Register

Author Topic: Final Fantasy Class Warfare Team Tourney, Round 2  (Read 2391 times)

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy Class Warfare Team Tourney, Round 2
« on: December 13, 2013, 06:55:35 AM »
Results:

Knights vs. Archers
Thieves vs. Engineers
Dancers vs. Ninjas
Blue Mages vs. Dark Knights (4-5)
Black Mages vs. Squires

Bards vs. Dragoons
Time Mages vs. Red Mages
Summoners vs. Paladins
Samurai vs. White Mages
Monks vs. Monsters

Hatbot knocked out the Archers, Engineers, Red Mages, & Paladins permanently.  The other losers continue on but in the other half of the bracket.  A few classic clashes between light and darkness, Samurai and Ninja, and Bard vs. Beast.

Knights (FF1 Knight, FF5 Knight, Squall, Steiner) vs. Squires (Gogo**, Cloud, Ramza, Kimahri)
Thieves (Locke, FFT Thief [female], Zidane, Rikku*) vs. Dragoons (FF3 Dragoon, Kain, FF7 Cid, Freya)
Ninjas (FF1 Ninja, Edge, Shadow, Yuffie) vs. Samurai (FF5 Samurai, Cyan, FFT Samurai [male], Auron)
Dark Knights (FF3 Dark Knight, DK Cecil, PC Gafgarion, PC Seifer) vs. Monks (Grand Master, Sabin, Zell, Amarant)

Bards (FF3 Bard, Edward, FF5 Bard, FFX-2 Songstress Yuna) vs. Monsters (Gau, Cait Sith, Vincent, Red XIII)
Time Mages (FF5 Time Mage***, FFT Time Mage [female], Tidus) vs. Dancers (FF5 Dancer, Mog, FFT Dancer, FFTA2 Penelo)
Summoners (Rydia, FF5 Summoner, FFT Summoner [female], Garnet) vs. Blue Mages (FF5 Blue Mage, Strago, Quistis, Quina)
White Mages (FF3 Devout, Rosa, FF5 White Mage, Eiko) vs. Black Mages (Palom, FF5 Black Mage, Vivi, Lulu)

* Rikku: Has FFX Common Steals, see Dungeon list from F1-F7
** Gogo: Has full FF6 command choice.
*** Time Mage: No Reset.

Short form:

Knights vs. Squires
Thieves vs. Dragoons
Ninjas vs. Samurai
Dark Knights vs. Monks

Bards vs. Monsters
Time Mages vs. Dancers
Summoners vs. Blue Mages
White Mages vs. Black Mages

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy Class Warfare Team Tourney, Round 2
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 01:20:39 PM »
Knights vs. Squires - I go by the "Sneak Rings are always useless" interp, meaning Gogo sinks into effectively below average speed territory no matter what. Kimahri is unusually problematic for team Knights (lol E&C) and only Squall can do anything about it. Furthermore, the first turn has EVERYBODY PILING UP ON Gogo because he -will- raise hell if he gets but a single turn. So, Squall and Knight bumrush Gogo, Cloud and Ramza get a turn... can Cloud+Ramza+Kimahri KO Squall? *Checkcheckcheck.* Hm, Ramza+Cloud alone deal roughly 95% PC HP, most of it ITD, and Squall's above average VIT and SPR and 105% HP, Kim deals 19% PC HP with Ultima. Let's say -yes-. Once this happens, the Knights can't deal damage to Kimahri ever and - wait, Steiner also has ITE/MT damage! Yeah, not so simple. And Steiner is pretty hard to put down considering Ramza needs to deal elemental damage that gets walled to 3HKO average. The only other possible threat would be a Finishing Touch from Cloud, but that's -so- not flying in practice.

Thieves vs. Dragoons - Rikku statuses Freya and Zidane casts Mini on FF3 Dragoon. Everything else goes to hell.

Ninjas vs. Samurai - EDIT: Shadow doesn't survive Gil Toss? This -does- throw the match upside down. Also forgot Zombie Strike. Yeah, nevermind.

