Author Topic: Best RPG ever style contest: Broken up into eras and LISTED, part 2.  (Read 5588 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Best RPG ever style contest: Broken up into eras and LISTED, part 2.
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2008, 05:06:25 AM »
NES/Handheld:

1. Pokemon RSE (Best of the series? Well, FRLG might beg to differ, but those are minor differences; its still Pokemon at its finest, which is no laughing matter.)
2. Final Fantasy 3 (Very well done game that aged a lot better than you'd expect.)
3. Fire Emblem 7 (Decently polished game and well done overall, for all that I'm not a massive fan of it.)
4. Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga (Pure Fluff game...that did the fluff thing very well, and had actual interesting puzzles!  Also, Fawful.)
5. Fire Emblem 8 (FE7-, for the most part.)
6. Pokemon RBY (Pokemon not at its finest!  This isn't necessarily a bad thing mind.)
7. Dragon Warrior 4 (One of the better Dragon Warriors, which says more about the rest of the series)
8. Final Fantasy 1 (Considering what it is? Its still decent.  Granted, that can only get it so far)
9. Lufia 3 (Bad Dungeons, cliched plot and characters, but the battles are generally fun and the character development (gameplay wise, I just lack a better description) was original and fun)
10. Golden Sun (Utterly generic RPG in like all regards.)
11. Final Fantasy Tactics: Advanced (wait, FFTA got THIS high?  This says more about the games below it.  Game at least had FFT's gameplay at its heart, even if it was after a chain saw was taken to it.)
12. Dragon Warrior 3 (Tough call between this and FFL2, but when it came down to it? DW3 doesn't punish you for choosing the wrong team on a permanent basis, AND the game is more beatable.)
13. Final Fantasy Legend 2 (Badly polished game, has a lot of the same issues DWs have, in addition to lacking documentation in game that needs it.)
14. Great Greed (One of the worst RPGs I've ever played.  Solo RPG that was purely Attack + Heal, humor was some of the worst I've seen, and one of the most boring experiences I've had from start to end.  This is a game whose hype will NEVER make sense to me; its absolutely horrid.  I seriously can't think of a single redeeming feature this game had, and unlike other titles I disagree with like Xenogears, I can't see it as simply being "it didn't appeal to me", since at best, it thrives off cheap, unfunny humor.)

PSX Era (2 of 2):

1. Valkyrie Profile (Unique RPG that was a lot of fun to play, despite being repetitive.  Its no surprise I replayed it several times and enjoyed it everytime I did.)
2. SaGa Frontier (despite its lack of polish, documentation, the game feeling like a Beta, and the existence of RIki's quest, its still a lot of fun with some neat characters and ideas.)
3. Final Fantasy 9  (If this was like 8 years ago when I first played this game, it'd be higher!  BUt still a game I liked a fair amount, and the only real bad thing about the game is the horrible load times (it still has some flaws, but I can generally overlook them))
4. Breath of Fire 3 (Solid RPG overall, though the Black Ship arc can still die.)
5. Legend of Mana (Good Sound Track, pretty, and a unique gameplay experience, combined with interesting story in the Jumi Arc.  Has its flaws, granted, but this works)
6. Suikoden 2 (ok, starting to notice a drop here.  Anyway, game was fun when I first played it...and just gets worse whenever I go back to it.  Says something that I started to replay it only 3 separate occasions and only once did I actually get through the entire game.)
7. Lunar:Silver Star Story Complete (Simple and fun game, but not really enough to get it higher, sadly.)
8. Grandia (yeah, really noticing a drop here.  Anyway, games not all that bad, but its certainly not that good either.)
9. Wild ARMs 1 (Game pretty much defines average for me on most fronts.)
10. Persona 2 (Game doesn't appeal to me at all.  Didn't find the cast as good as hyped, gameplay was dull and boring, dungeons were monotonous...I could go on.  Mind, at least the game is PLAYABLE.)
11. Tactics Ogre (some of the worst gameplay and polish ever...but the plot is damned good and the split path idea is neat as well, plus I'll give it brownie points for really being an SNES RPG, and it being creative for its time as a result)
12. Arc the Lad 2 (game was enjoyable...until your team reunited.  Then it dropped off so badly to a point where its unforgivably bad.  The final boss is also among one of the most retarded things I've ever seen.)
13. Hoshigami (Its Hoshi.  I don't think its as bad as some people say it is, but there's no denying the fact that the game is fucking awful.)

NOTE: I'd put Baldur's Gate 2 up here having played a bit of it, but my reasoning for not playing it is not something that exactly counts.  Game being unplayable for Hardware or whatever reasons is not something I'm going to hold against a game.

