Register

Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing 2013?  (Read 186633 times)

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing 2013?
« Reply #875 on: April 09, 2013, 07:11:29 AM »
Mass Effect - Mostly just accused a villain of being a villain and failing for obvious reasons and then wandered around the big ass city for a while. A bit too big for my tastes but whatever. I was then attacked by assassins in the city, which the party members didn't even seem to notice or care about? I am confused. Kaidan sure dies a lot. <_< Just finished talking to Harkin and grabbing some new crap from the shop.

Final Fantasy Dimensions: Just did the Prologue. Better than a lot of the old FFs at prologues, which we can give it a golfclap for.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #876 on: April 09, 2013, 08:10:50 AM »
FFD has a slow start. It is the worst part of the game by far IMO. If you don't hate it now, it should only get better for you, unless you hate rotating temps or job-changing systems.

Mana Khemia 2: Chloe is Daria and that is awesome. Enna feels too normal for this group. I get that this is his schtick, but Chloe already feels like the "normal one", even though she still manages to have some personality. Enna just feels like a punching bag. But considering Pepperoni/Ulrika/Goto all alternatingly fill in that role, he's so extraneous.

Battle-wise, the game is shaping up nicely. I like this party, and I just recently got someone from the other team (Puniyo) as a temp and managed to field a full party for a little while. I hope to see more of that. The game really shines with a full party, though a 5-man team is decent. I've been obsessively maxing out the Grow Book as new recipes become available, so I'm waaaay more overpowered than I need to be, but the bosses still manage to put up a challenge at times. Looking forward to more of those.

I miss Pamela's voice clips. :(

I wish I had played this sooner.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #877 on: April 09, 2013, 08:21:05 AM »
Sadly you don't really get full parties for any meaningful stretch until the bonus chapter (the one unlocked by beating both Ulrika and Raze paths).  In general Mana Khemia 2 kinda assumes you played the first, so bosses start reasonably challenging and stay there.

Enna mostly exists to give Ulrika's party a link to Flay I think.  Character wise I feel like he was just designed to be the opposite of Et, so in practical terms boring as hell.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: April 09, 2013, 08:51:59 AM »
Ulrika's path at least sees you getting more people from the other team as temps at least.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: April 09, 2013, 05:48:02 PM »
The last chapter of Death's Log is written in some weird moon rune language.  Translating it directly is not worthwhile, but worry not, we have found what might be considered a faithful reenactment of the entire sequence of events!

DISCLAIMER: We take no responsibility for any ad-libbing, inconsistencies, and possibly unexpected members of this portrayal.

*Cue Death leaving the Library*

Death: Ok, now to go give the Archon a nice talking to!  That's the best course of action here, right?  ...who am I even talking to?
Archon: Ah, Death, how did things go!?
Death: ...you're the one who caused all the problems here, and your friend the Scribe sort of gave away all that.  How do you THINK things went?
Archon: YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND! I am the only one SACRED enough to make decisions! IT's my judgment! THE CORRUPTION IS EVIL!!!!
Death: Says the man being eaten by corruption...
Archon: I DO THE JUDGING NOT YOU!
Death: Um, I thought as one of the four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, I do have a technical ability to judge whoever I damn well please?
Archon: IRRELEVANT! *blasts Death through several pillars on a conveniently large arena sized field*
Death: ...so...Boss fight?
Archon: Boss fight.
*Boss fight ensues, Death Wins after 3 cinematic actions involved in the fight*

Watcher: Ah, now that was quite amusing.  Well done Horseman.
Death: Thanks, I-...wait, who are you?
Watcher: I am the Watcher sent by the council!
Death: Weren't you a character in the first game?
Watcher: Yes.
Death: ...that died at the end of it?
Watcher: This is technically a parallel story that takes place at the exact same time, that event hasn't happened yet!
Death: ...you're not suppose to be here at all, because you're currently with War, and thus this entire sequence is forced isn't it?
Watcher: No I am not, and yes it is.
Death: Good, THEN GET BACK TO THE FIRST GAME NOW!
Crowfather: What the hell did I just miss?
Death: Pointless moment of Fourth Wall Breaking...also, where'd you come from?
Crowfather: ME!? You're the one who fast traveled out of nowhere!  You even accessed the map and everything!
Death: I ask the questions around, here, NOT YOU!
Crowfather: So you're a parrot of a main character?
Death: YES! ...wait I mean...well, I walked into that one...
Crowfather: Silliness aside, you got the Angelic Key!
Death: ...oh, right, I did take that from the Archon, didn't I?  I can go into the Tree of Life now, right?
Crowfather: No, you need the other Key that goes with it.  There's always two halves to every whole!
Death: And I guess this OTHER key is the "Demon Key" *snicker*
Crowfather: Yes, that's exactly what it is.
Death: ...wait, seriously?
Crowfather: Yes, no, GO TO THE DEMONIC UNDERWORLD AND GET THE OTHER KEY! Here, there's a portal over there!
Death: I...uh...ok...