Dark Knights vs. Monks - Cecil immediately IDs either Amarant or Sabin and now any hope the monks have for managing the fight goes out the window. The monks are weirdly -bad- as a team.

Bards vs. Monsters - The only person who doesn't block Stop in this fight is Gau and he's honestly not the most problematic team member for the bards. Confuse might be problematic at points, but, for starters, I have no idea how the hell can they ever get past Cait Sith's MT full healing limit off that damage, the mass immunity to Stop shenanigans puts this fight into a pretty wretched realm for the singers.

Time Mages vs. Dancers - Dude, FF5 Time Mage+Tidus in a team tourney. What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. The team's pretty much coasting to a championship.

Summoners vs. Blue Mages - I'm pretty sure Rydia can tweak her equips to be faster than Strago, which leads to all kinds of ugly. Garnet also can randomly throw wrenches into the battlefield by running MT ID (even if inaccurate, -nobody here- can immune ID). Neutralizing Strago just pretty much leads the fight downhill, FF5 Blue Mage just doesn't have decisive tools like Strago does.

White Mages vs. Black Mages - Eiko is faster than the entire opposing force and tosses Carbuncle. THE END.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 07:46:22 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Reiska

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 03:56:07 PM »
I'm not so sure about the White Mage vs. Black Mage match there - if I'm not mistaken, Vivi has access to Reflect-piercing, Palom has a spell (albeit really slow) that bypasses Reflect (Meteor) if we're taking his Advance form which we absolutely should be IMO, and putting up Carbuncle also shuts down most of the White Mages' healing.

Own votes to be edited in later.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 03:57:21 PM »
Knights (FF1 Knight, FF5 Knight, Squall, Steiner) vs. Squires (Gogo**, Cloud, Ramza, Kimahri)- Completely disagree with Snow, Gogo should be above average speed in the DL. Forget sneak rings, the poor fucker has to use Dark Gear as his best armor. I have no problem giving him the speed credit for that, as it makes his defense uguu/10.  Anyway, horrible slaughter due to Gogo.
Thieves (Locke, FFT Thief [female], Zidane, Rikku*) vs. Dragoons (FF3 Dragoon, Kain, FF7 Cid, Freya)- Splat.
Ninjas (FF1 Ninja, Edge, Shadow, Yuffie) vs. Samurai (FF5 Samurai, Cyan, FFT Samurai [male], Auron)- Blitzes out FF5 Samurai before he can go. Rest of the Samurai team's just not that dangerous and Auron' slone break isn't going to change the match.
[Dark Knights (FF3 Dark Knight, DK Cecil, PC Gafgarion, PC Seifer) vs. Monks (Grand Master, Sabin, Zell, Amarant)- DKC downs Amarant, who has some unpleasant support magic to deal with. The rest of the team's just not that scary- I doubt they can down DKC before he goes again, and that's real bad. Grand Master's at least immune to ID, but he can't clear out the entire team on his own.

Bards (FF3 Bard, Edward, FF5 Bard, FFX-2 Songstress Yuna) vs. Monsters (Gau, Cait Sith, Vincent, Red XIII)-Most of this team can immune stop, which should be enough offhand.
Time Mages (FF5 Time Mage***, FFT Time Mage [female], Tidus) vs. Dancers (FF5 Dancer, Mog, FFT Dancer, FFTA2 Penelo)- Leaning time mages, but will wait for others to weigh in.
Summoners (Rydia, FF5 Summoner, FFT Summoner [female], Garnet) vs. Blue Mages (FF5 Blue Mage, Strago, Quistis, Quina)- Think the summoner's team speed dooms them.
White Mages (FF3 Devout, Rosa, FF5 White Mage, Eiko) vs. Black Mages (Palom, FF5 Black Mage, Vivi, Lulu)-  The Devout/White Mage/Eiko should go first. FF5 Holy+Madeen should kill Palom and weaken the others. FF3 Devout should reflect Rosa. At that point, there isn't much the black mage team can do. Vivi is pretty useless, FF5 Black Mage cam status out someone, but that holy lasts until the next WM turn, and Lulu's speed is as hopeless as always. Rosa should beat out Lulu and can smite someone with Holy or remove status. Mmm. Even if lulu dishes out doublecast death, there's just too much revival and healing on the white mage side.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 05:18:19 PM »
I'm not so sure about the White Mage vs. Black Mage match there - if I'm not mistaken, Vivi has access to Reflect-piercing, Palom has a spell (albeit really slow) that bypasses Reflect (Meteor)

