Author Topic: Proving Grounds Middle: Italian Dragons  (Read 911 times)

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Proving Grounds Middle: Italian Dragons
« on: May 09, 2015, 06:53:11 AM »
Just some topics to pass the time in-between super's Shift variant & CK's Bluelike tournament for those crazy enough to enjoy voting a lot.

Cherche - Part of the 'drive' to let 'people' who only 'vote' on the 'best' promotions for Awakening characters. Spoils a lot, is spoiled herself.
Umbra - Not a total pushover fight in-game, but unlike many bosses, doesn't translate so well - prepare the status hype.  Hopes you vote Expert mode rather than Casual too.
Mario - superaielman suggestion.  Similar to Leo, traditionally a DL heavy who isn't real great there.

Cherche (Fire Emblem: Awakening) vs. Cliff (SO3)
Cherche vs. Marica (ST)
Cherche vs. White Mage (FF5)
Cherche vs. Umbreon (Pokemon)
Cherche vs. Rauny (OB)
Cherche vs. Balk (FFT)
Cherche vs. Vivi (FF9)
Cherche vs. Tauroneo (FEs)
Cherche vs. Rogue (Saga Frontier)
Cherche vs. Frog (CT)
Cherche vs. Katt (BoF2)
Cherche vs. Joshua (Trails)
Cherche vs. Tiger Lily (CN: Steam)

Umbra (Child of Light) vs. Cliff (SO3)
Umbra vs. Marica (ST)
Umbra vs. White Mage (FF5)
Umbra vs. Umbreon (Pokemon)
Umbra vs. Rauny (OB)
Umbra vs. Balk (FFT)
Umbra vs. Vivi (FF9)
Umbra vs. Tauroneo (FEs)
Umbra vs. Rogue (Saga Frontier)
Umbra vs. Frog (CT)
Umbra vs. Katt (BoF2)
Umbra vs. Joshua (Trails)
Umbra vs. Tiger Lily (CN: Steam)

Mario (SMRPG) vs. Cliff (SO3)
Mario vs. Marica (ST)
Mario vs. White Mage (FF5)
Mario vs. Umbreon (Pokemon)
Mario vs. Rauny (OB)
Mario vs. Balk (FFT)
Mario vs. Vivi (FF9)
Mario vs. Tauroneo (FEs)
Mario vs. Rogue (Saga Frontier)
Mario vs. Frog (CT)
Mario vs. Katt (BoF2)
Mario vs. Joshua (Trails)
Mario vs. Tiger Lily (CN: Steam)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Re: Proving Grounds Middle: Italian Dragons
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 01:54:40 PM »
Cherche (Fire Emblem: Awakening) vs. Cliff Fittir (SO3) - Cliff's damage is below average and Cherche 2HKOs him pretty flat. Even if he manages to avoid counters, that's a slugfest he ain't winning, given he -5HKOs- her.
Cherche vs. White Mage (FF5) - Mini is -definitely- turn one against Cherche RES (hell, it's borderline against average, I think). Good thing too, since White Mage gets 2HKOed through Protect after that first swing and Image ain't great against Brave Axes.
Cherche vs. Umbreon (Pokemon) - Cherche only 3HKOs Umbreon, which isn't a great start. Open with Confuse Ray, Moonlight until Cherche wastes a turn, sprinkle Sand Attack/Growl until she's 5HKOing or so once she misses the first turn, collect victory, I think? This can backfire, of course, but seems like a safe enough course of action.
Cherche vs. Rauny Vinzalf (OB) - Oh shit speedy magical damage against Cherche. Rauny two-rounds, avoids counters and goes first, which feels like a lot for Cherche to overcome.
Cherche vs. Balk Fenzol (FFT) - Balk doubles here. >_<
Cherche vs. Vivi Ornitier (FF9) - Vivi can't really deal with being constantly 2HKOed.
Cherche vs. Tauroneo (FEs) - Swordbreaker is very bad news for Tauroneo, it means he struggles to hit Cherche even if he attempts getting triangle advantage. This said, Cherche having WTA, similar durability and better damage all mean she's pretty well set to outslug Tauroneo even when Resolve kicks in (hell, he's not even above average AS after it kicks in).
Cherche vs. Rouge (Saga Frontier) - Goes first, 2HKOs and Quick Burn evade should ensure Implosion is turn two.
Cherche vs. Frog (CT) - Swordbreaker relegates Frog to spending resources with WATER 2 in order to ever deal damage and Cherche both 2HKOs and goes first. Even at top damage, Frog Squash shouldn't even 2HKO her to boot, so uh have fun.
Cherche vs. Katt (BoF2) - 2HKOs, counters, not even close to one-rounded herself (since Katt doubles).
Cherche vs. Tiger Lily (CN: Steam) - I am -not- touching any of Tiger Lily's matches until I have numbers sorted out. This will have to wait until I'm done with the stat topic. THIS SAID, Brave Axes are a great way to punch past Defiance cheese.

