Register

Author Topic: RPGDL 2012 Season 1, Week 5: Finals and DL Rankings  (Read 3104 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
RPGDL 2012 Season 1, Week 5: Finals and DL Rankings
« on: May 21, 2012, 05:05:23 AM »
Results!

Godlike

Ashera (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn)- iii vs Charlton Blunt (Wild ARMs XF)- iiii
Cid Raines (Final Fantasy XIII)- iiii vs Apocrypha (Radiant Historia)- iiiiii

Heavy

Galcian (Skies of Arcadia)- iii vs Legretta (Tales of the Abyss)- iiiiiii
Rune Walsh (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium)- iii vs Elincia (Fire Emblem Series)- iiiiiiii

Middle

Dekar (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals)- i vs Hope Estheim (Final Fantasy XIII)- iiiiiiiii
Syphide (Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria)- iiiiiii vs Sara (Breath if Fire)- ii

Light

Kahn (Breath of Fire IV)- iiiiiiii vs Mia Ausa (Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete)- iiiiii
Locke Cole (Final Fantasy VI)- iiiii vs Tricia (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters)- iiii

Big Important Message!

Welcome to the DL Rankings for Season 2012-1.  The format here is simple; of the listed games, please vote whether to Rank or Don't Rank each game.  If a game has more than 50% of voters in favor of its ranking, it will be included in the list of ranked games for the next season and its intermediate tournaments.

It is important to note that I mean 50% of all voters in the thread, not 50% of people who vote on rankings.  A vote of abstain in the rankings, or voting on the week without voting in the rankings, will still count towards the total number of voters.  In effect, anything but a vote for Ranking the game is a vote against Raking the game.

The numbers after the games are their current player total from the topic, standing at 13 total voters.  If there are votes in that topic during the week, I'll endeavor to update those numbers accordingly (and, if appropriate, drop games from the running), although any games not currently listed will have to wait until next season for their chance.

Lastly, don't be afraid to voice reasoning for your vote.  A game getting 40% voting support because people would like a slightly higher ranking threshold is a valid reason to keep games in the running in future ranking sessions, while a game with 50% support where the other 50% don't want to rank the game at all would probably not be back.

The Bubble: Rank or Don't Rank!

Breath of Death VII: The Beginning (7/13)
Brigandine (7/13)
Legend of Legaia (8/13)
Lufia and the Fortress of Doom (7/13)
Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy (7/13)
Mega Man X: Command Mission (7/13)
Persona (7/13)
Phantasy Star (8/13)
Soul Nomad & The World Eaters (7/13)
Suikoden Tierkreis (7/13)
Tales of Eternia (7/13)
Tales of Phantasia (7/13)
Tales of Vesperia (7/13)
Vandal-Hearts (8/13)
Xenosaga: Also Sprach Zarathustra (8/13)

Other Ranking Shenanigans!

We additionally have some games up for rankings who did not have data collected in the previous topic, as nommed last week.  As such, a vote of Played or Not Played should accompany each in addition to Rank or Don't Rank.  As with all ranked games, more than 50% of voters must have played the game in addition to more than 50% wanting the game ranked.

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier

Finals!

Godlike

Charlton Blunt (Wild ARMs XF) vs Apocrypha (Radiant Historia)

Heavy

Legretta (Tales of the Abyss) vs Elincia (Fire Emblem Series)

Middle

Hope Estheim (Final Fantasy XIII) vs Syphide (Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria)

Light

Kahn (Breath of Fire IV) vs Locke Cole (Final Fantasy VI)

Results Sunday.  Or so.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
Re: RPGDL 2012 Season 1, Week 5: Finals and DL Rankings
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 11:48:22 AM »
Kahn (Breath of Fire IV) vs Locke Cole (Final Fantasy VI) - Fairly sure Locke's speed doesn't win him this, too lazy to actually look it up.

As far as rankings go, the only one that I've even played there is Paper Mario: TTYD, and I didn't finish it because the game got really dull. From what I remember, I'd be against it, though.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 01:54:32 PM »
Kahn.

