Register

Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing 2013?  (Read 186622 times)

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing 2013?
« Reply #2475 on: November 26, 2013, 03:34:52 AM »
Oh thanks for reminding me.  Dowsing Machine is completely horrible.  Can't remember any Item Finder type thing worse than this.  It's pretty much only good for telling you there's an item somewhere on your current map you haven't gotten yet.

Diamond/Pearl had better balance, pacing (fast is not necessarily a good thing) and at least tried to have a story.  Team Flare is so pointless as villains.  Woo, we paid to join this cult and wow we look fabulous!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: November 27, 2013, 01:45:19 AM »
Trying to have a story is ALWAYS a negative for Pokémon.

Pokémon Y - Beaten! Final levels were 57-63 across the board, probably just about the best they could muster. Diantha's Mega Gardevoire is QUITE A NASTY SURPRISE, though! Fun stuff, for all that the Elite Four were sorta anemic outside Siebold's scary as fuck Gyarados. Anyhow, there's really not much I can say about the game that others haven't - highly polished and player-friendly Pokémon with a nice, smooth competence curve that moves upwards and notable difficulty grading flexibility with the XP Share plus the usual Pokéxperience. Really, it's been over a decade and a half since I started playing these, it's pretty much straightforward what I love about these games.

Main party!

Greninja (Surf/Hydro Cannon/Waterfall/Ice Beam) - So hey, Gamefreak looked at Sceptile and thought "guys, it'd be really cool if we had a WATER Sceptile, huh?". And then they forgot that Surf shows up at like gym 4, so the lull where Grovyle didn't get an up-to-date STAB for a long time is replaced by Frogadier having an overpowered 90 Power STAB early. Seriously, that offensive stat spread is crazy good stuff and it's always up-to-date on its money damage moves, so it blitzes like a champ off a great offensive typing. Type coverage is a problem (very few good TMs to effectively hit multiple weaknesses, Strength/Return never impress me without STAB), but at least you can have it play the dual stat glass cannon game properly once it evolves to Greninja (Thief and Night Slash if you're willing to shell the Heart Scale for it). Mine ended up with 140 Attack with a -hindering- nature, which was hilarious (S. Atk was 163 or something like that), and that speed is positively nuts. Substitute also saw some play, particularly cheesing Olympia's Meowstic hilariously (YES, SPAM GHOST BALL AND ITS 6HKO TO GRENINJA REALLY SMART). Durability, of course, is kinda trashy, but that blitzing is so good. I've always been irrationally fond of Water types, especially starters, and the Froakie line is probably the best of all. Likely MVP.

Venusaur (Petal Dance/Growth/Sleep Powder/Sludge Bomb): The reason why Greninja isn't open and shut as the MVP. Elfboy touched up on why Venusaur is brokenly good well enough - fucking tanky as shit with the Megavolution and excellent offense alongside a nasty status/stalling game. Hard to argue with that.

Pangoro (Brick Break/Bulk Up/Crunch/Sky Uppercut): Sky Uppercut was unneeded and I probably should've sticked with Low Sweep, but whatever. Pangoro pretty much busts skulls all day when it gets the chance - Dark/Fighting typing and viable STABs for both types off 130 base Attack make it a terror against a lot of Psychics, and Fighting itself is monstrously good for offense. Speed is problematic and defense stats are sketchy across the board, but Low Sweep often took care of the first problem. I shuffled Swords Dance and Bulk Up a bit too depending on the situation. The panda is hilariously useless when Fairy damage comes into play, though. W4, dear -god-.

Sylveon (Moon Blast/Draining Kiss/Calm Mind/Rain Dance): This thing stalls really damned well for something with that speed and pdef. Amazing S.Def makes it a veritable magical wall - to the point I often didn't even fear its Poison weakness once a single Calm Mind entered the equation - and Light Screen before I got Calm Mind. Fairy typing is pretty damned good in general too, spoiling the highly common Dark/Fighting types is a blessing. I gave it Leftovers for furthering the Draining Kiss/Calm Mind stalling game as well, and it served me quite fine. Rain Dance was there for Torrent-active Greninja sweeping shenanigans, which proved crucial against the champ's Mega Gardevoire (lol ohko with Waterfall) and little else. There's also this stint where Sylveon positively sucks if you don't get an Eevee with a Fairy move from the get go until Moonblast (relying on Bite off that Atk stat? eeeeeeeeeeeeeeew), but that's what I used the Exp. Share for as well.