6-4. Well, this was balanced. She's probably a bit beyond the borderline, since, in addition to the spoiling game, she sports good damage and pdur. Mages, particularly fast ones, are a definite problem and it showed here as well (see Rauny and Balk).

Umbra (Child of Light) vs. Cliff Fittir (SO3) - OKAY. So, I allow Umbra to summon the Owls with Revive (Heat's tentacles are mechanically identical and I allow that as well). Problem is they revive at 1/3 HP and that means they're OHKO-bait, so they ain't -terribly- useful. Granted, against someone who's purely ST, they -do- add up. I think the idea here is summoning an Owl and hoping things work out... and they actually -might-. Umbra 6HKOs Cliff and he 5HKOs back (assuming no support credit), likely going first... which means leaving an Owl alive even for -one- turn likely tips the fight in Umbra's favor. I'm not decided on how I see support credit for Umbra, given how I allow her to revive the owls into battle, but I think this may be a lot to chew through, and due to them having a fast charge on Talon, I -believe- the Owls should outspeed Cliff if they get turns and he's in -so- deep if two of them are left afoul in the field. Yeah, think this works, since Umbra shouldn't be much slower than Cliff.
Umbra vs. White Mage (FF5) - Ow, White Mage 2HKOs Umbra with Holy. Don't think she can really overwhelm WM in time, really. And this might not even be the only way White Mage can win the battle with.
Umbra vs. Umbreon (Pokemon) - Thinking there isn't much Umbreon can do to stop Umbra's owls from getting started into a nasty delay game. It has the wrong damage type to deal with the owls to boot (it can only OHKO them by using Take Down, and the recoil makes this soooooooooo much a no).
Umbra vs. Rauny Vinzalf (OB) - In spite of having the wrong damage type to deal with the owls, being full MT off that speed goes a long way. Rauny can outslug that pretty well, especially post-evade.
Umbra vs. Balk Fenzol (FFT) - Unlike Cliff, Balk is a -lot- faster than Umbra, probably fast enough to get in doubles if she attempts Owl summoning. To make matters worse, I see no compelling reason to not see her vulnerable to Arm Aim.
Umbra vs. Vivi Ornitier (FF9) - Doomsday is a nice thought, but it doesn't even OHKO the owls and both Umbra and her summons individually 4HKO Vivi (and Vivi also 4HKOs back). I think that's a bit much pressure here, healing at any time while an Owl is alive is admitting defeat.
Umbra vs. Tauroneo (FEs) - Dragon's Cry isn't MT, correct? In this case, she should two-round with Dragon's Cry x 2 => physical, and should live long enough to get those turns.
Umbra vs. Rouge (Saga Frontier) - Whether Umbra's vulnerable to ID or not is a decent question, but it might not matter: Rouge can't -possibly- deal with Owl spam in the same vein Vivi can't. He can't OHKO them and they start 3-2ing his ass really fast. Them's the breaks.
Umbra vs. Frog (CT) - Uh yeah. At low HP, Frog even gets to deal with the Owls by virtue of Frog Squash, but he can't OHKO them even with PHYSICALS. That doesn't work out too well.
Umbra vs. Katt (BoF2) - Katt is great at busting down the Owls, but gets outslugged hands off by Umbra. Katt really wishes her durability wasn't so trashy.
Umbra vs. Tiger Lily (CN: Steam) - no

7-3. Complete weirdo. In spite of what I previously said, the Owls are actually a huge part of Umbra's game and nicely compliment her tankiness and are pretty interesting in that you want at least competent MT to deal with them if it's magically typed, which gives Umbra some minor reverse spoiling potential. Offense is pretty darned bad, so she -will- need every smidge of her competent durability to win any slugfest she gets into if the Owls fail her (and even then, it's not -so- bad, since she can effectively 4HKO average while being 5HKOed by average damage back). But yeah, Umbra ain't making waves in even Middle if you don't allow the Owls in some way.