*in the Demonic Land*
Crowfather: Good, you made it!
Death: How'd you get here before me?  I clearly walked into the portal and you were still on the other side.
Crowfather: I have my ways.   Anyway, go talk to Samael, he rules this land and holds the key.
Death: This land doesn't exactly look like it's in good condition...and yes I know this is suppose to be hell, but that doesn't explain why the DEMON LORD'S CASTLE IS IN RUINS.
Crowfather: Well...uhmm...Corruption is here and...uhh...corruption comes from Chaos and...uhh...corruption?
Death: Oh ok...how do you fight that anyway?
Crowfather: YOU DON'T! All you can do is stop it from advancing, CORRUPTION IS ETERNAL!
Death: Whatever, onto Samael's castle...wait, I thought the Demon Lord was called the Destroyer...ah whatever...

*near the Castle*
Ostagoth: Aha, Horseman, fancy seeing you here.
Death: Weren't you in the Land of the Dead?  How'd you end up here.
Ostagoth: It's called good business.
Death: That doesn't begin to make sense.
Ostagoth: Nor does the fact that I'm about to tell you that Samael has disappeared and you'll have to talk to Lilith to have any chance of finding him.
Death: Where'd that come from?
Ostagoth: Good Business.
Death: You're not really going to answer my questions are you?
Ostagoth: I am a goat person, do you really trust what I say?
Death: Fair point.  Anyway, onto to meet Lilith!

*in the castle itself*
Death: Hmm...I wonder where she is...
*Random Demon attacks, Death kills it effortlessly*
Death: That is some welcome you have there. </rough actual line of dialog>
Lilith: Well, I had to make sure you weren't coming to kill me...but then, how could you kill you're own mother?
Death: You are not my mother.
Lilith: Yes I am.
Death: No you aren't.
Lilith: Yes, I really am.
Death: I call bullcrap on that because there was literally nothing leading up to this point.  You were just suppose to be Samael's Mistress, and now you're claiming to be my mother just so I can deny it.
Lilith: And?
Death: And I'm a Nephilim!  Being his mistress implies I'm his son, which is impossible since if you're a demon, that means you slept with an Angel to create me.  So either you're lying or a whore...
Lilith: Oh please, just look at me! Everything about me suggests I'm a succubus, so "Sleeping around" is kind of part of the job description.  Besides, at least I didn't SLAUGHTER MY ENTIRE RACE.
Death: ...that was a low blow and you know it.  Anyway, just give the damn key.
Lilith: I share Samael's bed but not his secrets! </actual line of dialog, roughly>  I can't tell you where he is.
Death: Great, you're useless.
Lilith: What I mean is I don't know where he is now.  I can, however, upgrade your Void Walker into a Phase Walker and let you travel to the past to meet him when the castle was still in good shape and he's still around.  Only works on certain portals that only exist in this castle though.
Death: ...ok, I guess is a fine substitute.  What's the catch?
Lilith: Well, you do realize that you have all the souls of the dead Nephilim within you.  You're trying to restore humanity.  You do realize that to revive one you have to sacrifice the other...
Death: ...go on...
Lilith: And the Nephilim are your brothers, so...
Death: You want me to choose the Nephilim over humanity despite how the entire purpose of my quest was to restore humanity so War would be pardoned for something that is not his fault?
Lilith: Oh, I won't pressure you, but I trust you'll make the right choice...for your mother's sake...
Death: You're trying to guilt trip me...oh screw it, I'm leaving to meet Samael, GOOD BYE.

