Register

Author Topic: Shift Tourney: Week 2  (Read 3588 times)

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Shift Tourney: Week 2
« on: June 21, 2013, 11:48:43 PM »
This week, a noble dragon must contend with a misguided fanatic thirsting for vengeance.  A story so touching, we've decided to tell it thrice.  (We've told Rune that if he wins out, he can get another chance to settle up with Justin.)

Divinities

TimeLord (Saga Frontier) vs. Shinryuu (Final Fantasy 5)
Ryu3 (Breath of Fire 3) vs. Belial (Wild Arms 4)
Ghaleon (Lunar) vs. Viola (Radiant Historia)
Zophar (Lunar 2) vs. Yuna (Final Fantasy X)

Demigods

Berle (Star Ocean 2) vs. Wugui (Shadow Hearts)
Millenia (Grandia 2) vs. Yaridovich (Super Mario RPG)
Jack van Burace (Wild Arms) vs. Wakka (Final Fantasy X)
Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) vs. Jessica Albert (Dragon Quest 8)

Fang (Final Fantasy XIII) vs. Gades (Lufia series)
Raquel (Wild Arms 4) vs. Legretta (Tales of the Abyss)
Magus (Chrono Trigger) vs. Ryu Bateson (Breath of Fire 2)
Purim (Secret of Mana) vs. Dorothy Gale (The Wizard of Oz)

Heroes

Lyon (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones) vs. Ashley Winchester (Wild Arms 2)
Basilio (Fire Emblem: Awakening) vs. Poo (Earthbound)
Marle (Chrono Trigger) vs. Freya Crescent (Final Fantasy IX)
Eiko (Final Fantasy 9) vs. Lazlo (Suikoden IV)

Sara (Breath of Fire) vs. Rune Walsh (Phantasy Star IV)
Eruca (Radiant Historia) vs. Princess Toadstool (Super Mario RPG)
Alfina (Grandia III) vs. Tengaar (Suikoden series)
Klein (Atelier Iris) vs. Yukiko (Persona 4)

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Shift Tourney: Week 2
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 12:09:10 AM »
Demigods

Jack van Burace (Wild Arms) vs. Wakka (Final Fantasy X)- Soul Breaker.
Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) vs. Jessica Albert (Dragon Quest 8)- Donno. Whoever goes first wins. Leaning Jowy.

Fang (Final Fantasy XIII) vs. Gades (Lufia series)- Fang can't heal and Gades immunes most of her tricks.
Raquel (Wild Arms 4) vs. Legretta (Tales of the Abyss)- Kneejerk of Raquel doing horrible things to a limit boss.
Magus (Chrono Trigger) vs.Ryu Bateson (Breath of Fire 2)- Magus has serious issues even not considering G.Dragon. With that? Ouch.

Heroes

Marle (Chrono Trigger) vs. Freya Crescent (Final Fantasy IX)- Luna. Marle might outslug if she gets lucky with weapon status, but not likely with how bad her defense is.
Eiko (Final Fantasy 9) vs. Lazlo (Suikoden IV)- ID.

Sara (Breath of Fire) vs. Rune Walsh (Phantasy Star IV)- Universe: taunting Elfboy.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 12:16:28 AM »
Week 1 is still open, but there were 13 nominators and 14 voters, so I figured why wait.

No Saga, but while it's hilarious that boss TimeLord loses, I'd be pretty much in favor of letting PC TL's initiative win here, from a holistic standpoint if nothing else.  Yes, Masamune's initiative is better than TL's turn-based initiative, but holistically you can sneak some ownage in on Shinryuu at initiative in-game, and a "Shinryuu insta-doubles" argument seems odd since I'm pretty sure that thanks to ATB, he won't ACTUALLY insta-double post Tidal Wave.  In-game you'll be able to have your Coral Ring'd White Mage resolve some revival before Shin's 2nd turn comes (but I can double-check if anyone wants).

Amusing.  Viola wins if you don't scale the number of hits down, of course, but then she's Bluelike.  (While Ghaleon's Chaos Shield is HP-based and thus pretty obviously should be scaled down.)  Anyway, 3x Physical should break Viola's shield tricks pretty darn fast, and even does extra damage to the front-row Viola.

