imageRegister

Author Topic: RPGDL 2014 Season 1, Week 4  (Read 2229 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
RPGDL 2014 Season 1, Week 4
« on: January 20, 2014, 07:29:15 AM »
Godlike

Heat (Digital Devil Saga) vs Celes Cher (Final Fantasy VI)
Sephiroth (Final Fantasy VII) vs Zophar (Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete)

Heavy

Sinspawn Gui (Final Fantasy X) vs Angela (Seiken Densetsu 3)
Chie Satonaka (Persona 4) vs Lucian (Valkyrie Profile)

Middle

Karsh (Chrono Cross) vs Stocke (Radiant Historia)
Ayame (Suikoden III) vs Tengaar (Suikoden Series)

Light

Luke fon Fabre (Tales of the Abyss) vs Piccolo (Suikoden III)
Jet Enduro (Wild ARMs 3) vs Cinnamon (Mega Man X: Command Mission)

Additionally, suggest 1 game for data mining.

Please glance through the playership list ( http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php/topic,6015.0.html ) and let me know if you've played anything relevant in the past few months.  In particular, the Bubble games up for ranking next week or anything with 9-10 players not currently up for ranking.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
Re: RPGDL 2014 Season 1, Week 4
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 07:46:39 AM »
Quickvotes because I need sleep
Godlike

Heat (Digital Devil Saga) vs Celes Cher (Final Fantasy VI) - durability difference is enough and Celes' tricks won't slow him down.
Sephiroth (Final Fantasy VII) vs Zophar (Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete) - Durability difference is enough I think.

Heavy

Chie Satonaka (Persona 4) vs Lucian (Valkyrie Profile) - probably spoiled by the evade. without Miori Shirt, he probably slaughters.

Middle

Karsh (Chrono Cross) vs Stocke (Radiant Historia) - the better successor to Chrono Trigger
Ayame (Suikoden III) vs Tengaar (Suikoden Series) - I think Tengaar pumps out damage faster

Light

Luke fon Fabre (Tales of the Abyss) vs Piccolo (Suikoden III) - Not a bad fight, and since I give Luke the regen, he takes it easily enough.
Jet Enduro (Wild ARMs 3) vs Cinnamon (Mega Man X: Command Mission) - Kneejerk

Up for noms: Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten
It's been out for a while now, and is universally regarded as far better than the previous entry in the series, so let's see if it's close to rankable?

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 07:53:28 AM »
Godlike

Heat (Digital Devil Saga) vs Celes Cher (Final Fantasy VI): Heat vs. Zophar's pretty interesting, I can't imagine this one is. Whatever slime argument for a turtle victory Celes has is undone by Heat's debuff parade.
Sephiroth (Final Fantasy VII) vs Zophar (Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete): I mean there's probably some theoretical argument of Seph instant doubling and 2HKOing but I'm really not inclined to buy the latter in particular.

Heavy

Sinspawn Gui (Final Fantasy X) vs Angela (Seiken Densetsu 3): Despite voting for him I'm not convinced he should have beaten Mog, and certainly not Groudon... but yeah Angela doesn't match up too well here. Gui just 2HKOs her and has enough durability to not care about her damage in the meantime.

Middle

Karsh (Chrono Cross) vs Stocke (Radiant Historia): Probably Karsh? He surely wins a slugfest and you can't healstall against him as per last week... but I guess there's a chance he fails to 2HKO and Stocke 3HKOs him first? Sounds like that needs math. Later. edit: sounds like that chance is pretty likely after all.
Ayame (Suikoden III) vs Tengaar (Suikoden Series): Revenge Earth completely wrecks Ayame assuming she doesn't just get OHKOed. (I mentioned it a couple weeks ago, but for emphasis: no, Ayame is not ITE.)

