Author Topic: Shift Tourney 2: Nominations  (Read 795 times)

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Shift Tourney 2: Nominations
« on: August 31, 2014, 08:21:24 PM »
The normal CKDL is still on break for a bit, and I'm bored this Labor Day weekend, so a normal-ish tournament to fill the interim…  the return of the Shift Tourney.  Heavy is the best division, with a ton of interesting characters with skillsets who deserve to get in a lot, but there's only 16 slots in your average CKDL tourney.  Tsk!  This is an excuse to run an extra Heavy tourney for all those popular main characters & the like who populate Heavy & nearby.  It's also a chance for characters to shine who are normally jobbers in their own division, especially Low Godlike (fear the Altima & Luther hax), since the DL structure means that losers normally only get 1 match and then get shuffled off-stage.

As with the original Shift Tourney, this is mostly a 'standard' tourney with two twists.  The first is that divisions are shifted by a half-step:  High Middle + Low Heavy = "Heroes", High Heavy + Low Godlike = "Demigods", and a mini-tournament for High Godlikes as "Divinities".  Just chop each division in half, so characters near the "middle" of the division are the new borderliners, and characters who were once on the edge upgrading & downgrading between 'em are in the center.  You can get a rough feel for which is which by "does this character usually lose out in round 1, or do they usually make it to round 2 or farther."

The second twist, unlike the previous Shift Tourney: if you'd like, you can specify a form/game for a character.  Examples: PC Magus (CT), Boss Yuri (SH1), Seymour 1 [Macalania Temple] (FFX), Rydia (FF4DS), a specific generation for a Pokemon, etc.  Please do not go too crazy with this, 'any form is fine' should still be the default, but this should hopefully add a bit of spice to the proceedings.  We'll see how it works; not sure if this is a good change or a bad one, but only one way to find out.  (A notable example of what does NOT apply to the above: specific character interps, e.g. "Rikku w/ Common Steals" or "XS2 Shion w/ Erde Kaiser."  Don't do that.)

Rules:
1) Use the CKDL Ranked List.  Any nomination must have a stat topic entry.  Per the above, you may optionally specify a form [but please don't use specific forms too often].
2) Nominate up to 4 characters in Heroes & Demigods.  Nominate up to 2 characters in Divinities.
3) You may additionally nominate 1 unranked character*, total, as an extra to one of the 3 divisions.  For example, it'd be legal to nominate 4 Heroes, 5 Demigods, & 2 Divinities if the unranked character was a Demigod.  (But not 5/5/3.)  Use common sense.  Stat topic entry still required, of course.
4) If any character is nominated by more than 1 person, they automatically get in.  I'll randomly roll the rest.

I'll try and get most of the nominated characters in.  If turnout is large, there'll be a 32 / 32 / 16 split; if turnout is small it'll be 16/16/8.

* Usual disclaimer that I reserve the right to zot any nominations (matters more for unranked obscura characters) though hopefully that won't happen.  Please don't nominate unranked games with very low playership, e.g. <5 players.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Shift Tourney 2: Nominations
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 08:23:21 PM »
It's been a year & a half so feel free to nominate characters from the previous tourney if you'd like.  However, for characters that made the finals, they've had their fun already, so to ensure some new blood:

The following characters are ineligible to be nominated in Divinities:
Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World), TimeLord (Saga Frontier)

The following characters are ineligible to be nominated in Demigods:
Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II), Altima (Final Fantasy Tactics), Ryu Bateson (Breath of Fire 2), Luther Lansfeld (Star Ocean 3)

The following characters are ineligible to be nominated in Heroes:
Lilka (Wild Arms 2), Momo (Breath of Fire 3), Lazlo (Suikoden IV), Klein (Atelier Iris)

If you want to give Lilka a try in Demigods, go nuts, of course.  Also, please avoid genuine Bluelikes in Divinities…  I have a sneaking suspicion that they might get their own stage soon enough anyway.

If you're curious for ideas: Nominations, Week 1, & Week 2, for duelers who got in last time.
http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=6327.0
http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=6332.0
http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=6334.0

Old DL ranking list:
http://www.rpgdl.com/tournament/rankings.php?mode=char_game&order=ASC

Per Dark Holy Elf:
Median of Godlike: 4.68
Median of Heavy: 3.99

Take the old ranks with a grain of salt, and note that promotions were bugged in the last season so there's a few out-of-place characters, and it obviously won't be helpful for games ranked since ~2010.  So it goes.  Ask here / in-chat if you're unsure or want suggestions on which division to stick a dueler in!

