Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing 2013?  (Read 182704 times)

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing 2013?
« Reply #225 on: January 25, 2013, 02:56:09 AM »
RS3: What do you mean I can't suplex Gwayne?

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 25, 2013, 02:57:21 AM »
Some enemies have that tag! Like dragons! Some others don't, but throws have accuracy issues anyway.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 25, 2013, 03:05:32 AM »
Incidentally, is there anything at the bottom of the Ancient Cave worth caring about? That's about all there is left to do other than endgame (well, and Yami. Fuck Yami.) I went in and tooled around for a while until I ran out of resources, place did not seem in a great hurry to end.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 25, 2013, 03:12:46 AM »
Ni no Kuni:

Pretty game. Pleasant OST. An earlygame bird killed me because I was overconfident from playing the demo.

Got to just where the demo would leave off. It's too early to comment, but the system DOES look promising. You fight ARPG style with fast-casting spells. You can send out monsters to fight in your stead who have their own Atk/Def/MAtk/MDef/Acc/Eva, but they share your HP/MP. It feels vaguely like an ARPG Pokemon. Good so far but we'll see how it's executed...

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 25, 2013, 03:16:39 AM »
Playstation All Stars Battle Royale: So...I beat the game with every character.  THOUGHTS ON THE OTHER HALF OF THE CAST!!!

Ratchet and Klank:  Did I talk about him yet?  I seriously can't remember.  Whatever, he's essentially a combination of Fox and Rocket Raccoon.  Also gets a theme song when he uses his level 1 which is pretty good.

Jak and Daxter:  A far more gimmicky and less intuitive version of the above, as well as weird supers.  I don't think they're necessarily worse, just R&K are way more straight forward and user friendly than J&D, I feel.

Big Daddy: He's about what you expect out of a bruiser.  Level 1 is awkward, great level 2 though, and seems to build up fast.  STill has all the typical Bowser-problems, in a game where being Heavy doesn't help as much because kill condition doesn't really care.

Dante: Weird one.  They captured the DmC Free Flow combos thing well, and if you're good at that, you can work him pretty well, if you can't, you'll suck with him.  This is similar to his MvC3 self really.  That said, one major flaw he has is that he's a huge liability in an FFA, because those long combos only work on one enemy for the most part, leading to opponents gimping you, seems like he's amazing in 1v1 or Teams 2v2 though.

Heihachi:  MANLINESS ABOUND!  Level 3 is worthless but the earlier Supers are good, so I guess he's fine.  He's...a well converted character from Tekken to Smash-like game, so really nothing to complain about, similar to Dante being well converted from his series.

Nariko:  Feels like some weird cross between Dante, Kratos, and Heihachi with a less versatile version of Nathan Drake's awkward level 1.  I can see why people say she's not really good.  BUT SHE HAS AN ABSURD LEVEL 3 THAT CAN KILL 9 TIMES ON THE DOJO LEVEL!!! ...because DOJO IS ONE STAGE AND NOT MEANT TO BE THE ONLY PLAYED, so that argument is ludicrous. 

Raiden: Holy mother of what the hell is OVERPOWERED GEEZ.  Unlike Kratos, though, he's not overpowered because "one move spam lol" there by promoting poor play tactics, it's more he has an answer to everything, and it's all kind of straight forward, with easy hit confirms into a level 1.  There was bound to be a character like this in the cast...there always is...and he might not be overpowered in higher level play where things equalize out a bit, so it's possible he's just the UMvC3 Wesker of this game, but still...damn does he stand out as really good.

Sackboy: ...extremely weird character...then again IT'S SACKBOY.  He seems to be actually pretty good at most things...except AP building.  Getting a kill with him is a pain for this reason, just because building up to level 1 feels like a chore.  I figured out a few a combos with him at least that helped a bit.

Sir Daniel Fortesque: I've seen people hype him as the worst character in the game, or at least running for it.  Honestly...I can see why.  He's got ok AP gains, but that level 1 is just kind of unforgivably bad; this game has a lot of small characters that it will flat out miss against, and it'll only hit normal sized opponents if he's at point blank, so really it's just going to hit Big Daddy at range.  Plus it's not that fast or anything.  His level 2 looks alright, but merely "alright" doesn't make up for a shoddy level 1 when a  number of characters have really good level 2's, and his level 3 is just weird and takes too long to kill things...yeah, not a very well designed character at all.

