Author Topic: RPGDL 2013 Season 1, Week 2: Filling your dark soul with glorious Light  (Read 3055 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Week 1 will still be open for about a day from this post, but since it's week 2 why wait.

Godlike

Diva (SaGa Frontier) vs Indalecio (Star Ocean: The Second Story)
Emelious (Grandia III) vs Katrina Liane Elesius (Wild ARMs XF)
Tanzer (SaGa Frontier) vs Lenneth Valkyrie (Valkyrie Profile Series)
Belial (Wild ARMs 4) vs X (Mega Man X: Command Mission) 

Heavy

Sa-Lews (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium) vs Vayne Aurelius (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis)
Ryu (Breath of Fire) vs Rose (Legend of Dragoon)
Tohru Adachi (Persona 4) vs Freyjadour Falenas (Suikoden V)
Sync (Tales of the Abyss) vs Ziggurat 8 (Xenosaga Series)

Middle

chaos (Xenosaga Series) vs Gardevoir (Pokémon)
Raynie (Radiant Historia) vs Cray (Breath of Fire IV)
Isabel (Suikoden V) vs Leehalt Alcester (Wild ARMs 3)
Caellach (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones) vs Kyle (Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete)

Light

Riddel (Chrono Cross) vs Pierre (Chrono Cross)
Palmer (Final Fantasy VII) vs Cinnamon (Mega Man X: Command Mission)
Thomas (Suikoden III) vs Doll (SaGa Frontier)
Shady Thousand (Wild ARMs 3) vs Lucius (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
Godlike

Diva (SaGa Frontier) vs Indalecio (Star Ocean: The Second Story): First of all, is Indalecio a mystic? I could buy Nedians as mystics, but IIRC the Wise Men were actually androids, i.e. robots, i.e. the opposite of mystics, so no "Diva suddenly fails" hype today. Diva is... OHKO damage either defence, 3PC at minimum. Indalecio is a little less durable, but faster, but doesn't get OHKO until he hits a limit. Kinda closish. Diva just wins if she can 3HKO without triggering the limit first turn... and now that I think about it she almost certainly can, she has loads of damage control. So yeah, two Indy physicals + one EQ/Explode isn't cutting it.
Emelious (Grandia III) vs Katrina Liane Elesius (Wild ARMs XF): Emelious needs ~6 hits to kill, Katrina needs ~4, and she's ITE. She starts slower enough for this to be close, but ends up way faster, so she takes the slugfest handilly enough.
Tanzer (SaGa Frontier) vs Lenneth Valkyrie (Valkyrie Profile Series): Yeah, haha, no tendril hype for me, Tanzer's 1.38 PCHP move I never saw is already way better than he deserves. Earlygame Saga boss HP not super-good (note for anyone checking the stat topic: it's only that high if you import save data), so Lenneth has no problems 2HKOing, and her durability with Forcefield is... 1.4 to the first attack. Yay!
Belial (Wild ARMs 4) vs X (Mega Man X: Command Mission): Um yeah. X not really much of a Godlike. edit: Not trying to say he doesn't belong there, just that he can't compete with the likes of Belial!

Heavy

Sa-Lews (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium) vs Vayne Aurelius (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis): Is a PS4 boss, therefore survives Overrealm.
Ryu (Breath of Fire) vs Rose (Legend of Dragoon): Faster, 2HKOs.
Sync (Tales of the Abyss) vs Ziggurat 8 (Xenosaga Series): Ziggy's Heavy? Um, really? I don't recall him being that impressive in Middle...

