Register

Author Topic: RPGDL 2013 Season 2, Week 3: Everyone's from the same four games edition  (Read 3400 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Godlike

Prototype Gear (Wild ARMs 4) vs Izanami (Persona 4)
Cidolfas Orlandu (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Ameno-Sagiri (Persona 4)
Shania (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Ashera (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn)
Culex (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Kefka (Final Fantasy VI)

Heavy

Lashiec (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium) vs White Rose (SaGa Frontier)
Lenus (Legend of Dragoon) vs Oerba dia Vanille (Final Fantasy XIII)
Cait Sith (Final Fantasy VII) vs Nel Zelpher (Star Ocean: Till the End of Time)
Vyse (Skies of Arcadia) vs Hiro (Lunar: Eternal Blue)

Middle

Sceptile (Pokémon) vs Ray (Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword)
Natalia Luzu Kimlasca-Lanvaldear (Tales of the Abyss) vs Zegai (Suikoden V)
Stocke (Radiant Historia) vs Raine Sage (Tales of Symphonia)
Dekar (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Guy (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword)

Light

Sheena Fujibayashi (Tales of Symphonia) vs Raticate (Pokémon)
Viki (Suikoden Series) vs Nanami (Suikoden II)
Mallow (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Kiwi (Shining Force II)
Vitali (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Cathedral (Xenosaga: Jenseits von Gut und Bose)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Godlike

Prototype Gear (Wild ARMs 4) vs Izanami (Persona 4)- Izanami is Bluelike.
Cidolfas Orlandu (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Ameno-Sagiri (Persona 4)- Invinciblity phase.
Culex (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Kefka (Final Fantasy VI)- Better durability. Culex hit like a freaking tank as well.

Heavy

Lenus (Legend of Dragoon) vs Oerba dia Vanille (Final Fantasy XIII)- Lenus 2.
Cait Sith (Final Fantasy VII) vs Nel Zelpher (Star Ocean: Till the End of Time)- E: see below.
Vyse (Skies of Arcadia) vs Hiro (Lunar: Eternal Blue)-Vyse kills with a physical/Cutlass Fury and ID won't tip it. Vyse is faster as well, which seals things.

Middle

Dekar (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Guy (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword)- Dekar's got an argument of some type, but kneejerking that the fight plays to Guy's strengths.

Light

Mallow (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars)
vs Kiwi (Shining Force II)
Vitali (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Cathedral (Xenosaga: Jenseits von Gut und Bose)- Not inclined to respect Cathedral ID.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 06:30:28 AM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
Godlike

Shania (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Ashera (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn): Kneejerk is this is straightforward? Shania buffs then takes out the auras, healing when needed. (The auras which aren't magic resistant can be MT KOed which speeds things along.) I guess she might run out of MP if you assume Ashera has none to drain, which I... probably do, but eh.
Culex (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Kefka (Final Fantasy VI): If Culex survives until his second turn he wins for sure, Dark Star + a bunch of crystal stuff is too much. Not sure if he does or not.

Heavy

Lashiec (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium) vs White Rose (SaGa Frontier): Overwhelms the healing.
Lenus (Legend of Dragoon) vs Oerba dia Vanille (Final Fantasy XIII): Lenus has OHKO damage, Vanille has no way to buff to stop that. I -guess- she could turtle the high-HP form though, then summon? EDIT: See coments on page 2. Summon triggers a counter and limit mode, so that avenue is out.
Cait Sith (Final Fantasy VII) vs Nel Zelpher (Star Ocean: Till the End of Time): Don't think Nel's freeze was turn 1.

Middle

Sceptile (Pokémon) vs Ray (Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword): Ray's more of a heavy. Sceptile is all about speed and draining but that triggers counters... and draining.
Natalia Luzu Kimlasca-Lanvaldear (Tales of the Abyss) vs Zegai (Suikoden V): Zegai in Middle is a bad joke.
Dekar (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Guy (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword): Evasion, criticals, counters, all of it is stuff Dekar runs into.

