imageRegister

Author Topic: Elfboy's 2012 Game Retrospectives  (Read 6043 times)

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Elfboy's 2012 Game Retrospectives
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2013, 02:21:17 AM »
Which move of JONATHAN!'s are you referring to that gives him infinite flight?  Don't recall that one, for all that I agree Jonathan becomes better in the endgame.  (And sadly if you want to grindchu, Jonathan's subweapons get better if you use him, while Charlotte stays the same, giving you another incentive to use him.)

I pretty much entirely agree with your Trails comments, just the strengths are a bit stronger for my tastes and the weaknesses more irrelevant.  (That and a 6.5 on the Elf scale is roughly an 8 on the SnowFire scale, so it's a pretty close assessment.)  That said, while the battle system is indeed too easy, noting the rareness of 2HKOs is a bit unfair.  Yeah, the only significant opponent with a 2HKO I can think of is the final boss (who does toss out some pretty nasty damage...), *but* when the game is difficult, it's because enemies are fast and/or you're massively swarmed.  The Black-Clad Soldiers in Chapter 2 & 3, for example, 3HKO you at best but are also notably faster, and there are 2-3 of them, so it's not as bad as "solo boss in a turn-based game with a 3HKO."  The super-boss gets constant 3:2s and can inflict Faint/Confuse/Mute.  Tougher random formations in the final dungeon can swarm you with 6-8 enemies that taken together can wipe you out if you don't take them seriously enough to thin the herd on turn 1 (which is of course quite doable).  And doing quest bosses a little early in the maingame can generate a decent challenge, too.  (Of course, even when enemies do have good damage, that also sets up your special attacks faster, so it's a nice bit of self-balance from a game design perspective (the nastier the opponent, the better you get!), but also makes enemies less hypable than they look on paper.)

Anyway, this is where I whine again about restricting had mode to replays, for all that I suppose I should be grateful it exists at all.  Still not a huge deal, plenty of good games with neat systems are too easy (Wild Arms 4, Grandia 2, etc.).

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 02:48:37 AM »
Jonathan's flaming uppercut move not only goes up an incredible distance by itself, you can spam it, Space Jump-style.

I agree about the Black-Clad Soldiers incidentally (the ones in Zeiss Tower were the hardest fight in the game to me) and I agree that generally the game puts up a better fight when it gives the enemies numbers, since it didn't seem to know how to design individual strong enemies. (I've already drenched the games topic with my utter contempt for the "superboss", I won't do so again here.)

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2013, 05:21:58 PM »
4. Devil May Cry 4 (Xbox 360, Capcom, 2008)

The prevailing opinion of the Devil May Cry series is that 1 and 3 are both very good, while 2 is mediocre at best. I differ from most people in that while I agree that 1 is great and 2 is mediocre, I don't particularly care for 3 either. So I was a little bit apprehensive about Devil May Cry 4 the first time I placed the disc in my 360... would it be closer to 1 or to 3? Turns out it's somewhere in the middle.

The biggest reason for the dropoff of DMC quality, in my opinion, is enemy design, and I'm very pleased to say that in DMC4, enemy design is once again back and worth paying attention to. Past one or two basic ones, most enemies fight in disctinct ways and you'll have to find ways to deal with each one differently. There aren't a huge number of them, but there are enough, and the game uses them in disinct environments and formations enough for the game to not get old.

Helping to keep the game fresh is its two different playable characters. Though you don't get to choose who you use when (on a first playthrough at least?), you do switch between controlling two characters who have some pretty pronounced differences in gameplay despite their similar appearances. Dante makes his return of course, but getting slightly more chapters is Nero, who places a greater emphasis on aerial combat. So for all those different enemies I mentioned, the player has to learn how to fight them in at least two different ways, as each PC has his own tricks.

The boss design is relatively not as impressive, but still decent, and like the randoms, you'll have to fight most of them with the two different PCs, which further helps emphasise the different ways the two fight. Some of the boss fights, such as those against mad scientist Agnus, go beyond merely decent and into the outright excellent; wouldn't be a DMC game without some of those!

Different weapons and styles make their returns, and to the game's credit, it's now easier than ever to switch between them. Gone is DMC1's hare-brained idea of making you go into a menu to switch weapons, gone is DMC3's hare-brained idea of forcing you to choose one style and two weapons for each level.