Demigods

Fail-off. I guess.
70% ID.  Loses horribly if it misses of course, so should arguably Hatbot this one.
Ouch.

Fang (Final Fantasy XIII) vs. Gades (Lufia series)
Insert Gades respect elsewhere.
A boss mage, Raquel's nightmare, but also a limit mage.  Moonlight + Dragon Edge hax might yet save the day.  Can Legretta 2HKO the magically frail Raquel at 100% HP?  If so, Raquel is kind of screwed, especially once the doubles start coming in, Dragon Edge spam will knock Legretta into her limit and then Raquel just loses.  EDIT: Sure I'll bite.

Heroes

Ashley needs to attack to build FP.  Definitely a time where DEFEND hype would help, Defend-> OHKO?!  But eh.  (EDIT: Right, Ashley gets FP from damage, too.)
The stat topic claims Luna "Ignores Resistance".  Does that mean ignores 50% resistance, but immunity stops it?  Or ignores everything?  And FF9 had a skill that can block Stop, too, right?  (I'd allow it if there is one that Freya can learn.  Which would help since death by berserk Marle arrows would be humiliating.)
EDIT: Seeing no response, I'm just going to assume Marle immunes the Berserk.
See above, Eiko just blocks ID then wins, I doubt Lazlo can heal lock.

Paralysis, right?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 10:45:43 PM by SnowFire »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 12:26:43 AM »
TimeLord (Saga Frontier) vs. Shinryuu (Final Fantasy 5) - Wow, Shinryuu durability is pretty bad. TL blasts that pretty easily with OverDrive.
Ryu3 (Breath of Fire 3) vs. Belial (Wild Arms 4) - Pocket dragons.
Ghaleon (Lunar) vs. Viola (Radiant Historia) - Viola has a 5-2 split on Ghaleon and -it doesn't even matter-. He one-rounds her if she doesn't Divine Light, 2HKOs in practice if she does and she misses a 4HKO.
Zophar (Lunar 2) vs. Yuna (Final Fantasy X) EBO. :effort:

Berle (Star Ocean 2) vs. Wugui (Shadow Hearts) - wugui against ID-immune physicals aw yeah
Millenia (Grandia 2) vs. Yaridovich (Super Mario RPG) - Complete Yari durability respect check. But he's pretty solid at it, even if Millenia hits weakness with Gadzap (it's 4HKO damage at base and Yari is a magic -tank-).
Jack van Burace (Wild Arms) vs. Wakka (Final Fantasy X) - EDIT: FINE. Jack status can get bent.
Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) vs. Jessica Albert (Dragon Quest 8) - Faster.

Yun Fang Oerba (Final Fantasy XIII) vs. Gades (Lufia series) - High Heavy against a Middle.
Raquel Applegate (Wild Arms 4) vs. Legretta (Tales of the Abyss) - Moonlight => lolintrude. Legretta HP isn't so hot that it can withstand two Raquel thwacks. EDIT: Snowfire, Legretta's full HP magical damage is EGREGIOUS SUCK. She -5HKOs- average with Eclair de Larmes (her best magic at that point), and Raquel's mdur is 96% PC HP. She can just Moonlight her way to victory that way.
Magus (Chrono Trigger) vs. Ryu Bateson (Breath of Fire 2) - srsly
Purim (Secret of Mana) vs. Dorothy Gale (The Wizard of Oz) - Purim -has- to immune Sleep or die, but she becomes UTTER BAIT to  Melt Down spam (seriously, her mdur more than HALVES with Sleep immunity) that way. To make things worse, Mirror Skin walls Purim's turn one offensive options and Dorothy's both faster and capable of ending this before Purim can do much of anything.

