Register

Author Topic: RPGDL 2012 Season 3 Week 1: Mostly Elfboy Fanservice  (Read 3648 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
RPGDL 2012 Season 3 Week 1: Mostly Elfboy Fanservice
« on: December 10, 2012, 02:50:43 AM »
Godlike

Yu Narukami (Persona 4) vs Citan Uzuki (Xenogears)
Jessica Albert (Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King) vs Thanatos (Secret of Mana)
Terra Branford (Final Fantasy VI) vs Deamoned (Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter)
Jade (Breath of Fire) vs Layna (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters)

Heavy

Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) vs Tidus (Final Fantasy X)
Ivan (Golden Sun) vs Groudon (Pokémon Series)
Scias (Breath of Fire IV) vs Maya Schroedinger (Wild ARMs 3)
Hect (Grandia III) vs Queen Zeal (Chrono Trigger)

Middle

Palom (Final Fantasy IV) vs Nadia 'Marle' Guardia (Chrono Trigger)
Elaine (Suikoden III) vs Stocke (Radiant Historia)
Anita (Suikoden II) vs Hippopressor (Mega Man X: Command Mission)
Tear Grants (Tales of the Abyss) vs Rouge (SaGa Frontier)

Light

Augst Henricksen (Wild ARMs 4) vs Rhys (Fire Emblem Series)
Tia (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Norn (Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen)
Fantastica (Wild ARMs XF) vs Ilyana (Fire Emblem Series)
Zhuzhen Liu (Shadow Hearts) vs Cyan Garamonde (Final Fantasy VI)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
Re: RPGDL 2012 Season 3 Week 1: Mostly Elfboy Fanservice
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 03:26:18 AM »
Yu Narukami (Persona 4) vs Citan Uzuki (Xenogears): Physical immunity. Tough luck on that one.
Jessica Albert (Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King) vs Thanatos (Secret of Mana): Not sure. Probably Thanatos.
Terra Branford (Final Fantasy VI) vs Deamoned (Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter): I don't respect Regents at all.
Jade (Breath of Fire) vs Layna (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters): Layna is badass but not badass enough.

Heavy

Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) vs Tidus (Final Fantasy X): Boom.
Ivan (Golden Sun) vs Groudon (Pokémon Series)
Scias (Breath of Fire IV) vs Maya Schroedinger (Wild ARMs 3): Kneejerk reaction is Scias wails on her, and if she hits him too hard he responds with one of his very powerful limit moves.
Hect (Grandia III) vs Queen Zeal (Chrono Trigger): No healing on Hect.

Middle

Palom (Final Fantasy IV) vs Nadia 'Marle' Guardia (Chrono Trigger): No overlevelled stuff for the Twins in 4o.
Elaine (Suikoden III) vs Stocke (Radiant Historia): Threatens a heal-lock with Switch. See Snowfire later on.

Light

Augst Henricksen (Wild ARMs 4) vs Rhys (Fire Emblem Series): Not Augst
Tia (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Norn (Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen): She's better against magic!
Fantastica (Wild ARMs XF) vs Ilyana (Fire Emblem Series): FE counters claim another victim.
Zhuzhen Liu (Shadow Hearts) vs Cyan Garamonde (Final Fantasy VI): I think he just wins a damage war.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 02:04:31 AM by Pyro »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 03:55:09 AM »
Godlike

Jessica Albert (Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King) vs Thanatos (Secret of Mana): Neph's notes make it pretty clear that Thanatos resists (non-holy) elemental damage, so that should spoil Magic Burst, and let him win with sleep/petrify/freeze/whatever.
Terra Branford (Final Fantasy VI) vs Deamoned (Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter): Ned doesn't OHKO Terra due to good def, and probably gets 2HKOed by Ultima? If not she's in some trouble, forget how Drain interacted with absolute defence (if it still worked then she wins easily, of course).

