Author Topic: RPGDL 2015 Season 2, Week 3  (Read 1656 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
RPGDL 2015 Season 2, Week 3
« on: September 14, 2015, 04:13:13 AM »
Godlike

Yaridovich (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Yunalesca (Final Fantasy X)
Clarissa Arwin (Wild ARMs XF) vs Fou-lu (Breath of Fire IV)
Lavos (Chrono Trigger) vs Elc (Arc the Lad II)
Ryu (Breath of Fire III) vs TimeLord (SaGa Frontier)

Heavy

Kiryl (Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen) vs Wakka (Final Fantasy X)
Angela (Seiken Densetsu 3) vs Shadow (Final Fantasy VI)
Gau (Final Fantasy VI) vs Hugo (Radiant Historia)
Iga (Arc the Lad II) vs Guy (Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword)

Middle

DEM Bones (Breath of Death VII: The Beginning) vs Henry (Fire Emblem: Awakening)
Hippopressor (Mega Man X: Command Mission) vs Miranda (Grandia III)
Mystere (Lunar: Eternal Blue) vs Raynie (Radiant Historia)
Valeria (Suikoden Series) vs Snow Villiers (Final Fantasy XIII)

Light

Red Wizard (Final Fantasy) vs Yushis (Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen)
Shu (Arc the Lad II) vs Blissey (Pokémon)
Lilianne Valendorf (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Freed Yamamoto (Suikoden II)
Innes (Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones) vs Shady Thousand (Wild ARMs 3)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: RPGDL 2015 Season 2, Week 3
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 04:21:21 AM »
Godlike

Yaridovich (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Yunalesca (Final Fantasy X) - pass
Lavos (Chrono Trigger) vs Elc (Arc the Lad II) - paaaaaaass
Ryu (Breath of Fire III) vs TimeLord (SaGa Frontier) - Welp.

Heavy

Gau (Final Fantasy VI) vs Hugo (Radiant Historia) - paaaaaaaaaaaaass
Iga (Arc the Lad II) vs Guy (Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword) - Guy doesn't fare any better than Colm here.

Middle

DEM Bones (Breath of Death VII: The Beginning) vs Henry (Fire Emblem: Awakening) - The best path DEM has to victory here still involves eating four Waste hits, which isn't something DEM survives unless you take dhyerviews.
Hippopressor (Mega Man X: Command Mission) vs Miranda (Grandia III) - Sure.  Tremor being kind of sluggish doesn't really help much either.
Mystere (Lunar: Eternal Blue) vs Raynie (Radiant Historia) - yep

Light

Lilianne Valendorf (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Freed Yamamoto (Suikoden II) - Well two "average" physicals kills Lily under the lowest average which while I do typically use that out of laziness is kind of gross to actually consider here since that only has about a 36% chance of happening and Freed's non-crit physicals shouldn't come nearly close enough to doing that, and Lily is faster and typically kills in three turns herself.  I guess he could 3HKO if he got a third turn, but it seems incredibly unlikely that he gets one.
Innes (Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones) vs Shady Thousand (Wild ARMs 3) - Do I see Shady doubling Innes?  No, I don't think so, so he can actually afford a miss here if it indeed comes to it.  Mind, if Shady does double this becomes somewhat depressingly embarrasing for Prince Benchwarmer.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 04:04:13 AM by Random Consonant »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 08:34:06 PM »
Godlike

Yaridovich (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Yunalesca (Final Fantasy X)- Guh.
Clarissa Arwin (Wild ARMs XF) vs Fou-lu (Breath of Fire IV)- The good news : Clarissa gets a hell of a first shot. Bad news: Literally everything else.
Lavos (Chrono Trigger) vs Elc (Arc the Lad II)- Lavos isn't durable and he doesn't have any way to quickly cripple Elc offhand.
Ryu (Breath of Fire III) vs TimeLord (SaGa Frontier)- TL doing TL things.

Heavy

Kiryl (Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen) vs Wakka (Final Fantasy X)- Faster.
Angela (Seiken Densetsu 3) vs Shadow (Final Fantasy VI)- Snowman.
Iga (Arc the Lad II) vs Guy (Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword)- Status.