Zack: More straight forward than I was expecting, and kind of fun.  The only problem is cinematic level 3 meaning it's kind of useless unless you need unavoidable damage.  His level 2 was awkward, though more in how it killed than the actual move itself; instead of enemies dying on the spot, they'd actually freeze for a second, be stunned, THEN die.  Why they do this, I dunno; I'm guessing it's some reference to an Ape Escape move.

Toro: Why is the guy with multiple styles the game's shoto?  And why does his Shoto-style moveset NOT the Ryu outfit he comes with?  I don't think it's best I question him, since I don't think Toro actually comes from a game at all (unless SFxT counts!), and is only in because "Playstation Mascot in Japan" or something (which, don't get me wrong, is totally acceptable as a reason for him to be in, and hell, his story actually plays to this factor, so it's self aware in this regard), so they were probably just throwing stuff together for a unique moveset on OMG CUTE KITTY!!! or something. 

So overall, the cast is diverse and most are fun to play as, pity about the fact that the cast isn't exactly a bunch of characters people care about though...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 25, 2013, 03:20:16 AM »
Ciddy: Ancient Cave nets you the only Death Fragment in the game so you can make either a Death Bow or a Death Ring, but those make you undead - i.e. no healing for you. You can also fight Asuras (strongest enemy in the game, highest spark level) there. Did you fart around the Dead Sea? It has a nifty axe that you need to learn the strongest axe tech and the best bangle in the game.

Also, how are your techs looking like? For Katrina, you probably want Nature Dance (SaGa Frontier's Tres Flores), which you spark from Reverse Wind, which is sparked from Sweep Draw. Greatsword techs hit a rut if you don't know the spark chains you need for its strongest stuff (I imagine you're probably stuck with Bull Crush right now? Yeah). Fortunately, Tres Flores' spark level is relatively low. The other strongest tech for them, Harvest Moon, you get from Earth Run, but it's pretty much on par with Tres Flores for damage for only slightly less WP and it's a nightmare to learn.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 03:22:42 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 25, 2013, 05:23:51 AM »
For Katrina, you probably want Nature Dance (SaGa Frontier's Tres Flores)

Tres Flores is only 1/3 of it. I still don't understand why they break that move up..... and still doing in MS....

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 25, 2013, 07:32:55 AM »
Thanks for making me incredibly disappointed Pyro.  About to have a Long weekend and finding out that Ni No Kuni isn't out down here yet.  Fuuuuuuuuuuuuu.   I guess I will actually have to finish P4.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 25, 2013, 08:00:26 AM »
The Unfinished Swan- A bunch of games are half off on PSN this week, was interested in this game so I downloaded the demo. Loved it, grabbed the game. Fantastic so far. Very artsy fartsy, but so very well done. Seems to be a puzzle game, but the first chapter is all about exploration. To start off the game, the entire world is white canvas and you have to find your way through it by uncovering the path using paint splotches to add depth and definition to the world. Eventually, the world added shadows, and it seems color is around the corner. It has a very simple, storybook structure to its story and world, so it's just plain simple fun. Recommend checking out the demo to anyone who has PSN.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 25, 2013, 12:14:36 PM »
I didn't really see you as the Ni No Kuni type Grefter.

Leonid rocks. The party is all "omgomg we're going to die" and he's all "meh, I already have human sacrifices regularly, I don't need to drink that much. Kthnxbye. End of this plot line."
By the way the ending show him getting a human sacrifice. I still don't get why the "trapped sacrifice" sidequest was centered around... a genius rat... and not this guy. The rat can't even talk.

Anyway. Tiger Break. Broken.
Let's see what it does vs Forneus. (Warning, final boss spoilers in this post)

YES

Arakes is still one dimensional; huge damage but weak status and weak magical damage = Dead meat if you stack as much pdef as possible

Destroyer is VERY easy at first, with only one 4HKOing attack per round, at most.

Then she turns on total eclipse of the heart mode

Crap

All in all though, her status is rather lackluster and her physical attacks are rare and can be avoided most of the time with a shield/Illusion Sun. So Yattaf stacks mdef: Gold Dragon Armor, Feather Boots, E. Martial, Dream Gem.
Very close, but after an intense and grueling battle (and five tries), Yattaf wins.

And she gets quite possibly the lamest personal ending possible

"- Yattaf: No"

"Throw this filth, it only does like 3000 damage"

Yattaf relives the Titanic movie.
She's the iceberg.

Yattaf's team? The heroes? Who the hell wrote this?
... Oh right, the Minstrel. I hate this guy.

