Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing 2013?  (Read 186564 times)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing 2013?
« Reply #800 on: April 01, 2013, 07:21:22 PM »
FE13 - Laurent's paralogue is a -monstrosity- if you want to get all the treasure, though I think I have devised a plan to get all I want from it. Does another oasis appear after the wave with the uberspeed Falcon Knights shows up? This would be a dick move for the ages.

Also, my Kjelle is hilarious. L9 Myrmidon with Outdoor Fighter/Indoor Fighter/Tantivy/Avoid +10 = 20% hit rates on people with a WTA and she's one-rounding things with a -Bronze Sword-. What the fuck, children PCs.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: April 01, 2013, 08:38:36 PM »
Who'd you pair up to get the kids?

Also on that note, FE13 beaten. Gonna replay on lunatic with a full on "make the kids as op as possible" run that involves abuse of grinding maps to make sure they inherit the skills I want. I will attempt to keep the grinding to just that, and to getting the supports in the first place I suppose. But we'll see how well that works out for me, Lunatic is pretty brutal.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: April 01, 2013, 08:58:23 PM »
For Kjelle, I paired up Sully and Frederick. Frederick got reclassed to Wyvern Knight and he was L10+, so he passed Tantivy to her, while Sully gave her Outdoor Fighter. Indoor Fighter came from her base class and then Myrming it up = Avoid +10. This is a hilarious combo and she's at 26 speed right now to boot. >_> The bases on the kids are soooooooooooooooo absurd.

For other people, Laurent is Miriel+Lon'qu, and Laurent got Astra. Chrom married Sumia and Robin married Henry (^_^), while Cordelia and Kellam are an item and Tharja married Libra. I cannot comprehend how do you get an archer out of -that-.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 09:00:14 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: April 01, 2013, 09:21:56 PM »
Really the amazement is more that Noire can fight at all.  Archer is about as close as it gets to non-magical civilian, and Villager would be a tad unfair, so.  (Unsurprisingly she is a really good archer, although I'm not sure if Libra has anything to offer there.)

Is the Libra / Tharja support any good?  Most of Libra's supports in my Lunatic playthrough have been reliably boring, just as say Lon'qu is reliably amusing, but Tharja is a weird enough match that I could see it potentially being interesting.  (Libra / Cherche: Libra meets up with Minerva and makes friends with all god's creatures or something, yawn.  I was hoping for Axe Buddys or something.)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 09:24:34 PM by SnowFire »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: April 02, 2013, 12:09:59 AM »
Libra/Tharja is kinda serious and sorta boring, though the wedding support is pretty amazing. It certainly doesn't compare to Tharja's better stuff, like her B Support with Robin that had me in stitches or Henry, which wins by proxy due to Henry and someone else seriously unbalanced. Libra wastes Tharja's Hot Topic Wiccan gimmick so bad it's kinda sad, and it doesn't even delve deeper into what Libra's about.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: April 02, 2013, 08:09:12 AM »
FF5 - iOS port goooooo.  Turns out it is more remake that straight port on a code level!  They didn't just take new sprites and slap them in.  You move around the field with more free movement instead of huge goals like your normal 16-Bit RPG.  Also more touch interface friendly menus (no shovk here).  Still seems balance wise is a straigh port valance wise, but it is a chunk more work than I was expecting done to it.  Sort of a happy medium between the total reworking of FF3/4 DS and the void of change that was previous FF ports. 

Not sure if this kills me pushing FF:D since FF5ish was the selling point I went with all the time and now well there is FF5++ on the same platforms.  So I say, get both if you can.

Only negative I think I see is that unlike FF:D there is no choice in how the D-Pad interface works.  It is the one I preferred, but I recall Djinn saying he appreciated the choice that Dimensions offered.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: April 02, 2013, 02:52:06 PM »
FE13 - Morgan's idea of forging bonds of friendship and affection with his mom: setting up a deadly ground trap. Robin's reaction to her son's mentality: approval and tips on how to be truly evil next time. This cast makes the Looney Tunes look balanced and sane. I'm increasingly certain this game is actually a comedy - it'd explain the time travelling, at least.