Light

Red Wizard (Final Fantasy) vs Yushis (Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen)- RW's status magic is turn never fucking happening here. Ruse slows down Yushis some but she can just opt to use Jihad to get around physical evasion.
Shu (Arc the Lad II) vs Blissey (Pokémon)- Time Bomb spam offhand?
Lilianne Valendorf (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Freed Yamamoto (Suikoden II)- Headache.
Innes (Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones) vs Shady Thousand (Wild ARMs 3)- Think so? Both are really bad.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 08:35:15 PM »
Godlike

Yaridovich (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Yunalesca (Final Fantasy X)

Heavy

Angela (Seiken Densetsu 3) vs Shadow (Final Fantasy VI) - Unless the Level 3 spells are slower than I remember?

Middle

DEM Bones (Breath of Death VII: The Beginning) vs Henry (Fire Emblem: Awakening)
Valeria (Suikoden Series) vs Snow Villiers (Final Fantasy XIII) - I'll wait arguments on this one.

Light

Lilianne Valendorf (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Freed Yamamoto (Suikoden II)

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 09:40:05 PM »

Godlike

Yaridovich (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Yunalesca (Final Fantasy X): Probably. Yaridovich is pretty reliant on his defences to slug in this division.
Clarissa Arwin (Wild ARMs XF) vs Fou-lu (Breath of Fire IV): Oh dear.
Ryu (Breath of Fire III) vs TimeLord (SaGa Frontier): Oh dear mark 2.

Heavy

Kiryl (Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen) vs Wakka (Final Fantasy X): Yeah, faster,
Angela (Seiken Densetsu 3) vs Shadow (Final Fantasy VI): Cold Blaze does its thing again.
Gau (Final Fantasy VI) vs Hugo (Radiant Historia): Hugo is a low-offence status-oriented boss against Gau, that's not the way to go. He's fucked beyond belief if Wrath of God is seen as holy (and I am inclined to do so), but even if not he'll fall to Charm.

Middle

Hippopressor (Mega Man X: Command Mission) vs Miranda (Grandia III): Not much Miranda respect, Hippopressor shouldn't lose to a Light non-healer.
Mystere (Lunar: Eternal Blue) vs Raynie (Radiant Historia): Sleep again.
Valeria (Suikoden Series) vs Snow Villiers (Final Fantasy XIII): Mediguard strats lose to infinitely spammable average damage, and Valeria is way above. If he goes for straight slugging he gets 2HKOed.

Light

Lilianne Valendorf (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Freed Yamamoto (Suikoden II): Trusting Random.
Innes (Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones) vs Shady Thousand (Wild ARMs 3): I'm not sure. Innes mdur could be better, there's an outside chance he is 3HKOed (Shady needs to do 27%). Similarly, he could miss the 3HKO himself (would involve seeing Shady as >105% pdur... yeah probably not). And most significantly he needs to avoid being doubled, which 122% speed does to him, and... yeah I'm not sure where Shady is, because the standard deviation of speed depends a lot on your medium setup. In isolation, I am inclined to make each of these judgement calls in Innes' favour... but he needs all three. Abstain for now.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 10:03:32 PM »
Godlike

Lavos (Chrono Trigger) vs Elc (Arc the Lad II)- Lavos really doesn't have any way to deal with Invincible+Divide. A main part having about 1 PC HP and average MDef is not going to work against Elc.

Heavy

Angela (Seiken Densetsu 3) vs Shadow (Final Fantasy VI)- Angela's spells seem to go off on the back end of turn 2 overall. Meaning that Shadow 2HKOs her first.
Gau (Final Fantasy VI) vs Hugo (Radiant Historia)- Magic Urn?

