Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing 2013?  (Read 186658 times)

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing 2013?
« Reply #475 on: February 14, 2013, 08:38:16 AM »
How do you go into a KH game and not just assume there will be a metric fuckton of things you don't care about?

I actually liked 1. The rest barely skated by, really. Figured it'd be more of the same. Anyway, playing it due to putting it up to chat vote and Grefter ballot stuffing it.

Hey Grefbro, just letting you know.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #476 on: February 14, 2013, 09:31:34 AM »
I've talked at length about how KH could have been a legitimately good game, but Square's gotta be Square.  Apparently there's not enough of a motivation to do things without critical mass of animu man-ladies.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 15, 2013, 08:02:41 PM »
RS3 Hack - So I went off to do some old SaGa game quest and decide to fetch that Kusanagi... and ends up getting ambushed by King Sei for no particular reason. I mean hey, this Kusanagi is not even your sword!

And somehow this event eventually leads into Michael pulling off a Venus on Julian and Monica, with Julian end up beaten up by Michael and Monica snapping at her brother, then a pathetic boss fight against Michael.

And just when I feel this is riduclously silly and couldn't get any siller, Venus herself shows up too, with Paul and Nina as her victims. And unlike Michael, who is pathetic as a boss, Venus is strong with MT ID spell and Bloody Mary which hits 4 digit damage. On top of that, Paul and Nina is forced intot he team for this fight, and I did use them at all, resulting in me fighting effectively with only 3 people. Whcih is crap, and end up in a coupel of reset. Thank god venus has only 65536 HP, which is retty low for an end game boss. Managed to pull the fight off by relying on Light Sword's awesom deflect.

In the end, Duke Zveik is th ebiggest victim, none of his sons gets gto marry at all.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 15, 2013, 10:52:39 PM »
FE:A

Going around trying to get as many people married as possible right now.

Donnel had a kid. The two prove to be nothing alike, since its Lissa's kid as well, Owain. Owain ended up with Lissa's end turn heal and now rivals his dad for MVP unit. Having two of these fother muckers running around by themselves is just silly. Shame Owain didn't inherit Donnel's weapon saving skill. Other then that he's a beast. The description for the Tree branch says it is ill suited for combat, well... they never saw Donnel smacking bitches with one apparently.

Gotta find more kids. I just recruited a dude (Gregor) with a Nightwing mask! He's going places.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 16, 2013, 03:43:08 AM »
I expected people to complain about things but not that much about 0/5 in design for Suikoden?
Squirells are like Jogurt, they only appear in one game, they're easily missable and they suck tremendously. Their status as anime mascots is dubious.
Suikoden 1/2 have asian music/ town atmosphere but very european character designs. (Suikoden 3 is the opposite) Suikoden 2 Luc and Flik? Not bishie. (Seed's one though)

FF6 getting a 0/5 in design is more puzzling. In 10 minutes the following people join your team: Kupek, Kupop, Kumama, Kuku, Kutan, Kupan,
Kushu, Kurin, Kuru, and Kamog.
What the hell, Fenrir. What the hell.

Persona 2 Innocent Sin: Talking to flowers. Looks like it's not even worth the 3000 yen spent to spread the rumor.
Demon conversations at least aren't horribly messed up like in Persona 2 EP, and they can lead to amusing results. In retrospect, I've never really talked to demons in SMT just for fun, except in this one.
- Demon: Which language should I learn? (Japanese, English, Cantonese, Esperanto)
- Tatsuya: Esperanto
- Demon: *angry* NOBODY SPEAKS ESPERANTO

Gravity Rush: Fell in love with this game. I don't really know about gameplay yet, but simple movement in a videogame has very rarely felt better and more meaningful. Just Cause 2, with its grappling hook and parachute, is somewhat close I guess.
This is probably the most important aspect in a sandbox game, most other sandboxes being pretty much dead for me because of those two I guess.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 03:46:11 AM by Fenrir »

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: February 16, 2013, 03:44:55 AM »
They do join you 10 minutes in but they also leave like five minutes after that, so there's that.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: February 16, 2013, 04:00:20 AM »
Probably gets the design to 1/5 though, especially since one of them does eventually rejoin.