Middle

chaos (Xenosaga Series) vs Gardevoir (Pokémon): Similarly, chaos is close to Light.
Raynie (Radiant Historia) vs Cray (Breath of Fire IV): Don't think Cray could simultaneously resist fire and ice, that's not the type of equipment BoF4 had. I'd think she 3HKOs without being 2HKOed.
Isabel (Suikoden V) vs Leehalt Alceste (Wild ARMs 3): Isabel is close to 2HKOing. If she doesn't make it she's so dead though, two Rule of Vengeances and 3 Eliminate Scanners? So dead. If she does 2HKO, though, she scrapes by... even if the first hit is a crit, barely. Not sure at all.
Caellach (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones) vs Kyle (Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete): Caellach's about 0.67 pdur to me, so Kyle 2HKOs. Kyle goes first, so he needs to survive two Caellach attacks which do 117%. Kyle has... 121%.

Light

Riddel (Chrono Cross) vs Pierre (Chrono Cross): Ugh, so wrong.
Palmer (Final Fantasy VII) vs Cinnamon (Mega Man X: Command Mission): Resists fire/ice/lightning. Probably doesn't need to, but that makes this a no-brainer.
Thomas (Suikoden III) vs Doll (SaGa Frontier): Thomas vs. mages is pretty bad, but it's still Doll. Thomas 4HKOs at worst and has a 3-2.
Shady Thousand (Wild ARMs 3) vs Lucius (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword): They're pretty similar, except Lucius counters and has better damage, and probably better res as well. Shady goes first but isn't overturning the rest of that, and counters speed up the match enough that he isn't going to doubleturn.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile

Godlike

Diva (SaGa Frontier) vs Indalecio (Star Ocean: The Second Story) - I'll bite.
Tanzer (SaGa Frontier) vs Lenneth Valkyrie (Valkyrie Profile Series) - ew

Middle

chaos (Xenosaga Series) vs Gardevoir (Pokémon) - well the chaos I know sure doesn't take this.
Raynie (Radiant Historia) vs Cray (Breath of Fire IV) - Sure.
Caellach (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones) vs Kyle (Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete)

Light

Shady Thousand (Wild ARMs 3) vs Lucius (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) - uh yeah

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
Godlike

Emelious (Grandia III) vs Katrina Liane Elesius (Wild ARMs XF): Katrina I suppose...
Tanzer (SaGa Frontier) vs Lenneth Valkyrie (Valkyrie Profile Series): Just a reminder that allowing Lenneth high level techs should probably take away ber level advantage...

Heavy

Sa-Lews (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium) vs Vayne Aurelius (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis): Sa Lews. But Vayne would win with mp restoration items!
Ryu (Breath of Fire) vs Rose (Legend of Dragoon): Rose. Half full SP.
Tohru Adachi (Persona 4) vs Freyjadour Falenas (Suikoden V): Freyja? Big magic damage.
Sync (Tales of the Abyss) vs Ziggurat 8 (Xenosaga Series):  Sync? But Ziggy choking a bitch would be funny.

Middle

Raynie (Radiant Historia) vs Cray (Breath of Fire IV): Raynie. Cray isn't resisting the big 3 at once.
Isabel (Suikoden V) vs Leehalt Alcester (Wild ARMs 3): Leehalt. More RoV respect.
Caellach (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones) vs Kyle (Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete): Kyle. OHKO.

Light

wtf Light. Later.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
Can't Doll just Charm Thomas?

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Godlike

Tanzer (SaGa Frontier)
vs Lenneth Valkyrie (Valkyrie Profile Series)

Heavy

Ryu (Breath of Fire) vs Rose (Legend of Dragoon)- Owned by Ryu1 physicals. Impressive, Rose.
Tohru Adachi (Persona 4) vs Freyjadour Falenas (Suikoden V)- I don't think S5 could halve ID? This vote changes if they could.
Sync (Tales of the Abyss) vs Ziggurat 8 (Xenosaga Series)- Abstain for now.  95% sure Sync wins, but I need to look up Ziggy's offensive options. EDIT:Fail less at life, Sync.

