puts the match out of reach, since Nel is also faster.

Middle

Dekar (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Lilianne Valendorf (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy): Poor Lily.
Eruca (Radiant Historia) vs Hope Estheim (Final Fantasy XIII): Multiple hits gets around Divine Light, and Haste/Shell/Barfrost neuters her offence and leaves her open for Hope's stall game.

Light

Aeris Gainsborough (Final Fantasy VII) vs Sahz Katzroy (Final Fantasy XIII): EDIT: Whoops, no stalling. Still, I imagine he can punch past limits with Haste/Bravery well enough.
Kahn (Breath of Fire IV) vs Edward (Final Fantasy IV): ummmm yeah. Smash.
Piccolo (Suikoden III) vs Nina (Suikoden II): Both 2HKO, but Piccolo does it faster.
Labyrinthia Wordsworth (Wild ARMs XF) vs Mia Ausa (Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete): Ice Lance just manages the 4HKO, sparing Mia a horrible loss via Distortion. That said she needs the Dragon Cane to do this, which makes her slower than Labby (gj). She does half lightning, but her mdur is slightly below average, so all this does is turn a 2HKO into a 4HKO. Which Labby gets first. Har.

EDIT: Whoops, missed Ice Wall entirely. So Mia can in fact 4HKO with the Wind Cane, with that, so she breaks the distortion while being faster and laughs.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 03:10:54 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 04:27:15 AM »
fuck.dat to Retinite.  Blatant anti-vote, Retinite can go chill in Bluelike or something.
OHKO.

Heavy

Stop.  Osmose?
Delita Hyral (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Nel Zelpher (Star Ocean: Till the End of Time)
Seems to entirely hang on whether Delita 2HKOs or not.  Will kneejerk no but it's close.

Middle

This match happened before, and I voted for Eruca then, but have since changed my mind.  Hope's Ravager combo being multi-hits sticks Eruca's stally strategy out of business, and Shell / Haste -> immediately heal turns off the Eruca blitz.  Eruca still can win off switch hax, but she telegraphs when she does that, so despite the fact that Hope's magic like 4HKOs here if Eruca equips for MDef, that's enough since Barfrost / Haste / Eruca being a bit slower means a lot of free turns for Eruca to guarantee the kill.  The thing that turned it for me before was Shine hype, but on second thought screw that (or at best, it comes up 1/3 of the time), so nope.  Eruca gives up the first turn by de-equipping the Shadowrun dress too.

Anyway, if Eruca went Shadowrun and switched into H2, she now double-turns, but doesn't 2HKO with G-Frost against Barfrost, so no point to do that.  So she switched with H3.  If she doesn't go Charisma dress, then Hope has blitzes for sure against Eruca.)

H1: Barfrost / Haste
E1: Switch with H3
--  Hope Shell / Faith
H2: damage w/ bonus for switch
E2: switch with H4
-- Hope damage w/ bonus for switch
H3: Switched, Burst Light
E3: Burst Light
H4: Switched, Burst Light
(H5 if alive, happens before E4 thanks to haste): Damage, win if somehow alive.

Burst Light 3HKOs Hope through Shell.  Does Hope 2HKO with the switch +25% boost?  It's...  damn close.  Faith'd Hope Ravager does almost average damage; actual average damage would do 1x PCHP.  According to the stat topic, Eruca can twink to 0.98 PCHP magical durability.  So a survival check or the like.  That said, tiebreaking for Hope since meticulously picking specific equip setups is a little annoying in the DL.

Light

It's Sazh, CK.
Seems to hinge on whether Mia 2HKOs.  Or god forbid gets her third turn before Labby's 2nd, which is possible.  EDIT: See Jo'ou.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 01:48:58 AM by SnowFire »

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 08:42:01 AM »
Godlike

Nate Nanjo (Persona) vs Ashera (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) - Doesn't he have decent enough MT for this?
Mewtwo (Pokémon Series) vs Retinite (Chrono Trigger) - Sure.
Charlton Blunt (Wild ARMs XF) vs Lulu (Final Fantasy X) - Kneejerk was Lulu, but NEB's comments make me think he can avoid the OHKO?
Terra Branford (Final Fantasy VI) vs Layna (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) - This just makes me sad. Curse you Hatebot!

Heavy

Cristo (Dragon Quest IV) vs Galcian (Skies of Arcadia) - Not ID'd.
Geno (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Legretta (Tales of the Abyss) - Not ID'd~
Delita Hyral (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Nel Zelpher (Star Ocean: Till the End of Time) - I think. It's close.

