Register

Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing 2013?  (Read 186669 times)

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing 2013?
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2013, 09:57:35 AM »
Virtue's Last Reward - played through, completely

Highly enjoyable, albeit a little too convoluted towards the end.

Issues:
- Game crashed with an error window and returned to desktop at one point. Fortuitously this happened shortly after saving, so not much was lost. The same thing happened once while I was playing Paper Mario so maybe there's a problem with the 3DS itself, which would be an unhappy situation.
- Game locked up once during the Archives, and had to be killed manually. I had saved at the start of that area so didn't need to replay too much, but still galling.
- Text layout is broken in several areas. Sometimes this is just a case of text seeming to have a manual newline one word after an automatic newline, so
you
get sentences that display like this; sometimes this is just a case of the text overrunning the bottom of the dialogue box. Both of those look bad but have no functional problems - but a couple of times (only remember this happening in secret files) you get text which runs off the bottom of the screen, and I wasn't able to find any way of scrolling it or anything, so you just can't see the rest of it.
- Sigma is much more of a dick on some paths than he is on others (disregarding the pathsplitting mechanism in itself). The most obvious being the Archives path. I found it fairly aggravating, especially since I seemed to get all the problem paths after having played most of the non-problem paths.

They need to bring 999 out on the eShop or something now, seeing as how we didn't get it over here.

Little Inferno - played through

Fairly enjoyable, although it gets a bit slow later on. Sure, you can use stamps to speed things up, but there are only so many and they don't last that long when you're using them on things which require 6-8 of them. I want to say that I had been capped on stamps for a while before that point so it would have been a little better if they allowed for hundreds of stamps instead of tens of them.

Ended up missing four combos, which were TIMBER, Diseased, Yellow Brick Road, and I forget the other one. It was some other three-item combo. Anyway, I was out of stamps and couldn't be bothered dealing with the delays any more.

I don't really have an opinion on the game's message. Too oblivious for that.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2013, 12:40:33 PM »
Important query to those who know a lot about the lands of Marios - am I more a Daisy or a Peach? Or just <(^^)>

I will be playing it this weekend Idun once I find my DS/DS charger (I have a vague idea where the DS is, will probably have to hunt for the charger and stylus if I need it though) *randomtackleglomphugs*  :)

Thank you and Ciatos for the gift (=, I still have to post in the Christmas thread about it and all the other wonderful gifts I received from peeps ^_^ Also I posted a picture of myself holding it and other stuffs earlier in the week because I'm a goof~
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2013, 02:55:25 PM »
Disgaea 4 end game. That bad ass overlord is 1HKO'ing my max leveled peoples! Perhaps I should get multiple thieves so steal from him quicker. Up until his figt, I have not had much of a problem with the post game battles. I want to try and get all the titles for this game, but after beating it and pumping upteen hours into the game I only have around 20% of them unlocked. Le'sigh~

Pokemon Conquest - Fun, but game has issues.

Seriously the game has a lot of strong points, but man is the lay out frustrating. Accessing the menus, equipment, and team management could have been a lot easier. I'm in the post game and just got my first legendary! I am in a story where the last remaining country has never attempted to take over any of my countries, so that allows me the freedom to grind! Currently I am trying to find as many perfect matches with everyone possible and get some warlord evolutions in the process as well.

It's also a shame that some of the last evolutions for some of my favorite pokemon have serious range issues!
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2013, 06:54:45 PM »
SO4 - I've seen this plot twist before... in SO3...
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2013, 12:38:50 AM »
The 2nd Super Robot Wars Original Generation EPISODE 3 THE GAIA SAVIOR (Now With More Juvenile Delinquents): Midgame pathsplit done with, I am now apparently on the long slow path to acquiring swag.  Also apparently I cocked up getting a secret that I don't actually care about at all.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2013, 01:21:45 AM »
DMC DMD mode - Beat my head against all three of Griffon's appearances (the third being the hardest boss in the game yet), but they've all fallen. Grenades solve everything. Next up, the long reacquainting process with my dear friend Nightmare, now more badass than on other difficulties. someone kill me now

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2013, 05:25:33 AM »
Romancing SaGa 3: Bought every company in the world except two in Yamas.
I believe I have about 25 000 000 000 SaGa dollars.