The gameplay could still be better, certainly. Devil Trigger, one of the series' great gameplay ideas, is unavailable for roughly a third of the game. A couple of the game's most common enemies are quite underwhelming, resembling the type of fodder I don't care for in these games. The game has some occasionally infuriating mini-games, in particular a board game which completely randomises your progress (its first appearance only threatens to overstay its welcome, but a far longer one dominating the final level goes way over the line). The game's final boss is a reasonably fun fight... but I wish it wasn't the same fun fight you fought halfway through the game, slightly modified. And the game's tendency to recycle its own stage design gets a bit dull.

The game also seriously goes off the rails writing-wise, and to my surprise I actually cared about this, as much as it's a gameplay series. Dante and his lovable, goofy self is as good as ever, but Nero is a boring trope of hot-bloodedness, and his girlfriend Kyrie is hands-down the worst character the setting has dreamed up. From the DMC series, which has created exclusively over-the-top badass characters, a character who dials the helpless damsel shtick up to 11 is jarring indeed.

Still, while the complaints are quite a few in number, none of them are game-breakers. DMC4 remains a very fun action game to play and is absolutely a worthy entry to its series.

The good: Great action gameplay with good enemy design, two PCs, Dante
The bad: Scattered minor design choices, the new serious plot/characters
The ugly: And the winner of the "worst character of 2012 award" is...

Rating: 7/10

Maybe.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 12:39:20 AM »
3. XCOM: Enemy Unknown (Xbox 360, 2K Games/Firaxis, 2012)

I played the original X-Com rather briefly some 17 years ago or so. I never got too far, preferring more approachable games; this was still a couple years before I got into the strategy RPG genre. So I probably wouldn't normally have bothered with playing its 2012 re-imagining... except that Grefter rather awesomely supplied me with a free copy, so I figured it was worth a shot. It's a shot I'm very glad I gave.

Though a bit of a different beast, XCOM is still at its core a strategy RPG, which is one of my favourite genres. Much like Fire Emblem, it places a heavy emphasis on keeping units alive, as units who fall in battle are frequently gone for good. Although it's always possible to hire new soldiers, losing the experience of a built-up soldier is still a heavy price to pay, and knowing that this price hangs over your head creates a rather welcome tension which is present while playing the game. It forces the player to carefully make each decision in battle, which is always a good feeling.

The other thing the game does really well is its unit progression. There are four classes, and each one gets a choice of skills at most level up. It's a simple and highly effective form of customisation which perfectly fits with the relatively simple design ethic the game has gone with. When your soldiers later get psychic powers, the psychic abilities work on a very similar tree.

Beyond that, like any good game of its type, it's just fun to play though. The game forces plenty of individual decisions in battles which are fun to make. It gives you just enough information to make them worthwhile decisions; the game would be dramatically worse if it didn't give you the minimal information of damage and accuracy projections, or if it didn't tell you which panels count as cover.

The story mostly just has the grace not to get in the way; there's not very much of it and what's there is skippable. It does manage a few decently thought-provoking scenes where you have to wonder if the things that good guys are doing to win the war won't have some pretty nasty consquences, but other than that it is stock, but inoffensive stock.

The game's main flaws fundamentally lie in just how rough around the edges it is at times. Formost of these flaws are two things that, alone, wouldn't be that bad, but together add up to a lot of annoyance. That is, first of all, you can't cancel out of moves (not the only strategy RPG that does this, see Final Fantasy Tactics for one I obviously love). The second is that lines of sight are awfully difficult to predict (and to a lesser extent, judging range and enemy cover), so you can very often move to somewhere and then learn that the action you wanted isn't even legal (or perhaps is much worse than you thought). This gets frustrating and even by the end of the game I would have some problems with it. There's some other, less important but still notable, clunkiness such as the fact that armour move boosts are undocumented.

Map design is something I'm not terribly enamoured with. They're randomly generated to some extent and it makes for an unpredictable experience, which is kinda fun... but it can also make for an extremely boring one. If you fight nothing but small pockets of enemies followed by lots of looking, it gets boring. If you fight nothing but Thin Men lategame, boring.

The game's macromanagement is also a bit of a mixed bag. While most of it is streamlined and inoffensive enough, it's not really an appealing thing to play the game for, but it has a few missteps at points, like the whole system of purchasing ships to shoot down alien craft. This costs a lot of money/research and almost never comes up... but can be important when it does! And then it's hard to judge how much your investments have helped anyway...

But the game definitely manages to overcome its flaws. In fact, the flaws leave me with a lot of hope. Since the big one in particular is obvious to everyone ever who has played it, I have high hopes that it's something a sequel could fix, if there is one. As for XCOM itself, it's a bit too clunky to be a favourite, but still a good game, and the best western game I have played in over a decade.