Lyon (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones) vs. Ashley Winchester (Wild Arms 2) - huh.
Basilio (Fire Emblem: Awakening) vs. Poo (Earthbound) - Poo doesn't even double Basilio, which would be his best chance... if he had ST damage worth a damn. As is, Basilio OHKOs him on a Killer crit or heal-locks him with Brave Axe, Poo resources are pretty much shit. Strangeness hype can fall off a cliff for all I care.
Nadia "Marle" Guardia (Chrono Trigger) vs. Freya Crescent (Final Fantasy IX) - Eh.
Eiko Carol (Final Fantasy 9) vs. Lazlo (Suikoden IV) - lol id

Sara (Breath of Fire) vs. Rune Walsh (Phantasy Star IV) - Rune wants healing so bad.
Eruca (Radiant Historia) vs. Princess Toadstool (Super Mario RPG) - Sleep or Silence own Eruca pretty bad.
Alfina (Grandia III) vs. Tengaar (Suikoden series) - uhhhhhhh - Iunno. I think the tiebreak for speed goes to Tengaar for me, and she's pretty much closing the deal with a second Earthquake the minute Alfina lets paralysis up - and it takes her a long time to set up Armaggedon => Meteor Strikes. Healing is pretty useless because Alfina's healing is junk and she needs to cast it thrice for her to erase Earthquake's damage. I just don't know.
Klein Kiesling (Atelier Iris) vs. Yukiko Amagi (Persona 4) - Battle of "only Dhyer can vote".
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 03:57:54 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 12:42:46 AM »
Ones I don't have to think on much first.

Divinities

TimeLord (Saga Frontier) vs. Shinryuu (Final Fantasy 5) - sure
Ryu3 (Breath of Fire 3) vs. Belial (Wild Arms 4) - Belial needs 4D Pocket to win this and I don't allow it.
Ghaleon (Lunar) vs. Viola (Radiant Historia) - Scaling down the number of hits on Divine Protection or whatever is reasonable enough to me.
Zophar (Lunar 2) vs. Yuna (Final Fantasy X) - I assume aeon conga suffices at worst.

Demigods

Berle (Star Ocean 2) vs. Wugui (Shadow Hearts) - Uh huh.
Millenia (Grandia 2) vs. Yaridovich (Super Mario RPG) - Fear the spear, yo.
Jack van Burace (Wild Arms) vs. Wakka (Final Fantasy X) - Sure.

Magus (Chrono Trigger) vs. Ryu Bateson (Breath of Fire 2) - Kaboom.
Purim (Secret of Mana) vs. Dorothy Gale (The Wizard of Oz) - right, mirror skin/purim mdef after sleepblocking
Heroes

Lyon (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones) vs. Ashley Winchester (Wild Arms 2) - edit: yeah okay no Lyon doesn't OHKO an average taken five levels lower than the stat topic has him against and Ashley is surely above here, Full Clip is go.
Basilio (Fire Emblem: Awakening) vs. Poo (Earthbound) - Poo doesn't have much to shift the fight in his favor.
Marle (Chrono Trigger) vs. Freya Crescent (Final Fantasy IX) - meh.

Eruca (Radiant Historia) vs. Princess Toadstool (Super Mario RPG) - Goes first and OHKOs with her physical.  Eruca physical durability is egregious failure.  Edit: wait no not quite, still she needs to stack Sky Drops or get owned by sleep and holistically I think I'd penalize her enough to keep this vote where it is.
Alfina (Grandia III) vs. Tengaar (Suikoden series) - uh G3 PC headaches need to check actual numbers and go from there (edit: okay yeah thinking Alfina has a good enough shot at this)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 08:41:50 PM by Random Consonant »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 02:18:54 AM »
Divinities

TimeLord (Saga Frontier) vs. Shinryu (Final Fantasy 5): Shinryu's first turn may or may not go before TimeLord, but it really doesn't matter since he skips it... Tidal Wave is used on the second. Which beats out unhasted average speed, but yeah, auto-haste or masamune both let you go first. So!
Ryu3 (Breath of Fire 3) vs. Belial (Wild Arms 4): 4D Pocket.
Ghaleon (Lunar) vs. Viola (Radiant Historia): Attack -> Hell Wave breaks the barrier while doing some damage, Viola's offence isn't special enough to blitz Ghaleon.
Zophar (Lunar 2) vs. Yuna (Final Fantasy X): Oh look, Yuna gets to beat both Lunar final bosses, how amusing.

