Author Topic: Good morning 2015: Creative topic title goes here.  (Read 27292 times)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: Good morning 2015: Creative topic title goes here.
« Reply #326 on: November 04, 2015, 08:37:35 PM »
Stop stealing my jokes.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 04, 2015, 08:45:40 PM »
Stop stealing my jokes.

He's told you multiple times how to get him to stop.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 05, 2015, 01:07:29 PM »
So, I don't see a lot of the impact of my job. In part because working in public schools seems to by default have you see a lot of students fall through the cracks, in part because once students graduate I never hear from them again, and in part  because in the JET program you're but a very miniscule piece of the enormous bureaucratic structure that is the Japanese public education system.

But today, I got a text message from one of my former students telling me he made it into a student exchange program with a secondary school in Australia. Damn proud of that kid. To be perfectly honest he probably would be a success regardless of who his teachers are, but it regardless it is damn good to hear about one of my former kids succeeding.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 05, 2015, 01:14:33 PM »
Everytime I hear one of these stories I want to write letters to my worst former teachers to tell them they were terrible and why.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: November 05, 2015, 02:17:08 PM »
Everytime I hear one of these stories I want to write letters to my worst former teachers to tell them they were terrible and why.

Hahaha you honestly should. Either they're still young and insecure enough that it may make them re-evaluate their methodology (or quit), so it's a win, or if it is far too late in their careers that doing so would never alter the way they teach and have an impact on future kids who have to put up with their shit, you'll at the very least get to be a vindictive shithead, so it is like a win.

Sometimes being a vindictive shithead is all you can really hope for.

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 05, 2015, 02:33:39 PM »

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 05, 2015, 06:27:55 PM »
So my dad just died. We saw it coming, he's been sick for years(I've prolly posted about it before). I'm...alright? Feeling guilty about not feeling worse, I guess. A bit numb, but otherwise okay. I guess when I got on the plane to come up here on tuesday I kinda expected it to happen while I was visiting. He was waiting to see me again, since we haven't seen eachother in years.

May not be around for awhile, though. Dunno what is gonna be done about services/family gatherings/etc, may have to extend my stay out here, and getting internet time is dicey.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 05, 2015, 06:59:49 PM »
Very sorry to hear it, Gate.  You have my condolences.

Don't worry about whether you're feeling what you should be feeling.  People have different ways of processing grief.  Your feelings will sort themselves out in due time.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 05, 2015, 08:28:24 PM »
Yeah never let other people's approach to grief impact yours.  The right way to handle it is whatever works for you.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 05, 2015, 10:48:58 PM »
Rough stuff, man. I wish you and your family the best.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 06, 2015, 09:25:32 AM »
Geez, that's rough Gate. Condolences and all, take care.
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 06, 2015, 01:08:25 PM »
Man that sucks, Gate. Sorry to hear it. Don't worry too much how you're "supposed" to feel. You'll feel how you feel and there's not really a right answer to grief.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 06, 2015, 09:47:36 PM »
Thanks all.

Yeah, there's some disconnect between me and his wife especially(not my mother, they divorced when I was like...5), about...well, about mementos. Things like stuff I sent him when I was a kid that were super important to him...don't mean anything to me. I was too young to remember it now. And even if I did, I'm not one to get hung up on physical mementos to remind me of a person. But I guess my lack of enthusiasm about that stuff makes it seem like I don't care or something. Which isn't true at all.

I could pretend it's important to me, but...that's not how I do things. And you know, that's not how my dad did things either. And there are things that are important to me. His cookbook, the one he wrote, filled with recipes of his own creation and ones he gathered from years of travelling and trading recipes with fantastic cooks? That matters. I will think of him when I cook those meals, or when I share the book with others(which is something he wanted people to do). If the expense of getting them out to CA isn't too much, his Forgotten Realms book collection. It's an interest we actually shared, a world and characters we both care about.