Light

Luke fon Fabre (Tales of the Abyss) vs Piccolo (Suikoden III): While I'm awfully tempted to adopt views which would make Piccolo worse... no, not mid-season. Not buying Luke get the level of lightning resist he'd need to drop Piccolo below a 2HKO.
Jet Enduro (Wild ARMs 3) vs Cinnamon (Mega Man X: Command Mission): Accelerator should tip this. JET FOR CHAMPION aw yeah.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 04:40:46 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 09:19:28 AM »
Godlike

Heavy

Middle

Karsh (Chrono Cross) vs Stocke (Radiant Historia) - Yeah Stocke has like 1.47 pdur and is faster than Karsh.  A 2HKO strategy is very problematic for Karsh and there's nothing keeping him from getting 3HKO'd in return.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 12:01:28 PM »
Heat (Digital Devil Saga) vs Celes Chere (Final Fantasy VI) - I'm not even sure how Celes is supposed to ever reasonably -damage- Heat without grossly overlevelled spells - he even immunes Ice, methinks.
Sephiroth (Final Fantasy VII) vs Zophar (Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete) - Sigh, EBO.

Sinspawn Gui (Final Fantasy X) vs Angela (Seiken Densetsu 3) - 2HKO shenanigans.
Chie Satonaka (Persona 4) vs Lucian (Valkyrie Profile) - Evade rears its ugly head again. Lucian may even survive a Tarucharged God Hand, but he doesn't live through a follow-up and he's unlikely to land a hit in time against 80~% evade.

Karsh (Chrono Cross) vs Stocke (Radiant Historia) - Stocke's a wee bit too durable here.
Ayame (Suikoden III) vs Tengaar (Suikoden Series) - Dear god, what's stopping Tengaar from just OHKOing Ayame of the horrible mdur? Not that she -needs- to.

Luke fon Fabre (Tales of the Abyss) vs Piccolo (Suikoden III) - Suppose Piccolo's faster. Jewel of Lorelai hype's also completely useless here too, way too much damage (roughly 20% regen a turn against a total two shots of 1.56x PC HP that go -first-? Dude, nobody in TotA even goes far beyond 1.1x PC HP in mdur and Luke has no case to be any better - in fact, he by all rights should be BELOW that, bad mdef+ 1.07 raw PC HP). Piccolo not being trashy in the DL is so bizarre.
Jet Enduro (Wild ARMs 3) vs Cinnamon (Mega Man X: Command Mission) - Strange little fight, but I think this is correct. Jet starts easily heal-locking non-Hyper Mode Cinnamon by turn three at worst and he' faster from the get-go, getting in a free shot. He does have some issues with reloading, but then -so does Cinnamon- if she ever has to heal and she gets hilariously outslugged outside Iron Maiden. And while she -does- 3HKO him in Iron Maiden Mode, she doesn't do it by much (and she may miss it due to Jet's higher FP later on). At best, she's triggering three evade checks and, at worst, -fifteen-. Under the first hypothesis, if she misses even once before her third turn, she dies immediately due to the extra FP given by dodging, and if she misses once in-between her three turns, the results are more or less the same. Under the second, holy -shit- she's eating a nasty Gatling. Trying to heal is admitting defeat, the recharge on it leaves her hugely vulnerable and hands Jet a free reloading turn.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 04:59:22 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 12:33:49 PM »
If Lucian survives Tarucharged Godhand, that means...

Chie: Taru
Lucian: Whiff
Chie: Power Charge
Chie: Taru Charge'd Godhand!
Chie: finisher.

So he'd have to miss 3 times.... Actually only 2 x in a row. He could hit the third time and Chie would still finish it off via the OPB Endure. Good thing for her since Auto-Sukukaja wears off after the 3rd turn, right?

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 12:53:10 PM »
It wears off just as she gets her fourth turn, actually. That makes a huge difference, since it keeps her evade up for three Lucian turns.

EDIT: An alternate way to victory could be Skull Cracker confuse proccing (that'd hand her a surefire win once it lands. OK calls it 80%, but in-game experience tells me it's closer to 40-50%, and VP1 has no Confuse blocker unless you're ultra-lenient on full status immunity accessories - which you are, but hey).

EDIT: And since I -believe- you're more lenient on P4 damage averages than I am, I'm pretty sure Lucian doesn't survive a Tarucharged God Hand to you.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 01:00:39 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 02:40:33 PM »
Godlike

Sephiroth (Final Fantasy VII) vs Zophar (Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete): Zophar wins because he has The Voice.