Light

Viki (Suikoden Series) vs Nanami (Suikoden II): Faster. Better damage as well.
Mallow (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Kiwi (Shining Force II): Has magic damage.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 08:44:25 PM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Godlike

Shania (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Ashera (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) - Kneejerk.
Culex (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Kefka (Final Fantasy VI) - oh never mind, crystals die once Culex carks it, OHKO is go.
Heavy

Middle

Sceptile (Pokémon) vs Ray (Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword) - Yep.
Stocke (Radiant Historia) vs Raine Sage (Tales of Symphonia) - Raine struggles to break Stocke's healing even before one considers Holy Lance charge times, and he has more shots of healing than she does of anything resembling damage.  Meanwhile Stocke can just calmly build up to loldeadfencerohko at absolute worst. 
Dekar (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Guy (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) - Gut.  Guy probably ends up letting Dekar get something off, but evasion/crits/counters is just too strong a kneejerk here.

Light

Sheena Fujibayashi (Tales of Symphonia) vs Raticate (Pokémon) - Sheena is awful.
Mallow (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Kiwi (Shining Force II) - Magic.
Vitali (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Cathedral (Xenosaga: Jenseits von Gut und Bose) - y'all still can have fun with this
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 09:44:07 PM by Random Consonant »

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Godlike

Cidolfas Orlandu (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Ameno-Sagiri (Persona 4) - Think he can manage this, yeah.
Shania (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Ashera (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn)

Heavy

Lashiec (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium) vs White Rose (SaGa Frontier) - Just too much damage and durability.
Cait Sith (Final Fantasy VII) vs Nel Zelpher (Star Ocean: Till the End of Time) - And then Nel was a toad.

Middle

Sceptile (Pokémon) vs Ray (Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword) - Counters are a great way to deal with high speed chars.
Natalia Luzu Kimlasca-Lanvaldear (Tales of the Abyss) vs Zegai (Suikoden V) - :zegai:
Stocke (Radiant Historia) vs Raine Sage (Tales of Symphonia) - Yeah, this is a terrible matchup.
Dekar (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Guy (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) - Exchanging physicals with Guy is not a winning strategy.

Light

Sheena Fujibayashi (Tales of Symphonia) vs Raticate (Pokémon) - om nom nom delicious ninja
Viki (Suikoden Series) vs Nanami (Suikoden II) - S4 blinking ID is turn 1. Don't think Nanami OHKOs?
Mallow (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Kiwi (Shining Force II) - One sided.
Vitali (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Cathedral (Xenosaga: Jenseits von Gut und Bose)
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Prototype Gear (Wild ARMs 4) vs Izanami (Persona 4) - Prototype Gear durability against that HP buffer phase. lol
Cidolfas Orlandu (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Ameno-Sagiri (Persona 4) - Cid's hope here is chipping into a double-turn kill, since he even might 2HKO at base... but he can't chip-2HKO even -before- Tarunda, I think, let alone after, and with Cid's shaky mdef, it's entirely possible Nebula Oculus x2 alone kills him without some durability twinking, which puts a further damper on the offense (Cid NEEDS the Thief Hat, otherwise he may not even 4-3 and he can't afford to spend turns without Night Swording if he doesn't double). Aegis Shield doesn't do anything to Tarunda and that means Cid WILL ram into Bewildering Fog range, at which point he just up and dies - and the accuracy buff also mocks that. Given the way I view P4 boss initiative, the 3-2 doesn't even happen (I consider the turns to go as a weird FFX initiative pocket in which the boss always goes last and the clockticks begin from there) and Cidolfas explodes.
Culex (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Kefka Palazzo (Final Fantasy VI) - Culex is about 1.9x PC HP to me. That doesn't survive a Havoc Wing, and I think I see Kefka at least outpacing most of the crystals. Otherwise, Culex can't OHKO him either without the crystals. EDIT: For clarification, I don't allow the crystals to win the fight for Culex if he is killed.