Breath of Death VII: The Beginning (7/13)- Abstain.
Brigandine (7/13)- Rank.
Legend of Legaia (8/13)- Abstain. Would much rather see LoL2 instead of 1. EDIT: Don't rank. Voting seems to tend towards ranking everything so eh, going to push no for the borderliners.
Lufia and the Fortress of Doom (7/13)- Rank. Always done weirdly well with the DL group.
Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy (7/13)-Don't rank.
Mega Man X: Command Mission (7/13)- Rank. Has a strong core of fans, which is enough to tip the scales for me.
Persona (7/13)- Keep Nate and Ellen ranked, fuck the rest.
Phantasy Star (8/13)- Rank. See Lufia 1.
Soul Nomad & The World Eaters (7/13)- Rank. Did well enough this season.
Suikoden Tierkreis (7/13)- Don't rank.
Tales of Eternia (7/13)- Don't rank. What an apathy inspiring cast.
Tales of Phantasia (7/13)- Don't rank.
Tales of Vesperia (7/13)- Rank.
Vandal-Hearts (8/13)- Don't rank.
Xenosaga: Also Sprach Zarathustra (8/13)- Don't rank.

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest- Played but don't usually vote due to poor memory, don't rank.
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door- Haven't played, don't rank.
Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier- Haven't played, don't rank.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 07:26:02 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 03:06:12 PM »
Getting this done first:

Breath of Death VII: The Beginning (7/13) - Abstain
Brigandine (7/13) - Rank
Legend of Legaia (8/13) - Rank
Lufia and the Fortress of Doom (7/13) - Rank
Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy (7/13) - Abstain
Mega Man X: Command Mission (7/13) - Rank
Persona (7/13) - Rank
Phantasy Star (8/13) - Abstain
Soul Nomad & The World Eaters (7/13) - Abstain
Suikoden Tierkreis (7/13) - Rank
Tales of Eternia (7/13) - Rank
Tales of Phantasia (7/13) - Rank
Tales of Vesperia (7/13) - Rank
Vandal-Hearts (8/13) - Rank
Xenosaga: Also Sprach Zarathustra (8/13) - Rank

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest - Played it, Rank. There's really no reason not to, Benjamin is a unique dueler and we can always bring out DARK KING HYPE
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - Not played it, Don't Rank
Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier - Played it, Rank. I like the cast and the bosses (KATZE) so I am biased.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 03:37:59 PM »
Kahn (Breath of Fire IV) vs Locke Cole (Final Fantasy VI) - I think.

Breath of Death VII: The Beginning (7/13) - Rank
Brigandine (7/13) - Rank
Legend of Legaia (8/13) - Rank
Lufia and the Fortress of Doom (7/13) - Rank
Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy (7/13) - Abstain
Mega Man X: Command Mission (7/13) - Abstain
Persona (7/13) - Abstain
Phantasy Star (8/13) - Abstain
Soul Nomad & The World Eaters (7/13) - Abstain
Suikoden Tierkreis (7/13) - Rank
Tales of Eternia (7/13) - Abstain
Tales of Phantasia (7/13) - Abstain
Tales of Vesperia (7/13) - Abstain
Vandal-Hearts (8/13) - Don't rank
Xenosaga: Also Sprach Zarathustra (8/13) - Abstain

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest - played, rank
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - played, don't rank
Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier - played, rank
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 07:03:55 PM by Random Consonant »

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 08:09:11 PM »
Breath of Death VII: The Beginning (7/13)- Abstain. Not enough knowledge
Brigandine (7/13)- Abstain.
Legend of Legaia (8/13)- Rank
Lufia and the Fortress of Doom (7/13)- Rank. Always done weirdly well with the DL group.
Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy (7/13)- Rank.
Mega Man X: Command Mission (7/13)- Rank.
Persona (7/13)- Rank
Phantasy Star (8/13)- Boot. Does this have fanbase or any remotely competent duellers?
Soul Nomad & The World Eaters (7/13)- Rank.
Suikoden Tierkreis (7/13)- Don't rank. I like the game, but very eh on it's hyper repetitive duelling cast.
Tales of Eternia (7/13)- Don't rank. I like this, but most of the characters are just mehish translation.
Tales of Phantasia (7/13)- Don't rank.
Tales of Vesperia (7/13)- Rank.
Vandal-Hearts (8/13)- Don't rank.
Xenosaga: Also Sprach Zarathustra (8/13)- Abstain