*one dungeon involving lots of Phase Walker related puzzles later not worth mentioning because they're hard to describe...but they are creative*

Death: Well, here's the throne room...except I'm in the present.  I need to get to the past...oh look, a Phase Walker spot, how convenient, time to go through it!
*he travels back in time*
Samael: Ah, horseman, so the council sends you to the past to do their bidding...wait, no, this is of your own accord.
Death: Wait, if this is the past, how'd you know I was gonna meet you here? How do you know I'm from the future anyway?
Samael: You used the Phase Walker to come here, why else would you use it?
Death: ...touche.  So uh, about that Demon Key...mind giving it to me so I can beat up Corruption and restore humanity?
Samael: Sure.
Death: Well that was ea-...
Samael: IF YOU CAN BEST ME IN COMBAT AND PROVE YOU ARE WORTHY OF IT!
Death: -sy.  Why does every noble demonic guy require such a thing?
Samael: Because we need a reason for a boss fight with a demon lord.
Death: ...right...

*one boss fight later*
Samael: Ok, here's the key.  Just remember Horseman, you must sacrifice one race to save the other.
Death: Let me guess, you want me to bring back the Nephilim too.
Samael: Oh hell no.  I don't honestly care who you bring back.  I just felt it was a sporting thing to remind you that grave sacrifices must be made so you're prepared for the decision ahead.
Death: Oh, well...thank you?  Going back to my time now.
*Back in the present*
Death: Well, time to open the portal to the tree.
Lilith: SAVE THE NEPHILIM PLEASE!!!
Death: ...I thought you were trying to be subtle about that...
Lilith: Uh, er...I mean, you don't have to if you don't want to, son!
Death: uh-huh...yeah, I'm just going to go to the tree now...

*at the tree*
Crowfather: Good, you got the key.  Now, open the door, make the decision, beat up Absalom...
Death: Wait, why do I have to beat up Absalom?
Crowfather: Because the game needs a final boss and we hinted at him earlier.  Did you seriously think that was just a red herring?
Death: No, but I was hoping that was the case.
*Using the soul split because style, Death opens the tree's gate using both keys, walks in*

Absalom: DEATH! You have finally arrived! Now I must explain stuff because we still have some plot points to cover.
Death: Just get on with it.
Absalom: So yeah, you and the other 3 all slaughtered the Nephilim.
Death: Yes, we know this.
Absalom: But something stood out to me...you showed remorse and hesitation when slaughtering us while the other three did not!
Death: So?
Absalom: HOW DOES THAT MAKE SENSE!? You're Death!  You're suppose to enjoy killing because that's what you do!
Death: It's called "I still have a conscious because I'm a good guy", unlike my brother War, I am NOT a Rob Liefeld Rip Off character.
Absalom: You still used a gun!
Death: That belonged to my brother, and the game required I used it!  That doesn't count!
Absalom: REGARDLESS I WILL HAVE MY REVENGE!
Death: For whatever it's worth, in hindsight, if I could do it again, I might have actually spared you and some of the others to avoid this nonsense...but I guess it's too late for that now?  Whatever, let's get this fight over with!

*one straight forward final boss fight later*

Death: Well, that was easier than expected.  Now, to revive humanity!  So...souls of Nephilim...yeah, you kind of have to go away...I guess I have to sacrifice myself too for this to work?  That sucks, but at least War will be saved!  *takes mask off, never see the front of his face from here on in* To restore life, I must sacrifice Death!  ...the irony is just stupid there, let's just jump into the WELL OF SOULS and get this over with.

Narrator: And so Death of the Horseman sacrificed himself and his brothers to bring back humanity.  HOWEVER!!!

*cut to Darksiders 1*

War: I have just coincidentally defeated the destroyer and crushed Mark Hamil's head in my hands!  And it seems all of Heaven and Hell is out to get me, but don't worry, I HAVE ALLIES *summons the other 3*

Narrator: The number of the riders always has been, and always will be four, and so Death shall ride again!

Fury: Hey, we got vague sillouhettes in the ending! That's more than what we got in the first game!
Strife: Sweet, we can kind of see what we look like!  Wait, is it just me or is one of us a chick?
Fury: That would definitely seem to be the case...token female and all that...
Strife: So...which of the two of us is female?
Fury: ...
Strife: ...
War: Oh you two shut up and move on.  This game is not getting a sequel because THQ disbanded and no one bought our franchise...yet...
Death: Disappointing, I know...

--------

So yeah, Darksiders 2 beaten.  I found the game more fun than Darksiders 1 mostly because the battle system is so much better, and it doesn't feel like it has to feed directly of LoZ for dungeon design.  More platforming based elements, less block pushing, boss fights are straight forward though sometimes have some gimmicks to keep things interesting (they aren't anything close to DMC level though), and plenty of options.