You can also argue Relm to be a loli, but I don't think she's sexualised enough to impact the Fenrirscale. (Thankfully.)

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: February 16, 2013, 04:19:28 AM »
Yeah, nothing wrong with Relm, she's just a little girl.
She somehow has that perfectly healthy relationship with an octopus. Amazing, Square.

If NIS had made the game the developer would 4th wall breaking - wink at you during the scene, and you would look back at him with nothing but disgust. He'd then hang his head in shame, citing having to pay the bill as an excuse. (This is pretty much what happens in Phantasy Star 0 for the DS)

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: February 16, 2013, 04:44:23 AM »
Despite being designed by Amano, FF6 designs generally avoid being really animu somehow. They're just usually fuckin weird looking instead.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: February 16, 2013, 12:17:28 PM »
That's because Amano's art tends to look weird in general and not very reminiscent of generic anime/manga style. It's only after someone like Nomura goes through and redraws the Amano characters in a more conventional style that the characters start to look noticably animu.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: February 16, 2013, 04:28:05 PM »
Honestly, the "Mascot' thing is not really anime, all things considered.  Western Media does it all the damn time too.  Some examples:

-He-man's Orco
-That little cat thing in Thunder Cats (haven't watched the show much)
-Yoda, R2-D2 and C3P0
-Pretty much everything Disney EVER
-Rocket Raccoon and Groot in Guardians of the Galaxy
-HERBIE in the 70s Fantastic Four
-Perry the Platepus
-Scooby Doo (probably by far the most blatant example like ever; the show is about 4 Meddling Kids and their dog, and the entire franchise is named after the dog...)

It's not an Anime specific thing in the slightest; they're all over the place.  You could argue some of the above aren't actually "mascots", but then a lot of those "Mascot Characters" in anime have the same thing. 
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: February 16, 2013, 07:52:13 PM »
I was more specifically thinking of mascots as these weird cute fluffy things, like Poshul or whatever the heck that thing is in XS.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #487 on: February 16, 2013, 10:32:11 PM »
Wouldn't it have to be more prominently featured in advertising and such to be considered a proper Mascot, though? I think Poshul qualifies the least of every example given so far...

I do agree that 90% of the design/plot stuff that people are squarely calling 'anime' is a misnomer, though. It's trivial to find examples of the exact same thing in Western media, particularly older 70s/80s Western media before "JAPAN" started becoming a big craze. I don't think most of these design elements are unique to any one country. It doesn't make them any less offensive or tired, but it's getting boring to see "ANIMU!" as an accepted argument for disliking something. At least articulate a real thought.

Oh hey, I play gaems:

Walking Dead: Got this for Christmas, and have finally gotten back to it. The first two chapters have been pretty amazing, but I lost my save since it can't be transferred from one PS3 to another with a memory stick (HATE!).

I decided to just replay the first chapters again since it's a short enough adventure game and I was digging the plot/characters. To mix it up, I tried performing all the wrong/opposite actions compared to my first playthrough. The result was really disappointing. The game is a LOT more linear than my first impression. There's a few instances where I expected that my dialog choices would actually result in a different story branch, but honestly all roads lead to the same place. So far, there has been exactly -one- choice that changed anything more significant than a friendship meter.

Stopped once I got up to Ch3, so at least I'll have fun playing new sections again, but I was still hoping for a more varied experience from an adventure game.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: February 16, 2013, 11:57:05 PM »
I think I agree with Djinn here.  The Fanservicey Female is another one.

Case in point, Comics.  There have been too many examples of females being oversexualized in comics, some comics even being specifically for the sake of just drawing the female in suggestive positions.  See here for an all too obvious example.

Western games aren't any better.  Just GIS for Mortal Kombat Kitana and you'll see what I mean.

Yeah, this is not an anime trend thing.  This is a general trend we see in developers worldwide.  It's very easy to go "Anime" and "Japan!" and I often do this, but in some cases, the west isn't any better about this (hell, in some cases it's worse.  As shameless a game as Bayonetta is, it never actually shows any of he naughty bits of the character, always conveniently censored by the special effects, etc.  Flipside, look at God of War, where the game has multiple cases of frontal topless torso shots of females, or the Athenian Oracle with her see-thru shirt showing very visible breasts and nipples.  To say nothing of Dante's Inferno's DEMO on top o that...)