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest- Absolutely not. Don't rank.
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door- Absolutely not. Don't rank.
Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier- Absolutely not. Don't rank.
...into the nightfall.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 08:10:22 PM »
Breath of Death VII: The Beginning (7/13)- Rank
Brigandine (7/13)- Don't Rank.  Borderline with no real way to get a stronger player base.
Legend of Legaia (8/13)- Rank.  LoL continually surprises me with its number of players.
Lufia and the Fortress of Doom (7/13)- Don't Rank.  I sure as hell don't want to play this.
Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy (7/13)- Don't Rank.  I've been slacking, need to whip more people into it.
Mega Man X: Command Mission (7/13)- Don't Rank.  Not feeling upward growth.
Persona (7/13)- Don't Rank.  Prevailing winds and all.
Phantasy Star (8/13)- Don't Rank.  So bad.  This is just me being biased, I'll admit.
Soul Nomad & The World Eaters (7/13)- Don't rank.  I just dunno where to get more players.
Suikoden Tierkreis (7/13)- Don't Rank.  I'm astounded the game has this many players.  But I'd like to see more.
Tales of Eternia (7/13)- Don't Rank.  I'm open to discussion but people just don't seem to want the game around.
Tales of Phantasia (7/13)- Rank.  Flipside, ToP does have fans.  I'd like to see more players but... sure, toss 'em a bone.
Tales of Vesperia (7/13)- Rank.  As above.
Vandal-Hearts (8/13)- Don't Rank.  People seem reallly opposed to VH for whatever reason.  Hell if I'll argue.
Xenosaga: Also Sprach Zarathustra (8/13)- Rank.  If the numbers are there, I see no reason not to let Kevin get the shit kicked out of him in Middle or give Jin a decent form, which is about all there is in the game DL-wise.

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest- Not Played, Rank.  We'll see how this turns out, but I'm willing to give the game a shot.
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door- Played, Don't Rank.  A hard game to work with at the best of times, I'd pretty much want to see perfect playership before bothering.
Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier- Not Played, Rank.  I doubt there's enough players, but seeing as it's an SRW game that plays like VP with more interesting duellers, may as well keep it in the running for future reference.

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 08:15:27 PM »
Not really sure what to say on the Bubble games that wasn't already said in the playership topic - "didn't play, should rank" doesn't make make much sense to me.  I'd say that if the people who did play a game care, then keep it ranked, and if it's old and the players don't care, then don't rank.  Which probably translates to "bubble up semi-recent games like Mana Khemia 2, bubble down old games like Phantasy Star."

Everything is "abstain / didn't play" except Xenosaga III, which I played and is rankable enough I guess. 

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest - Played.  Would be okay with FW Benjamin since he's in your party the entire game and reasonably memorable for just plain doing everything, but if the choice is "CK ranking of everything" or nothing, then nothing, because screw Fire Scorpion / Kaeli / Doom King / etc. that is unmemorable.
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - Didn't play
Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier - Didn't play

Finals!

Godlike
The match where Charlton is the closest to winning for me this season, since Apocrypha is more about durability than smash, but hey that charge-up Aftermath move should easily do the trick here.  But looks like Charlton will probably win if people thought he could survive Morph Terra.

Heavy

Good match.  Do guns hit weakness on FE flyers?  Probably.  Flip side Legretta's MA probably doesn't count.  Anyway Legretta surely 2HKOs with shot->Prismatic Ballet, but Elincia's crazy offense and good range might mean she 2HKOs first.  I'm also not certain if Elincia doubles average for me.  If she does double it's probably enough, if she doesn't no.

Middle

Neither can ever kill the other, but Hope eventually Summons.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 01:25:04 AM by SnowFire »

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 08:27:58 PM »
Snowfire- basically I'm measuring caring.  If there are people who want the games ranked, they have a chance to speak up.  If games are met with apathy, they go back in waiting list until more players can be obtained, if they can be, at which point they can join the ranking list proper.

And while voting to rank a game you haven't played is more saying "sure, I can live with that", it's entirely possible to oppose ranking a game you have played, and is useful data for future rankings.

Basically CK!DL rankings are going to be a fluid process and measuring both players and how much players actively want a game ranked is important to me, so over time we can have more solid borders on what is and isn't ranked.

Also, "FW" is a completely meaningless phrase in CK!DL.  A game is or isn't ranked.  Characters within that game are either all ranked or all not ranked.  Though certainly I hope we don't see a WHOLE lot of "obscure random monster boss from (x)", it's not terrible in small doses (if it got to be enough of a problem, yes, we'd probably have to switch to a character ranking format.  But considering the sheer goddamned work involved, and the small voter base, I hope it doesn't come to that.)