The problems are what most people complain about.  Item drop system needs to be improved because there's so much worthless stuff you get throughout.  The Diablo style is neat to a degree, but eventually gets tiring having to check all the gear you keep getting only to find you're filled with obsolete stuff.  Made worse when you go get that out of the way chest to find it has nothing worthwhile in it.

I wouldn't say the plot is worse than the first, but the characters are.  The lack of the Watcher as a consistent character for Death to bounce off of the way War had, and no Central Point akin to Samael in the first game (why they didn't just use the Crowfather for this role the entire game, I don't know) hurts the character interaction, which is a pity because Death himself actually a more fun character than I expected. 

Still, it is what it is, and the goods outweigh the bads, and overall while there are some things this flubs that the first game did better, it's a better overall package I feel.  Long game too for the genre standards (about 20 hours) and I didn't even do all the side quests and everything.  Worth looking into if you want an action game with a bigger emphasis on exploration and all that instead of just straight up battles.  Stands alone well enough on it's own merits since it's sort of a detached parallel story to the first game as opposed to a sequel, while still keeping the game connected.  Just means you'll mist obvious references that help put the game in perspective with the first, but aren't overly important to understanding the game as a whole.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: April 09, 2013, 10:58:27 PM »
Vaguely amused at Jo'ou's ranking of the third set of unlocked classes in XF being in exactly the opposite order from mine!  Probably a good sign, although I agree the third set is a tad underwhelming.  (Hardly bad, but more roleplayers.)  Grappler I thought was hilarious, you get Accelerate on the cheap, and even just *enemy* positioning shenanigans is pretty funny (toss people down cliffs they have to climb back up from & all).  Strider I didn't use too much but respect the power of Drop Kick after I was informed that Strider stats & weapons were underrating it (also I used Felius in Halberdier a decent amount, and Upper Hand is practically the same move).  Enigmancer, uh, when most enemies have some crippling elemental weakness, give me Elementalist OC instead (as amusing as IFF can potentially be in some setups).  Screw you Berserkers, the "run in a straight line" thing means I'd feel way too obligated to attempt to plan my moves two turns in advance or the like so that it doesn't basically pass a turn due to not being in range of an the enemy I wanted to attack.  Mapping out routes around the random map objects and into the enemies not so fun.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: April 09, 2013, 11:11:00 PM »
Yeah, I loved using Grappler just to chuck people off cliffs. Actually a tactic of some genuine use in a few maps!

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: April 09, 2013, 11:35:05 PM »
Such as 2-4, the hardest map in the game.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: April 09, 2013, 11:45:30 PM »
Enigmancer, uh, when most enemies have some crippling elemental weakness, give me Elementalist OC instead (as amusing as IFF can potentially be in some setups).

I essentially had both in practice - no offensive mage setup worth its salt in XF should be bereft of, at the VERY LEAST, Elementalist EQ forever - and Elementalist OC as well until Emulator kicks in. If you can get Mag +25% (and I'm a hard advocate in favor of it, though you probably won't get it by Act 2 without grinding), even better. Also, Devastate provides immediate crowd control, which Elementalist needs Widespread to apply - and both have the issue of needing Rush to work at its best anyway. They fill different and very useful niches in the end, and ideally you'll have both rather than pick-choose.

EDIT: Also, further in Enigmancer's defense, DISPEL is crazy useful by virtue of being the game's only status healing spell.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 08:55:17 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: April 10, 2013, 01:37:53 AM »
Upper Hand is practically the same move

Isn't Upper Hand specifically less powerful (it's the same as a basic physical, Drop Kick is better). Also, Swift Shock is great for pumping out melee damage over time. I'd also say that for Strider hype, AIM + 25% is a great pick up for physical fighters since without it, most classes for a lot of the game are hitting in the 70% range and it's at least not the final move to be learned.
...into the nightfall.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: April 10, 2013, 02:04:30 AM »
AIM +25% is useful, yes. Especially if you manage to also grab Secutor EQ, since that mitigates a lot of the issue with axe accuracy. Strider's stats are kind of shaky for the kind of skills it gets, but its general skill load is desirable for a lot of physical builds. It's cool like that. Also, Upper Hand works backwards in terms of power (lower height than enemy, better, also being able to hit higher altitudes than yours and ITE). Problem is mostly being in Halberdier OC, which is kinda bad otherwise.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: April 10, 2013, 03:59:57 AM »
Drop Kick's great and I find using physical builds without it kinda painful, 3 range vs. no 3 range. It having good power is just gravy. Also even if you have Upper Hand anyway, having both skills is very nice (one exploits downwards elevation, one upwards).