It doesn't matter, it still gives enough time for Rosa and WM to status blitz Palom and Vivi. Reflect alone means the opposition can't kill anyone in a single round. By the second turn, over half the black mages are completely useless at worst.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 08:57:57 PM »
For WMs vs. BMs: If you allow Lulu Ultima, and she's still alive once she gets a turn (possibly a lot to ask), I believe FFX Ultima is reflect-piercing as well.  Flip side, since Eiko has Reflect-Null, I believe that makes her healing magic and not just her summons ignore reflect, so the WMs can throw up Reflect and still heal.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 09:37:34 PM »
Lulu also has to face Rosa status accuracy - Berserk in particular, which she has absolutely no recourse against, is unerringly accurate and Rosa's faster. FF5 WM and FF3 Devout should be faster than Palom as well, and two shots of their status are likely enough to handle him. Not sure if they do blitz him out, but he's not that high priority (Meteor charge time is over a turn long and whatnot). Vivi, on the other hand, just kinda sucks (his best MT damage, which I'm not even sure to 2HKO average, ALSO hurts his allies. He doesn't really care, Dark immunity, but the last thing he wants is to get his allies to the grave faster against a bunch of healers).
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 09:50:27 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 09:51:17 PM »
Knights (FF1 Knight, FF5 Knight, Squall, Steiner) vs. Squires (Gogo**, Cloud, Ramza, Kimahri) - Yeah I frown on Sneak Rings and Gogo's still below average with the Dark Garb so I think I agree with Snow's vote here.
Thieves (Locke, FFT Thief [female], Zidane, Rikku*) vs. Dragoons (FF3 Dragoon, Kain, FF7 Cid, Freya) - coast off rikku hax
Ninjas (FF1 Ninja, Edge, Shadow, Yuffie) vs. Samurai (FF5 Samurai, Cyan, FFT Samurai [male], Auron) - e: okay giltoss better than expected against bad defense but unlike others I don't see Shadow's defense as equivalent to being low enough to get him oneshotted
Dark Knights (FF3 Dark Knight, DK Cecil, PC Gafgarion, PC Seifer) vs. Monks (Grand Master, Sabin, Zell, Amarant) - yeah no mk2

Bards (FF3 Bard, Edward, FF5 Bard, FFX-2 Songstress Yuna) vs. Monsters (Gau, Cait Sith, Vincent, Red XIII)
Time Mages (FF5 Time Mage***, FFT Time Mage [female], Tidus) vs. Dancers (FF5 Dancer, Mog, FFT Dancer, FFTA2 Penelo) - Team TM for finals
Summoners (Rydia, FF5 Summoner, FFT Summoner [female], Garnet) vs. Blue Mages (FF5 Blue Mage, Strago, Quistis, Quina)
White Mages (FF3 Devout, Rosa, FF5 White Mage, Eiko) vs. Black Mages (Palom, FF5 Black Mage, Vivi, Lulu) - Yeah I'm not sure how this isn't a complete blowout myself, Vivi's the only one who doesn't fail it up against Reflect and he's useless anyways.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 10:20:57 PM by Random Consonant »

