Author Topic: Good morning 2015: Creative topic title goes here.  (Read 27305 times)

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Good morning 2015: Creative topic title goes here.
« Reply #375 on: December 09, 2015, 06:01:14 PM »

My small family, and Andrew's small family, means that there are very few big events. His only sibling is a lesbian, mine is a failure to launch. Most of our grandparents passed over 10 years ago. So... No deaths, no births; no weddings, divorces, moves, job changes. Friends' lives changing in a big way is hard to handle.

Yeah, friends' lives do impact yours. I hope the bumps smooth out quickly.

I most certainly don't need to say that everyone's life moves at different paces. But since I just typed that, I want to reiterate that the big 30 is also generally awesome for women: sexual prime, more career experiences, hopefully friend circles with more maturity, etc. Next year will be thirty-onederful. Here's to finding your peace in your newest decade. :]

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 09, 2015, 09:28:00 PM »
I spent the couple of years leading up to 30 kinda dreading it, since I'd be 30 and still in school.  Then I turned 30 and it was kinda meh.  Then I turned 30 and one day and I wondered what the big fuss had been.  In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 09, 2015, 09:45:26 PM »
I forgot to post this, but Ash took me to see KAMELOT (and Dragonforce I guess) in San Jose over the weekend before she left.

It is pretty much everything a metal concert was expected to be. Defeaning music, some moshing (though not much, small venue), lotta crowd surfing, and such. Piled pretty close to the front of the stage (like three mashed bodies away from it) so I may have touched Sean Tibbetts. Crowd was mostly great. Like, everyone was super friendly, hyper excited, and such. Though seriously, if you want to crowd surf, don't be like, the 10th person to do it. That shit is tiring and gets harder and harder to not drop someone >_>

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 09, 2015, 10:47:41 PM »
30 is just as disappointing as 28 and 29, 31 is much the same.

The worst of it is the day before it because you know it is dumb but your brain still regrets all the things that never happened because your brain is stupid.  At least mine was.  Busy busy busy.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 09, 2015, 11:46:00 PM »
As I recall, the days immediately following my 30th birthday were indeed filled with regret, but a concrete "I regret not starting my 30-page term paper earlier" kind of regret, not a generalized ennui sort.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 10, 2015, 06:44:48 AM »
Well that's probably because you are the correct amount of chemically unbalanced.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #381 on: December 10, 2015, 07:21:50 AM »
I bought another gun when I turned 30, but that's because I figure that by the time I'm 40 the entire system will have collapsed and I want to make sure people will Witness Me

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 10, 2015, 05:51:33 PM »
I'm holding onto the fantasy of sexy30s as I turn 28 this Saturday.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 10, 2015, 09:40:21 PM »
 8-) Just got back from a vacation to Maui. I had a great time, even if it mostly just involved hanging out on the beach, reading about Hawaiian history, and eating lots of pineapple and coconut. The weather has been absolutely horrible in Vancouver so it's been a bit of a shock to the system to come back to, but that's life.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 10, 2015, 10:00:32 PM »
"even if?"

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 10, 2015, 10:46:16 PM »
So I've had a toothache for a week and I went to the dentist and they immediately told me to go to oral surgery because the wisdom teeth I had removed impacted another molar which was basically a giant cavity. I went in for the quickest tooth extraction of all time. It literally took like 20 seconds. They asked what music I wanted to listen to and I said Janelle Monae, and they got to the first riff of Q.U.E.E.N. before it was over.  I'm annoyed that the surgeons, who had seen my xrays and must have seen that cavity, didn't tell me about it or else I would have had it all removed during the wisdom tooth removal. Hopefully this was the cause of those chronic headaches I was getting and now that it's removed it will be fine. We'll see. I'll placebo effect the shit out of it at any rate.

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 17, 2015, 07:52:02 PM »
The end is nigh! I am almost ready to start complaining about a new job.