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 08:35:13 PM »
Godlike

Heavy

Middle

Light

Breath of Death VII: The Beginning (7/13) - Played, rank.
Brigandine (7/13) - Not played, rank?
Legend of Legaia (8/13) - Played, rank.
Lufia and the Fortress of Doom (7/13) - Is this 1?  Played, rank I guess.  Would rather abstain but guess I CAN'T.
Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy (7/13) - Played, rank.
Mega Man X: Command Mission (7/13) - Played, rank.
Persona (7/13) - Played, rank.
Phantasy Star (8/13) - Played, rank I guess.  Would rather abstain but guess I CAN'T.
Soul Nomad & The World Eaters (7/13) - Played, don't rank.
Suikoden Tierkreis (7/13) - Played, rank.
Tales of Eternia (7/13) - Played, don't rank.
Tales of Phantasia (7/13) - Played, don't rank.
Tales of Vesperia (7/13) - Played, don't rank.
Vandal-Hearts (8/13) - Played, rank.
Xenosaga: Also Sprach Zarathustra (8/13) - Played, rank.

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest - Played, rank I guess.
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - Played, rank I guess.
Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier - Not played, rank I guess.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 10:02:33 PM »
Charlton Blunt (Wild ARMs XF) vs Apocrypha (Radiant Historia) - Apocrypha

Legretta (Tales of the Abyss) vs Elincia (Fire Emblem Series) - Legretta

Hope Estheim (Final Fantasy XIII) vs Syphide (Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria) - Sylphide

Kahn (Breath of Fire IV) vs Locke Cole (Final Fantasy VI) - Kahn

Rank everything listed.  Think the voting's still good enough.  Wish I wasn't leaving for a week to miss adding more!
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 04:17:19 PM »
Breath of Death VII: The Beginning (7/13) - Rank
Brigandine (7/13) - Rank
Legend of Legaia (8/13) - Rank, though I'm not as sure here. It's got enough players, but does anyone care outside of Noa/Songi?
Lufia and the Fortress of Doom (7/13) - Rank, it performs well and translates easily.
Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy (7/13) - Rank, haven't played. I like the duelers here and the MK1 cast is fun.
Mega Man X: Command Mission (7/13) - Abstain, haven't played.
Persona (7/13) - Abstain. A lot of apathy here despite being a fan.
Phantasy Star (8/13) - Rank, it's a small enough cast and has more voters than most of this list.
Soul Nomad & The World Eaters (7/13) - Rank! By far the game I want to see stay the most, and it's performed quite well in this past competition. If this was a weighted listing, it'd be my highest pick.
Suikoden Tierkreis (7/13) - Don't Rank. If this was normal DL, I'd say a small ranking here could be interesting, but in the all-or-nothing CKDL, this is a nightmare.
Tales of Eternia (7/13) - Don't Rank. I love Tales and I hate this game.
Tales of Phantasia (7/13) - Rank. There's like 6 characters in the whole game, it's not going to hurt anything and it keeps Djinn happy.
Tales of Vesperia (7/13) - Rank. Admittedly a more interesting cast than the rest of its series.
Vandal-Hearts (8/13) - Abstain. I played this game and I can't remember anything except there's a character named Grog Drinkwater.
Xenosaga: Also Sprach Zarathustra (8/13) - Rank...? I guess. I mean... Yay PC Allen?

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 11:29:56 PM »
The Ranking Death Row!

Breath of Death VII: The Beginning (7/13) - Abstain.
Brigandine (7/13) - sure why not rank
Legend of Legaia (8/13) - Don't rank. The cast is so unappealing.
Lufia and the Fortress of Doom (7/13) - sure why not
Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy (7/13) - Rank
Mega Man X: Command Mission (7/13) - RANK RANK RANK <3
Persona (7/13) - Don't rank. Fuck off, Persona 1.
Phantasy Star (8/13) - For the love of god, don't rank this.
Soul Nomad & The World Eaters (7/13) - eh sure why not
Suikoden Tierkreis (7/13) - Abstain
Tales of Eternia (7/13) - Don't rank. Most Tales games offer a desert in terms of ranking interest unless you're a fangirl even of the sucky games. Tales of Eternia manages to both suck and give us even drier duellers than usual running off an egregiously bad player pool.
Tales of Phantasia (7/13) - Don't rank. The caring's in the negatives.
Tales of Vesperia (7/13) - Abstain. The playership on this at least feels justifiable. Death to Repede, though.
Vandal-Hearts (8/13) - sure why not less boring than toe
Xenosaga: Also Sprach Zarathustra (8/13) - Don't rank. Just say no to Voyager hype.