Heavy

Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) vs Tidus (Final Fantasy X): Both are borderline Godlike, but Jowy lines up very well here. OHKO to Tidus' bad defence, fast/durable enough not to be blitzed before then.
Scias (Breath of Fire IV) vs Maya Schroedinger (Wild ARMs 3): Note for Pyro, Scias' limit doesn't kick in 100% of the time. Anyway this... is fairly close? Need to check a few things like (a) does Calamity Jane OHKO, (b) can Scias avoid Maya's limit while still 2HKOing [likely not], (c) who's faster [Scias?]. Good fight, will look up some numbers in a bit. EDIT: Okay, some answers. Maya does OHKO (Scias is 83% pdur, I definitely see Calamity Jane closer to 90%). Scias is faster. Scias can 2HKO, but... Shining Blade only does 69% to average. Maya's probably PCHP at worst to me... slightly higher even... and if she's even slightly higher than 69% can never dodge Maya's limit (below 2/3 of her max HP). Even if she's average/a bit below, Scias would need to find something which does a perfect amount of damage for his opener. It looks like his physical is too strong (he can't weaken his weapon since this also weakens Shiningblade), and his magic is too weak. Maaybe he could use two Blizzards + Shiningblade, but that lets Maya possibly just 2HKO him with normal damage? Probably not. It is his best argument, but he needs numbers to line up just perfectly. Meh.
Hect (Grandia III) vs Queen Zeal (Chrono Trigger): Strong kneejerk. Zeal is way faster, wins with Hallation/poke, and Hect can't fuck around trying to avoid doubleturns post-limit because Zeal... may just 2HKO her with Hexagon Mist to start with, and certainly 3HKOs. Actually, screw Hallation.

Middle

Palom (Final Fantasy IV) vs Nadia 'Marle' Guardia (Chrono Trigger): Status immune, good mdef to ward off Death (not that I respect Death any to start with), inflicts stop or whatever.
Elaine (Suikoden III) vs Stocke (Radiant Historia): Oh. Hmm. Elaine just avoids a 2HKO, and is faster. That seems to put some pressure on Stocke, but... even with fire (which is slow as hell), she only barely 3HKOs, and Stocke can stall that with his crappy healing. Her physical is a 5HKO here because Stocke pdur, so he can... slowly make headway against that by healing? Eh, probably not fast enough, since Elaine's physicals do stun rarely and she does doubleturn periodically. I... think Elaine pulls this out. Close though. Not sure if Switch would flip this fight (I'll let someone else wrap their head around that).
Anita (Suikoden II) vs Hippopressor (Mega Man X: Command Mission): Close which probably incidates Hippopressor's problems in the division since he does the spoiling here. Anyway, gets off Shark Missiles which he 2HKOs with just fine, and this does happen before Anita's fouth turn. Anita fails to 3HKO here, so yeah.
Tear Grants (Tales of the Abyss) vs Rouge (SaGa Frontier): This seems awfully familiar somehow. Turn 2 ID against Tear... can she stop it? Doesn't look like she can 2HKO first, not aware of any tricks she has here that'd work.

Light

Augst Henricksen (Wild ARMs 4) vs Rhys (Fire Emblem Series): Don't see Augst as nulling holy. You easily could, though! A good match involving Augst!
Fantastica (Wild ARMs XF) vs Ilyana (Fire Emblem Series): Even assuming good accuracy against Ilyana, Fantastica has a 4HKO that triggers counters while Ilyana has a 3HKO. Slow Down? What Slow Down? Also, Ilyana goes first.
Zhuzhen Liu (Shadow Hearts) vs Cyan Garamonde (Final Fantasy VI): Assuming Leo's Bear Zhuzhen handles anything Cyan does easily enough. Cyan miiight stall him with Empowerer though, if he doesn't get statused before then.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 04:06:20 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 04:19:42 AM »
Godlike

Yu Narukami (Persona 4) vs Citan Uzuki (Xenogears)
Terra Branford (Final Fantasy VI) vs Deamoned (Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter)- Fatal Blow anything should eventually stick (AD meaning that Drain is not really an option)

Heavy

Ivan (Golden Sun) vs Groudon (Pokémon Series)- Should status which one of many options
Scias (Breath of Fire IV) vs Maya Schroedinger (Wild ARMs 3)- HP limit boss vs Scias
Hect (Grandia III) vs Queen Zeal (Chrono Trigger)- Hect may have a way (If Armaggedeon does less than half Zeal's HP and the defense drop makes Heaven's Gate do more than half), but not going to have a way to test in the next week so...