Lashiec (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium) vs White Rose (SaGa Frontier) - Overwhelms, yeah.
Lenus (Legend of Dragoon) vs Oerba dia Vanille (Final Fantasy XIII) - It's a good question whether even summonstalling gets past the nasty limits, and I think Vanille just sorta explodes (I -think- hitting Lenus with magical damage also triggered the doubleacting early?) if she ever goes on offense without a summon. This is weird.
Cait Sith (Final Fantasy VII) vs Nel Zelpher (Star Ocean: Till the End of Time) - Froggy ninja girls.

Sceptile (Pokémon) vs Ray (Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword) - Ray 2HKOs, counters AND drains with that 2HKO. Holy crap Sceptile needs a OHKO and that ain't happening with Ray mdur. Scepty's doubling is also entirely irrelevant with counters in play.
Natalia Luzu Kimlasca-Lanvaldear (Tales of the Abyss) vs Zegai (Suikoden V) - Worthless.
Dekar (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Guy (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) - Pressures. Dekar can't avoid counters either.

Viki (Suikoden Series) vs Nanami (Suikoden II) - Viki4. Blah.
Mallow (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Kiwi (Shining Force II) - Even if Mallow had no magic, this would be one-sided. Kiwi isn't about pressure.
Vitali (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Cathedral (Xenosaga: Jenseits von Gut und Bose) - Oh wow, this is AMAZING. So, Vitali has a type advantage, raising his damage against Cathedral considerably. Not factoring in generics, Vitali's about 0.81 mdur (lower is better) at base, which reduces, BEFORE type matches, Cathedral's damage from 16HKO to 20HKO. And the buffing/parasitic healing buffing reduces this further to a 30HKO, even though the buffs -do- deteriorate. After matches? It's probably like a 50HKO before any buffing applies. Yeah, no, Cathedral's best bet is spamming the inaccurate 10% mHP poison and trying to make Vitali waste turns with the Doom move, but that alone gives him so much time and L-Poison runs out in five turns at most. This is less close than I thought, and if you're even remotely more generous to SN than I am (factor in generics, allow status immunity décors), this fight is a borderline slaughter. Cathedral, you -suck-.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 08:37:02 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
EDIT: For clarification, I don't allow the crystals to win the fight for Culex if he is killed.

This is completely fair, as the crystal's first action (if they're still up once Culex is killed) is to immediately die.  That said...

Godlike

Culex (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Kefka (Final Fantasy VI)  - I don't see Kefka as QUITE as damaging as to OHKO Culex, so.

Middle

Natalia Luzu Kimlasca-Lanvaldear (Tales of the Abyss) vs Zegai (Suikoden V) - I could vote on this, but I hate thinking about ARPG mechanics in the DL.

Light

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
Godlike

Prototype Gear (Wild ARMs 4) vs Izanami (Persona 4): Invulnerability phase.
Cidolfas Orlandu (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Ameno-Sagiri (Persona 4): Second verse...
Shania (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Ashera (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn): I take Ashera's not-half-bad double-rate into her damage. [Conversely double-rates reduce her durability but the Auras mostly make that a moot point?]
Culex (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Kefka (Final Fantasy VI): I think Culex is more durable overall? Don't care much about Kefka speed.

Heavy

Lenus (Legend of Dragoon) vs Oerba dia Vanille (Final Fantasy XIII): Turtle-summon may work? Uh... does that grant her victory for sure even?
Cait Sith (Final Fantasy VII) vs Nel Zelpher (Star Ocean: Till the End of Time): Speed tiebreak?
Vyse (Skies of Arcadia) vs Hiro (Lunar: Eternal Blue): I'm not really sure here. Depends who is faster.

