Register

Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing 2013?  (Read 186529 times)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing 2013?
« Reply #725 on: March 22, 2013, 01:43:01 PM »
I really didn't give a shit. I got a bunch of great levels for Sumia, Miriel and Lon'qu and I didn't want to give 'em up. Also, Maribelle managed to get speed in both her level-ups, which I didn't want to chance again.

EDIT: Also, give it to FE13 to make a 60% growth in speed qualify as merely "solid". If you slapped a 60% speed growth on Lilina, she'd godmode FE6 about as hard as Lute does in FE8.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 02:52:12 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: March 22, 2013, 02:59:54 PM »
"Dear Wild Arms XF,

This is a "Chevalier blanc"

This is a "Chevalet blanc":

Seriously now.
Best regards,
Fenrir"

Paradoxically, I'm complaining but I'd have totally bought White Knight Chronicles if it had been named White Mite Chronicles

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: March 22, 2013, 03:26:18 PM »
The image of a knight riding a white canvas is certainly hilarious, at least.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: March 22, 2013, 04:42:59 PM »
For what it's worth Fenrir, the use of chevalet is intentional (if a bit odd). Something about painting a future on an empty canvas or something like that. Alternately, the English translation of the term appears as the title of one of the boss tracks.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: March 22, 2013, 05:09:15 PM »
I really should have expected a weird pun like this from Wild Arms.
I don't have too many comments about the game so far, it's weird how this has SaGa Frontier 2 graphics, when this game is way too nice while SF2 was way too mean.
There's no sceneskip right?

I wasted 10 bucks trying FFT War of the Lions too. I heard about the slowdown (this didn't really bother me that much), but not about the game being a blurry mess. It's not worse about it than your average N64 game, but it's still unplayable for me. My eyes would never forgive me for playing something like that for 20+ hours.

Finished FF4 TAY. I liked the 567 boss battles near the end, including Omega and Shinryu. The actual final boss was weak, though.
Yang got slightly less amazing towards the end, compared to Shiny Equipment Cecil and Palom of the Doublecast Flare.
I killed Bahamut just like most other espers.
The plot was fairly lame but the game moved at a brisk pace like a good FF should. This is one of the best things about FF1-5 actually. Playing the game for two hours always meant accomplishing a lot, in these games. Things started to go wrong with FF6, then a lot worse with FF7-9 (so much time wasted), then slightly better with FF10 onwards.

Persona 3 Yattaf Solo: Got easier lately. I'm curious to see the final boss. (I'll try not using Lucifer's 999999 attack)

- Sleeping Table:
Has fire and allmighty attacks, no weaknesses.
Dionysus has all the auto skills and Ziodyne. After the auto skills wear off, both Sleeping Table and Yattaf are near death. By then, switch to Saki Mitama, who has Diarama and fire resistance. Easy.
Level: 49
- Fortune/Strength:
This battle is SO LONG, yet the enemy doesn't do any damage. It can't even kill a level 3 Yukari without help. (I had to use Wheel of Fortune manipulation to kill the whole team) The wheel is easy to manipulate so the battle itself is a joke.
Level: 50
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 05:16:25 PM by Fenrir »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: March 22, 2013, 06:22:00 PM »
I really should have expected a weird pun like this from Wild Arms.
I don't have too many comments about the game so far, it's weird how this has SaGa Frontier 2 graphics, when this game is way too nice while SF2 was way too mean.
There's no sceneskip right?

Unfortunately not. This isn't as big a deal as it could be because resetting a battle always takes you to after any cutscenes and/or Labyrithinia's advice (i.e. right as the battle itself begins), but it sucks for replays.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: March 23, 2013, 01:33:13 AM »
When I eventually get around to replaying it for speedrun purposes, I'll let you know if there are tricks >_>. In the meantime, enjoy the game. And yes Chevalet Blanc is intentional. FYI, the Japanese version of the game played with the concept of "Blank Easel" a lot and basically used it for like everything, including OST tracks. I guess the translation team wanted to keep something that sounded foreign and opted to use french since for all we know, that could be the reason the original developers chose the name too.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: March 24, 2013, 02:51:52 AM »
BoDVII: I passed up MT healing to get ST healing that wouldn't break the combo meter. Most games this would probably be a bad idea! Not here, apparently.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: March 24, 2013, 04:17:44 AM »
I'll finish P3 before seriously dwelling into XF.