Middle

Palom (Final Fantasy IV) vs Nadia 'Marle' Guardia (Chrono Trigger)- Death
Elaine (Suikoden III) vs Stocke (Radiant Historia)- Healing and physical both faster than Stocke (barring Stocke 2HKO, which seems unlikely)
Tear Grants (Tales of the Abyss) vs Rouge (SaGa Frontier)- Turn 2 ID. Should...avoid being 2HKOed, if not by much even against Tear.l

Light

Augst Henricksen (Wild ARMs 4) vs Rhys (Fire Emblem Series)- We all lose.
Tia (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Norn (Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen)- Hmm, I'll let Super analyze this one.
Fantastica (Wild ARMs XF) vs Ilyana (Fire Emblem Series)- Horrible match. Ilyana doesn't get counters here to me (Fantastica would be a range 1-2 yeah). SlowDown is good and actually applicable with both having that horrible damage. Ilyana 3HKOs, Fantastica probably 4HKOs.
Ilyana->Fantastica Slow->Fantastica 1->Ilyana->Fantastica 2->Fantastica 3->Ilyana kills.
...into the nightfall.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 04:34:05 AM »
I thought Deamoned's HP-1 move took his entire turn (so no comboing it with anything) making it pretty useless here. However, neither Meeple nor Split Infinity provide any evidence to corroborate this, so I might just be crazy. Can anyone confirm one way or another?

Maybe.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 06:24:42 AM »
Godlike

Yu Narukami (Persona 4) vs Citan Uzuki (Xenogears)- Slaughter.
Jessica Albert (Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King) vs Thanatos (Secret of Mana)
Terra Branford (Final Fantasy VI) vs Deamoned (Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter)

Heavy

Scias (Breath of Fire IV) vs Maya Schroedinger (Wild ARMs 3)- Not much WA3 boss respect.
Hect (Grandia III) vs Queen Zeal (Chrono Trigger)- Ugh, no.

Middle

Palom (Final Fantasy IV) vs Nadia 'Marle' Guardia (Chrono Trigger)- Death.

Light

Tia (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals)
vs Norn (Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen)- Heal until Aqua Attack, OHKO. Norn isn't far from a OHKO herself, it just doesn't matter.
Fantastica (Wild ARMs XF) vs Ilyana (Fire Emblem Series)- Fantastica is pretty puny.
Zhuzhen Liu (Shadow Hearts) vs Cyan Garamonde (Final Fantasy VI)- Yeah, outslugs. Cyan's drain game is strictly for spoiling healers.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 07:41:41 AM »
Magic is better than physicals at least.  Even if there isn't elemental resistance, Thanatos is enough of a tank he might well survive Magic Burst anyway.  And if he resists it even a little, that's game over.  (Thanatos, the boss for whom the Girl > Sprite > Boy rules of SoM becomes Girl >>> Sprite >>> Boy.)

Heavy

Hect (Grandia III) vs Queen Zeal (Chrono Trigger)
Freeze hype no worky?  Okay.

Middle

Palom (Final Fantasy IV) vs Nadia 'Marle' Guardia (Chrono Trigger)
Stocke 2HKOs here as best I can tell and that kind of seals Elaine's options. 

If Stocke is seen as 3HKOing though...   Weirdly enough I don't think Switch helps Stocke here despite normally doing a number on healers due to the wonkiness of Suikoden 3 charge times.  If Stocke exchanges his turn 1 for Elaine's turn 2, he only double-turns on turn 2 and Elaine magically becomes faster on turn 3 thanks to her healing being much faster than her offense to heal and stop the 3HKO.  So Stocke has to either stall for a natural double turn, or exchange 2 sets of turns...  which would lead to him getting slaughtered off 4x Elaine turns even if Elaine had to trash her offense to reduce Stocke to a 3HKO.  And yeah if Stocke plays a stall game Elaine probably has something nasty on her physical kick in before Stocke doubles (not happening for a loooong time) or gets a Mana Burst.

