Register

Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing 2013?  (Read 186594 times)

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing 2013?
« Reply #575 on: February 28, 2013, 06:46:59 PM »
KIU:  Pandora's labyrinth of deceit almost gave me a seizure playing the level in 3D.  What a mind fuck of a level.  Still pretty fun in short bursts.

FE13: Lunatic+ finally done.  If you played Advance Wars DS and beat the hard campaign using Eagle/Sami base rush strat, it's like that in FE13 only it's mandatory.  Get 4-5 Galeforce users, pair them up, and use the extra turns from galeforce to zerg rush the boss in 2-3 turns.  Trying to beat chapters 20 and 25 by normal rout is almost impossible unless you get real lucky with reinforcements spawning with terrible skills.  Dark Fliers with Vantage+ and Hawkeye (and Galeforce!) means someone is going to die.   My MVP  was Lucina by far.  Chrom/MU pairing gives her access to Galeforce, Sol, Rightful King, and Vantage all at once.  Aether's lower proc is not worth it over Sol.  Counter is still the biggest troll skill in the game.  Cordelia/Severa/Chrom/Morgan/Stahl/Tiki/Owain rounded out the rest of the crew.  Everyone else was just meatbags to distract the enemy so my 6pool strategy would work.  Not a mode I would play through again, especially getting stuck on Chapter 2 for about 2 days.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 01, 2013, 12:52:44 AM »
Persona 3 Portable, Yattaf solo:

Naginata in hand, Yattaf took a look at Junpei, took a look at Yukari, and promptly realized that they were only going to be liabilities (despite strong "Friendship is stronger" themes in the game) Her first choice as a leader was removing them from the party, forever.
When other people joined the team, they were so hopelessely outmached by Yattaf at that point that, out of an inferiority complex, they all decided on their own to only act as backup/support.
(Except the dog, who's busy being a dog)

Anyway:

- 3x Venus Eagle: They do 20 damage with physicals/Garu, they die in 4 hits from any non wind basic spells, Dia heals for 60.
Solution -> A badass Alp persona with wind protection, Zio and Dia.

- 3x Dancing Hand: Those have every spell available, so any persona with a weakness is out. They do about the same damage as venus eagles but are weak to Strike damage. Unfortunately, the only way to get Strike is Bash, a physical skill that costs 11 HP (Seriously, every HP counts)
Solution -> Ara Mitama persona, with Dia, Rakukaja and Bash. Rakukaja doesn't last long enough, but this isn't a problem when doing damage gives you free turns.

- Rampage Drive: Ara Mitama destroys that guy too!

So far, Yattaf is just starting S-links with everyone, and she hasn't really decided who she'll hang out with yet.
She has decided who she's not going to hang out with though. Like Junpei.

She's also joined the tennis club:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBqBCMpn4ZE

FF4 TAY: Did Ceodore's quest, then Porom's, then Palom's.
Then did Palom's optional dungeon sans the ridiculously tough boss.
Went back to Ceodore's quest to see if there was an optional dungeon there too, and accidently erased Palom's save.
Seriously?
I'm sure everybody did something like this at least once in this freaking game.

Restarted Palom's quest and beat that optional boss the right way at level 30. Nice fight.
Then I beat him the wrong way (using the co-op attack) and it was good fun as well.

TAY is surprisingly great so far. It knows the best things about FF4 are the quick pace, constantly changing tools given to the player, and balance.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 01, 2013, 11:14:39 PM »
Oh my. I didn't realize that Donnel essentially gets promotion bonuses for changing out of the Villager class. I changed him to a fighter and rushed him up to level ten to change him to a hero and as a level 1 Hero almost all of his stats are in the thirties. The only ones that aren't are HP (56), Mag(11), Speed(29) and Res(19). I don't forsee the game being very challenging in the future.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 01, 2013, 11:46:57 PM »
Persona 3 Portable, Yattaf solo:

Marry me, Fenrir <3
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 01, 2013, 11:55:33 PM »
FE13: Lunatic+ finally done.  If you played Advance Wars DS and beat the hard campaign using Eagle/Sami base rush strat, it's like that in FE13 only it's mandatory.  Get 4-5 Galeforce users, pair them up, and use the extra turns from galeforce to zerg rush the boss in 2-3 turns.  Trying to beat chapters 20 and 25 by normal rout is almost impossible unless you get real lucky with reinforcements spawning with terrible skills.  Dark Fliers with Vantage+ and Hawkeye (and Galeforce!) means someone is going to die.   My MVP  was Lucina by far.  Chrom/MU pairing gives her access to Galeforce, Sol, Rightful King, and Vantage all at once.  Aether's lower proc is not worth it over Sol.  Counter is still the biggest troll skill in the game.  Cordelia/Severa/Chrom/Morgan/Stahl/Tiki/Owain rounded out the rest of the crew.  Everyone else was just meatbags to distract the enemy so my 6pool strategy would work.  Not a mode I would play through again, especially getting stuck on Chapter 2 for about 2 days.