Bobbin Cranbud

• Denizen
    • View Profile
    • The Writing of Joshua Cole
« Reply #807 on: April 02, 2013, 07:40:51 PM »
Recettear - Finished the maingame on my second cycle. I misunderstood how time passed in the village and dungeons initially, which led to one Recette living in a cardboard box dream, but after that it was pretty easy to balance the different aspects of gameplay. I'm fairly sure I could've completed it in one run. I can tell there's interesting mechanical depth here, as well as more story, but I'm not sure the gameplay is the type that interests me enough to find either. It was a cute game acquired at a low price, that probably suffices.

Sleeping Dogs - Best GTAlike I've played. Melee combat is a blast with Batman: Arkham-style fighting, the driving mechanics are good, the parkour mechanics are good, I love Hong Kong as a setting, and the main character being a conflicted undercover cop suits my tastes better than either the more straight-laced police work of L.A. Noire or the straight-up criminality of GTA or Saint's Row. The Face system gatewaying purchases is... interesting? I'm torn between liking it and not, and ultimately think it could have been handled better, but it's cool they incorporated it. Weapon combat is the only thing I don't care for. Maybe because they show up rarely and are quickly lost, I can't get a grip on the rhythm of melee weapons and tend to drop them to continue fighting unarmed, even though they're technically better. The gunplay is imprecise in a way that's probably intentional, or maybe just doesn't feel as good compared to the slickness of the unarmed combat system.

League of Legends - A friend of mine scored a pentakill! I helped! This is likely to be the highlight of my League career. ;)
Read my webnovel, Eye Opener, now available on RoyalRoad.

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: April 02, 2013, 08:20:22 PM »
Atelier Ayesha:

I tried to Barrel~ but the barrel refused to Barrel~.  Outside of that major gripe, pretty standard entry in the series.  The alchemy component of the game took a few steps back compared to Totori/Meruru, but the rest of the game is more streamlined to make it easier for new comers of the series to jump right in.  I still miss the Iris/Mana Kheima of RPG first/Alchemy second structure.  At least they're getting better with character designs with every new game.

Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory:

This game is rated T.

The T must stand for Trancey.

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: April 02, 2013, 09:33:18 PM »
REVENGEANCE: who needs silly fantasy games like FE13 when I have realistic games like MGR, beat up a crazy robot arm french lady who was much easier than the sentient robot chainsaw dog miniboss earlier.
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: April 03, 2013, 01:02:56 AM »
Hi Psy!!
Haven't you been away from even longer?

It's a bit disappointing to see WA XF being so averse to challenge playthroughs because of gimmick battles. Everywhere.
A Gadgeeter SCC could have maybe been possible so far, but it would have required a ridiculous amount of grinding for gems.

I think I'm in 1-8. I unlocked the next classes.
Gimmick battles often aren't very interesting. You often get:
- Game tells you to do X. You do X and there's no challenge.
- Game tells you to do X. You do X and it's kind of a pain (-> Protect UOM mission, stealth mission)
Now for the good ones:
- Game tells you to do X. You don't do X and can still win. 1-2 + That mission where you invade a fort were like that.
- Game tells you to do X. You do X and the battle is still a decent and interesting challenge. Only the "escape in 99 turns" mission has been like that so far.

I still like the game but doubt I'd ever replay it. I feel FF3o handled this kind of class changing (-> changing classes all the time is optimal) in a far more elegant way. It was a good compromise between "You absolutely need THIS class for this battle (XF)" and "Just pick your favourite class and never even change if you want to (FF5, FFT)"

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: April 03, 2013, 01:31:22 AM »
I've done several challenge runs of XF (3 PCs only, base equipment only, and a FF5 fiesta-type deal). It hates SCCs with a passion, yes, but there are plenty of options past that.