Light

I am slightly confused because Elf claims in chat that Augst only absorbs 3/4 of the WA4 elements, yet his own stat topic clearly says "absorbs all elements."  (And Sacrifice obviously is not an element.)  That said I am fine with a Rhys vote based on just plain DNRing Augst.  (Hilariously enough, Rhys might have an argument to win via his own FE10 Staff-thwack counters...  if Augst ever attacked.  Which he won't.)

Fantastica (Wild ARMs XF) vs Ilyana (Fire Emblem Series)
Fantastica can double Ilyana and theoretically even reduce her cruddy accuracy and still loses, hilariously.  Eats 1 turn of offense, Slow Down, eats another turn, then moves in to begin the beatdown and also reduces Ilyana's Hit a bit...  and it's far too late.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 07:43:35 AM »
So, I'm going back to my old, old, old school original views here from the RPGP.  This should be badass:

- Unique only (duh), but asshole style - no storebought equipment is allowed unless it is 100% unique by the strictest definition (1 person only...temps also count against this too!  Awesome fun stuff!)
- Plot "forced" stuff...I was always ok with, though never really defined my stance on it - it is allowed for the sake of this

Godlike

Yu Narukami (Persona 4) vs Citan Uzuki (Xenogears) - Yu.  Now...did Hyuga's elemental attacks count as elemental or physical?  I seem to remember them being absorbed by targets who could be hit by regular physical attacks.  I suppose you could push this over to his hyper deathblows being considered elemental and not physical, which gives him a chance (have to use the Earth one primarily, though).  Granted...I think he still loses it handily, but...it's a chance!
Jessica Albert (Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King) vs Thanatos (Secret of Mana) - Thanatos.  Bosses still rule with this interp.
Terra Branford (Final Fantasy VI) vs Deamoned (Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter) - Deamoned.  No defenses for Terra at all as she has nothing unique. 
Jade (Breath of Fire) vs Layna (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) - Jade.  Boss.

Heavy

Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) vs Tidus (Final Fantasy X) - Tardus.  Unique equipment helps a lot - Jowy dies after one hit, basically.
Ivan (Golden Sun) vs Groudon (Pokémon Series) - Groudon.  No equipment for Ivan...or Djinni's for that matter
Scias (Breath of Fire IV) vs Maya Schroedinger (Wild ARMs 3) - Maya.  Boss
Hect (Grandia III) vs Queen Zeal (Chrono Trigger) - Zeal.

Middle

Palom (Final Fantasy IV) vs Nadia 'Marle' Guardia (Chrono Trigger) - Palom...has unique equipment in FF4a, which boosts him enough to status Marle out.
Elaine (Suikoden III) vs Stocke (Radiant Historia) - ...oh hell.  Stocke, but a bit of a fail-off match here.
Anita (Suikoden II) vs Hippopressor (Mega Man X: Command Mission) - Hippopressor
Tear Grants (Tales of the Abyss) vs Rouge (SaGa Frontier) - Rouge.  Thanks the almighty Allah for the plot magic.  Should not be a Middle here at all.

Light

Augst Henricksen (Wild ARMs 4) vs Rhys (Fire Emblem Series) - Augst.  No item Rhys is sad. 
Tia (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Norn (Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen) - ...fail-off.  Again.  Oh god...Tia, I guess
Fantastica (Wild ARMs XF) vs Ilyana (Fire Emblem Series) - ...Fantastica.  Wow.  FE be screwed over unless you are Mist, Ike, or Elincia.
Zhuzhen Liu (Shadow Hearts) vs Cyan Garamonde (Final Fantasy VI) - Cyan.  Loves me ignoring charge times with my old interp.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

OblivionKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 07:47:08 AM »
I am slightly confused because Elf claims in chat that Augst only absorbs 3/4 of the WA4 elements, yet his own stat topic clearly says "absorbs all elements."  (And Sacrifice obviously is not an element.)  That said I am fine with a Rhys vote based on just plain DNRing Augst.  (Hilariously enough, Rhys might have an argument to win via his own FE10 Staff-thwack counters...  if Augst ever attacked.  Which he won't.

