Author Topic: RPGDL 2013 Season 2, Week 4: Bad News and Weeeiiird News  (Read 3084 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
RPGDL 2013 Season 2, Week 4: Bad News and Weeeiiird News
« on: August 19, 2013, 10:39:04 PM »
Now's a great time to let me know if you've played any not-quite-ranked games since last season! 

Godlike

Izanami (Persona 4) vs Ameno-Sagiri (Persona 4)
Shania (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Culex (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars)

Heavy

Lashiec (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium) vs Lenus (Legend of Dragoon)
Nel Zelpher (Star Ocean: Till the End of Time) vs Vyse (Skies of Arcadia)

Middle

Ray (Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword) vs Natalia Luzu Kimlasca-Lanvaldear (Tales of the Abyss)
Stocke (Radiant Historia) vs Guy (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword)

Light

Raticate (Pokémon) vs Viki (Suikoden Series)
Mallow (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Vitali (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters)

Additionally, you may suggest 1 game to put up for data gathering in next week's finals.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: RPGDL 2013 Season 2, Week 4: Bad News and Weeeiiird News
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 10:52:23 PM »
Godlike

Shania (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Culex (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) - stripmonixer nonsense isn't good enough for this

Heavy

Lashiec (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium) vs Lenus (Legend of Dragoon) - Durability difference.  edit: or not, get some fucking dark res, Lashiec.

Middle

Stocke (Radiant Historia) vs Guy (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) - evade

Light

Raticate (Pokémon) vs Viki (Suikoden Series) - one of the not good forms of Viki
Mallow (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Vitali (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) - physicals
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 12:37:02 AM by Random Consonant »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 11:08:48 PM »
Unless Counterstance also provided status immunity, which I doubt.

Middle

Ray (Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword) vs Natalia Luzu Kimlasca-Lanvaldear (Tales of the Abyss)
Pretty sure Natalia will overlimit before her TP runs out.  Not particularly inclined to allow Noble Roar (although it's a point in her favor), and combo->Astral Rain is like barely, barely a OHKO (and possibly isn't), but since being in Overlimit gives a weak damage boost I believe on the combo damage, that makes me inclined to tiebreak for Natalia.  If Ray's critical rate is better than I think it is, this might change, but eh.
Stocke doesn't trigger counters, and Guy struggles against Stocke's defense, but I'm not sure Stocke kills fast enough anyway.  He's got like a 2HKO here which is really a 4HKO due to evade, and Guy might well 3HKO Stocke anyway.  EDIT: Sure I'll buy the Guy 3HKO.

More waiting on the analysis on how bad the rat is.  Edit: So according to Elf, this is last week's match redux, faster 3HKOer wins vs. Viki5 the slightly slow, sure.  Especially since Normal typing means that no S5 elemental spoiling enters the picture.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 01:45:08 AM by SnowFire »

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 11:29:33 PM »
Godlike

Shania (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Culex (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars)

Heavy

Lashiec (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium) vs Lenus (Legend of Dragoon) - Yeah, p.sure the durability difference tilts this. i could be argued though. EDIT: I always forget Lenus's MDef being great, since I barely ever use magic in LoD. Additions all day every day~ But yeah, that changes things.
Nel Zelpher (Star Ocean: Till the End of Time) vs Vyse (Skies of Arcadia) - Don't think he can stop freeze.

Middle

Ray (Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword) vs Natalia Luzu Kimlasca-Lanvaldear (Tales of the Abyss) - Kneejerk.
Stocke (Radiant Historia) vs Guy (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) - Hmm. Evade is a thing here, as is the threat of just ending it with a crit. Think there's enough in Guy's favor here to hand him the vote.

Light

Raticate (Pokémon) vs Viki (Suikoden Series) - S4 voting, etc.
Mallow (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Vitali (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 07:02:09 PM by Gatewalker »
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 12:18:29 AM »
Godlike

Shania (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Culex (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars): Um. Well Shania needs to (a) kill the wind crystal on her first turn, and (b) survive from there. Dream Porter actually makes this a possibility though. Wind Crystal has about 62% magic durability by my reckoning, which survives Sun Flare at base... but not after Sanlittobell, so obviously Shania uses that + Sun Flare. Kaboom. Sun Flare's got a big AoE (you can usually catch most enemies in a fight with it) so I'd be fine with it hitting one crystal and any crystals adjacent to it. So she can hit earth, wind, and ice all at once. However, it doesn't look like ice or earth are fragile enough to be OHKOed. So... yeah, she faces the combined might of all of Culex's offence, with both fire and ice instant-doubling at minimum (possibly earth as well, since using a double is laggy). Actually, she's better off going for full-out offence and possibly killing earth and water as well, but now she's unbuffed and dies to Corona + Dark Star. Yep, stripmonixer nonsense not good enough here. If you see Sun Flare getting all four crystals at once she may pull this out, but probably not because she has no large AoE moves besides Sun Flare and can't double Sun Flare with itself, so something will live, and she can't afford anything to.

