Author Topic: Tourney of Random Events: Round 3  (Read 1880 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Tourney of Random Events: Round 3
« on: May 12, 2014, 03:32:26 AM »

Event 34:  Scaring Small Children

Children are terrifying, and therefor it is the duty of adults to scare them right back.  Contestants will be faced with a classroom full of first graders, and tasked with making the entire room afraid.  However, since this is the fun and games edition, they must do so without inflicting physical harm on the children or otherwise causing actual damage to people or objects associated with the children. 

Carmen Sandiego faces a unique challenge here, since the stipulations of the contest render her default skillset moot.  Still, she's a creative lady, and could perhaps connive some means to steal their courage or some such.

Chie Satonaka is good at scaring her peers, so she may have some applicable skillset here.  On the other hand, she also applied physical violence early on in her campaign of terror, so her ability to follow through on threats was already well established.

Event 35: Atelier Random

Our contestants have been kidnapped by a notorious supervillain and forced to participate in a long-term comedy of errors known as One Year in Al-Revis.  Each team of four will form their own workshop and attempt to pass all their classes, survive extra curricular, and walk away with their diplomas.  The team with the better combined GPA will win the event.

Luca Blight, Domon Kasshu, Miriel, and Professor Layton make up the first workshop.  They have all the tools they need to succeed, although a long term assignment like this does start to play to Luca's weaknesses as a teammate.

The Genie, Archer, Gilgamesh, and Yuri make up their competition.  This team slants far to the combat side, making gathering and special events a cinch, but how well they'll handle the alchemy is anyone's guess.

Event 36: Tag Teaming

In a surprisingly literal event, our contestants will pair off into teams of two for a traditional pro-wrestling style tag team matchup.  Each team will send one member into the ring, who may tag out as momentum or need dictate, until one team manages to win by pinfall or submission.  In the interest of interest, ring-outs will result in simply being warped back into the ring and 'disqualifying' events will simply subject the perpetrator to being tagged out and being unable to tag back in for several minutes.

Our first team is Snake and Ned Flanders.  Snake's a known expert in using various holds and CQC in a lethal manner, but presumably they can be adapted to not maiming people.  Ned has never displayed a talent for wrestling that I know of, but he is fantastically in shape so it could be a lot worse.

Their opponents are Lily and Bowser.  Bowser's a tough nut to crack, but Lily most likely cannot involve Whim in this contest without significant risk of disqualification, meaning Bowser's effectively on his own 95% of the time.

Event 37: Playing Cupid

Matchmaker matchmaker make me a match~  For maximum whatthefuckery, our cupids will be tasked with causing a successful and healthy hookup in a spectacularly disfunctional pseudo-relationship.  In separate and simultaneous universes of course, because interferance or building upon the work of their opponent just wouldn't be sporting.
So yeah, this match is dropping the E bomb.  Contestants will be required to make a successful and healthy relationship bloom between Shinji Ikari and Asuka Langley Soryu.

Captain Steve Rogers and Attorney Athena Cykes reporting for duty.

Short Form

Scaring Small Children- Carmen Sandiego (Eponymous) vs Chie Satonaka (Persona 4)
Atelier Random- Luca Blight (Suikoden II), Domon Kasshu (Mobile Fighter G Gundam), Miriel (Fire Emblem: Awakening) and Professor Layton (Eponymous) vs Genie (Aladdin), Archer (Fate/Stay Night), Gilgamesh (Final Fantasy V), Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia)
Tag Teamin- Solid Snake (Metal Gear Series) and Ned Flanders (The Simpsons) vs Lilianne Valendorf (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) and Bowser (Mario Series)
Playing Cupid- Steve Rogers (Marvel Comics) vs Athena Cykes (Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Tourney of Random Events: Round 3
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 03:37:59 AM »
Scaring Small Children- Carmen Sandiego (Eponymous) vs Chie Satonaka (Persona 4): Considering the kind of heists she pulls, this should be no problem whatsoever.
Atelier Random- Luca Blight (Suikoden II), Domon Kasshu (Mobile Fighter G Gundam), Miriel (Fire Emblem: Awakening) and Professor Layton (Eponymous) vs Genie (Aladdin), Archer (Fate/Stay Night), Gilgamesh (Final Fantasy V), Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia): Genie allows for way more margin of error than anything the other team has.
Tag Teamin- Solid Snake (Metal Gear Series) and Ned Flanders (The Simpsons) vs Lilianne Valendorf (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) and Bowser (Mario Series): Bowser's a heavy weight, Flanders is kind of a dead weight.  Really all that needs to be said here.
Playing Cupid- Steve Rogers (Marvel Comics) vs Athena Cykes (Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies): Athena's ability to read emotions and into people's hearts gives her a huge advantage in a match like this.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 03:49:31 AM »
Scaring Small Children- Carmen Sandiego (Eponymous) vs Chie Satonaka (Persona 4)

Gutcheck that Chie would balk at actually following through on it. Carmen, not so much.