Light

Riddel (Chrono Cross) vs Pierre (Chrono Cross)- I feel the opposite of Elfboy. Riddel was garbage in game (Oh joy, a CC mage!!!). So was Pierre for that matter, but whatever.
[bT]homas (Suikoden III)[/b] vs Doll (SaGa Frontier)- Doll is not good.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 06:01:27 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile

Heavy

Ryu (Breath of Fire) vs Rose (Legend of Dragoon) - Sigh.  I was about to hype the ID but DL Ryu is a smidge faster to do the 2HKO, alas.  (Yay for characters you don't use or who get soul-sucked into Puka stinking up the averages.)
Sync (Tales of the Abyss) vs Ziggurat 8 (Xenosaga Series) - Ziggy did indeed upgrade to Heavy, yes.  He's not much good there, but such is the fate of borderliners.

Middle

chaos (Xenosaga Series) vs Gardevoir (Pokémon) - I don't know Gardevoir well enough to vote, but strictly from the stat topic Gardevoir sounds really good for Middle and likely beats XS3 chaos anyway if it's allowed.  Fast 2HKO, XS3 chaos's status game doesn't really work against Synchronize + 2HKO to stop Curse shenanigans.
Caellach (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones) vs Kyle (Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete) - I'll trust Elf.

Light

Riddel (Chrono Cross) vs Pierre (Chrono Cross) - More reason to use Riddel than Pierre, at least!  Gotta smite some Darioage.
Shady Thousand (Wild ARMs 3) vs Lucius (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) - Shady has Fire = MAGIC TRIANGLE DISADVANTAGE FOR LUCIUS
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 05:04:45 PM by SnowFire »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Fascination is kinda inaccurate and lasts basically no time at all (1-2 turns including the one it was cast? On someone as slow as Doll? uuuuummmmmm). She really spends a lot of time not making any leeway at all if she goes that route.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Diva (SaGa Frontier) vs Indalecio (Star Ocean: The Second Story) - Comparable durability, better damage off the cusp and enough damage control to keep Indy's offense hax to a minimum. Yeah.
Emelious (Grandia III) vs Katrina Liane Elesius (Wild ARMs XF) - :katrina:
Tanzer (SaGa Frontier) vs Lenneth Valkyrie (Valkyrie Profile Series) - hahahahaha tanzer fails to ohko and gets 2hkoed back
Belial (Wild ARMs 4) vs X (Mega Man X: Command Mission) - Hot Pockets.

Sa-Lews (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium) vs Vayne Aurelius (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) - PS4 bosses failing to survive Overrealm strings. Yeah no.
Ryu (Breath of Fire) vs Rose (Legend of Dragoon) - EDIT: I'm silly! Undersold Ryu damage again.
Tohru Adachi (Persona 4) vs Freyjadour Falenas (Suikoden V) - He just OHKOs and goes first.
Sync (Tales of the Abyss) vs Ziggurat 8 (Xenosaga Series) - If Ziggy speed wasn't as trashy as it was, he'd have a better shot. That he even has a longshot here, though, is kind of a testament to Sync's issues.

chaos (Xenosaga Series) vs Gardevoir (Pokémon) - chaos is awful.
Raynie (Radiant Historia) vs Cray (Breath of Fire IV) - 3HKOs, isn't -OHKOed-. I'm pretty sure Cray gets 3-2'd by average speed. >_>
Isabel (Suikoden V) vs Leehalt Alceste (Wild ARMs 3) - Isabel is slower and her mdur is actually sorta actively bad, not to mention she doesn't 2HKO average. Heck, she kinda needs a 3x crit or having an extra swing -or- critting on both rounds here. I don't think it works out the way she wants it on average.
Caellach (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones) vs Kyle (Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete) - Um.