Heavy

Lashiec (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium) vs Lenus (Legend of Dragoon): Lenus is happy her best damage is dark (which Lashiec weirdly does not resist!) instead of ice (which Lashiec weirdly does!). Anyway, Lashiec is more durable, but... only slightly thanks to Lenus' impressive MDef (she's about 2PCHP + cuts magic by 45% = 3.6, he's about 4PCHP). So Lashiec has a 5HKO here. Lenus, meanwhile, does about 5% to Lashiec at full HP, but as soon as she is hit twice, she counters for her monstrous double Dark Mist which does 34% to Lashiec. And since she has three more turns before dying, she gets off three more of these. This is actually a win for Lenus with some room to spare.

And do keep in mind this is how I feel on the match, and I don't reward Lenus for only facing 3 PCs while Lashiec faces 5. If you do, Lenus just outright wins magic durability and this becomes a slaughter.

Middle

Ray (Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword) vs Natalia Luzu Kimlasca-Lanvaldear (Tales of the Abyss): Yeah, Natalia wins if she never attacks (Ray has 1% crit, fear), but... Ray 2HKOs and Natalia has to trigger counters. It's in both their interest to sit there staring at each other, but you know how I feel about that. Both get forced to attack, Ray wins.
Stocke (Radiant Historia) vs Guy (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword): Kneejerk of Stocke not being all that great.

Light

Raticate (Pokémon) vs Viki (Suikoden Series): Raticate is very similar to Nanami outside lower durability... very low 3HKO off good speed (he also has gravity to make sure he completes 3HKOs when he actually gets 3 turns, but that's not terribly relevant here). So, same match as last week pretty much!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 12:24:24 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 01:13:02 AM »

Heavy

Nel Zelpher (Star Ocean: Till the End of Time) vs Vyse (Skies of Arcadia)- Freeze, I think. If Freeze isn't turn 1, I *think* Vyse wins (Faster, effective heal lock with physicals) but I'm reaosnably sure freeze is turn 1.

Middle

Ray (Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword) vs Natalia Luzu Kimlasca-Lanvaldear (Tales of the Abyss)- Elfboy- Couldn't Natalia buff with resist to buy some time, or don'to think that will change things?

Light

Raticate (Pokémon) vs Viki (Suikoden Series)- fuck this
Mallow (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Vitali (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters)- Kneejerking Vitali's healing is good enough here; I don't see Mallow getting a damage bonus here.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 01:26:20 AM »
I forgot Resist was a thing. Uhhh... it really depends how good TotA MDef is then. My memory is "not very good", but specifics certainly matter here.

Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 02:42:21 AM »
Problem with using Resist is that, even if it does reduce Ray to a 3HKO, the first time's still a free turn and Natalia has to be at full HP to attack -ever-, otherwise she dies to counters. And she does -not- have the resources to keep this up for very long, she will have to use full curing at points to avoid locks (48 TP!) and spends 20 TP a turn (either with the lower-level healing or with her combo, and I -am- factoring in the TP healing from basic physicals) minimum when she only has 320 total. So, how long it takes for her to actually reach OL -really- would matter.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 05:24:44 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 06:09:54 AM »
Godlike

Heavy

Lashiec (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium) vs Lenus (Legend of Dragoon)- Mdef tanking

Middle

Stocke (Radiant Historia) vs Guy (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword)- 67% Evade

Light

Raticate (Pokémon) vs Viki (Suikoden Series)- Uh...sigh. Whatever, I'll just ignore Viki

...into the nightfall.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 06:04:34 PM »
Izanami (Persona 4) vs Ameno-Sagiri (Persona 4) - This is actually a very weird match. Against Tarunda, Izanami does -not- want to attack Ameno, because Bewildering Fog weirdly spoils her (it OHKOs her second form and it pretty much stops the first form's HP buffering from ever being relevant), and the first form can't chip the Bewildering Fog HP triggers in time (since Ameno OHKOs the first form with a SINGLE Nebula Oculus). As such, I think my vote actually goes for the eyeball, but any more HP respect for Izanami likely swings the fight the other way, since all she needs is to have more time to work Ameno over.
Shania (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Culex (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) - nnnnnnnope.