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: April 10, 2013, 08:14:56 AM »
Strider's a good class for Spoiler PC. Her badonkadonk is perfect for Drop Kick.

Also, in Ayesha news. Beat Grand Dragon. Easily the toughest superboss fight in a Gust game I've experienced. No clear and easy way to cheese. Combination of God Miracle Drug, Forbidden Capsule giving the occasional tripleturn, Secret Remedy with lots of buffing, Exa Bomb or Lightning Stern when I could (managed to Blind and Hold him a few times). Good equips though not as good as they could be. Didn't stack Skill Up, Red Power, Soul Words, and Stats + 6 enough. Oh well. Motherfucker is dead when I was on my last legs. Used the last Forbidden Capsule on Juris, attacked twice and Hail Mary'd his Special, heard the music come on, much rejoicing.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 08:20:59 AM by Hunter Sopko »

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #888 on: April 10, 2013, 08:58:50 AM »
Picked up Lollipop Chainsaw.  I haven't met her yet but I'm pretty sure I'm in love with Juliet's older sister, Cordelia.

I'm not sure if this game is weirder than No More Heroes, but it's probably gonna be close.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: April 10, 2013, 02:30:27 PM »
Drop Kick/Trail both work very well for that PC. Strider OC Is fantastic on the last PC and Felius both, it takes advantage of how heavy their unique gear is.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: April 10, 2013, 02:59:15 PM »
Bioshock Infinite: The deadliest weapon from Bioshock once again proved it was OP. Successfully recovered some gunsmithing tools from an impound. Sort of.

Uh. Yeah. This game went really, really weird all of the sudden. Good weird! Just weird.

Also, it distresses me a little bit about how some of the rhetoric from this game is so clearly of the era it is basing off of, but wouldn't have been out of place during last year's election. I know that that's the point, but still.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: April 10, 2013, 05:01:31 PM »
I feel like Edna just spent the last 2 hours mocking little girls for no reason.
And she's pretty much like Seymour from FFX.
In that I don't really know whether she has a weird suit or she's exposing her belly.

So far Berserker is good with Rush but rushing him every 3 turns is a pain.
My strider is downright pathetic... But I guess you're not really supposed to give her a bow.
Tony pretty much doesn't have any redeeming qualities anymore.

Yes I was going to mention XF being wayy more sadistic than Dark Souls
I checked a faq to see what were the bloody requirements for winning this battle. The faq mentioned nothing aside from "By now you should have maxed every class. Follow my exact same builds and steps, and you'll win this battle".
The most useless faq writer.

I got a whole one on my first run through the game. How anyone even found the super-sadistic bonus areas is beyond me. Nifflas went a little overboard on the secrets with this one.

I found it near the beginning of chapter 3!
By then I was starting to get accostumed to the controls and wasn't exactly ready for a Super Meat Boy challenge so I just ran away!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 05:03:51 PM by Fenrir »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: April 10, 2013, 05:05:13 PM »
Yes I was going to mention XF being wayy more sadistic than Dark Souls
I checked a faq to see what were the bloody requirements for winning this battle. The faq mentioned nothing aside from "By now you should have maxed every class. Follow my exact same moves and builds and steps, and you'll win this battle".
The most useless faq writer.

For 2-4, first you have to lower the health of three enemies to Crisis level (below 25% mHP). Then, you have 100 turns to either wipe the enemy forces or rush to the gate. Oh, and nobody on your side can die. Have fun.

I love that map.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: April 10, 2013, 05:20:25 PM »
Yeah I won it by turning EVERYBODY into excavators with long range attacks.
I nearly lost near the end because Tony, but used Sacred Slayer OC for infinite turns.
I think this battle would be pretty much unwinnable with decent enemy AI (enemies targetting the weakest PC and trying to maximize damage)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: April 10, 2013, 05:31:27 PM »
I often used Labby's Replica to bait enemies in that map. The real kicker is trying to manhandle the goddamned Elementalists there - everything else kinda sucks (Sentinels are egregiously bad against Elementalist OC and Geomancers are just egregiously bad). And Iunno, enemies usually didn't fail at their AI in that map (of all things >_>) and I still could manage just fine.

EDIT: Still, that map is -never- trivial. It always takes me a minimum of two resets for me to handle it, since your strategy and planning pretty much have to be top-notch at all times. Yet, it still allows for so many ways to win - Grapplers could have a FIELD DAY there by positioning enemies in places they don't want to be with the corner crevices, for instance. Your Excavator spam also works, and honestly it surprises the HELL out of me, since I never consider using Excavators offensively!

tl;dr I love XF.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 05:36:52 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: April 10, 2013, 05:43:49 PM »
Oh right I play games.

