Register

Author Topic: RPGDL 2013 Season 2, Week 1: The Light, THE LIIIIIGGGHHHTTTT  (Read 4219 times)

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
Re: RPGDL 2013 Season 2, Week 1: The Light, THE LIIIIIGGGHHHTTTT
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2013, 12:34:53 AM »
Why won't Pamela's Seal or Sleep work in her fight with WR? Both are as accurate or moreso than Slow.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2013, 12:39:04 AM »
Because you can't hit someone with a status they *immune*

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2013, 01:27:22 AM »
I forgot WR had immunities whereas a lot of Saga Frontier folks are stuck with only ID immunity.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2013, 03:30:51 AM »
Yeah, the shitty locked mystic mail is at least a mixed blessing in the DL as it blocks a few statuses Saga normally can't otherwise.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2013, 03:36:51 AM »
Yeah, my Caina vote hinges on him (a) not being 3HKOed, (b) avoiding a 4-3, and (c) one of silence or sleep landing within three tries (or possibly some combination of poison and disease to set up a kill with 4D Hypo Blast). Starting to look like I should change my vote.

I can buy one of Caina avoiding a 4-3 and not being 3HKOed, but I have a hard time buying both (Personally, I see Caina as about 70% average speed and somewhere between 1.1 and 1.2x PC HP, which um yeah, not sure why I even doubted Ray could win in my view), considering he needs both to win reliably. Tangentially! At 0.7x average speed, you start getting doubled by average running off FE6 AS numbers and 3.5 threshold. So yeah, made a mistake there.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2013, 03:47:43 AM »
Going by Meeple's numbers and my views Caina should be 1.58PCHP (and I was a few levels lower than Meeple since I'm not an OCD Lucky Card user like he is, so I'd kneejerk closer to 1.6-1.7), which is enough to avoid a 3HKO from Ray of the 51% to average. That's the one part of the equation I listed above that I'm quite confident in. The speed is more of a mystery, though, and status is a mess, and likely the real problem to me now that I realise disease doesn't really lead to much of a win, so uh Caina's banking on a 19% status chance? Yeah I should really just change my vote now.

Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2013, 05:55:28 AM »
Well, if Elf considers it close whether "Raigh" doubles or not, I suppose I should change my vote too, since I usually think that doubling formula is way too strict.  Though FE6 does have a tighter speed curve than usual for whatever reason....   checking, 3.5/19.85 = 17.6%, so Raigh doesn't have to be all that much faster than Caina to just blitz her down.  So yeah.

For Viki vs. Bard: I was all ready to change my vote there, too, but having actually tested Chain Magic and seeing that it (A) Doesn't cost an extra spell charge and (B) has a ~55% trigger rate, yeah, I think Viki wins this unless Bard sticks Confuse AND Viki teleports herself (rather than basic attacking, say) real fast.  Still an amusing match, but now Viki's pressure it outright good vs. Bard (which is kinda sad since she still won't 2HKO average even with Chain Magic kicking in once over two turns!  But that sequence probably will get Bard.).  If you don't let Viki block Confuse at all (which is fair, sure), then it's closer, of course, but I'm pretty consistent that blocking all statuses means that hypothetical S5 confuse would probably get blocked by it too.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 06:11:06 AM by SnowFire »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2013, 07:53:57 PM »
SnowFire: there's also a "LLEU" translation for Ray Raigh Rei ETHELDA Ray going around. Bottom line being: WHERE THE HELL DID YOU GUYS GET THE NAME FROM

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2013, 07:15:09 AM »
Godlike

Prototype Gear (Wild ARMs 4) vs Caineghis (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn)- Random WA4 boss just has to survive one lion maiming to win, from the topic it seems to benefit from a relative low in the damage curve and does?
Izanami (Persona 4) vs Tir McDohl (Suikoden Series)
Cidolfas Orlandu (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs False Althena (Lunar: Eternal Blue)
T260G (SaGa Frontier) vs Ameno-Sagiri (Persona 4)

Heavy

Kanon (Wild ARMs 2) vs Lashiec (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium).
Pamela Ibis (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) vs White Rose (SaGa Frontier)- Oh, silence immunity?  Well then.
Renee (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) vs Lenus (Legend of Dragoon)
Oerba dia Vanille (Final Fantasy XIII) vs Delita Hyral (Final Fantasy Tactics)

Middle

Fina (Skies of Arcadia) vs Sceptile (Pokémon)
Caina (Wild ARMs 2) vs Ray (Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword)
Albert Serdio (Legend of Dragoon) vs Natalia Luzu Kimlasca-Lanvaldear (Tales of the Abyss)
Zegai (Suikoden V) vs Lufia (Lufia and the Fortress of Doom)- No vote.