Chandelure (Confuse Ray/Shadow Ball/Fire Blast/Calm Mind): Hell sweeper, trivialized Grass types with reckless abandon. In hindsight, Confuse Ray proved to help very little on him, but oh well. Setting up sweeping sprees post Calm Mind spam was quite a sight to behold. Getting Chandelure from Litwick to its fully promoted glory can be pretty trying, though - Litwick/Lampent are -egregiously- frail and underwhelming at general stats.

Yveltal (Psychic/Dark Pulse/Oblivion Wing/Fly): Well, the bird's tanky as shit and I gave it a Big Root to make its draining amazingly powerful healing. Otherwise, nothing truly gamebreaking, especially considering it's a legendary.

Star Ocean 4 next.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 04:48:04 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: November 27, 2013, 04:36:37 AM »
Yveltal, if Xerneas was an indicator, sounds like it's overpoweredness comes from ridiculously strong Dark Pulses that can be complimented by the tank + Oblivion Wing combo ridiculousness, but dunno how he is in practice, because well, X version.

New Super Luigi U: Finished.  To be brief, a few minor tweaks in direction and style and we have a game that looks basically the same on surface, but is very different in practice.  Sounds like if you've played NSMBW, you can skip straight to this one via the physical copy, though, given the best way to get a Wii U is the Mario Bundle these days, that's probably moot!

Dillon's Rolling Western: Got this via Club Nintendo rewards because wasn't spending my coins on much else and it's a case of "seems interesting but not sure if I want to spend money on it" so yeah, this works.  Beat the 2nd town area.  Game's a neat way of handling Tower Defense, with preparation being more about exploring the area around in an alotted time rather than just straight up "Build defenses."
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: November 27, 2013, 09:21:05 AM »
Oh, Yveltal is very good at that indeed - I'm pretty sure Big Root Oblivion Wing is pretty much 100% of damage dealt as healing - this gets SILLY when paired up with a weakness hit, and it takes hits very well. I guess I just expected something more obviously degenerate.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: November 27, 2013, 02:06:04 PM »
Well, that's the difference between 130 in an offensive stat instead of 150 (which the Gen 3 through 5 legendaries have); one is very good, the other is downright absurd.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: November 27, 2013, 04:04:04 PM »
Yeah, I was mostly comparing Yveltal offense to, say, Chandelure offense (Chandelure of the something like 150 S.Atk). That's kinda cruel.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: November 28, 2013, 06:30:32 PM »
Only 145!  And to be fair, Yveltal kicks Chandeleure's ass offensively if he uses Dark Pulse, but yeah, the raw damage is not why you use Yveltal.  They were clearly aiming for more well rounded ubers this time who can dish out a lot of damage in one typing because, well, gotta make them stand out somehow!  Though otherwise, yeah, their offense is a tad lower than you'd expect from an uber these days.

I also must say I like how Geomancy and Oblivion Wing were creative trademark moves, not just "massive STAB attacks" like the bunch before.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: November 28, 2013, 11:17:11 PM »
League of Legends: fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: November 29, 2013, 11:22:10 AM »
FF13 Lighting Retrun - Wow, the grinding in this game is actually fun, this game is so immediately rewarding that mutilating the monsters becomes a pleasurable thing to do. What is happening here? N1 seriously needs to be ashamed when Toriyama of all people is making a better grindfest power up game.

Anyway, time to go back to kill more Cacturs!!.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: November 29, 2013, 12:52:40 PM »
Star Ocean 4 - triaceopening.txt

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: November 29, 2013, 06:35:31 PM »
Sonic Lost World: Up to Silent Forest Act 4.  Would be further if not for the stupid 3000 animal req making me run through Windy Hill Zone about 6 times just to grind them.  Seriously, what was the point of that?  What's wrong with "beat stage -> progress to next stage" requirements?  It's totally fair for bonus stages and such, but for the main stages? No, it's just dumb.

THAT SAID, game is decent but rough around the edges.  It shows a lot of potential but they need to bang out kinks and not be too worried about the game getting stale, and stick to more conventional things.  Ok, a grinding stage?  Fair enough, that's a sonic thing, one or two of those don't hurt.  Swapping between 2D and 3D? Fair.  Gimmick stage where you roll a snowball and all the rules of Sonic suddenly don't apply because gimmick stage? Go die in a ditch.  That's Bonus Stage material, not main stage material; don't force a long, boring stage where basically everything you learned up to that point is completely meaningless.  It's one of the worst stages in Sonic.