Lashiec (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium) vs Lenus (Legend of Dragoon) - sure why not

Ray (Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword) vs Natalia Luzu Kimlasca-Lanvaldear (Tales of the Abyss) - I remember OL building being pretty slow - and far moreso when you're getting wailed on rather than wailing. Given the problems noted beforehand, yeah, too much pressure.
Stocke (Radiant Historia) vs Guy (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) - Stocke not very great.

Raticate (Pokémon) vs Viki (Suikoden Series) - Sigh.
Mallow (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Vitali (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) - Thank you for beating Cathedral even though Mallow would've done it anyway, Vitali. Now pick up your suit and take the left exit. Also, I have absolutely -no idea- how you'd see Vitali beating Mallow, super. Mallow just uses his physical and avoids type disadvantage that way and the difference in resources is -gross- even if you scale down SMRPG PP.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 06:07:10 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 06:39:23 PM »
Godlike

Heavy

Middle

Light

When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 07:06:00 PM »

More waiting on the analysis on how bad the rat is.  Edit: So according to Elf, this is last week's match redux, faster 3HKOer wins vs. Viki5 the slightly slow, sure.  Especially since Normal typing means that no S5 elemental spoiling enters the picture.

Got bored, did maths. 
So using Gen 3 Raticate, it does about 34% average with a hyper fang and has .75 mdur.  Viki easily kills on her second turn as long as magic chain activates once (433x3, around 90% average), but can't kill in one turn even with magic chain (866, about 60%).  However, on raw HP Viki has about 70% durability, so Viki's defense (188 to 236 average) only has to add a measly 1% to the rat's damage to be 2HKOed.

I don't think there's any other voters who played Suikoden V but not IV, but if there are, there's the maths.  Only Viki IV wins.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 11:42:42 PM »
Godlike

Izanami (Persona 4) vs Ameno-Sagiri (Persona 4): I don't think their HP is all that different.
Shania (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Culex (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars): Sure.

Heavy

Lashiec (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium) vs Lenus (Legend of Dragoon): The Elves have it.
Nel Zelpher (Star Ocean: Till the End of Time) vs Vyse (Skies of Arcadia): Doesn't Vyse have an accessory that reduces the status odds? That does it. 2HKO, faster, etc.

Middle

If Ray opts to attack Natalia heals.
If Ray opts not to attack Natalia
A) Casts Revive, which is auto-revival
B) Buffs Mdef
C) Taunts him to built her overlimit gauge.

I think she has options other than doing nothing so shouldn't have a problem. If she had a knockdown attack she could avoid the counters but she doesn't have one.

Stocke (Radiant Historia) vs Guy (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword): Stocke has 147% Pdur and goes first without worrying about counters. Guy 3-rounds that. So does Stocke land two G-Fires before Guy's third turn? He may pass the first turn, take more damage, and connect the next two in an effort to do a double G-Fire combo and make one evade check instead of two. I think the situation favors Stocke.

Light

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 11:48:11 PM »
Shard of purity can only be used by Drachma and Gilder.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 12:43:10 AM »
Stocke (Radiant Historia) vs Guy (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword): Stocke has 147% Pdur and goes first without worrying about counters. Guy 3-rounds that. So does Stocke land two G-Fires before Guy's third turn? He may pass the first turn, take more damage, and connect the next two in an effort to do a double G-Fire combo and make one evade check instead of two. I think the situation favors Stocke.

An argument based on something that has less than a 50% chance to succeed based on available numbers and is based on a claim that is both completely unprovable ingame due to evasion being a thing that doesn't exist in RH and offers no cause to assume it would even work that way even if evasion did exist, that gives Guy two of the three turns that by your own admission he needs at increased damage, and assumes that Guy's luck on crits is completely normal.  This favors Stocke how, exactly?

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 11:19:43 PM »
I base the idea that combos would be subject to one evade check the same way I do Tales' PC's attack strings making one evade check. Or Valkyrie Profile and so on. Also RH combos keep enemies airborne and enemies grouped together so it makes for a rather smooth interp.

That said the strategy isn't really that viable anyway since it only improves his odds if Guy's evade is <50%.  So it's purely a call if Guy has >50% evade against G-Fire.