I completed the treasure caves, looted the Harid only dungeon while running the hell away from the boss, and went to the Moses well. The necromancer guarding the Devil King Shield was an intense fight:
- He summons around one enemy per turn and most couldn't even be killed in one turn by my team.
- My only long range options were terribad Thomas with Squall, Spirit Stone items and Ellen tomahawking.
I barely won (I had 10 Spirit Stones lying around, and Ellen > The rest), and then fought Volcano & Undine who were completely out of my league. Undine 2HKOed most of the team with freaking Squall.
Fortunately Ellen just used Dimensional Cut and they both died. lol
Ellen. rocks.

This isn't red eyeshadow. This is blood.

Anyway I replaced Thomas with Undine and she's overpowered right now. Best HP too.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 06:48:48 PM by Fenrir »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2013, 04:51:05 PM »
Lego Batman 2: Completed the main game!

Ok, so the whole "play as other DC heroes!" thing barely applies to the main game, which I guess explains why it's specifically "Lego Batman 2" and not like "Lego Justice League."  First half of the game is pretty much entirely Batman/Robin, Superman pops up and you get to use him for a while, and only in the final stage do Green Lantern AND Cyborg show up, with just enough time to get use to what they can do!

Final boss gives you Flash and Wonder Woman too, and they're pretty much useless because you have no clue what their controls are (turns out Flash is just "runs fast" and Wonder Woman is basically Batman with Flight and Super Strength...yeah, lazy done character there), and fight just asks for...everyone else you're using (well, ok, Flash has best mobility so good at evading final bosses attacks, but he's never necessary.)

THANKFULLY, there's a lot of aftergame content to mess around with it seems, and you get a lot of characters to use there, so I guess all is good.

I did get a chance to see, in a brief glimpse of one of the new features, what Hawkman and Green Arrow can do.  Both...are kind of meh.  Hawkman seems identical to Wonder Woman (for combat anyway), Green Arrow is just kind of really bad though maybe that has to do wtih the fight he was set up for being bad (plus solo stuff, game is usually you + ally, so maybe he works better with a partner.)

That said, nice simple fun game, gets better when Superman pops in because before that it's "keep doing stuff until can't progress, find new suit for Batman/Robin, use new suit, move on."  Superman of course is kind of overpowered; this doesn't shock me, but I didn't expect them to make him literally unkillabe to everything if Kryptonite doesn't exist; I figured that would be one power they'd have left out just because it's silly, but nope, it's there!  So yes, this is probably the most accurate representation of Superman in a video game yet!  Cyborg was kind of disappointing but I guess I was expecting a little too much there; Green Lantern was disappointing at first because his Ring is just "quick beam shot" but then I saw the Green Block Manipulation thing and how creative the game got there and all was good.

I think the game's strongest point, really, beyond it's content, is just the way it handles the plot.  It's got a straight faced "Lex Luthor and Joker try to take over the world!" style plot, only at the same time, played tongue and cheek.  Of course, Mark Hamil's Joker never hurts the situation, the way Batman basically handles the plot all Super Serious while everyone else gives a sense of having fun with it is a hilarious contrast and somehow extremely fitting of Batman.  This game would definitely not have worked with the old style "mumble dialog" that Lego Indiana Jones used, because original story using established characters instead of parodying well known stories.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2013, 09:53:25 PM »
ELLEN SMASH

Axe skills are the terror of the early-midgame indeed. Ellen is good for being capable enough at axes and, if you care? Build her as a martial artist too for amazing endgame smash. She's quietly one of the most solid PCs in the game and requires no fancies to make work. Grab her, use her, love her. She's like my second-most used PC.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2013, 12:12:32 AM »
FF13 - THE QUEEN IS DEAD LONG LIVE THE LESBIANS HOT SKITTY ON WAILORD ACTION

So, yeah, beaten. An amazingly tight battle design with excellent fights and great pacing in battles marred by egregious plot-gameplay integration done sketchily and egregious, EGREGIOUS writing. Still, holy fuck the gameplay was so cool in spite of the auto-piloting. Probably a 7/10.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2013, 03:28:48 AM »
Who's your most used RS3 character?