Come, reinforcements, said the spider to the...  other spiders.

kekekekeke

OMG nr 10 u noob

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 02, 2013, 12:12:42 AM »
FE:A Galeforce and Armsthrift were my two favorite skills.

Donnel was put on the shelf to allow some other people time to get stronger.

My Chrom and Avatar ended up being pretty weak, shame too.

My MVP units ended up being Owain, Donnel, (Owain's dad...go figure.), Brady, Nah, Gerome, and Inigo. The kids really do steal the show in this game.

One thing I want to mention is, though I enjoy the support conversations, it feels as though a lot of them don't have the substance some of the older games provided. Like, almost none of the characters share any back-stories with each other. I get that this game is a semi-dating sim do get the kids integrated, but I guess that's my one gripe.

other then that i have enjoyed this game from beginning to end.

Oh, well I haven't finished just yet. I am nearing the end. I'm in chapter 25 right now, so it can't be too far from here.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 12:15:02 AM by Scar »
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 02, 2013, 03:34:46 AM »
I'm waiting for the bonus maps in FE:A to come out, so until then...

FE8 Netplay with Trancey;
I've had worse ideas. Since we're playing FE8 Normal, we're basically going to be making bad decisions all the way through. Some ground rules:

1) We're going to keep track of kills per player. Person with the most kills gets MVP at end of the level and "wins". So there's some element of competition
2) Lords rule -since lords are always forced, Trancey and I agreed to basically swap turns/levels at controlling the lords. Same with Seth for the first 10 levels.
3) Speaking of Seth, his kills don't count until level 10+ because he basically starts out as god and is unfair to the other guy anyway
4) Once we get deployment choice, Hatbot deployment. We're thinking of splitting deployment in 1/2 with 1/2 of it being Hatbotted and the other half being manually chosen (so we don't get stuck with deadweight late in the game)
5) #YOLO forever. It is Fire Emblem after all.

Haven't thought of any penalty clauses yet but we'll see. Some highlights tonight:

- Trancey controls Eirika in the prologue and gets her killed from a 39% chance iron axe followed by a 19% chance iron axe. No penalty clause means we wipe and reset, but it was p.great
- Against the boss in the fourth level, we don't have enough offense to kill him since he's on a throne. Luckily, GARCIA manages to hit off of sub 50% chances, allowing us to kill him that turn. Shitty level up though.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 02, 2013, 10:32:30 AM »
Please tell me you got that on stream, with Trancey commentary.  There's has been a lack of poor life decisions.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 02, 2013, 12:39:36 PM »
http://www.twitch.tv/tideruglia/b/372778663

Just 4 u Eph. You'll have to excuse that Trance has a quiet mic.
<@Claude> yahtzee

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 02, 2013, 12:51:40 PM »
Thing about character backstories in FE13 is that you have the pick the right supports to get them, since most characters have over a dozen and it'd get dumb if the same backstory elements kept getting rehashed in every single support. So it largely comes down to chance whether you get serious character development supports like Gregor/Tharja, Gregor/Cherche, Lon'qu/Cherche, Virion/Panne, Libra/Tharja, Gaius/Maribelle, Chrom/Sully, or Cordelia/Avatar, or supports written purely for comedy like Henry/Sumia, Vaike/Avatar, or Lon'qu/Miriel, or supports that make references to past FE games like Stahl/Nowi, Panne/Avatar, or Donnel/Cordelia, or supports that are just kinda dumb like Vaike/Olivia.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: March 02, 2013, 02:46:03 PM »
That is the case then. I am still far from uncovering every single support from this game. I guess most of them I've unlocked aren't too deep. Some are great though, Owain's supports are so silly they make me smile in my pants.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: March 02, 2013, 10:55:44 PM »
Metroid Prime: Beat this a couple days ago.