Also, can we stop with the large tube w/ balls rolling towards you?  You've done that gimmick way more than it should have been done.  It's dull and just a waste of time because you haven't mixed up the formula.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2486 on: November 29, 2013, 08:32:29 PM »
Look, people like large tubes w/ balls. It's genetics.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: November 29, 2013, 09:34:03 PM »
Depending on what angle you're talking about, that doesn't apply to most males!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: November 29, 2013, 11:04:22 PM »
bang out kinks
Not sure whether to make music joke or sex joke.

Gimmick stage where you roll a snowball and all the rules of Sonic suddenly don't apply because gimmick stage? Go die in a ditch. 
But that snowboard stage in Sonic 3 was so cool in 1994!!!!1!1!1!!  It has all the elements there, guaranteed success.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: November 29, 2013, 11:43:44 PM »
The snowboard in Sonic 3 didn't even have gameplay!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2490 on: November 30, 2013, 12:48:27 AM »
You pressed jump and it determined if you missed a turn and which route you took.  It gave you more or less rings!

Steam Marines - 4 character roguelike style is clunkier than I remember, this was painful to try out but was all on me.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: November 30, 2013, 02:57:11 AM »
OB- Just got Yushis and Debonair. At the point where I can sleepwalk through the game. Love the strategy elements in the game (Moving through rough terrain/taking cities/alignment/etc) but all the planning goes by the wayside when you get your deathsquads rolling.

FF7- Saved halfway through the Kalm flashback. Still sorting through thoughts on this.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: November 30, 2013, 04:49:06 AM »
It turns out the flashback Cloud isn't himself, it was actually a Soldier he was acquainted with called Zack, but Cloud was actually there as one of the Shinra soldiers.  This pays off in some close bonding between Cloud and Tofa later!

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: November 30, 2013, 04:58:05 AM »
Wait, Super had not played FF7 before?

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: November 30, 2013, 05:00:53 AM »
I dunno, it's kind of a niche title I think, even on an RPG site like this. I'm planning on playing it for the first time over this year's holiday.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: November 30, 2013, 05:10:28 AM »
Wait, Super had not played FF7 before?

You are silly, Niu.

Anyway yeah, 7's gameplay is exactly as I remembered it. It's oceans better than 8's (fuck the draw system) and 9 (slooooooooow) but the lack of polish is extremely noticeable.  It's very, very early PSX in that regard. The minigames are *painful*, I am glad RPGs largely do not use those any more. Death to all QTE events and timed hits as well. The only one of those that FF7 has in actual combat are limits, and I always bench Tifa and Cait Sith anyway.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: November 30, 2013, 06:09:30 AM »
Resident Evil 6: Screw the hate, this game was fun...  with the proviso that it be played co-op at night with the lights turned off.  And that by "game" I mean "Leon & Helena chapters" so the fun part of the game is shortish.  It's not survival horror, but that's okay by me, survival horror is too stressful; it's a co-op action shooter where you get all your health back if you die, so less carefully keeping track of typewriter ribbons and heals, more shooting a giant zombie shark chasing you down a water pipe connected to the cathedral catacombs which are also an evil zombie lab where all the scientists / guards have once more turned into zombies, as per usual.  (I can only imagine how much salaries & life insurance are in the field of zombieology, considering the survival rate.)  The co-op is well done: a good mix of standard combat where you can support each other normally, forced split-up sections where you're expected to "help" your partner in some way, and forced split-up sections where both characters have their own independent objective that you run off to complete.

Allegedly the Chris chapters are horrible, and the Sherry/Jake chapters were certainly weaker from what we played of 'em (C1-C2, wherin we racked up more deaths snowmobiling through an avalanche than the L/H campaign combined, and it includes some just plain slow encounters, like with the giant monsters that Chris also fights.  Fighting giant monsters should not be boring.)...  but yeah, whatever, I just won't play the Chris chapters ever, I'll take a short & good game over a longer game with horrible sections.  Hey, the chapters are all skippable for a reason, I figure.

