Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing 2013?  (Read 186525 times)

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing 2013?
« Reply #2400 on: November 11, 2013, 10:38:02 PM »
Cult of the New is the only way to live.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: November 11, 2013, 11:57:38 PM »
Arkham Origins: Oh right, I finished this. It is good but it is no Arkham City. There's a few things holding it back here. Arguably some stuff is neater mechanically, but as an overall experience it leaves less of an impression. The last boss is a predator battle, for example? Which is a novel thing for the series and therefore neat. It was aptly compared by my brother to the Mr. Freeze fight in Arkham City, albeit, "More tense but less memorable." I would extend that description to the boss fights in general here. They probably do a better job of engaging you in the core combat of the system (something Arkham Asylum barely even tried to do, and which Arkham City still struggled a little with) at the general cost of style points.

Creatively the development team is just a couple notches below Rocksteady. There's no encounter with the flair of AA Scarecrow sequences, no exploration as engaging as spelunking through forgotten Victorian Gotham or scaling externally Wonder Tower in AC. Still a fun thing to play if you like the core gameplay of its predecessors, just lacks some of their flair. Various plaudits and unfortunate disclaimers:

-Series continues to do a good job of exploiting even the most obscure corners of the extensive Batman rogues' gallery.

-Batman is still irrevocably tuned in to KMOOK, but at least this time there's no bitch bitch bitch (not literally; only figuratively).

-As far as plot twists go, I was somehow more impressed by AC's it WASN'T the Joker all along than by AO's it WAS the Joker all along! I'd never deny he's an effective villain, and Not!Hamill puts in a creditable effort (the recognition of Batman as "Finally, someone as crazy as I am," is pretty great), but does he have to steal the show every time? I will grant that the Jokervision sequence was stellar, though. It's very easy to believe that his brain genuinely does visually perceive Batman as a ghastly bat-demon.

-Beating the crap out of the Joker to the Carol of the Bells is pretty fantastic.

-It's a little buggy. I encountered some awful lag in a couple cutscenes, occasional loading issues, one time genuinely had to restart it when it just locked up, and once after I fell in a pit the game reset an elevator which effectively forced me to exit the entire zone to get it in the proper position again. On a meta level it amuses me that a rendition of Batman's earlier adventures, when he still didn't trust anyone and made some simple mistakes, is accordingly less polished itself, although I am sure this was not deliberate.

~

Disgaea D2: Oh right, I played this too. I was in the market for something colorful and silly after the gloom of the Batmans. It is more Disgaea. You know what you're getting into by this point. Game weirdly pretends neither of Disgaea 1's endings really happened. Flonne is alive and not a flower, but Laharl is not a prinny. No mention of this discrepancy is ever made. Whatever dudes, we've got grinding to do.

So guys the antagonist in this N1 game is an emo wanker. We're all very shocked, right? He's also a cheap piece of shit chained onto another battle, and I'm glad I was already overlevelled by the time I got there (I still died once; too zonked the first attempt to check beforehand and notice he had eight movement paired with six-range AOE techs. Whoops!)

Aftergame stuff looms, I dunno how much of it I'll bother with. At the very least I will probably hit up the Disgaea 4 mission just so I can spend some time hanging out with a superior cast.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2402 on: November 12, 2013, 09:39:30 AM »
AC4- I really enjoy this game. After the AC3 story of moving between large set pieces and chasing the narrative, AC4's story is a big improvement that focuses less on historical events, which AC3 went overboard with, and more having a story that emphasizes the main character's freewheeling and individualist nature, and in turn, encourages you to do the shitload of extra stuff, like hunting the rare white jaguar or diving to shipwrecks for treasure.