Yattaf solo:
I'm flying through the game now, beating two bosses per hour:
- Those rescue missions (added to P3P) really artificially rise Yattaf's level. I don't fight enemies when scared and generally try to avoid them (and exp cards) now
- HP+30% ring = Awesome
- Yattaf is awesome.

- Hell Knight x3
POIZN, electricity, ID. Resistance to every element.
As always with 3x Tartarus fights, this battle needs to be over quick since they do a hell of a lot of damage.
I tried winning with a Dionysus with auto skills and elec resistance + a Suzaku with Vicious Strike (Heavy strike damage to all, decent critical rate. 5 Vicious Strikes kill them all). The idea is to attack with Suzaky and heal with Dionysus (using a bead) The biggest issue is Vicious Strike consuming way too many HPs, and I had 4-5 resets figuring out the perfect way to handle the battle.
Eventually I just got two crits in a row with Vicious Strike and won easily.
Level: 52

- Mythical Gigas
50 damage Deathbound to Dionysus.
At this point I even have Diarahan (from Daisoujou)
Level: 55

- Strega:
Lol
Level: 56

- Hanged Man:
Hanged man can either summon random enemies, do a variety of attacks, or summon three statues, which make him invulnerable until they all die.
Anything he summons dies from a single Magarudyne from (the overly badass) Jatayu, and the attacks aren't really impressive.
Problems:
1) He's durable as hell
2) He does pretty much nothing but summon statues all day long.
That battle wasn't hard but it cost me a lot of SP restoration items.
Level: 57

- Chidori:

Level: 58

- Judgement Sword x3:
With electricity immunity and Magarudyne, Jatayu completely wrecks this guys.
Level: 60

- Stasis Giant x3:
It's 180F and I get to fight pure physical bosses?
I could easily shut them down but using my souped up Dionysus is just easier. (I raised his stats whenever I had nothing to do)
Level: 60

- Phantom King:
Oh no, expel skills and 3HKO damage with Mind Charge -> Megido
Daisoujou has expel immunity and Diarahan. Yattaf auto battles, cancels to heal after two Megidos.
Level: 62

- Royal Dancer x3:
I still have that Narcissus Flower from earlygame to prevent charm!
... I also now have a Bishamonten with Maragidyne and Slash/Pierce immunity. With this setup I don't even think the dancers can damage with me with anything but POIZN damage.
Level: 63

Knytt Underground: I can appreciate the size and graphics and mix of Knytt and Within a Deep Forest gameplay, but the plot unfortunately ruins the atmosphere. This was the last thing Knytt needed, really.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 04:39:45 AM by Fenrir »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: March 24, 2013, 06:00:13 AM »
BoDVII: I passed up MT healing to get ST healing that wouldn't break the combo meter. Most games this would probably be a bad idea! Not here, apparently.

It's an actual choice! One I didn't take, though, because the MT healing's still really good. I made Sara into an offensive powerhouse too, so she was blowing shit up something fierce. Zeboyd is really partial to its healer girls.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: March 24, 2013, 01:06:51 PM »
I didn't even try to build her offense and she wound up excelling at it.

Knytt Underground: I can appreciate the size and graphics and mix of Knytt and Within a Deep Forest gameplay, but the plot unfortunately ruins the atmosphere. This was the last thing Knytt needed, really.

I suppose depending on the player this could be consolation or salt upon the wound, but it's so plainly an Excuse Plot that one of the main characters routinely mocks it as such. Personally, I enjoyed the NPC chatter and didn't really care whether or not the plot amounted to anything.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 01:53:53 PM by El Cideon »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: March 24, 2013, 01:57:15 PM »
FF:D - Finished this the other day, I have mentioned to a few people how good the last dungeon is.  It is pretty good game overall.  The ranting I have done in chat and here before really cover it off.  It starts off a bit weak before Chapter 1 starts and then only really goes uphill from there.  The final product is a pretty solid spiritual sequel to FF5.  It isn't a remotely serious game and events are really just taking you from one place to another to string together gameplay sequences and to make some jokes and pepper everything with references.  The self referential nature of the game honestly only plays to its strengths and not in a "OH ITS THAT GUY FROM FF1 THAT IS THE PIRATE!!!" kind of way but entirely in that it takes familiar concepts from old FF games and mashes them all up and does its own thing with them.  It really works for me anyway.

