Author Topic: G'morning, 2013! - Post-Kopocalypse Sunshine Frolics  (Read 43890 times)

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: G'morning, 2013! - Post-Kopocalypse Sunshine Frolics
« Reply #525 on: August 06, 2013, 03:51:31 AM »
The upside is that we have the ability to take this hit. We have to juggle bills p.damn hard and borrow money from Jenna's mother AND sister, but we can do it. Should just be 2 months or so until we're back in the clear, and a month after that we can resume saving like we're supposed to.

Since we're saving up to put a down payment on a house in 2-3 years. Once we have that savings built up, shots like this won't hurt quite so bad, they'll just set back our plans awhile. But right now we're basically just starting it.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: August 06, 2013, 05:02:20 AM »
Well, that's good that you can weather this one.  Still, it seems like every time I hear from you life is just taking a shit on you and your family. I hope that turns around soon, because goddamn you could use some good luck.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 06, 2013, 06:41:33 AM »
Eh, we're mostly fine actually. I just, uh, never remember to post in here unless I have something to gripe about. No news really is good news with me, I suppose?

In an effort to toss up some good news, yay for Tonfa and Tai being out here for awhile, sadly not concurrently though. Having people to hang out with in person is awesome. Tai jumped into a solo-game I run for Jenna for a session, as usual. This time it was a much lower level game, so instead of high powered outsiders and mage-warriors, this time it was animated paintings and a tiny sized golem that was *really* good at running away and hiding from them(they needed the key it had). Then getting banished into the gallery by the ghost painter while an NPC ally was forced to finish his last painting for him. And by into the gallery, I mean into the paintings themselves. It involved a trip through a terribly painted archery contest were one round's losers become the next round's targets, a construction zone(hardhats and all) as drawn by Escher, a Secret of Mana reference(walk the seasons, spring to winter~), getting attacked by a very angry bear-skin rug, a painting of a painter who was painting a painter painting a painting of a painter(etc), and more. Yakkety Sax was played at least once. It was funtimes.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Idun

« Reply #528 on: August 08, 2013, 11:33:09 PM »
Eek, Gate. Second Zenny's sentiment.

On my news in Austin, I really love sharing (whether anyone responds or not) how awesome it is being black, because people always try to locate you. I've been called Ethiopian, Nigerian, Haitian, Jamaican, Kenyan. "DNA test says my maternal side is from Cameroon." After my awesome chat with Gayatri Spivak, I feel comfortable with my reservation: who the fuck cares. I'd quote her, but... no.

Anyway. Point. On bus to go get free bus pass. Asian man sits next to me. OK, whatevs. Used to proximity, being from Atlanta and definitely coming from Boston. But he turns to me and talks to me the entire time, explaining that he is Nippon (?)/Japanese and he finds me so attractive, am I Haitian. Then I say I'm from Georgia, to which he understood Georgia as a country and not the state. Then he says am I African, he means African, and I say no I'm from the United States. Then he says oh, ok, I don't see many black women who embrace their natural beauty here and I think you're beautiful. My bus stop was three points away; I say: "Thank you so much," and keep looking out the window only to feel dirty rubbing passed him to get off the bus. What a weird, weird, weeeeeeeeird (AUSTIN, WEIRD, OMG) experience. People don't normally keep going. And ps, Austin asians are p. cool, tattood out the wazoo.

EDIT:

another weird moment
take roland out to poo, neighborhood black cat that lounges in apt courtyard came batting at Roland. Cat is black. Cat looks just like Jack (my black cat). Roland is confused. I swat the cat away with my hand and it keeps coming. SO. I run Roland around to back patio, open gate, close gate, cat is trying to hop over my fence to get into back patio. I just bought some motherfucking corrector spray and I am not afraid of cat scratches (-hits bicep- once separated Jack from an outside cat fight), put Roland inside and ran in to get the spray, followed that cat to no end with corrector spray. debating on letting Jack outside, but nope. Nope! CALM DOWN. Will just report to management property; people never seem to take aggressive cats seriously over aggressive dogs. And Roland was just batshit confused, but thankfully only a shallow slice on his nozzle.