The good: Tight SRPG mechanics, great levelup system, fun sense of tension
The bad: That move/line of sight thing, some other minor clunkiness
The ugly: The enemy AI's reaction to mind control >:D

Rating: 7.5/10
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 01:05:45 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 11:19:12 PM »
The story mostly just has the grace not to get in the way; there's not very much of it and what's there is skippable. It does manage a few decently thought-provoking scenes where you have to wonder if the things that good guys are doing to win the war won't have some pretty nasty consquences, but other than that it is stock, but inoffensive stock.

So I haven't finished XCOM yet, but.  I have some ideas for potential plots that go beyond "inoffensive", especially focused on the JRPG & Japan & Rob market, just the thing to boost sales there.  Even if these aren't the actual plot overviews, they should totally make a DLC pack with more PLOT TWISTY new endings & voice acting and all to keep things spiced up on replays.  There are plenty of reasons why the aliens could run around seemingly abducting people at random with super technology, and plenty of different excuses for the 3-5 set piece plot missions!

* ONLY J-POP CAN SAVE US.  The aliens realize that according to the stars, the next progression of evolution has already been born on Earth, and rush to kidnap people to find the chosen ones.  "Psychic power" is expressed via music, so you need to equip units that want to use psychic abilities with microphones, guitars, flutes, etc.  Terror Missions are when their own troops go insane from attempting to play melodies beyond their capabilities, and forget to capture the humans and instead rage against the machine.  The early missions are attempting to raid the alien base to steal their musical potential detector, and then the climactic last missions are a race against the aliens to capture / save the young two destined musicians, a boy & girl (maybe rig it such that it's always a Japanese male & American female?).  If you fail, the final mission is to assassinate them before the alien concert in space using them finishes; if you succeed, you must provide concert security against the aliens for their mega-debut.    Singing a power love duet broadcast live worldwide, they advance humanity to the next stage of evolution, allowing us to become the rightful masters of the galaxy.

* YOU ARE THE THE ALIENS.  Did I just blow your mind?  You, the "Commander", are a once-powerful Fya'deen Prince, exiled from the central cluster for your crimes, but still retaining your immensely powerful psychic abilities.  Making your abode on Earth, you have dominated the human's leaders and guided their progress in a way pleasing for you, passing the time watching them senselessly slaughter each other in wars, dancing to your whims.  The Galactic Police have caught wind you are hiding here, and are trying to free the humans from your grasp and flush out your hiding location; clearly founding X-COM as a front was the only way to survive and let the GP think that this was the wrong planet after all.  "Panic" is the Police freeing the nations from your grasp and causing them to stop sending you money & soldiers; satellites are mind-wave strengtheners that re-enable you to bend the minds of a country to your dark will.  And of course you can order your other servants to inflict all sorts of nasty atrocities around where the GP land to attempt to make the GP look bad.  Of course the actual player at the keyboard doesn't realize this at first; they simply see all the Commander's lackies unusually compliant and absolute lickspittles to the amazing Master who is awesome and their best friend ever.  The human player realizes who they're really playing as once their soldiers confront the powerful Police empaths at the alien base, foes powerful enough to defeat your mind control of the soldiers and inform them of the terrible truth.  (High Will soldiers more likely to defect, then?!)  Success means capturing the Police's base and using the technology to plot your own new space empire with the humans as your disposable fodder...

* TECHNO-RELIGIOUS NONSENSE.  Really, do I need to say more?  All religions are secretly based on alien intervention 2000-4000 years ago, and they return now as part of the "second coming" to fulfill the prophecy of the end times.  Ancient ruins re-activate with the coming of the alien mothership, and the set piece missions are raiding the likes of Petra, Chichen Itza, Angkor Wat, etc. all of which have hordes of ancient alien robots running around in the basement.  Combining the ancient inscriptions found in the ruins yields the plans for a giant robot - the only possible weapon capable of defeating the coming Alien Mothership Je-Ho-Va on the plains of Megido in Israel.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2013, 07:36:06 AM »
Snowfire, did you used to work for Cenega Interactive?  Because that last one sounds close to main driving plot of UFO Afterblah series.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2013, 01:07:55 AM »
2. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (Nintendo 3DS, Square Enix, 2012)

When I was young, games would come out of nowhere and surprise me with how fun they were. As the games I had played climbed into the dozens, then hundreds, this got steadilly more rare. At this point, I've figured out what genres I like, what tropes I like, what design philosophies appeal to me, and so on. While I try not to pre-judge games when I actually pick them up to play, I still roughly know what I will and won't like. So it's a pleasant surprise when a game comes along of which I have no idea what to expect and it ends up being this good.

