Author Topic: Tourney of Random Events Round 5  (Read 892 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Tourney of Random Events Round 5
« on: June 02, 2014, 08:52:24 PM »
Event 39- Being Charlie Brown

The art of the loser is more complicated than it seems.  To be Charlie Brown, you must not only fail, but make it natural, fail and make everyone believe you were always going to fail and will always fail.

Ms. Lily was born with a silver spoon, and is used to rigging the game in her favor.  On the other hand, her ability to sabotage herself is unparalleled, so her ability in this match is not to be underestimated.

Athena Cykes is a defense attorney in the Phoenix Wright universe.  Is there a way to be more Charlie Brown?

Event 40- Calvinball

The sport of all children, rules made up on the fly and known only to the players, never to be recorded.

Luca Blight and Bowser are both villains used to changing the rules to suit them.  Both should excel, so it comes down to who's faster on the ball.

Short Form

Being Charlie Brown- Lilianne Valendorf (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Athena Cykes (Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies)
Calvinball- Luca Blight (Suikoden II) vs Bowser (Mario Series)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Tourney of Random Events Round 5
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 09:06:29 PM »
Being Charlie Brown- Lilianne Valendorf (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Athena Cykes (Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies)- Her entire relationship with Raze is being Charlie Brown, and it's glorious.
Calvinball- Luca Blight (Suikoden II) vs Bowser (Mario Series)- http://th02.deviantart.net/fs50/PRE/f/2009/262/c/4/c481e48ce7450f10ef3c3700846a6402.jpg Civ5.jpg: It's not just for Civilization any more! Putting in a bloodythirsty psychopath in a game with no rules is going to lead to a really high body count, sadly for Bowser.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 07:39:23 PM »
Being Charlie Brown- Lilianne Valendorf (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Athena Cykes (Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies)- Deciding factor for me, Lily's charlie brown moments are largely self-inflicted.  Athena gets it from everyone.

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 08:09:50 PM »
Being Charlie Brown- Lilianne Valendorf (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Athena Cykes (Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies)
Kneejerk.  More likely to be believable

No rules?  This will be bloody.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 09:16:48 PM »
No vote.  Seems like a close match but I'd need to have actually played MK2 to be sure, for all that I'm pretty familiar with Lily.
Not sure what everyone else is going on about, both of these players are pretty *bad* at Calvinball.  Winning Calvinball requires creativity, and Luca has a one-track mind about slaughtering piggies, and Bowser has a one-track mind about kidnapping princesses and stashing them in castles.  So...  this is probably just a slugfest, although not really a high body count one, Calvin & Hobbes just seem to get covered with dirt & scratches.  Well..  Luca does have a flaming sword, and one of Bowser's classic weaknesses is to being shot with fireballs a lot, so I suppose I'll go with the crowd.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 10:53:57 PM »
Just going with the crowd on this one.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 03:33:01 AM »
Huh, looks like I'm going to be going against the crowd this week.

Of the five people, including Edgeworth, who sit in the defense bench, Athena has it, by far, the best.  It helps that she's only in the hot seat for a couple of cases and is up against the relatively sane Blackquill (the second best person to Edgeworth, though Klavier does have an argument.  That said, the witnesses Klavier is paired up with more than make up for this).  I mean, hell, Edgeworth only has half a case as a defense attourney, but his half a case is interrogating Larry Butz and opposing the whip happy Franciska von Karma.  Meanwhile, sure, a lot of Lily's suffering is self inflicted, but let's be honest.  So is a decent chunk of Charlie Brown's suffering.  I mean, he knows he's never going to kick that football, but he keeps trying anyways because of futile hope. 

Sure, this is all about creativity, and sure, neither of these people really have it.  But let's be honest, Luca really only ever does the one thing, whereas Bowser's not only survived being the butt monkey of the Mario Universe which is strange and zany enough to rub off on anyone.  But he's also got all those experiences from Smashing, Karting, and Partying; the last of which if you toss it into a blender is basically Calvinball Light.  So, Bowser's got experience which gives him the clear edge.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 03:45:39 AM »
Huh, looks like I'm going to be going against the crowd this week.

Of the five people, including Edgeworth, who sit in the defense bench, Athena has it, by far, the best.  It helps that she's only in the hot seat for a couple of cases and is up against the relatively sane Blackquill (the second best person to Edgeworth, though Klavier does have an argument.  That said, the witnesses Klavier is paired up with more than make up for this).  I mean, hell, Edgeworth only has half a case as a defense attourney, but his half a case is interrogating Larry Butz and opposing the whip happy Franciska von Karma.  Meanwhile, sure, a lot of Lily's suffering is self inflicted, but let's be honest.  So is a decent chunk of Charlie Brown's suffering.  I mean, he knows he's never going to kick that football, but he keeps trying anyways because of futile hope. 

Sure, this is all about creativity, and sure, neither of these people really have it.  But let's be honest, Luca really only ever does the one thing, whereas Bowser's not only survived being the butt monkey of the Mario Universe which is strange and zany enough to rub off on anyone.  But he's also got all those experiences from Smashing, Karting, and Partying; the last of which if you toss it into a blender is basically Calvinball Light.  So, Bowser's got experience which gives him the clear edge.

I'm straight up with Excal on both of these.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 03:50:40 AM »
Dunno the first match so won't pretend to!

Bowser > Luca Blight simply based on the logic that Bowser comes from a universe where NOTHING makes sense, meaning he's sort of prepared for anything.  Logic is only a hindrance in Calvinball.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 04:22:50 AM »
Being Charlie Brown- Lilianne Valendorf (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy)- iii vs Athena Cykes (Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies)- ii
Calvinball- Luca Blight (Suikoden II)- iiiii vs Bowser (Mario Series)- iii