I'm not really opposed to the FF3-style but the good news is that the game is almost done with job forcing. There's some occasional primary skill forcing still to come (Fantastica's MP damage comes to mind for a couple fights), and puzzle maps may always require specifics, but aside from that the last non-puzzle map that actually requires a class is 1-8, I believe, though plenty of others may necessitate a change in tactics.

Dark Souls - Fenrir plays elfgames, elf plays fenrirgames. Anyway I beat Quelaag (who gets added to the "good boss" list for anyone keeping track). Sen's Fortress is pretty fun, if a bit long with no bonfire (unless I missed one), at least up to what appears to be the boss. Soul gain here seems significantly higher (there was even some wussy archer who gave 4k, wtf), I guess that's your reward for advancing the plot? My halberd is +9 now and it's pretty awesome, I also made a divine weapon so I can deal with the catacombs eventually or something.

Also, the firelink shrine keeper is dead. Okay. Let's see what the people hanging around her have to say about it... nothing? Aren't bonfires and their keepers kind of a big deal in your barely-defined setting, game? Oh well.

Star Ocean 4 - Beat up some cultists (who learned that ice weakness is a bad thing to have), now I'm fighting at the colosseum, soon I will train a bunny. Why is the mage fun to control? Is this still Star Ocean? (In fairness, they might well be fun in SO3 too, but that starting level, no thanks.)

Marathon - Beat on the highest difficulty setting. Took about 11 hours or so. I never did do this back in the day so this rates as a reasonable accomplishment for me. It was actually a bit easier than I expected. I'm certainly not better at FPS gameplay than I was when I was a teenager, but I think I am a lot better at analysing which weapons work well in which situations which is a ridiculously big deal in this game. All that Mega Man paid off!

I'll probably choose another game to replace the last one there, now, but not sure what. Not a 360 game, I'm switching game discs often enough as is. <.<

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: April 03, 2013, 02:03:24 AM »
Oh good.
It's not like I'm ever not going to use a Fantastica anyway.

Blue guy is starting to become crazy and Petrus is actually kind of an asshole. I think Petrus has something to say about it if you talk to him several times, or if you talk to him right before she dies? Hmm. I forgot.

Divine equipment for the catacombs almost feels like cheating but I still use it almost all the time >_> (Like the secret way to lure one of the most annoying bosses to his death)
Skeletons stop raisin back if you kill the necromancer nearby that's raising them, and the necromancers never respawn. It kind of forces you to ignore the skeletons and rush ahead to kill the necromancer (and into traps) I had to do it this way the first time through.

There is indeed a hidden bonfire in Sen's Fortress. But once you're up to the boss the elevator is a better shortcut.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: April 03, 2013, 02:08:18 AM »
Dark Souls - Fenrir plays elfgames, elf plays fenrirgames. Anyway I beat Quelaag (who gets added to the "good boss" list for anyone keeping track). Sen's Fortress is pretty fun, if a bit long with no bonfire (unless I missed one), at least up to what appears to be the boss. Soul gain here seems significantly higher (there was even some wussy archer who gave 4k, wtf), I guess that's your reward for advancing the plot? My halberd is +9 now and it's pretty awesome, I also made a divine weapon so I can deal with the catacombs eventually or something.

Also, the firelink shrine keeper is dead. Okay. Let's see what the people hanging around her have to say about it... nothing? Aren't bonfires and their keepers kind of a big deal in your barely-defined setting, game? Oh well.

Sen's Fortress: there is a bonfire on the top floor, but it's kind of hidden. Assuming you've reached the firebomb area, poke around at the edge of the roof (after you've killed the firebomber!) There's one place where the parapet's broken off and you can step off onto a ledge (some careful camera work should let you see what's below, so it's not a blind jump). I totally missed this my first time through the game. Even so, there is a shortcut through the place. And the archer is a unique enemy who drops a unique sword. Probably you killed him before he got a chance to use it.

Firelink: you may have met her murderer before. If you talk to him enough after freeing him from prison in Undead Parish, it becomes blatantly apparent that he's the responsible party once the murder happens. You will be able to reactivate the bonfire eventually, once you've cleared the zone after Sen's.