Apparently this is the final team. Why are Young Boy and Sara here again?
Let's compare stats.

"lol"

Maybe there's some deep metaphor here, or maybe only cool Snes graphics

Z for... Robin.

"And now, look at monsters that might not even be in the game!!"

Rad

Fun challenge, only tolerable with frameskip (and some savestate abuse to learn Tiger Break later on, I admit), but fun.
It would probably have been overall way easier with Mikhail, but then I'd never have been prepared for the endgame.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 12:19:47 PM by Fenrir »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 25, 2013, 12:38:56 PM »
Next, Sara solo, of course.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 25, 2013, 04:19:07 PM »
DmC: Ok, time to stop being lazy and finally post this up.  Yes, that's the only reason I haven't...I was lazy...

Let's get this out of the way:  The game is decent.  It's not amazing or ground breaking or anything, but frankly, I think it succeeds exactly at what it set out to be.  The game maintains DMC level gameplay to some degree, but streamlines it a bit to try and let newer players catch on.  Given it's a reboot, and all that, it makes sense to take this angle.  It doesn't completely butcher the gameplay like some claim, but there's definitely less depth due to lack of styles, and individual weapons aren't as varied as DMC3/4's are, though made up for a bit by how you have access to all 5 Devils Arms and all 3 Guns at all given times, as well as the Angel Life/Demon Pull option being something that Dante never really had comparable (Nero's Buster is the closest thing)

So lets get one of the more controversial things out of the way: The fact that it's a reboot.

Honestly, the Amazing Spider-man Parallels are a little too perfect here.  You have to go in with a mindset of "this is a different take on the concept."  As such, don't compare it directly to previous iterations, at least in terms of aesthetics, plot, etc.  Gameplay...I'll get to that later, touched upon it a little already.

Dante's new look is...well, he's not intolerable to look at like he was in the first trailer (emo twilight rip off Dante, IOWs), but still not convinced it's a change for the better relative to the white haired bishie he use to be.  I think the White Wig nod was a little overdoing it too, as it's completely out of nowhere and easily viewed as a slap in the face (especially with the "Not in a million years" line.  HIm simply taking the wig off would have gotten the point across without feeling like "SCREW YOU OLD FANS!")  His personality is some cross between Nero and DMC3 Dante.  Immature Punk whose more about having fun than taking things seriously.  He does swear way too much though, something I feel that needs toning down (actually, they went overboard on the swearing in this game, but I'll hopefully touch upon that later.)  One thing he does have on Classic!Dante though is actual development and a legitimate character arc.  DMC3 is the only time we see Dante actually go through any sort of development, and it feels kind of rushed there.  To illustrate:

Beginning: My Brother Vergil wants me? Ok, I'll play his game!
Vergil fight #1: Father? I don't have a father! I just don't like you! </actual line of dialog>
Vergil fight #2: Hey, dad's plan was smart...but now to get back at you, brother, for stabbing me in the chest!
Lady Fight: Thanks to you, I know what's important!
Vergil Fight #3: WE ARE THE SONS OF SPARDA! IT IS MY DUTY TO STOP YOU EVEN IF MEANS KILLING YOU!

Yes, that's development but none of it really makes SENSE because Dante doesn't actually go through any sort of events that would make him get from beginning to end, just kind of goes "ok, we need Dante to act differently, press the Character Development Button."

DmC, his progression feels actually natural.  He starts off not giving a shit about anything, just likes booze, sleeping with women, and busting demons heads.  Then he meets Kat, who drags his ass to Vergil, despite him wantnig otherwise.  Note that Dante is a little emo here with the "I didn't ask for your help!" claims and all that, and being all "I'm a loner, I work alone!" when he meets Vergil.  Then he learns of his past, and gets insight on who he is and the truth of his amnesia, etc.  Now suddenly he has a reason to care about doing things; the parents he had forgotten about and childhood memories with them have come back, he's reunited with his twin brother, etc. 
From here, it's a case of getting an insight and interacting with Vergil and Kat that we get a better sense of "Working with others isn't so bad, actually having friends is cool!"  By the end of the game, there's definitely a sense of him being a potentially likable, grown up hero. 

So I guess what I'm saying is New!Dante is an OK character.  Definite room for improvement, and not as fun as the original, but at least they gave him a legitimate character arc and development, and could easily be a cool character if they make a sequel to this game.