Demigods

Berle (Star Ocean 2) vs. Wugui (Shadow Hearts): Durability.
Millenia (Grandia 2) vs. Yaridovich (Super Mario RPG): Easily survives whatever nonsense Millenia can do with one SBE. This assumes he just doesn't go first and OHKO her. Which he probably does.
Jack van Burace (Wild Arms) vs. Wakka (Final Fantasy X): Useless in-game status beats useful in-game status, elves cringe.
Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) vs. Jessica Albert (Dragon Quest 8): Who goes first depends on what equips you use in the averages. Angelo apparently uses Kaswoosh as his DL damage, so he should have Mercury's Rapier, which is all that matters here to make Jowy faster. If someone wants to argue why Angelo should have another weapon as a default, I'll change my vote.

Fang (Final Fantasy XIII) vs. Gades (Lufia series): Har.
Raquel (Wild Arms 4) vs. Legretta (Tales of the Abyss): Legretta has some advantages over both Sync and Van as duellers (durability for starters). Her disadvantage? Failing forever until below 75% HP.
Magus (Chrono Trigger) vs. Ryu Bateson (Breath of Fire 2): Magus might survive G. Dragon! Doesn't matter.
Purim (Secret of Mana) vs. Dorothy Gale (The Wizard of Oz): dat sleepblocker stat hit

Heroes

Lyon (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones) vs. Ashley Winchester (Wild Arms 2): Much as I dislike voting this way, Lyon has no damage control and isn't OHKOing, so is giving Ashley a fuckton of FP. Ashley waits first turn, gets 75 FP, uses Full Clip.
Marle (Chrono Trigger) vs. Freya Crescent (Final Fantasy IX): Hilariously Marle might win even if berserked, stop is that badass (IIRC it's over 10 turns or something insane). Not sure if status immunity blocks berserk or not in CT. Of course, if she DOES stop berserk, this match is so over.
Eiko (Final Fantasy 9) vs. Lazlo (Suikoden IV): Faster, ID.

Sara (Breath of Fire) vs. Rune Walsh (Phantasy Star IV): .... :( Yeah Rune has two good shots of damage but that's it.
Eruca (Radiant Historia) vs. Princess Toadstool (Super Mario RPG): Faster, 2HKOs with Frying Pan or something. Don't think her silly shield move works well when slow?
Alfina (Grandia III) vs. Tengaar (Suikoden series): I think?

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 02:43:14 AM »
Divinities

Ghaleon (Lunar) vs. Viola (Radiant Historia)- Funny because she tried to steal a version of his trick, but his double acting foiled it.
Zophar (Lunar 2) vs. Yuna (Final Fantasy X)- Status ball may get this though

Demigods

Millenia (Grandia 2) vs. Yaridovich (Super Mario RPG)- *Looks up Yaridovich* Um, isn't this is the exact type of person we weren't supposed to nominate? 1.5 PC HP, halves physicals, quarters magic, status immunity, 133% Damage and an 80% backup against defense/evade? Either I'm missing something not in the topic or this person is a clear 5.0 Godlike. I was just going to say that I guess Ryu 2 beats him, but they are the same speed and Ryu 2 is arguably slower because in game he faces Shamans. Jessica might have the sheer damage (But gut is she misses it?)

Fang (Final Fantasy XIII) vs. Gades (Lufia series)- Gades 1 is...back to the 5.0 Godlikes (3 PC durability, 128% speed, 68% damage or 110% after a turn of boosting). Don't think Fang can handle that.

Heroes

Lyon (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones) vs. Ashley Winchester (Wild Arms 2)- Gut first screamed Lyon, but then I remembered that Lyon doesn't OHKO average. If Lyon ever attacks, Ashley will probably get a Full Clip. Ashley can use BlastEm to get around counters, but...may fail to damage Lyon. In that case, it's a standoff...but Ashley still gets 4 FP. Oh yeah, Lyon also gets that last strike, so Ashley takes this.

