imageRegister

Author Topic: Plot POWAH: The Nomening  (Read 2030 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Plot POWAH: The Nomening
« on: November 04, 2012, 08:48:58 PM »
Alrighty.  So the idea here is straightforward, a series of matches in which we use not the numbers but the words of games to determine the winners.  Since I'm a creature of habit, we'll use the usual format for the tourney.  The divisions are more or less the same as ever, but to help keep things straightforward we'll tweak the divisions to be clearer on who is what.  I think at least.

Anyway, everyone please submit up to four noms per division.  If I get more than I need, we'll sort things out based on draw and interest.  So feel free to nom things that have already been suggested.  The divisions are Divine Beings, Superhumans, Warriors, and Civilians.

So get nommin' and we'll try to get some voting going on next week.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
Re: Plot POWAH: The Nomening
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 01:22:09 AM »
Divine Beings
Nyx (P3), The Bhaalspawn (BGs), Laharl (Dis), Nyarlathotep (P2)

Superhumans
Vayne Aurelius (MK1), Yuri Hyuga (SHs), Kefka Pallazo (FF6)

Warriors
Raquel Applegate (WA4), Luca Blight (S2)

Civilians
Dojima Ryotaro (P4), Thomas (S3)

I'll think of the remainders in a bit..

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 01:57:53 AM »
Are we limited to just RPG characters here CK?

Divine Beings
Odin (VPs) - Snow fanservice
Alvis (XB)
Dialga (Pkmn) - Pokeymanz. Meeple fanservice

Superhumans
Gawn Brawdia (WA4) - Obvious Super fanservice
Zack Fair (FF7/FF7 CC)
Katrina Elesius (WA XF)

Warriors
Georg Prime (Suikos)
Denam Pavel (TO)
Magdalen Harts (WA ACF)

Civilians
Yosuke Hanamura (P4)
Arnaud G. Vasquez (WA4)
Ryogo Kusama (FM3) - Negative plot power
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 02:01:31 AM »
Just to give you some help on scrounging up noms, since I like tournaments happening but find discussing plot power about as fun as licking paint off a wall. I like reading the discussion! Just thinking on terms that don't involve math is kinda unsexy to me.

Divine Beings
Lady (SH3), Fou-Lu (BoF4), Cthulhu (CSTW), Freya (VPs), Mel (Suikoden 3)

Superhumans
Emeralda Kasim (XG), Zerase (S5), Asellus (SaGa), Terra Branford (FF6), Lilianne Valendorf (MK2)

Warriors
Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia 2), Cecilia Lynn Adlehyde (WA1), Cliff Fittir (SO3), Meliadoul Tingel (FFT), Aggron (Pokémon)

Civillians
Tengaar (Suikos), Anastasia Romanov (SH2), RODY (Suikoden 3), Yoshi (SMRPG), Qlon (S1)

Please ignore the striked entries, if that wasn't sufficiently obvious. >_> If you want to slap them all into civillians if you're hurting for noms, though...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 05:04:20 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 02:13:48 AM »
Divine Beings

Virgil (Saga), Blue (Saga)

Superhumans

T260G (Maybe?), Tir (Not sure if he should go up or not), Timelord

Warriors

Augst

« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 03:37:21 AM by Nephrite »

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 02:15:37 AM »
Are we limited to just RPG characters here CK?

Unless I have serious trouble getting a bracket, yeah, just to make the whole weeding out of bad draw easier for me.

That said, feel free to nom whatever from games, not just things with numbers.

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 12:11:57 AM »
Divine Beings:
Gig (Soul Nomad), Seraphim Flonne (Dis4), Althena (Lunars), Arceus (Pkmn)

God is snarky, God is ditzy, God likes to sing, God lives in a little boy's pocket.

Superhumans:
Stocke (RH), Marona (Phantom Brave), Angela (SD3), Magus (CT)

Time Travel! Summoner! Pointy-Eared Wizard! Timetravelling Summoning Pointy-Eared Wizard!

Warriors:
Thursday (Disgaea), Anise Tatlin (TotA), Vitali (Soul Nomad), Edge (FF4)

Defender of EARTH! Defender of the Fon Master! Ninja Healer! Ninja Prince!

Civilians:
Edward (FF4), Nanako (P4), Chrono's Mom (CT),  Jogurt (ShF)

Gets Feverish and Sings! Knows the Junes Jingle by heart! Takes care of twenty cats and red-haired Goku! ...at least he has a battle form?!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 12:22:12 AM by DjinnAndTonic »

MalcolmMasher

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 12:48:10 AM »
Divine Beings
Althena (Lunars), Arceus (PKMN), Altima (FFT), Arek the Absolute (Lufias)

Superhumans
Sage Ghido (FFV), Red (SaGa Frontier), Gawn (Wild Arms 4), Naesala (FEs)

Warriors
Cyrus (CT), Bowser (SMRPG), Karel (FEs), Beatrix (FF9)

Civilians
Captain Bartholomew (WA1/ACF), Edward (FF4), Chiepoo (Suiko IV), Headmaster Cid (FF8)

I could see Bowser in Superhumans, what with him being a dragon and all, but he gets trounced regularly by a plumber. Tough call.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 05:14:05 AM »
I was about to make the same nom, Malcom, and certainly approve.  There's also GIGA BOWSER hype but since he apparently can't use it on demand according to WGAYP, it only temporarily evens the odds against Chu-Chu before his incompetence strikes.  Also Bowser winning is hilarious, so agree he should be in Warriors.  That said...  does Arek the Absolute actually get any plot in other Lufias?  In Lufia 2, we know basically nothing about him...