Light

Jogurt (Shining Force) vs Sheena Fujibayashi (Tales of Symphonia)- No vote.
Raticate (Pokémon) vs Zieg Feld (Legend of Dragoon)
Bard (Final Fantasy V) vs Viki (Suikoden Series)
Nanami (Suikoden II) vs Blank (Final Fantasy IX)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2013, 09:00:59 PM »
Godlike

Prototype Gear (Wild ARMs 4) vs Caineghis (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn): Been Discussed.
Izanami (Persona 4) vs Tir McDohl (Suikoden Series): I remember it being durable and not having fail damage, so...sorry Tier.
Cidolfas Orlandu (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs False Althena (Lunar: Eternal Blue): Avoids OHKO with White Robe, Night Sword vs. low HP should insure full healing.
T260G (SaGa Frontier) vs Ameno-Sagiri (Persona 4): Trash-can no like gravity.

Heavy

Kanon (Wild ARMs 2) vs Lashiec (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium): I'll explain later below, but Kanon doesn't beat durable bosses.
Pamela  Ibis (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) vs White Rose (SaGa Frontier): Yep.
Renee (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) vs Lenus (Legend of Dragoon): SLug fests.
Oerba dia Vanille (Final Fantasy XIII) vs Delita Hyral (Final Fantasy Tactics): YEp.

Middle

Fina (Skies of Arcadia) vs Sceptile (Pokémon): Should kill before Fina gets anything notable off.
Caina (Wild ARMs 2) vs Ray (Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword): Looks like Ray squeezes a win.
Albert Serdio (Legend of Dragoon) vs Natalia Luzu Kimlasca-Lanvaldear (Tales of the Abyss): Think she can outlast this.
Zegai (Suikoden V) vs Lufia (Lufia and the Fortress of Doom): lack  of speed kills him.

Light

Jogurt (Shining Force) vs Sheena Fujibayashi (Tales of Symphonia): ...it's Jogurt...
Raticate (Pokémon) vs Zieg Feld (Legend of Dragoon): Raticate didn't totally fail at everything the way Zieg does.
Bard (Final Fantasy V) vs Viki (Suikoden Series): EDIT: Forgot Viki4 does have instant death, but not sure I vote on that; she has multiple forms that all work the same way, and one which is cleanly better...feels wrong voting for that one, for me, so yeah, sticking with Bard.
Nanami (Suikoden II) vs Blank (Final Fantasy IX): in the end, Nanami is faster and screw it, I'm going with that because seriously.

I don't vote on Boss Kanon for simple reason: She spends notably more of the game as a PC, and is fully memorable as a PC.  Furthermore, Boss Magus has a legitimate Plot Reason for being stronger than PC Magus that being he got outright drained by Lavos.  Also, and this is kind of significant, PC Kanon is not an optional split path PC, Magus is.  Seriously, the two are not as 100% similar as you guys are making them out to be.

Also, where is this "heavily implied she's overclocked her boss parts" thing?  Watched the scene after her 3rd fight, it just says she was relying on the Sword Magess blood, thinking it was going to work, and lost.  Nothing in the way it's worded do I see can be twisted to mean "maybe they meant this."  Also worth noting that unlike Kanon, Magus has a 2nd Boss fight where he actually can only use the 3 Level 2's and his physical, thereby consistent with the power drain.  Kanon...might use a few moves in boss form she can't use as a PC initially?  Seriously can't remember details there.

Though, even if we assume the "overclocked" argument, doesn't that imply it's an exceptional circumstance that she can get this strong?  Because where does the game imply that either she's still not doing this, or perhaps later on she starts doing it again now knowing how to control it better?
It'd be like allowing FF9 characters Trances because of Heightened Emotions plot consistently whenever they fight specific foes. 