Kat...isn't that good.  She shows promise at first, but then basically becomes mostly just a female lead for purpose of being a female lead.  They let her at least do useful stuff with her medium powers, and all that, but then she gets kidnapped, requires saving, blah blah blah...yeah, she's not as good as Trish or Lady, the badass girls who could somehow keep up with Dante in a fight.  Better than Lucia because Kat has a personality, and better than Kyrie because Kat at least does things other than being Princess Peach.

Vergil, now, I find the most intriguing, mostly because he's literally the COMPLETE OPPOSITE OF HIS DMC3 SELF.  DMC3, he's a major douche with a sense of honor.  Here, Vergil's some awkward heroic figure with no honor whatsoever.  The fact that Vergil was really in it to take control of humanity because he thinks they are weak and need a strong ruler to insure their survival doesn't really shock me.  He showed signs of having little respect for humans before, and seemed clearly just in it to kill Mundus whose a scumbag.  Killing Mundus' child further showed just how far he will go for his motives.  At the same time, it's easy to see how Dante and Kat wouldn't pick up on it.  I think the one thing this game got right in terms of actual writing is the interaction between Dante and Vergil.  The two do have some amusing moments of brotherly conversations.  Heck, I got a little chuckle out of this sequence:

Vergil: Wait, Dante, let me go in first.
Dante: Why? I'm stronger than you!
Vergil: Yeah, well I'm smarter than you!
Dante: I'm better looking!
Vergil: ...really?  Well ok then, we'll go together then...and I have a bigger dick.

A little juvenile? Sure, but it was still garnered a bit of a chuckle.  Also, while Dante's design I feel is a downgrade, I actually like Vergil's new design a fair amount.   It's a good job of changing the design, while still using elements of the old to not feel totally alien.  White Haired (or at least pale blonde), black trench-coat with obvious blue designs on it, etc.  Looks quite good if you ask me.  Also, he wears a fedora from time to time, how can you argue!?

Mundus...is one of the better villains in the series, actually.  Oh sure, he's not DMC3 Jester whose...well, Jester, but they did more with him here than just "demon king, DEAL WITH IT!"   He worked at his role, and they gave him actual scenes too, despite his practically never interacting with the heroes until the end.  Not deep or anything, but at least he's more than just a statue who created a clone of Dante's mother of which to screw with his mind, and said clone ended up betraying him so Dante could fill her DARK SOUL WITH LIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!!!

Lillith...umm...er...I get that she's a demon but my god was she just ungodly ugly to look at.  She's like a 65 year old woman trying to look like a super model.  Beyond that, she's just Mundus' female henchman/lover.

Bob Barbas...just doing Gods work!  For those who don't know, he's basically the demon version of Bill O'reilly.  Do I really need to say anything else?

Succubus...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPdEzyKtgas

That is all.

SINCE WE'RE DONE WITH THE CAST, ONTO THE PLOT!

Let's make one thing clear: This game's plot IS an upgrade from the previous series.  This is a good deal because DMC games have never been good on plot.  DMC1 has barely any plot scenes until like the last 20 minutes of the game (though has the best scene in the series arguably...you know the one!), DMC2 doesn't understand basic story structure at all, and DMC3 was clearly Style >>>>> Substance, just kind of having serious plot intermingled because it's sort of a requirement.  DMC4 tried at serious plot, and ended up just being "DASHING KNIGHT TRYING TO SAVE THE NOT!PRINCESS FROM THE EVIL GUY!"  it did give us a DEMONIC POPE though, as well as this scene though!

This game had several things on it that the others games didn't have.  First off, full flexibility; so long as there are demons, and Dante/Vergil are half demons, they could do what they wanted.  They just tried to actually DO SOMETHING with it, and as I said, the characters have legitimate character arcs, backstory, etc.  I wouldn't say the plot is good, just better than the rest of the series, so...uhh...minor success <_<? 

Though, one thing this game does well with is setting.  The Limbo idea was just really neat and pulled off nicely, and has all the right visuals to compliment it (having a game where the world itself tries to kill you comes to mind.)  Yes, they took Bayonetta's idea of Purgatory, but tehy basically amped it up to be something other than just "dimension that exists between all dimensions, where Bayonetta can fight Angels without noticing her."  Still has that concept, only the entire world of limbo is out to get him.  Mundus' "control the world through subtle means" was actually well handled.  They actually legitimately explained how each thing he controls plays a purpose in his scheme, rather than just saying "conspiracy, deal with it!"  Oh, and I have to make this clear:

DmC handles it in a way that does NOT make it sound like it's trying to be a conspiracy.  Comes off as more of a fun "Hey, what if all these things were controlled by demons?" and goes from there.  It's not saying these are evil...actually, having seen the developers reasonings, it was "modern people view THESE as evils of reality, as opposed to the old classic definition of Fire and Brimstone Demons, so we decided to merge the two and see what happened."

