Register

Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing 2013?  (Read 186810 times)

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing 2013?
« Reply #1525 on: June 12, 2013, 03:38:47 AM »
FF13-2: finished epic animu rivalry scenes between a KH character and some guy who went to the penis envy school of weapon picking

Then I punched a bunch of flans because shit, that's what I do.

we need a return of science

FFD: I'm in the final part of the game now. I just finished the second-to-last 'real' dungeon and I'm going through all of the little time warps now.

Party looks like this, all around Level 70:

Alba: Level 20 Ninja with full Monk skillset, STR+20%, and Backliner equipped. Ninja is silly fast in this game, kinda like Ursula from FF4TAY. Backliner allows you to attack from the back row at full damage. Probably the best character due to the mad speed. Has Smash as her F-Ability which is great.

Glaive: Level 15 Magus with Doublecast. Doublecast Flare is a thing that happens.

Sol: Level 19 Dragoon with full Warrior skillset, STR+20%~ Not as fast as Alba but still pretty fast; makes up for the lower damage and speed with having decent durability and White Wind from F-Ability.

Dusk: Level 15 Seer with Summon and MP+20%. The essential support character (has Hastaga!) and can beat down some randoms too. Diablos is broken in this game.

Aigis: Level 20 Paladin with Doublehand, STR+20%, Damage to MP. Tanky and decent damage, better MT than Sol but is slower.

Definitely a twist on FF5 in the same way that TAY is a twist on FF4. The game's writing is very lazy except for the ridiculous Alba, who breaks the fourth wall a few dozen times. The cute white mage with the cat ears hitting bitches with lightning bolts made me smile too I admit! Otherwise this game is mostly a gameplay experience. I like the boss design, I like the dungeons, and I definitely like the split parties and how they threw a wrinkle in the job system by not letting everyone have the same combination of classes. it doesn't have the wacky, random deaths of FF5 with the Level whatever spells, which I do appreciate.  I am really surprised that this game is so long! I am at 46 hours right now. Absolutely worth the 18 bucks I spent on it.

SMB2: Been playing this a lot lately. Beat the game once using only Princess, one game trying to use everyone equally, one game using everyone but Princess equally and trying to figure out who works best for each level, and one playthrough which I rolled a dice for who would do each level. Drew Toad for the last level both attempts! :(

Suikoden I: Racial tension over, time to go kill recruit a douchey narcissist.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 03:46:06 AM by Luther Lansfeld »
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1526 on: June 12, 2013, 09:54:57 AM »
You're not using SARA?! Clearly you are playing wrong by not honoring the Tallychus.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: June 12, 2013, 03:51:51 PM »
???

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: June 13, 2013, 02:48:35 PM »
New Super Mario Bros. U:  I haven't played any of the other games barring a brief political stint with NSMBW at DLCon, so...yeah, keep that in mind for some of my comments!  Actually, this is going to be a brief rant.

That said, finished the main game.  Outside of a few levels near the end, the game is a tad too easy;  Only a few stages I actually died, even less I died multiple times (though these stages I died 5+ times because Luigi box appeared), and the game hands out free lives like candy.  I had over 80 lives by the end of the game!

Still fun if easy at times.  The boss variety is neat too, albeit fighting that SMB3 Mini Boss a bunch of times got old.  They did try to make him different in a number of ways, but still felt like the same fight over and over again.  The Koopalings being in the game is always a treat, and the fights were creative.  Roy and Ludwig stood out as the most interesting fights to me, albeit most were still easy (none of them had me dying more than once.)
The last Mid-Castle having Kamek as the boss was a nice touch, though, and he's a legitimately fun fight.  Nice change of pace from fighting the same guy 6 times, and it always bugged me in Yoshi's Island that you never actually fought Kamek seeing as he was the game's main villain (albeit, to Yoshi's Island's credit, the Baby Bowser twist at the end was funny.  Kamek just being the stooge for a whiny, toddler whose entire motive is "Wants to ride the weird green pony" was just glorious and fits into Yoshi's Islands less-than-serious narrative well.)

