Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing 2013?  (Read 186774 times)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing 2013?
« Reply #1150 on: May 01, 2013, 04:49:06 AM »
Paragon Shep loves everyone equally.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: May 01, 2013, 05:43:23 AM »
Crisis Core- So after a long break where I stopped playing PSP games because I would be sure that there would be some easy way to connect a PSP to a PS 3 to a TV (which must exist. Does anyone actually know this), I finally beat this. Weird game. Battle system was kind of horrible in his button mashing glory. I took a long break in between, so I completely forgot there was a dodge and block button. Only would have mattered for the fight with Tri-Thundaga, which was I think the only reset. Balance was a not something they were trying for (Auto-Life that never wears off? I got that midgame and ran around forever with that. Also, Osmoga and it's 180%+ HP was not difficult to fuse early either). I realize that DMW works on some internal mechanic, but it was a clusterfuck for a system to be based around. The battles were inoffensive overall though.

Plot was weird. Had to go back to a plot summary to try and figure out who was trying to accomplish what (...Not even really sure what Genesis was aiming for at endgame). Thought Cissnei was going to die since she's never seen later, but apparantelly she just disappears timeline wise, which is just weird (As was Cissnei; not sure what exactly they were aiming for with her). It did mesh together well enough takes to a large dose of nostalgia.

I always thought Loveless was some trashy/sleazy play, so the play they played it up was really, really weird. Genesis' haircut made him extremely hard to take seriously. It was very lesbian/soccer mom hybrid. This, along with the fact that he really, really, really loved apples, was what stuck with me. Don't think that was their intention.
...into the nightfall.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1152 on: May 01, 2013, 05:59:04 AM »
Female salarians make up a tiny fraction of the species. They are egg-laying animals so that's workable. Females tend to be busy running the affairs of their extended family, over which they preside kind of like a Mob Godfather. You meet them a couple of times and they are the ones who wield all the political power.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: May 01, 2013, 10:53:17 PM »
Plot was weird. Had to go back to a plot summary to try and figure out who was trying to accomplish what (...Not even really sure what Genesis was aiming for at endgame). Thought Cissnei was going to die since she's never seen later, but apparantelly she just disappears timeline wise, which is just weird (As was Cissnei; not sure what exactly they were aiming for with her). It did mesh together well enough takes to a large dose of nostalgia.

Cissnei is there just to show the game is connected to Before Crisis.
You have to play that to find out what happened to those Turks.

In other words, commercial value.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: May 01, 2013, 11:10:28 PM »
Frankly, if we ignore Before Crisis, we can simply assume that Cissnei is the predecessor of Elena, and that after Crisis Core, she either resigned from the Turks due to Zack's fate or something along those lines.

I know, it's technically not canon because "Before Crisis", but from where I'm sitting, the less Crisis Core is forced to relate itself to anything the compilation besides FF7 proper, the better.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: May 01, 2013, 11:24:34 PM »
WA:XF - So GREFTAR HAS SOME ISSUES time.  I can't help myself, I upgrade weapons as soon as I can.  That means I have done excessive random battles because hey I could just do one and get some money to help fuel upgrades and get some CS to unlock some other classes OC skills.  So I assume I am going to be over powered/levelled for the rest of the game's content.  I am kind of okay with this given my badness at SRPGs.

Poor Geomancers though.  They don't seem like that great a class to be honest.  They introduce them to you with an enemy that is actually pretty okay in the Swamp level (lololol) but then once you get them they shit all over them.  Their weapon being like shorter range guns than FFT and not being able to dumbfire is kind of painful.  Like no maps have Leypoints until a few levels after they are unlocked.  That map they give you Leypoints as the Geomancer Tutorial and tell you to use Geos?  Geomancers fucking blow on that map.

So there is a bunch of leypoints that demons sit on and gain extra powers from?  Cool, lets get them to move off them and they Shutout the squares (with Geo OC on a Sacred Slayer or something).