Eruca (Radiant Historia) vs. Princess Toadstool (Super Mario RPG)- Abstain. I would take Eruca's Pdur at when she actually leaves the party before the dungeon (because nothing can hit her later physically, so she shouldn't be penalized). So...dunno.
Alfina (Grandia III) vs. Tengaar (Suikoden series)- This is a bit weird mirror matchy (Earth mages with anti-basic physical moves). Tengaar has a lot more damage...in 1 shot which doesn't kill Alfina. And then Alfina's anti-physical move becomes relevant...but wait, was Tengaar a dart user? Oh wait, yes, TENGAAR WINS BECAUSE SHE USES DARTS.
Klein (Atelier Iris) vs. Yukiko (Persona 4)- Yukiko is a bit weak for this I think (would never peg her as near the Heavy border. Even with the evade, Speed+Ice Weakness) (Also, I'm sure that Pyro, CK and maybe Neph can vote too!)
...into the nightfall.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 02:53:29 AM »
Yukiko's very clearly in the upper half of Middle, which is all that's needed here.

Man if those numbers on Gades are correct then yeah he shouldn't have been nommed here; I'd assumed he was worse. Yarid... mm. He's good, dunno about top half of Godlike good. Most people probably hold some degree of timed defence against him so he doesn't have that much physical damage. Still tanky with solid overall offence though, yes.

Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 03:23:37 AM »
I haven't played SMRPG, so I couldn't say.  I will say that strictly from the stat topic, I'd definitely presume excellent near-perfect timed defense (similar to how most people assume Shadow Hearts characters get all their hits unless the match goes long) which makes his offense less impressive....  although if Elf thinks that Yarid OHKOs Millenia, I suppose he doesn't!  But yeah even with all his damage cut, Yarid may yet prove to be too overwhelming.  We'll see.

In more "games I can't vote" comments, Yukiko has an MT 2HKO which ain't bad, at least without holding Auto-Tarukaja against the average.  Reasonable offense+ reasonable evasion + healing game is pretty solid even if the speed is slightly below average.

Gades is bad in his Lufia 2 form, which is what I vote, so.

I forgot that Ashley would get FP off damage as well as dodging / attacking, so yeah, he should be good, vote changed.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 04:32:36 AM »
Divinities
TimeLord (Saga Frontier) vs. Shinryuu (Final Fantasy 5): Forgive me for not having much sympathy for time magic raping Shinryuu.
Ryu3 (Breath of Fire 3) vs. Belial (Wild Arms 4): Belial beats every PC ever woo go her. Or something.
Ghaleon (Lunar) vs. Viola (Radiant Historia): Yeah the difference in durability here is massive.
Zophar (Lunar 2) vs. Yuna (Final Fantasy X): All parts/status ball can pull this off. Probably.

Demigods

Berle (Star Ocean 2) vs. Wugui (Shadow Hearts): Ouch.
Millenia (Grandia 2) vs. Yaridovich (Super Mario RPG): I... guess?
Jack van Burace (Wild Arms) vs. Wakka (Final Fantasy X): ID, Paralysis, or Confusion works.
Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) vs. Jessica Albert (Dragon Quest 8): Jowy OHKOs and goes first?

Fang (Final Fantasy XIII) vs. Gades (Lufia series): Not what Fang wanted, a competent boss.
Raquel (Wild Arms 4) vs. Legretta (Tales of the Abyss): Moonlight -> Intrude.
Magus (Chrono Trigger) vs. Ryu Bateson (Breath of Fire 2): Shut up and Explode.
Purim (Secret of Mana) vs. Dorothy Gale (The Wizard of Oz): Purim's pretty screwed over by Mirror Skin. Well, she could give herself a status physical, but by then she'll already have died to a bunch of Meltdowns.

Heroes

Lyon (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones) vs. Ashley Winchester (Wild Arms 2): As I still do Boss Scaling to SRPG bosses Lyon dies to two Fantom Fangs.
Basilio (Fire Emblem: Awakening) vs. Poo (Earthbound)
Eiko (Final Fantasy 9) vs. Lazlo (Suikoden IV): Should heal lock with a physical at worst...

Sara (Breath of Fire) vs. Rune Walsh (Phantasy Star IV): Too much durability.
Eruca (Radiant Historia) vs. Princess Toadstool (Super Mario RPG): Block the status and wins with the shield.
Alfina (Grandia III) vs. Tengaar (Suikoden series): Stunshot -> Win?
Klein (Atelier Iris) vs. Yukiko (Persona 4): Klein has good fire durability and healing and various tricks to get her with (Living Item, and so on).