Those were 2 separate thoughts, I believe. 

NEB mentioned the "3/4 elements" in response to blanketing that effect (i.e., if a game has only 3 or 4 elements, would you extend it to include all the crazy ones like STAR elemental in SO2, for example), not to WA4.  WA4 Augst does absorb all the normal elements, but it's only the main 4 of fire, water, wind, earth, so whether you'd extend it to light from Radiant Dawn, for example, is up for debate. 

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 07:50:49 AM »
OK has it. Shoulda used a hyphen instead of a slash clearly!

Stocke misses the 2HKO on average (to me. Should miss it by more to you since you allow traps to work on everything IIRC), Elaine is above (reduces magic damage by 9% per the stat topic, only like 3% below average HP).

Maybe.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 08:04:17 AM »
So, I'm going back to my old, old, old school original views here from the RPGP.  This should be badass:

- Unique only (duh), but asshole style - no storebought equipment is allowed unless it is 100% unique by the strictest definition (1 person only...temps also count against this too!  Awesome fun stuff!)
- Plot "forced" stuff...I was always ok with, though never really defined my stance on it - it is allowed for the sake of this

Light

Augst Henricksen (Wild ARMs 4) vs Rhys (Fire Emblem Series) - Augst.  No item Rhys is sad. 

could not Rhys use his FE9 form, where only he could use Light magic?  Unless you're counting enemies against him I guess.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 08:41:03 AM »
Traps don't work on everything but they work against enough of the DL that I agree they should go in the average, but it's still a very subtle effect (1/7 of the cast, and Aht goes from 513 damage off 3x Cross Star -> 755 damage off X Star Trap -> Push Assault -> Cross Star, not a huge leap).  That said fair point that since the Stocke 2HKO case is borderline, the subtle effect might be enough since Elaine has fullhealing and the only thing that matters is 2HKO or 3HKO.  (I'm generally inclined to tiebreak against S3 a tad because there's a huge wealth of equipment and skill options, which is great, but it's hard to determine what can be done at once.  MDef claimed in the stat topic appeared to be average, but never mind, see you were using the MRes percentage, which I assume bakes in skills & other stuff or something.)  I'll think about it.

Re Augst: I see.  For me, if you immune all elements in your home game, you clearly have elemental immunity, and FE Light is very much an element that can hit weakness, be resisted, etc., so yeah.

OK, if the entire FF6 cast is reduced to starting equipment and a few choice extras, then everyone's defense is equally hosed, so it shouldn't matter aside from Terra losing her Block rate.  Even if a few duelers do have legal DEF claims, FF6 Defense formula means that it really doesn't matter much since they're still at ~100 DEF or so which is nearly useless.  (If you don't even allow starting equipment and everyone is naked, this is even more true!)  So Naked Terra should do fine and Drain her way to victory even through OK-levels of boss HP.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 09:41:11 AM »
Godlike
Nope.

Heavy

Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) vs Tidus (Final Fantasy X) - Kaboom.
Ivan (Golden Sun) vs Groudon (Pokémon Series) - Status and wind magic.
Scias (Breath of Fire IV) vs Maya Schroedinger (Wild ARMs 3) - Edit: Mmm yeah okay covinced enough to switch vote.  It wasn't a bad match regardless.

Middle

Palom (Final Fantasy IV) vs Nadia 'Marle' Guardia (Chrono Trigger) - don't care enough
Anita (Suikoden II) vs Hippopressor (Mega Man X: Command Mission) - Sure, probably gets two shark missiles off.

