Register

Author Topic: G'morning, 2013! - Post-Kopocalypse Sunshine Frolics  (Read 43939 times)

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
Re: G'morning, 2013! - Post-Kopocalypse Sunshine Frolics
« Reply #575 on: September 05, 2013, 05:03:50 PM »
good Beyond the Beyond

I object to this combination of words on principle.

Idun

« Reply #576 on: September 05, 2013, 06:43:29 PM »
The bleeps are awesome for stepping bro.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: September 06, 2013, 01:06:12 PM »
Holy hell when did I last post?

Life has been busy.  Honestly, here's my biggest thing recently (that really pissed me off):

I love cats.  I really do.  We found an abandoned cat (~2-3 years old) outside of our apartment complex a little over a week ago.  Nice, sweet, cute black cat.  Took it for a scan, no microchip.  Cat is still clearly domesticated, probably abandoned by someone moving out of the apartment complex.

Put up signs.  Most were taken down.

We have 4 cats and can't really take a 5th on in.  So I take it to the humane society.  Humane society calls me a week later and says that she doesn't like it there because of the dogs barking and will euthanize her, despite her starting to get better at acclimating.  I pick her up, and have to keep her in the communal laundry room because EVERY SHELTER FOR 100 MILES IS COMPLETELY FULL AND NO ONE WILL TAKE A CAT.  A couple places even said they would just euthanize her if we brought her there.  Found one place who said they'd take her...brought her there, and she sneezed in the intake area.  Immediately, we were told they would have to euthanize her if we brought her there!  Wow! 

Seriously...everywhere is full, and no one can take her unless we want her dead.  I took her to the vet, and she's completely clean.  No FIV, FLV, fleas, etc.  Eventually, I finally found someone on Tuesday to take her, thank god.  I think the apartment company was going to murder us if she was there another day. 

Life lesson - unless you can take it in, try to ignore the crying outside of the apartment in the future.  Every shelter is full this year, apparently due to a massive kitten birthing. 

So...uh...go adopt cats! 
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: September 06, 2013, 02:39:35 PM »
That's pretty O_o OK.

In other news, High Holidays continue to suck.  Ok, meeting with family isn't too bad in the afternoon/evening, more just the long services in the morning, and the hecticness in the house before people get there.

Worst part is...next week is the worst of the two, so I have that to "look forward" to.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: September 06, 2013, 07:22:12 PM »
Holy hell when did I last post?

Life has been busy.  Honestly, here's my biggest thing recently (that really pissed me off):

I love cats.  I really do.  We found an abandoned cat (~2-3 years old) outside of our apartment complex a little over a week ago.  Nice, sweet, cute black cat.  Took it for a scan, no microchip.  Cat is still clearly domesticated, probably abandoned by someone moving out of the apartment complex.

Put up signs.  Most were taken down.

We have 4 cats and can't really take a 5th on in.  So I take it to the humane society.  Humane society calls me a week later and says that she doesn't like it there because of the dogs barking and will euthanize her, despite her starting to get better at acclimating.  I pick her up, and have to keep her in the communal laundry room because EVERY SHELTER FOR 100 MILES IS COMPLETELY FULL AND NO ONE WILL TAKE A CAT.  A couple places even said they would just euthanize her if we brought her there.  Found one place who said they'd take her...brought her there, and she sneezed in the intake area.  Immediately, we were told they would have to euthanize her if we brought her there!  Wow! 

Seriously...everywhere is full, and no one can take her unless we want her dead.  I took her to the vet, and she's completely clean.  No FIV, FLV, fleas, etc.  Eventually, I finally found someone on Tuesday to take her, thank god.  I think the apartment company was going to murder us if she was there another day. 

Life lesson - unless you can take it in, try to ignore the crying outside of the apartment in the future.  Every shelter is full this year, apparently due to a massive kitten birthing. 

So...uh...go adopt cats!

Of course OK's first message back would be to go out and get more pussy.

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: September 06, 2013, 08:51:59 PM »
Young, at that.

--

I don't think I've fulfilled the terms of the joke yet, so here you go:

How do you know if someone is vegan?
They tell you!

Yo, guys. I'm vegan.

Been eating that way for 3 weeks now, with no issue and only a few small exceptions (honey on some granola bars I had, 1 Pumpkin Spice Latte (which has milk in the base mix) because I fucking love that drink and I got one for free). Sticking it out for the long term, it looks like! Probably 80% vegan, 10% vegetarian, 10% omnivore, but so far it's been 99% vegan. Woo.