Now, the STYLE of fanservice might be a different story.  I can't think of many western cases offhand that portray Underaged Female Panty Shots, on the otherhand...Xenosaga MOMO.

And like Djinn said, I agree it doesn't "excuse" it in any way, but this just means "chastise both" rather than "blame the easier target!"
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 12:00:29 AM by Meeplelard »

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: February 17, 2013, 12:05:00 AM »
Well no one defends comics doing this shit; I just ignore the medium altogether because of its distasteful portrayal of women (when it has them at all).

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: February 17, 2013, 12:12:46 AM »
It has little to do with defending the source material and more sniping at one for having the quality when it's a running trend.

Can you really go "This game has fan-service females, ANIME TREND!" when a western developer is no better in this regard?

Doesn't defend anime for doing this, just means it's not a trait of the medium in question specifically.  Again, the angle of fan-service can determine whether it qualifies that or not; style over substance or something.  Like I said, as far as I know, Loli Panty Shots are an anime-only fan-service thing (and yes, anime deserves roasting for this alone!), and no, I'm not gonna research if there's enough western counter examples because seriously, what the hell guys?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 12:14:35 AM by Meeplelard »

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: February 17, 2013, 12:32:17 AM »
Generally, I'd say I associate Japanese-style stuff with lolis (it's just not really a NA thing) and the strange breast bouncing stuff that's in like Endless Frontier (and other SRW). The style of humor is different related to men/women interactions as well (this is mentioned). It's just different, it's not that it is horrible to have a lot of anime qualities, but trying to imply that there aren't certain styles that apply to Japan vs. NA is something I disagree with. It is just something you embrace as a stylistic quality of Japanese stuff.

I think advertising prominence disqualifies most mascot characters. <_< Chocobos!

That said, I think a silly list is being overanalyzed just a tad.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #492 on: February 17, 2013, 12:44:57 AM »
I'm not actually analyzing Fenrir's list. I love Fenrir's list. I'm just responding to the responses, which all seem to espouse some seriously grating viewpoints.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: February 17, 2013, 12:51:41 AM »
Isn't over-analyzing exactly what the DL does to EVERYTHING though!?

That said, that was what I tried to get across but failed; the style of fanservice is what determines "Anime!" or not, for example, not the actual fanservice itself.  The two examples you mentioned are indeed a lot more anime than anything else, so yeah.   Not just fanservice, it's all across.  Even for things like "Displaying a Gluttonous Appettite" would be done very different west vs. east, but they get the same trait across either way.

Hence why I said "style of Fan-service is what matters" as opposed to "Are there fanservice designed characters?" 

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: February 17, 2013, 01:20:04 AM »
the objectifying women thing isn't an east/west thing...it's an 'is our target audience teenage boys' thing.  It manifests itself in different ways in different regions, and it manifests itself in plenty of media (harlequin romance novels are aimed neither at teens nor males, for example) designed for other target audiences, but if you're judging it on sheer blatant wish-fulfillment and sexual objectification, it goes back to designing for that demographic.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: February 17, 2013, 01:33:39 AM »
Well, a large part of the gaming crowd in Japan is women too (including in particular the mainstream RPG titles, though I'd imagine certain specific niches such as SRW skew more male). So it's more than just "designing for a demographic". Might be a marketing thing in that there are certain levels of fanservice that will bring in young men without scaring off anyone else, might have something to do with the designers themselves, which skew very male indeed.

THAT SAID, I don't really care why it's done. I do care when it's done, and in particular when it's done in a way that is off-putting (though that is a bit of "well I know it when I see it"... definitely includes sexualised child characters though!). And I think there is a certain style of eyeroll-worthy fanservice which is very "anime", though yes, of course the west has its own. (And if anyone thinks I'm biased specifically against Japanese games you really haven't been paying attention.)