I don't know endgame that much since I've started the game 176 times and finished it once. I can't see Ellen getting uncool though. She just surpassed Undine's damage by learning Dynamic Hit in Muse's dream, she deals 1200 damage with it.
Fat Robin hasn't learned anything better than Screwdriver (which is still pretty good) and Poet has been nothing but a disappointment. I'd replace him with Sharl but he is worse than Tatyana about leaving. (and I don't want him to permanently die or anything)

I never really used Sharl before because he can't learn crowns, but now I realize that crowns really aren't anything special. He looks really cool but I don't want to leave Fat robin yet!

I'm using the Desert Lance formation and putting tank Harid on the front. It's working well.

Edit: Couldn't they make the aurora path slightly more obscure? I've changed my mind and have replaced Fat Robin with Snowman. Oh yeah. Poet is not longer the LVP.
Also Undine just soloed the entire Zweig tournament. Um.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 04:29:26 AM by Fenrir »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2013, 04:52:36 AM »
Fenrir doing games like a good Statistician.  Don't like the results?  Skew the scale with transformation of data or pollute the source data.

Middle Manager of Justice - Double Fine made a free mobile casual game.  Has all the normal trappings of things take time, you can speed them up by spending currency you earn in game or pay2win.  Also has the cheap buy me if you want to play the game balanced better like we were making a $2 game item.

I bought the $2 item because Diuble Fine can take my money (greftarispay2winloser).  It doubles the secondary currency you earn, so is kind of nust grind reducing.  The game is silly but fun way to piss away some time.  Certainly better than the Square Enix one I tried that played itself and pretty much blatantly is pay to even be worth bothering with.

If the idea of franchised Super Hero teams in a comedy setting interests you and you play casual portable games it is worth a look.

Edit - Just realized the DL might not widely know that is a trope.  Well it is. Think Incredibles where it was their day jobs to be heroes.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 04:55:18 AM by Grefter »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2013, 06:47:04 PM »
SO4 - There's trouble in paradise. Just killed Tamil, who was a respectable boss. Last dungeon was pretty fun with its cute little puzzles.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2013, 07:49:57 PM »
Map: Crunch
Loadout: Blunderbuss, Boom barrel, Archers, Decoy, trap trinket, guardian trinket, Tar trap, arrows, coin forge, flame scorcher

Strategy: I had a fuck of a lot of resets on this map, most I had in the game. There are two immediate problems here. A: The sheer number of heavies on the map will overwhelm even Paladins in seconds. B: There are four rifts and no central choke point until the rifts. I tried various setups and got overwhelmed by wave 4 every time. You have no magic ot control the horde and that really hurts.

I used Decoys on a lark and cleared it fairly quickly. The trick is to set up a Coin Forge/trap section in the long hallways that your archers can reach. This slows down the waves starting from the top of the level nicely. You can set up a similiar trick near the acid pits by the rifts for the other two gates. The trick is to invest a lot of coins in the decoys and make sure each one has a decoy up by the start of each wave. The decoys massively slow down the waves, that gives your archers more time to handle the heavies. Boom barrels were as usual invaluable for handling heavies that got close to the rift. I three skulled this map and was happy with it. At this point in the challenge I dropped the five skull requirement, since I was getting quite enough challenge just surviving.

This and upstairs downstairs were *extremely* unpleasant. More than anything else, lots of ways for the enemy to go is bad news. Whoof.