We additionally have some games up for rankings who did not have data collected in the previous topic, as nommed last week.  As such, a vote of Played or Not Played should accompany each in addition to Rank or Don't Rank.  As with all ranked games, more than 50% of voters must have played the game in addition to more than 50% wanting the game ranked.

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest - Don't rank. Apathy and disinterest.
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - Don't rank. From PM1, I can't even -begin- to fathom how to interpret PM in the DL.
Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier - Don't rank. The playership is too low, really. And it has ye olde SRW issues to some degree to boot.

Finals!

Godlike

Charlton Blunt (Wild ARMs XF) vs Apocrypha (Radiant Historia) - Um I really have to wonder if I allow Energy Drain on bosses, because dang that'd be broken against Apocrypha.

Light

Kahn (Breath of Fire IV) vs Locke Cole (Final Fantasy VI) - luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuul locke pdur
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 12:52:10 AM »
Note to self: Snow has played FFMQ and Endless Frontier, has not played PM2.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 02:32:47 AM »
Considering I built the stat topic from scratch, I'm vaguely surprised you didn't know I played Endless Trainwreck. <_<
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 02:45:58 AM »
I do but also tend to forget things when tallying sins, so.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 03:03:16 AM »
Godlike

Charlton Blunt (Wild ARMs XF) vs Apocrypha (Radiant Historia): More of a boss slugger.

Heavy

Legretta (Tales of the Abyss) vs Elincia (Fire Emblem Series): Legretta has a lot going for her. Excellent PDef, damage that may hit weakness on Elincia, and good combos. But I think she's vulnerable to Peep/Stun, which means Elincia gets to put out a whole lot of damage. The Queen is silly.

Middle

Hope Estheim (Final Fantasy XIII) vs Syphide (Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria): Eidolon, sure.

Light

Kahn (Breath of Fire IV) vs Locke Cole (Final Fantasy VI): Locke Pdur and damage.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 05:12:50 AM »
Edited to a Legretta vote.  Reminded that a lot of Legretta's durability is in good defense, which is the perfect way to spoil multi-hit Elincia.

Also Equal XP Elincia is 34.6 Spd to a 30.16 halfshifted average.  Does bringing the laggards up to lvl. 10 knock the Spd average up enough so that Elincia doesn't double?  Not sure, a boost of about 1.5 is what I'd expect if I calculated it out.  Meh, it's close.  Anyway, close enough to definitely feel okay with tiebreaking against her.

CK: Yes, I know, so to be more clear that's an abstain (=Don't rank) on FF:MQ.  It's an issue in general with questionably rankable characters who might be cool to get in every once in awhile, but if it's a case where the cast in general is interesting I'm okay with saying "shoot people who nominate Repede", but when it's almost the entire cast I feel probably shouldn't be ranked, probably better to just leave it out.  (Same deal with FE:SD, I'd be cool with a Marth / Caeda / Jagen ranking, but noooo to letting Gharnef or Medeus or plotless recruits sneak in as well.)

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 05:51:48 AM »
Also Equal XP Elincia is 34.6 Spd to a 30.16 halfshifted average.  Does bringing the laggards up to lvl. 10 knock the Spd average up enough so that Elincia doesn't double?  Not sure, a boost of about 1.5 is what I'd expect if I calculated it out.  Meh, it's close.  Anyway, close enough to definitely feel okay with tiebreaking against her.

I though this interesting enough to calculate.  Taking the people below 20/20/10 (or Lv30, in the case of laguz) up to 20/20/10 raises the average by less than half a point.  Vika/Ena already have capped speed and a bit of Laura's growth there is wasted due to her almighty cap of 31.  The halfshifted average goes up to 30.62 (technically 30.6197) if you do this, which does prevent her from doubling if you go by +/-4 in the DL rather than +/-3.5.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 05:53:31 AM by Random Consonant »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 08:17:06 AM »
I go by 3.5, so nope, sounds like Elincia kills average speed very dead, normally.  (Still not changing the vote, since I pretty much think Legretta should be in Godlike too.)