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: February 17, 2013, 01:37:31 AM »
However, the point is that anime used to appeal to teenage males in a slightly awesome way, and now it seems to be more appealing to Japanese otaku.  (For all that I know there are still plenty of American fans of modern anime, grumble grumble, get off my lawn, etc.)

* 1980s & 90s anime stereotypes for teens: Rent this from the video store to get cursing, blood everywhere, characters actually dying unlike anything American, and nudity.
* 2010s anime stereotype: Less nudity & ridiculous fountains of blood, more underage sexualized lolis & shota.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: February 17, 2013, 01:46:24 AM »
Isn't over-analyzing exactly what the DL does to EVERYTHING though!?

That said, that was what I tried to get across but failed; the style of fanservice is what determines "Anime!" or not, for example, not the actual fanservice itself.  The two examples you mentioned are indeed a lot more anime than anything else, so yeah.   Not just fanservice, it's all across.  Even for things like "Displaying a Gluttonous Appettite" would be done very different west vs. east, but they get the same trait across either way.

Hence why I said "style of Fan-service is what matters" as opposed to "Are there fanservice designed characters?"

Being animu as fuck is more than their horrifying fanservice.  It's also things like:

-Ridiculous character designs with a thousand zippers and you're not sure how they get in and out of them!
-Convoluted, overwrought storytelling where every character hides a dark secret so they can reveal it in their Very Own Part of the Story!
-Intergender interaction going on like it does in Japan, regardless of where the protagonists are supposed to be from!
-Everyone is 17!
-That fucking thing that they do when someone's supposed to be mad.
-Characters only having three facial features: jaw shape, hair, and eye color.

I could go on.  Saying "Animu as fuck" is a convenient shorthand for me listing off all the times one or more of these things shows up and makes me hate the thing I'm talking about. I'm sure that someone could write a firefox plugin for you that would replace the phrase "animu as fuck" with the list I just provided if it really makes you cry over it that much.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #498 on: February 17, 2013, 02:17:42 AM »

Being animu as fuck is more than their horrifying fanservice.  It's also things like:

-Ridiculous character designs with a thousand zippers and you're not sure how they get in and out of them!
-Convoluted, overwrought storytelling where every character hides a dark secret so they can reveal it in their Very Own Part of the Story!
-Intergender interaction going on like it does in Japan, regardless of where the protagonists are supposed to be from!
-Everyone is 17!
-That fucking thing that they do when someone's supposed to be mad.
-Characters only having three facial features: jaw shape, hair, and eye color.

I could go on.  Saying "Animu as fuck" is a convenient shorthand for me listing off all the times one or more of these things shows up and makes me hate the thing I'm talking about. I'm sure that someone could write a firefox plugin for you that would replace the phrase "animu as fuck" with the list I just provided if it really makes you cry over it that much.

Honestly, if that's how you define "animu as fuck", then that's cool. Those are all (barring perhaps the second one*) valid complaints and I can see how they are more confined to Japanese media than Western media, particularly when taken together. But I don't think I've ever seen you actually articulate these thoughts before. When you do, there's actually something being communicated and now I understand what your problem with "ANIMU!" is.

*Probably repetitive at this point, but Overwrought Writing certainly isn't Japan-specific either. And it's hardly universal even through Japanese media, though there is a trend of it in anime/J-games targeted at specific age groups, so I can at least see where you're coming from.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: February 17, 2013, 06:16:31 AM »
Finished Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time.