Middle

Dekar (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Lilianne Valendorf (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) - Lilly doesn't pump out enough damage in time.
Ashton Anchors (Star Ocean: The Second Story) vs Poco (Arc the Lad II) - Ashton's prolly just OHKOing here, but even if not, Poco has to decide between MP-draining Ashton to nerf his offense, or actually doing some damage. Either way, the next turn spells the end for Poco.
Eruca (Radiant Historia) vs Hope Estheim (Final Fantasy XIII) - Oh geez. Abstain.
Nina (Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter) vs Aigis (Persona 3) - Pesky Thunder weakness.

Light

Aeris Gainsborough (Final Fantasy VII) vs Sazh Katzroy (Final Fantasy XIII) - Sazh is more of a Low Middle. Aeris dreams of being a Low Middle under the most generous of Materia-for-all-plot-stuffs interps (which I actually grant her to a slight degree, but I think Sazh still wins)
Kahn (Breath of Fire IV) vs Edward (Final Fantasy IV) - I'll bet Edward's TAY form could win! (disclaimer: May not actually win)
Piccolo (Suikoden III) vs Nina (Suikoden II) - We redid the whole roster and we -still- get a Suikoscrubs matchup. The power of large numbers strikes again!
Labyrinthia Wordsworth (Wild ARMs XF) vs Mia Ausa (Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete) - It's a sad day when you are outsped by Mia... >.>;;

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 09:00:58 AM »
Nate's MT might help him get through the auras, but Ashera's body still has the mind-boggling 50 Res and 40 HP per turn regen.  And he'll have to burn through some MP healing to get to that point... seems grim, but hey, not like I can vote on (the good version of) Nate.

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 09:19:05 AM »
Godlike

Charlton Blunt (Wild ARMs XF) vs Lulu (Final Fantasy X)- Not even close to being OHKOed to me
Terra Branford (Final Fantasy VI) vs Layna (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters)- Yeah, letting her block a status takes this.

Heavy

Geno (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Legretta (Tales of the Abyss)

Middle

Dekar (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Lilianne Valendorf (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy)- Misranking!
Ashton Anchors (Star Ocean: The Second Story) vs Poco (Arc the Lad II)- Sword Dance OHKOs taking recharge averages

Light

Labyrinthia Wordsworth (Wild ARMs XF) vs Mia Ausa (Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete)- Ugh not tonight.
...into the nightfall.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 09:19:45 AM »
Godlike

Nate Nanjo (Persona) vs Ashera (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) - Yeah no.  He has MT but he still stands the risk of missing an aura or two, he has to cope with Ashera forcing him to heal a lot, and Ashera herself can also trip up his attempts to damage her and LightAll's 10% ongoing damage is useless in the face of her regen.  I really doubt he has the SP needed to take this.
Mewtwo (Pokémon Series) vs Retinite (Chrono Trigger) - get out, Retinite

Heavy

Jenova (Final Fantasy VII) vs Wakka (Final Fantasy X) - eh sure

Middle

Ashton Anchors (Star Ocean: The Second Story) vs Poco (Arc the Lad II) - le ohko

Light

Kahn (Breath of Fire IV) vs Edward (Final Fantasy IV) - Straightforward.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 10:09:02 AM by Random Consonant »

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 05:51:06 PM »
Hunh, can vote on exactly one in each division.

Mewtwo (Pokémon Series) vs Retinite (Chrono Trigger) - Wait, did Retinite not take damage from the Water attacks? Either way, Mewtwo has some physicals and should be able to tank enough of Retinite's damage to get through.. maybe. It's close with that, but I think Psychic should hit.

Jenova (Final Fantasy VII) vs Wakka (Final Fantasy X) - Edit: Right, LIFE actually has some tricks. Water Ring always makes me forget that Jenova-LIFE does stuff. (Form-choice is what makes Jenova an interesting Heavy~~)

Nina (Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter) vs Aigis (Persona 3) - Electric and ID? Ouch.