Light

Augst Henricksen (Wild ARMs 4) vs Rhys (Fire Emblem Series) - well if I'm going to take a harsher stand towards status immunities I should probably also take a harsher one towards elemental ones.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 08:23:56 PM by Random Consonant »

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 11:55:01 AM »
Godlike

Yu Narukami (Persona 4) vs Citan Uzuki (Xenogears) - [EDIT] gfd narukami stop getting in.  You and your yuna-grade bullshit have been in three times already, seriously.  Abstaining from vote.
Terra Branford (Final Fantasy VI) vs Deamoned (Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter) - I'll have to think on this one.  I give AD a bit more respect.
Jade (Breath of Fire) vs Layna (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) - BOLTXBOLTXBOLTXBOLTX

Heavy

Hect (Grandia III) vs Queen Zeal (Chrono Trigger) - ouch, Hect.  Honestly, you feel a bit more of a Middle to me anyway.

Middle

Palom (Final Fantasy IV) vs Nadia 'Marle' Guardia (Chrono Trigger) - Pretty sure Vigil Hats don't hit Death.
Tear Grants (Tales of the Abyss) vs Rouge (SaGa Frontier) - Implosion or whatnot should do the trick.  I remember TotA being particularly bad for status protection and I also remember Tear not being the most competent at offense.

Light

Augst Henricksen (Wild ARMs 4) vs Rhys (Fire Emblem Series) -- BEST MATCH EVER.
Zhuzhen Liu (Shadow Hearts) vs Cyan Garamonde (Final Fantasy VI) -- Not really giving Cyan much benefit here.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 12:20:00 PM by Namagomi »
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 12:06:21 PM »
Yu Narukami (Persona 4) vs Citan Uzuki (Xenogears) - Yoshitsune. *sigh.* At least Thanatos splatters Yu's ass flat on Week 3. EDIT: seeing Deathblows go through the physical immunity does -nothing- to make the match even remotely less one-sided. Citan can't insta-double Yu with Senkei, can't keep him from having enough HP to use Hassou Tobi and Yu OHKOs him no matter what - not that he has to, since Die For Me! has like 90% hit rate in practice and Citan has zero recourse against ID.
Jessica Albert (Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King) vs Thanatos (Secret of Mana) - Thanatos survives a Magic Burst pretty clearly with his resistances alone (he's like 1.1x PC HP to me before defenses apply, and IIRC, he pretty much halves both physicals and magic even before resistances), then status splatters Jessica's ass pretty flat. Bounce could be a point if Thanatos couldn't start a stunlock with his hand form physical.
Jade (Breath of Fire) vs Layna (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) - Layna hits the wrong defenses and has less than half Jade's durability before any defense nonsense applies. You don't outslug Jade with physicals pretty much ever unless you wall everything he does.

Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) vs Tidus (Final Fantasy X) - lol ohko
Scias (Breath of Fire IV) vs Maya Schroedinger (Wild ARMs 3) - My views of Maya line up much closer to NEB's than Random's, so yeah.
Hect (Grandia III) vs Queen Zeal (Chrono Trigger) - Problem with Freeze: I don't think I see it stopping the MT-answering counters and Zeal shouldn't be far from a 2HKO to Hect as it stands. Not to mention Hect herself likely misses the 2HKO. This just doesn't bode well.

Palom (Final Fantasy IV) vs Nadia 'Marle' Guardia (Chrono Trigger) - grrrrrrrrrr 4A Palom immunes Confuse and Death is turn two even against Marle mdef.
Elaine (Suikoden III) vs Stocke (Radiant Historia) - Don't see Stocke 2HKOing average and I take lower averages for RH in general due to Aht damage suck (traps pretty much only have any use if she sleeps the enemy or instadoubles to me). Stun probably keeps Stocke from being able to truly make headway to boot, since his healing likely barely undoes -one- Elaine attack string.
Anita (Suikoden II) vs Hippopressor (Mega Man X: Command Mission) - OH YEAH
Tear Grants (Tales of the Abyss) vs Rouge (SaGa Frontier) - Tear's best shot here is trying to spam TotA's awful Sleep spell (awful because it certainly doesn't last even enough for her to follow up with an attack string and damage wakes enemies up) and that's so damned -bad-. I think she's slow enough to not get a 3-2 to boot, which just seals things against her decisively.