You can't in fact do that.  So there goes that.  The only way Geo can move thing off Leypoints is to teleport them to another Leypoint, so that shits on that part of the strat. 

Okay, so hey at least they have all the different Leypoints setup so that as you work around the map the next guy you kill has weakness to the last leypoint you were on.  Cool, lets get some use from Ley Attack!  On the demons are out of weapon range no matter where you stand on the Leypoint.

You can only see Leypoints on the Geo's turn kind of kills my ability to give a fuck about Leypoints as well, I will just notice the enemy's move usage change or the damage prediction changes..

So at the end of it, what do you do?  Walk around outside of range of all but one dude and gank them with Elementalist or Levin's Blast and not give any fucks.

That map is pretty shitty and only because it specifically goes out of its way to defeat its own design choices.  I now assume Geos suck for the entire game and are not worth caring about.  For now Ley Points have been far too infrequent to be worth caring, their skillset outside of Shut Out is entirely worthless without them.  I kind of question the value of spreading a single leypoint across an entire map even.  I guess it lets you exploit elemental weakness on a grand scale easily?  It still leaves you entirely to the whims of the map design though.

I assume from this point on any time Geomancer is useful is when the game is channelling Disgaea map design which my opinion of has only dropped more and more as time goes on.  XFs other puzzle maps sure didn't help since they outside of a few were all better than Disgaea 1s map design.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: May 01, 2013, 11:27:36 PM »
Frankly, if we ignore Before Crisis, we can simply assume that Cissnei is the predecessor of Elena, and that after Crisis Core, she either resigned from the Turks due to Zack's fate or something along those lines.

I know, it's technically not canon because "Before Crisis", but from where I'm sitting, the less Crisis Core is forced to relate itself to anything the compilation besides FF7 proper, the better.

From the way I see it, if there is only the original FF7 with CC, everything is all good. Or maybe Vincent May Cry, for letting us spit on Lucretia.
AC and BC are the ones that really shouldn't exist.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: May 01, 2013, 11:46:29 PM »
The best things about Geomancers are:

-Their armour. Elemental resistance is hard to get and some of the most damaging enemy attacks are elemental.
-Translate to warp between two leypoints. There's a couple maps in Act 2 where this stands out as particularly useful.
-Shut Out is extremely useful in certain situations. Keep an enemy from moving, block a chokepoint, etc.
-Replace gets the paigeols off their leypoints, which I certainly found useful for the Geomancer tutorial fight. You can also Replace a paigeol onto their opposite leypoint, which instantly kills them. This needs Rush to truly shine but lots of skills do.
-They have the best the best MP of any class with worthwhile ATK (tied with the slower Sentinel), so I have used them as an okay carrier for low-MP physical PCs such as Ragnar.
-Ignore Move Cost and Crisis Move Up are welcome boosts to mobility especially on battlefields with lots of water or snow. Too bad the skills cost too much to be worth it.

Other than that, their weapon sucks, their stats are kinda meh outside the aforementioned niche, and their skillset is pretty shoddy. I've never gotten any use out of Ley Attack, Ley Boost is decent on paper but I've never bothered in practice, and all of their skills are situational.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: May 02, 2013, 12:32:18 AM »

Yeah, but apparentally they don't specifically deal with a resolution fo rher specifically at least by googling it. I guess it's more baffling because I'm not exactly sure what her intended purpose (plotwise) in CC was.
...into the nightfall.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: May 02, 2013, 01:02:41 AM »
WA:XF - So GREFTAR HAS SOME ISSUES time.  I can't help myself, I upgrade weapons as soon as I can.  That means I have done excessive random battles because hey I could just do one and get some money to help fuel upgrades and get some CS to unlock some other classes OC skills.  So I assume I am going to be over powered/levelled for the rest of the game's content.  I am kind of okay with this given my badness at SRPGs.