Also you get a pirate ship and a pretty swag outfit so that's cool.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: November 14, 2013, 09:27:11 PM »
Disgaea D2: Oh right, I played this too. I was in the market for something colorful and silly after the gloom of the Batmans. It is more Disgaea. You know what you're getting into by this point. Game weirdly pretends neither of Disgaea 1's endings really happened. Flonne is alive and not a flower, but Laharl is not a prinny. No mention of this discrepancy is ever made. Whatever dudes, we've got grinding to do.

Eh? You did not get Disgaea1's good end?
The main Disgaea games all took place after the D1's good end.
Prinny series are the ones that takes place after the normal end.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: November 14, 2013, 10:25:04 PM »
Got Metal Gear Revengeance free with PS+ then Vanquish for 4€. I win. Some of the best games of the gen.
Bayonetta just didn't look that great to me but I might have to get it at one point too. Also any upcoming game from the guy not on the Wii U (so basically no game)

Anyway I'm kinda stuck against the MGR final boss (trying not to use health items) and two missions in Vanquish.

I thought I could differentiate good camp from bad camp easily but MGR has blurred the lines?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 10:27:47 PM by Fenrir »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: November 14, 2013, 10:54:14 PM »
If you like MGR then I think you will actually dig Bayonetta.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: November 14, 2013, 11:26:27 PM »
I'm not a huge DMC fan is the thing, and Bayonetta sounded closer to that.
MGR kept things more simple (only two attack buttons, no major focus on combos at all), added more variety, and was better as a result I found.

Anarchy Reigns is also a thing I guess.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: November 15, 2013, 12:30:16 AM »
Bayonetta is from the same developer as MGR.  From memory it is only two buttons?  Your combos are just a mix of those buttons and less involved than DMC from my limited experience with DMC.  Mileage may vary because my experience with Bayonetta is only on Easy as fuck (dem plat trophies) and MGRR is only by rep, but there seems to be a huge overlap in the fanbase.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: November 15, 2013, 01:23:20 AM »
As I understood basically kinda the same dudes made the first REs, DMC, Bayonetta, Vanquish, MGR, Okami, God Hand, Wonderful 101? Or at least, if they don't exactly work on the same games, the "spirit"'s still there, just like these Suda games in which Suda acts as Dude Who Appears In The Credits But Does Nothing.

Okami is super boring. God Hand and DMC are definitely fun but they're focused on mastering a lot of slightly different attacks which isn't really my thing (also why I can't get into fighters) so I wasn't actively seeking that list of games. Vanquish and MGR are the shit though.

Anyway I beat MGR, looking forward to trying this again on Hard and unlocking a ton of stuff.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 01:24:58 AM by Fenrir »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: November 15, 2013, 03:05:23 AM »
Pokemon X - Beat. Levels around 57-59 at the very end (a level lower before starting the E4), that's largely with one party and no Exp Share and is about what the game feels balanced for. I didn't have too much trouble with the E4.. or even the final boss really until that final pokemon which was nasty. Four special moves off 165 SpA and 100 speed (overlevelled as hell so the actual stats might as well be 15-20 higher than this), ouch. Ended up beating it by having Delphox Calm Mind up against Tyrantrum with Feather Dance and Leech Seed applies first for defensive support, then sweeping the remaining pokemon away with its ridiculous speed.

Team notes! If I don't note an item they probably just had a +20% damage boost on their best move or something.

Delphox - Flamethrower, Psyshock, Calm Mind, Shadow Ball/Grass Knot
Certainly the strongest fire starter I have ever used, but since I've not used Infernape this... doesn't really say much! Anyway it has a bit more speed/SA than the standard charphlosion stat build, but more importantly it has a way better skillset... plenty of special moves, a second STAB (which I used to hit both defences, though Psychic is more damage at base), and Calm Mind. Fire gaining another resistance this gen also helped, and the huge number of enemy fighting types in this game help the value of psychic. Did have a notable midgame lull where it was stuck with non-STAB Psybeam as its best move in the late 20's. The high level curve of this game means that "becomes awesome at Level 34" isn't so damning, though.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite - Petal Dance, Sludge Bomb, Leech Seed, Sleep Powder
I don't think this needs much explanation, Venusaur is OP. Sleep Powder and Leech Seed off average speed and good durability can cripple most things you need crippled, Petal Dance is really great now and gained early (Level 32!)... 120 power move with only a relatively minor drawback since you can switch out to avoid the confusion. Poison helps against fairies and lets it beat up other grasses which it would otherwise fail against. Oh yeah and a Mega Evolution which cancels two of its weaknesses and makes it bulky as hell. Probably the overall MVP?