PS2 Era (2 of 2):

1. Fire Emblem 9 (there's a reason this game is one of my 10/10s)
2. Final Fantasy X (Very good on like all fronts.)
3. Star Ocean 3 (FFX, but not quite as good)
4. Breath of Fire 5 (Yeah, game's not as good as I use to think it was, but I still like it a lot)
5. Skies of Arcadia (Just found the game rather decent overall, in most ways, despite its simplicity)
6. Dragon Quest 8 (tough call between this and S5, but the better gameplay and polish (any other DQ game, I wouldn't even CONSIDER that option mind <_<), as well as bonus points for the excellent voice acting put this ahead)
7. Suikoden 5 (Games got some excellent plot and good character work, but...yeah, lacking on most other fronts, and second worst recruitment around.)
8. Final Fantasy 12 (I liked this game though its a pure taste thing, I'll grant.  Still came out of it pleasantly surprised)
9. Legaia: Duel Saga (Nice, simple, inoffensive game that's quick to playthrough.)
10. Shadow Hearts (Game hasn't aged that well, though doesn't really feel that bad at the same time)
11. Disgaea (Great characters...and little else.)
12. Final Fantasy X-2 (Battle system showed promise!  The plot, characters, existence of Rikku, among other factors did not.  Oh, right, it had a decent setting, forgot about that!)
13. Digital Devil Saga (Series) (The "series" thing saves this game cause as a series, DDS isn't really that bad, though DDS1 is still pretty damn meh, and DDS2's gameplay wasn't much better for all that it at least had decent plot and some actual character worth.  Yeah, not a fan of SMTs if that's not obvious but its enough to put it above...)
14. Xenosaga 3 (While I don't hate this game as much as others...oh screw it; see what I said about Hoshi?  A lot of it applies to XS3 as well!)
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2008, 09:51:10 AM »
NES/Handheld:

Fire Emblem 7
Fire Emblem 8
Pokemon RBY
Final Fantasy 1
Golden Sun
Pokemon RSE
Lufia 3

1 Pokemon RSE
2 Pokemon RBY
3 Lufia 3
4 Fire Emblem 8.
5 Fire Emblem 7. Better than 8...until I factor in length.
6 Golden Sun. Bland.
7 Final Fantasy 1. Bland.
8 Dragon Warrior 4. Well, NES game vs non-NES games don't generally end well.

PSX Era (2 of 2):

SaGa Frontier
Arc the Lad 2
Wild ARMs 1
Grandia

1 Valkyrie Profile- Love
2 Final Fantasy 9- Also Love
3 Suikoden 2- Generally solid
4 Persona 2- Has very strong good and bad points, but good won out more.
5 Grandia- Fun, but a bit of a slog.
6 Wild Arms 1
7 SaGa Frontier
8 Arc the Lad 2- Would be number 1 if I was going by dueller interest!
9 Breath of Fire 3- Very meh to this.
10 Lunar- A generally bland game to me.
11 Baldur's Gate 2- Interface of pain.

PS2 Era (2 of 2):
Breath of Fire 5
Digital Devil Saga (Series
Suikoden 5
Tales of the Abyss

1 Star Ocean 3
2 Shadow Hearts- Love the style, the general plot resonance and Yuri.
3 Skies of Arcadia- Exploration of win.
4 Final Fantasy X- Solid overall
5 Breath of Fire 5- Immersive!
6 Digital Devil Saga- Immersive! I'm mainly going by game 2 here, since it's what finishes it off.
7 Suikoden 5- Awesome beginning, but it slows
8 Tales of the Abyss- The length of modern Tales games is horrid.
9 Legaia: Duel Saga- Average to Slightly Above Average
10 Final Fantasy X-2- Liked the Battles
11 Xenosaga 3- Lots of fail, but unlike the ones below, at least had one really tangible interesting part (And didn't have Disgaea battle system)
12 Dragon Quest 8- Slog with repetitive plot.
13 Disgaea- Didn't really like any of it at all, minus Etna.
14 Final Fantasy 12- For fail.
...into the nightfall.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2008, 12:56:56 AM »
PSX -

1. Wild Arms 1
2 - Final Fantasy 9
3 - Grandia

PS2 -

1 - S03
2 - Suikoden 5
3 -  Final Fantasy X
4 - Shadow Hearts
5 - Final Fantasy XII
6 - Final Fantasy X-2
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

alanna82

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2008, 07:08:15 PM »
wow, I totally disagree with the ratings up there >_> Earthbound is NOT failure >_>

here are mine for this section at least.