In some ways the game's opening area serves as a warning sign I should have taken more seriously. Like in Super Metroid, the game begins with a timed escape sequence. Unlike Super Metroid, it's seven minutes long, and has a point where I wasn't sure how to advance due to being unable to find the platform I was supposed to jump on. I thought it was bad design, before I shrugged and moved on. But this is pretty much what the game does wrong in a nutshell. Bad platforming and bad pacing, and not really especially good at anything else.

I'm still not sure quite what went wrong. You can certainly see the similarity to the great games in the series I love. To some extent the game set out with a simple goal, translate Super Metroid into 3D. It doesn't even, at base, do a terrible job of it. But the resulting product isn't much fun. I think part of the problem is that while first-person perspective better fits with Samus' beam and missile attacks, it is absolutely terrible for platforming, and the game insists on keeping both.

First-person platforming really sucks. It involves trying to jump on things without being certain where they are. I'm not certain it is a thing that can be done well... none of the FPSes I have played I would consider to have platforming and now I know why. But regardless, the game does not do a good job of it. Even worse, the game does not allow you to simultaneously move forward AND look down, so there isn't even an awkward option to look at your feet as you jump. Have fun if the platform is moving! And then there is my favourite, when the game combines platforming with poor visibility (fuck the frigate). Or forces you to use x-ray mode which is pretty much always poor visibility (or infrared). And in general few things are less fun than just trying to look for platforms to jump on, while in some crappy visibility mode. And the game does it a lot.

The game also has some serious problems with pacing. I clocked in at 14:30, which is insane for a Metroid game. Of course it would be faster if I knew where to go, but the thing is... I usually did know where to go. The game, to its credit, will tell you where your next objective is. Obviously there are various time savings that one could make (and would on a replay), but that's still two to three times longer than the other games. There's a couple reasons for this:

a) While all Metroids tend to force you to do a fair bit of backtracking as you get new powerups that let you advance further in old areas, this is the only one that never really speeds up said backtracking. There's no speed booster (except for the morph ball). There's no flight-allowing space jump (shitty platforming must persist until the very last area!). In general the maps aren't designed with shortcuts once you get certain powerups the way other games are.

b) That stupid fetchquest late in the game. You literally have to track down 12 random items that do nothing but open the final area. Like what the hell, I facepalm when RPGs do things like this and they at least have the excuse of using the padding to squeeze in some more writing.

c) Lots of time-wasting to get past certain rooms, usually in the form of solving random "puzzles" akin to those in Zelda. It even has a chime when you solve one kinda like Zelda. Actually between this and the fetchquesting and some of the boss design they might as well have called this game Metroid: Now we want to be Zelda, so don't play this if your name is Elfboy. The game isn't actually longer than Super Metroid in terms of content (that is, bosses, or powerups), just in ways that waste your time.

Otherwise the game's okay. Combat would be much better if switching between weapons was a faster action or if charging didn't take so long (it's significantly slower than Super/Fusion, and I don't like charging as a mechanic to start with), or if boss design was less lame. Omega Pirate and the final boss are pretty decently fun and took me a few tries each, but nothing exceptional. Ridley was lame. Most everything else is either braindead easy or a puzzle gimmick. Plot is embarrassingly non-existant, I don't think I ever really understood what was going on nor did I care. It's pretty much "take Super Metroid, remove that introduction where the game spells out clearly what's going on and why you should care, and remove the bit with the baby Metroid which made you want to kick the final boss' ass". I mean to the game's credit the game has no plot to get in the WAY, but this kind of complete plotlessness isn't my style.

Well I think that's everything. It's not total crap like FF2 or whatever, but still weirdly bad.

Replaying God Hand now!

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 02, 2013, 11:31:59 PM »
Huh I was watching bits of a guy replaying Marathon and there is lots of bits he certainly refers to as platforming.  Rooms with elevated platforms you need to fall between as puzzles and to get pickups and whatnot (guy is an avid platform fan as well).

Doom has similar kinds of sequences and Halflife series definitely has Platforming sequences.

They all have that problem you describe of not being able to see enough to jump and land particularly safely.  Being able to navigate your character in a 3D space like that with the reduced field of view is definitely a common problem with the platforming in First Person games.  Some more modern games work around it with options to expand the field of view beyond the stock 90 degree angle to a broader view that gives you peripheral vision and this takes a bit of getting used to but is pretty amazingly useful when you do (something even lets you output a full 360 degree view, forget what it was, probs Crysis). Neat way of using technology to ease a long standing problem with the viewpoint.  Works beat with widescreen monitors of course, or even more so for multiple monitors if you are one of those crazies running eyefinity.