The job system isn't quite are robust as FF5, but on the other hand isn't nearly as broken so there is that.  My biggest complaint is that by end game Front Row is kind of dead like FF6, the physical damage scaling just has to keep up with Back Row defenses too much to leave it survivable in the front row.  Pair that with both team's physical jobs really wanting to be running either 2 handed or double sword respectively and Shields really sit by the wayside, which is a shame because they do give nice defensive boosts, but nothing nearly worth halving your offense for and nothing close to making front row survivable even.  I was rolling 2 Red Mages at end game just because hey Double Cast is a thing that I would theoretically like (and never got), so got to use neat shields at least.  Go me.  Otherwise the gameplay is really good and the tighter focus on the job system does have added benefit in that I ran my Fifth party member after the parties merge as a Light Warrior that had been using Physical jobs, dropped him into Seer and bam, fully competent White Mage that had picked up some tanky Abilities to help him soak damage for longer and can pinch hit as another damage character during randoms or if the boss is particularly weak or blitzable (these do exist). 

That said you are really kind of stuck with wanting to run 2 White Mages for most of the game (swapping on and off for diverse skillset) in both parties.  So it is a little more restrictive than it could have been.

It is good, check it out if you have something that runs iOS or Android.

Trials Evolution Gold - I stayed up too late playing this.  This is way more fun than something this frustrating should be.  Must unlock Micro Donkey.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: March 24, 2013, 05:53:05 PM »
- Hell Knight x3
POIZN, electricity, ID. Resistance to every element.
As always with 3x Tartarus fights, this battle needs to be over quick since they do a hell of a lot of damage.
I tried winning with a Dionysus with auto skills and elec resistance + a Suzaku with Vicious Strike (Heavy strike damage to all, decent critical rate. 5 Vicious Strikes kill them all). The idea is to attack with Suzaky and heal with Dionysus (using a bead) The biggest issue is Vicious Strike consuming way too many HPs, and I had 4-5 resets figuring out the perfect way to handle the battle.
Eventually I just got two crits in a row with Vicious Strike and won easily.
Level: 52

Aren't those guys vulnerable to Charm? I remember them utterly failing because of Sexy Dance => lolololololol.

Quote from: Fenny The Bestest Who Ever Bested
- Chidori:

Never ever change.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: March 24, 2013, 06:48:29 PM »
Death's Log, Chapter 2, Land of the Dead, Part 1:

"So after seeing that the wears of this useless goat fellow were in fact...useless...perhaps I should expand my vocabulary some...I had decided to explore this rich land.  I must say, I rather like the atmosphere.  No living beings, just undead monstrosities that I can murder over and over again.  Perhaps I will look into buying a vacation home here...might need to ask the Council for a raise for being a Horsemen of the Apocalypse.  Sitting around and waiting for it to occur and not killing anything in the meantime is hard work!

So after traversing the land some, going through a cave and hitting these switches, I have discovered that these switches need to be weighed down.  This makes my life that much harder...though I still question why I have life to begin with, given my name.  Why have I not removed myself of it?  Why am I still tangenting?  Why are my thoughts about such a thing being written in my journal?

Dust points me in the direction of a tomb, where I explore some, and using my acrobatic skills, I managed to traverse the spiral stair case and reach the bottom.  There, the Deposed King, one of the creatures Thane has warned me about sits!  And so I take my mighty scythes and go to take his life!

...he crushes me under his club...repeatedly.  Hmm...it would appear he is a more worthy foe than I thought, perhaps I shall come back later when I have recovered more of my maximum power.  So I continue onward leaving this troll behind me...no, my apologies, I did not mean to equate such a worthy foe with that foolish knave of a Maker Karn...why is he still alive anyway?