I've played a few music-based games before, such as Guitar Hero and Dance Dance Revolution, but none extensively. What did Theatrhythm do to grab me that they didn't? Well, the most obvious thing is probably music selection. Not to say previous rhythm games didn't have some tracks I liked a good deal, but it's pretty hard to compete with a music collection I am almost entirely already familiar with. At best Theatrhythm's tracks are favourites; at worst, they provide a good hit of nostalgia. Undeniably this is a factor of having played 11 of the 13 games which Theatrhythm draws upon for its source material; the game has less and less to offer the fewer Final Fantasy games you have played. But even playing just a few will make those tracks a particular joy, and the overall quality of music selection is high enough that I really enjoyed even some of the tracks I wasn't already familiar with.

Aside from the obvious music, Theatrhythm scores some victories on other aesthetic fronts. Other games in the genre seem often content to have the graphics necessary for the rhythm matching itself, then little past that which is at all memorable. Not so Theatrhythm. It populates its background, flavour graphics with adorable, chibi versions of Final Fantasy characters and monsters, all set against famous Final Fantasy settings and backgrounds. Theatrhythm knows it is a game for Final Fantasy fans and unapologetically tries to drag out all the nostalgia it can. It's hard to argue that it suceeds very well at this.

Beyond that, its raw gameplay is something I have trouble comparing to other rhythm games, but is certainly very fun. The DS' touchscreen is a great platform for a rhythm game, and the game mixes in both the standard rhythm-matching notes with various slide actions on the touchscreen, and a series of those can leave you feel like the stylus in dancing on the DS' surface (or stumbling, if we want to talk about the Ultimate difficulty level...). There are three different gameplay styles, and while the "battle" style is the most fun and challenging, the others are still worthwhile diversions. And there are three difficulty modes, varying from one which might as well have a "for genre newcomers only" sign attached to one which will mercilessly crush you on its more difficult tracks, until you've had a lot of practice.

Finally, the game throws in some RPG elements. I'm not certain what I think about these. On the one hand, it can be rather fun to try to put together party setups which work more effectively at winning more items (including the crystal shards needed to unlock new characters) from songs, giving the game a bit of a push in the replay value department. On the other hand, it easily ends up feeling too grindy at times; it can take rather too long to unlock some characters even if you know how to do so. Fortunately the "grinding" is really just an excuse for more gameplay, which is fun, and is only remotely needed if you just have to play with one of the unlockable characters (but some of those are great characters, so why wouldn't you?).

Beyond the game's decision to make character unlocking too grindy, the game doesn't do much overtly wrong. I could nitpick some of the design decisions (such as the lowest difficulty being initially forced in story mode, or the fact that the track selection from Final Fantasy IX is so poor) but for the most part they would just be that, nitpicks. The game is shockingly fun and generally succeeds both at being a good game in its own right and a fine homage to one of my favourite video game series. The game succeeds to me about as well as a game in its genre ever could.

Its genre itself is a bit of a limitation to me, mind: I can't see myself ever naming a rhythm game as one of my all-time favourites. They have their place and I would never disparage the genre as a whole, but they just don't play to my biases as what a video game should be. That said, Theatrhythm is still a damn good game within its confines, and I have no problem naming it the second best game of 2012.

The good: Rhythm gameplay is fun, makes good use of the FF series nostalgia
The bad: Unlocking characters is a bit grindy
The ugly: One of the two super-bonus "third" characters being Kain. Gross.

Rating: 8/10

Maybe.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2013, 09:32:52 AM »
The odd thing is that reducing the grinding wouldn't be that hard really.  If the game had checks to ensure that new Dark Notes always spawned crystals you didn't have it'd take the "repeat this song repeatedly for one crystal that might not even drop" down a peg; you could just do the new Dark Note and know you were getting something from it.  Far as I can tell, the game already accounts for your party when spawning Dark Notes (it seems that party average level factors into the difficulty rating of the Note) so having another check for "what characters do you have available" doesn't seem like that much extra.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2013, 05:09:10 PM »
Yeah, seriously, we get Kain and not Celes?

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2013, 06:18:54 PM »
Yeah, seriously, we get Kain and not Edward?