Mario (SMRPG) vs. Cliff Fittir (SO3) - Mario 3HKOs Cliff (at absolute worst, 4HKOs with just physicals) with either physicals or magic. Cliff... 6HKOs. Even applying his best possible MP damage, I don't think he can stop Mario from having an Ultra Jump to spare - which solidifies his following 3HKO no matter what.
Mario vs. White Mage (FF5) - Ultra Jump 3HKOs White Mage and Protect relegates his physical to a 4HKO. Since WM goes -first-, don't think Mario can ever blow past the stalling.
Mario vs. Umbreon (Pokemon) - More of that stalling game. Mario 4HKOs with either physicals or magic and Umbreon's faster. Confuse Ray also puts another wrench into things. Yeah, so it goes.
Mario vs. Rauny Vinzalf (OB) - Rauny 4HKOs Mario, who 3HKOs back. Problem is that pesky evade, though. 30% evade means she's very likely to get that 4th turn needed to seal things shut.
Mario vs. Balk Fenzol (FFT) - I'm pretty sure Mario 3HKOs Balk with Ultra Jump -at the very worst (he's more likely to 2HKO to me)- before evade and Balk um borderline 7HKOs. He can attempt to land a few Arm Aims and cause Mario some misery that way, but that's kind of hard to surpass even with the noticeable speed split. Mages aren't what Balk shines against.
Mario vs. Vivi Ornitier (FF9) - Mario 2HKOs Vivi with physicals and none of the kid's relevant status even pulls turn two. Ghost Medal guarantees even a Drain strategy pans out poorly to boot.
Mario vs. Tauroneo (FEs) - I think so, at any rate.
Mario vs. Rouge (Saga Frontier) - Forgo the Ghost Medal to go first, 2HKO with Lazy Shell. Rouge is kinda bad.
Mario vs. Frog (CT) - Mario needs magic to 2HKO and can't heal-lock with his physical. This should be all Frog needs to win.
Mario vs. Katt (BoF2) - 2HKOs, isn't even 3HKOed (hell, even -5HKOed) back.
Mario vs. Tiger Lily (CN: Steam) - Once again, not now. But if there's intuitively a match here Tiger Lily has absolutely no problem with, this should be it.

6-4. Pretty straightforward. Not very good against healers, but straight slugging is where he trives, being able to hit both defenses competently enough off amazing durability. Unlike the types of Leo, Mario -actually- does pack a pretty decent punch in Middle.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 08:05:48 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 05:51:40 PM »
Mario vs. White Mage (FF5)- Didn't WM have dispel to boot?
Mario vs. Rauny (OB)- Ultra jump would fall under physical element magic defense which Rauny resists by 20%...which means he doesn't 2HKO. That's sad.
Mario vs. Balk (FFT)- Kneejerk.
Mario vs. Vivi (FF9)- Was going to say Vivi could heal, but he's actually slower than Mario.
Mario vs. Tauroneo (FEs)- Strong kneejerk.
Mario vs. Rogue (Saga Frontier)- Strong kneejerk.
Mario vs. Frog (CT)- Mario vs healers: bad.
Mario vs. Katt (BoF2)
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 07:26:04 AM »
Cherche (Fire Emblem: Awakening) vs. Cliff (SO3)- Chereche's Pdur is pretty good.
Cherche vs. Marica (ST)- Sigh. I'm just abstaining on Marica. Damn Tiekreis is it's stupidly unbalanced late game weapon spread.
Cherche vs. White Mage (FF5)- Mini
Cherche vs. Rauny (OB)- 2HKOs first.
Cherche vs. Balk (FFT)
Cherche vs. Vivi (FF9)
Cherche vs. Frog (CT)
Cherche vs. Katt (BoF2)- WAIT KATT IS IN THIS DIVISION BUT CECILE IS IN THE LOWER DIVISION???????????
Cherche vs. Joshua (Trails)- Joshua would need to win off status, which he doesn't quite.