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 01:02:44 AM »
FF5 Berserk has perfect accuracy, for what it's worth.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 02:39:31 AM »
Knights (FF1 Knight, FF5 Knight, Squall, Steiner) vs. Squires (Gogo**, Cloud, Ramza, Kimahri)
Dark Gear Gogo is 36 Spd to a 36.8 average?  So basically a tie with average and thus a tie with Knight / Squall.  Even if Gogo wins the coinflip and beats out one, the other likely OHKOs him, so Steiner to the rescue?  Maybe?  (Being MT won't help, think E&C gets the C even when E can't happen, so theoretically Steiner can get outslugged down too off Kimahri counters + any extra turns CLoud / Ramza get...   Iai Strike is kinda slow too.)  Can totally be convinced otherwise here.
Thieves (Locke, FFT Thief [female], Zidane, Rikku*) vs. Dragoons (FF3 Dragoon, Kain, FF7 Cid, Freya)
Ninjas (FF1 Ninja, Edge, Shadow, Yuffie) vs. Samurai (FF5 Samurai, Cyan, FFT Samurai [male], Auron)
Checking, Gil Toss baaaaaaaarely doesn't activate Clear Tranquil (whose limit requirement is a bit more than 50%, it's more like 60%, and Gil toss does ~56% damage to Yuffie).  Unless FF7 limits start half-charged, which I'm actually pretty sympathetic too.  Anyway, Auron isn't achieving much early, Cyan can Stunner / Cleave out a Vanish'd Shadow but kind of sucks otherwise...  yeah, despite the two initiative turns and some tanky utility off FFT Samurai, this seems like an uphill fight.
EDIT: Okay, if Gil Toss super-counts defense so much as to make it a OHKO to Shadow, sure, the Ninjas REALLY want Shadow to live.
Dark Knights (FF3 Dark Knight, DK Cecil, PC Gafgarion, PC Seifer) vs. Monks (Grand Master, Sabin, Zell, Amarant)

Cait Sith & Red block Stop, Vincent blocks Confuse.  If the bard go for Confuse hax, Vincent just taps Cait out of it and Toad hax is on.  If the bards go for Stop, they eat nasty damage + Toad.  If they do something else (Haste, HP doubling) they just don't outslug fast enough.
Time Mages (FF5 Time Mage***, FFT Time Mage [female], Tidus) vs. Dancers (FF5 Dancer, Mog, FFT Dancer, FFTA2 Penelo)
Quick->2x Quartr rides again.  (FF5 Meteor actually not so great in a team match due to the unfocusing, but whatevs.)
Garnet goes first and throws down Odin...  but if it doesn't hit the right targets, the SUmmoners are in trouble from FF5 Blue Mage & Strago's turns.  FFT Summoner has trouble resolving something relevant fast, FF5 Summoner if left alive can quickly follow up with strong MT damage to force a White Wind at least...  not sure, will await arguments.  Do the Bloos have something broken and MT?  Because if they can't end it fast, the ID will take them apart slowly so no turtling setup with Mighty Guard / White Wind hax or hte like.  ST status that can miss may  not be fast enough vs. Garnet's MT status.
White Mages (FF3 Devout, Rosa, FF5 White Mage, Eiko) vs. Black Mages (Palom, FF5 Black Mage, Vivi, Lulu)
I let Lulu have Ultima, and it doesn't really matter.  Eiko can just go aggro with Madeen and the BMs are already in a world of holy pain.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 09:50:35 PM by SnowFire »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 02:53:10 AM »
I'm not really sure why you'd give Ultima to Lulu as it's squarely in Kimahri's section in the grid. I guess the argument is that she has a Fury with it (and/or she is the cast's black mage so she deserves all black magic), but by that logic she should have Drain and Osmose as well.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 04:01:00 AM »
A lot like Round 1... I wonder if we shouldn't just do this in a List Format...
Knights
Rikku
Ninjas
Dark Knights