Heavy

Sinspawn Gui (Final Fantasy X) vs Angela (Seiken Densetsu 3): Luck's run out, Angela.
Chie Satonaka (Persona 4) vs Lucian (Valkyrie Profile): Gets off a Tarukaja, Power Charge, God Hand, and a thwack if that is needed. Honestly a Power Charge'd God Hand might do it by it's lonesome self, no Tarukajaing or extra thwacks needed.

Middle

Karsh (Chrono Cross) vs Stocke (Radiant Historia): The durability is solid enough to win via a 3HKO without being 2HKO'd.
Ayame (Suikoden III) vs Tengaar (Suikoden Series): And another one down and another one down and another one bites the dust (why isn't Tengaar in Heavy?)

Light

Luke fon Fabre (Tales of the Abyss) vs Piccolo (Suikoden III): Luke can get what is effectively 25% Thunder resistance? Is that enough? Probably.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 03:16:27 PM »
Ayame (Suikoden III) vs Tengaar (Suikoden Series): And another one down and another one down and another one bites the dust (why isn't Tengaar in Heavy?)

How firmly in Heavy she sticks depends to some degree on how you view the game's damage averages and, to a lesser degree (due mostly to her having two L4s being fairly widespread an agreement), her spell charges. She's also spoilable enough in Middle to not be entirely unreasonable there - though she was more reasonable in the division earlier, before the power anti-creep that hit the division in its late life.

EDIT: 25% thunder resistance likely doesn't save Luke from being 2HKOed, I think? Two Furious Blows add up to 1.17x PC HP post-resistance, he has 1.07x PC HP and his mdef is game-worst. That gets him 2HKOed anyway -even if you assume mdef has zero effect on his mdur-. Though what gives him 25% thunder resist, though? The storebought accessories grant him 10% resistance and his 30% resist equip doesn't cover Lightning.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 04:53:37 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 03:25:43 PM »
Godlike

Heavy

Chie Satonaka (Persona 4) vs Lucian (Valkyrie Profile)- What everyone else said. Chie is tough on fighters without ITE.

Light

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 05:09:54 PM »
Godlike

Heavy

Middle

Light

Ranking Suggestion
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 07:41:07 PM »
Godlike

Heavy

Sinspawn Gui (Final Fantasy X) vs Angela (Seiken Densetsu 3)- No vote.

Middle

Karsh (Chrono Cross) vs Stocke (Radiant Historia)- Wow, Stocke's Pdur is that high (I'd have figured more like 120% without looking)?  Yay for Eruca I guess.

Light

Pokémon X/Y
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 05:56:09 AM by Cmdr_King »
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 09:13:25 PM »

Heavy

Middle

Karsh (Chrono Cross) vs Stocke (Radiant Historia) - 3HKOs first.
Ayame (Suikoden III) vs Tengaar (Suikoden Series) - Is Tengaar the most freqent CKDL Middle in terms of matches?  Quite possibly, Jo'ou noms her every other season and she's a borderliner so when she gets in, she usually goes to or near the finals.  (Good thing she's a fun duelist at least.)

Light

Luke fon Fabre (Tales of the Abyss) vs Piccolo (Suikoden III) - I'd maybe hype Luke as slightly faster than average thanks to Jade spells being a tad slow, except I see that Piccolo loses very little damage for a much faster casting Lightning blast on turn 2 that should still 2HKO.  Argh, Piccolo takes forever to grind to A rank Lightning too.  I'd always thought of Piccolo as fair in Light because slooooooow frail mage 2HKO'd by the world, but I suppose I'll go with the stat topic wherein his spells are way faster than they are when you're likely to actually use him and he suffers the ol' 2-turn casting times.  Anyway I suppose he's a speedy strong 2HKOer, so yeah, not really Light.
EDIT: But Luke has Thunder resist options?  Sure I'll tip my vote then.

Data mine:
Shin Megami Tensei 4
Well, I did the stat topic for it, time for confirmation that nobody else played it except Reiska.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 09:51:09 PM by SnowFire »

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 09:44:19 PM »

How firmly in Heavy she sticks depends to some degree on how you view the game's damage averages and, to a lesser degree (due mostly to her having two L4s being fairly widespread an agreement), her spell charges. She's also spoilable enough in Middle to not be entirely unreasonable there - though she was more reasonable in the division earlier, before the power anti-creep that hit the division in its late life.