Augst Henricksen (Wild ARMs 4) vs Rhys (Fire Emblem Series) - Inclined to not be very lenient on basic full elemental immunity.
Tia (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Norn (Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen) - Didn't I see this on Proving Grounds?
Fantastica (Wild ARMs XF) vs Ilyana (Fire Emblem Series) - FE9 Ilyana for me. I agree with NEB that Slow Down is useless as well (Ilyana 3HKOs Fantastica and counters, not to mention Fantastica is slower at base). And since Fantastica like 4HKOs fucking ILYANA OF THE 55~% PDUR...
Zhuzhen Liu (Shadow Hearts) vs Cyan Garamonde (Final Fantasy VI) - Status, worst comes to worst. Cyan is trash.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 03:16:59 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 03:33:43 PM »
Actually I totally forgot about Bounce from Jessica.  And Thanatos's hand-stun does not deserve a ton of respect - he can hit the area around the hands when you walk right on top of them, but not the rest of the fairly large battlefield.  Certainly the Boy with the Whip at the max range can strike the hands and not be affected by the damage, let alone the Sprite hanging back and casting. 

The real issue is what else Thanatos has as a backup physical / special move.  I believe his beams that travel on very set predictable lines are physical (that also cause status whee) but are also questionably accurate in the DL.  I wouldn't be utterly shocked if Pygmus Glare went through SoM Wall though which would hand the match back to Thanatos.  Hmm....

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 03:45:41 PM »
I guess that's fair, but I honestly just kneejerk that I wouldn't give Bounce that much respect myself (thus keeping the kneejerk intact). There's also a little bit of "lolololol thanatos >>>>>>>>>> yu" in me for week 3, but I still consider Thanatos' case to be better than Jessica's even with the issues with Hand Crush: range in DQ8 isn't in-game relevant and Jessica's own evade is quite trashy - not to mention he only needs one Hand Crush to win in practice (FUCK UNCONSCIOUS STATUS). I can totally see saying it takes a while for Thanatos to connect a Monty Python hand and I even think I agree! Just I don't think he'll miss enough to die. >_>
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 07:05:35 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 04:04:08 PM »
I'm reasonably sure Ned's HP-1 ended his turn, for what it's worth.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

OblivionKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 04:40:20 PM »
Forgot about FE9 form of Rhys...think he still loses, but it's closer.  Nosferatu...mmm...I take the elemental resistances literally, so Augst isn't immune to light magic.  Having said that...mmm...FE9 Rhys may actually take that.  Yeah, he does.  Wow...:(

OK, if the entire FF6 cast is reduced to starting equipment and a few choice extras, then everyone's defense is equally hosed, so it shouldn't matter aside from Terra losing her Block rate.  Even if a few duelers do have legal DEF claims, FF6 Defense formula means that it really doesn't matter much since they're still at ~100 DEF or so which is nearly useless.  (If you don't even allow starting equipment and everyone is naked, this is even more true!)  So Naked Terra should do fine and Drain her way to victory even through OK-levels of boss HP.

Relm has Czarina Gown as a unique, Umaro has the forced Snow Muffler...I think that's it.  Yeah, no starting equipment either unless it is unique.  I still think the HP is a bit much, but even with the defensive system in FF6, I still think it's not enough (after all, she still would take a lot more than "average" in that sense, to me, at least, with this view!).  Probably gets 1-shotted, honestly, to me.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 06:58:09 PM »
Snow Muffler is 128 Def.  Czarina Gown is 70 Def.  If everyone else is naked, that means that Umaro halves damages comparatively, and Relm cuts damage by ~27%.  In a cast size of 14, that barely makes a dent in the averages.  Average damage taken back of the envelope calculation: (12*1 + .5 + .73)  / 14 = ~.95, so Terra is only taking ever so slightly more damage than usual.  Now sure if she runs out of MP in the drain game because OK boss HP is just that crazy, maybe (although she can totally solo FF6 bosses this way), but I don't the OHKO argument works!

OblivionKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 07:13:34 PM »
Guess it depends on how I look at AD, which never came up with my old, old, old views. 