Also, I highly disagree to "Kanon is more memorable as a boss."  She's only memorable as a boss because she doesn't fail in game like all the others, but she's more memorable as a PC due to being game best speed with attacks strong enough to OHKO randoms and does good damage vs. Bosses.  I can't even tell you where 2 of her Boss fights are, and I played the game twice (I remember Emulator Zone at least because it's kind of a surreal dungeon like that.)  In fact, when she first joins, you don't even have Brad, so she's one of your main damage dealers for a while.
Granted, this is all arguable, but in the end, "more memorable" is a subjective argument, and one that doesn't go very far in either direction.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 04:40:08 PM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2013, 11:07:24 PM »
Godlike

Prototype Gear (Wild ARMs 4) vs Caineghis (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) - Don't remember prototype gear.
Izanami (Persona 4) vs Tir McDohl (Suikoden Series) - Noooot sure how I feel about izanami in the DL. May just abstain on her.
Cidolfas Orlandu (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs False Althena (Lunar: Eternal Blue) - No Lunar2
T260G (SaGa Frontier) vs Ameno-Sagiri (Persona 4) - God's Judgement can put a serious dent in T2's plans, and I see P4 bosses as more durable then most, so.

Heavy

Kanon (Wild ARMs 2) vs Lashiec (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium). - Kanon is faster and more damaging, definitely. Just, uh, the durability gap is a thing, and Lashiec's damage is more then up to dealing with Kanon.
Pamela Ibis (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) vs White Rose (SaGa Frontier) - WR immunes her tricks, eh? Well, that's that.
Renee (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) vs Lenus (Legend of Dragoon) - Better slugfester.

Middle

Fina (Skies of Arcadia) vs Sceptile (Pokémon) - Speed difference does it's job.
Caina (Wild ARMs 2) vs Ray (Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword) - Nos slugging is a thing.
Albert Serdio (Legend of Dragoon) vs Natalia Luzu Kimlasca-Lanvaldear (Tales of the Abyss) - Go away Natalia.
Zegai (Suikoden V) vs Lufia (Lufia and the Fortress of Doom) - He misses the OHKO? Really? Doesn't really matter, p.sure winner bites it to Natalia next time regardless.

Light

Jogurt (Shining Force) vs Sheena Fujibayashi (Tales of Symphonia) - Challenges Jogurt to a children's card game.
Raticate (Pokémon) vs Zieg Feld (Legend of Dragoon) - Is Raticate the best duelist in this field? Well, Viki4, I guess? If I'm remembering things right anyway. Still, the fact that I even consider this question is...yeah...
Bard (Final Fantasy V) vs Viki (Suikoden Series) - Doesn't Viki4 have blinking that actually functions as ID? You still get the exp/potch/etc from the fight? Just going to go with that, can't be assed to look it up.
Nanami (Suikoden II) vs Blank (Final Fantasy IX) - Wins by virtue of going first, I guess.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2013, 03:21:46 PM »
Godlike

Prototype Gear (Wild ARMs 4) vs Caineghis (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn): ID
Izanami (Persona 4) vs Tir McDohl (Suikoden Series): Overkill.
Cidolfas Orlandu (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs False Althena (Lunar: Eternal Blue): Draining.
T260G (SaGa Frontier) vs Ameno-Sagiri (Persona 4): Gravity.

Heavy

Kanon (Wild ARMs 2) vs Lashiec (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium): Durability.
Pamela Ibis (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) vs White Rose (SaGa Frontier): Immunities.
Renee (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) vs Lenus (Legend of Dragoon): Damage.
Oerba dia Vanille (Final Fantasy XIII) vs Delita Hyral (Final Fantasy Tactics): Pain.

Middle

Fina (Skies of Arcadia) vs Sceptile (Pokémon): Speed.
Albert Serdio (Legend of Dragoon) vs Natalia Luzu Kimlasca-Lanvaldear (Tales of the Abyss): Healing.
Zegai (Suikoden V) vs Lufia (Lufia and the Fortress of Doom): Resistance.