I would say it is something I wish they would stop doing because even in great FPS games with platforming (Halflife) it is the low point of the game, but then there is Portal and I need to shut my whore mouth.  There is a first person series of puzzle/platform era that has rated game of the year and really high on the list another year both times they come out and it wasn't solely because of the writing.

So I guess I am saying to at the other Prime games that you haven't (??? Thought you had played 1.  Was it only like 3 you had played or something?).
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 02, 2013, 11:36:08 PM »
I hadn't played any games in that series before.

Marathon doesn't even have a jump button. There is some moving between platforms that you could call platforming I suppose, though it's quite different from Metroid which seems to have tried to put 2D platforming mechanics (doublejumping and all that) in an FPS. And then not let you move while looking down (something Marathon and Quake certainly let you do. Don't remember Doom well enough to comment).

Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: March 03, 2013, 12:00:31 AM »
I used Doom and Marathon specifically because it was in there before Jump was a thing in them (controlled falling instead of jumping).

Looking down while jumping in the games is normally inefficient anyway but wowowowowow is not having the option terrible in a game post Quake (Doom in its original version you couldn't look up or down, zDoom rectifies this).

I must be mixing up you playing Fusion with Prime or something.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: March 03, 2013, 02:31:47 AM »
I know Turok: Dinosaur Hunter for the N64, a game that is...iffy...had a lot of platforming and it sucked, but even THAT let you look down while moving.  Hell, it even gave you a convenient shadow spot when you looked at your feet to tell you exactly where you were relative to the platform (good for any of those tight-walk spots that the game oh so loved and sucked)  I know Shadows of the Empire didn't let you do that BUT the game had a 3rd Person Mode which is "USE NOW FOR PLATFORMING" obviously.

Metroid Prime not having either as an option is inexcusable, frankly, from all I'm hearing.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 03, 2013, 03:04:11 AM »
SotE had a first-person mode?

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 03, 2013, 05:56:16 AM »
It did, but you really had no reason to use it like ever, because, well, the game had too much platforming sections, tight spots, etc. that 3rd Person Mode was a vastly superior option.

It also had a RESIDENT EVIL CAMERA!!! mode.  I think they called it "Dynamic Camera" acting like it was COOL BECAUSE OF THE ANGLES YOU GET! I seriously tried to play the game several times this way, being a young, naive 13 year old and all that, I thought IT HAD TO BE A GOOD IDEA IF THEY PUT IT IN!  This never lasted more than 15 minutes.

Also had a Top Down camera mode, which...was actually useful for platforming though poor for combat.

...yeah, back to the First Person thing, the game used it several times, but it was only useful when you were in the ship during pre-set flying segments (Asteroid Belt and that other one in the final stage); useless during anything else, compared to 3rd Person mode in any event.

[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: March 03, 2013, 07:07:22 AM »
I honestly remember dynamic camera more than the FPS mode.  All I remember of the later was some wampa raging.

Niji

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 03, 2013, 10:57:41 AM »
Hoosh, finally remembered my ID and password both for this site.

World of Blingcraft: Hellopanda Island Adventure
 Pretty fun so far, rocking that vanity transmog gear and playing the in-game pokemon like a boss.
DC Universe Online: I am a lvl 3 pastrymancer so far.

Pokemon Black & White 2: Almost got my story mode team to lvl 100 9 months later... Just in time for Pokemon DNA Digivolution!

Zenonia 2: Dear god I die so much, but its insanely fun, probably the best true Action RPG since seiken densetsu original 3 (and just as good art! though not quite as stylish). I look forward to the mage class returning in a future Zenonia game so I can resume the series(0 interest because of lack for 3+ so far).

Mugen Souls: Sorta not anywhere yet

Tales of PS3 and overly long introduction chapter: Got bored before I finished the child arc, so, not continuing the game since it failed game development #1 rule.
Nier: Very angry I lose all my power ups after introduction arc. So I skipped ahead and read how it turned now, now I do not wish to continue play lol, as this game isn't metroid and can't get away with that. PHENOMINAL soundtrack and action gameplay, I have no attachment to the characters aside from the book though, a major failing. I've always hated time skips for this reason. (and why I stopped reading one piece)

Dust a Furry tail: Dying to play this, looks very fun.

Ristar: Still 100% fun but emulators don't do it justice, and I really dislike the english version, but no luck finding the japanese version english patched ;C such a different story.

Rocket Knight PS3: Beat it without gold armor power up. Pretty fun, not as good as the first two though, but I felt attatched to the story this time. Really hoping Dynamite Heady gets this treatment one day!