Fenrirs beat me to it, oh well. *shakes fist*
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 02:13:18 AM by El Cideon »

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: April 03, 2013, 02:40:17 AM »
The Black Eye Orb you got from the Fire Keeper corpse will tell you exactly when to do the thing it needs to do.  Just make sure to always have it on you.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: April 03, 2013, 11:32:33 AM »
Fire Emblem: The Self-Insert Who Shagged Me - Laurent paralogue vanquished! The trick really is to control the flow of reinforcements, which is closely binded to the houses you visit. The last wave with Rally Strength Warriors, 27 Speed Falcon Knights and 40+ Attack Berserkers is still quite scary in a vaccuum, but you'll manage if you're prepared for it in advance. Gave Henry a Speedwing and Narga's Tear for reasons of: Henry and Second Sealed Laurent into a Dark Mage. I'll miss Tomefaire, but the extra levels for growth and Dark Magic itself are way too tempting.

EDIT: Laurent wants mommy to teach him how to set alcohol on fire. D'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw. =3

Also, Myrmidon Kjelle is currently sporting something like 30 Speed and 20something+ Strength and she's level -15-. If you care to optimize children growths with Second Seal shenanigans, they get impressively stupid. Even though I benched Frederick a couple maps ago, he -really- served me well, handing her Tantivy. Did I mention she can get up to +30 avoid from skills? Yeah, right now she can get up to effectively 92 Avoid after stacking up Outdoor/Indoor Fighter, Tantivy and Avoid +10. She's the wind with a pair of brick walls for punching gloves.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 05:08:18 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: April 03, 2013, 02:16:05 PM »
Defender's quest: Trying to get the last 20 gold stars or so. I finally broke down and turned EXP up to 300.  A lot of the missions you just flat out don't do enough damage at normal levels.

Oh yeah. Gref: You stopped playing right before the game got hard. I had trouble beating the last set of maps on *normal*, let alone extreme. I still haven't beat the final map, but that is strictly a laziness thing.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #817 on: April 03, 2013, 09:25:01 PM »
Mana Khemia 2: popped this in for something colorful to play with my friends. Ulrika's path is a hit! I can only wonder how well Raze would have went over, based on Lily's reputation around here. Gameplay is still Mana Khemia goodness, only now there's a circular Timed Card gauge. I forgot how much I loved this battle system. The story's also pretty funny. Nothing new to say that hasn't been gushed over before.

Mugen Souls: replaying this one, gonna get DL numbers this time because... fuck I dunno. I tried to just put it away and forget about it, but it's a surprisingly fitting game for stat-topicing and I keep wanting to. So far, this is the only Compile Heart game I like.

FE13: Played a few more maps! Lissa X Vaike OTP! Everyone else: don't care, Vaike is the only character that matters. And I like Lissa's dress. OTP! Will play more during slow days at work.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: April 03, 2013, 09:43:24 PM »
Death's Log, Chapter 4:

"You know, it occurred to me, I'm suppose to be following Dust to wherever he takes me, according to the Crowfather, but Dust has taken me nowhere.  I just follow a golden dot on my map which appears wherever I need to go unless I am in a dungeon.  How strangely convenient...

In any event, I arrive on the other-side of the Tree of Death in...the Tree of Life.  Was that not in the Forge Lands?  Nevertheless, it seems I meet the Crowfather here one last time, telling me I need to open the well of souls with a key.  A key found in this very land called Lost Light, which is run by the angels.  I thought they lived in the White City?    I am informed that the secret was so great, they made a second city and had a select few watch it here.  Logical thoughts, I must say.  He points me in the direction of the Crystal Spire to find my next destination.

In travelling there, I am attacked by Angels with black wings.  Oh boy, corrupted angels, just what I need.  I kill one, two more pop up.  I kill them, four more pop up...I see where this is going, perhaps I should cancel all my appointments over the next fortnight?  Yes, I am aware how long this is, but these angels are a persistent bunch.  IN a bit of a surprise, an ally comes to my side; an Angel who I later learn is named Nathaniel.  He aids me in dispatching his former brethren and explains to me that Lost Light has been swallowed by Corruption and only the Archon atop the Crystal Spire can fix this.  Very well, I shall meet this Archon.