Middle

Sceptile (Pokémon) vs Ray (Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword)
Stocke (Radiant Historia) vs Raine Sage (Tales of Symphonia): I think.
Dekar (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Guy (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword): Damage should be good enough. Too bad Dekar couldn't use lances.

Light

Mallow (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Kiwi (Shining Force II): Kiwi's physical is surprisingly decent, and he goes first. They both 2HKO but Mallow is heal-locked.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 12:45:35 AM by Pyro »

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
For reference, I have Kiwi's damage at 32 to a 73.5 Killpoint.

Mallow's HP is 183 to 195 average and his defense is below-average.

So Kiwi does score a 2HKO here. Mallow is below-average speed so probably goes last and loses.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Mallow's def is a mere 3.6 points below average, which translates into taking 4.6% extra from physicals... toss in the HP and that's 90% pdur overall. By your own numbers, that misses the 2HKO. I probably see Kiwi's damage a bit below where the stat topic does, to boot... him being above average (even if only slightly) doesn't fit with my experiences.

Maybe.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
Re: RPGDL 2013 Season 2, Week 3: Everyone's from the same four games edition
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 12:49:33 AM »
ShF2 is a game where it is very easy to have variable levels depending on HOW you use PCs. I assumed for that topic that PCs went for offense evenly (with a boon to healers for having additional sources of exp and a smaller boon to monsters for not being forced to promote early to keep up with weapons and hence missing out on some exp). The variance in levels is another reason Peter is generally badass in-game. Flight and awesome stats let him get in-on the action sooner then everyone else and be more likely to KO for more experience. If you don't feed him kills he ends up like the stat topic Peter and not the crazy badass he is for most folk who use him.

And I mistyped it, Kiwi's damage is 36, to a 73.5 kill point. Was thinking "36, which doubled is 72/73.5 which is enough to KO Mallow. Bastardized it and put down 32.

So it's a pretty solid 2HKO on Mallow, and I doubt even removing the 2 prepromo levels has much effect to bring it down to a 3HKO.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 12:54:03 AM by Pyro »

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 12:54:22 AM »

Dekar (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Guy (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword): Damage should be good enough. Too bad Dekar couldn't use lances.

Doubt it would help, SM evade is good and Lances not from the DD are an unimpressive opinion in Lufia 2.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 12:54:58 AM »
I didn't remember Lufia 2 HAVING lances.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 01:02:55 AM »
ShF2 is a game where it is very easy to have variable levels depending on HOW you use PCs. I assumed for that topic that PCs went for offense evenly (with a boon to healers for having additional sources of exp and a smaller boon to monsters for not being forced to promote early to keep up with weapons and hence missing out on some exp). The variance in levels is another reason Peter is generally badass in-game. Flight and awesome stats let him get in-on the action sooner then everyone else and be more likely to KO for more experience. If you don't feed him kills he ends up like the stat topic Peter and not the crazy badass he is for most folk who use him.

And I mistyped it, Kiwi's damage is 36, to a 73.5 kill point. Was thinking "36, which doubled is 72/73.5 which is enough to KO Mallow. Bastardized it and put down 32.

So it's a pretty solid 2HKO on Mallow, and I doubt even removing the 2 prepromo levels has much effect to bring it down to a 3HKO.

Yeah I am sooo not buying Kiwi having borderline 2HKO damage. And for what it's worth, given that he's not 2HKOing Mallow by much (even losing 3 damage from your figures would call it into question), I do think removing any extra levels would be pretty bad news for Kiwi here.

Maybe.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 01:18:16 AM »
So you take Kiwi with lower levels than everyone else based on your playthrough? That's fair, but just want to be clear that's what is happening.

And if you remove the monster 2 prepromo levels and healer levels the averages fall too.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 01:21:06 AM »
I'll insert generic *torching* to the idea of Kefka OHKOing Culex here.