Atelier Random- Luca Blight (Suikoden II), Domon Kasshu (Mobile Fighter G Gundam), Miriel (Fire Emblem: Awakening) and Professor Layton (Eponymous) vs Genie (Aladdin), Archer (Fate/Stay Night), Gilgamesh (Final Fantasy V), Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia)

I think Layton tilts this more then anything on raw grades. And since GPA is what matters here.....

Tag Teamin- Solid Snake (Metal Gear Series) and Ned Flanders (The Simpsons) vs Lilianne Valendorf (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) and Bowser (Mario Series)

P.sure that Bowser CAN win this single handedly.

Playing Cupid- Steve Rogers (Marvel Comics) vs Athena Cykes (Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies)

Not touching Eva mess.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 03:54:15 AM »
Scaring Small Children- Carmen Sandiego (Eponymous) vs Chie Satonaka (Persona 4): I can picture her stealing the set of Sesame Street mid-shooting or something like that. Not super-familiar with Chie so may switch to an abstain if she would be good particularly good at this.
Atelier Random- Luca Blight (Suikoden II), Domon Kasshu (Mobile Fighter G Gundam), Miriel (Fire Emblem: Awakening) and Professor Layton (Eponymous) vs Genie (Aladdin), Archer (Fate/Stay Night), Gilgamesh (Final Fantasy V), Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia): Miriel seems extremely well-qualified for alchemy school, and Layton strikes me as good at it too. Luca can handle the combat classes and is smart enough to let his underlings do their thing otherwise. The other team seems relatively hopeless at alchemy (Genie has the ability, but probably not the knowledge or patience to do well at it) and if their game is to make up their losses in the combat classes when the opposing team has Luca, well, good luck.
Tag Teamin- Solid Snake (Metal Gear Series) and Ned Flanders (The Simpsons) vs Lilianne Valendorf (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) and Bowser (Mario Series): Snake's very good at this, but Flanders seems like he'd outright refuse to participate. I can't see Lily wrestling ever but she's not above making Whim do it, so Bowser actually having an ally to call on tilts a fight I think he'd otherwise narrowly lose.

Not familiar with Steve Rogers at all.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 03:59:45 AM »
Let's be honest here, the only person Chie ever manages to really scare is Kyosuke.  Meanwhile, Carmen Sandiago can, if nothing else, take the kid's favourite stuff and then threaten to make the rest of it vanish too.  And kid LIKE their stuff.

Luca might be a problem, but I can totally see Domon having a blast keeping him in line.  And while the Genie is pretty similar to being a Mana, there's a huge difference at being naturally gifted at something, and knowing how to explain that knowledge, or even really understanding it.  Meanwhile, Miriel's kinda smart, and Layton's not only a professor, but Al-Revis style alchemy is his wheelhouse.  Both sides give a good accounting, but Layton proves decisive.

Flanders will be useless here, so the real question is whether or not Snake can take the win by himself, or if Lily or Bowser combined can take him.  I figure Bowser will go down easy, but Snake has a bad habit of falling for surprises way too often, and Lily, with her manhandling of Raze and any other targets of opportunity, strikes me as knowing just enough to prove surprisingly good at wrestling, or at least brutal, debilitating chokeholds.  So she'll get her one shot on Snake that will be just enough to take it.

The only way Athena could possibly lose this is if psychologists are banned entry from Tokyo-3.  Given the stunning mental dysfunction displayed by all members of the cast, this would not actually surprise me.

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 04:01:44 AM »
Steve Rogers is Captain America

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 04:24:56 AM »

Gutcheck that Chie would balk at actually following through on it. Carmen, not so much.

I think Layton tilts this more then anything on raw grades. And since GPA is what matters here.....

P.sure that Bowser CAN win this single handedly.

Not touching Eva mess.

Works well enough for me

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 05:11:36 AM »
Having all your supplies go missing, and being told to follow a series of clues to get it back or else fail the course, sounds reasonably scary.

LAYTON and MIRIEL on a quasi-magical school exam quest.
LAYTON and MIRIEL on a quasi-magical school exam quest.

Basically as long as they can make it so that Luca doesn't try to murder the principal they should be good.