Also, did you know that Oreos are vegan? As are Skittles? And a whoooole bunch of other cookies and bread and other crap I shouldn't be eating? Amazing. Also destructive. But despite eating so many of those things, I still managed to lose 5 pounds. Double woo.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 09:28:48 PM by Lady Door »
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #581 on: September 07, 2013, 06:30:08 AM »
Skittles kinda surprises me.  I'd have figured it'd have some bug-dyes or something.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: September 07, 2013, 08:49:34 AM »
They weren't, until 2009. They used to use carminic acid (beetle juice), shellac (beetle shell) and gelatin (hooves). Now they don't!

Oreos being vegan amuses me. What? That cookie with a cream center? Whipped soybean oil, bro!

Most people would realize that makes Oreos really far from an actual food. Oh well!

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #583 on: September 07, 2013, 09:20:12 AM »
Soybean oil is way more foodlike than I'd have assumed.

I'm kinda curious now what Skittles switched to.  Intuitively I feel like at least some of the colors would have to be artificial, and honestly I'd rather have bug-guts.  Buuuuut it does make it vegan I guess.

... actually it could be lycopene and the like, I guess.  Although that seems like it'd spike the cost of the things.

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: September 07, 2013, 02:27:04 PM »
Oreos weren't vegan for a while themselves actually.  I know this because they were considered unkosher due to having Animal Fat in them, and thus we bought Hydrox, essentially the Kosher variation (which technically was made first, but who cares) instead.  Mid-90s, that changed, and Oreos started using Vegetable Shortening or whatever instead, and have been doing that ever since.

Easy way to tell if junk food is vegan is if it's Kosher and lacks any milk products in it, often (well, and honey, I suppose.)  Kosher symbols are usually a K, usually in some sort of symbol or shape, or a circled U.  If it's kosher, then that means there's no meat products in it, so checking if it's Dairy is the logical next step.

Also, often there's a "D" or a "P" on the product too.  "D" will mean Dairy, so obviously not Vegan.  "P" means "Parve" which, in short, means "not Meat nor Dairy"; no, doesn't automatically mean Vegan because Fish is considered Parve too, though I don't think that really plays a role in junk food.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #585 on: September 07, 2013, 06:57:11 PM »
My condolences.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #586 on: September 07, 2013, 10:24:20 PM »
At least she's not doing it to rebel or something. She clearly didn't have any problems eating copious amounts of cow at DLCon when we went to the Brazillian steakhouse.

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: September 08, 2013, 07:51:34 AM »
Nah. I care about the normal stuff - factory farming, resource waste, etc - buy I'm mostly doing it because I can, it's cheaper, and it forces me to eat more vegetables and just generally be more mindful about what I'm eating and what impact those foods have on my mind, my body, and the rest of the world.

Kinda zen, I guess?

I noticed that about Kosher, since they tend to put that symbol next to any assertions about whether it's vegan. Lucky for me, milk is an allergen, so it is usually called out in bold at the end of the ingredients.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: September 08, 2013, 03:35:24 PM »
Milk being an allergen does explain the Vegan route instead of just becoming a vegetarian.  If you can't have milk, and are going to have a more vegeratian diet, I guess the only difference between Vegan and Vegetarian is "will you eat Eggs and Honey" in this case?

Also, having dietary restrictions isn't as hard as people think, as most places have at least one thing available that is eat-able.  Passover, no the other-hand...that's a different story entirely.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 03:40:15 PM by Meeplelard »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: September 08, 2013, 11:04:09 PM »
So I saw a pair of jean shorts sitting on top of a banana peel at the gym today.  Take a picture thinking I can make an Andy Warhol joke with it sometime.  Then I realize that there needs to be a gay lifestyle Pop Art themed gym called The Factory somewhere.  I hope there is and I hope it gets a ton of business.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: September 08, 2013, 11:13:01 PM »
To be clear, Meeple, I was commenting on the US food production world acknowledging milk as an allergen, which means they tend to put it in bold text and call it out separately on an ingredients list. It simplifies things because then I don't need to try and guess which by-products actually include milk.

That said, milk and I don't always get along, so I'm okay putting dairy aside.

Eggs and honey I enjoy, but am indifferent to. The hardest part of cutting them out is the number of things I do enjoy that include them. But it's not worth it to me, so whatever.

The hardest part is that it's hard to have to cook all your food. It's SO DAMN EASY to go around the corner to get a burger or a burrito or a pizza or a sandwich when you can eat anything (whether you should or not). This is where that mindfulness thing comes in handy. I've saved a lot of money by sticking to home eating so much more, and I've saved a ton of useless calories by not going for the easy version instead of the homemade version.

But it's got nothing on High Holiday rules, I'll grant that!

It's been easier for me because we have a vegan friend. We've been aware of a lot of the ins and outs of veganism through him, so it's not such a huge leap into the darkness for me. Plus, since we see him almost every week, and he doesn't ever cook, he gives good insight into what's available!