Map: Mirror Image

Loadout: Crossbow (Fire), Boom Barrel, Archers, Decoy, Guardian Trinket, Rift Trinket, Spore Mushrooms, Dart Spitter, Coin Forge, Floor Scorcher

Strategy: Pretty standard. The first few waves were hell thanks to no magic, but spore decoys handled the fucking trolls and the decoy/coin forge/dart spitter kill box more or less made the  main sections managable. I lost a few rift points here, but mostly managed the map okay. The lack of heavies here was a nice change of pace!

Map:  Wind up

Loadout: Crossbow (Fire), Boom Barrel, Barricade, Guardian Trinket, Rift Trinket, Dwarves, Dart Spitter, Tar, Floor Scorcher, Arrow Wall

Strategy: This is as easy as lategame maps get. I barricaded up the rift, set up one kill box with dwarves on the bottom. I set up a bunch of traps upstairs as well, since the majority of enemies come from that way. I three skulled this due to a glitchy barricade, but five skulling it would be pretty doable otherwise. I high recommend throwaway barricades on the last few waves for the sappers.

Map: Twisted halls
Loadout: Crossbow, Boom Barrel, Archers, Guardian Trinket, Rift Trinket, Haymakers, Tar, Grinder, Floor Scorcher, Barricade

I set up a grinder killbox near the first set of stairs, then just spammed flame traps and tar near the main ones. I hit the guardian limit here- my archers kept getting sniped by cyclops and Gnoll hunters. Wave 12 involved jumping down to where the cyclops come out and spamming boom barrels to kill them and the goblin shamans- so worth it, those fucking assholes would have killed the Archers I had set up to deal with the fliers. I barely five skulled this- I was seven seconds from the par time and barely killed the last few enemies with boom barrels before they hit the rift. Oh yeah. Haymakers near where the fliers spawn? A good idea for the last few waves ,since thunder bats are very good at killing archers.

This challenge was frustrating at points, but was still fun. It says something that the hardest, most obnoxious level (Upstairs downstairs) is one that is cake normally on nightmare, and that one was still easier than Chilled caverns. Fuck Chilled caverns so much.

I may run the classic levels with this setup, but I strongly suspect that only the finale and the squeeze (oh god, tons of heavies and fliers) would be challenging.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2013, 10:46:37 PM »
Who's your most used RS3 character?

Katrina. <_____________< I always use her as my main, the offensive stat spread is just too good and she's the only speedster who has proficiency in greatswords, making her the prime candidate for the Ice Sword.

Quote from: Fenrir
I don't know endgame that much since I've started the game 176 times and finished it once. I can't see Ellen getting uncool though. She just surpassed Undine's damage by learning Dynamic Hit in Muse's dream, she deals 1200 damage with it.

Endgame techs for axes aren't so much about the damage (Sky Diver is very useful for the stat busting, though), and the weapon type's best damage skill is on a midgame weapon (Yo-yo on the Francisca. Spam that Tomahawk! You could try Orbit Borer too, but that's crazy hard to learn on a lategame weapon), mitigating the offensive potential some. But they're still plenty viable at the end - I've used Ellen a lot as a pure axewoman and she doesn't disappoint. It's just that holy crap the midgame gamut of axe skills is just amazing. Blade Roll, Dimension Chop and Accel Buster are excellent for the time you learn them.

Fat Robin hasn't learned anything better than Screwdriver (which is still pretty good) and Poet has been nothing but a disappointment. I'd replace him with Sharl but he is worse than Tatyana about leaving. (and I don't want him to permanently die or anything)

Kill an Abyss Guardian and then take Poet to a bar and ask him to leave if you don't want to deplete his LP. Meanwhile, Epee techs have issues - after Screwdriver, the first thing better than it you'll learn is Southern Cross, which is quite disappointing. The very last skill, Final Letter, is indeed very good and up to par with stuff like Dragon Inferno, but it's near-impossible to learn. Epee techs are really crap about offense outside it to boot and will be very disappointing at the end.