Middle

DEM Bones (Breath of Death VII: The Beginning) vs Henry (Fire Emblem: Awakening)- A few views sink Henry (he doesn't like no free counters since he wants range 1 and he certainly doesn't like my AS scaling).
Hippopressor (Mega Man X: Command Mission) vs Miranda (Grandia III)- Might need more specific Miranda numbers. Hippopressor has 2 PC HP and about a 6HKO base. So it's certainly not inconceivable that Miranda's damage could be at a point where she can deal with that.
Valeria (Suikoden Series) vs Snow Villiers (Final Fantasy XIII)- To me, Valeria 3.3HKOs Snow in Sentinel. This outpaces Snow's Mediguard

Light

Shu (Arc the Lad II) vs Blissey (Pokémon)- Shu has more L1 Time Bombs than Blissey has healing. If Blissey wants to attack, it starts eating through it's healing as well, although I guess Egg Bomb should actually be the damage choice (Although there's no point in having Evade boosting).
Lilianne Valendorf (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Freed Yamamoto (Suikoden II)- 3HKOs first
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 04:33:46 AM by Dhyerwolf »
...into the nightfall.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 10:32:54 PM »
Hippopressor is somewhat shy of 2PCHP to me (230+230+900+0 = 340 average damage over four turns), so with your scaling he should be around 3PC, which should offset any higher Miranda respect. And while Hippopressor does only have a 6HKO at base, shark missiles are a factor here: given how G3 earth against flyers = lol, Miranda can only kill them reliably with Dagger Dash, and and then only if they are seen as ITE here, and even then she burns valuable SP doing this.

EDIT: Also, re Angela, you brought this up a year ago so I'll just link you to the responses you got then since I imagine you didn't see them. But the tl;dr is that it is unreasonable to see Shadow (116% speed) outslugging Angela before she can resolve a single spell.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 11:09:28 PM by Dark Holy Elf »

Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 02:56:27 AM »
Elf, re Snow: Snow reduces incoming damage to .36 while Mediguarding.  Below 30%, it's .27.   5x Mediguards restore 20% of Snow's Max HP, or .25 PCHP.  So the magic number for spammable damage is ~.93 PCHP a round, which is way more badass than even many Heavies.

Okay, I'd see Snow as worse than that…  maybe bake in some "Sentinel defense" into the averages since Fang can do the same trick, which would mean Mediguarding Sentinel Snow reduces damage by ~.32-.35 or so.  Doesn't help too much.  (I guess baking in EVERYBODY having Sentinel up would help, but then that makes switching to Sentinel not really help reduce damage, which seems weird.)

That said, don't get me wrong, I think Valeria (a DL Heavy traditionally!) wins, but only because Mediguard spam is "slow" and Valeria is fast, so she can probably bust through via doubles.  But how many Middles have spammable .70 PCHP damage off good speed?  I think this is one of the only losses Snow receives to raw outslugging in Middle that doesn't involve status or some kind of buff'd killer turn.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 03:25:22 AM »
Er, that would only be true if Mediguard was permanently active. Of course, it is not. Snow(/Fang) needs to regain the ATB he uses on Mediguard at some point. Needless to say, this is when the opponent will attack. So during that time, only Snow's normal sentinel reduction applies, which is 44%. Deathward, similarly, will not apply during these attacks, which are where most of the reduction has. So right away, you only need 36% damage to punch through Mediguard: the sentinel regains 20% health, then 56% of 36% is >20.

But additionally, as you note, Mediguard is slow. And not just kinda slow. Each Mediguard (out of the five) takes about 3-4 seconds (I can link a YouTube video if you doubt this claim) while normal actions take closer to 0.5 seconds (per Tal's notes in the stat topic... looking things up some actions are slightly slower, but everything is still much faster than 1 second). Toss in the 4.5 seconds it takes to charge in the ATB, and a "normal" round is about 7-9 seconds, while a 5x Mediguard one takes 20-25! At the very, very least, you should give anyone fighting an FF13 sentinel two turns to the sentinel's one. Granted, the second turn will hit Mediguard itself, but that's still one more attack at 20% power (assuming Snow uses Paladin). So in total, the would-be sentinel slayer gets in one attack at 56% and one attack at 20%, for a total of 76%... you only need to do 27% to the sentinel to do that, or >33% to Snow due to his HP. If Deathward manages to apply (it won't always), then it's 56+15 = 71% against 20% healing, which requires >29% to the sentinel, so >36% to average when that sentinel is Snow. And that's ignoring any opponents fast enough to tripleturn, the specifics of which vary on exact timing of FF13 moves which I'm not willing to do at this time.