EDIT: 25% thunder resistance likely doesn't save Luke from being 2HKOed, I think? Two Furious Blows add up to 1.17x PC HP post-resistance, he has 1.07x PC HP and his mdef is game-worst. That gets him 2HKOed anyway -even if you assume mdef has zero effect on his mdur-. Though what gives him 25% thunder resist, though? The storebought accessories grant him 10% resistance and his 30% resist equip doesn't cover Lightning.

Luke can reach 55% Wind Resist with Straw Hat+Opal(Wind covers lightning in TotA).

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 10:43:58 PM »
Godlike

Heavy

Chie Satonaka (Persona 4) vs Lucian (Valkyrie Profile)- So, Lucian has to hit one of the first two attacks. From what we know, that's unlikely (For Pyro, he can hit after that since Chie has the 1 turn Endure)

Middle

Light

Luke fon Fabre (Tales of the Abyss) vs Piccolo (Suikoden III)- Yeah, I can't imagine many people find Opal legal at all (storebought universal single elemental resister?). So Piccolo 2HKOs
...into the nightfall.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 10:45:44 PM »
Oh, and data mine...
Ar Tornelico? It's not like I believe it should be ranked at all, but it at least had a few players and I would like to see the numbers (more than any other game I can think of)
...into the nightfall.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 11:16:26 PM »
Luke is more likely to use Straw Har + Mumbane... for what. 25% resist?

Reiska

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 01:30:50 AM »
Godlike

Heavy

Seconding Disgaea 4, here.  (SF: I wouldn't count for played on SMT4, haven't finished it)

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, 05:33:19 AM »
Luke is more likely to use Straw Har + Mumbane... for what. 25% resist?

Mumbane is 20% Water/Fire/Light reduce.  He can trade out the Hat for a Paralysis Charm for 15% Wind Resist but that's his only other option(also I forgot he can't actually Hat+Opal anyway because Hats are accessories.)

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2014, 03:46:39 AM »
So basically sounds like Luke doesn't really have any indisputably legal lightning resist.
...into the nightfall.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2014, 03:55:38 AM »
Fire and Wind are the elements of Thunder. Resisting one or both resists Thunder by that amount.

This is true in TotA, ToV, and ToX to my knowledge.

Edit: Mixed up my Tales games, I suppose. I don't think it changes much for me, since  I think I allow all S3ers whatever storebought damage rune they want. Maybe he still 2HKOs though. I'm not sure how that affects speed/damage averages.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 12:25:08 PM by Pyro »

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2014, 05:25:26 AM »
In ToX that's totally true since every lightning spell clearly spells out it's fire/wind on the arte page.  But in TotA the few lightning artes are solely tagged as Wind.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2014, 04:22:41 PM »
Godlike

Heavy

Chie Satonaka (Persona 4) vs Lucian (Valkyrie Profile) - I...geh, hard for me to vote on Chie with super evasion because that's just not what I remember her being like in game at all. Dodgy, sure, but 80% evade? Man I must have missed something major.

Middle

Karsh (Chrono Cross) vs Stocke (Radiant Historia) - Was gonna vote Karsh, but for some reason I was thinking Stock was averagish durability. He's not, he's well above average and wins this handily. I think it's the "Red Mage" comparison, I keep wanting to think his stats are red mage like, when he's really way better.
Ayame (Suikoden III) vs Tengaar (Suikoden Series) - Tengaar doing her thing.

Light

Luke fon Fabre (Tales of the Abyss) vs Piccolo (Suikoden III) - Piccolo speed/durability disrespect checking in.
Jet Enduro (Wild ARMs 3) vs Cinnamon (Mega Man X: Command Mission) - Easy enough
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2014, 05:58:32 PM »
Chie has high evade via an Auto-Sukukaja armour that you can make via IC for the Ladies.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2014, 07:15:49 PM »
Godlike

Heat (Digital Devil Saga) vs Celes Chere (Final Fantasy VI)

Heavy

Middle

Light

[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A