Gut reaction since no Normal notes. Sure on summon via revival. Guessing scrapes 2HKO (with a charge time) and about 1.5 PC HP. So most people will get two shots at her, but then face a lot of pressure.
Umbra (Child of Light) vs. Cliff (SO3)- Cliff just isnt' great.
Umbra vs. Rauny (OB)- Yeah, MT works well against Umbra
Umbra vs. Balk (FFT)
Umbra vs. Vivi (FF9- Yeah, Vivi gets overwhelmed
Umbra vs. Tauroneo (FEs)- Yeah. Summon, the owls use their MT damage (so no counters) and she charges up (and Tauro 4HKOs below 50% HP) and gets doesn't particularly like magic or chipping
Umbra vs. Rogue (Saga Frontier)- Uh...yeah, is Umbra ID immune? I mean...given that you can pump out damage with the best PC with ID attached...my gut reaction is that I would imagine they made her ID immune.
Umbra vs. Frog (CT)
Umbra vs. Katt (BoF2)- Isn't a Light
Umbra vs. Joshua (Trails)- I think. The whole rush is a fair amount of damage.

Mario vs. Marica (ST)
Mario vs. White Mage (FF5)
Mario vs. Umbreon (Pokemon)
Mario vs. Rauny (OB)- Rauny may avoid getting 2HKOed, but she's still 3HKOed and doesn't 3HKO herself. And she also doesn't quite 4-3.
Mario vs. Balk (FFT)
Mario vs. Vivi (FF9)
Mario vs. Tauroneo (FEs)- Weaker magic to chip, smash
Mario vs. Rogue (Saga Frontier)
Mario vs. Frog (CT)- Yeah, no heal lock with physical=Frog wins
Mario vs. Katt (BoF2)- Isn't a Light
Mario vs. Joshua (Trails)

Mario 8-3
Umbra 8-3
Chereche  7-4
...into the nightfall.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 07:28:07 AM »
I never IDed a boss with Oengus in Child of Light, nor have I heard of anyone doing so, which makes me suspect it can't be done.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 02:54:41 PM »
Cherche vs. Katt (BoF2)- WAIT KATT IS IN THIS DIVISION BUT CECILE IS IN THE LOWER DIVISION???????????

Hey now, it's a range!  Cecile was a middle-of-Middle pick for the very top end of a Light-Middle range, Katt is a very-bottom-of-Middle pick for this.  (and maybe I need to check the stat topic again, but thought she at least managed that - she a more straight-up Light now or something?)

For Casual-mode Umbra, the one thing I can say that I'm quite sure about is that Expert has 115% the HP of Casual.  So the durability hit isn't large.  Damage is harder to guess due to #$%^ Autosave, but from looking at YouTube videos my guess was a ~25% damage boost for Expert, so the slugging is notably worse, along with whatever respect penalty for super-healing Iggy plants.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 05:25:26 PM by SnowFire »

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 08:41:34 PM »
Yeah,  I have Katt at 2.8 and she needs a more than borderline drop (to me) to get out of Light.
...into the nightfall.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 09:23:17 PM »
Cherche vs. Marica (ST): Marica doubles magic here, and the only thing which keeps Cherche to seeing a first turn is her evade. So... does Hand Axe + Brave Axe kill? Doesn't look like it, Marica def offsets the HP.
Cherche vs. White Mage (FF5): White Mage fails to double, and Cherche is faster. She opens with smash-to-the-face. Image is a thought, but Cherche will double eventually. Protect won't let her dodge a turn. I doubt Mini is turn 1 against Quick Burn. Healing admits a lock, although is the best plan since she might be able to wait out the Brave Axe, actually? Or hell, at least until Mini becomes turn 1. Yeah, think that works. Cherche can't chip with anything else because WM will use Protect in response.
Cherche vs. Umbreon (Pokemon): Cherche 3HKOs at base, so Moonlight is a big problem. Cherche needs to run that out and then win, which gives Umbreon way, way too much time to do something with Sand Attack and Confuse Ray.
Cherche vs. Balk (FFT): Faster, two-rounds in ITE fashion. I guess Cherche can hope Hand Axe + Brave Axe is enough but with Balk's evade in there I doubt it is. ... mm actually, it might be, dat Cherche strength. Okay, Arm Aim instead I guess? It misses turn 1, but doesn't trigger counters, and evade keeps Balk alive... hits turn 2. Balk then gets in two uninterrupted turns with no counters.
Cherche vs. Vivi (FF9): Unlike with WM, Cherche can heal-lock with something that isn't Brave, so Vivi waiting out her weapons or Quick Burn won't work. Heck, a Killer crit OHKOs eventually.
Cherche vs. Tauroneo (FEs): Strong kneejerk.
Cherche vs. Rouge (Saga Frontier): I suppose I should check if Cherche doubles, but she doesn't have to.
Cherche vs. Frog (CT): Cherche 2HKOs, but can't heal-lock with anything but Brave, so Frog can wait out her weapon with healing. So instead she uses Killer, I suppose? That... forces Frog to heal since the fight is way, way too long for him to risk a crit on her subsequent attack, and yeah, think Cherche wins.
Cherche vs. Katt (BoF2): Counters and wins.
Cherche vs. Joshua (Trails): Swordbreaker ruins the physicals, and the magical status isn't landing in time.