Dhyer pegs Guy at 56% evade, but Dhyer didn't weight bosses too heavily into his enemy Acc stat, and bosses are heavy at endgame (this would mean the low-end evaders fear SRW battleships less). I think he corrected boss AS into his enemy AS spread though.

Dhyer's numbers also show Guy 4-rounding Stocke, but I don't think I agree with halving the crit rate, so Guy's damage should be good enough for a 3HKO.

Stocke wishes his 80% heal move was usable on the not-dead as always.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 12:00:13 AM »
I put in some factor for bosses. When I'm at home I can tell you how much, but FE 7 got a bit more because boss/boss-types comprise a lot more of the last few maps than in most FE games.
...into the nightfall.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 12:36:15 AM »
I base the idea that combos would be subject to one evade check the same way I do Tales' PC's attack strings making one evade check.  Or Valkyrie Profile and so on.  Also RH combos keep enemies airborne and enemies grouped together so it makes for a rather smooth interp.

Too bad we're not talking about those games.  I can point to games like EF or FM4 where combos do precisely jack to consolidate accuracy/evasion checks, and it doesn't really matter, because they have about as much bearing here as Tales games or VP1.   Games that lack accuracy/evasion altogether have no argument to get any sort of credit for bypassing them short either of very specific situations that can be seen as translating or the defender's definition of evasion failing to be sufficiently comprehensive, so if we were talking about Air Assault -> G-Fire I'd say fair enough (for all that this is an incredibly poor idea here to me), but simply using G-Fire twice in a row?  No, not so much, there's very little it does on its own to tie enemies up to credit it for that since it in no way places them in a compromised position.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 01:09:09 AM by Random Consonant »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 02:42:28 AM »
Pokemon and Final Fantasy for two more examples where multihits make separate evade checks. It really varies game to game.

In principle since RH has no evade I could see breaking either way, but I am much more likely to favour Random's assumptions here than I am Pyro's as the DL has enough things that fuck over sub-50 evade as is (ITE being way more common, evade assumed to be meaningless if a OHKO is happening, etc.).

Although for what it's worth if Stocke is 2HKOing and only 4HKOed he has this (I definitely don't agree, but...) and if he's being 3HKOed he only needs to land 2 hits out of 3 due to going first, so he just needs Guy to be sub-50 evade -anyway- and all this switch nonsense just makes it more likely for him to lose? (Boosting two of Guy's turns seems like a really bad idea.) Maybe I'm missing something.

And actually, hmm. I just realised that Guy misses the 2HKO here to me! I forgot Stocke was that durable. However, Guy's evade is over 50 if he's not weighed down (against 125 hit, which is very high!), and he can 3HKO with a Iron Sword, Iron Sword, Silver Sword, so he'll never be weighed down.

Obviously different views of FE (as well as the RH damage average, 'sup Aht) will swing this different ways. It definitely feels like you need a pretty specific set of assumptions to let Stocke win this, but if you take all of them, go nuts.

Maybe.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 04:20:36 AM »
Evade checking one time makes perfect sense in situations where it making multiple checks would in fact reduce damage by proportionally more than the evade is worth.

For example if a two-hit attack has a condition where the first connecting would make the second deal Triple damage, then...

- average vs. 0 evade is 4
- average vs 50% evade (per hit) is 1.5 instead of 2 (what you'd expect right, 4/2).

In cases where the damage done is dependent upon earlier hits like that, I just make the whole chain check. Basically evasion in multi-hit situations hsould be scaled to reflect how good it actually is. For example if a 20% evade rate stops a chain attack regardless of where it occurs, and it faces 8-hit combos regulary, then the evade is in effect quite a bit better than 20%.

Just fun to think about.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2013, 04:33:07 AM »
I would agree with that, provided there's no in-game evidence to the contrary. This doesn't really apply to RH combos, though, unless you are hyping the 6% chain bonus (meh to that). It does apply to Air Assault, of course.

Maybe.

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2013, 06:20:00 AM »
Godlike

Heavy

Light

Ranking Suggestion:
Mother 3

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2013, 09:05:14 AM »
Factor of 25% of bosses for FE 7 for HIT.
...into the nightfall.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2013, 08:02:35 PM »
Godlike

Heavy

Middle

Light

[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2013, 08:06:02 PM »
Oh, for picking a game for game gathering notes? I would figure you mean out that isn't on the list yet.

So...uh...Xenoblade?
...into the nightfall.