Yes you will. If you're going to grind, by 2-2 or something, a forest will open up where you'll get to fight Creeping Chaoses. They give you CP equal to half the damage dealt by the killing blow or something, and putting up a Labby Replica will get them stuck casting status or gravity damage (that deals no damage to the replica) most of the time, so if you -really- want to grind it out for skills, you have that option. Be aware that after a few maps, that forest will be unavailable until somewhere in act 3.

Quote from: Grefter
Poor Geomancers though.  They don't seem like that great a class to be honest.  They introduce them to you with an enemy that is actually pretty okay in the Swamp level (lololol) but then once you get them they shit all over them.  Their weapon being like shorter range guns than FFT and not being able to dumbfire is kind of painful.  Like no maps have Leypoints until a few levels after they are unlocked.  That map they give you Leypoints as the Geomancer Tutorial and tell you to use Geos?  Geomancers fucking blow on that map.

Geomancers are the biggest miss in terms of roleplayer classes in XF, hands down. Their selling points are the excellent EQ (across the board elemental resistance off okay stats that stacks with natural elemental resistances! It's quite significant. You can also do worse than ranged weaponry too, since no-strings-attached ranged physicals come at a premium in XF. The weapon stats themselves are junk, though, so way to waste Geomancer Atk) and Shut Out can be a neat tool for space control, but that's it. Geomancers just aren't very good, and I have no idea why they couldn't at least create leypoints themselves instead of roflcopters.

Quote from: Grefter
So at the end of it, what do you do?  Walk around outside of range of all but one dude and gank them with Elementalist or Levin's Blast and not give any fucks.

Doin' it rite. Also emphasizes why Geomancers were a botch in terms of design, and why there are a grand total of -three- maps where Leypoints are of any relevance at all. Hell, the map where it's most relevant is just because they let you get a treasure chest you don't really care about in the fucking hardest map in the game. Granted, it also helps fish an Elementalist away from their spot, which can be useful. STILL.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 01:04:44 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: May 02, 2013, 02:00:17 AM »
Wait so you are supposed to intuit to use the Zone control skill to OHKO an unseen before enemy?

Hahahahahaha.

Okay I will stick with Legit Snow Strats.

Also dude I ran into that I assume is Ragnar also explains Snow liking the game as much as the fact that he is villain cast.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: May 02, 2013, 04:02:14 AM »
Ragnar is horrible. Also, Ragnar failure aside:

Sometimes, you almost redeem yourself.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: May 02, 2013, 04:09:09 AM »
Mass Effect 2: My new friends make my old friends think I'm crazy. I cannot really blame them.

Apparently I should feed my fish more often. Like at all.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: May 02, 2013, 04:12:06 AM »
Maybe if they were cats you'd bother.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: May 02, 2013, 04:13:38 AM »
Boo apparently feeds himself man these slacker fish should follow his bold example.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: May 02, 2013, 05:00:55 AM »

Yeah, but apparentally they don't specifically deal with a resolution fo rher specifically at least by googling it. I guess it's more baffling because I'm not exactly sure what her intended purpose (plotwise) in CC was.

She was an extra character for Zack's DMW, and the game is starving for females.  if you squinted hard enough, you could get Tifa, I guess, but she's introduced late and Zack's interaction with her is brief (I suppose you could spin it such that he gets to know her during the week he spends in Nibelheim, but that'd be padding; Tifa's plenty developed in FF7, I don't think Crisis Core could really add much to her character.)

It also adds a character whose conflicted between her job and her feelings.  She clearly wants Zack to get back to Midgar, and evade Shinra, but her orders mean she has to act directly against her feelings.  She doesn't want to be a traitor for obvious reasons, so there's a legitimate conflict in her character here.  There was closure with her character in the sense that they got the point across that she clearly feels close enough to him that she was willing to tell him her real name (but never does, due to, well you know.)

They could have done more with her, but I don't feel she was a completely pointless and wasted character.  Without her, you'd be pushing Tseng everywhere, and some scenes would be awkward with Tseng there, so having a 2nd Turk helps.