Bowser Jr...needs to go away.  He's so forced into this game it can't be emphasized.  He pops up mid-game, does that laugh which gets old REALLY FAST.  There's a trademark, and then there's being a one note pony who can't do anything else.  All he does is appear, "AHAHAHAH!" then try to act like he's awesome.  Go away, you're not amusing, you're annoying in that cute way, and you completely fail as a villain in any sense, and every scene your in is a scene they could have put Bowser.  His first boss fight is the over done "hit target with their own heat seeking missile" gimmick that I've seen in Mario Galaxy multiple times already, and it's even less interesting here because 2D.  Swim around in a circle, slight sharp angle, success.  ALso, shoving his face in a bunch of castles near the end adds nothing to the game in any sense.  It's just "that is ugly, and not in a good way."   Bowser Jr., you are NOW Bowser, and you never will be.

The 2nd fight tried, I guess, but still came off as forced.  Didn't help that it was tied to probably the most annoying stage in the game; the only self-moving stage, which I can deal with, that also forces a Motion Control gimmick that the game never eevn touched upon before.  No, seriously; the game never really touches Motion Controls until this point, then goes "Oh yeah, start tilting the Wii U Gamepad to move this thing."  Wish they just did, I dunno, balance based controls, as in, the platform moves based on where Mario is standing; I know they've done this before, but it feels more natural than the pad.

Bowser himself...well, I do love the whole retro thing leading up to him, and the retro style fight itself!  Of course it's a blatant cocktease because it's too simple and the final boss fight is probably the one time they actually made use of Bowser Jr. in a remotely worthwhile way. 

Oh, and Ghost Houses are annoying.  Part of this is the music; it's annoying after the 2nd loop.  The other problem is the gimmick of "illusion based stage" gets old.  Yes, I know Super Mario World had them, but I remember there being less of them and they were better spaced out.  I'll give props to the final Ghost House though; the rotating rooms was a neat gimmick.

Anyway, was decent fun, but won't go WOMG AMAZING or anything.  The Multiplayer still exists of course and that's as trainwreck and friendship breaking inducing as always...especially with a 5th player.  I played Single Player because I knew Multi-player would never allow me to actually finish the game <_<
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: June 13, 2013, 08:50:43 PM »
It's funny, I read that post and I have to remind myself you're describing a game I haven't played, because almost everything you mention is something from one of the first three NSMBs or SMB3. Kinda the direction Nintendo has gone with that series, which I can't say I approve of but I'll keep buying all the games for systems I own anyway because they're pretty damn good (although NSMB2 was starting to stretch my patience a bit).

Bowser Jr. is in the game because he's in all the NSMB games (and indeed, every Mario game made this century so far as I'm aware), and was the main villain of the first (Bowser appears only to be killed and revived as DRY BOWSER for the epic final confrontation). I can't speak for his portrayal in NSMBU but generally he's great and you need to stop hatin'.

God Hand Hard Mode - Chapters 3-5? Pretty easy by God Hand HM standards, I only had like ~30 continues each (with only Azel really scanning as particularly tricky boss-wise during that arc). Chapter 6? That was a whole 'nother problem. I had significant issues with the "Whip it!" stage (15 consecutive randoms, all but one fought at least two at a time unavoidably, and me with only one roulette orb), the crazy telekinetic old man (whom I never found notable on NM, but his grunts being way better makes all the difference), and Demon Shannon.

The Last Story - At what I have to assume is the final boss. The story goes into a bit of a lull when it isn't about Count Arganan or Dagran, which is a fair bit of the lategame, but eh. Gameplay did get better, as advertised, though I still could never bring myself to call this a gameplay game despite some good effort/groundwork being there.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: June 13, 2013, 08:54:56 PM »
I like how you call only 30 wipes easy. God Hand must be a strange little beast.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: June 13, 2013, 09:16:19 PM »
FF13-2: *throws a moogle at Snow, acquires Hipster Glasses*

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: June 13, 2013, 09:29:54 PM »
I thought you -weren't- playing Theatrhythm.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: June 13, 2013, 10:56:50 PM »
Bowser Jr. is in the game because he's in all the NSMB games (and indeed, every Mario game made this century so far as I'm aware), and was the main villain of the first (Bowser appears only to be killed and revived as DRY BOWSER for the epic final confrontation). I can't speak for his portrayal in NSMBU but generally he's great and you need to stop hatin'.