Riddel (Chrono Cross) vs Pierre (Chrono Cross) - :ck:
Palmer (Final Fantasy VII) vs Cinnamon (Mega Man X: Command Mission) - :palmer:
Thomas (Suikoden III) vs Doll (SaGa Frontier) - :doll:
Shady Thousand (Wild ARMs 3) vs Lucius (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) - So many people in this field get SPOILED BY SHADY and he happens to land into SPOILED BY LUCIUS territory. ;_;
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 01:24:00 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
Charm on Thomas, who only has ST attacks, doesn't do anything but cause him to sit there motionless (you can't attack yourself with ST attacks in Saga). It's fairly unlikely Doll will buy herself more turns with charm than she'll lose casting it, since it has a 42% hit rate.

Snowfire: Huh, good catch about Ziggy, I had forgotten that. I definitely think he's more of a Middle (Thursday/Miakis/Dekar are his Middle wins, and of the three only Dekar even threatens to break the division's average) but the nom makes reasonable sense now.

Super: S5 does not have enemy-side ID I don't believe, but even if it does... as Yellow Scarf didn't stop ID in S3, I would suggest it also most likely does not in S5.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 06:00:35 PM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
Re: RPGDL 2013 Season 1, Week 2: Filling your dark soul with glorious Light
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 06:05:14 PM »
Tohru Adachi (Persona 4) vs Freyjadour Falenas (Suikoden V) - What Aiel said. Adachi has roughly average durability and Prince Falenas is doing about 0.85 PCHP. Helps that the Prince is slower than average.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 06:18:14 PM »
Tohru Adachi (Persona 4) vs Freyjadour Falenas (Suikoden V) - What Aiel said. Adachi has roughly average durability and Prince Falenas is doing about 0.85 PCHP. Helps that the Prince is slower than average.

Yes, ignoring the fact that Adachi -always goes last in-game- in a system where speed is crucial for determining first-turn initiative (it doesn't matter afterwards) for at least 95% of the game's battles. There are less than ten battles in the -whole game- where the turn order works differently, and it definitely should be taken into account for them, since it's a legitimate disadvantage they have in-game compared to basically every other enemy in the game.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 06:38:44 PM »
Yes, ignoring the fact that Adachi -always goes last in-game- in a system where speed is crucial for determining first-turn initiative (it doesn't matter afterwards) for at least 95% of the game's battles. There are less than ten battles in the -whole game- where the turn order works differently, and it definitely should be taken into account for them, since it's a legitimate disadvantage they have in-game compared to basically every other enemy in the game.

Speed doesn't matter in those fights.  So say Adachi goes "last", so after Freyjadour.  After that he's average and gets a second turn right away.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 08:32:54 PM »
Godlike

Tanzer (SaGa Frontier) vs Lenneth Valkyrie (Valkyrie Profile Series)

Heavy

Sa-Lews (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium) vs Vayne Aurelius (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis)
Ryu (Breath of Fire) vs Rose (Legend of Dragoon)
Tohru Adachi (Persona 4) vs Freyjadour Falenas (Suikoden V)

Middle

Light

Riddel (Chrono Cross) vs Pierre (Chrono Cross)- wtf
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 08:41:01 PM »
As a note on Ryu vs Rose.  Much as I'm totally cool with a Rose vote since she seems like she "should" win.  The BoF1 stat topic claims that Ryu1's untransformed damage is ~.45-.48 PCHP.  He's also 131 ACT to a 113 average.  Rose is a tad below average durability.  So...  he doesn't need to transform to get the 2HKO, short of Puka-in-the-averages hype or the like.  (The better argument for Rose is hyping the fact that her speed is ATB and thus means something, enabling her to, even if she goes second the first round, go first the second round and ID before the 2HKO happens.)