Can Snake solo both?  Smash would indicate Snake > Bowser, sure.  Lily...  I dunno, Whim seems perfectly legal, just Lily's ice magic is out, and I can't imagine a teenage girl as a pillar of wrestling strength.  Pretty much a speedbump then, unless Whim can make a REALLY good distraction.  I can see the argument for the other side but eh.
EDIT: Stand by Snake winning something fair-ish, but sure, greater theatricality means the refs & the league will award the win to Bowser & Lily pretty much no matter what.

I'm going to ignore the Eva part, but yeah, Athena is pretty much set here for playing cupid in general.  Even is the right age for this kind of gossipy nonsense!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 05:57:54 PM by SnowFire »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 12:23:45 PM »

Short Form

Scaring Small Children- Carmen Sandiego (Eponymous) vs Chie Satonaka (Persona 4)- Carmen Sandiego is beloved by children. She's the lady who teaches them geography and lets them play video games in class! Meanwhile, Chie is a teenager. All she has to do is start talking how terrible her exams are to make them run screaming.
Atelier Random- Luca Blight (Suikoden II), Domon Kasshu (Mobile Fighter G Gundam), Miriel (Fire Emblem: Awakening) and Professor Layton (Eponymous)vs Genie (Aladdin), Archer (Fate/Stay Night), Gilgamesh (Final Fantasy V), Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia)- Genie's team is going to be bad at the academic side of this event.
Tag Teamin- Solid Snake (Metal Gear Series) and Ned Flanders (The Simpsons) vs Lilianne Valendorf (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) and Bowser (Mario Series)- To be successful in pro wrestling, you have to be a larger than life character. Lily and Bowser... well. You know.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 08:36:31 AM »

I can totally see Carmen stealing supplies and having kids follow a long list of clues to get them back.  Which the kids would enjoy more than regualr classwork.

In a straight contest, the other team has higher talent for the contest.  With Genie being an overpowered freak with broad, vaguely defined powers, a straight contest is for suckers even with two of his teammates being close to deadweight in the situation.  Edit: Layton and Miriel become godly here?  Well then...  Just for fun, the losers' reel

Genie: Kept in line by the threat of being sealed in another lamp for any illegal usage of powers.  Without his powers to cheat through exams, he's manages a solid though unspectacular B average.
Archer: Simply average.  With geniuses Layton and Miriel on the other team, it takes more than average to win.
Gilgamesh: In his eagerness to expand his weapons collection, gets caught in a trap.  In this environment, of course the staff knows plenty of tricks to keep their possessions secure.
Yuri: After being tricked into attending a social function, finds all exits are warded and guarded from escape attempts.  This cannot end well.  Also consumes a spiked drink that turns him into a woman.

The loophole will probably be plugged in future events.  For now, there's no restriction on Giga Bowser so SQUISH.

Dear god, no vote.  Creating a healthy relationship between two people who are cooperative takes quite a lot of work.  Imagining someone as dense as Shinji in a healthy relationship just seems so inconceivable.  Total fail not because of the contestants (they're competent) but that the magnitude of the task they've been challenged with takes scientific notation to fully express.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 09:07:12 AM by DragonKnight Zero »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 05:41:13 PM »
Tag Teaming: Damnit, super's right.  Snake might win a "real" wrestling match vs. those two (all that bare chest punchout vs. Liquid experience) but CK did say "pro" wrestling, not Olympic wrestling.  And I have to imagine the organizers would do pretty much everything in their power to rig it so that King Koopa and his kidnapped princess (and maid) win to stick around for more matches because damn that's a flavorful and hammy team.  So...  cheating ahoy, Snake gets smashed by a chair from the back or shot by snipers in the stands or the like.

Dragonknight Zero: Genie is pretty crazy powerful, but the entire setting of the Mana Khemia series is crazy powerful which gives Layton & Miriel various other magical entities to call upon to balance the scales some (go find the Jaffar Mana's lamp if nothing else, it's not like the Academy is averse to sending its students on incredibly dangerous dungeon raids).  And I'm presuming that some kind of pre-emptive strike of removing the opposition from play would get Genie's team expelled.

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 03:31:29 AM »
I am baffled by the number of votes that Carmen is getting here. Carmen is primarily an educational figure who teaches geography and history and whatnot. If anything, the kids will be bored by all that learning, and boredom is pretty much the polar opposite of fear. Chie has seen some really freaky stuff in the TV world and encountered plenty of frightening monsters (not to mention chasing down and catching a goddamn serial killer), so I'm sure she can muster a scary story or two that will spook the impressionable younglings.