Rayman Orgins(various): VERY FUN I think its the best Rayman since Gold (which didn't work long on my windows 3.1 and 95 comp back in the day...) don't see where the rage is coming from in the community, blows raving rabbits out of the water...

Sonic Generations: GOD DAMNIT my save file keeps auto whiping itself whenever I get so far, its very frustrating i want to unlock super sonic!

League of Legends: God damn I suck at this game now.

Over all conclusion, my reaction times have gone down tremendously so i will be phasing out many types of video games from my willingness to play due to that "practice makes you suck more" bug.
2D/2.5D RPGs, Platformers, Action-RPGs, Brawlers are my bag! Minor Video Game knowledge outside of those!

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: March 03, 2013, 10:11:08 PM »
Xenoblade: Heading towards Sword Valley. Game is decent so far, although there are some areas where it feels like it lags. It definitely wanted to be a spectacle, but it's cast is horrid in a mildly inoffensive way (Reyn was already enough of a idiot used as a bad running gag. They did not need to add Riki too, who is horrible and unlike most mascot characters, seems to be still be getting lines after several intro scenes). They should have made it so someone in the cast is supposedly to be mildly intelligent.

Battles are okay, although they get repetitive. They made the order who learn moves a bit odd in that many of the good ones comes first, followed by a lot of fodder. Trying to get a feel of everyone DL wise (Speed should be like SD 3, setting a random time period as 1 turn, and that period such encompass at least 3 techs probably).

They really want you to fully explore but then punish you by making swimming horrible (press directional button for 5-10 minutes in Eryth Sea while doing nothing else). Not like I am fully exploring. I wish that they threw some of the work they did making jobs (56 jobs in Alcamoth alone????!!) into other sections of the games.
...into the nightfall.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: March 06, 2013, 12:50:20 AM »
I'll name my daughter Yattaf.

Virtue's Last Reward: Spent the last 5 days marathoning this.
The only twists I could figure out from a while away were the deal with UOM and UOW.

This is a better, more interesting 999, until the last two hours where everything goes 100% crazy. One mad plot twist after another for two hours. 999 was kinda like that too, but absolutely not anywhere near that extent! I have seen my fair share of crazy anime stuff (Star Ocean 3 and Drakengard are good ones), and this is one of the best (/worst). I don't know how they could possibly make a third game in the series (it's planned) and keep it relatively sane for most of the game.

The best improvement was the cast; K, Dio, Tenjimoyi and Clover being better than just about anyone in the entire 999 cast (one of them being wasted in the end though) I liked just about everyone but Alice (-_- character design)

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: March 06, 2013, 05:28:07 AM »
Fire Emblem: Eugenics - Just finished Chapter 24.  Today's quiz: Guess who's who between two Dark Fliers.  Skill bonuses are baked in.
Lvl: 10  17
HP:  53  56
Str: 33  28
Mag: 17  15
Skl: 38  26
Spd: 39  31
Lck: 37  24
Def: 23  23
Res: 27  18

Yes, kids are broken.  Left is Cynthia (Chrom x Sumia w/ Aether & Lancefaire), right is Cordelia huffing an Energy Drop for +2 Str who is considered one of the best characters in the game.  Cynthia did one of the extremely rare wreckings of the boss of Stage 24 when she was listed as doing 0 damage, and practically killed the high-HP boss anyway with a friggin' Javelin vs. a Tomahawk.  (Aether + critical kicked in, of course.  Two Aethers actually, because check out that skill stat.)

I'm mostly using the adults anyway for flavor reasons, but yeesh.  Probably not quite as good on Classic since leveling them up is a bit more dangerous, but even in a no-grinding-Risen game, if you wait until Chapter 19-23 or so to actually collect the kids, they can potentially inherit awesome lvl. 5 / 15 upgraded class skills and will have base stats of broken, and you'll be overlevel for the kid recruit missions anyway - so you can send the other kids to mop up enemies whom they are more than a match for, yet are technically lower level than.  It's probably good for sanity's sake that kids are a tad uber, gives them a reason to exist.  The only kids I've seriously used in Chapter 22 onward have been Kjelle (Virion & Sully, made her a Great Knight) and Cynthia, since I didn't want to bench too many adults for the kids (Maribelle must simply endure the humiliation), but since I use the kids on any Risen map I do and they gain levels like crazy, I can probably catch 'em up for any aftergame content I feel like doing.  It's probably okay that kids are broken since it does take more work to build them up, it's just vaguely insulting that the kids are way more awesome than the adult warriors of now.