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 04:34:58 AM »
Millenia has bad HP and bad magic defence, I was just gutting a possible OHKO without checking there (and since he has a very good shot to win without a OHKO, I don't feel bad about this. Obviously could be argued).

Maybe.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 04:37:44 AM »
Aren't SMRPG boss damages very reliant upon timed hits?

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 04:43:09 AM »
Only physicals (and not even all of those). The boss stat topic marks timed-defendable moves with a star.

The first is timed blocking. In general, all physical attacks and some physical techs can be time-blocked. If you're close to the mark, you'll reduce damage by half; if you nail the timing perfectly you take 0 damage. Now, the problem is, every enemy has its own unique timing which the player has to get used to, so just taking 0 from all physicals is not a trivial matter. Anyway, I'll leave it up to the reader to decide how to deal with this. Note that any attack that can be time-blocked, I'll tag its damage with a star. This damage is the full damage. One possible interpretation would be to see timed blocking analogous to evasion, and make SMRPG blockable attacks really struggle with that in the DL. Or you could just assume damage is always halved. Or nulled, if you're mean. I dunno.

Maybe.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 04:44:56 AM »
Millenia has bad HP and bad magic defence, I was just gutting a possible OHKO without checking there (and since he has a very good shot to win without a OHKO, I don't feel bad about this. Obviously could be argued).

Millenia's HP is like 99% (Go G2 curve. Slightly worse if you factor in Mareg at 95%). G2 defensive stats are pretty paltry overall, so she's not falling to 81% magic. Yardovich OHKOing would just be with the full physical. Not like it matters (even if she gets a turn, she can SBE->try to break stats, but then she won't be healed or SBE->heal, but then he just gets a turn and the cycle repeats since she needs 4 Lightning spells at minimum to kill).
...into the nightfall.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 04:54:07 AM »
The stat topic has Ryudo/Elena/Millenia three levels above Roan/Tio which... I understand why it was done, but isn't how I would scale HP! Pretty sure Millenia/Elena have less HP than Roan or Tio at equal levels, just not sure how much. I was gutting 90%.

Maybe.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2013, 09:22:30 AM »
Divinities

Demigods

Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) vs. Jessica Albert (Dragon Quest 8)- Mirror Match!  Jowy's better at this game against PC-range durability.

Fang (Final Fantasy XIII) vs. Gades (Lufia series)- I think.
Raquel (Wild Arms 4) vs. Legretta (Tales of the Abyss)- Wasn't Legretta almost all physical?  Not a good thing.
Purim (Secret of Mana) vs. Dorothy Gale (The Wizard of Oz)- No vote.

Heroes

Lyon (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones) vs. Ashley Winchester (Wild Arms 2)- Probably
Basilio (Fire Emblem: Awakening) vs. Poo (Earthbound)- No vote.

Eruca (Radiant Historia) vs. Princess Toadstool (Super Mario RPG)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2013, 03:18:27 PM »
Question: Viola's Shield blocks 4 hits according to the stat topic. How does Ghaleon do damage to her? Isn't his physical two hits, then Hell Wave one?

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2013, 04:27:57 PM »
People scale it down due to facing lots of PCs at once. If you don't, she wins most likely.

Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2013, 06:30:02 PM »
Divinities

Ryu3 (Breath of Fire 3) vs. Belial (Wild Arms 4)- This week has already started off shittily...

Demigods

Jack van Burace (Wild Arms) vs. Wakka (Final Fantasy X) - Told ya this sucked.
Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) vs. Jessica Albert (Dragon Quest 8) - Better.

Fang (Final Fantasy XIII) vs. Gades (Lufia series) - Half Heroes, half Divinities votes, this is the way
Magus (Chrono Trigger) vs. Ryu Bateson (Breath of Fire 2)- Terrible.