That said, ONTO GAMEPLAY!  Mook Combat is quite good, for the most part.  Yes, it has the OMG WEAK POINT ENEMIES! and ENEMIES CAN ONLY BE HURT BY CERTAIN WEAPONS but people blow these out of proportion.  God forbid the game encourages you to keep swapping up your approaches, and makes you fight each enemy differently.  It isn't like the other games ever did this...

*looks at Shadows*
*looks at Death Scythes*
*looks at Frosts*
*looks at Plasmas*

...OH WAIT THEY'VE BEEN DOING THIS SINCE DMC1.  Yeah, see, that's kind of what's going on with this game; the other DMC games had this stuff but were a little more subtle about it.  Not saying it's worse that they're more obvious, just that because it's more obvious, whiners use it to snipe at something.  If you don't like the idea, that's cool, opinions, but for the love of shit, HOLD IT AGAINST THE OTHER GAMES TOO.  They did this as well, except DMC2, and it only didn't do that because DMC2 has a total lack of variety in combat to actually be exploited.  And there aren't even that many enemies who function like this.  Maybe on higher difficulties, they over abuse this, but it didn't feel abused here.

The game does have some flaws in combat, the big one being Auto Lock On.  Now, I don't mind this too much, as I can get use to it, but what I do mind is lack of manual targeting, and no target prompt like other games had.  In DMC2/3/4 you could change your target with the R3 button, which was handy.  Here, you're at mercy of the game; it's rarely a deal breaker mind, but still a legitimate flaw that should have been programmed around.  Again, I understand having auto-lock on in general, but a manual target switch should have been implemented.  Also no health gauges, something we haven't seen since DMC1 (DMC2, of all things, did this best by having a simple health bar.  DMC3/4 had Health Gauges but in a more subtle way) but whatever, Tyrants and Butchers aside, enemies never felt TOO durable that a health gauge felt necessary, and it's a bigger deal when bosses don't have it...

Which, thankfully, they do.  Speaking of which, bosses in this game are...all over the place.  I might as well go through each one:

Hunter: Tutorial style boss.  DMC4 did this with Dante, they did this here; don't mind this since it's Mission 1 and an attempt to get you use to the game, so whatever.

Succubus: A neat concept but a bit repetitive.  I like the usage of grappling to get around the field and evade her, but I feel they could have made the fight a little more dynamic as well, rather than being a little too much "hit it until it dies."

Bob Barbas: Ok, THIS is how you do an original fight.  Stylish, uniquely done and a dynamic fight.

Mundus' Spawn: ...feels like a Ninja Gaiden reject.  too animated for it's own good so you can't tell what's going to be an attack and what's merely walking, weak points tend to be traps, etc.  I eventually beat it when I found an exploit with charged shot gun shots.

Mundus: ...did they just...reuse Succubus' fight and make it LESS INTERESTING?  Seriously, his moves are more telegraphed, he has less attacks, Guns actually do damage to him (Poison, you'll auto target with guns to a bullet immune spot, which given Sit Back and Shoot would be an Auto Win against her, I have no problems with, so they did work around DMC2 syndrom there)...yeah, I feel like they used up all their creativity on his boss design here, which is, I'll admit, quite good.

Final Boss: Pretty much shoe-horned in because they needed a fight like this, but honestly I can't complain because it's a great way to end the game, gameplay wise.  One complaint is how you need to finish with a DT hit and there's little hints to this, but that wasn't too bad...

Speaking of DT, mixed feelings about it.  On one hand, it's effective at what it does.  Regen is notice-able, slows down time obviously has uses, damage and defense make a notable upgrade, and best part is that any enemy defensive gimmicks (bosses not withstanding) go completely wayside, so it's really an effective Trump Card.
Downside is that it takes a while to build up (though, I hear White Orbs, normally used for upgrades, become DT building after you get them all, so that might help some), and barely lasts anytime and a little too easy to DT out of and blow gauge as a result.  Also, it launches enemies a little TOO high though this might be my fault for not trying Angel Lift to catch up to them.