Deamoned is.  He deals 450 or so damage (150% average HP or so...I use higher levels) with 3 Multi-Attacks.  He can also stun (can't remember what that does or if it matters) and do HP-1.  I...can't remember, will check later to see how he can use HP-1.  By my calculations he has...15x HP before his AD of 200, which...depends on how I interpret that.  It either effectively gives him 76x HP or he effectively reduces damage by 75% or something similar. 

Granted, with the damage listed, he just one-shots Terra anyway, so....

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 07:28:08 PM »
Also OK I'd like to point out that your view is possibly the only one where Rolf wants his FE9 form.  (Unique Rolf's Bow, lots of laguz aren't attacking any time soon despite having legal weapons, so lots of 0s in the damage average and FE9 Rolf is a Godlike overkiller with his fearsome hated bow...  I believe FE10 Rolf's Bow isn't unique.)

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 08:11:50 PM »
Terra Branford (Final Fantasy VI) vs Deamoned (Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter): Ned doesn't OHKO Terra due to good def, and probably gets 2HKOed by Ultima? If not she's in some trouble, forget how Drain interacted with absolute defence (if it still worked then she wins easily, of course).

From what I remember, draining still works through absolute defense.  But my memory is pretty unreliable so I'm not too sure.

If Stocke is seen as 3HKOing though...   Weirdly enough I don't think Switch helps Stocke here despite normally doing a number on healers due to the wonkiness of Suikoden 3 charge times.  If Stocke exchanges his turn 1 for Elaine's turn 2, he only double-turns on turn 2 and Elaine magically becomes faster on turn 3 thanks to her healing being much faster than her offense to heal and stop the 3HKO.  So Stocke has to either stall for a natural double turn, or exchange 2 sets of turns...  which would lead to him getting slaughtered off 4x Elaine turns even if Elaine had to trash her offense to reduce Stocke to a 3HKO.  And yeah if Stocke plays a stall game Elaine probably has something nasty on her physical kick in before Stocke doubles (not happening for a loooong time) or gets a Mana Burst.

Seems like switching on turn 1 is pointless.  Try turn 2.

Elaine: Attack
Stocke: Attack
Elaine: Attack
Stock: Switch with Elaine's next turn.  (Turn order: Elaine, Stocke, Stocke, Elaine, Stocke, ...)
Elaine: Heal (Has to here to not die.)
Stocke: Attack, switch with Elaine.  (Turn order: Elaine, Stocke, Stocke, Elaine, Stocke,...)
Elaine: Heal (Has to here to not die.)

Until either Elaine gets a natural double or runs out of MP.  Or I guess Stocke could get one of those limit things that I always forget existed.  Elaine could opt to heal on turn 2, but she's immediately put in the same position anyway.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 08:48:42 PM »
First off Elaine's best damage is very slow, certainly slower than Stocke, so it's more like...

Stocke: Attack
Elaine: Attack (Explosion)
Stocke: Switch with Elaine's next turn.  (Turn order: Elaine, Elaine, [turn 3] Stocke, Stocke, [turn 4]...)
Elaine: Attack (Explosion)
Elaine: Heal (Has to here to not die.) Attack (Explosion)

Stocke has ~1.2 effective PCHP vs. magic.  Elaine can't max her own magic since she absolutely must equip for defense to avoid Stocke's 2HKO, so she misses a natural 3HKO of her own....  but with Stocke switched, he's eating 20% more damage, so Elaine surely just completes the 3HKO here.  In fact, the fact that she's slow helps out, because it means that both her switched turn and her natural turn 2 get to hit Stocke for +20% damage.

Granted if you force Elaine to drop any charging spells if she wants to do something with a surprise extra Switch turns (similar to S3 spells with a multiturn charge time), Elaine has a problem; she must physical her natural turn 2 then to get it to be faster than Stocke, so she must 3HKO with Explosion + physical + Switch Boosted Explosion which is shaky at best.  That said this seems a bit harsh to me.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, 08:54:41 PM »
Elaine probably doesn't bother with Explosion unless she lands a Stun, honestly, for the reasons you mentioned.