Register

Author Topic: G'morning, 2013! - Post-Kopocalypse Sunshine Frolics  (Read 45418 times)

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
Re: G'morning, 2013! - Post-Kopocalypse Sunshine Frolics
« Reply #725 on: November 18, 2013, 09:11:23 PM »
GRE done. Scores acceptable but not outstanding, so fuck it, whatever.

Birthday surprise was best friend driving up to spend Wednesday-Sunday with me. Yay! Except for last week being so goddamned busy and that super duper interfered. Oh well, friends are more important things in life, especially when you're like me and you have practically zero of them.

Did NaNoWriMo fundraiser dinner thingy. Wrote a wrist-crampingly astounding 18k+ words in 6 hours, which put me at par for where I was supposed to be as of yesterday which I am now promptly going to fall behind again on because...

This week is Important Phone interview, Will She or Won't She for the conversation about the move to our Berlin office, attempt at previously canceled but hopefully rescheduled appointment, and Goddamnit I need to get my professors the stuff they need for recommendation letters LIKE RIGHT NOW. Plus Doctor Who needs catching up because the special is on Saturday, and also MLP season premier.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Idun

« Reply #726 on: November 19, 2013, 04:43:55 AM »
You are a real person that has these things happen.  Life is amazing.

Today I watched a for reals grown ass man stand on a seat in a bus shelter thing to avoid getting wet in a storm.  You are like 40.  You know this is futile.  Why are you taking up that much space on the seat that someone else could use if you just sat he fuck down.  You are going to be wet when a bus comes to pick you up or just drives by anyway (which is what happened).

Haha. Sir, pause. Really though?

Also, these things happen if you go to the right places. . .  it's not hard, but only so many people mop the floor. You get there early to do it before the floor gets one drop of alcohol on it. Then you leave early, like an old person.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #727 on: November 19, 2013, 01:20:47 PM »
So after 3 months of hell due to unexpected expenses... overcharged medical fees, surprise car repair bills, unfortunate traffic ticket, reduced hours in my job... I thought I was finally getting passed the hard part. I found a better job, managed to fix some of the medical fees, got some extra flexibility on some of my bills for the month, worked some extra hours at my part time job. I thought I was really gonna be able to get my savings back that had been nearly wiped out. And then my roommate told me that my current living arrangements weren't going to last for much longer and I have maybe 4 months to find something else. And last week I just started my new job and I have to redo a bunch of training that I already did at my last job, slowing down my chances for progressing quickly there. And then two days ago, my car broke down in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night.

It blew a rod and busted a hole in the block, making it completely unsalvageable. I had to pay for a $100 taxi ride home, and then towing fees, and then junking fees. I have to finance a new car and put myself into debt for much longer than the four months of 'stability' I have left, leaving me trapped in this place and unable to travel or find a better place to work or live.

I also had the unfortunate experience of finally having to tell my mother about my bisexuality. Despite my impression that she had basically always known and wouldn't care, she was actually very shocked and said she felt awkward and wished she could tell me to just keep it secret and that she wouldn't tell anyone else in the family, but not to worry she would still help me look for a car. I guess it could be worse, but I still felt awful. Additionally, when she called around to my relatives to see if anyone could help, my Catholic rich uncle (my family's Italian, of course I have one of those) started asking about my financial situation and judged that I didn't have a good enough set of jobs and that my mom needed to make me 'get my act together', so I have double-familial-disappointment coming at me, despite making more money than my mother. It gets worse because apparently he is now lording my decision from years ago over me when he offered to help pay for me to get a Master's degree but I had been offered the job with the JET Programme so I wanted to start working in Japan instead almost five years ago.

Yes, Uncle Tony, in hindsight it seems obvious that a record-breaking earthquake would hit Japan and influence my decision to give up that well-paying job and return to the economy-ruined US where I got another amazing job that eventually didn't last long-term either so now I'm stuck in a only-slightly-better-than-entry-level job and have fallen on hard times all because I didn't get a Master's degree in Psychology so I could do... what exactly? I guess a Master's degree and not living in a foreign country would have been beneficial if I had found a steady job five years ago, but it's really no guarantee that I could have found some perfect high-paying dream job that you deem 'appropriate for the family'. It's easy to disapprove, but I notice he offers no suggestions.

Argh. I don't have time for this, I have to find a car and go to work. And somehow find a better job. And a place to live nearby in four months...

« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 07:13:17 PM by DjinnAndTonic »

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: November 19, 2013, 02:13:21 PM »
:(

I'm sorry DJ Djinn *mrffhugs* I hope your mum comes to better terms with that. People shouldn't have to hide, and things. Sorry about all of it, but yeah *moar hugs*
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 02:36:28 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: November 19, 2013, 02:58:50 PM »
My response to your family is middle fingers, specifically for your uncle. That is a shitass thing to do. He can either help or shut up. *Rereads*  No actually, the response from your mother is pretty terrible as well. I recommend more middle fingers.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: November 20, 2013, 01:55:01 AM »
That sucks, DJ. :(

Family favors have a way of biting you in the ass, whether you take them or not. If you take advantage of it, they will lord it over you, take credit for your success, and blame your failure on your inability to execute on their generosity. If you don't take them up on it, you're ungrateful, wasting an opportunity, and any failures you face are 100% because you turned their favor down.

I hope things look up for you soon.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Idun

« Reply #731 on: November 20, 2013, 03:01:24 AM »
Yeah, I sometimes wonder the value in second-guessing decisions from the past. I can't offer much in the direction of advice, but I would certainly say that having run-ins with the family at a time when you really need support can be the most soul-whittling thing. If you need a 'sistah', I'll be around in PM or whatevs. It sounds about time to get out of Florida though (?).

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #732 on: November 20, 2013, 05:32:54 PM »
If anyone has any advice on getting a new car, that would be incredibly beneficial right now. Until I can do that, there's no way to either get a better job of get out Florida.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: November 20, 2013, 07:12:34 PM »
Police auctions can be really good if you have any money to pay for one out of pocket. Do your research on what is a good deal before hand and you can generally get some really good ones. Just bring someone who knows a bit about cars so they can appraise their condition before the auction, but generally I've heard that they're pretty honest in these.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: November 21, 2013, 06:52:31 AM »
I haven't done any boxing training for 2 weeks as I lead into a bunch of PB runs for various lifts.

All life is doing is make me want to do is hit things.

Life.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Idun

« Reply #735 on: November 21, 2013, 05:21:50 PM »
Go back to boxing asap.
Edit* on my end, I flow yoga'd with a very aggressive yogi who decided to work the quads all night: re: I ran three miles out of stress, not having ran in years. I was broken after yoga. 2) I am moving in January into a large, OCD clean (YES!) house with my pets, their pets, and two gay guys. my fantasy is now really happening.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 05:23:49 PM by helvetica »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: November 21, 2013, 09:04:39 PM »
I get to box next week.  Bench is on Saturday so I can kill my shoulders boxing after that.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: November 23, 2013, 10:28:39 AM »
Bench comp done.  Weighed in at 82kg, 8 kilos less than my last comp.  Lifted 95kg, that is 10 kilo increase with 8 kilos lost.  I even got to try at 100kg but failed at that (and nearly killed myself).

Then because it was at the studio that my trainer trains at (rather than where he works), he was staying to do squats afterwards and since he was my lift home I did some light squats there.  Interesting environment and fun as group training always is.

Now I am super fucking tired and there is a killer storm coming and I have no food to cook.  So eggs and protein shake for dinner it is.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: November 23, 2013, 04:23:44 PM »
Hey DJ, hope everything works out for you. I know a man selling an SUV, but I don't know if it would be affordable. Then there's the fact that you would somehow have to come to Tampa to get it, and you are without a car at the moment...so....

~

In other news I have a shiny new Golden 3DS. The 3D can go to hell, I'll likely never turn it on, but it's so prettttttty.

I also have finally gotten over my debilitating ankle injury to the point where I am confident enough to run around and enjoy outside sports again. I was worried for awhile since I opted (was too broke to pay for) to forgo surgery with the hope that the tear in my ankle would heal. It did, somewhat. If I stretch it too far I still have lingering pains down in the joint, but I can fully rotate and plant on it. I had to deal with conditioning, strengthening and regaining some confidence as I worked my way back from this set back.

The fact that I can run on it without it getting sore (to an extent) and no longer swelling up is a blessing. It's still a little bulky compared to my other, less injured ankle, but it's serviceable.

Now begins the hard part; getting back into shape. I am such a fatty right now. I have easily packed on 20 lbs since this freak injury put me on the shelf for a year plus. I am also very lazy too which does not help the process. The fact that I work in a gym should make this easier, no? But I usually (what I am doing atm) just sit behind the desk and browse the internet. time flies and before I can think of a work out plan, it's time for me to leave work. I really should make the most of my time here.

I could work out from Tues through Sat while getting paid which seems like a dream scenario. I do the insanity workout with some members on Wednesday, but that is not enough. If I could just get it programmed to run at least of the rest of those days and lift the other two days I think i could start to see some of the weight begin to melt off. Getting back into a rhythm is always the hardest part.