Monsters
Tidus
Summoners
White Mages

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 04:38:25 AM »
Knights (FF1 Knight, FF5 Knight, Squall, Steiner) vs. Squires (Gogo**, Cloud, Ramza, Kimahri): Squall and Steiner have to die before Kimahri. That's the goal of the Squires here. For the Knights Kimahri must go down, and Gogo should be a target too. Ideally Squall/Steiner would focus purely on Kimahri while the FF1/5 Knight mince Gogo.... But Gogo is faster than FF5 Knight with Dark Gear + Circlet probably. He also has like ~64% pdur. FF1 Knight can't KO that alone, so Squall would have to pitch in (which means Kimahri has more time). That said, Kimahri probably dies to 2 attacks from either Squall or Steiner... Can FF5 Knight itemcast Safe on Steiner? I'm also not sure Kimahri+Cloud+Ramza KO Squall. Feels like I should vote Knights.
Thieves (Locke, FFT Thief [female], Zidane, Rikku*) vs. Dragoons (FF3 Dragoon, Kain, FF7 Cid, Freya): MT status doom.
Ninjas (FF1 Ninja, Edge, Shadow, Yuffie) vs. Samurai (FF5 Samurai, Cyan, FFT Samurai [male], Auron): Auron Zombie Breaks or Armor Breaks one of the Ninjas (not Shadow). FF5 Samurai Zeninages and KOs Shadow and maybe the one Auron hurt. If Yuffie is alive to try and heal her healing KOs someone on her own team... feels like that initial onslaught is enough to screw over the Ninjas.
Dark Knights (FF3 Dark Knight, DK Cecil, PC Gafgarion, PC Seifer) vs. Monks (Grand Master, Sabin, Zell, Amarant): Instant Death here.

Bards (FF3 Bard, Edward, FF5 Bard, FFX-2 Songstress Yuna) vs. Monsters (Gau, Cait Sith, Vincent, Red XIII): Stop immunity.
Time Mages (FF5 Time Mage***, FFT Time Mage [female], Tidus) vs. Dancers (FF5 Dancer, Mog, FFT Dancer, FFTA2 Penelo): 3 FF5 Meteos and an FFT Meteor drop should do the trick.
Summoners (Rydia, FF5 Summoner, FFT Summoner [female], Garnet) vs. Blue Mages (FF5 Blue Mage, Strago, Quistis, Quina): Summoners have too much MT damage. Also MT ID off Garnet before any of em go. Ouch.
White Mages (FF3 Devout, Rosa, FF5 White Mage, Eiko) vs. Black Mages (Palom, FF5 Black Mage, Vivi, Lulu) : Reflect + SHell off Eiko. That's... painful for the other team to deal with. Status just makes the white mages even more painfully deadly.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 10:15:47 PM by Pyro »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 08:31:42 PM »
As I'm putting my votes together...

Super: Gogo, with Dark Gear but no Sneak Rings, is below average speed, by about half a point. This was good enough to outspeed all the black mages since they're all below average themselves (if Vivi and FF5 BM not by much, it's still by more than Gogo) but not all the knights.
Pyro: While I suspect it doesn't matter, Edge disabling FF5 samurai is something that isn't happening. Samurai is nasty to hit with physicals (Blade Grasp + FF5 shield) and immunes both sleep and paralysis to boot, so Edge's only hope is to try the charm claw (which you may not even allow) against ~60% evade.

Maybe.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 09:07:14 PM »
Knights vs. Squires: Headache. Okay. Turn order is Ramza > Squall > Kimahri > FF1 > Gogo > Steiner > Cloud > FF5. Squall and FF1 kill Gogo which leaves Kimahri as their big problem. The Squires can down Squall, but FF1 and FF5 are going to cut through the squires pretty nicely and I think Steiner lives long enough. The insurance is that FF5 Knight can cast Protect on Steiner (or Squall if the squires blitz Steiner instead) which pretty much ensures he lives long enough to raise hell.
Thieves vs. Dragoons: FFX items are dumb.
Ninjas vs. Samurai: Gil Toss should one-shot Shadow (it is very def-subject). Not sure if it activates Clear Tranquil or not... Yuffie can probably twink her def so it does but if she does then Auron opens with Zombie Attack on some juicy target... maybe Edge? So if she uses Clear Tranquil, Edge dies leaving just FF1 Ninja (oh the terror). Instead she uses Greased Lightning on... someone, she + Edge can probably combine for a KO on a frailer Samurai, but Auron is a problematic target due to Counter and FF5 Samurai as mentioned is a death tank. To make matters worse Auron is resisting sleep as well so that avenue is out (Pin may work but feels like it's delaying the inevitable). I honestly don't see how the Ninja team recovers from this. I guess a lot of people are assuming Shadow survives Gil Toss but you really shouldn't; Shadow's def sucks and Gil Toss is like 8x as affected by def as anything else in FF5, and against 0 FF5 Def (which you certainly do see) it does well past OHKO damage, and Shadow's def is if anything worse than that.