EDIT: Here we go.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 03:30:34 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Maybe.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 04:33:15 AM »
Hippopressor is somewhat shy of 2PCHP to me (230+230+900+0 = 340 average damage over four turns), so with your scaling he should be around 3PC, which should offset any higher Miranda respect. And while Hippopressor does only have a 6HKO at base, shark missiles are a factor here: given how G3 earth against flyers = lol, Miranda can only kill them reliably with Dagger Dash, and and then only if they are seen as ITE here, and even then she burns valuable SP doing this.

EDIT: Also, re Angela, you brought this up a year ago so I'll just link you to the responses you got then since I imagine you didn't see them. But the tl;dr is that it is unreasonable to see Shadow (116% speed) outslugging Angela before she can resolve a single spell.

Where does the 0 come from in that damage average? But interesting point about the flying part. I was just pondering that for Suikoden 1.

Even if I saw the Angela part, I probably forgot. Although it doesn't matter here, it might mean the SD 3 damage average should be a little higher in effect (since if 2.25 is the average speed, the turn should be covering a little bit longer).

That pseudo invincibility part of course sounds like a giant mess.
...into the nightfall.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 04:56:14 AM »
The missing turn is due to the large recoil time involved in using action triggers. (Marino can get around it somewhat though, to be fair... I forget how I handled Marino for the estimates, unfortunately.)

Re SD3, it is of course, extremely arbitrary what you see as the length of an average turn. I'd have to look at the current damage average; it's possible it's a bit low if some things are just being cut off due to just missing the cutoff, yeah. On the other hand, I think the damage average is a bit high in two other ways: first, Meeple overrated Hawk/Kevin slightly (ignoring the time between their two swings, IIRC?), and secondly a five-turn average is kinda silly. He himself said that the average there is kind of a placeholder, though. We could try working out a better one but that would probably involve testing some things manually and nobody has cared about SD3 enough to do it.

Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 04:39:55 PM »
Godlike

Heavy

Middle

Light

When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 03:03:49 AM »
Godlike
Yaridovich (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) vs Yunalesca (Final Fantasy X): Yaridovich is a better boss slugger, I guess.
Clarissa Arwin (Wild ARMs XF) vs Fou-lu (Breath of Fire IV): ... Yeah.
Lavos (Chrono Trigger) vs Elc (Arc the Lad II): Extract and Invincible do some offense while the Center/Left bit are alive, while just attacking handles the core when the center bit is dead... judicious use of the timing involved should work.
Ryu (Breath of Fire III) vs TimeLord (SaGa Frontier): Rar Timerlod vs. every PC ever.

Heavy

Kiryl (Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen) vs Wakka (Final Fantasy X): So I guess Kiryl's silence is turn 1?
Gau (Final Fantasy VI) vs Hugo (Radiant Historia): Charm works.
Iga (Arc the Lad II) vs Guy (Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword): Same logic as Colm I suppose.

Middle

Hippopressor (Mega Man X: Command Mission) vs Miranda (Grandia III): Quake missed flying shark missiles?
Mystere (Lunar: Eternal Blue) vs Raynie (Radiant Historia): zzz
Valeria (Suikoden Series) vs Snow Villiers (Final Fantasy XIII): Just overwhelms I imagine.

Light

Shu (Arc the Lad II) vs Blissey (Pokémon): Uh not sure why no one has looked at this as Blissey has some good advantages here. Time Bomb is worthless (Blissey can just heal it away and Shu can't use it that much). Charge is nice... but Blissey can buff defense significantly and can debuff Shu's offense... but she can only bring in 4 moves, one of which is recovery, and at least one must be offense... but she'll need to be able to do a lot of damage to KO shu with evadable physical damage... something like ~2.3 PCHP worth of damage. Evasion buffing isn't really an option because Shu's Charge ignores evade. I allow HMs so Chancey can take Strength I guess... But she'll still need more than just that. So Strength/*Something offense*/Recover/*Something Not Offense*. I guess Defense Curl. Evasion isn't useful because Charge can ignore Evade. If Shu tried to charge up to a 7-charge physical, that'd be... 1.7x PCHP damage in a single shot or so. Chancey's Pdur by that point would be 2.56x or so, so no OHKO hype. So Shu's most effective offense for burning through Blissey's Recovers is Time Bomb at 8 MP a pop. But that's the 'slow' version that lets Blissey get 3 turns per Time Bomb. So Blissey will want to buff her defense sky high... but Shu can do other stuff while Blissey is buffing and recovering between Time Bombs...