In expecting a long arduous dungeon to reach the top, I am surprised in that it took only an elevator ride, some wall climbing, and an explosive rock to clear away to achieve this.  I will not complain about this outcome.  I meet this Archon who tells me about the current situation with the Hellguard, as in the elite Angelic warriors and their task on Earth.  It would appear they have been locked out of the White City...weird seeing as the first game just said the White City was destroyed.  Nevertheless, I am to search for the Rod of Arafel, it seems, so the Archon can clear corruption.  He warns me that Earth is entirely at War's fault...how many times have I heard that?

I go to Earth to get the Rod of Arafel, this wartorn land, and run into Uriel of the Hellguard...a character from War's previous adventures...wait, this adventure takes place prior to that?  Why did not anyone tell me this?  That changes the whole perspective of the situation!  The developers are going to hear from my Apocalyptic Lawyers about this...or would had not the company gone bankrupt already.  For shame.

Nevertheless, following the trail of dead angels, I am fighting various undead beasts along the way.  Fortunately, it seems there are various angelic weapons, one rapid fire divine laser and another that creates holy detonations I can set off remotely.  A straight forward quest for once, and a nice breath of fresh air as all I need to do is fire at them, and they die.  After recovering all pieces of the Rod...which is split into three...again with that number...I bid Uriel a farewell and headback to give the Rod to the Archon.

He clears the corruption in that part of Lost Light, tells me to meet the scribe, and hands me a Griffon to do so with.  I do nothing but ride the griffon; my brother war gets a big epic battle against angels on it, I get a mere joy ride.  I am unsure who comes out ahead in this between the two of us.  Nevertheless, I continue in the library of sorts to clear out more corruption, and find the Void Walker, an item that creates portals at select spots...but only blue ones.  I question why not orange ones but that is not relevant.  There are also at least six different variations of opponents here.  That is thrice the amount in any other area I have been to, it would appear the universe has taken off it's gloves and wants me dead.

The scribe himself is big, overweight, and sits in his chair...and is the greatest opponent I have yet to face  I blame the tentacle in his stomach.  Fortunately, he sits in a room with portals for the Void Walker, so I use his own power against him, an interesting tactic if I say so myself.  I threaten to take his life, but he warns me of the situation, that Corruption is spreading, and he has not been taken, but the Archon has, and is trying to use it to further his own means as much as possible.

...I believe we call this a plot twist.  I must redouble my efforts and slay the archon since he is asking for this."

And now that Death's log is over...

FE13: Played a few more maps! Lissa X Vaike OTP! Everyone else: don't care, Vaike is the only character that matters. And I like Lissa's dress. OTP! Will play more during slow days at work.

You say this now, but when you meet Henry, your opinion will change.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: April 03, 2013, 11:12:48 PM »
With an OTP like that, Djinn is legally required to recruit Owain ASAP and use him as much as humanly possible.

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: April 04, 2013, 01:19:35 AM »
Free Demon's Souls on PS+. Dare I? Dare I not?
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: April 04, 2013, 02:43:25 AM »
It's not really a game I'd recommend due to various bullshit mechanics and a generally less forgiving/convenient design philosophy than its successor...but hey, can't beat the price.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: April 04, 2013, 02:53:01 AM »
Yea you can.  I will pay you to play xcom instead Shale.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: April 04, 2013, 03:12:00 AM »
You know it rarely works.

Fire Emblem: Arnold Schwarzenegger Comedy Hour - More children paralogues! Derpynthia is the strongest indeed. Severa paralogue was a waste of time considering the PC recruited, but at least I have a L15 Dark Mage Laurent sporting 20+s across the board. This is pretty unbalanced.   

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: April 04, 2013, 05:22:37 AM »
Just because it doesn't work often that is no reason for me to not trust in Shale and his overwhelming good taste.