Speaking of Angel Lift, and Demon Pull, PLATFORMING!  It's...actually not bad in this game.  They punted the Artifacts and Puzzles of previous games in favor of streamlined platforming.  Due to this, Missions are more like Stages than missions, so every level is uniquely designed and actually new, and there isn't much in the way of backtracking at all, which is a series standards.  Penalty for failing platforming is merely some loss of health, just like Bayonetta, though it's potentially lethal, unlike Bayonetta, don't mind this though as it's forgiving enough, as opposed to stuff like God of War where a slight mistep = YOU DIE! WOULD YOU LIKE TO LOWER THE DIFFICULTY LEVEL!? even though your constant deaths had nothing to do with combat -_-

The weapon variety is nice, though individual weapons are, again, not as varied as in previous iterations.  Rebellion is Rebellion, it's about what you'd expect.  Eryx is the DMC fist weapon, it's about what you expect.  Osiris is a good crowd control variation of Rebellion; straight forward moves but hit a wide area for little damage.  Aquilla is hilariously fun to mess around with and decimates groups and probably the most practical use of Round Trip the series has to offer, partially because you can actually use it to lock down one enemy while still use your melee weapons on the others.  Arbiter is a good guard break weapon that hits hard, and has an actual ranged attack unlike Eryx.

Guns...E&I are pure lock down, plain and simple, don't do much on damage,  ricochet shot is cool conceptually, but not useful.   Shotgun is amazing at blasting enemies back, and the charged shot is really good at holding enemies off (it's basically a Brawl Sticky Bomb), and Fireworks is the best it's ever been, being legitimately useful "GET OFF ME!"  move instead of only kind of sort so.  Kablooey is...a weird way to handle the token explosive weapon though given the SHotgun's charged shot, guess it had to be to avoid redundancy.  Kablooey works that you implant the guy with a dart (up to 6 when fully upgraded), then you choose to detonate them whenever you want.  So basically, shoot an enemy, bait them into a group, detonate, watch fireworks!  Also can blow up Tyrants armors and stun them.  Cute weapon with gimmick uses, I approve.

As far as Demon/Angel Dodges go...eh, indifferent to them.  Game never asks you to rely on them too much, so I can't hate it for that, but the timing on Demon Dodge is a little too sensitive, and you can end up dodging into an attack anyway, so kind of annoying there.  Angel Dodge just felt like a watered down Trickster.

So overall, this game is decent.  Don't go into it expecting typical DMC style, nor an evolution of the gameplay.  It is what it is.  It's fun enough and frankly, I would like to see an actual sequel that takes this games ideas, and enhances them, as well as actually makes good on Dante's development of this game.  It's not as good as DMC1/3/4, but leagues ahead of DMC2, as it actually plays like a DMC game and doesn't feel lazily made.  The target audience of this game is, as I said, more people who haven't been into the series all this time, but it tried to keep some elements in tact to not alienate the fans entirely.  personally, I think it does a good job overall, if there are obvious areas of improvement.  Call it a 7/10 game, and frankly, I wouldn't fault someone for saying they like this more than the others, because there are legitimate things this game does have over the other games, and some stylistic choices that could easily be in someone else's favor (as opposed to DMC2 where saying you like it more is pretty clearly trolling.)

Oh, and one last thing:
Game does a good job of at least paying homage to the original series.  The White Hair thing was the only case where the game felt like it was twisting a knife per se (exaggeration, etc.)  The rest of it felt like "Fans of the series will get this!" style nods, like Sparda's Mansion looks a lot like the castle in DMC1, or the fact that ALL of the Achievements are named after lines  in the previous games.   If you're curious...

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/dmc-devil-may-cry/achievements/

Looking forward to Vergil's Downfall DLC, as well as the DMC3 Costume to be released on Tuesday.  Also, while I want to see a sequel of this, I do hope they still continue the main series, in particular I'd like to see DMC5 be about Nero so we can actually learn a damned thing about him.

I feel like I'm missing stuff but whatever, this should give you a good idea!

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 25, 2013, 04:58:17 PM »
Pyro doesn't mention the biggest part of Ni No Kuni: the puns.  Oh man the puns-per-minute is far greater than any game I've played, and yes I did play Rocket Slime.

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 25, 2013, 05:06:37 PM »
Okay okay I'll download the demo.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 25, 2013, 05:13:23 PM »
<Shale> I'm Sage's long-lost soul brother. :)

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: January 25, 2013, 06:24:04 PM »
:( never playing/10
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 25, 2013, 09:24:51 PM »
Ciddy: Ancient Cave nets you the only Death Fragment in the game so you can make either a Death Bow or a Death Ring, but those make you undead - i.e. no healing for you. You can also fight Asuras (strongest enemy in the game, highest spark level) there. Did you fart around the Dead Sea? It has a nifty axe that you need to learn the strongest axe tech and the best bangle in the game.

Also, how are your techs looking like? For Katrina, you probably want Nature Dance (SaGa Frontier's Tres Flores), which you spark from Reverse Wind, which is sparked from Sweep Draw. Greatsword techs hit a rut if you don't know the spark chains you need for its strongest stuff (I imagine you're probably stuck with Bull Crush right now? Yeah). Fortunately, Tres Flores' spark level is relatively low. The other strongest tech for them, Harvest Moon, you get from Earth Run, but it's pretty much on par with Tres Flores for damage for only slightly less WP and it's a nightmare to learn.

Dead Sea what. I think this is one of those places I must have locked myself out of (along with Aurora and Crystal Ruins, apparently). Anyway:

-The only sword type I really use is regular swords. Katrina mostly relies on Satsuki Rain for bosses. It is good, but only 2/3 as good as a fairy spamming Triple Thrust (the fairy is terrifying, last person I recruited and he/she/it wasted no time overtaking everyone in weapon levels).
-For spears I have Great Wheel/Double Dragon/Triple Thrust and I can't imagine needing anything more.
-Axes have lagged pretty badly. Best thing I have is Axle Turn/Blade Roll? Yeah. I suspect I've missed a bunch of good stuff by ignoring early techs that looked unremarkable but are needed to spark new ones.
-Bows seem pretty meh and with Sara gone the only one trained in them is the fairy, who doesn't need them because spears.
-Niagara Break is the best MA tech I have. It does solid damage but unfortunately fails on things the game thinks would just be too cool to suplex.

Otherwise, Undine zaps people/uses sun magic for heals. Considering training Muse as backup healer, since judging by the chart in Djinn's BMG I should've made her a mage in the first place. Probably better to just recruit someone new who will actually have existing ranks in magic in the first place, but I'm not real inclined to toss out someone who has over 100 WP and a pile of spear levels. Sucks to lose the tech crown, though.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 25, 2013, 10:19:46 PM »
Actually, not Dead Sea, Rotten Sea. Just talk to all the elephants in Rashkuta, one of them will tell you about it and you'll be able to find it on the area full of water not far from Rashkuta (about a screen away) on the world map. Also, you can't really lock yourself out of Crystal Ruins unless you're already in Huang Castle.

- For Katrina, if you made normal sword her type, keeping it that way is fine (otherwise, you might want branch back to the bigass ones and learn the stuff for endgame). If you haven't learned Split Body and are over 30 for Slash levels, though, you shouldn't be far from getting it, and it gets completely nuts. You'll get it just by using normal attacks. Golden Dragon, which is also endgame-level, also comes from the normal attack.
- Spears, only thing left for you is Meteor Thrust, and Triple Thrust itself is pretty much endgame-worthy as is. Meteor Thrust is very late too.
- Axes... well, they require specific weapons -and- techs. Yo-yo is roughly the best you'll get, and you have to use Tomahawk with the Francisca in order to learn it. Worth the trouble, though. Other endgame skills like Sky Dive are also learned from Tomahawk.
- Bows... once again, requiring specific techs to learn its really good stuff. Continuous Shot is amazing, but you only learn it from Quick Arrow. Million Dollars is also game-best MT bar none, but it's very hard to learn and requires spamming Random Arrow.
- For MA, Dragon Inferno is very good, but fairly late - on the other hand, you get it just from the basic punch. Eventually, you can get it.

EDIT:

RS3 - It's Friday night and I have nothing to do, so naturally I'm dating pigeons doing math. Currently setting up calcs for the stat topic, started doing Weapon Levels and HP. And mathematics are totally playing games, FFT and FE said so.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 10:36:13 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 25, 2013, 11:02:29 PM »
I am on board for Ni No Kuni because Studio Ghibli holds a special place for me.  Not because I consider their stuff the best anime ever (not Satoshi Kon, not best ever), but the art is appealing and the movies are always something I can watch with my mother.  I love sharing cinematic experience with mum.

Part of me was hoping it would be something she might enjoy.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 26, 2013, 01:32:46 PM »
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn: Playing through this on hard mode up to the mission in the swamp with Michaiah. It turns out that for some reason I am better at Fire Emblem when I am drunk. It took some time to get used to some of the differences from normal but I've been doing pretty well on the last few maps. It helps that the Dawn Brigade scales up faster than the enemies. So far my streak of good Michaiah's has continued. She's got great speed and her defense is surprisingly high as well. She got a perfect level up early on and then got a level up with everything but strength a bit later.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 27, 2013, 03:34:00 AM »
Knytt Underground:  Finished the main plot and 100% on the main map and item collection.  Excellent, excellent, excellent game.  The first two chapters (which are really just extended tutorials) drag but then Chapter 3 (the actual game) makes up for it.  Explored quite a few secrets and yet I only have like five achievements out of twenty or thirty.  A wonderful experience that keeps on giving.  Easily the best game I've played in, oh the last year or more.  Posting here to hype it.

Mad Father:  Also finished.  The latest entry in the genre of translated Japanese RPGmaker-ish indie horrors.  You play the usual little girl stuck in a mansion full of ghosts and zombies.  Your eccentric father's been up to one too many nefarious experiments, and now all his mangled victims have risen to clamor for revenge, oh and killing everyone else in the house too.  The twist here is that you already know what daddy does in the basement, and, well, you're family, so you love him regardless, and will save him from the monsters!  With your chainsaw!  Yeah.

Good atmosphere.  Reasonably entertaining story.  Good solid gameplay, although puzzles can be frustrating sometimes.  Pretty decent.  Still not as good as Ib, but around The Witch's House.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 27, 2013, 10:14:41 PM »
RS 3 Hack - I blame everyone in this thread discussing RS3 making me want to boot up this again.

Cleared all early game quest up to Muse's Dream.
Choose Sara as my main, as I need someone with low HP growth but I don't want to use Monica.
The enemies in the Robin's event got a boost due to involving Bokhon from RS2, the end result is that I blink a quite few  med game tech when I am just in the early game.

Current team is Sara, Grey, Red, Gustaf, Asellus.

Asellus will be a temporary leave as her quest demand. I am wondering should I use Volcano or Ruby to fill that spot.
Hm? The Kinshintou quest requires only the katana, not Grey himself in this patch? Good, I can throw him out too. That spot is now reserved for Gerald.

Current set up as follow:

Sara: Gun+Wind. Triple Shot is good enough to carry her over the med game, and sleep is oddly useful thus far.
Grey: Katana+Water. Has Dragon Tail for damage, and tagged water magic on him as temporary healer.
Red: Martial Art+Rod, All of Alkaiser's tech is martial art based so there goes that. And since Red starts with Rod/Axe levels, I toss the Rod to him. AOE is good, and I need someone to learn the debuff move too.
Gustaf: Great Sword+Sword+Fire, Fire Brand can use both great sword and sword move yeah. And his Str and Mag are both high so he does well on damage in both front. I'll try to blink Fire Whip using the dream demon. Better if I can blink Hell Fire or Holy Song.
Asellus: Dagger+Rapier+Martial Art+Fire, is going to be my final team member. Will be building her as a pure physical fighter by mystic absorb Dantarg's Grand Cross. Which well be boosting her DEX and SPD to obscene level. Which makes her a monster in using a lot of weapon. Then tag fire magic on her so she can do some buffing on the side.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 27, 2013, 10:55:06 PM »
FE12: Just beat Chap 4!  Congrats, Arran, you are now completely useless since Sirius can do anything you can do but better.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 28, 2013, 03:04:31 AM »
Path of Exiles:  started.  Playing as a Templar, focusing on elemental damage so far.  Currently level 8.

Theatrhythm:  Remember how I said my kid was good at this game?  He's now getting SSS ranks on Ultimate.

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 28, 2013, 04:23:48 AM »
2nd OG: stage 44 gets the "toughest skill point in the game thus far" award. Took equal parts planning, luck and save-scumming, plus the awesomeness of the secret Masoukishin attacks. Also, o_O at the plot twist re: Granzon. to wit, the Guests helped build Granzon as part of a deal with Earth's military to hand over control of the planet before the Balmar could arrive and take over, but Brian and the OG heroes interrupted. That was the Antarctica incident in the first game. Anyway, when they designed Granzon, the Guests built in a "singularity," which warps probability around itself. So the constant interdimensional alien monster attacks? Yeah, all Granzon's fault, ever since OG1. And now Shu blew it up, which may or may not actually have consequences. Also, ten to one this was all Euzeth's idea.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.