Starmie @ Leftovers - Surf, Ice Beam(/Psychic/Thunderbolt), Confuse Ray, Recover
Nothing new here, Starmie does everything and does it well. Its special coverage is better than ever with the addition of Dazzling Gleam, and if this game had Choice Specs I would probably just have run it as a pure destroyer with dual STABs and Boltbeam. That said I like the fast, reasonably durable, confuse/heal build too much, easily beats most pokemon who can't do huge damage to it. Ice Beam ended up the move of choice because I had so little answer for dragons otherwise. Probably the most valuable pokemon I had against three of the E4 (dragon, fire, and water, though the last is debatable), otherwise was just generically good.

Hawlucha - High Jump Kick, Fly, Feather Dance, Roost
Like Starmie it has a great skillset which I struggled to decide what to do with... Swords Dance, X Scissor, Poison Jab, to say a few. I settled on having it do double duty of claiming swift OHKOs with its dual STABs and acting as a fast annoyer with Feather Dance and Roost. It's a bit fragile but with that skillset and that speed I have nothing to complain about. Obviously really great midgame due to being a final evo before gym 3 (with Roost at base and 80 power STAB by level 28).

Krookodile - Earthquake, Crunch, Low Sweep, Strength
My second physical fighter and obviously the inferior one though still pretty good. Intimidate's always nice, Low Sweep was mostly for some type coverage but hey sometimes speed lowering is cool, otherwise it just rocks its STABs off above average speed and high attack. Durability was a bit problematic although it did pull past Hawlucha late (although it felt worse because it wasn't as fast and thus got hit more), although the first two forms in particular felt quite fragile. Might be the LVP, I dunno, but hey, it had two attacking STABs and you can never go too wrong with that + over 200 Attack/speed sum.

Haunter @ Eviolite - Shadow Ball, Sludge Bomb, Thunderbolt, Dazzling Gleam
Hey Eviolite gave me an excuse to use Haunter, whose design I dig, instead of Gengar, whose design I do not dig. Also, mine had crazy had SA so it actually felt like a more durable Gengar who only was lacking speed! Unfortunately lacking Gengar's speed is bad, since "more durability than Gengar" still sucks, and my attempts to give it utility didn't work too well and I ultimately decided having more type coverage would be more useful. Still, three immunities and two R4s gave it plenty to work against. Obviously not one of team leaders but it played its role well enough.

I used Sigilyph until reasonably late when I decided that I probably didn't need a third psychic, or a third healer. I used Lapras until I got Starmie which fanboyism would make an easy switchover even if the far greater speed and Recover didn't.

Anyway this game was a lot of fun, very good chance it's the best Pokemon game. I really love that the game decided to dewussify the non-boss sections of the game. Any given trainer needs to be taken at least moderately seriously, even randoms are decently legit. Victory Road has generally been my favourite parts of Pokemon games, XY was, from somewhere around the second gym on, kinda like all Victory Road, all the time. Also a whole host of minor improvements: saving is fast! Animations are pretty great! Catching things doesn't randomly deprive you of Exp! High pokemon availability! In a vacuum none of them are that big a deal but it adds up; this is a sleeker experience than past games for sure. There are still some improvements that I would like to see of course, but generally I was impressed by this. The plot was stupid when it existed (not often) but whatever you don't play the games for this.