NES/Handheld:

1. Fire Emblem 7
2. Pokemon Ruby/Saphire/Emerald
3. Dragon Warrior 3 (LOVE the GBA remake)
4. Final Fantasy 3 (love the remake)
5. Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow
6. Fire Emblem 8
7. Dragon Warrior 4
8. FFTA
9. FF1
10. Golden Sun
11. Lufia 3
12. FFLegend 2

PSX Era (2 of 2):

1. FF9
2. Suikoden 2
3. Saga Frontier
4. Valkyrie Profile
5. Grandia
6. Arc the lad 2
7. breath of fire 3
8. Legend of Mana
9. Wild Arms 1
10. Lunar
11. Persona 2
12. Hoshigami (only played DS version, but its pretty much the same)

PS2 Era (2 of 2):

1. Star Ocean 3
2. Suikoden 5
3. Final Fantasy 12
4. Fire Emblem 9
5. Dragon Quest 8
6. Disgaea
7. FFX-2
8. FFX (yes, I like X-2 better)
9. Tales of the Abyss (awful game)

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2008, 05:17:59 PM »
Going to try and update this tomorrow.

EDIT: Make that sometime this week. Forgot about my bio test.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 09:36:22 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2008, 01:44:43 AM »
NES/Handheld:
1. Final Fantasy 3
2. Dragon Warrior 4
3. Pokemon RSE
4. Final Fantasy 1
5.Pokemon RBY
6. Fire Emblem 8
7. Fire Emblem 7
8. Golden Sun
9. Final Fantasy Tactics: Advanced
10. Super Robot Taisen: Orginial Generation 1
11. Tactics Ogre: Knights of Lodis

PSX Era (2 of 2):
1. SaGa Frontier
2 .Persona 2
3. Breath of Fire 3
4. Baldur's Gate 2
5. Suikoden 2
6. Valkyrie Profile
7. Grandia
8. Wild ARMs 1
9. Tactics Ogre
10. Lunar:Silver Star Story Complete
11. Final Fantasy 9
12. Arc the Lad 2

PS2 Era (2 of 2):
1. Tales of the Abyss
2. Suikoden 5
3. Dragon Quest 8
4. Disgaea
5. Shadow Hearts
6. Digital Devil Saga (Series)
7. Skies of Arcadia
8. Star Ocean 3
9. Breath of Fire 5
10. Final Fantasy X
11. Final Fantasy X-2
12. Fire Emblem 9
13. Legaia: Duel Saga
14. Xenosaga 3
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2008, 01:49:36 AM »
NES/Handheld:

1 Fire Emblem 8 - Overall I like FE series and FE8 has less tutorial and more interesting royals than
2 Fire Emblem 7 - Fun, but tutorial was boring. Harder than FE8, but less polished. Has Lyn though, so it gets this high.
3 Golden Sun - Very polished brand of generic. Psychic powers and Ivan were pretty decent.
4 Pokemon RBY - Very original style of RPG, there's nothing quite like it, except all its clones and sequels.
5 Final Fantasy 3 - Cool job system, though it always kind of bored me.
6 Final Fantasy 1 - The first! Good memories, but each remake and replay feels like it has lost something.
DROP!!!!!
700 Final Fantasy Tactics: Advanced - TRASH, I wish I hadn't played it. I want my time back that I spent playing it. Although, I like the name Twem.

PSX Era (2 of 2):

1 Valkyrie Profile - Just all around entertaining, wonderful setting, interesting style of storytelling. And Arngrim would have been a great main.
2 Grandia - Charming story/setting/characters, loved the battle system and customization. Great use of temps.
3 Final Fantasy 9 - Again, a charming RPG which did well against the swarm of dark and depressing (attempted) mindfuck RPGs of the time. Not quite sure why everyone hates Zidane and Garnet, they were both more entertaining that FF7/8's leads
4 Arc the Lad 2 - Kind of a steampunk setting, and works well with AtL1 and the Monster Arena. A fun game to play around with the systems, and the characters' skillsets were unique and fun to play with. Story was passable, dialogue was decent, missions were fun, easy sidequests.
5 Suikoden 2 - Loved the story, but never grew attached to any of the characters, and didn't like recruitment in this one. High on my list, but it's not a game I ever wanted to replay
6 Lunar: SSSC - Another one I loved (for the humor/dialogue), but wouldn't replay. Gameplay was bland, but passable. Fun temps.
7 Wild ARMS - Characters were fun, tools were fun, gameplay was still slow and repetitive. Not a bad start for the WA series, but it's not my favorite.
8 Breath of Fire 3 - Generic, bland, but likable enough characters.
9 Tactics Ogre - Never grabbed my attention, but an improvement over OB.
HUGE DROP!
10 Hoshigami - This is the joke contender?