Day 8 almost over. I have to cook.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 12:26:19 AM by helvetica »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 09, 2013, 02:27:12 AM »
I am home now.  I really want to thank Andy, Ashley, Laggy, CIATOS and elves for the place to crash this holiday.  I needed it so much and all of you guys were amazing (as always).  I had an absolute blast this year and got to see and interact with people I didn't expect to.  Catching Sopko's mum was great even if only quickly.

I can of than Ciatos and elves enough for having me for so long and the Proto-elves once again for many a good dinner and conversation.  DL parents ftw.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 09, 2013, 05:57:20 AM »
and keep looking out the window only to feel dirty rubbing passed him to get off

what

the bus.

oh

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: August 11, 2013, 01:57:30 PM »
Today was so hot that my village's siren went off and they warned people to be very careful if they went outside. Absolutely ridiculous. August is the worst here. So goddamn humid.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: August 11, 2013, 02:29:31 PM »
I've mentioned this in chat over the course of...a while...but might as well bring it up here.  Mentioned it in Misc. Links topic, but maybe this is better?  Whatever.

Friends and I are doing a charity Marathon for Child's Play organization where we just play through games.  Think of it as SGDQ only nowhere near as awesome because we aren't speed runners (well, one of us is, kind of, but shh!)  The stream starts on Monday morning, and can be found here:

http://www.twitch.tv/dapuffster

Schedule, for those interested, is here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhCHMHSHVD8YdGhEaUZrQ0VaVzBueWNYa2ZWRXJ4aXc#gid=0

Games I'm playing are the 2 Mega Man games, Shadow the Hedgehog, and I'm one of the 3 people playing Sonic 2k6 because what started as a joke between me and 2 of my friends turned into a reality, and we're still not sure why we're doing it.  I'll be at the marathon most of the time naturally, being, well, me in on stream...and yes, that means you may see me off in the corner plying my 3DS or something when I'm not playing.

I know some people were actually interested in seeing me play, especially the Sonic 2k6 thing (raw Meeple suffering in video game form, gee, I wonder why people are pro-this?)  As an added factor, the guy whose house we're doing this at made a trailer for the event!  I'm not going to say it's awesome or anything, but I'll link to it anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VChnHJVb5O0

Be cool if you guys supported, or at least watched a little bit of it, even just the segments I'm playing (and you can forever ridicule me as I screw up playing MM1/3 on stream!)

As a fun side note: while I have practiced MM3 several times in the past few months, I haven't touched MM1 in years, so yes, I'm doing a buster only playthrough with no real preparation!
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: August 14, 2013, 02:04:06 AM »
Mmm, have some free time tomorrow. Might catch the tail end of it.

Was visiting grandparents today. Grandfather fell at the weekend and ripped his arm open. Huge gash the length of one side of it. Black/bruising around too. Not pretty. Dry wound now though. Grandmother has been up and down at the doctors and hospital, her heart condition is active, racing heart/beating too fast, etc and problems with her blood pressure as well, she's been for some blood tests and is going in for an x-ray, they are trying to work out what the exact problem is with her heart/heart condition this time to see if they can get her better treatment. She does look ill though and both of them were moving stiffly and out of breath. Not good on the whole.
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Idun

« Reply #534 on: August 14, 2013, 08:26:08 PM »
Wishing you strength and patience, CT.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: August 15, 2013, 12:09:19 AM »
Sorry to hear it, CT.  Hope things go as well as they can for your family.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: August 15, 2013, 04:26:44 PM »
:( to CT.  I hope the best; I've been through that before and it's not easy.  All I can do is wish you the best, which I kind of just said.

And back from the Marathon!  Thanks to those who watched and donated (I know who two of you are, and you know who you are...I hope?), and I am surprised End of the World in Sonic 2k6 wasn't as painful as it could have been!  Staying in some dude's basement for nearly 48+ straight hours does get tiring even when you're mostly just lazily sitting around, eating, and talking.  Raised about $150 total when I left. 