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2012, 10:12:00 PM »

Defaulting to abstain unless I feel strongly for some reason. Otherwise the numbers speak for themselves; these are borderline cases

Breath of Death VII: The Beginning (7/13): Abstain
Brigandine (7/13): Abstain
Legend of Legaia (8/13): Abstain. Objectively 8/13 is good enough, but Legaia 1 fills me with such apathy. Same with all the other 8/13's below actually.
Lufia and the Fortress of Doom (7/13): Don't rank, because nobody should be encouraged to play Lufia 1 ever.
Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy (7/13): Abstain
Mega Man X: Command Mission (7/13): Rank. I think the duellers here are a lot of fun, and the game has detailed stat topic work.
Persona (7/13): Abstain though this one bugs me more than the rest and I am strongly tempted to DNR it
Phantasy Star (8/13): Abstain
Soul Nomad & The World Eaters (7/13): Abstain
Suikoden Tierkreis (7/13): Abstain
Tales of Eternia (7/13): Abstain
Tales of Phantasia (7/13): Abstain
Tales of Vesperia (7/13): Don't rank due to CK's status on "rank everything or nothing" and Repede being completely unacceptable to me.
Vandal-Hearts (8/13): Abstain
Xenosaga: Also Sprach Zarathustra (8/13): Abstain

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest: Haven't played, abstain
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door: Haven't played, do not rank
Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier: Played, abstain

Godlike

Charlton Blunt (Wild ARMs XF) vs Apocrypha (Radiant Historia): Kinda sad that he wins this since he's just so damn boring and unthreatening in-game, but so it goes, he has raw HP and good enough damage. Certainly it's a bad fight for Charlton since his draining isn't that amazing for healing (good for damage due to the vastly different scales of his own HP and XF PC HP), and this is a much harder fight for him than Lulu/Terra which was pretty much a "does Charlton have >1.1 PCHP y/n" check.

Heavy

Legretta (Tales of the Abyss) vs Elincia (Fire Emblem Series): Actually a good fight, cool. Still, Legretta doesn't like evade much in-game. And I probably use the unshifted average. I think most of Legretta's good damage (Holy Lance/Flames of whatever combo is the big one) was magic rather than guns anyway? Just feels like the average of interps goes against her, but it's a good fight.

Middle

Hope Estheim (Final Fantasy XIII) vs Syphide (Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria): Summon breaks the infinite stall if it indeed is one.

Light

Kahn (Breath of Fire IV) vs Locke Cole (Final Fantasy VI): Kahn can both store damage to get past Locke's limit game, and exposes Locke's bad durability. As long as you see him surviving two full-HP Valiant Knife attacks (which are barely half PCHP) he should win this without much difficulty.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 10:31:32 PM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2012, 02:01:12 AM »
Godlike
Bleh.

Heavy

Middle
Hope Estheim (Final Fantasy XIII) vs Sylphide (Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria)

Light

Do not rank Phantasy Star, Suikoden Tierkreis, or Xenosaga 3. Rank everything else.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2012, 03:12:46 AM »
Ooh, forgot about that.  Yeah, I'll have to have a list of characters that are barred due to being unrankably good somewhere.  Banning characters on a case-by-case basis because no one can beat them is alright, it's the idea of calling a game 'ranked' but only allowing certain characters from the game to be nommed that I'm against.  When you've got 15-20 voters, I'm not going to get upset if someone has to go stat topic, oh, Aerodactyl to vote on a match.

That said, I'm not sure interps are consistent enough on Repede to get him on such a list without going through a lot of seasons of him winning everything, so your objection is still quite valid.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2012, 03:36:56 AM »
Is Repede any different than Yuna, in practice? "I win if I get a turn" and not even as fast or whatnot as Yuna, right?

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2012, 03:54:48 AM »
I can't believe apocrypha is going to win a godlike field. wtf, that's so wrong...

For rankings, rank Mana Khemia 2 and Tales of Vesperia. No to the rest.

I single out MK2 and ToV as the best ideas because they are widely well received games with interesting duelers - the kind of duelers players will actually familiarize themselves with. With the rest of the games I forsee a bunch of half hearted kneejerk votes, be it because the game has weird translation issues (Soul Nomad, Brig), has boring blobs of stats as duelers (LoL, VH, ToE, ToP, ST), or is just plain old shit (BoD7, Lufia1, MMXCM, PS1, Pers1, XS3). Games in all 3 categories are going to have voters that can't be bothered to put effort into voting, and games in the last category aren't going to get any new players.