Fire Emblem: International Plot Writing of Stupid - I'm not even done with the Valm arc and the writing is egregiously dumb.

<ExcellusMikeMeyers> RARR WE HAVE YOUR SISTER FIGHT FOR US OR SHE DIES
<Yen'fay> okay
* Say'ri escapes, joins the party and chops heads.
<ExcellusMikeMeyers> RARR WE DON'T HAVE YOUR SISTER ANYMORE FIGHT WITH US ANYWAY BECAUSE UH AVRIL LAVIGNE
<Yen'fay> sure why not
* Yen'fay fights Say'ri, GIVES ZERO FUCKS, gets zero lines and gets one-rounded by Morgan.
<Morgan> Happy birthday!
<Say'ri> NOOOOOOOOOOOOO BROTHER YOU DIED TO SAVE ME
<Chrom> MIKE MEYERS YOU SCHEMING BASTARD
<Players> Wait a minute, he wasn't mind-controlling them? I mean, hypnotoad is a bad plot device, but it at least makes the terminal brain damage make SENSE.
<Chrom> SCHEMING BASTARD MIKE MEYERS MUST PAY
<Players> i am twelve and what is this

And let's not talk about the dropped Tiki plot threads please. Gameplay-wise, I finished all the child paralogues from my married ladies and beat the Tiki joining map. Fun little defense mission. Now, time to advance plot again and slaughter the universe with my overpowered children and reclassed PCs. Did you know Miriel can ride a pony with the best of them? Yeah.

LATE AS FUCK EDIT #grefter:

Quote from: Fenny
I feel like Edna just spent the last 2 hours mocking little girls for no reason.
And she's pretty much like Seymour from FFX.
In that I don't really know whether she has a weird suit or she's exposing her belly.

Answer: Yes.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 07:27:16 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: April 11, 2013, 07:23:14 AM »
Dark Souls DLC:

The environments and random mooks you fight are uninspiring but the bosses are best among the game.  Three times I got invaded by people who kept spamming HELLO and I'M SORRY speaking stones at me.  I apparently am missing one or two of them.   The best part of the DLC was following a cat that lead me to an invisible wall where I rescued a dog and summoned the dog for the boss.  He didn't do anything but hey it's a dog.

I wasn't following Dark Souls 2 information until I saw this, get hyped.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: April 11, 2013, 01:27:27 PM »
FE13: Robin Suepowers vs. Goldmember Red Riding Valmar's Horn MR. I RIDE A GODDAMN HORSE WHILE SITTING ON MY THRONE - Valm arc stupid finished! Valhart's offense is kinda scary, but it doesn't matter so much when he gets one-rounded by Robin/Maribelle pair-ups. I'm growing increasingly convinced that Dark Magic completely breaks the game, even moreso when the person toting it is a child character. Seriously, I could've had Laurent solo THE ENTIRE MAP with a roughly 0% chance of it going wrong. Now, for more trainwreck.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 04:40:57 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: April 11, 2013, 04:16:40 PM »
ShF3: Almost done with S2! Grinding for skill levels in the optional dungeon, as well as regular levels for the people I haven't used much. Penko's level 7 already and I'm not even done the first map - this is much easier than I remember, even with the boosted enemy defense.

Borderlands 2: Got this as a gift last week, playing Maya. It's definitely more engaging than the first game so far - Phaselock is more fun than any of the action skills the original four had to offer (especially since I mainly played Mordecai, and ye gods that falcon was lame), and ditching the bonuses to individual weapon types frees up slots for more entertaining things like magnetizing enemies and shooting them with acid clouds, which heals you on a kill.

Writing's fun too. The Lilith-cult quests? Gold.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: April 11, 2013, 04:42:35 PM »
Orcs Must Die- Playing a little of the first game, I am curious as to how it holds up. Holy crap.

A: You have way way *way* less power. I didn't realize how badly I missed things like Chilled thunderstorm and trinkets till they were gone.
B: Enemies like fliers seem to move way faster.
C: Fuck Nightmare in OMD1. Three seconds to set up!? Fail.
D: You get less coins to work with. Both in terms of starting amounts and how thin the first few waves are. Robot definitely refined the game's wave design in 2.

I knew there was a large gap in quality between the games, but I didn't realize how big until I replayed 1.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...