Upon exploring this land, I come across a floating fortress held by dragons.  Well, it seems me and Despair need to illustrate why we are tools of the Apolcaypse, as I stylishly run across the back of one of those serpents, both on foot and on horse, and reach the castle.  Though, some gameplay segment brings a physics puzzle...who designed this place anyway?  I'm sure whoever it is has died...given the location, I am sure that is also a safe bet.  I come across some arena of sorts, with ghostly fellows.  I talk to one of the Phantoms, at first he talks about trying to 'best death' but then seems eager to teach me a few new tricks I had no considered.  Something about his king and chancellor being lazy bums who do naught but bark orders.  He said he won a tournament to gain his freedom, but is still just a servant.  I will see to it that this King gets a nice earful!

...or so I would if his guards were not so stubborn.  I would kill them, but alas they are already dead.  The Chancellor appears and offers me a deal; if I am to defeat the Arena champion, I can gain an audience with the king.  I question where this is, but it seems we are conveniently by the Arena already.  That Goat fellow has appeared as well, simply saying 'A merchant knows all ways, and does not tell them all.'  Clever boy...or it is just a cop out, I cannot tell.

Upon arriving at the Arena, the Guardians there tell me that I have to EARN my right to fight the Champion.  So let me get this straight...I have to earn my right to fight the champion in order to earn my right to fight the king.  An inefficient means of doing something...but far more efficient than those governments set up by the deceased human race, I assure you.  It appears I must find 3 objects and activate it to summon the Champion.  Each object is hidden behind lantern puzzles in different rooms, and all of those statues holding the lanterns contain at least one that has dropped it's lantern.  I've heard of repetitive design, but...well, I actually don't have a follow up to that, this is just flat out repetitive.  I do in the meantime have to slaughter a bunch of bugs and skeletons, at least, so it is not too bad.

The Champion is summoned and he is a push over.  Oh sure, he transformed into a worm at first but using my magical grappling fist I could easily grab him, slash him, and force him into his larger form.  I suppose he did take quite a beating, but after a fairly trivial encounter, I take his head.  If this is the best the land of the dead has to offer...well, I suppose that's why they are all dead.  And I suppose that line of thinking is wearing thing too.

I bring the head to the Chancellor, and reluctantly, he lets me in to talk to the king.  The King is quite a ghastly fellow, being annoyed at how many dead souls there are, due to the death of humanity.  I do tell him I am growing fond of the atmosphere, he thinks I am jesting...is it so odd that I like it here?  Nevertheless, he says he cannot aid me without his court of 3 judges which are spread around the land of the dead.  Why is it always three?  In fact, that annoys me enough that I head back to the Forge Lands and cover up some loose ends.

First I slaughter Belethor or whatever his name is because he lives in a hot volcano.  This line of thinking would make sense if you were there, I assure you.  After him, I find the Warden's brother, Oran, who apparently while he was asleeping, his legs and right arm have decided to leave him.  How does that work exactly?  Are you to tell me that if I slept for several millennia, I'd wake up half a man...if that is what you can call me...I suppose it is accurate given they call me 'Horseman'.  Though, looking back at the murals, it would appear one of my brothers is in fact female...but the silhouette is vague, odd thing to bring up now...

It would appear the Shaman of the makers has a task for me to do, involving finishing off a construct she created using the heart of her dead comrade that has been corrupted.  I set off to do it, and in the process, fighting constructs stronger than I am use too.  I am less than fond of these things, even falling to them several times, but with perseverance I pull through, and eventually, defeat it.  Also, I manage to find the blacksmith's hammer after a large swim...it's best you don't question this.

Then I go back to actually do the task I was given: Finding the Court of the King.  So onto the first of them.  It seems he wishes to end my own quest by smashing the elevator anytime it reaches floor 2.  I am less than fond of this action, though he seems perfectly content with me going to any other floor.  Jokes on him, I found a work around to keep the elevator from dropping below floor 2, after a large amount of tedious dungeon crawling, wall climbing, block pushing, and skeleton slaying...wait, is the right term?  Can it be considering slaying something when it's already dead?