Also: they were mid to lategame weapons in the normal game, most of them sucked. The good ones in game were ancient cave only, and Dekar can't use those. (Fatal Pick, Water Spear, Dragon Spear)
-------------------

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 01:49:51 AM »
*shrug* I only allow people to benefit from back row against FF6 bosses if they can benefit from a row mechanic of their own volition ingame, seems more honest than handing out resistances carte blanche on the sole basis of who a person fights and ignoring whether or not they can, you know, *actually access them*.  Sucks to the be the people who can't do it but so it goes.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 02:31:21 AM »
It's more about what Kefka faces in game, where there is almost no reason to actually use front row.
-------------------

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 02:47:42 AM »
Yeah whether or not resist options are no-brainers doesn't really matter here as far as I'm concerned, they're not stats and neither is this, so I am not terribly sympathetic towards that line of reasoning.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 03:52:20 AM by Random Consonant »

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 03:37:09 AM »
Godlike

Heavy

Middle
Dekar (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Guy (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword)

Light
Mallow (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Kiwi (Shining Force II)

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2013, 04:41:25 AM »
Godlike

Shania (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Ashera (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn)- Yeah, the buffing probably works pretty well here

Heavy

Lenus (Legend of Dragoon) vs Oerba dia Vanille (Final Fantasy XIII)- Well...I'll say that Summon would be like Dragoon transformation in that it would activate Lenus' magic. And...wouldn't she then, kill Vanille, then the Summon Arises Vanille and leaves, basically leaving the match in the same place but stalled endlessly? I think...
Cait Sith (Final Fantasy VII) vs Nel Zelpher (Star Ocean: Till the End of Time)- Berserk Ice Daggers=Turn 1 Freeze. Pyro, why would she need a speed tiebreak against someone slow?
Vyse (Skies of Arcadia) vs Hiro (Lunar: Eternal Blue)- Faster

Middle

Stocke (Radiant Historia) vs Raine Sage (Tales of Symphonia)- So...um....god, this is a slapfight. Stocke's healing does miraculously basically equal Holy Lance though for all that Stocke's damage is basically halved by her equips. I guess Mana Breaks might actually be a thing here though (MP is pretty even overall I guess, but her healing goes further). BUT I THINK WITHOUT MANA BREAKS SHE WINS (Since uh...First Aid and Photon have the same costs as Stocke's pretty equivalent moves and she has double the MP).
Dekar (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Guy (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword)- Awesome evade

Light

Sheena Fujibayashi (Tales of Symphonia) vs Raticate (Pokémon)- I dunno, auto-voting Raticate because Sheena sucks. I mean...yes, but they both 3HKO...and if ToS enemy defense is decent then Power Seal Absolute might knock that into a 2HKO (or the Accuracy one could be a big enough drop to arguably buy her a win that now). Or she could be seen as faster. Not that I necessarily see any of these as true, but they are all in the realm of possibility (not knowing exact ToS numbers).
Mallow (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Kiwi (Shining Force II)- Well, even with the original numbers, Kiwi is at average. So...it may come down to overlevelled spells! Don't really remember SF 2 enough to say, but of course, there are also doubles and crits which could boost the average up (or alternately, could be some natural missing on average in SF 2, so that at one point a Kiwi attack may miss. Granted, Mallow's magic is expensive, so I suspect that would not help enough unless you gave Mallow 99 FP). So gut...is that...there are a few people with above 20% combined crit/double rate, which probably pushes the average up enough for Mallow. Tiebreaking also for not being horrible in game (not like it normally matters, but since things are so random here and can go either way).
...into the nightfall.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 05:02:34 AM »
For Cathedral vs. Vitali: No SN, but seeing all the Vitali votes...  Usual reminder that the way to cheese Cathedral's ID is via party-switching, and that is an option that explicitly doesn't exist in the DL (unless you're Tal?!).  I'm still fine with holistic disrespect, of course, and even endorse it, but that applies to a LOT of boss moves - Cathedral's ID is still better in-game than, say, Cloud of Darkness's Bad Breath, where you are basically guaranteed to have 4 Ribbons and for it to do absolutely nothing rather than even force a switch, and most people let CoD spam BB, for example.  (Or how 4D Pocket is powerful in-game and good, but not instant win-the-fight.)