Offer in hand for one, wrapping up interviews with another. Either way, I'm 99% sure I'll be somewhere new early next year. The relief I feel is palpable.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 17, 2015, 09:38:11 PM »

Offer in hand for one, wrapping up interviews with another. Either way, I'm 99% sure I'll be somewhere new early next year. The relief I feel is palpable.

Awesome!

p.s. I would like you to compare and contrast this statement with your comments re: adulthood.  You're so there.

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 17, 2015, 10:21:28 PM »

Awesome!

p.s. I would like you to compare and contrast this statement with your comments re: adulthood.  You're so there.
this.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 17, 2015, 10:48:29 PM »

Awesome!

this.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: December 18, 2015, 12:45:34 AM »
I've spent a couple of years after a very hard breakup trying to transition from being the biggest nerd in hiding to become some way more desirable cool human. It has been an interesting experience.
The basic ideas were: Getting a cool job, more closer better friends, more social activites (= drinking), roommates, more books/concerts/movies, one weekly sport activity, one weekly artsy hipster douchebag activity.

Notes:
- Talking in general has become much easier and more interesting, I had just never lvld that skill up as a kid
- I almost never feel alienated now, except at the club, incidentally fuck (most) clubs
- I have gone from full hermit mode to somebody who doesn't even like being alone for one evening / week
- I feel like I have lost a charming intangible part of me that's just almost gone now except when I make those weird observations/tangents no one else would make
- Indoor climbing is awesome
- The need to play terrible NES RPGs sometimes resurfaces

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 18, 2015, 03:12:11 AM »
- The need to play terrible NES RPGs sometimes resurfaces

I was worried for a minute there.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 18, 2015, 04:25:10 AM »
Congrats, Fenrir. It's a nice change to make, feeling like you're capable of navigating socialization situations.

Also, clubs are terrible unless you go with the express purpose of ignoring everyone around you and dancing like your father never let you. I do wish there were venues for Jackass Dancing that didn't involve everything else that comes along with clubbing though.

Incidentally I am on like the opposite swing on Fenrir's pendulum after spending my first few years on JET doing the same. But now I basically never go out anymore, like once or twice a month, and when I do I find myself wishing I had just stayed in and recharged. I think a large part of this is just being fed up with where I'm living and in need of moving onto the next phase of my life.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 18, 2015, 12:08:16 PM »
I'll third the fuck clubbing vote.

And I'm making the same mistakes with the same person I did three years ago myself, because I am a complete idiot who does not learn.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 18, 2015, 01:42:01 PM »

Awesome!

Yes. Grats, Ashley.

I'm getting old. I've been shuffling through doctors for routine check-ups at an alarming pace. At least, the blood and hormone tests all had pretty stellar results.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 18, 2015, 02:20:51 PM »
Congrats, Fenrir. It's a nice change to make, feeling like you're capable of navigating socialization situations.

Also, clubs are terrible unless you go with the express purpose of ignoring everyone around you and dancing like your father never let you. I do wish there were venues for Jackass Dancing that didn't involve everything else that comes along with clubbing though.

Incidentally I am on like the opposite swing on Fenrir's pendulum after spending my first few years on JET doing the same. But now I basically never go out anymore, like once or twice a month, and when I do I find myself wishing I had just stayed in and recharged. I think a large part of this is just being fed up with where I'm living and in need of moving onto the next phase of my life.

I agree but since clubs almost alwayd have terrible music, concerts are better for that.
I always hate that time during parties when everybody wants to go to the club

So why don't you go out anymore? Is that social alination almost every european/american feels from living in Japan catching up with you?

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 18, 2015, 03:01:14 PM »

I agree but since clubs almost alwayd have terrible music, concerts are better for that.
I always hate that time during parties when everybody wants to go to the club

True that. Concerts are amazing for that, though I dunno. The vibe's different. Concerts and music festivals are all about the music, while I feel like whatever enjoyment I get from clubbing comes not from the music but from dancing. Music and dancing are integral parts of both but have different weights depending on the venue, if that makes sense.