I blame video games.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #739 on: November 26, 2013, 05:09:44 AM »
With a new used car, comes new car problems. Sigh. I found a pretty awesome 05 honda civic with 160k miles on it for a very low $3500 price tag. Turns out that the catch was a giant oil leak between the head gasket and engine block. Or so the mechanic I took it to says. "You got ripped off, you should take it back". If only that was an option. Sigh.

Currently in car limbo waiting to hear if returning it is an option or if fixing it will be easy enough that it won't cost an arm and a leg.

The worst part is trying to figure out when to get all this stuff done when the drive to the dealer and my trustworthy mechanic is roughly an hour apart. And both are about an hour from my home. Also working the new job. The one my uncle still disapproves of. And I still don't have time to look for another one or put in resumes because I'm constantly working or trying to find a vehicle that's not on fire. Also my savings are gone. Whee.

Fml.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #740 on: November 26, 2013, 08:32:12 PM »
Really you should just tell him that yoru current job is still better for your resume than a graduate degree in Psych.  You could probably get expert testimony to that effect.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: November 26, 2013, 08:43:13 PM »
Graduate degrees in psych are useful, they let you practice. Undergrad psych degrees... haha, no.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #742 on: November 26, 2013, 08:48:25 PM »
Technicality.  I'm not convinced that you'd pull in more income that way.

(More a commentary on being soviet america where it's pills or gtfo in terms of psychological care.  Which of course you need medical degrees to do in addition to pyshcological ones.)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Idun

« Reply #743 on: November 27, 2013, 09:14:23 PM »
I just nabbed a publication space in the major journal in my secondary interest area. I feel excited yet also.. meh, and the feeling doesn't come from academic successes from this last year. I think I'm anxious about two specific research projects that I need to start selling to American art journals by this summer. I felt like sharing this in case anyone else has mixed excitement about publication opportunities and why; the approved publication is a review, which is by far a nonissue. To review programming is pretty dope for the CV.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: November 27, 2013, 10:20:28 PM »
Possibly the creeping feeling after you have been published that this is now your work as well as being something of interest and achievement?

Regardless still congrats.

Idun

« Reply #745 on: November 28, 2013, 01:32:54 AM »
Yeah. I've published before, but now it's even: "this shit is real."

Idun

« Reply #746 on: November 28, 2013, 04:34:52 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving, Turkey Day, Family Day and Hannukah.

Edit* Hanukkah, even.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 04:51:06 PM by helvetica »

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: November 28, 2013, 05:09:07 PM »
Graduate degrees in psych are useful, they let you practice. Undergrad psych degrees... haha, no.
If anyone has questions about what to do with psych degrees, clinical or no, feel free to ask me.

Also, happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: November 28, 2013, 11:56:50 PM »
Was just in the city last night and this morning.

Went in, saw Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark.  It's definitely a production more built on the spectacle of "hey, look at all the cool stuff we did!" more than anything else, for all that the songs weren't bad for the most part, and story was...well...it's basically the first Spider-Man movie re-imagined, with this forced Arachne factor and 6 arbitrary villains for the Sinister Six.  Yes, I know why they're there; the play underwent about a bajillion revisions, and they had the costumes, props, etc., so why waste them?   Fun stuff in any event then.

Then we killed time in Time Square Toys R Us because shut up,n it is big! ...and served as a convenient indoor place for Mandy and myself to meet up with parents (who went to see a different play), as the other option was waiting outside of parents theatre...on a cold, rainy day.  You can see why we went with the Toys R Us option...

After that, mostly went out to dinner with family, hung around in member lounge of big ass hotel, then next morning watched the Macy's Day Parade from my Hotel Room.  We apparently got lucky and had one of two rooms on the floor that actually overlooked the Parade Route, so we could watch it from 37 stories up!  Hey, beats standing out in the cold, and we had binoculars if we needed to something upclose (as well as the TV on so we can have a guide for the "whose that?" to a degree.)  Not much to say here, though our Hotel was right where CBS was shooting so we would see the parade, and then they'd show the part we just saw at the same time...when they weren't using it for times to PLUG IN RANDOM CBS SHOW HERE WATCH WATCH WATCH!!! by not shutting up with an actor and all that.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 11:59:54 PM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: November 29, 2013, 07:42:11 AM »
Unpacked my box with textbooks this afternoon.  The collection of other books in there was probably the most representative intellectual pieces in my collection.

Going Postal: Rage, Murder, and Rebellion: From Reagan's Workplaces to Clinton's Columbine and Beyond by Mark Ames
Ethic by Michel Foucault
The Archaeology of Knowledge by Michel Foucault
On Cosmopolitanism and Forgivenes by Jacques Derrida
The Communist Manifesto

In other news, CD sorting I am nearly out of shelf space that I had previously jammed them into sideways and all over the place.  I have just done M, so half way through the alphabet and looking to run out of space at O.  Need to source more shelving.