Fixed!
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2013, 11:44:55 PM »
I would say the grind is entirely at that level by design.  It would be super easy to reduce the grind.  They want to try and get you to play for some amount of time if you are interested beyond just "beating" the game.  That genre (and many others) have real trouble with player stickiness outside of just playing the songs you like when you really feel like it even if you enjoy the gameplay itself.

Stuff like Guitar Hero try to get you to play longer with various cosmetic unlocks.  Theatrythm using a mix of random drops and a skill check (I presume you have to beat the song after getting the note?) is probably less "fun", but fits well as a meld between RPG roots and Rhythm game.  It fits thematically.

Also disappoint in your taste etcetc.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2013, 12:30:09 AM »
Edward?!?! Gross, Meeple. Also, yay chibis~
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2013, 01:09:50 AM »
Oh come on!

It's a FF Rhythm game based entirely around the music in the game.  This is the ONE TIME where Edward, the only canonical bard, makes more sense than any other character in the series to be a SUPER PC or something!!

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2013, 02:34:47 AM »
The grind is definitely intentional (Tr is basically the same series as Dissidia, and its sequel decided to be even grindier than the first), it's just out of place.  The thing is the mechanics behind unlocking characters are a series of two song sets with randomly generated difficulties and note arrangement and you have to do about a hundred of them to get achievements.  So there's already some stickiness there, let alone that you already have to grind just to unlock songs normally.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2013, 05:57:10 AM »
Let's wrap this up, then.

1. Kid Icarus: Uprising (Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo, 2012)

Well that was an easy decision.

With all due respect to Theatrhythm, I'm quite glad it did not end up my favourite game of 2012, because it wouldn't even make #2 most years. To some extent I'm a little disappointed with the games I played this year; plenty of them are good but none really entered into the ranks of my all-time favourites. Until, as the twelfth and final new game of the year, I picked up Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Uprising is technically part of the Kid Icarus franchise, although over two decades have passed since the previous game in that franchise, and Uprising bears little resemblance to its predecessors. While those games were sidescrollers, Uprising is an entirely different genre... two of them, in fact. The game is divided between two segments: a flying, on-rails shooter similar to Star Fox, and a ground-based 3D action game featuring a mix of melee and ranged combat, somewhat akin to Devil May Cry. Somewhat stunningly it succeeds at making both segments a lot of fun, although it's pretty obvious that the latter is the richer experience.

Rather remarkably, the game gets by in both modes with just three methods of control, rather than the larger array of buttons many games lean on. Despite this, the flexibility afforded by two of these (the analog stick and the stylus) allows for a fair deal of freedom. In flying sections, they allow the player to move one way while shooting something completely different, with the stylus directing shots far faster than any other control scheme (analog stick, mouse, etc.) could. In ground sections, the stylus gets a second function in addition to aiming: camera control. It sounds hectic to give the stylus the two responsibilities at once but ends up feeling natural. The third and final control is the shooting button. Not much need be said about this function except that it handles in a way I wish more games would. You don't have to mash the button repeatedly if you want to fire repeatedly (just hold it down) and you don't have to hold it down to charge (just don't fire it). It's a far better model than is seen in other games like Mega Man and Metroid and I wish more games would adopt it. The game's targetting system allows it to get away with just having one button for ranged and melee attacks: target an enemy in melee range, and you'll use a melee attack; otherwise, you'll fire at your target. It generally works quite well though there are occasional enemies you really only want to hit with one attack type so choosing the wrong type by mistake is annoying.

Enemy design is generally quite good. The game has a shockingly large number of different enemies which nevertheless manage to feel memorable in terms of how they attack, how you avoid them, and what methods of attack work best at taking them down. Bosses, while not up to the standards of the genre's all-time greats, are also quite good, although this is only easily appreciated on higher difficulties. Speaking of difficulties, the game does a great job of having a huge range of them available. The default difficulty of 2 is rather easy, but options exist to play from difficulty 0 (which borders on gameplay skip) and difficulty 9 which is so grueling that even after dozens upon dozens of hours of playing I never did beat a level on that difficulty. Die in a level, and you restart at a checkpoint, but the difficulty will lower (unless it's already at two) so you're in no danger of ultimately picking a difficulty which is "too hard", although you do lose some hearts (currency) for overestimating your own abilities. Since the rewards from a level increase with difficulty, there's a strong incentive to pick the hardest difficulty on which you can beat a level without dying, which is pretty fun.