I meet the Phariseer in his tomb, the first of the three I am forced to find.  Even though I saw him before, he comes out of a coffin and wishes to kill me.  As if one that is already dead can slay the one named death, such irony!  He falls to my abilities fast, and while I could kill him, he yields and becomes my servant.  Seems he is incorporeal and thus can traverse to areas I cannot, as well as turn to stone.  Hmm...perhaps he could find use as a paper weight in the future."

So ends the second part of Death's Log.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: March 24, 2013, 08:27:14 PM »
Gratuitous tank battles- Started this. Interesting concept, it is a mix of RTS and tower defense. Don't know how much I like it though.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: March 25, 2013, 12:29:41 AM »
Disgaea: Working through endings. Got normal, good, Etna, Flonne and Vyers endings. Currently grinding to get Lv 100 item ending, then gonna work on that Dark Assembly one.
I have never been the type to enjoy grinding in games, but apparently I don't mind it so much right now. :')

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: March 25, 2013, 05:30:33 AM »
FE5: Chapter 12x, wee!

Mareeta is Proto-Fir, in that she joins underleveled and would seem unusable,  but then she's up against a bunch of inaccurate axe dudes (with Forests to help no less), and given a damn good weapon to rip apart these enemies with.  Downside?  Wasted more shots of the Mareeta Sword than I wanted too. 

I hate to say it, but I'm actually kind of having fun playing this.  The game is a dick, but at least it shows some signs of modernizing the series that FE6+ added in, just not quite polished enough.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: March 25, 2013, 01:07:23 PM »
FE13 - C11! Oh, open field with tons of people and I can see where the reinforcements will come from, how bad can it be -

*Gangrel of the "only fails to double Sumia" starts moving along his waves of grunts while reinforcements with promoted enemies swarm from both sides.*

*Gangrel doubles and finishes off a Sully who got chipped by a merc beforehand.*

wtfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: March 25, 2013, 01:37:51 PM »
Trials Evolution - SO MUCH RAGE.  I CAN'T DO ANYTHING FOR SHIT I SUCK AT THIS GAME ARLSDKFJSLKDFSDF oh there is that gold I was after, how did I do that.  I beat old time by 8 seconds.

Far less frustrating was trying to get the Micro Donkey.  This is done by only using half the controls on a Normal difficulty stage (the furthest I have got).  Most of the night's play to do, but unlocked.  Hooray I have the worst bike in the game!

This is just like being a teenager again. Doing stupid shit over and over and failing at the same basic things you always do.  Doing it the difficult way even though you don't have to just to achieve something that makes everything even harder again.

Also fapping is legit way to get through.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: March 26, 2013, 02:01:50 AM »
BoDVII: Wow that was short. Probably a good thing--it's entertaining enough for what it is but hasn't got much on its mind beyond look you are playing dead people. Combat is designed to be as fast and streamlined as possible, which I approve of in theory even though in practice it can lead to you just mashing confirm until the next round starts. Past a certain point, all randoms become: can the enemies stop Sara from getting two turns y/n? <N> Congraturation! Still, it's a nice model and plays out well in boss battles. I guess STOP! Cthulhutime is next whenever I feel like playing something else.

So the town names are obviously derived from retro RPG titles. Two of these I get: Motherbound = Mother/Earthbound (although it is impossible for me to read it without seeing Motherboy); Lufestpolis = Lufia/Estpolis...dunno the other two. Langsong = Langrisser/??? I guess? No idea on Palad-Lennus.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: March 26, 2013, 02:03:51 AM »
Paladin Quest/Lennus there.

EO4: dragons are jerks, news at 11.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: March 26, 2013, 02:33:46 AM »
So the town names are obviously derived from retro RPG titles. Two of these I get: Motherbound = Mother/Earthbound (although it is impossible for me to read it without seeing Motherboy); Lufestpolis = Lufia/Estpolis...dunno the other two. Langsong = Langrisser/??? I guess? No idea on Palad-Lennus.
It's "japanese RPG series + its english name" every time; Langsong is Langrisser + Warsong (on the genesis, not very playable)
They could have done Dragon Warrest too