Umbra (Child of Light) vs. Cliff (SO3): I guess he misses the OHKO on the owls? That's too much pressure then, yeah. EDIT: Wait, no he doesn't. Still, don't think OHKOing them is enough with ST damage and no remarkable speed.
Umbra vs. Marica (ST): Marcia is faster and... 4HKOs, can't OHKO owls due to wrong damage type so I guess she ignores them. Marica, summon, Marica, summon + owl, Marcia, all three attack... no that won't work. Okay, summon just one owl then? Still doesn't. Don't see any way for Umbra to knock out an average PC in three rounds, which is wow. I guess my levels were lower because that is real bad. Though, of course, starting with both owls out would help her a lot!
Umbra vs. White Mage (FF5): Protect/Shell make a pretty big mess of Umbra's offence, even the full load doesn't two-round him then. (Does with a charge turn, but who cares, that's a called shot.) Meanwhile, Holy should 3HKO at worst, possibly 2HKO.
Umbra vs. Umbreon (Pokemon): Growl is MT so it wrecks the owls and Umbra at the same time... but they have magic, so I guess this isn't so great. Still, one use wards of a spammable two-rounding, so Growl's worth it, I think. Moonlight buys Umbreon a bunch of time, then, but... eh, doubt it's enough. Confuse Ray is nice, but with only one target it doesn't accomplish much, and Umbreon blitzing anything is no.
Umbra vs. Balk (FFT): The durability gap is much larger than the speed gap. Evade goes a long way, but it's not enough I don't think. Arm Aim would be nice if the summoning didn't kinda spoil it. Don't see the owls being one-shotted, they have some nice MDef to offset the bad HP.
Umbra vs. Vivi (FF9)
Umbra vs. Tauroneo (FEs): I think.
Umbra vs. Rouge (Saga Frontier): Rouge is awful outside ID.
Umbra vs. Frog (CT)
Umbra vs. Katt (BoF2)

Mario (SMRPG) vs. Cliff (SO3): Mario can deal with straight slugfests.
Mario vs. Marica (ST): But not healers. He maay 2HKO with Jump which could net him a win but Marica MDef is huge so I doubt it.
Mario vs. White Mage (FF5): Shell/Protect/Dispel. If Mario goes first, he has a case to heal-lock but I think he just misses it due to WM MDef (the physical does it exactly on the dot, but Image). And that's an "if" already.
Mario vs. Umbreon (Pokemon): Mario only 4HKOs, which gives Umbreon lots of time for nonsense. Sand-Attack to make that offence even worse, Moonlight as needed. Sure Faint Attack probably only 9HKOs or something, but that's time Umbreon has, even with the speed disadvantage.
Mario vs. Balk (FFT): Arm Aim could tilt this, but I doubt it. Mario 2HKOs (=3HKOs after evade) and Balk just isn't anywhere close to that... 6HKO? Speed's nice, but yeah.
Mario vs. Vivi (FF9): Mario just misses the 2HKO with basic physicals, I think? But they heal-lock for a fatal Jump.
Mario vs. Tauroneo (FEs): Long-range magic.
Mario vs. Rouge (Saga Frontier): Faster.
Mario vs. Frog (CT): Yeaaah no.
Mario vs. Katt (BoF2): Outslugs.
Mario vs. Joshua (Trails): Silence just means Mario outslugs with physicals, don't think the other status lands in time.