Genie is a dynamo for his team here, but Miriel and Layton are dynamos for their team as well. Two dynamos are more than one. Math. Their biggest challenge will probably be keeping Luca on the right track, but I'm sure they can manage.

Snake might be able to whoop Bowser consistently in Smash Bros., but in a real-world wrestling match, neither Snake nor Flanders will have any way to reliably damage the hulking armored spiky turtle monster who breathes fire and has claws and teeth the size of garden trowels. The only disadvantage I can possibly see for the Lily/Bowser team is Lily getting distracted by stupid sexy Flanders and his skintight spandex (it's like he's wearing nothin' at all). If you want to go the scripted storyline pro wrestling route, I cannot see Flanders being anything other than a jobber or a comedy relief character. Bowser, meanwhile, is the monster heel that they're trying to push for Summerslam, so he needs to demolish a couple hapless jabronis along the way so the fans will view him as a legitimate threat to the world heavyweight championship. (And, uh, Lily is along for the ride, I guess.)

Well, the Ace Attorney wiki says that Athena is an expert at analytical psychology, which sounds like it would really come in handy during this challenge. Captain Amurrika seems a bit out of his element here, and I can't see a compelling reason to believe that he would be good at this.

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 11:22:56 PM »
And you know what else? Children are afraid of monsters, and Chie has the ability to summon an actual monster.

It boggles my mind that Chie is losing this match.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 11:39:20 PM »
You seem to have Carmen Sandiego the game confused with Carmen Sandiego the character? In-setting, she isn't an educator; she's a thief. She steals stuff. Ridiculous, over-the-top stuff. Their favourite TV characters, all the world's ice cream, etc.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 03:26:25 AM »
To be sure, if CK hadn't mentioned the bit about "don't actually harm the kids directly" and Chie is seen as willing to act out of character for the sake of winning, she'd have a pretty good argument - kidnap the kids one by one and throw them in the TV, Adachi style, and encourage the rest of the class to tune into the Midnight Channel to watch their friends slowly starve to death while cowering from evil shadow monsters lurking around the corner.  Who will be next?  That seems more terrifying than an out-of-character Carmen doing something similar with a stolen gun.

However, aside from the "Chie acting wildly out of character" bit, this is restricted to less deadly forms of scaring kids, which is definitely for the best.

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2014, 11:13:21 PM »
You seem to have Carmen Sandiego the game confused with Carmen Sandiego the character? In-setting, she isn't an educator; she's a thief. She steals stuff. Ridiculous, over-the-top stuff. Their favourite TV characters, all the world's ice cream, etc.

Which would upset the kids, sure, but being upset is not the same as being afraid.

To be sure, if CK hadn't mentioned the bit about "don't actually harm the kids directly" and Chie is seen as willing to act out of character for the sake of winning, she'd have a pretty good argument - kidnap the kids one by one and throw them in the TV, Adachi style, and encourage the rest of the class to tune into the Midnight Channel to watch their friends slowly starve to death while cowering from evil shadow monsters lurking around the corner.  Who will be next?  That seems more terrifying than an out-of-character Carmen doing something similar with a stolen gun.

However, aside from the "Chie acting wildly out of character" bit, this is restricted to less deadly forms of scaring kids, which is definitely for the best.

...except she doesn't actually have to do any of this to win the match. She could just, you know, do the things I mentioned in my previous two posts to easily win the match without harming the children or doing anything out-of-character.

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2014, 02:57:25 AM »
Do they ever actually summon monsters outside of the TVs?  I mean, the P3 crew can summon outside of Tartarus, but they've got specialized equipment made by a megacorp to do specifically that.  Also, Chie's persona doesn't really look like a monster.  Chie herself is also manifestly unscary unless your name is Yosuke.

Again, pit this up against a master thief who can take some of the things you like, and then threaten to take the rest?  No contest.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2014, 04:51:11 AM »
Short Form

Scaring Small Children- Carmen Sandiego (Eponymous)- iiiiii vs Chie Satonaka (Persona 4)- iii
Atelier Random- Luca Blight (Suikoden II), Domon Kasshu (Mobile Fighter G Gundam), Miriel (Fire Emblem: Awakening) and Professor Layton (Eponymous)- iiiiiiii vs Genie (Aladdin), Archer (Fate/Stay Night), Gilgamesh (Final Fantasy V), Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia)- i
Tag Teamin- Solid Snake (Metal Gear Series) and Ned Flanders (The Simpsons) vs Lilianne Valendorf (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) and Bowser (Mario Series)- iiiiiiiii
Playing Cupid- Steve Rogers (Marvel Comics) vs Athena Cykes (Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies)- iiii
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.