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 08:26:50 PM »
Divinities
Apocrypha (RH), Dragon Emperor (SD3)

Demigods
Purim (/ Primm??) (SoM), Levin (WAXF), Eirika (FE8), Kurando (SH2)

Heroes
Angelo (DQ8), Cherche (FEA), Cecil (FF4), Leo (Lunar 2), EDIT: Joshua (Trails)

Cecil, well, we'll see if he can redeem himself after a pretty sorry Proving Grounds showing against Middle.  Gave him a White Knight for companionship in the slow holy tanky healers club.

Purim was in last time but got owned in the first round; she always seemed a classic borderliner to me, too haxy for Heavy but unlikely to make things happen in Godlike.  I blame the iOS port giving her a new name.  Threw in some more fun borderliner PCs, too.

Dragon Emperor is a total headache so I'll be happy to swap him out if people complain, but he feels a bit cheaty in normal Godlike yet not Blue-like powered.  I figure this is one of the rare tournies he's interesting in, plus I'm not sure he's EVER been in anything despite having a big stat topic entry.

I'll edit in an unranked character later, have a few ideas but unsure which one to go with.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 02:52:46 AM by SnowFire »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 09:48:45 PM »
Even more helpful than checking the old ranks, it can be handy to check the old records of duellers. If someone went 1-3 in Heavy they're probably a Hero, if they were 5-2 they're probably a Demigod. etc. Obviously take this with a grain of salt, too; someone may have just gotten lucky or unlucky.

Also yay this is back, I'll throw in my noms later.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 12:20:04 AM »
Divinities:

Zophar (Lunar:EBC),  Genocide Heart (SaGa)

Demigods:

Aya Brea (PE1), Lamington (Disgaea), Fogel (OB), Claude (SO2)

Heroes:

Justin (G1),  Guy (FE7),  Adachi (Pers4),  Crono (CT)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 12:53:26 AM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 12:29:15 AM »
Edge went 5-2 in Heavy so is probably too good for Heroes.

Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 08:14:03 PM »
Divinities

Orphan (FFXIII), Depth Dragoon (MMXCM)

Demigods

Billy Lee Black (XG), Emily Bell (S3), Killer (SH3), Gau (FF6)
*Arcanist (BD)

Heroes

Oracle (FFT), MOMO Mizrahi (XS3), Mizuki (S4), Maria Traydor (SO3)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 12:44:04 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 08:56:42 PM »
Divinities

Piastol (SoA), Jenna Angel (DDS)

Demigods

Ness (EB), Tibarn(FEs), Jack van Burace (WA1), Worker 8 (FFT)

Heroes

Belcoot (S5), Lucian (VP1), Yosuke (P4), Albert Serdio (LoD)
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 06:37:59 AM »
I'm nomming a few repeats from last time, I realised halfway through this. Oh well. Nobody who went far, though.

Divinities

Emelious de Pamela (G3) - Mwahahahahaha! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!
Yuna (FFX) - Fanboy pick.

Demigod

Sir Leopold (DQ4) - Doglike. And clearly in this area.
Kary (FF1) - More high heavy bosses.
Celes Chere (FF6) - Duh.
Shania (SH3) - Yeah she's probably bottom half, that 0-4 record was rough.

Heroes

Tharja (FEA) - Draining (but not uber draining) + elements + Tomebreaker is interesting for FE.
Rune Walsh (PS4) - He lost first round last time? He can definitely do better.
Gen (Saga Frontier) - What can I say, I enjoy his translation from in-game.
Lawfer (VP1) - Dat turn 2 overkill.
*Arumat P. Thanatos (SO4) - He's pure offence and only 3HKOs, but he has enough variety in it (range, speed) to be interesting.

Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 05:44:45 AM »
Will probably close out noms on Sunday night, so this is the day-and-a-half warning or so.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 05:30:43 PM »
Divinities:
Elc (AtL2): *goes to put him in Demigods, sees he is like 5.1* Wait what?
Loki (VP): Mad god. Less annoying than Kefka.

Demigods:
Lilka (WA2): She did really well in Heroes, wonder what she can do here, if anything.
Clarissa (WA:XF): She'll EXPLAIN IT ALL via Sacrificial offerings.
Alicia (VP2): She champed Heavy, right. Heh.
Arnaud (WA2): Tide-bait.
*UNRANKED*: Cress Albane (Tales of Phantasia): Bad puns.

Heroes:
Ashley Winchester (WA2): Gratuitous overkill! Maybe!
Noa (Legaia): Status whore ^_^
Jude Maverick (WA4): Neat speed game.
Vyse (Skies of Arcadia: Legends): Because I couldn't nom his Valkyria Chronicles form.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 06:13:43 PM »
Divinities: Loki (VP1), Avalon (LoL2)
Demigods: Tibarn (FEs), Magus (CT), Nel Zelpher (SO3), Asellus (SaGa)
Heroes: Basilio (FEA), Rune Walsh (PS4), Odie (SN), Cait Sith (FF7), *Katsuya Suou*(P2:EP)
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!