One of the best games I've played this year though I haven't played any games that have really blown me away this year. (Same way I feel about Dual Destinies.)

VVVVVV - So this is one of those games I'm not sure why it took me so long to play, generally heard good things about it and they are generally right. Anyway apparently while I wasn't looking it came out for the 3DS, so yeah, sold. Anyway very fun little platformer. Rather limited in that there tends to be only one way to do any given thing, so it'll be replay-value light, and it's also kinda short? But it's still a lot of fun for what it is, I love gravity physics so much. It is a whole game of Gravity Man's stage in MM5 or those fun 2D gravity sections in a few Mario Galaxy levels, you had to know I was going to hype that. Anyway I haven't gotten around to the extra created stages the game comes with, hopefully those are good since what I'm currently counting on to extend my playtime.

Got 19/20 trinkets. 20th was a matter of FAQing where it was; I will get that later. I got the three which are difficult to do by technical means (edge games, prize for the reckless, doing things the hard way) though there was some hair-pulling involved of course.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: November 15, 2013, 03:16:55 AM »
Venusaur is indeed OP. Mine had a nature that was -SpA, and it still pulled MVP duty most of the time. Meant I ran petal blizzard later on(Grass type Surf running off Physical? I'll bite~) instead of petal dance, but it still kicked ass.

Nice to see Hawlucha pays off in the end, I was tempted to use one but Mega Aerodactyl neatly stole my flying slot.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: November 15, 2013, 05:39:29 AM »
Elf gets VVVVVV.  Gets Veni Vidi Vici like it ain't even a thang.

Gods I hate you for being so good at platformers.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: November 15, 2013, 06:12:41 AM »
It was still a thing!

Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: November 15, 2013, 06:18:31 AM »
Pokemon Y -

Beat it, fun times were had. I love the adorable as heck starters in this game!

Chesnaught - Leech Seed / Wood Hammer / Low Sweep / Bulk Up
Standard turtle against physicals with decent magical durability. Slow but Low Sweep can help him outspeed things.

Blaziken - Brick Break / Blaze Kick / Bulk Up / Sand Attack
A little too fragile considering his turn 1 speed. He's okay, but not great.

Meowstic - Psychic / Psyshock / Calm Mind / Thunderbolt
Fast and hits both defenses, although she fell off a bit by the end.

Heliolisk - Thunder Wave / Thunderbolt / Surf / Grass Knot
Fast and high special attack with good off-type coverage. Physically very fragile.

Durant - X-Scissor / Thunder Wave / Iron Head / Dig
Bug/Steel is a cool typing and he has 150 speed at endgame. Killed the final Pokemon of the final boss with him.

Umbreon - Assurance / Baby-Doll Eyes / Screech / Moonlight
The tanky debuffing turtle.

Too much kawaii in the game, my brain exploded.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: November 15, 2013, 06:55:56 PM »
Elf gets VVVVVV.  Gets Veni Vidi Vici like it ain't even a thang.

Gods I hate you for being so good at platformers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa2P9sU7gEQ

The fun starts at the 8 minute mark.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2415 on: November 15, 2013, 07:53:07 PM »
Giga Bowser RPG: Wanted to finish the game last night, but final dungeon arc is much longer than I thought!  So instead, I just punched a castle...a lot...black holes may have been involved too.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: November 16, 2013, 01:25:32 AM »
X:  I discovered a hidden village of Pokémon that ran away from their owners due to abuse.  So I promptly shoved them into pokeballs and commited them to a life of slavery.

OMG Sneasel is so pimp!

He's all like, "Sup?"

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: November 16, 2013, 05:31:03 PM »
Giga Bowser RPG:  Completed.  I did do some backtracking to insure I got the last ability, because shut up, that's why!  Did make me appreciate the final dungeon more in how it asks you to use all your tools, not just "what you got most recently." 