But a handprint I sent him when I was 6? Some old school pictures of myself? They were important to him, but they mean nothing to me. And someone else's emotional attachment to a thing alone doesn't spark some kind of connection with me unless I have another reason to care about it too. It's the common threads that matter to me. He cooked, I cook, when I use his cookbook it means something. He read, I read, when I read one of the books he's had for years and loved it means something.

I wanted to have that handprint(the thing she was most upset I didn't want) to my mother instead. I know she's the one who actually framed it and put the little poem on the paper and sent it to him. To her, that would be a keepsake of my childhood AND a memento of my father. To me...it's a piece of paper. She about flipped her lid(note: I did not ask HER to send that. I asked my aunt who is here, and she's the one who let it slip to my dad's widow that I was wanting that sent to my mother).

I tried to explain my reasoning here, which...well, my aunt understood thankfully. But my stepmother is the grieving widow right now, and me not feeling the way she expected and wanted me to feel was...very clearly hurtful to her. Which I don't want to or mean to be. But I'm not going to lie about my feelings either.

Hopefully this makes some kind of sense. I'm not sure if I'm actually clearheaded right now or just think that I am. Didn't sleep well last night for obvious reasons.
<%Laggy> no not really.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 07, 2015, 11:31:41 PM »
It makes perfect sense, and good on you for cutting the woman a lot of slack for how she's treating you, which is admittedly really bad. She's in an awful place right now.

Of course you don't care about those kind of mementos. They're his memories of you, not the other way around. Who has their own childhood handprint? Your dad had stuff that reminded him of you because he loved you, and you want stuff that reminds you of your dad because you loved him. You can't really take back a memento.

So yeah, everything you say makes sense. Maybe you're clearheaded and maybe not. Maybe it's both. Vent all you need and know that whatever else you may need, we're here for you and in your corner.

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 08, 2015, 08:37:42 AM »
Makes sense to me, Gate.  I'm sensing someone upset because you follow what's true to you rather than her scripts.  Kudos to you for approaching the situation with compassion.

VSM has already stated anything else I'd say on the matter so I'll skip repeating it.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #341 on: November 10, 2015, 02:48:31 PM »
Personally, I'm just impressed everything you write is still so well-worded despite the conflicting emotions. I was pretty moved by what you just wrote. Perhaps this is a good time to try writing some prose? Might help you work through it all, too.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 11, 2015, 08:40:08 PM »
Hahahahaha. Thanks man. My ability to actually give physical descriptions of things(my biggest weakness as a writer imo) gets even worse when I'm like this though. Tried it before.

Anyway, back home for...a couple weeksish, then off to family gathering for thanksgiving and to scatter the ashes in the colorado mountains like he wanted. At least I'm not cooking the meal this year, one of my aunts deals with her own stress by basically taking over and organizing everything, and I'm perfectly willing to just let her.
<%Laggy> no not really.

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 17, 2015, 08:31:57 PM »
I don't remember if there are any Chicago people here but if so, does anyone have any food recommendations? I'm going to a conference that's around the Magnificent Mile.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 17, 2015, 10:05:57 PM »
My grandma passed away this morning. I'm headed back home on Friday for the funeral.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: November 17, 2015, 10:30:48 PM »
Good luck and be well <3

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 17, 2015, 11:05:04 PM »
I don't remember if there are any Chicago people here but if so, does anyone have any food recommendations? I'm going to a conference that's around the Magnificent Mile.

There aren't, oddly. However, I've visited a few times, and I have a couple of foodie friends who have visited MORE. If you'd like, I could ask them for a recommendation.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 17, 2015, 11:44:25 PM »
Condolences, Ciato. Hope the healing goes well.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 18, 2015, 12:04:23 AM »

Portillo's Hot Dogs was great. Was surprised how awesome the place was. If you're a beer guy, Miller's Pub is also worth a stop. It's by the Art Museum at the Palmer House hotel. The French dip is also super good there, even if you're not into beer.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 18, 2015, 12:36:09 AM »
My friend recommends one of the Giordano's if you are offended by the phrase "Pizza Pie" and would rather eat a Pizza Cake.

Or a place called Wildfire if you don't mind pricey.