Idun

« Reply #537 on: August 18, 2013, 11:14:56 PM »
-Just- found out that Lord Huron is playing at Stubb's BBQ, and they are sold out. I also apparently have fellow person to DDR with. This is great; haven't had a DDR partner since 2006.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: August 19, 2013, 09:20:41 AM »
There will be a scalper or someone selling a ticket online that thye can't use any more.  There always is.

Edit - Looking for one quickly online shows that Alt-J are headlining that show.  Alt-J are pretty decent.  Would really recommend trying to find tickets now.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 09:24:32 AM by Grefter »

Idun

« Reply #539 on: August 19, 2013, 11:46:27 PM »
Yeah, saw the Alt-J already. I don't have the money to deal with scalpers yet. I wanted to eat at Stubb's and also listen. I'll check again, but it can't be much.

Idun

« Reply #540 on: August 22, 2013, 11:09:54 PM »
I lied. I like theory.

Courses:
Historicizing the Politics of Identity
Post-Structuralism
Black Theory I

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: August 23, 2013, 12:11:54 AM »
A good set of courses.  Want to buy excuse to do a whole unit on Post-Structuralism.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: August 23, 2013, 12:34:13 AM »
I think I'm getting old. Sleep cycles are starting to affect me way more. Two nights ago, about 7.5-8 hours of sleep, felt amazing almost to the point of obnoxiousness. Last night, 6.5-7 hours of sleep, exhausted, have a headache, and on the verge of a panic attack.

Gr8. Best job. W8sted my youth. Gr8est.

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 27, 2013, 02:16:19 AM »
I registered for the GRE and the GRE in Literature.

I've talked about doing this enough, but never followed through. I've been out of university for four years now, and I really miss the academic environment. I took a break so I could stabilize myself a little better, and I'm more confident now that I'll be ready by Fall 2014 than I ever was about one fall to the next.

Mostly, too, I miss flexible schedules, being required to read, and a general depth of conversation that exceeds "Did you remember to include the cover sheet on your TPS report?"

Chances are that I'm going to completely flop on my applications because I am being extremely choosy and not even bothering to apply for places I know I wouldn't enjoy. But at least I'm getting started.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Idun

« Reply #544 on: August 28, 2013, 10:12:20 PM »
Good luck!

But why would you apply to programs you wouldn't enjoy, anyway? "Safety"+grad school for Humanities/LA is a murky situation and probably a waste of time unless something's convincing you that you just need to get x degree.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 28, 2013, 11:12:51 PM »
Best of luck to you!
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: August 29, 2013, 01:50:20 AM »
Good luck!

But why would you apply to programs you wouldn't enjoy, anyway? "Safety"+grad school for Humanities/LA is a murky situation and probably a waste of time unless something's convincing you that you just need to get x degree.

Safety is a lie with grad school, given that even the "safest" programs have <10% admission rates (or shitty funding, meaning may as well not bother) and still depend mostly on notions of fit. But there are programs that are good or great in my field that I have absolutely no interest in applying to because of stupid things like a worse ranking, or a location I'd not like (like NYC). The schools I've chosen have admissions rates <5%, generally, but are also good fits. I guess it's just about winnowing down to 10-12 schools in whatever way!

That said, I do consider getting the MA or PhD purely for the ability to have a career in higher education. But still, I don't think it's quite worth it if the 5-7 years spent at whatever school feel like drudgery because of a personality mismatch.

--

Thanks, Jim. :)
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Idun

« Reply #547 on: August 29, 2013, 03:23:37 AM »
Sounds practical and the way most people with lives apply to programs. 10-12 is a fucking shit-ton.

Well, whatever. I'm done commenting.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: August 29, 2013, 03:41:17 AM »
Can I request that you finish up all discussions with "Whatevers y'all. Peace out bitches!"?

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 29, 2013, 04:07:18 AM »
I officially got accepted to a Grad School!  Hopefully in a few years I will be an actual teacher.