Heroes

Lyon (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones) vs. Ashley Winchester (Wild Arms 2) - A more generous view of non-moving bosses than DL average.
Basilio (Fire Emblem: Awakening) vs. Poo (Earthbound)- ffffff! *hisses at EB*
Marle (Chrono Trigger) vs. Freya Crescent (Final Fantasy IX) - Freya is probably too weak for this division?

Sara (Breath of Fire)
vs. Rune Walsh (Phantasy Star IV)- Fuck fuck fuck the police
Eruca (Radiant Historia) vs. Princess Toadstool (Super Mario RPG) - See Random
Alfina (Grandia III) vs. Tengaar (Suikoden series) - More egregious lameness.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2013, 09:47:33 PM »
Not sure if Paralysis can buy Alfina a win. If she uses it 3 times in a row (aka, uses all her SP), she can then squeak out 3 Meteor Strikes...but Tengaar will block the 1st one. Not to mention that Tengaar arguably will only use quick buffs so that she breaks out of Paralysis quicker, so Alfina will probably only get 1 Meteor Strike to use all her SP basically.
...into the nightfall.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2013, 09:49:29 PM »
Paralysed people don't get to use any sort of buffs or get turns in general... are you thinking of a different game?

What SP view are you assuming?

Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2013, 10:34:53 PM »
Some random comments:

* CK, Legretta has tons of magic.  Prism Ballet is physical but if Legretta hits that limit she likely wins anyway.  Also, looking at the stat topic, 5HKO off magic is a bit low, and depending on interps it might be fair to let Legretta combo a physical -> magic, which makes the case for Legretta 2HKOing even stronger.  (I'm inclined to vote Hard mode TotA bosses as well, which makes 'em even nuttier.)  There's also doubles hype, though that slightly runs into the ARPG speed interp swamp, but Raquel is indubitably slow, so it's quite possible that if Legretta's HP is seen as good enough to require 3 attacks rather than 2 attacks, and Legretta 3HKOs + threatens doubles, Raquel will have to do something like Moonlight-> Dragon Edge -> Moonlight.

That said, eh, I suppose I'm fine with kneejerking against Legretta anyway, so vote edited.

* I don't think Magus vs. Ryu2 is quite the slaughter everyone else thinks!  I'd see boss Magus's shield as handling G. Dragon probably, although Ryu does have elemental dragons to break the shields + Guts, sure.  But yeah, boss form probably loses anyway, and PC form is an ID coinflip where tiebreaking against unreliable turn 2 status is fine by me.  (Just figured I'd play Devil's Advocate.)

* Pyro, unless you disrespect Aeons or ban them, think Zophar is still stuck with the same argument as Magus above - only 50% of the time does he land a relevant status.  Silence & Poison won't stop Yuna from summoning, only Confusion & Paralysis...  and I definitely don't let Zophar pick the status he's inflicting.  The wind attack on his magic hand - the only thing that breaks Yuna's tri-elemental absorption - is really slow, so it can't ninja Yuna before the Aeon Parade starts.  (And holistically, in-game Yuna would be pretty awesome when that hand would just heal her 3/4 of the time!).

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2013, 10:41:51 PM »
Magus' barrier doesn't stop non-elemental attacks, all he has is physical defence against those... don't see why it would stop the non-elemental, ITD G. Dragon which punches through various elemental, defensive, and type-based immunities in its own game.

Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2013, 10:43:47 PM »
Remind me again what non-elemental magic existed in CT?  IIRC the last time it came up (Retinite), there's a single Triple Tech that has it (Poyozo Dance?!) that requires Ayla, so is there anyway to check?  (Or was there some other non-elemental magic option?)

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2013, 12:08:14 AM »
Paralysed people don't get to use any sort of buffs or get turns in general... are you thinking of a different game?

What SP view are you assuming?

100 SP. Tengaar will get off 1 anti-magic spell before Paralysis (so, she's theoretically like 160 speed at the time), and Alfina needs to spam the paralysis until her SP runs out and stack it to have it last any worthwhile time. Against average speed, if she triple stacks Paralysis, then she gets basically enough time to use 3 Meteor Strikes. But Tengaar's anti-magic spell will get the first spell, and if Tengaar is seen around 160 speed from Suikoden buff speed gain, then Paralysis will only let Alfina get two spells out.
...into the nightfall.