PS2 Era (2 of 2):

1 Tales of the Abyss - Pretty much my favorite game, but then, who didn't expect this?
2 Disgaea - Has some of the best dialogue to ever grace a PS2
3 Fire Emblem 9 - One of the only RPGs that I like for its challenge. Also, best of the FE series to that point.
4 Skies of Arcadia - One of the RPGs that got me back into the RPG scene after a long drought, it did a lot of things right and had a generally wonderful setting.
5 Final Fantasy X - The characters work well together, though a lot of them tend to annoy separately. I love the dialogue in this game. The gameplay and character building were great fun.
6 Suikoden 5 - Great story, characters were generally good. Recruitment was a little annoying, though generally well done. A Memorable game.
7 Star Ocean 3 - Can't believe this is 7! I love all of the games so far.
8 Phantom Brave - N1 does serious pretty well too.
9 Shadow Hearts - Great setting, good characters, Judgment ring was a neat idea, though unwieldy in practice at times. Character customization was done excellently. I want more games to do it this way.
10 Dragon Quest 8 - Very polished story/setting/characters-wise. Battle system was good, though slow. Char customization was nicely used.
11 Breath of Fire 5 - bit too repetitive, but unique and interesting.
DROP
12 Final Fantasy 12 - Just... not very fun. It was unfocused, and the only character I liked was Balthier.
HUGE DROP
13 Final Fantasy X-2 - The gameplay was tolerable, but there's so much wrong with this game.
REALLY HUGE DROP
14 Xenosaga 3 - Can I rate it lower than 14? I got to the scene of fail... *cries* I want my soul back.

-Djinn

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2008, 08:53:28 AM »
NES/Handheld:

1 - Fire Emblem 7 - Best FE
2 - Super Robot Taisen: Orginial Generation 1 - English SRW is awesome. But not as replayable as FE7 because you trash everything and it gets boring. Better dual-path mode though.
3 - Pokemon RBY - Pretty good from memory
4 - Pokemon RSE - I don't believe I thought as much of Sapphire as I did of Red. Was getting too complicated.
5 - Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga - Has humour value. But synchronising characters is completely opposite my strengths.
6 - Golden Sun. Pretty. I think I'm like the only person anywhere who didn't turn the 'voice' sounds off.
8 - Final Fantasy 1 - (DoS. If that's not allowed, then strike this entry). Fine enough. Nothing special.
7 - Final Fantasy Legend 2 - It's... okay I suppose. Some wierdness. Better than FFL1!
-Drop-
9 - Fire Emblem 8 - Lame FE
10 - Final Fantasy Tactics: Advanced - It's not BAD, it's just lame. Also too many people that antihype laws for stupid reasons when there are perfectly good ones.

PSX Era (2 of 2):

Unless the rules have changed, I'm not allowed to vote here due to lack of sufficient games; but, people have voted on less. Mightaswell do it anyway since it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to nix them if necessary.

1 - Valkyrie Profile. Different and awesome and I really really need to get around to replaying on a non-easy difficulty sometime.
2 - Breath of Fire 3. Breath of Fire is awesome unless it's 2.
3 - Final Fantasy 9. Pretty. Also pretty good.
4 - Suikoden 2. Not as good as S1.
5 - Wild ARMs 1. I find myself struggling to really care about it. Not bad, just mehish.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2008, 03:10:49 AM »
NES/Handheld:

1. Fire Emblem 7
2. Golden Sun
3. Final Fantasy Tactics: Advanced
4. Tactics Ogre: Knights of Lodis

I...wow. In RPG rankings, I don't have any of these above a 6.  It pains me to rank them like this without loads of games to put in front of the lot of them.  FE7 wins, because at least you can hit things in it.

PSX Era (2 of 2):

1. Suikoden 2
2. Final Fantasy 9
3. Persona 2
4. Valkyrie Profile
5. Wild ARMs 1
6. SaGa Frontier
7. Breath of Fire 3
8. Lunar:Silver Star Story Complete
9. Legend of Mana
10. Baldur's Gate 2

Pretty nice group, really, with the exception of BG2

PS2 Era (2 of 2):

1. Final Fantasy X
2. Breath of Fire 5
3. Digital Devil Saga (Series)
4. Disgaea
5. Star Ocean 3
6. Final Fantasy 12
7. Dragon Quest 8
8. Shadow Hearts
9. Tales of the Abyss
10. Final Fantasy X-2
11. Suikoden 5
12. Phantom Brave

Solid, solid group, up through #9 or so.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!