Re Jo'ou, Fei on the other hand can go straight to Divine Beings since he's got a magical mech literally hyped for god-slaying and Xenogears is legit for hype in a plot power tourney.  He easily defeats several of the Divine Beings hyped already, and is potentially even better depending on how much vague chosen one destiny BS you're willing to hype.  (On that note, Andy's SH Yuri nom is also arguably qualified for Divine Beings, since he's another Godslayer, fused with Amon which presumably makes him of comparable power to Nicolai / Rasputin both of whom I'd kneejerk to Divine Beings, but that one is definitely more debatable.  I'd certainly consider Nicolai / Rasputin / Yuri / Albert Simon of comparable power, and quite possibly better than Lady in a plot power tourney, and Jo'ou nommed Lady for Godlike, but definitely an edge case.)

Also in my noms already, but definitely would assume that Kefka qualifies for Divine Beings, absorbed the power of the Statues, Light of Judgement, requires 12 super-powered people to take down, etc.  (WoB Kefka for Superhuman, sure.)

Lavos (CT)
Ultimecia (FF8)
Xorn (G3)
Kefka (FF6)

Dycedarg / Adramelk (FFT)
Chu-chu (XG)
Squall (FF8)
Snow (FF13)

Malak (FFT)
Oboro (S5)
Catiua Pavel (TO)
Bowser (Elf's Inside Story as told by WGAYP)

Teta (FFT)
A Rabite (Mana series)
Maester Mika (FFX)
Ameena (SO3)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 01:40:20 PM »
I replaced Fei with Emeralda, for whatever's worth. Thing with this division matter is that I interpreted the whole thing very literally (so, people I'd slap into a typical plot Heavy, like MK2 Flay and WA1 Cecilia, went into Warriors instead). Iunno.

EDIT: Also, I think in gameplay terms -way- too much. You went about how Rasputin and Nicholai have a case to be higher in power than Lady and my first kneejerk was "man Estella hands those two losers their asses on a salad bowl, are you serious?". But this is why I generally don't provide input on the actual plot power tournament matches.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 06:57:49 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 03:07:52 PM »
Snowfire: Yeah, I actually hemmed and hawed a bit over the question of Yuri for Superhumans or Yuri for divine beings. My final decision was based generally on the idea that, plotwise, though credited with godslaying, the general power of Yuri's enemies seemed a little on the lower end power wise.

I suppose the fuzziness generally comes in that Divine Beings, plot wise, have a pretty wide power streak. You get a solid range of "destroy the world with a little effort" to "lovecraftian horrors that would accidentally annihilate large chunks of the universe without even noticing."

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 04:48:50 PM »
For what it's worth, I'd put Lady above the arch devils on the power scale.  While Rasputin does more during the story in terms of flagrantly using his power, Lady is essentially the embodiment of evil in SH terms.  Astaroth or Rasputin are a threat because they're immortal and can grind the world to dust.  Lady is more of an earth shattering kaboom kinda threat.

Admittedly of course that does assume she gets together with that whole heart of malice or whatever.

Yuri or Fei are interesting cases.  Fei's basically a regular human in terms of endurance but he's explicitly defined as being able to channel infinite energy.  So he could destroy basically anything, but only given the chance.  For Yuri, the Seraphic Radiance is essentially the soul of the planet, and a greater force than any other god we see in SH, but it's debatable whether he canonically can tap into it.  And of course it's nominally possible to keep him from fusing anyway.

Another way of saying "I noticed those noms but though 'eh I can see it, let's see what happens'".

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 05:03:22 PM »
I noticed you endorse Mel as a divine being as well.

MalcolmMasher

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 05:15:07 PM »
That said...  does Arek the Absolute actually get any plot in other Lufias?  In Lufia 2, we know basically nothing about him...

When you beat Lufia 3's Ancient Cave superboss, she's all like, "Wow, y'all are super strong. Maybe you even stand a chance against Arek." Except I think she says Alekdias, because Lufia 3's translation is not so good. I'd judge the Sinistrals to be low Divine, and Arek ought to be at least at their power level, but I freely admit that there's not enough information to get a good idea of what he can do or, for that matter, what his deal is.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 05:25:16 PM »
I noticed you endorse Mel as a divine being as well.

Well duh.  Branky is obviously a True Rune governing snark and pain.  There's no greater power than snark.