So why don't you go out anymore? Is that social alination almost every european/american feels from living in Japan catching up with you?

The short of it is basically that. The long of it, ... this is going to sound terrible but I'm pretty much done interacting with modern Japanese culture for now. There are brief, wonderful, beautiful glimpses of humanity, usually with people who feel alienated from their own culture to begin with, when I'm talking with coworkers or other young people while out on the town where I'll have a conversation where it's just two people talking about whatever like we're human beings, but the vast majority of the time when speaking to Japanese people it feels like I'm talking to someone going through a list of Bioware dialogue options.

"Oh, it's cold, isn't it.
>How do you say that in English?
>Which is colder, Japan or [insert country here, but they probably assume you're from America anyway]?
>Yeah Japan really gets cold around this time of year.
>Please don't catch a cold."

"Hello. Where are you from?
>Why did you come to Japan?
>How long will you be in Japan?
>Oh, you speak Japanese very well!
>Oh, you use chopsticks very well!
>Do you want a Japanese girlfriend?
>Please teach me English."

All of these are conversations I've had in real life. Half are conversations I've had this week, and none of them were the first time having them. There's only so many times I can be the NPC in their asinine dialogue tree before I just give up on interacting with them altogether. It would be one thing if it was just my coworkers running me through these gauntlets, but even after developing conversational competence in their language the brief (but very, very glorious and refreshing) times I can engage with people off of the beaten path of these dialogue options are so few and far inbetween that I've resigned myself to biding my time until I can briefly go home to visit my family then move on (probably to Poland, then potentially Germany? My prospects for living in new cultures is actually really exciting!... to inject some positivity into a very negative rant)

Of course, there's small talk in every language and culture, and I can't really articulate why the sort of smalltalk in Japan bothers me even more than it does in the US, and I think a large part of that is just cultural fatigue. I've spent too much time in this place and I'm losing the pleasure I used to have in small joys and finding it replaced with biting cynicism.

I wondered, briefly, if I was just tuning out socially altogether, but the last two times I went home I was more social than I ever was before I left, so there's definitely something going on with my relationship to this culture. I need to leave, so I can come back and love it again (or at least, leverage my competency in the language to sell my labor and not feel terrible about it).

But, yeah, you're basically right. It's social alienation that every capital-W Western person feels after living here for too long. Which in itself is a good growing experience for reasons I'm too drunk to articulate at the moment, mostly regarding how it feels to be part of a minority group when in the US I've only ever been part of the majority group. But yeah. That whole thing is why.

EDIT: PS Congrats Ashley on the new job, hopefully you hate it less (or it has a higher salary).

P.P.S. Super what are these mistakes with people I've never heard of before. Tell me your gossip, and also your dreams.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 03:10:07 PM by Makkotah »

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 18, 2015, 05:05:36 PM »
I bought a new computer about a month ago. Already it can barely watch videos because it is constantly about to crash it seems, and the left side of the keyboard keeps not working. I filed a return form on November 29th but all I've received is an email saying that someone will call me at some point. How helpful.

This is the second time in a row that I have opted to get a more expensive but more functional (?) computer and it has been dogshit terrible. I might just pick up a Mac laptop instead if this return actually works and they don't try to foist another computer on me instead.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 18, 2015, 05:42:45 PM »
You say

I've spent a couple of years after a very hard breakup trying to transition from being the biggest nerd in hiding to become some way more desirable cool human. It has been an interesting experience.
The basic ideas were: Getting a cool job, more closer better friends, more social activites (= drinking), roommates, more books/concerts/movies, one weekly sport activity, one weekly artsy hipster douchebag activity.

I hear

Quote from: Fenrir

Please tell me you have a "cool dude" t-shirt

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 18, 2015, 05:43:54 PM »
I'll third the fuck clubbing vote.

And I'm making the same mistakes with the same person I did three years ago myself, because I am a complete idiot who does not learn.

You learn enough to know you're making mistakes but not enough to stop making them.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.