Okay, so fine, no ID interp.  Even if Cathedral is bad at slugging down Vitali, everyone seems to be going with Snow's antihyping of Poizn.   Remember that if you inflict the same L-status effect twice, it goes to an H level effect (at a percentage rate?  I forget, but if so, the "upgrade" rate was good I want to say, like 60%+.)  H-Poison is BRUTAL.  It is 25% HP loss per turn and shouldn't be affected by match-ups or anything.  So even if POIZN is literally Cathedral's only damage source, he merely has to stick H-Poison and then win in 4 turns, maybe less.  This means that Vitali needs to at least 8HKO the insanely tanky Cathedral, and possibly more like 7HKO or 6HKO if there are speed issues.  Since Snow seemed to hype the relevance of Cathedral's claimed 30+HKO, that seems unlikely.

For turtle-summon: If Vanille is seen as getting away with this, then she probably just OHKOs a scaled Lenus.  She doesn't screw around with doing damage with the summon out, she just goes straight for the ult, which should be considerably more than an attack chain.

I'll buy the hype, sure.

Heavy

I'll be honest: This is a pretty holistic vote myself.  I think the turtle-summon strategy DOES take it on a stricter view, but I'm pretty happy to take any excuse to vote against it, and lots of actual FF13 bosses have time-based AI that can screw over such a turtley strategy (see Elf's Bart 2 notes), so I'm willing to squint a bit and assume that Lenus-the-FF13-boss would have "changes AI if Staggered or if 3 minutes pass" as the equivalent to "changes AI if someone dragoon transforms."  It's not THAT different from figuring out what's a transform anyway in the DL.
Freeze.  (I believe FF7 Freeze inflicted Stop, and checking, FF7 apparently doesn't block that.)  Also I thought Ice Needles was turn 1?  Cetainly if you use comboy averages where Nel gets to do the move repeatedly.
That physical spoiling.

Middle

Stocke (Radiant Historia) vs Raine Sage (Tales of Symphonia)
Historica Power Waves.

Light

What exactly is Nanami's damage?  I can't tell from the stat topic, which doens't seem to list a physical damage for Nanami.  Maybe I'm just blind.
EDIT: Sure, faster 3HKO wins this.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 05:06:50 PM by SnowFire »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 05:18:58 AM »
It doesn't because Nanami's crit rate wasn't tested due to being a temp. So uh who knows. From casual experience she has one of the better S2 crit rates... if we assume she's the same as Riou, she'll have 416 average damage which is a low, low 3HKO.

Maybe.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 06:28:09 AM »
Switched to Nel>Cait. Undersold her speed and forgot Cait was a little sluggish.  Even if I disallow berserk, Nel still has a reasonable chance to inflict freeze first.
-------------------

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 10:56:15 AM »
Godlike

Prototype Gear (Wild ARMs 4) vs Izanami (Persona 4) - HP buffering.  It is a thing.
Cidolfas Orlandu (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Ameno-Sagiri (Persona 4) - Pretty sure Cid gets OHKO'd by one of those phases.

Heavy

Lashiec (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium) vs White Rose (SaGa Frontier) - Limited-resource blocking and healing, meet unlimited resource damage.
Cait Sith (Final Fantasy VII) vs Nel Zelpher (Star Ocean: Till the End of Time) - Kneejerking freeze here.

Middle

Dekar (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Guy (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) - Dekar's largely dependent on evadable physicals.  I'd have to check Guy's evasion again, but it'll be an uphill fight at the very least.

Light

Mallow (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Kiwi (Shining Force II) - Mallow.  I...have next to no Kiwi respect.
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.