Or I could just be overthinking this because Shu can equip a kick-type weapon and do double-damage on Blissey. Yeah.

Innes (Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones) vs Shady Thousand (Wild ARMs 3): Dhyerviews? Sure.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 07:13:21 AM »
Elf: Dunno about hyping PCs getting in on the time when Mediguard isn't in effect, IIRC the duration of that being off was quite short, and to the extent I'd allow it it'd be to the likes of ATB opponents who can wait on such openings in their own game.  That said, fair enough point that the Mediguards come off even more slowly than I recalled.

Heavy

Middle

Light

Can Jihad-using Yushis actually outslug RW here?!  ...Fast'd RW looks like he doesn't 2HKO Yushis afterward, at least taking evasion into account.  So the answer is...  yes.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 03:55:38 PM »
Elf: Dunno about hyping PCs getting in on the time when Mediguard isn't in effect, IIRC the duration of that being off was quite short, and to the extent I'd allow it it'd be to the likes of ATB opponents who can wait on such openings in their own game.  That said, fair enough point that the Mediguards come off even more slowly than I recalled.

It's not that short at all, actually. It's over half of a normal-speed FF13 "round" (4.5 seconds). Additionally, for other roles, without question, this is when enemy attacks happen, typically. FF13 PCs' attacks tend to tie up enemies (or worse, get interrupted by them; the specifics depend on cut/keep mechanics), so both sides attacking simultaneously is extremely rare. In other words, enemies tend to attack while PCs are recharging their ATB gauge. This is already the assumed normal, I would argue.

I suppose you could force opponents from games with no control over their turns to attack at completely random points against a sentinel, which would help the sentinels out some compared to my views (but is still much worse than assuming Mediguard is always active, because an opponent who attacks every 7 seconds on average is still going to land an attack in the no-Mediguard window 64% of the time). That would be fair enough. I don't do this because I don't see DL fights this way in general, but it doesn't hurt that I see no reason to further improve Mediguard as a DL strategy.

Maybe.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2015, 09:50:28 AM »
Godlike

Heavy

Middle

Light

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2015, 09:25:48 PM »
Godlike

Lavos (Chrono Trigger) vs Elc (Arc the Lad II)- No vote.

Heavy

Angela (Seiken Densetsu 3) vs Shadow (Final Fantasy VI)- No vote.

Middle

Light

Red Wizard (Final Fantasy) vs Yushis (Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen)- No vote.
Shu (Arc the Lad II) vs Blissey (Pokémon)- No vote.

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2015, 02:18:14 AM »
Godlike

Yaridovich (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars)- i vs Yunalesca (Final Fantasy X)- iiii
Clarissa Arwin (Wild ARMs XF) vs Fou-lu (Breath of Fire IV)- iiiiiiiii
Lavos (Chrono Trigger)- i vs Elc (Arc the Lad II)- iii
Ryu (Breath of Fire III) vs TimeLord (SaGa Frontier)- iiiiiiii

Heavy

Kiryl (Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen)- iiiiiiii vs Wakka (Final Fantasy X)- i
Angela (Seiken Densetsu 3)- iiiiiiii vs Shadow (Final Fantasy VI)
Gau (Final Fantasy VI)- iiiii vs Hugo (Radiant Historia)
Iga (Arc the Lad II)- iiii vs Guy (Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword)

Middle

DEM Bones (Breath of Death VII: The Beginning)- i vs Henry (Fire Emblem: Awakening)- ii
Hippopressor (Mega Man X: Command Mission)- iiiii vs Miranda (Grandia III)
Mystere (Lunar: Eternal Blue) vs Raynie (Radiant Historia)- iiiiiii
Valeria (Suikoden Series)- iiiiii vs Snow Villiers (Final Fantasy XIII)

Light

Red Wizard (Final Fantasy)- i vs Yushis (Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen)- iiiii
Shu (Arc the Lad II)- iii vs Blissey (Pokémon)- i
Lilianne Valendorf (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy)- iiii vs Freed Yamamoto (Suikoden II)- ii
Innes (Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones)- iiiiii vs Shady Thousand (Wild ARMs 3)