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 09:05:23 PM »
I see Adachi as average but losing most tiebreaks. Either way, 80% ID with no resistance is first turn to me (and, I think, most people) so Adachi wins on that and the fact that Prince can't OHKO, regardless of speed.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2013, 09:20:50 PM »
Adachi ID also isn't 80% either. <_< more like 60%.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 09:32:52 PM »
Gotta love that stat topic accuracy! Either way, I personally see >50%, so that's a win either way. You need to see the Prince as getting two turns before Adachi does /and/ the ID being turn 2 for Adachi to lose.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 09:36:23 PM »
Bah, dammit Doll! Shouldn't Glass Shield shut down Thomas? I can't remember if she starts with Glass Shield or not, though.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 09:40:31 PM »
Godlike

Diva (SaGa Frontier) vs Indalecio (Star Ocean: The Second Story)- Uh wow, well, I'm assuming that in game Diva doesn't really have much control over focusing. So she gets credit for it once and then it falls by the wayside completely to me. Her HP is good but structurally the way she's built is not something I'm going to respect DL. If she does actually focus attacks even with a full party up, this would be a different story
Tanzer (SaGa Frontier) vs Lenneth Valkyrie (Valkyrie Profile Series)- Sure?

Heavy

Ryu (Breath of Fire) vs Rose (Legend of Dragoon)- Starting SP
Tohru Adachi (Persona 4) vs Freyjadour Falenas (Suikoden V)- Sure, 60% ID missing turn 1 (I mean...come on, 60% ID when one character had to immune it (Naoto) and one character halves it (Teddy). This is why giving over 50% status that much credit doesn't make sense unless you factor it stuff like this too).

Middle

Isabel (Suikoden V) vs Leehalt Alcester (Wild ARMs 3)- Is Leehalt sub PC HP? I think he was at least at that level, which would make this match easy.
Caellach (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones) vs Kyle (Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete)- Caellaech has last strike and scaled against only 2 PCs had 50% PC HP. Kyle can just buff and then kill him in a hit

Light

Riddel (Chrono Cross) vs Pierre (Chrono Cross)- Even allowing attack elements, Pierre's evasion deals with other CC well by cutting off some needed build up hits
...into the nightfall.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2013, 09:46:32 PM »
Bah, dammit Doll! Shouldn't Glass Shield shut down Thomas? I can't remember if she starts with Glass Shield or not, though.

Multihits (he gets two swings), so arguably not. But fundamentally, with Doll's speed, durability and offense combo, GlassShield really doesn't scare much at all, especially with how bad its spillover damage is. Even if you see it getting around multiple hits, Thomas rams into it and kills faster -anyway- because Doll is horrendously slow and rather frail.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2013, 09:48:03 PM »
Gotta love that stat topic accuracy! Either way, I personally see >50%, so that's a win either way. You need to see the Prince as getting two turns before Adachi does /and/ the ID being turn 2 for Adachi to lose.

Or one, because it still baffles me how people kneejerk half Kunino-Sagiri's HP at a point where the damage average more than doubled compared to Kunino as not being terrible.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 01:23:10 AM »
As a note on Ryu vs Rose.  Much as I'm totally cool with a Rose vote since she seems like she "should" win.  The BoF1 stat topic claims that Ryu1's untransformed damage is ~.45-.48 PCHP.  He's also 131 ACT to a 113 average.  Rose is a tad below average durability.

Actually, I'm doing some fact-checking right now. Yeah, you're right. Ryu -so- does 2HKO Rose and is faster, I keep underselling his base offense. And he 2HKOs with room to spare, Rose is like 0.72 pdur (yes, she's openly frail). Edit is in place.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2013, 03:15:49 AM »
I think Ryu has a 2HKO to average with the Emperorsword (scummy last minute weapon). This shouldn't matter with 'half full' gauge if you allow it. I do so Rose actually belongs in Heavy... probably.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2013, 05:57:02 PM »
Also.

Ziggy over Sync. Harrowing Gale is a 50% HP limit and Ziggy can chip past that with his XS1 form. Stone Dragon Ascent is decent damage, but not enough on it's own to pressure a tank like Ziggy. Ziggy hastes, heals, and can chip till he smashes past the danger range with a buffed executioner.  I would agree that Ziggy's not much of a Heavy (elemental reliance, a little slow), but he can handle limit fighters well enough.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 05:59:10 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...