Anyway, to talk too much about RE plot is to court madness, especially when I haven't played all the chapters, but as a few random comments:
* Does every vehicle Leon touches explode?  I think maybe 1 makes it to its destination vaguely safely, while the other 14 don't.
* On the same note, I think 97% of all random civilians you see are there strictly so that they can be slaughtered or turned to zombies and attack you.  Tsk, I think the right proportion is more like 80%, surprise us sometimes by occasionally letting them live.  Weird, I know.
* I commend the town of Tall Oaks on either its fine evacuation procedures or its love of mass transit.  Apparently only 70,000 people get zombified in the downtown, yet an entire NYC-ripoff subway system exists!  Either this is a small town of <200K that nevertheless appreciates the importance of subways, or else they actually managed to save most of the people.  Well done!
* Although, on that note, I have no idea why they decided to chop the game up temporally and make it multiple incidents.  Isn't zombifying a major American city enough fodder for the plot of, like, multiple games?  Why do we need to visit more places that also get zombie outbreaks?  Kinda makes it less special.
* Kudos to RE6 plot at using an airborne zombie virus to explain the situation, as it actually makes way more sense to explain a sudden zombie outbreak situation than basically any other explanation, especially the "biting zombie horde" scenario.  I have no freaking idea why Leon & Helena weren't infected though, despite being near the stuff constantly, yet apparently are vulnerable in the China arc rather than simply decreeing they're immune, Sherry / Jake style.
* L&H's villain, Simmons, is totally ludicrous and freaking Umbrella might possibly make more sense than his motives, and he totally should have been betrayed by anybody who knew anything at any point in the plot, but whatever, zombie T-Rex.  But next time, guys, skip the government conspiracy that makes no sense and just stick to "insane dude thinks zombies are awesome, releases zombie juice and gives self zombie ultimate power injection, gogogogo."
* Of the new characters, I actually rather liked Helena.  She got to do more of the parkour crazy jumps that were just barely plausible if you were in tip-top shape and had not been fighting zombies recently but hey it's awesome anyway.  Jake, uh, they were obviously trying a tad TOO hard to make him "cool."  Maybe they deflate him a tad more in his later chapters.  Anyway, I'm sure Capcom would have had to deal with fanboy rage if they'd romantically paired Leon & Helena up, alas, so everything will stay the same and safe.

Tales of Xillia
Okay, this is more "What Games Are You Buying."  Got the last copy at 20 bucks at GameStop's Black Friday event.

Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies:
APOLLO: This folding screen holds the secret of the Forbidden Chamber - I'm sure of it!  Let me just examine it more closely...
APOLLO: (Hmm, maybe I should check the transcript, too.)
ATHENA: Apollo?  You okay there?  Apollo?  Apolloooooooooooooo!
G A M E   O V E R

Defeated in the freaking investigation section of PW, sigh, forcing a reload to the beginning of the day.  At least you can apparently B-cancel through text that the game thinks you've never read.  Weird, too, since DD is actually very good about letting you skip to any section of the case you want in its start-up options - but not finely sliced enough for getting around the ol' stylus the transcript icon to randomly crash the game trap.  Oh, well.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 06:11:37 AM by SnowFire »

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: November 30, 2013, 06:45:42 AM »
Pokémon DMX:  Parallel Swizzle my Nizzle.

Finally unlocked the Looker quest after stumbling around for a long time (you have to fight in the Battle Maison, then fight rival again).  Oh dear they're trying to have a story!  And failing.

Tomb Raider:  This was $14.99 today so why not?  I'd played the beginning before but got a little farther.  Damn this game is so beautiful.  Really immersive, to the point when your xbox friends pop up you're like wtf why is that interrupting my movie?

Also bought Onechanbara for 80% off.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: November 30, 2013, 09:32:58 PM »
For what it's worth Snowfire, my less-than-positive opinion of the game stems from the fact that I found it more often frustrating than fun.  Then again, I played all 4 stories and outside of a brief stint in Jake's story, it was entirely single player.  Game that requires multiplayer to be fun and only one of them approaches decent (Leon) is not a good game to me.  Nothing to do with Survival Horror factor.

Granted, the "is a Survival Horror" is indirectly what makes RE4 way better than RE5, since survival horror implies some attempt at atmosphere, which leads to actual luls in combat.  I'm all for combat, but games do need to take breathing room every now and then.  Even games like DMC and Bayonetta understood that, and they're straight up action games!

But that snowboard stage in Sonic 3 was so cool in 1994!!!!1!1!1!!  It has all the elements there, guaranteed success.

I don't see how "snowboard" became" snowball" though.  And really, once you board down Not!San Francisco to Butt-Rock on debris from a plane door, you can only go down in this mechanic!

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: November 30, 2013, 10:36:18 PM »
Yeah, I kinda think they should have considered hyping the multiplayer more directly, L4D style.  It really feels like that's what the game is designed around.  I buy the "frustrating" part, certainly some of the Jake/Sherry encounters just felt like slow trial-and-error until it worked.  (Ugh, played some of J/S C3, the lab escape bit - that one definitely flirted with "frustrating" over cool a tad too much.)  That said, having played it in what I presume to be its intended multiplayer split screen form, it is pretty good for what it is at that.