Djinn, did you actually play Growlanser 4?  It IS a cesspit of hentai tropes, but it also has some genuinely decent stuff in there, surprised how fast you are to dig at it considering your reputation for sticking up for games that indulge the animu too hard.  I've mostly been listing the worst parts because that's funnier, but the game's plot has some nice touches and well-done parts, too.  I'll give an example: the whole fate-change system, which is really basically just being explicit about some branching paths.  At times, you can (sometimes through obscure nonsense) be able to save and/or affect someone's fate, usually averting their death, but sometimes merely preventing them from going off on a fruitless lifelong quest for nonexistent revenge or the like.  Furthermore, they have at least some different dialogue for the choices, so it can feel like it did matter, and they have several fallback fate changes if you've screwed up the first, essentially making it more like 3 options than 2.  For example, if you let a "noble opponent" dude get killed (uh, by your own allies hand, so that was kind of the plan, but you're still not supposed to want this despite slaughtering hordes of other soldiers who don't have names, usual has-a-portrait bias) via not going shopping with his daughter earlier to get an accidentally life-saving gift, you can still change his daughter's fate by fessing up you helped kill daddy, for example.  Or letting one brother get killed means you have to worry about changing the fate of the other brother now to avoid him getting killed as well (the aforementioned NPC playboy Gary Stu, who is apparently the 2nd deadliest person in the world other than the final boss, and can fight off an army of 300 hundred guys single-handedly but still needs his medicine.  Right.).  Interesting stuff.  The political plot, while hamfisted (SUDDENLY WE MUST BACKSTAB OUR ALLY BECAUSE), is still passable largely because there's one character with a brain willing to make trenchant and realistic comments on it.  Aside from the above-mentioned branches, there's two major ways to run the endgame, a whole bunch of endings, and other nice extra features I appreciate.

Anyway.  I went for slight boringness and got the Frayne ending, as she's the most obvious love interest, and she isn't wearing hot pants / a miniminimini skirt like is so sadly common in the world of Growlanser 4.  Sadly they sure didn't think of much to actually have in that ending, mostly sappy i-wuv-u stuff.  Kind of odd in that one of the major bits of bonus content are unlocking portraits / art of this & previous Growlanser games, and Frayne ends up having an interest in art and wants to draw a picture of you on the docks with a sunset behind you or something, and....  then they don't show you the picture in the ending.  I see. 

Gameplay wise, the true final battle was the optional arena battle against the GL2 / GL3 squads.  Actual final battles got utterly stomped.  Brought Meline along so she could get the final blow against her sister, for all that it didn't appear to matter.  Anyway, why are the final battles EZ?  Because the game puts too much faith in enemy mages.  In Growlanser 2, some of the final battles are potentially quite deadly - both you and the enemy have pure-MT spells in a game with very large cast sizes on both sides of the battle, so we're talking a quick draw to who can resolve their Quakes first.  In Growlanser: WOT...  okay, first off, you can GL3 style buff up before most battles, which includes Attack Up / Protect / Resist, which do as yuo might expect.  But enemy mages get even further hosed.  All the elements have resistance gagues from 1-7 starting at 2- 1 is double damage (weakness), 2 is normal damage, 3-5 are 25%-50%-75% resistance, 6 is nulling (100% resistance), 7 is absorption.  By the endgame, most characters should be wearing armor with +1 to all resistances, possibly with a few resistances at +2.  So we start at 3.  There's another skill you can get pretty early in the game that's Magic Def Up, and there's no reason not to use it at the start of every set piece battle - it raises all resistances by 2.  So your 3 resistance is now at 5 for 75% damage reduction from all elements.  AND you have the spell Resist up.  And to add icing on the cake, there's yet another spell you can cast before battle, Magic Shell.  It does just that - all magic does 0 damage.  Doesn't fall off after it's nulled spells or anything, either.  The duration IS rather short on it, so it doesn't last forever, but it lasts long enough.  End result: enemy magic suxxxxxxx.  The final boss has a Seymour-esque "cast all 4 elemental spells at max level on one character", and each spell did like 25 damage, for 100 damage total.  To ~700 HP.  I'm shakin', especially in a game with fast-using items, and 9 Elixir Vitaes which restore the entire party's HP.  Owned.

Speaking of spells, that's one oddity about the endgame it doens't make entirely clear - there was supposed to be a heroic sacrifice of Our Hero and use of a Spell Nullifier, but the final boss did something nasty, and then in the epilogue both Our Hero and his familiar are just fine, so I guess they decided not to use the Spell Nullifier after all, or it got broke in the final engagement.  I see.

Anyway, despite the snark, GL:WOT is a good game, if too easy.  It just has to have repellent crap attached to it as well which makes it a qualified recommendation of "if you can ignore / actually like the cruddy dating sim part."  Sigh.