Kahn (Breath of Fire IV) vs Edward (Final Fantasy IV) - Damn, and I was hoping fast status would actually get Edward pretty far!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 12:59:33 PM by Yoshiken »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 07:22:54 PM »
Kahn (Breath of Fire IV) vs Edward (Final Fantasy IV) - I'll bet Edward's TAY form could win! (disclaimer: May not actually win)

Pretty sure a Focus-Tiger fist combo will eventually OHKO Edward at the absolute worst.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 02:50:12 AM »
Godlike

Nate Nanjo (Persona) vs Ashera (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn): He uses LightAll once, then gets heal-locked? I don't think he 2HKOs through her regen with LightAll. 50 Res is really silly thanks to how cruddy your magic tomes are. *grumble*
Mewtwo (Pokémon Series) vs Retinite (Chrono Trigger): Don't you need water magic to beat him? Also, come on Snow, don't be like this just for your own amusement!
Charlton Blunt (Wild ARMs XF) vs Lulu (Final Fantasy X): Don't think Lulu OHKOs? I guess I could be wrong but probably not.
Terra Branford (Final Fantasy VI) vs Layna (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters): Layna is a PC I kind of have troubles taking seriously. I know she has uber stats but it's just hard to put that flat down in a game like SN where there are so many PCs in a squad which is effectively a 'unit'. Meh.

Heavy

Cristo (Dragon Quest IV) vs Galcian (Skies of Arcadia): RAR ID
Jenova (Final Fantasy VII) vs Wakka (Final Fantasy X): SOS Water saves him? She can't just chip around that effortlessly? And Birth should also take this? Eh. No idea how I lock her forms down.
Geno (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Legretta (Tales of the Abyss): Shot down.
Delita Hyral (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Nel Zelpher (Star Ocean: Till the End of Time): Freeze? Delita's temp with his equips scaled to that point of the game is pretty awesome but not versatile enough defensively for this.

Middle

Dekar (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Lilianne Valendorf (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy)
Ashton Anchors (Star Ocean: The Second Story) vs Poco (Arc the Lad II): Two smashes in a row.
Eruca (Radiant Historia) vs Hope Estheim (Final Fantasy XIII): Hope walls her just the right way.
Nina (Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter) vs Aigis (Persona 3): Jolt or ID, yeah.

Light

Aeris Gainsborough (Final Fantasy VII) vs Sazh Katzroy (Final Fantasy XIII):
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 03:03:52 AM by Pyro »

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 03:33:28 AM »
Godlike

Nate Nanjo (Persona) vs Ashera (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) - LightAll to get the barriers down, then use one of the many 8-hit focusing guns.
Mewtwo (Pokémon Series) vs Retinite (Chrono Trigger) - Yeah sure.

Heavy

Cristo (Dragon Quest IV) vs Galcian (Skies of Arcadia) - Wow, Cristo can't block ID? I wonder if there's anything in the DS Remake...?
Jenova (Final Fantasy VII) vs Wakka (Final Fantasy X) - Not seeing the Osmose respect today..

Middle

Eruca (Radiant Historia) vs Hope Estheim (Final Fantasy XIII) - Blargh to FF13 battle mechanics cheesing this, but I think even without multi-hit he still wins.

Light

Aeris Gainsborough (Final Fantasy VII) vs Sazh Katzroy (Final Fantasy XIII) - Ugh, go away Sazh.
Piccolo (Suikoden III) vs Nina (Suikoden II) - I wonder if there's any Thunder-damage reducing equipment in S2.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 07:04:44 PM by Nephrite »

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 06:46:08 AM »
Godlike

Nate Nanjo (Persona) vs Ashera (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn)- Hi Persona 2 Nate.

Heavy

Middle

Dekar (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals)
vs Lilianne Valendorf (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) - Miss Lily!

Light

Labyrinthia Wordsworth (Wild ARMs XF) vs Mia Ausa (Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete)- She's a very capable woman, you know.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 06:50:08 AM »
Jenova (Final Fantasy VII) vs Wakka (Final Fantasy X): SOS Water saves him? She can't just chip around that effortlessly? And Birth should also take this? Eh. No idea how I lock her forms down.

Birth is just so awful. Stop is 60% which may not even be turn 1 depending on interps and certainly can't be reapplied reliably forever. I guess she might win here anyway because Wakka damage, though it's still a difficult match for her... she's vulnerable to Blind and is pure physical outside Stop. (FFX blind causes the target to miss sleeping targets, so it should work here.) And her damage is a mighty 4HKO (less against Wakka pdur)... against the front row and no Sadness (I know some people consider back row to some degree, although I don't). A couple people seem to have confused Birth with a boss that isn't terrible!

Life... hm, yeah, chip then water SMAAASH might work, I had forgotten how evil Aqualung is and apparently that form, unlike Birth, is actually immune to the status effect which would destroy it.