To Niu: I'd argue only CC should be considered outside of FF7 proper.  BC just sounds like it's a retcon mess that wasn't well thought out at all.  AC just doesn't have a coherent story and is flat out disregard for FF7 characterization (if nothing else, Emo Cloud).

VMC...no, I'm sorry, "Hey it gives us a reason to hate Lucretia!" is not a good thing.  That'd be like saying XS3 is good for letting us spit on Shion...ok, it does let us "Choke a bitch" but after all the nonsense you have to put up with before AND after that, it's really not enough.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: May 02, 2013, 05:29:03 AM »
If you hit on your aide de campe (what is actual name for her?) enough she will feed your fish for you.

Snow, it is nothing about his character and everything about his practically sprayed on belly shirt and like fucken 12 pack or whatever the shit was going on there.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: May 02, 2013, 06:59:43 AM »
Dark Souls - Beat this! 64 hours, level 65 (str > vit > dex > faith/endurance for anyone who cares, somewhat haphazard build based on what I needed at the time).

Unfortunately, Fenrir, I can't really agree with you about Bed of Chaos hype. I want to like the fight... dodge hazards and do some platforming! But it's too short, and the walk to the fight is too long. Oh well. Wasn't really happy with any of the lord soul fights, my favourite fight during this arc of the game was the Demon Firesage who was at least kinda competent and made me learn his moves. Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith was pretty good for non-bosses though. Taurus and Capra Demons galore! (Capras still don't deal with shields, but fighting two at once is good fun.) I also liked the giant stompy guys. I liked them even more when I realised you can make them kill each other.

Final boss was fun, if different. Completely badass human! Has human weaknesses. Nothing I did seemed to work (as in, stop him from pummeling me) except parrying, which worked pretty well, so it was all about learning his timing to counter him to death. Halberds solve everything. Not as difficult as Bell Gargoyles or O&S (though the former was probably mostly me not learning the game yet) but pretty good, can't complain about him as a way to end the game.

I've commented enough on the game so far such that you can mostly guess my opinion of the game. When it's on, it's a good fun action game, deeper than it first looks and much deeper than some games of this type that seem to think having a couple RPG elements is an excuse to make your gameplay simplistic and dopey. Boss design is great when it's on its game, though there are some stinkers too... I think that's the price you pay for having this many bosses. Randoms are pretty fun, varied enough, always crucial in a game like this. I do quite like the sprawling world which is interconnected and you can find various shortcuts as the game goes on, kinda like a Castlevania or Metroid (and certainly better about it than Metroid Prime was!). It's better in the first half than the second, unfortunately.

The game has all manner of design decisions, typically in the pursuit of being seen as hard, which are questionable (if few that make me outright think "this sucks"). Long walks to boss fights in a game with only one life? Meh, feels needlessly punitive. Give me lives, yellow orbs, save points closer to bosses, whatever. At times it works really well; Sen's Fortress (possibly my favourite area of the game) wouldn't be the same if it gave you an extra bonfire in the middle. At others it works less well, there's really only so many times I want to kill/avoid the same set of enemies. The game also sends me for a FAQ far too often. Not the end of the world, I figured out very quickly this would be the case, but I don't really get it as a design decision. They even seem to want you to play online where apparently other players will leave you messages telling you most of the FAQ-bait things, so why even bother? Inventory system is also pretty bleh, given that if I ever want to use three weapons (including talismans, pyromancy gloves, etc.) I need to scroll through lots of crap which I can't organise. Unorganisable inventory in 2011, seriously? Maybe I missed a way to do it, I just realised this has been annoying me for 50 hours and I should probably have asked you guys about this before. Whoops. (And yes, I'm aware trashing things in your inventory or feeding them to that weird snake dude is an option.)