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 02:37:37 AM »
Divine Beings
Zeromus (FF4)
Meta God (SH1)
Ashunera (FE10)
Igor (Persona series)

Superhumans
Lezard Valeth (VPs)
Dhoulmagus (DQ8)
Altima (FFT)
Aya Brea (PE)

Warriors
Cidolfas Orlandu (FFT)
Joachim (SH2)
Nephenee (FEs)
Aelia (VP1)

Civilians
Big Joe (XG)
Morrie (DQ8)
Pokey (EB)
Niccolo (LoM)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 07:54:21 AM by Lance »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 02:36:25 PM »
Divine beings:

Izanami (Pers4)
Lamington (Disgaea)
Rozalin (Disgaea 2)
Ryu (BoF5)

Superhumans:

Aya Brea (PE)
Belial (WA4)
Charlton Blunt (XF)
Elwen (RS)

Warriors:

Fujin (FF8)
Zemeckis (Brig)
Cauldron (PB)
Asbel Lhant (ToG)

Civilians:

Melville (S3)
Elmo (FM4)
Charmles (DQ8)
Torneko Taloon (DQ4)
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 06:02:57 AM »
Pretty much think we're all in agreement that the Shadow Hearts bigs are generally in the Superhuman / Divine Being borderlands and can plausibly be argued to go in either.  (Re Lady vs. the others, I don't know about calling Lady the embodiment of evil - she's basically the same as, say, the Malice being at Halley's orphanage, or the big bad in Koudelka, just with way more Malice in her.  Very powerful and certainly arguable she'd win a straight slugfest against the SH2 bigs, but she's also a mindless loose cannon, which can hurt in plot power tournies.)

More random comments!  Take them for what you will, etc.  Re Lance's noms...  Ashunera has the same problem as Arek the Absolute in that we're kind of stuck with wild ass guessing for what she can actually do as she never really appears in-game.  (Ashera in Divine or Micaiah in Superhuman, sure.)  FF13 Fang as a Fal'Cie should probably qualify as Superhuman - FF13 is quite explicit that Fal'Cie are way scarier than your average badass and are wrecking crews capable of taking on armies on their lonesome.  Aelia...   VP Einjergar are a bit of a headache, but I personally would be inclined to kneejerk them all as Superhuman...  that or unrankable Punies since they rely on Lenneth being around to manifest them.  Being able to turn into a dragon and blow crap up probably edges Aelia herself up to Superhuman anyway even without having to think too much about Eingerjar interps.

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2012, 08:07:41 AM »
Ashunera has the same problem as Arek the Absolute in that we're kind of stuck with wild ass guessing for what she can actually do as she never really appears in-game.  (Ashera in Divine or Micaiah in Superhuman, sure.)
Well, we know that she created all life on the planet, and she has the power to flood the entire world except for Tellius. We know what Ashera can do and we have a pretty good idea of what Yune can do; Ashunera is just both of them combined. I think we know enough about her.

Aelia...   VP Einjergar are a bit of a headache, but I personally would be inclined to kneejerk them all as Superhuman...  that or unrankable Punies since they rely on Lenneth being around to manifest them.  Being able to turn into a dragon and blow crap up probably edges Aelia herself up to Superhuman anyway even without having to think too much about Eingerjar interps.
I don't think the dragon thing is a huge deal since she can only do it temporarily. She can't sustain her dragon form like a Ryu can (not to my knowledge, anyway). I'll leave this one up to CK. I'll swap her out if need be, but I think she's fine where she is, personally.

FF13 Fang as a Fal'Cie should probably qualify as Superhuman - FF13 is quite explicit that Fal'Cie are way scarier than your average badass and are wrecking crews capable of taking on armies on their lonesome.
And she can turn into Ragnarok too! Yeah, I didn't think this one through too well.

Swapped out Fang for Orlandu. (Perhaps equally controversial, but I'll stand by this one. Even though he's a total badass, at the end of the day, he's still just a guy with a sword.)

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2012, 07:55:01 PM »
Divine Beings

Sin (Final Fantasy X)
Lenneth Valkyrie (Valkyrie Profile)
Valmar (Grandia II)

Superhumans

Geddoe (Suikoden III)
Tir McDohl (Suikoden)
KOS-MOS (Xenosaga)

Warriors

Ike (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn)
Raquel Applegate (Wild ARMs 4)
Squall Leonhart (Final Fantasy VIII)

Civilians

Samuel Oak (Pokémon)
Ion (Tales of the Abyss)
Peasley (Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga)

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2012, 08:26:06 PM »
Divine Beings :

Fear Clysmian (XF)
Nyarlathotep (P2)
Arshtat(S5)
Rhapthorne (DQ8)

Superhuman:

Stocke (RH)
Lightning (FF13)
Bowser (M&L3)
Albert Serdio (LoD)

Warriors:

Flay(MK/2)
Haken Browning (SRT:OGS:EF)
Nel Zelpher (SO3)
Delita Hyral (FFT)

Civilians:

Gina (SaGa)
Fun Master Ion (TotA)
Joachim Mizahri (XSs)
Jillia Blight (S2)
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!