(Of course I only vote on one form for any given boss, and Death is almost certainly the overall best as well as being the latest chronologically besides the obviously terrible, part of a longer chain Synthesis.)

Blargh  to FF13 battle mechanics cheesing this

This is just idle commentary since it's not attached to votes, but... I really don't think this can be called "cheese" at all since the multihit attacks which spoil Divine Light exist and are very common in RH! To say nothing of how often you face multiple enemies (even most boss fights). Frankly I think Divine Light is the cheesy move in the DL since I can't say I found it too useful in-game and it's pretty great in the DL, shutting down the majority of casts who don't have multihits.

EDIT: Also, since there seems to be some confusion about this:

Retinite does not immune or resist non-elemental magic in any way.

I don't see PKMN psychic falling under any CT elements, so I'd see it hitting Retinite just fine. You're free to disagree and say only truly non-elemental damage works so Psychic doesn't qualify, but in general, lots of other games have NE magic, so Retinite certainly isn't Bluelike. (Not to mention his Def isn't that impressive initially and his HP is kinda poor, so he's quite beatable with decent physicals too.)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 06:56:43 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 07:44:31 AM »
Godlike

Nate Nanjo (Persona) vs Ashera (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn)

Heavy

Middle

Light

Kahn (Breath of Fire IV) vs Edward (Final Fantasy IV) - Need to look at 4a form for this, as that's actually competent.

Too tired for comments, or thinking too hard about anthing that isn't clearcut.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 08:06:35 PM »
I thought Jenova BIRTH's Stop was more like 90%, rendering damage problems moot.  Hmm.  Makes the fight more interesting but even if we assume 60% Stop, that's still kinda rough for Wakka, since Stop can just be reapplied, right?

Remind me: Is there any non-elemental PC magic to actually test this with?  My recollection is that Shadow is the closest to non-elemental you get in CT, and Shadow doesn't work.  As far as bad defense anti-hype, non-Core parts of the Retinite take *5%* damage from physicals when water isn't in play.  No matter how trashy you see its Defense or HP, that is pretty epic.

As far as comparing elements between games goes, I'd definitely see Retinite as "null all but Water" similar to how I see "null all elements" equipment working fine against elements not in a home game.  YRMV.  The flavor is clearly "you must use Water against the desert-creating monster" anyway.  That said, if trying to cram non-CT equivalents into CT elements, I'd most likely see elements not in CT as ending up as CT Shadow, since it's "everything that doesn't fit."

(Of course, Retinite is screwed either way.  Either Psychic works and he loses, or it's nulled and Retinite gets a disqualified-from-Godlike antivote.  But I'm definitely on the Bluelike side of the Retinite interp by default.  Flavorwise, you could just run from Retinite if you don't have the tools, right?  I might be okay with a "Mewtwo runs away and finds a Water TM then re-engages" flavor vote anyway.)

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 09:23:51 PM »
He's immune to water too, actually.  It's just that using Water also lowers its defenses.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 09:59:35 PM »
Yeah, you're right, was confused by the description a little.  So just immune to magic damage period.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 10:08:23 PM »
then use one of the many 8-hit focusing guns.

Man the attack power on those better be pretty ballin' because multihit vs. high subtractive defense and notable evasion means he's probably struggling to break Ashera's regen with physicals.

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 10:16:13 PM »
I don't have the information in front of me, but they were quite good. Although as you state, subtractive vs. whatever damage formulas Persona 1 used might lead to a different outcome than the one I'm assuming.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 11:35:33 PM »
I thought Jenova BIRTH's Stop was more like 90%, rendering damage problems moot.  Hmm.  Makes the fight more interesting but even if we assume 60% Stop, that's still kinda rough for Wakka, since Stop can just be reapplied, right?

Remind me: Is there any non-elemental PC magic to actually test this with?  My recollection is that Shadow is the closest to non-elemental you get in CT, and Shadow doesn't work.  As far as bad defense anti-hype, non-Core parts of the Retinite take *5%* damage from physicals when water isn't in play.  No matter how trashy you see its Defense or HP, that is pretty epic.

Tail Spin is both magic and non-elemental and it hits through Retinite resistances fine.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 11:46:59 PM »
Godlike

Mewtwo (Pokémon Series) vs Retinite (Chrono Trigger) - This was an interesting match until NEB pointed out the Tail Spin thingy. Oh well. Also, Pyro, you wound me. I'd never nom Bluelikes! (>_> <_<)
Charlton Blunt (Wild ARMs XF) vs Lulu (Final Fantasy X) - Man, the minute Lulu even touches Charlton, he just maims her with draining.
Terra Branford (Final Fantasy VI) vs Layna (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) - Evade+physical durability have me kneejerking Terra gets a turn and statuses. That works, I guess.