Umbra 9-2 (huh, that worked out better than I expected)
Cherche 7-4
Mario 7-4

Well they're all good in the division, clearly? White Mage v5 sure gave this field a lot of problems, though, maybe High Middle was underrating him some. (New PG idea?)

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 02:39:36 AM »
Cherche vs. Marica (ST)
Cherche vs. White Mage (FF5)
Cherche vs. Rauny (OB)
Cherche vs. Balk (FFT)
Cherche vs. Vivi (FF9)
Cherche vs. Frog (CT)
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 04:47:44 AM »
Cliff's got ranged combos, but yeah.
Cherche vs. Marica (ST) - I'll buy Elf's hype.
Cherche vs. White Mage (FF5) - Adorable Chibi-Cherche.
Cherche vs. Umbreon (Pokemon) - Most Umbreon sets should handle this, sure.
Cherche vs. Rauny (OB)
OHKOs.  As a side comment, Rauny really likes my OB interp.  (Most OB characters have 2 attacks a battle, some have 3 and some have 1, and the idea of a "DL round" seems to correspond more to attacks than to battles, so yeah, an OB battle is two turns for me (and the killpoint is cut in half).  So Rauny massively frontloads her damage, which is accurate to in-game.)
Cherche vs. Balk (FFT) - dem fast mages.
Cherche vs. Vivi (FF9)
Cherche has super bad resistance, but yeesh, Vivi's ID is bad. 
Eats one turn of Resolve, but WTA or Tauroneo being forced to a crappy axe should still turn this.
Cherche vs. Frog (CT)
Swordbreaker & waiting out Frog with a Killer, sure.
Cherche vs. Katt (BoF2)
Cherche vs. Joshua (Trails)
This match is all about voting with orbment stat boosts or not, as Joshua doubles magic damage if he gets orbment stat hype and wrecks under 50/75 CP, and has a coinflip under 100 CP.  I'll throw a vote his way.  (I don't think Trails status really cares about the defender's stats, so yeah, status is out.)

As I noted in the stat topic I find letting Umbra have some dead owls is a little sketchy, Rosa doesn't get a dead Cecil to revive, Kornell can't revive a dead Violetta, etc.  That said it's certainly *possible* these are magically summoned owls rather than just allies, no way to tell, and that'd be more legal.  More to the point allowing Revive makes the fight more interesting (rewards MT, especially MT physicals!) and is more accurate mechanically to in-game, so sure I'll go with it.

Umbra (Child of Light) vs. Cliff (SO3)
Yeah even Cliff OHKOs Owls, he does so with a resource cost and isn't getting doubles on Umbra very fast.
Umbra vs. Marica (ST)
Surprising, but think Elf is right: Marica 4HKOs, Umbra can't 3HKO with anything. 
Mini not super-helpful even it hits, but yeesh.
Both Umbra & the Owls have both physical & magical damage, so this isn't working out for Umbreon, barring the greatest luck with Confuse ever.
Umbra vs. Rauny (OB)
those full MT blasts.  Rauny doesn't like having to wait until turn 5 to win, though...  but 2 Dragon's Cries, though probably fatal, might run into evade, and Rauny has an argument for her 5th turn to go before Umbra's 4th, so yeah.
Umbra vs. Balk (FFT)
Yeah, not respecting Arm Aim enough here.
Umbra vs. Vivi (FF9)
Doomsday is definitely on the right track, but still isn't getting that OHKO.
Umbra vs. Tauroneo (FEs)
Good thing the Owls have MT, since Umbra / FE10 dragons are all range 1 and eat counters.  Summon Owls, maybe buff self, look to finish things off with a Dragon's Cry once in Resolve range.  Tauroneo theoretically just spends all his time murdering Owls as they pop out...  he does have a blessed weapon...  hrmm.  Actually sure, I think that does shut down an Owl strat, so let's look at a straight slugfest.  Dragon's Cry barely 2HKOs, so without Owls, Umbra eats 2x normal Tauroneo turns, 1x Resolve counter, 2x Resolve turns....  can Tauroneo 8HKO?!  Uh, yes, easily.
Umbra vs. Frog (CT)
Yeah, Owls to overwhelm, Dragon's Cry once Frog starts getting into Frog Squash danger range.
Umbra vs. Katt (BoF2)
Black Fang is MT at least, but this is pretty uphill.

Cherche 5-6
Umbra 7-4