So there's a lot to like about the gameplay, but how about other aspects of the game? Perhaps somewhat surprisingly for both a Nintendo first-party title and an action game, the writing is actually, legitimately very good! The game is primarily a comedy, but an extremely smart and self-aware one. The story follows Pit, the justice-driven angelic warrior with an insatiable appetite for food and hot springs, and Palutena, his patron goddess who balances her role as the overlord of all things good with a habit of trolling everyone around her. The interplay between the two characters is a lot of fun to follow and manages to remain fresh throughout the game, but they are aided considerably by the injection of many other memorable characters, from Viridi the sarcastic nature goddess bent on wiping out humanity, to Hades the roguish and affably evil lord of the underworld, to Pyrrhon the sun god who is pretty much the large ham superhero dialled up to eleven. Even the bit players manage to be memorable and the game manages to string them along with a very high quality of writing, full of humourous fourth-wall breaking and references. The game's serious plot gets paid relatively less attention, but it's actually not bad at points (better than most primarily humourous game stories, in my estimation), although never the reason one would play the game.

The story is also presented, for the most part, not in cutscenes but through dialog which runs alongside the gameplay. While at times the two can distract from each other (it can be a little difficult to pay close attention to lines when dodging through a bullet hell), overall it works extremely well and keeps the pacing of the story brisk. Like many of Uprising's other good ideas, I'm left wondering why more games don't do this more often, although in fairness there are plenty of genres and story moments it simply wouldn't work for. Even if the simultaneously gameplay and dialog annoys the player, the game offers two solutions: low intensity is stress-free enough that the player can devote all attention to the story, and if the dialog is distracting it can be turned off entirely (though doing so makes you a bad person). For the game's few "true" cutscenes, sceneskip can be applied, and will be if it's a scene before or in the middle of a boss fight that kills you a bunch of times repeatedly. Not that this, er, happened to me of course.

Aesthetically, the game features good art, with a bevy of well-done facial expressions to help with communicating the game's snappy dialog, and rather unremarkable graphics. The game makes a decent use of the 3DS' 3D technology (though less good than Mario Kart 7), for all that I didn't use it much. Musically the game is an excellent piece of work co-authored by the famous Mitsuda and Sakuraba, with every stage having at least one (usually two) unique pieces of music, and most of the major characters having set leitmotifs associated with them. The on-rails flight sections allow music to be synced nicely to the stage itself, which is used to both dramatic and humourous effect (if I were Pit, I'd be worried when the music stopped dead, too...). Unfortunately the game only has two boss tracks, one of which is used for roughly 90% of the bosses, but fortunately said track is pretty rockin'.

The game doesn't make many errors, but most of what it does questionably is in the area of its controls. While the three-controls thing already mentioned generally works well, the combination of analog and stylus makes it a little awkward to hold the 3DS, though gamers have come up with various solutions and once you get used to it, it's not bad. Perhaps the more pressing concern is that the game has a rarely-used fourth control, which is to use a bomb (flight) or powerup (ground). While the game provides several ways of doing so (either pressing a certain place on the touchscreen or using the D-pad) both involve lifting one finger or stylus to a different place and can be difficult to do on the extremely short notice that such actions often require.

The game's decision to hand out weapons and powerups as random prizes also seems questionable. While the game does a pretty good job with weapon balance and making them feel different, the acquisition method remains a bit bizarre, probably another example of MMO game philosophy bleeding into games these days. Ultimately it doesn't really hurt the game, though.

The game isn't perfect. It has some small flaws, as already touched on. There are things about the game, such as its boss design, which is good but not the outstanding that a 10/10 game of the genre demands. Still, it's extremely good. The game held my attention for some 60-75 hours of gameplay with its difficulty modes and its achievement hunts, with its fast pace and the sharp writing I didn't mind reliving. For a first go-through that's a huge number for me, and I have no doubt whatsoever that I will at some point return and put in even more. It's truly an outstanding game that I recommend to anyone who owns the system and has even a passing interest in the genre, as its adjustable difficulty makes it approachable and enjoyable for all levels. And for those who don't own the system... what are you waiting for?

The good: Pretty much everything; great gameplay and writing and music, difficulty levels
The bad: Some ultimately minor control issues
The ugly: Most of Hades' Inside Story

Rating: 9.5/10

Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2013, 04:44:46 PM »
And that is why your should change your avatar to Arlon!!!
...what?

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2013, 03:25:25 AM »
And for those who don't own the system... what are you waiting for?

Does this really need be asked at the forum with 16 stat topics over ~9 games for a certain series(Okay there's Virtue's Last Reward too, but that's on Vita as well.)