Bards vs. Monsters: What Snowfire said about the statusblocker situation + Gau can immune both with a ticking-time-bomb rage (since the bards can't revive) like Roulette or Charm or something.
Time Mages vs. Dancers: Hahaha no.
Summoners vs. Blue Mages: Garnet lets Odin fly, killing on average two of the four Blue Mages. Best-case scenario for the blue mages is those two are Quistis and... someone else. Not Quina since Night is partially immuned. Blue Mage + Strago, sure. They can neutralise two people... but is that enough? Garnet getting another turn is awful, FFT Summoner getting time to resolve a big slow bitchslap spell is awful, Rydia getting a turn is awful, FF5 Summoner getting a turn is awful. And that assumes the rather sluggish strago actually outspeeds all the relevant non-Garnet summoners which probably isn't the case (certainly doesn't outspeed FF5...).
White Mages vs. Black Mages: Seems straightforward.

Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2013, 10:53:02 PM »
Closing this tomorrow, so last call for votes/edits.

On that note, for those who didn't see DHE's vote & FF5 stat topic update, the Samurai vs. Ninja match is worth re-considering IMHO.  Even if you don't see Shadow's defense as bad enough to get OHKO'd by the cash, Auron can open up with Defense Break which will then be followed by Zenigage...  which does rather little to me (0 FFX Defense isn't far from Shadow's already bad defense) but might tip the scales otherwise, and the Ninjas team really really wants Shadow to live.  Note that FF5 Samurai blocks Sleep & Paralysis if you allow Hermes Sandals, and Auron can resist Sleep (and the stat topic doesn't say Edge's hit rate on paralysis), so it's not clear if Edge can do enough status damage - and Cyan can always poke people awake anyway.  If Auron & FF5 Sam get another turn under this scenario, the Zombie Strike hax comes out slightly later, and then Team Ninja is really screwed.  Among the scrubs, FFT Sam is probably helping out more than FF1 Ninja.  (I think I buy the OHKO argument anyway, which renders this scenario moot and frees up Auron to Zombie Strike Edge, and then it's really grim.)

Elf, as for Lulu & Ultima, you got it, Ultima Fury does suggest it's "Lulu's" (despite it SUCKING HORRIBLY).  Both Lulu & Kimahri need to spend a Return Sphere after finishing their grid once L4 unlocks are available to go collect it, and it's not that much farther a hike for Lulu.  Since I'm okay with letting Yuna spend a Return Sphere to go grab Auto-Life, seems fair to do the same here.

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2013, 10:25:05 AM »
Knights vs. Squires: Believe they outslug
Thieves vs. Dragoons: status hype, sure
Ninjas vs. Samurai: I do see Shadow living through FF5 Samurai and Auron's initiative turns.  I don't see him or FF5 Samurai living to a second turn.  Still, the speed split is smaller than I thought at first.  Kiyomori does increase the survivability of the Samurai team.  Leaning Ninjas but so close so abstaining.
Dark Knights vs. Monks: For giggles, I let Amarant dodge Cecil's ID with Dark immunity or absorption and still believe the Dark Knights will win.  Sabin's MT is counterproductive here as it will unlock Seifer's.