"I suppose depending on the player this could be consolation or salt upon the wound, but it's so plainly an Excuse Plot that one of the main characters routinely mocks it as such. Personally, I enjoyed the NPC chatter and didn't really care whether or not the plot amounted to anything."
Makes things worse for me!
I've chuckled at some of the dialogue but that wasn't worth losing the atmosphere of the game.
Knytt doesn't really have astonishing gameplay or anything, just nice physics and the lonely/intimate/contemplative exploration of an unknown, weird and wonderful environment.
But then this game doesn't take itself seriously and talk about the Internet or something. The artificiality of the game becomes apparent, and the exploration loses its charm. Why bother exploring a massive world when everything there is a giant joke anyway? (I'm exaggerating but you get the idea)

Aren't those guys vulnerable to Charm? I remember them utterly failing because of Sexy Dance => lolololololol.
Yes!! I'd have loved to do that but I'm not really reading faqs for this one.
Hmm. I should do a "Break FF5" playthrough one of those days.

Even more bosses.

- Reckoning Dice: Auto attack the whole time through. No joke. Yattaf somehow kept getting crits. Is this what the Great status does? I should have abused the hell out of this from the beginning of the game!
Level: 65

- Noble Seeker x3
They randomly use *any element*-Dynes, no weaknesses and no resistances.
Seth has good MT damage with Maragidyne/Fire Amp, a Reflect fire passive and a Null Ice skill. Yattaf has a wind immunity ring. That's 3 elements walled out of 4. Yattaf switches to Hariti (only walls 2 elements) to heal when she could die in 2 hits. There's a 1/64 chance to die every now and then (each of the three enemies would have to use the wrong element), but that wasn't not a problem.
Level: 68

- Carnal Snake x3
Pierce Attacks, Fire attacks + Fire break (breaks fire protection) + Spirit Drain (Drain MPs)
They were a huge pain at first. Abaddon might null all their damage, but the snakes tend to use a lot of fire attacks right after Fire Break, they're durable, and any stalling tactic is spoiled by Spirit Drain.
Then I fused Kartikaya, remembered that she's needed for the best weapon in the game (Weapon fusion is one of the new additions to P3P IIRC and I had looked at what it could do), made that weapon (Vel Vel Maluga, stick of doom), and destroyed the boss with Abaddon (nulls fire and pierce) + "Great" status + Just plain old physicals.
Level: 70

- World Balance
Every elemental spell, ID from both types, plus allmighty damage, resistances everywhere?
That's great and all, but World Balance can't break 3HKO even with Megidolaon against a tanky Yattaf. Game over. Yattaf has no weaknesses + total ID immunity with both Seth (for damage) and Daisoujou (for healing)
Level: 70
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 04:38:01 AM by Fenrir »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: March 26, 2013, 05:29:47 AM »
RE4 HD: Just beat THE BIG CHEESE!!  As in, I beat Chapter 2, onto suplexing cultists!

Replaying this is just making RE5 and RE6 look worse, because it's still really damned good!  I mean, yeah, chain saw deaths are bullshit, but they're also often cases of "oh, I could probably have avoided that if tried this strategy."

Contrast to RE5 where chain saw enemies are just huge sacks of health that NEVER DIE EVER and can OHKO you...and you sometimes fight several.  Ok, RE4's take a lot to kill, but there's a difference between "reasonably durable, take these things seriously!" and "NEVER DIES."

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #748 on: March 26, 2013, 06:28:28 AM »
The thing that sets RE4 apart the most, I think, is how much more interactive the environments are. Not every area is equally intricate, but there's very few areas that are non-interactive barriers and exploding barrels and that's it. There's a ton of areas in RE4 where there's movable barriers or ladders you can climb/knock over or hazards you can lure them into that aren't as uncreative as carelessly left-out barrels of I guess gasoline, and I think it demonstrates the amount of thought that went into RE4's level design vs others.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: March 26, 2013, 12:15:03 PM »
FE13 - So, beat C11. The winning run went more or less like this:

<Gangrel> I KISS YOU
<Sumia&ChromOTP> smooch smooch *lol ohko.*
<Gangrel> </3

And then there was a laugh track. Robin is my first promoted unit, right now I'm about to enter a "Save the Anna!" random battle for shinies. Well, and levelling Kellam up. Yes, I'm levelling people who don't exist.