Game's too long. Ultimately that's my biggest complaint. I want a 30 hour game that I can replay in 10, they gave me a 60 hour game that I can replay in... 20? 30? I dunno. Just too much. It really dulls the potential, to me, of playing with different builds, because good lord, after all this time I really don't want anything more to do with the game for a while. All the games this one most seeks to emulate (oldschool NES titles, Metroids, Castlevanias, DMC, God Hand, etc.) are way shorter and I'm thinking there is a reason for this. I imagine this complaint will be lost on the people who love the game but so it goes.

Game really dropped the ball on plot/setting/atmosphere as well. Writing was nonsense from beginning to end, I didn't really know what was going on, NPCs illuminated nothing about what the fuck I was doing. I can read up on it online but I really don't give a shit, there was nothing whatsover in the hints the game dropped that suggested this game's plot was remotely interesting. Even for a barely existant plot it manages to be bungled ('sup, Fire Keeper murderer arc). Yes there's sceneskip so it's ultimately not a big deal, but ugh, somehow this nonsense annoys me more than having no plot whatsoever, or goofy plots. It's nice to have something to play the game for besides the gameplay side of things.

No music outside bosses is terrible. Makes a lot of areas feel lifeless. Sometimes that's the point, but when literally every area besides the Firelink Shrine does it it quickly loses all impact, and adds to the feeling of "why the fuck am I doing this" that pervades the game. Aesthetically it does do some things well though; environments are great and there are some good monster designs in there (obviously Sif is the best, nobody debates this I hope).

Good thing that gameplay's good! Change a lot of things about this and you have a 10/10 game. On the other hand, remove that gameplay and dear god this gets dropkicked after about hour 4. As is it can chill with a 6.5ish. Might have a firmer opinion on this once I have some distance. It's been a pretty fun/interesting ride but I'm glad it's over.

Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: May 02, 2013, 07:06:12 AM »
The game needed to not lose to FF1 in plot...
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: May 02, 2013, 07:48:15 AM »
Bottemless Box allows you to store nearly anything you want at bonfires when you buy it.  I think you can organize stuff somehow I've just... never felt the need.

There's one other area that has a music track.  Otherwise having something playing all the time could interfere with audio cues for enemies which are exceedingly helpful.  Hearing when some jackass is sneaking up on me has saved my bacon loads of times.  Boss fights are less of an issue because you're always focusing on the boss, so gogo epic boss tracks.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: May 02, 2013, 07:52:21 AM »
If I felt that way (About enemies sneaking up) I could adjust the music volume. As is I don't feel any need, I can separate sound from music just fine (I play DMC with music on, audio cues are a big deal in that game).

Maybe.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1171 on: May 02, 2013, 12:29:55 PM »
Snow, it is nothing about his character and everything about his practically sprayed on belly shirt and like fucken 12 pack or whatever the shit was going on there.

Well, that's certainly the only reason -I- could find to like Ragnar! (I am probably the closest thing to a Ragnar fan in the DL.)

Games:

Mana Khemia 2:
Beat Ulrika path! That was p. cool, let's do it again!
Raze Path: Lily makes everything better. Her obsession with the Puni creatures is wonderfully unbalanced.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: May 02, 2013, 12:35:04 PM »
WA:XF - So this stop Berserkers and Geomancers map isn't heaps of fun.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: May 02, 2013, 02:43:00 PM »
Man, and I actually really like that map. The key there is trying to balance your forces to spread out on both directions, since you can blockade the ten million move Geomancer. As usual, Elementalist EQ+OC is your friend, you want that offense.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: May 02, 2013, 02:45:58 PM »

Well, that's certainly the only reason -I- could find to like Ragnar!

I'll refrain from quoting a certain remark regarding Ragnar's looks for reasons of: -someone- has to keep this topic's dignity from spiraling into exponential negatives (#grefterfishing). As for me, the helium balloon pec look does absolutely nothing but make Ragnar look like he was spat out of a Tex Avery cartoon. I'm not even a fan of bulging muscles on real people, let alone anime people.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 02:51:05 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »