Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing 2013?  (Read 186442 times)

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing 2013?
« Reply #2175 on: September 29, 2013, 04:11:38 PM »
The Heart is pretty alarming, too.  She occasionally has lines like "How do I know all this?" or "Why am I here?"  I get the impression she's an imprisoned soul or the like who can't remember her actual life due to a curse, but maybe I'm reading too deeply into it.  Whether this is punishment or reward as far as the Outsider is concerned, I'm not sure.

Even if we accept that the Outsider is in fact just Pan, the rather understandable fact that lunatics & killers worship him and authentically get power means that I can't blame the Overseers too much for being suspicious and wanting to "interrogate" worshipers.  (Also, the Overseers have enough uncomfortable parts to 'em they're clearly not the heroes, of course, for staters the whole "kidnap children and kill some for recruits" part.  But distrusting the Outsider is understandable!)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: September 29, 2013, 08:57:23 PM »
That is pretty much the point of it yes.  The Outsider isn't nice (an uncaring god out for its own amusement), but people do a whole lot of terrible shit to each other without his help, but use him as justification for an awful lot.

Spoilers for implied stuff at end game you may not want to know, but is a discussion point.

It is implied and all but stated directly in the last stages that the heart is the Empress.  Ignoring the obvious symbolism that goes with this and just straight up viewing the literal components to it is such a great example of how fucked up The Outsider is.  I am not sure if it is a joke to him, he thinks it is a nice thing to do or if it is just pragmatic to give Corvo something useful to achieve his goals.  I come out interpreting a mix of all three.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: September 30, 2013, 02:09:30 AM »
Endless Frontier: Holy crap Reiji hits hard.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: September 30, 2013, 02:44:13 AM »
Tales of Xillia: Thinking "Gee, it'll be more efficient to get Kills on the Devil Arms by linking two characters who need them!" was horribly wrong.  I completely forgot that the Magnuz Zero enemies get buffed too because on Normal the Arms get unlocked so you won't feel it.  But now, it's become rather quite painful to play as something other than my intended Jude.  Even with Leia being able to Sharpness her P,ATK to max she can't cut it under my control.  By the time it takes me to clear one area using Leia+Alvin I could clear three with Jude+Alvin.  Alvin's Charge Armor skill also has a wrong description.  It says you can't be staggered while Charged but it really means you can't be staggered while Charging.  The lack of Link Artes that the other characters have with each other hurts too, even if the Elize+Leia death copter is unbridled WIN.  I also misread the description for Sharpening Pulse's debuff.  It's a 40% chance to debuff, not a 40% debuff.  It's really more like 30% when it hits, which is still good and all.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: September 30, 2013, 03:28:49 AM »
Endless Frontier: Holy crap Reiji hits hard.

Particularly at that point in the game, where you have no high-end offense-buffing spirits. He'll be game-best damage throughout the game no matter what even with the questionable mults on some of his attacks, though the gap closes considerably once other damage buffs come into play.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: September 30, 2013, 03:40:20 AM »
BG2: Steamrolled Bodhi, now embarking on spree of earlygame quests I am massively overqualified for. Also apparently I forgot to grab the Gesen Bowstring when I was in Spellhold. That's, uh...you can't get back there, can you. Dammit. Sorry Imoen, you'll just have to keep failing at damage. Here, have this flying dagger that sets people on fire. I know it's not the same, but it'll have to do.

Starting out the Unseeing Eye bit, bench Jaheira for Keldorn and she gets all pissy. Apparently she leaves permanently if you kick her out after clearing her personal quest? She outright says as much. Not really a big deal since she'd get booted in ToB anyway, but I did intend to bring her along to smack Jon in the face. Oh well.

This old dude named Elminster's been following me around for two games now. I feel like I should kill him. Is such a thing...permissible?

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: September 30, 2013, 04:57:28 AM »
She should be outside the Harper Stronghold at the docks unless you did something seriously fucked up (Or I am forgetting some flags for things that can happen?).

Jaheira is just moody (which is why she is 10/10).  Edit - Wiki suggests it is a requirement in her romance that she never leave, so it is probably just a warning about that.  FOR SOME REASON SHE DOESN'T HANDLE ABANDONMENT WELL.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: September 30, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »
Well yeah Jude is the best character in the game and everything. Dat Palm Strike/Shattering Demon Fist and all :) My Leia has 6'500~ P-ATK on her Devil Arm (also has the highest A-Attack >_>) but that's because I used her all of my first run and most of my second run as too (well she was always in the party either way even the rares times I wasn't maining her except arena/etc) but I did forget she would be able to hit the caps sooner due to Sharpness/Elemental Impulse. Can't remember if enough enemies in Magnus Zero have elemental weaknesses for you to take advantage of the combined Sharpness/Elemental Impulse (off Mystic Symbol) effect though. I usually forget/don't remember her buffs going on the offensive with her since I usually take to the air straight away since I've been trying to master aerial master shenanigans this run <_< You're right about the Link Artes, Leia/Alvin don't really have any great ones, Invigorating Rain is probably the best one but then Sharpening Pulse is probably better =/ Might just be better off sticking to Leia/Jude for it? (assuming if you want to fully max out Leia's Devil Arm naturally/without buffs later) Tempest Pirouette did more for me than Spinning Thunder but then I didn't have all the buffs up, hmnn.

Spiral Strike spam is probably Leia's best arte for really driving up the link gauge (you probably know this already)?

Leia is supposedly a lot better in Xillia 2. Speaking of which it just arrived! :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 12:04:09 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: September 30, 2013, 11:44:31 AM »
Disgaea D2: C4, Dis1 characters with Dis4 (I think) mechanics. Flonne and moth riding mage kill everything
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: September 30, 2013, 12:03:37 PM »
She should be outside the Harper Stronghold at the docks unless you did something seriously fucked up (Or I am forgetting some flags for things that can happen?).

Jaheira is just moody (which is why she is 10/10).  Edit - Wiki suggests it is a requirement in her romance that she never leave, so it is probably just a warning about that.  FOR SOME REASON SHE DOESN'T HANDLE ABANDONMENT WELL.

Yeah, I just checked and she is in fact not hanging around the Harper building like she normally would be. Which makes sense because they've tried to kill her repeatedly.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: September 30, 2013, 01:11:24 PM »
Huh, maybe she gets pissy if you boot her twice?  Or were you on character quest?  Weird.  Oh well I guess?  (Use Mazzy instead.  Don't you dare touch Cernd).

Icewind Dale - Since there is so much Infinity Engine going on I was all excited and wanted to play something that I hadn't done in ages and Andy has Planescape covered, so I went with the second shittiest game in the engine (IWD2 would be a better game if it wasn't such a giant clusterfuck of bugs and jamming 3rd Ed rules into 2nd Ed engine).  I am done with first level of Dragon's Eye.  Interested if Yxonumei is as bullshit as I remember.  Running all pure classes because I am like that.  Fighter, Thief, Cleric, Druid, Bard, Mage.  Because IWD is mostly low level so that running that many casters isn't so bad.  I really should have grabbed another fighter type (paladin probably) instead of the Druid, but Druid's get interesting spells in IWD1.  They wanted them to be legit competition for Clerics in the dungeon crawl game, so they get solid selection of the token healing (Think they even get Res and Heal) and get enough offensive spells to be a ghetto Wizard. 

I am regretting the Bard as I always do for several reasons.  Primarily I don't like scroll management of who learns what.  If I want 2 arcane users I normally get a Sorcerer in BG1 with Tutu.  BG2 showers you in scrolls so it isn't so bad.  The other reason I regret it is that the Bard is about to unlock Level 3 spells.  This is the point where Bards > Wizards for raw damage in spell casting due to character level driving spell damage and Rogue spell experience tables (Level 7 Bard at 40k experience, Wizard level 6 at 40k Experience with 2 level 3 slots, extra D6 on Skull Trap.  This will persist well into level 20 (where spell level caps out in base IE games).  Bard doing 20d6 with Skull Trap at 2.2 Million experience compared to Wizard not getting it until 3.75 Million.  When the Bard has it capped out the Wizard will be level 16 (in 50k more exp).  It only really gets out of hand around level 12/13.  So the Mage can pretend to be good at damage for a few more levels. 

That said I fully accept that this is a real total artifact of Infinity Engine games with Skull Trap.  First of all it deals non-elemental Magical damage, the least resisted damage type in the game (see why Horrid Wilting is so strong in BG2).  Secondly it isn't capped on spell level like Fireball, so it keep d6/level damage relevant at level 3 slots for way longer than it should since damage level cap is the primary scaling factor for spell levels up to 8 (where they start dropping d8s).  Thirdly Skull Trap live up to its name.  You can spam a pile of them somewhere and lure enemies into them or where enemies will spawn and just explode them.  I love this part.  To cap it all off, you can just throw it into a crowd and it goes off instantly as if you used Fireball.  Also the AoE is smaller than Fireball, which is fine because 30 yards is actually too fucking big and Skull Trap will hit the majority of mobs you pull anyway.

So the bard unlocks Level 3 spells 2 levels higher than a Wizard, but only 1 wizard level worth of experience different (level 5 Wizard gets 1 slot at 20k experience, level 7 Bard gets 1 slot at 40k experience, same time Wizard gets to level 6 and gets 2 slots).  Your Wizard has only had one level of dropping fireballs on shit like a boss being a total BA then Bard comes along and dunks them for 2d6 more damage when he first unlocks them.  Shits cray yo.

That isn't even talking about my main man Magic Missile.  Bard shits out missiles all over like a mofo giving 0 shits about the fact that Wizard supposed to be like master of magic.  Oh extra missile every 2 levels beyond first?  We will be about even when we are shooting 4.  At every other point in career bard will have more missiles sooner than Wizard.  Also Chromatic orb is hilarious if the game supports Instant Death variant.  You think your Wizard is pretty pimp with his one shot of Finger of Death at level 14.  Level 7 spell finally, shit that Bard's can't learn finally, bust out some Instant Death like a boss.  Single shot of it at a -2 save.  Some pretty sick shit.  Oh wait.  Bard has had Instant death in his level 1 slot (at +6 to be fair) since he was level 12.  oh sure its only 3 levels difference and the Wizard can do that as well and will have an extra shot of it.  WRONG WRONG WRONG.  The bard will have had Instant Death available at 440k experience, when the Wizard is level 11 still, they won't even have level 6 spells yet (For Disintegrate for your ID REPRESENT).

So yeah.  Fuck bards, they shit all over my Wizard Parade (I was into Wizard Parades back before Harry Potter made them cool).

Also I keep using them in Icewind Dale because they have all these fancy Bard Songs and shit that you never use.  Warchant of Sith is the one that gets me hard because it is like 2 HP Regen a turn and I love passively healing the party (ITS SO EFFICIENT YOU GUYS 12 HP A TURN, THAT IS 2 HP/SECOND FOR FREE).  That shit is dumb because you never fucking use it in combat, Bard is too throwing explosive death skulls at people to sing a note, then because Bard has the longevity of a 13 year old they are out of spell slots instantly, so you know what you do?  Rest.  Thus fully healing.

Fuck bards.

So anyway, Wizard gets to pack assorted buffs and debuffs because Bard ain't got time for dat shit (And Fireball because Fireball suxxxxorz as noted above and I still love my Wizard throwing fireballs like a boss.  What do either of them pack in level 5 and 6 slots?  Well whatever the fuck really, Skull Trap kind of invalidates damage spells of all other levels that are not Single Target for damage control or are status spells.  You could use Chain Lightning, but it is a bit inconsistent in what it hits.  You could use Sunfire since it caps out at 15d6 (Bards learn it at level 13, you see because Bards don't have to work hard to reach their potential) and has a nastier tendency to blow up your party in ways that not even Skull Trap can.    Cone of Cold has some use if you badly want to fuck your own party up with hard to control 90 degree arcs of 10d4 damage; because a spell that you learn at level 9 Wizard needs to cap out its progression at level 10 (Bards learn it at level 13 as per Sunfire).

Actually level 5 Arcane is a weird spell level.  In BG2 there is all kinds of cool control stuff to put in there. Breach for stripping melee defenses, Lower Resistance for fucking up dragon's days, Shadow Door for a strong Invisbility effect before you get Mislead, Spell Immunity for hilarious exploits, Spell Shield for generic protection and stuff.  IWD?  It has Cloudkill, which is great for standing around waiting for it to dissipate after it has either killed everything or done fucking nothing.  Otherwise it is... Some mass crowd control effects in Chaos?  When you could have just dumped a Cloud Kill in shits face if their saves are bad?  Otherwise it is Summons (or cone of cold which we have established the suckitude of).  You get to pick between Elementals or Undead.  There is no fucking reason you would ever pick Undead because your Cleric will have that shit at in all them level 3 slots that are useless because you are rocking level 5 and they now have all those filled with Heal.  Also Summon Undead is fucking STRONK and both these versions are the same. 

Incidentally if you are doing this because don't have a Cleric and have a Druid then You Are Doing It Wrong.  You picked Druid because they can act like a Ghetto Wizard and are using your Wizard as a Ghetto Cleric in response (when you should proooooobably be having them act as a Ghetto Bard.  See above.) also your Druid will level slower than Cleric because suck it Druids.

What was I talking about again?  Oh yeah.  Icewind Dale.  It sure is a weird little dungeon crawler.  You know my favourite little bit of unremembered history with this game that you won't notice unless you read old reviews or walkthroughs?  This game was a direct competitor with Diablo 2 for some people for some reason.  It came out THE EXACT SAME DAY in NA.  The games couldn't be more different and these days are both in completely different genres, but back then they were divergent offshoots of the same pedigree.  History definitely shows a clear victor on this one.  In retrospect that is full batshit fucking crazy.  Most especially Interplay dropping that shit on the same day as D2.  Like NOW dropping shit the same month as Blizzard is kind of retarded (and inevitable because Blizz with hold release until 2 weeks before you announce release, because suck it Druids), but back when Diablo 2 was coming out?  I might be talking out of ignorance and having been in my tiny bubble of friends and family, but Diablo 2 was something that we had been scrounging information from Magazines and this new Internet thing for like 2 years ever since we had finally worn the sheen off the first game (2 years of pretty consistent on and off play).

I will let this quote from Wikipedia carry this point home.

Icewind Dale was critically well received, scoring 92% on Game Rankings. Gamespot gave the game 86% saying: "It's well suited for fans of Black Isle Studios' previous games, classic hack-and-slash AD&D computer games, and anyone looking for an action-packed role-playing game with a lot of depth." IGN scored it 8.8/10 and Game Zone gave it 9.5/10.  According to GameSpy, "Icewind Dale was a fun dungeon romp that can hold its head up high, even if it can't match its big brothers".  Chris Chan of the New Strait Times said the game was one of the best he'd ever played, giving much of the credit to R. A. Salvatore's writing, which he called "superb". Chan went on to compare the game with the "overhyped" Diablo II, saying controlling six characters was more interesting than the single character permitted in Diablo II.

It wasn't even poorly received, just holy fucking shit it was Diablo fucking 2.  What in the fuck Marketing people 15 years ago?

Edit - Fuck bards.

Edit 2 - Good gods, I spent my whole night posting about playing Icewind Dale instead of actually playing it.  I didn't even mean to post about it other than a passing mention.  I meant to post THIS story about GTA5 that I forgot to even start.

GTA5 STORY TIMES.

My brothers have been playing this a bit more than I have.  I fuck around and lose them money.  That is fine.  We were doing some item collection shit on Trevor.  I crashed and couldn't get my vehicle back, so swapped to Michael and got shot by cops because I punched a guy in the street and that is a Shoot on Site crime (and don't even know the controls for shooting).

So my older brother respawns and runs around for a bit as Michael, plays some golf (which you can manually walk between shots if you so desire.  GTA5 is more Golf Sim than most Golf sims).  Swaps to Trevor in his Tuxedo getting kicked out of a Casino saying "Where does it say pants are required on the Casino floor?", then my older brother turns around and sees the Submarine I had been piloting around with Trevor looking for Nuclear Waste before I beached it out of boredom (it is Yellow of course).  He then runs down the highway to steal a car and gets run over by a Pißwasser truck.  GTA5/10 made fucking around with that sub finding nuclear waste for half an hour bored out of my gourd worth it.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 01:20:11 PM by Grefter »

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: September 30, 2013, 02:19:22 PM »
Huh, maybe she gets pissy if you boot her twice?  Or were you on character quest?  Weird.  Oh well I guess?  (Use Mazzy instead.  Don't you dare touch Cernd).

There's like one step left in her character quest. I got sick of waiting for Anagram Man to show up, said fuck it I'll handle that once I'm done sidequesting. Maybe this wouldn't happen if I'd completed that step, but I'm willing to bet this flag gets flipped as soon as the Harpers turn on her. Also romance a nonfactor since female Bhaalspawn (duh it is me) and I didn't mod the game for same-sex romances (it seems weird to do this when they were clearly written as heterosexual).

The only reason Cernd will ever be in the party is to deal with his deadbeat dad issues because I'm trying to do everything this run (because BG is just so much fucking game that I know I won't be playing it again for ages if ever). Consequently I am so fucking relieved Haer Dalis has no personal quest to endure.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: September 30, 2013, 03:18:03 PM »
Oh you hadn't done character quest yet?  That makes sense now from memory. I tend to romance her if I am using her because the Harper Pin is pretty good item (and I like her and the story).  So it wasn't fresh in my memory.

Did you do Aerie's quest yet?  It is pretty painful.  If you want to mash through the character quests I recommend using time skip console command.  They are paced to last you through doing most of. The side stuff without many if any party changes, so it might take a while.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: September 30, 2013, 04:36:07 PM »
I didn't even know Aerie had a personal quest! I figured she'd just sit in the circus tent for the rest of her life.

EDIT: yeah, I kinda regret leaving all these things for post-Underdark. Jaheira's alone involved way more mash-Z then going random places than I'd've liked.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: September 30, 2013, 06:38:14 PM »
Since Grefter mentioned it.

Planescape: Torment: I went through a portal to visit a Night Hag after recruiting a Modron. I learned my party is full of secrets and that they are all suffering. They are "tormented" if you will. Gameplay has been getting harder, requiring I pay attention enough to just throw Morte at it.

Ended up in Curst and was gonna help a dude save his daughter from slavers, but then I apparently bypassed all that by accident by going underground? But there are about a million guards down here, and I'm not sure the best way to handle it.

I do wish the game wouldn't nest dialogue choices in weird places sometimes. Figuring out how to address Morte and Annah's deep dark secrets was actually kinda hard.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2190 on: September 30, 2013, 07:56:58 PM »
Well yeah Jude is the best character in the game and everything. Dat Palm Strike/Shattering Demon Fist and all :) My Leia has 6'500~ P-ATK on her Devil Arm (also has the highest A-Attack >_>) but that's because I used her all of my first run and most of my second run as too (well she was always in the party either way even the rares times I wasn't maining her except arena/etc) but I did forget she would be able to hit the caps sooner due to Sharpness/Elemental Impulse. Can't remember if enough enemies in Magnus Zero have elemental weaknesses for you to take advantage of the combined Sharpness/Elemental Impulse (off Mystic Symbol) effect though. I usually forget/don't remember her buffs going on the offensive with her since I usually take to the air straight away since I've been trying to master aerial master shenanigans this run <_< You're right about the Link Artes, Leia/Alvin don't really have any great ones, Invigorating Rain is probably the best one but then Sharpening Pulse is probably better =/ Might just be better off sticking to Leia/Jude for it? (assuming if you want to fully max out Leia's Devil Arm naturally/without buffs later) Tempest Pirouette did more for me than Spinning Thunder but then I didn't have all the buffs up, hmnn.

Spiral Strike spam is probably Leia's best arte for really driving up the link gauge (you probably know this already)?

Leia is supposedly a lot better in Xillia 2. Speaking of which it just arrived! :)

I juggled the GMK across the whole breadth of the arena using Shattering Demon Fist.  It was funny as well and then I went and watched a video about playing mind games with AI.  Leia's sitting around mid-8000 for me.  Being linked with Jude for eleven hours when no other pairing is even at two hours skews things apparently~  She actually has a higher use percentage than Jude.  With food and Sharpening Pulse she'll hit the Cap for the GMK battles, though I'll without a doubt get max Leia's Devil Arms naturally later, but this was mostly to buff up Alvin since Jude+Alvin for Sustained Critical will be my go-to for damage against the GMK now.  Jude+Leia until I burst into Overlimit and then switch to Jude+Alvin and I'll run through their entire Linked Artes set for crazy damage.  A couple of enemies in Magnus Zero have Elemental weakness but Jude's generally pretty good about hitting those anyway.  Fire is one of the more common ones, and I can do the Jude+Alvin Swallow Fury Link Arte for fire, and when that ends I can immediately combo it into normal Swallow Fury and get enough Sync Bar to use the Link Arte again.  That was hilarious to learn.  When I had to learn to avoid the GMK's grave-esque !counter for my normal run I started to get into Jude's aerial groove.  Cyclonic Surge until I touch the sky~  I actually managed to headbutt Agria into the ceiling doing that. 

With Double Gauge Speed and Sync Stones the gauge fills so fast I can do just about anything though I will keep that in mind.