I dunno.  Everything I've seen about him in Super Mario Galaxy is just annoying too.  I don't find him "Great" in any sense of the word.  He's an unoriginal design (...yes, it's unoriginal; it's literally just Baby Bowser from Yoshi's Island) with no real qualities as a character that adds anything (he's unfunny, he has no real unique personality quirks other than a laugh and just taunts Mario in...uncreative matters, and he lacks Bowser's classic charm)

This is a cheaply made character who they keep bringing back.  I'm sorry, he's not great, and I know it's subjective, but I will keep hating him forever.  Congrats on making me more annoyed at him actually by making that statement <_<

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: June 13, 2013, 10:59:31 PM »
A very adult response to someone disagreeing with you.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: June 13, 2013, 11:10:38 PM »
I'm apparently missing what makes him worse than the Koopa Kids or Kamek (beyond "well they appeared in games I played as a child" which I strongly suspect is the real reason here). You can't seriously claim any of them have more personality than he does. And Bowser's child looks quite a bit like Bowser did as a child, yeah... shocking!

But hey, don't let me get in the way of your pointless hating of things, just expect to be annoyed as all signs point to him appearing regularly in Mario games for the forseeable future.

Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: June 13, 2013, 11:32:35 PM »
A very adult response to someone disagreeing with you.

Hey, he told me to stop hating!  So I responded by overreacting like a jerk <_<

And I dunno; I just get bugged by him.  Kamek at least had dialog before every boss in Yoshi's Island and there was something...charming? about him.  He also didn't have the stupid laugh which they used no less than 4 times in a 3 minute time span.  The Koopalings I won't deny are total nostalgia, and part of my dislike for Bowser Jr. is how they were literally using him as a replacement for all 7 of them for a while (or so it felt like), and nothing I saw about him really justified doing that because he was about as unoriginal as they come (the design point is more an illustration of lack of creativity; came off as "make a new character with little effort, so just reuse a design and call it something else!"  Waluigi bugs me for the same reason; "make an evil Luigi because why not!"  Granted, I know the original reason was a Wario doubles partner Mario Tennis, they just never let go of him.)

I just don't see what makes him "Great"other than "He's in a Mario game, therefor I should like him!" which seems to be the defense.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: June 13, 2013, 11:36:20 PM »
Clearly the only thing to be done is to resurrect the Rate The Character topic and make a spreadsheet of MARIO SERIES CHARACTERS.  Then we'll finally know the numerical truth behind if the laugh is annoying or not.

That said.  I can't say Bowser Jr. did a whole lot for me in NSMB DS, the only one I've played.  I'm not saying the Koopa Kids would necessarily have been much better, though!  Mario characters plot, time to stop thinking.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: June 13, 2013, 11:51:37 PM »
I think we can all safely agree that Fawful will rank high <_<

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: June 14, 2013, 05:20:34 AM »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: June 14, 2013, 05:35:01 AM »
I just don't see what makes him "Great"other than "He's in a Mario game, therefor I should like him!" which seems to be the defense.

That's definitely not it, since I don't think Kamek is particularly great! Or any of the koopalings besides Roy (Roy is awesome and I won't hear anyone say different! This may not be very rational).

Anyway, Mario characters are of course shallow as hell, so the reasons I like Bowser Jr.:
-That laugh. Particularly great in Double Dash after he pelts someone with an item. (Also on the Double Dash note, his epic bawling if he loses, like you just know Bowser is going to beat him up for his failure.)
-The audacity of raising your dad from the dead as a zombie and having a tag-team boss fight with him.
-His tendency to be a silly villain even in SMG which manages to screw up Bowser by making him too serious. (not that SMG is Bowser Jr.'s best showing either)

That's pretty much it!

Maybe.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: June 14, 2013, 07:59:33 AM »
Oh man for the first time ever I agree with Meeple
Baby versions of already existing characters rank only slightly higher than QTEs on the terrible scale. You could always replace Bowser jr with Bowser and have something better. As a villain he doesn't have Bowser's size, the Koopaling's numbers/diversity or Kamek's flying or old school wizard trickz, he's just an annoying jerk kid. Which makes for a pretty bad antagonist even for a freaking Mario game.