Also, in my playthrough, Lucina brought back some kind of elite teen girl squad, as I've recruited almost all the potential girls and no future males.  Noire is pretty funny, and better at Virion at everything (Astra & Vengeance on an Archer!  MWAHAHAHA!)...  except...  being the daughter of Lon'qu & Tharja, she has no freakin' Strength, and Virion was lucky to be Strength-blessed in my playthrough.  And of course Virion has an S-Support with Sully who is pretty awesome at tanking and killing everything.  Severa inherited Sol & Galeforce from Vaike & Cordelia, but she's also a brat, and I have no idea what to do with her on promotion - Hero seems pointless since I already have Sol and don't care about Axebreaker. Maybe Knight ->Paladin?  (Hopefully she won't lose her sword levels from Mercenary...).  Female Morgan I grudgingly went with Lucina over Anna to get more broken stats & skills, so she's pretty good - more of a physical beatdown type than my Avatar.  (Although the Lucina pairup is still amusing even if the writing is bland - especially since it happened AFTER, for me, the awkward C22 scene between Lucina & the Avatar.  Meanwhile, act casual about your grandkid who's like 7 years younger than you, Chrom.)

Meanwhile.  In FIRE EMBLEM PLOT nitpicks.  Plenty of plot fails to rant on of course, but this is just a nitpick.
Lucina claimed that her father taught her her sword skills.  Right.  It's also strongly implied that everything went to shit around the time she was ~16-17 or so (And the various other kids are 14-15).  Also fine.  Yet the big confrontation with Validar, in this timeline, happens right after the Walhart arc finished up, and any siblings to Lucina haven't been born yet!  Even if Grima's world conquest takes 16 years to complete, Lucina certainly wouldn't have learnt anything from her father, who'd have been rotting in the ground for the vast majority of her life.  Not to mention that some of the sibling chats clearly seem to imply both kids knew of Chrom.  Okay, fine, so the big confrontation with Validar happens much later in the original timeline, I guess they're much more blase about searching for Fire Emblem jewels or don't think it's relevant or Validar doesn't have !Avatar cluing him in on what to do to force this now.  Or, more accurately, the writers didn't want to pause time yet again, and then have a "FOURTEEN YEARS LATER" segment or something to do Chapters 21 onward in.  Yeah that's pretty much it.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: March 06, 2013, 05:36:20 AM »
The kids being broken if you actually get them caught up makes sense. I found most of them really trashy because of how far behind they start (and the later I got them, the worse, despite the higher raw stats) so they're probably balanced around reasonably efficient playthroughs (if probably a bit less direct than is my preference, where they kinda suck).

Yeah I was a bit baffled at that little plot point too. The explanation you offer about "knowledge from future = force confrontation faster" is the only thing that makes sense, I think.

Maybe.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: March 06, 2013, 04:24:38 PM »
FF6 eviltype- Just got to the FC. I'm a bit underleveled (L23 or so) which is making things adventuresome.

The Cranes, Flame Eater, and Ultros 1 have been the hardest bosses by far. Ultros 1 needs tweaking; Banon can be OHKOed through defending due to how harsh his level penalty is. I have generally had some struggles/lost to randoms, but nothing too major overall.

New thoughts compared to the last time I ran through ET:

Locke has been massively improved. Sage buffed his weapons again. Not only does he get a capture weapon super early, all of his long range and unique weapons got a much needed buff in offense. Capture is worth using period; you can get some very nice pieces of equipment early while doing respectable damage. I am going to run Gogo in the WoR to see how stealing shakes out. Notable grabs:

-Diamond Vest from Rider/Gold Armor from Narshe Kefka
-Beret from the greasemonkies (I think) near South Figaro
-Tempest from the boss on the minecart in the Magitek factory

I kind of wish Sage would tweak Vigor to matter more so that it wasn't just dumping magic into PC's 90% of the itme with level bonuses, but the hack is so well balanced as is that I can't bitch too much. Also that'd make Hyper Wrists pretty broken. Also? The Air Anchor is very much worth using on the FC. I stole one from the air force fight, it is now MT.

Relm was pretty ubered on paper. She had autoshell, 60 magic, and good stats thanks to me getting lucking with rare steals. I was still not impressed in practiced, joining halfway before the FC with no magic sucks. Blah. She's still a total project character.I'm mostly going to avoid using a Moogle Charm in the WoR. I did that last game and I missed on a lot of the randoms.

This remains one of the best fan hacks I've played. Play it!
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...