Bards vs. Monsters: The only hope of getting around Cait's Limit is relying on damage from Confusion since ally damage won't charge the Limit bar.  Too luck based.  Also, I think Gau has something which immunes every status the Bards can throw at him.
Time Mages vs. Dancers: Time Mages will win by getting so many more turns than the Dancers.  So who's the fourth member again?
Summoners vs. Blue Mages: Three have reasonably accurate MT death to get around any attempts at sandbagging.  EDIT: Looked it up, Moon Flute only berserks allies.  Ueless here.
White Mages vs. Black Mages: Rosa has accurate MT Silence among other tricks.  Berserk tags anyone who tries to immune Silence.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 04:23:06 AM by DragonKnight Zero »

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2013, 02:32:09 PM »
Knights vs. Squires: Headache. Okay. Turn order is Ramza > Squall > Kimahri > FF1 > Gogo > Steiner > Cloud > FF5. Squall and FF1 kill Gogo which leaves Kimahri as their big problem. The Squires can down Squall, but FF1 and FF5 are going to cut through the squires pretty nicely and I think Steiner lives long enough. The insurance is that FF5 Knight can cast Protect on Steiner (or Squall if the squires blitz Steiner instead) which pretty much ensures he lives long enough to raise hell.
Ninjas vs. Samurai: Gil Toss should one-shot Shadow (it is very def-subject). Not sure if it activates Clear Tranquil or not... Yuffie can probably twink her def so it does but if she does then Auron opens with Zombie Attack on some juicy target... maybe Edge? So if she uses Clear Tranquil, Edge dies leaving just FF1 Ninja (oh the terror). Instead she uses Greased Lightning on... someone, she + Edge can probably combine for a KO on a frailer Samurai, but Auron is a problematic target due to Counter and FF5 Samurai as mentioned is a death tank. To make matters worse Auron is resisting sleep as well so that avenue is out (Pin may work but feels like it's delaying the inevitable). I honestly don't see how the Ninja team recovers from this. I guess a lot of people are assuming Shadow survives Gil Toss but you really shouldn't; Shadow's def sucks and Gil Toss is like 8x as affected by def as anything else in FF5, and against 0 FF5 Def (which you certainly do see) it does well past OHKO damage, and Shadow's def is if anything worse than that.

Bards vs. Monsters: What Snowfire said about the statusblocker situation + Gau can immune both with a ticking-time-bomb rage (since the bards can't revive) like Roulette or Charm or something.
Summoners vs. Blue Mages: Garnet lets Odin fly, killing on average two of the four Blue Mages. Best-case scenario for the blue mages is those two are Quistis and... someone else. Not Quina since Night is partially immuned. Blue Mage + Strago, sure. They can neutralise two people... but is that enough? Garnet getting another turn is awful, FFT Summoner getting time to resolve a big slow bitchslap spell is awful, Rydia getting a turn is awful, FF5 Summoner getting a turn is awful. And that assumes the rather sluggish strago actually outspeeds all the relevant non-Garnet summoners which probably isn't the case (certainly doesn't outspeed FF5...).

+Dark Knight over Monk.

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2013, 05:37:20 PM »

+Dark Knight over Monk.

Lazy.

ThePiggyman

• Denizen
  • The Lonely People (Are Getting Lonelier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2013, 10:36:52 PM »
Elf, as for Lulu & Ultima, you got it, Ultima Fury does suggest it's "Lulu's" (despite it SUCKING HORRIBLY).  Both Lulu & Kimahri need to spend a Return Sphere after finishing their grid once L4 unlocks are available to go collect it, and it's not that much farther a hike for Lulu.  Since I'm okay with letting Yuna spend a Return Sphere to go grab Auto-Life, seems fair to do the same here.

Just wanted to address this, but I think that's a weird reason to give Lulu Ultima, since she can also do Drain Fury and Osmose Fury, yet she isn't granted those.

EDIT: Just saw that this point was already made. Sorry. ^^;
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 10:44:43 PM by ThePiggyman »
Quote from: DjinnAndTonic
Quote from: OblivionKnight
if you believe in being a GOOD PERSON

If we believed in that, we wouldn't be forcing world-saving hero to fight eachother to the death for our amusement.