Heavy

Jenova (Final Fantasy VII) vs Wakka (Final Fantasy X) - Man, I love Jenova BIRTH being trash in practice. Jenova LIFE wins this, but I just take Jenova DEATH due to thinking it's the overall best form and so it goes.
Geno (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Legretta (Tales of the Abyss) - I don't think Legretta has special mdef, and she's roughly 1.1x PC HP to me. I want to say Geno Boosted Geno can take a wussy attack and a nasty chain there, if barely, and he gets the 2HKO.
Delita Hyral (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Nel Zelpher (Star Ocean: Till the End of Time) - No 2HKO, no go.

Middle

Dekar (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Lilianne Valendorf (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) - Jesus fucking christ, Lily in Middle.
Ashton Anchors (Star Ocean: The Second Story) vs Poco (Arc the Lad II) - sure ohko hype

Light

Kahn (Breath of Fire IV) vs Edward (Final Fantasy IV) - Man, Kahn isn't far from OHKOing FFIVa Edward -at base- and his good status infliction option has like a 33% chance of giving something useful (Lamia Harp gets him hilariously outslugged. It's like Mint-level damage off the endgame damage scale).
Piccolo (Suikoden III) vs Nina (Suikoden II) - Anti-stalker police.
Labyrinthia Wordsworth (Wild ARMs XF) vs Mia Ausa (Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete) - PRE-EMPTIVE EDIT: WAIT Ice Wall is 190 damage off Dragon Cane Mia. Assuming 50 points of Wisdom net a 30~ boost to damage (that's the test gotten from Flameria, at least), that means Wind Cane Mia deals 160 damage - 23% to average - with it. Which means it deals over 25% damage to Labby. It's still a 4HKO, but that's just enough with the speed advantage, and Mia might well double Labby at some point anyway. This is just a funny fight anyway. EDIT: AND DRAGON CANE MIA 3HKOS LABBY WITH ICE WALL TO BOOT AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA GODDAMN
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 12:00:29 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 12:12:16 AM »

It can, I guess, but Jenova BIRTH MP -blows-. It can cast it like three-four times before running out at best, and Wakka can use the other turns he gets to, say, cast Drain to slow down Jenova BIRTH further, maybe. And I'm not sure a blinded Jenova gets to outlast Wakka before ramming into Attack Reels or just running out of MP.

EDIT: And now Osmose suddenly -possibly- becomes relevant. So much fail.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 12:30:32 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 01:47:45 AM »
Unless I'm totally off my rocker, Tail Spin didn't have the Star next to it for "Magic" = "can hurt Spekkio" etc. since Ayla didn't get magic period.  Psuedomagic perhaps if it runs off the magic stat, I suppose.

I'd still be inclined to be harsh even if non-elemental psuedo-magic breaks Retinite.  Pokemon already has something very close to non-elemental in Normal, and Normal is different enough than Psychic that I'd see Psychic as a "type" and thus nulled (similar to any other random weird not-in-CT element like SuikoV Sun or Xenosaga Beam).  Hilariously enough, that means Mewtwo might win anyway if given leeway to equip non-optimal moves, since according to Bulbapedia Swift is a Special-based Normal attack he learns naturally, so if he can break Retinite's regen, he might be able to take it if Recover spam holds out.  Pretty close though, at least when forcing Amnesia to be a strict SDef buffer.

Re Jenova: Hrmm.  According to the stat topic Stop is just a "High success" which squares with my recollection.  However, MP is a good point, that MP score is terrible.  If Wakka opens with Osmose, then it's Jenova beatdown time which he might be able to sort of survive with Drain.  Note that while there is backrow to undo Jenova damage hype, the stat topic also notes she can double / triple up her attacks, although I wouldn't let her do so consistently (I assume it's a % chance of happening).  In that case, the time Wakka saves from not having to use Drain's init penalty probably keep him afloat when Jenova has bad luck on the string.  Doesn't matter if she's immune to blind or not then.  (Stat topic doesn't say, it just says immune to poison.)  Anyway, vote changed.  (Don't respect the later Jenova forms very much, I hold leveled HP+ materia against them.)

"Interesting" analysis on Mia / Labby, will go with Jo'ou's comments and vote Mia as well.