(This is all the srs talk I can take about Mario)

"I'm apparently missing what makes him worse than the Koopa Kids or Kamek"
Dude, Ludwig Von Koopa
They should have made all the koopa kids after historical figures. Koopa Marx. Isaac Koopa (throws apples at you)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1542 on: June 14, 2013, 08:37:36 AM »

"I'm apparently missing what makes him worse than the Koopa Kids or Kamek"
Dude, Ludwig Von Koopa
They should have made all the koopa kids after historical figures. Koopa Marx. Isaac Koopa (throws apples at you)

I think Fenrir wins.

Bonus, Koopa Marx reanimating the dead would make perfect sense.  Must crush capitalism.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: June 14, 2013, 03:25:25 PM »
Holy rollerblading Batman smokes!~

Okami HD- Flowers, flowers, flowers everywhere~~~

Meeple why didn't you tell me I could cause flowers to burst into being everywhere or make leaves spring up or whirl through the air while running and jumping (lovely orange/red ones in the air)!?!!! Or DID you!?  :P I also have the ability to cause trees to burst up into being too now =)

Just finished doing stuffs in the field and returned to the village except for giving the guardian statue behind the wall an offering since I am not sure how to do so and I'm not sure what the green circle of light in the pond outside the Dojo's is for other than the fact Ammy doesn't drown while in that part of the pond >_>

Edit - Oh yeah!, forgot to mention since I am just playing the game again now, both Mr and Mrs Orange are hilarious! Just saw Mr Orange dancing~

I also figured out I can make the dog in the village jump into the air on all four legs every time I bark at it, I am very amused right now in general~

What should I be focusing on for boosting with Praise? Also Issun says it's safe to sell the statues and stuff I've found, is he telling the truth!? :P
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 06:24:18 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: June 14, 2013, 04:31:43 PM »
Earthbound - Replaying this again.  Cheating like crazy - specifically, I've used a Save State Editor to give me the Gutsy Bat, Magic Fry Pan, Gaia Beam, 3 Rabbit's Feet, 2 Souvenir Coins, a Goddess Ribbon, and all the "of Kings" equipment, just so I don't have to really try to get to the end of the game.  I know I'm robbing myself of some of the experience, but I'm kind of on a timer right now.

Just got to Scaraba.  Levels are 42/36/38/23.  I haven't run away from fights and fought everything close to my path, but I haven't gone out of my way to fight that many extra encounters through enemy spawns.  I'm worried that I'll wind up overleveled compared to other people, but I'll just have to wait until the end of the game to really see.

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: June 14, 2013, 04:43:10 PM »
Penny Arcade: Climbing a tree. The Merch fight is a bitch even on Veteran. Possibly it's time to stop coasting with my party makeup.

Borderlands 2: Got back to Sanctuary, holy crap there are so many sidequests. Currently I am scavenging shields to dump into a woodchipper, before that I re-enacted The Good, The Bad And The Ugly with rocket launchers and telekinesis.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: June 15, 2013, 06:04:43 AM »
Tales of Graces F: Completed sometime early in the week.

General thoughts; liked it better than Vesperia. Less general bullshit, enjoyed the characters more even if the plot itself wasn't great.
I have really mixed feelings about this game in general. I want to like it more, but there are just some issues I have that I don't think I can get over. The battle system is revamped which is both good and bad. Long story short - Star Ocean 3 already did it and did it better. I could go on a rant but since people like to take opinions as gospel, all you need to know is that I was not impressed. Considering Star Ocean 3 came out like 5 or 6 years earlier, it should be *better* in every way, not consistently worse. Oh well. Maybe all this really says is that I Tales battle systems do not attract me. Also, the music sucks. About the only good piece is Unspoken Feelings. Oh, the opening was good too, but that's about it >_>.

So yeah, play it for the characters (DRACULA RICHARD), and the battle system if that's your cup of tea. Game's probably about a 6.5 or 7/10 for me. Would probably dock all the other Tales games by one after this one though. Now, on to more important matters...