I never really used Sharl before because he can't learn crowns, but now I realize that crowns really aren't anything special. He looks really cool but I don't want to leave Fat robin yet!

I'm using the Desert Lance formation and putting tank Harid on the front. It's working well.

Edit: Couldn't they make the aurora path slightly more obscure? I've changed my mind and have replaced Fat Robin with Snowman. Oh yeah. Poet is not longer the LVP.
Also Undine just soloed the entire Zweig tournament. Um.

You're the bestest. USE SNOWMAN TO KILL AVNAS AW YEAH (kinda serious here)

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2013, 11:46:32 PM »
Tierkreis - the characters in this game need to lay off the speed

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2013, 11:59:26 PM »
The 2nd Super Robot Wars Original Generation EPISODE 3 THE GAIA SAVIOR (The Comedy Tour Returns): Mio's back~.  Also Ibis became broken and it's a testament to something that Masaki is still #2 in kills despite missing 27 stages.  On the downside noooo my lightning buzzsaw mech why plot why :(
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 12:01:37 AM by Random Consonant »

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2013, 01:35:45 AM »
I was warned about this and as a result every time Hugo is set to auto-deploy I swap him to Cerberus just to be safe.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2013, 02:37:10 AM »

Sharl with the Silver Hand is ridiculously powerful and it's still pretty easy to learn his Spear skills despite his Fire Magic levels. (Also, any excuse to give someone Reviver is a good one!)

Poet needs to Level up his FISTS so his Singing can improve. (I'm 100% serious about this, Everyone's Song buffs more based solely on how strong Poet's Fist Level is.)

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2013, 02:42:17 AM »
Katrina?? The best and worst answer. Congrats Snow.

Okay, I gave Snowman an epee (Because just about anything sounded better than making this snowman learn kung fu) but I guess a spear would be better.
I assume maces suck too. Half the skills seem to inflict status. No one cares.

Oh and yeah. Blade roll was really nice for the car battle (just not as much as Undine's Thunder Clap) I still haven't learnt that last tech though.

I'm half tempted to try a solo playthrough of this game next, which is largely uncharted territory and doesn't sound at all like a good idea. I guess I'll need sun and... water magic for water ball? Or fire for berserk and reviver? I don't know.
... Mikhail as a main? With uh... Kung fu? Spears?
Terrible idea.

Djinn edit: Woah. It's... still too late for the bard for me. I have lobsters and vampires and elephants waiting in line to potentially replace a bard.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 02:43:58 AM by Fenrir »

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2013, 07:09:20 AM »
Star Ocean 4 - Almost died by being ambushed by zombies and then watched an extremely long scene. This game seems to be fond of its very long scenes. Almost done with Disc 2, it looks like!

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2013, 07:36:09 PM »
Star Ocean 4 - Almost died by being ambushed by zombies and then watched an extremely long scene. This game seems to be fond of its very long scenes. Almost done with Disc 2, it looks like!

At one point my controller turned off so it paused the scene and I thought the game froze.  True story.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2013, 08:21:53 PM »
Same. It has happened twice actually!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2013, 09:16:08 PM »
I'm thoroughly impressed.

EDIT:

Wild ARMs XF - Big screen replay! Gonna try actually using a Sentinel maybe this time around - or at least anti-ZOC. Act 1-16, where the streets have no zombies name.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 09:18:54 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2013, 09:59:39 PM »
Happened in my play-through too!  star Ocean 4 Abridged pinpoints the exact moment in dialog it happened even!

Playstation All stars: Beat the game with Nathan Drake, and both Coles.

Nathan has good normals but his level 1 super is awkward, and level 2 seems underwhelming.  LEvel 3...SUMMON ANCIENT AZTEC CURSE ON EVERYONE ok, that was fun.

Cole was pretty good overall, Evil Cole was...similar and the things that were different felt universally better.  Uh, yeah, this made me LESS convinced that having 2 Coles was necessary, seeing as their movesets were more similar than I was led to believe, and Evil Cole just felt straight up better for the most part.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A