--

Grefter.

That is one of the most Grefter things I've heard since you left. Kudos.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: September 09, 2013, 01:25:47 AM »
Technically, Passover isn't a High Holiday, merely one of the "Festivals" which is still pretty important mind you but...well...

SPEAKING OF THOSE, Rosh Hashana ended the other night.  I think I might have said this already, but yeah.  I'm actually tempted to do another "Meeple Informative Rant On Jewish Holidays" for those who are actually interested in those kinds of things, but that requires being unlazy (this would be on both Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur)...yes, talking about the Holiday as it comes up is a great way to dread it more, I know <_<

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: September 10, 2013, 08:02:36 PM »
I'm always interested. My relationship with religion is a strange one, so I enjoy hearing about others' experiences. I'm particularly fascinated with generational religion.

My own parents were indifferent at best. My mom's parents were faithful Anglicans. My best friend was a devout Baptist, since lapsed, and I went to a number of youth groups with her up through middle school. I spent much of my younger years in the South, which has its own special relationship with religion.

I study a period of literature that is greatly influenced by the origins of Christianity and its relationship to extant religions. I regularly spend time in churches (mostly Catholic ones) for purely secular reasons. I've attended all of one Catholic service, accidentally.

All that to say: religion fascinates me, but I'm definitely an outsider, especially when it comes to non-Christian faiths. I love hearing about rituals and traditions.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: September 10, 2013, 08:41:04 PM »
Technically, Passover isn't a High Holiday, merely one of the "Festivals" which is still pretty important mind you but...well...

SPEAKING OF THOSE, Rosh Hashana ended the other night.  I think I might have said this already, but yeah.  I'm actually tempted to do another "Meeple Informative Rant On Jewish Holidays" for those who are actually interested in those kinds of things, but that requires being unlazy (this would be on both Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur)...yes, talking about the Holiday as it comes up is a great way to dread it more, I know <_<

To give you an idea, I'm an atheist and I like reading your rants. Understanding a basic idea of rituals and traditions outside one's life sphere is, if nothing else, fascinating.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Idun

« Reply #594 on: September 11, 2013, 06:29:10 AM »
Milk being an allergen does explain the Vegan route instead of just becoming a vegetarian.

Just saw this. I remember having the most difficulty being a vegetarian and having a lactose-intolerance, simply because the uncreative minds of cooks simply replaced not eating meat with copious amounts of cheese. Awful.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #595 on: September 11, 2013, 08:53:13 AM »
I choose to blame America at large for that one.  Yeah, everyone associates cheese and wine with France, but by god in america you can get cheese on anything, and generally speaking that's just what people WILL order cheese on.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: September 11, 2013, 11:01:30 AM »
Tri-Ace is alive!!! Eeryone!! Tri-Ace is ALIVE!!!

Just... just why are they making the new Phantasy Star!?

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: September 11, 2013, 01:50:57 PM »

To give you an idea, I'm an atheist and I like reading your rants. Understanding a basic idea of rituals and traditions outside one's life sphere is, if nothing else, fascinating.

*Nods*
I'll try throwing something up this weekend then.  I was considering doing it tomorrow (when I am not doing anything sans unexpected work), but then I realized talking about Yom kippur rituals is only going to make the anxiety of the holiday worse.  Might as well do it right after I finished and it's all in the past, and I can joke about the suffering I went through!

And yes, I am being melodramatic and jesting about Yom Kippur and suffering.  The holiday does suck, mind you, but "anxiety" is blown it out of proportion <_<

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: September 11, 2013, 03:30:04 PM »
And yes, I am being melodramatic and jesting about Yom Kippur and suffering.  The holiday does suck, mind you, but "anxiety" is blown it out of proportion <_<

I have never known you to blow something out of proportion.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Idun

« Reply #599 on: September 11, 2013, 05:16:47 PM »
I choose to blame America at large for that one.  Yeah, everyone associates cheese and wine with France, but by god in america you can get cheese on anything, and generally speaking that's just what people WILL order cheese on.

If it's fried, it's fair game supposedly! If it's grilled, it's all good supposedly. If it's baked, well, now, who wouldn't want cheese in anything baked? If it's sautéed, perhaps it'll only be good if you genuinely know what sauté is. Yeah, apparently the transition from omnivore to vegetarian puts you in two phases: months of different vegetable medleys to medley-like quiche or tortillas. It was awful, awful.

Wish I could call some of our eating idiosyncrasies "fads." Ever heard of "cronut" or "butter burger"? I'm sure both are delicious, but my word.

Edit* Niu, cool!