Light

Jogurt (Shining Force) vs Sheena Fujibayashi (Tales of Symphonia): Jogurt.
Raticate (Pokémon) vs Zieg Feld (Legend of Dragoon): Zieg.
Bard (Final Fantasy V) vs Viki (Suikoden Series): Chain-Magic.
Nanami (Suikoden II) vs Blank (Final Fantasy IX): Speed.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2013, 11:16:12 PM »
Godlike

Prototype Gear (Wild ARMs 4) vs Caineghis (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn)

Heavy

Pamela Ibis (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) vs White Rose (SaGa Frontier)

Middle

Albert Serdio (Legend of Dragoon) vs Natalia Luzu Kimlasca-Lanvaldear (Tales of the Abyss)
Zegai (Suikoden V) vs Lufia (Lufia and the Fortress of Doom)

Light

Jogurt (Shining Force) vs Sheena Fujibayashi (Tales of Symphonia)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2013, 11:17:11 PM »
T260G (SaGa Frontier) vs Ameno-Sagiri (Persona 4) - God's Judgement can put a serious dent in T2's plans, and I see P4 bosses as more durable then most, so.

Isn't God's Judgment a limit, though?

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2013, 12:20:29 AM »
Not according to the stat thread.

Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2013, 02:45:16 AM »
Huh, I'm swapping my vote then. The gravity move -does- screw up T2 pretty bad. EDIT2: Yeah, the limit one is Galgalim Eye.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 02:47:15 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

MalcolmMasher

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2013, 04:08:56 AM »
Godlike

Prototype Gear (Wild ARMs 4) vs Caineghis (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) - I can buy the ID.

Heavy

Kanon (Wild ARMs 2) vs Lashiec (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium). - Significant durability lead, can't be double-turned (both act once per round.)

Middle

Light

Bard (Final Fantasy V) vs Viki (Suikoden Series) - S4 Blinking Rune is equivalent to instant death.

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2013, 06:20:48 AM »
Godlike

Prototype Gear (Wild ARMs 4) vs Caineghis (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn)- Random WA4 boss just has to survive one lion maiming to win, from the topic it seems to benefit from a relative low in the damage curve and does?

Heavy

Pamela Ibis (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) vs White Rose (SaGa Frontier)- Oh, silence immunity?  Well then.

Middle

Zegai (Suikoden V) vs Lufia (Lufia and the Fortress of Doom)- No vote.

Light

Jogurt (Shining Force) vs Sheena Fujibayashi (Tales of Symphonia)- No vote.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2013, 09:09:17 AM »
Godlike

Prototype Gear (Wild ARMs 4) vs Caineghis (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn)

Heavy

Pamela Ibis (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) vs White Rose (SaGa Frontier)

Middle

Zegai (Suikoden V) vs Lufia (Lufia and the Fortress of Doom)

Light

Jogurt (Shining Force) vs Sheena Fujibayashi (Tales of Symphonia)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2013, 09:44:53 AM »
Godlike

Prototype Gear (Wild ARMs 4)- iiiiiiiiii vs Caineghis (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn)- i
Izanami (Persona 4)- iiiiiiiiii vs Tir McDohl (Suikoden Series)
Cidolfas Orlandu (Final Fantasy Tactics)- iiiiiiiiiiiii vs False Althena (Lunar: Eternal Blue)
T260G (SaGa Frontier)- ii vs Ameno-Sagiri (Persona 4)- iiiiiiii

Heavy

Kanon (Wild ARMs 2)- iii vs Lashiec (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium)- iiiiiiiiiiii
Pamela Ibis (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis)- ii vs White Rose (SaGa Frontier)- iiiiiiiii
Renee (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis)- i vs Lenus (Legend of Dragoon)- iiiiiiiiii
Oerba dia Vanille (Final Fantasy XIII)- iiiiiiiiiiii vs Delita Hyral (Final Fantasy Tactics)

Middle

Fina (Skies of Arcadia)- iii vs Sceptile (Pokémon)- iiiiiiii
Caina (Wild ARMs 2) vs Ray (Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword)- iiiiiiiiii
Albert Serdio (Legend of Dragoon) vs Natalia Luzu Kimlasca-Lanvaldear (Tales of the Abyss)- iiiiiiiiiii
Zegai (Suikoden V)- iiiiii vs Lufia (Lufia and the Fortress of Doom)- iii

Light

Jogurt (Shining Force) vs Sheena Fujibayashi (Tales of Symphonia)- iiiiiiiii
Raticate (Pokémon)- iiiiiiiiiiiii vs Zieg Feld (Legend of Dragoon)
Bard (Final Fantasy V)- iiii vs Viki (Suikoden Series)- iiiiiii
Nanami (Suikoden II)- iiiiiiiiiiii vs Blank (Final Fantasy IX)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.