From what I've read everyone got at least a buff in 2, though Jude's Snap Pivot has tighter timing.  Ludger's supposed to be almost comically overpowered though.  Anyway good luck with that.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: September 30, 2013, 08:21:28 PM »
Ugh, the talk really makes me want to play BG 2, but then I remember what it was like playing BG 2.
...into the nightfall.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: September 30, 2013, 09:00:16 PM »
Just LP the thing? The gameplay's not for everybody.

Ended up in Curst and was gonna help a dude save his daughter from slavers, but then I apparently bypassed all that by accident by going underground? But there are about a million guards down here, and I'm not sure the best way to handle it.

The solution is Nordom. (The solution is always Nordom.) They're slow enough he can shoot them up while outrunning them. Kite 'em back to the party to make finishing them off a little faster. That's how I deal with the place, at least (and the next couple environments, if memory serves).
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 09:04:08 PM by El Cideon »

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: September 30, 2013, 09:05:20 PM »
Its more the annoyance that there are literally 500,000,000 guards.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: October 01, 2013, 07:34:18 AM »
Tales of Xillia: Finished off the second and the third iterations of the GMK.  I definitely spent more time just trying to cleave through normal enemies from the extra floors than actually fighting him.  The stupid plant things can call in reinforcements apparently.  Just from the durability of the enemies I managed to use so many Link Artes that I got the highest Titles for Link Artes(4050 uses) and Chains (1350).  Leia managed to break 9000 for her P.ATK base, while Alvin just barely eked out over 6000, which turned into 8601 when he got fully buffed up in battle.  The GMK's defense just scaled monstrously though, hit 9999 in all the Atk/Def stats, he also gained more HP than the Final Boss go figure.  Also more proof that the display number is some sort of wrong.  In the first fight hitting him with the P.Atk debuff knocked it from 9999 to 8737 and in the second fight it became a glorious 9953.  If I had actually checked in the third fight it probably wouldn't have even visibly changed.  And yet I still don't know if it actually matters!  Anyway, Leia ran out my stock of Apple Gels both times and I came perilously close to losing a couple times in the third fight.  He also got off heals for the first time ever, though he still wasted time applying Sharpness haha.  He also does have a normal Grave attack for a Counter, while additionally having the weird nameless 360 grave-esque as a counter as well.  I have no idea.

Anyway times for this were:
First fight, 14 minutes.
Second fight, 20 minutes.
Third fight, 30 minutes.

Good solid lengths and I never felt like I was ever at a definitive comfort-zone or OHGAWDI"MMADIE spot either.

Anyway, what's left is to grab the Trophy Titles for Rare Monsters(sitting at 62 of 75) and Jude's Restore Partner Skill(9 of 150).  Restore is gonna be a pain because only Magnus Zero enemies can even knock me down anymore and they hurt.  Once I grab those, and maybe the title for Alvin's Max Breaker, because he used it a lot during my fighting, I'll finish up the run and then go do something maybe.

Also I tried it out and Elize's 40% cast time reduction stacks with both the Mystic Symbol's 30% and Rowen's Speed Cast Linked Skill 30%.  100% cast time reduction~
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 07:46:13 AM by Fudozukushi »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: October 01, 2013, 08:15:39 AM »
You are seeing why I prefer Mage to Fighter now Andy.  Fighter is very strong and can handle almost everything gameplay wise.  But Mage has Cloudkill in a game where enemy saves are kind of pitiful (like I think PS:T enemies are actually on the same scale as BG1, so like lowwwwww level).  Unlike normal Cloudkill, Torment's is actually just fullscreen Instant Death with no cloud nonsense.  Kite around, gather things up and AoE them down with ID. 

Mage is gameplay skip where the gameplay you are skipping is PS:T combat.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: October 01, 2013, 11:42:04 AM »
Fudo, I wonder, why don't you just use Milla and spam Cyclone? That is actually the solution to a lot of stuff.
Put on Aeria Spell, then you just need to repeat Higher Than Sky-Cyclone-landing cancel-Higher than Sky-Cyclone-landing cancel-repeat, and you are all set against 99% of stuff in this game. You can toss in Rising Sun if necessary.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: October 01, 2013, 07:33:34 PM »
Because that's boring.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 09:06:27 PM by Fudozukushi »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: October 01, 2013, 09:28:16 PM »
Civ5- Just beat the game on Prince on a duel map and on a 12 person map. I have gone full Ciddy and am starting to dream about playing the game, someone save me
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: October 02, 2013, 12:52:32 AM »