Wild ARMS 4 - 4th Speedrun completed
I plan to re-run Divine Weapon a couple of times to see if I can shoot down form 3 faster, but long story short, this run blows my previous run out of the water. I finish the game to the Ex. File point in 5 hours, 5 minutes and 44 seconds. That's about 18 minutes and 22 seconds faster than my old time. So yeah, I completely crushed it. If you use SDA's methodology and stop the timer on the kill, its about 5 hours and 2 minutes. So yes, it's really close to sub 5, which means if you scrutinize every little thing, you'll probably hit that point. I'm completely burned out though at this point. Having spent a year and a half to produce this, it's by far my best work (the time should tell you) as the executions and the strategies were all better. More short cuts, lots of crazy little tricks and most importantly, finding fixed strategies for every fight sans Earthbound Dead, Jeremy 1, Miscreation and Divine Weapon 3. That's pretty insane. Considering the fact that we started off with like 30 bosses with no known fixed strats or approach, the progress that I've been able to make over the course of 4 years still amazes me. I imagine in time, we will eventually decipher things like Accelerator and the RFX mystery when RFX goes above 500. But that's for another day.

Also, special thanks of course to Tal, who although didn't help with anything past my second attempt, laid a lot of the framework for some of the strategies that are still being used. Also, thanks to Sage/NEB/Snow for their continued interest (also, stat topic + Tiny flower tip) and Super/Grefter for conversing with me when I felt like stopping at various points but kept going. I suspect I won't be speed running, but will still do my yearly play through though.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: June 15, 2013, 06:55:15 AM »
Meeple why didn't you tell me I could cause flowers to burst into being everywhere or make leaves spring up or whirl through the air while running and jumping (lovely orange/red ones in the air)!?!!! Or DID you!?   I also have the ability to cause trees to burst up into being too now =)

I thought it was strongly implied!  After all, you can sort of do all that while playing as Ammy in MvC3!  I thought you'd have picked upon that part or something!
...yeah, I got nothing.  I think I might have mentioned it once or twice, but I can't remember.

As far as praise goes?  Don't worry too much about what you focus on.  Just raise whatever you feel like, game won't penalize you for the wrong decision once.  Okami is a very forgiving game in terms of difficulty, and it's not really demanding in terms of optional things ever.  So just go with whatever you want/feel you need at the moment, and you'll be fine.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 07:00:05 AM by Meeplelard »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: June 15, 2013, 07:25:35 AM »
Ludwig von Koopa would be pretty great if he was a composer or deaf or -something-, as is it's just a cool name. I'd have loved Historical Koopas.

God Hand - Chapter 7. I was really worried about Great Sensei, he took a bunch of tries. Then I realised that Shaolin Blast + Godhand took off like 95% of his HP. Whoops! (Yeah, I'd been trying crazy shenanigans with Chain Yanker assuming his HP wouldn't be that bad).

The Last Story - So the final boss is pretty tough! GameFAQs thinks I should be 5-10 levels higher than I am though so that may be why! Not sure how this is, I didn't feel like optional quests added that much exp from those I did but maybe I missed some key late ones.

Maybe.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: June 15, 2013, 12:49:20 PM »
Tales of Graces F: Completed sometime early in the week.

General thoughts; liked it better than Vesperia. Less general bullshit, enjoyed the characters more even if the plot itself wasn't great.
I have really mixed feelings about this game in general. I want to like it more, but there are just some issues I have that I don't think I can get over. The battle system is revamped which is both good and bad. Long story short - Star Ocean 3 already did it and did it better. I could go on a rant but since people like to take opinions as gospel, all you need to know is that I was not impressed. Considering Star Ocean 3 came out like 5 or 6 years earlier, it should be *better* in every way, not consistently worse. Oh well. Maybe all this really says is that I Tales battle systems do not attract me. Also, the music sucks. About the only good piece is Unspoken Feelings. Oh, the opening was good too, but that's about it >_>.

Star Ocean 3 didn't "do it".  The games' battle systems are pretty different.

I guess you didn't like it as much, and that's obviously okay, but the games aren't similar enough to say that ToGf is just SO3 but worse.