Game is pretty much what you expect; decent fluff.  Doesn't aspire to be great, just decent, and succeeds at that.  Still had some frustrating things, most notably are some of the platforming segments were a pain because the jump is trivial with Mario, but having to have BOTH Jump is just annoying, especially when you need both to land on a platform that's barely larger than one character.

The other thing that annoyed me was the sneezing Mini-game.  When I finished it the first time, I was glad it was over with...then they throw it at you two more times in quick succession.  It is a poorly responsive mini-game that has 2 parts to it and is completely unfun.  They use the stylus gimmick in one other area (the floating platform in the last Bowser Interior dungeon) and it's way better there in every-way.  The sad part is, all the other Minigames range from ambivalently forgettable to actually fun, which is rare!

Thinking 6/10 material.  It's decent but nothing amazing.  Better than Superstar Saga, but not by a significant amount which I think I gave the same rating too.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: November 17, 2013, 10:00:32 AM »
BoF 2- Replayed for general amusement/stat topic recalibration. Just got the whale and Deis. Any input on when would actually be a good DL time to consider her in terms of starting. Taken earliest as possible, she'll be about 300,000 experience up on everyone else (Which granted is probably worth about 3 levels at endgame). Early game balance is interesting in that everyone really does feel well balanced. Ryu is the best, but even running through Nimufu's Tower, Sten!!!! felt like the third best party member. Of course, Jean comes along and just is horribly dead weight (and without the spell from Ray, Nina would be only slightly better).

Xenoblade- Progressing very slowly. God, so much hate for the auto rotating dungeon aspects. Makes me slightly queasy/headachey at times. This game would be so significantly improved if it was a true turn based game instead of a turn based game badly disguised as a wannabe ARPG. Just beat Mumhkar the second time. Couldn't tell you what he can do because the game makes it truly impossible to tell. So badly contrasts with Tales/Star Ocean in battle visuals.
...into the nightfall.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: November 17, 2013, 04:53:35 PM »
Odd, I remember Nina's S. Boom being devastating in Witch's Tower... and her speed is okay and her durability irrelevant due to BoF2 targetting. Glancing through the notes I made for the BoF2 stat topic she's never far behind on damage compared to any other character (ignoring dragons), and hers is MT. I guess if most enemies fall between Katt/Sten and Ryu/Nina for speed (which sounds possible) then you can argue Katt/Sten have speed while Rand has healing (ignoring Ray's spell) and she comes out lacking compared to them, but I feel like that's underrating both the value of MT and the value of having someone in that fourth position, since fighters take a notable damage hit there. Also overrating Rand's healing-off-bad-speed.

Not sure what to do with Deis. I don't think it matters too much? I'd probably say to compromise and wait a couple dungeons (maybe when you have to go over to that area anyway? I forget exactly when that is but I remember thinking sometime fit the bill), although with how minimal BoF2 exp is early, if it's 300k now it'll probably be 250k minimum then. Both times I played I remember noticing that you get about half of the ~million endgame exp in the final dungeon.

Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: November 17, 2013, 07:10:42 PM »
Pokémon Y - In the span of a day, I went from having three gym badges to six. Um yeah, the game started really rollin'. Also, I have an oil lamp Pokémon.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2421 on: November 18, 2013, 07:47:34 PM »
Castlevania: CHARLOTTE JONATHAN- Finished.  The number of borderline instant-death attacks in the end is rather rude.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: November 18, 2013, 07:59:39 PM »
World of Warcraft: WoW Battle Pet Trainers are officially more frustrating than anything Pokemon has ever thrown at me. Fuck all of Pandaria in the goddamn face.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 08:03:00 PM by AndrewRogue »

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2423 on: November 18, 2013, 08:01:39 PM »
WHY ARE YOU PLAYING WOW TO START WITH.  IT IS AN INVITATION TO DISASTER.  THOU CANNOT ESCAPE THE GRASP OF CATASTROPHE.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: November 18, 2013, 08:02:31 PM »
Playing it for superior Pokemon designs.