Register

Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2016?  (Read 117335 times)

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2016?
« Reply #1275 on: June 01, 2016, 04:06:53 AM »
Yeah when I hit 100 a card popped up which started the chain.  The first thing in the chain took 100 Dangerous so I passed that, but the second takes 100 Persuasive *or* 10 Fate to complete.  So you can pay your way past it.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: June 01, 2016, 04:43:12 AM »
All I'm saying is when Fenrir and Grefter get that position because they're playing twice as much as we are they had better adopt one of us.

Also, at least, with one days worth of turns I can get a novel done, which is 60 echos, so getting enough buffers for all my secondary stats shouldn't take more than the rest of the week, and then raising them up should go a lot more smoothly since I will basically have double the stat I am supposed to for a bit.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 04:45:26 AM by Makkotah »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: June 01, 2016, 05:48:48 AM »
Fallen London - Okay y'all convinced me to give it a try.  The web-client version of course, no iOs here.  It's pretty amusing.

After an hour spent shivering on a rocky pinnacle above a winter sea, surrounded by fat, evil-tempered seabirds that stab at you with their beaks each time you move, you reconsider your strategy.

I'm a little scared to take up an Ambition with all the big huge YOU CAN'T TURN BACK warnings.  How long do they lock you out of everything else?

Towerfall Ascension - I finally picked up a PS4 for the world's most expensive Towerfall arcade box.  Was pretty fun goign through Dark World with 4 people, although a tad short.  Now we gotta git gud for Hardcore mode, though.

Civ5, SageHack edition - I seem to have lost my save file from the other game I played with this mode on, alas.  Went with a Tall Byzantium, which is probably wrong, since Faith scales well with Wide and neo-Byzantium in the hack has free Shrines in cities...   but eh, the fundamental reasons why Tall is good in BNW still remain, and more to the point, Tall plays faster.  Heck, my nearest neighbor STILL whined about my expansion (I have 3 cities, bro.  3.).  Sadly I had to build Nat. College in my capital rather than my super-science jungle & bananas & sugar city, but so it goes.  Grand Temple also is now less of a complete waste of time, but sadly enough could arguably still be buffed further, mostly because to get GT you aren't going THAT Wide which is kind of what the Piety tree wants you to do (spam them Shrines & Temples).  It was solid enough for me of course thanks to going Tall, which is something that would never be true in normal BNW.

I whined about this in chat already, but I went Jesuit Education for my Reformation belief.  On literally the last turn before the Industrial Era/Modern turn where I'm about to get Public Schools off Scientific Theory and buy them instantly with Faith, I get a Great Prophet pop that I don't even want.  Which of course 0's your faith.  And doesn't happen in the Modern era.  Yeah, I had to reload and buy a useless missionary which slowed up my Public School acquisition spree.  Grahh, need a "don't spawn me a GP" button.  Also, going religious for the most part was kind of a bust.  Even though I won an early city-state quest to generate the most faith, my second-closest neighbor, Persia, had seemingly inexhaustable supplys of Missionaries & Great Prophets to undo almost any conversion work.  I wonder if the AI gets cheaper Faith cost for 'em.

Kamehama messed with me once before (and got slaughtered in the chokepoint near my border city), then he declared war again, so I'm busy burning down the border city to teach him a lesson.  It's too bad it's kind of inconvenient to take his capital, as that would involve a long & slow repositioning of my fleet.  We'll see.

Anyway this is looking like Yet Another Diplo victory game, since my giant piles o' cash have the majority of the city states pledging fealty to me anyway (especially with an Austria eating some of the others), despite there even being a Greece in the game.  Can always fall back on Space, too.

Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright - Lots to talk about here!  Too much so, next post, maybe.  Just finished C25, aka "good luck to the unit you send into the Entrap trap."

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1278 on: June 01, 2016, 05:53:22 AM »
Civ5, SageHack edition - I seem to have lost my save file from the other game I played with this mode on, alas.  Went with a Tall Byzantium, which is probably wrong, since Faith scales well with Wide and neo-Byzantium in the hack has free Shrines in cities...   but eh, the fundamental reasons why Tall is good in BNW still remain, and more to the point, Tall plays faster.  Heck, my nearest neighbor STILL whined about my expansion (I have 3 cities, bro.  3.).

For playing tall, I like The Triarchy of Fury Road.

Witness me.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: June 01, 2016, 05:57:22 AM »
They don't lock you out of the rest of the game, just out of other Ambitions forever.  They do kind of hang around and take up screen space a lot for something you can't interact with much.  Pick your RP focus now.

More of an iOS problem, but they are like always up the top of the action selections and really I wish they were down the bottom when I am not focusing on them.

Whats your name so I can invite you over for coffee or punching
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: June 01, 2016, 06:10:34 AM »
Grefter: Snowflame.

Anthony Edward Stark: That mod looks amusing.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: June 01, 2016, 08:27:07 AM »
Apparently, if you buffer your off-stats to a certain point the game will let you skip to a tier more appropriate for you. I just bought a bunch of shadowy stuff to skip from 23 to 35, and it just let me move onto tier 2 without actually mucking about with courier nonsense. Neato.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: June 01, 2016, 08:29:47 AM »
You can also use it to debuff yourself if there is stuff that gives rewards/let you power grind specific things easier.

It is kind of weird.  Generally there seems to be a hump where you go from one area acing shit to getting like 50/50 and boosting your stats more or dropping back seems beneficial.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: June 01, 2016, 08:38:29 AM »
Yeah I can imagine, the bump from Tier 2 to Tier 3 in the Persuasion path was kinda obnoxious, and I had to use a bunch of Confident Smiles (thx gref) to boost the stat and crank out a bunch of short stories to get enough money to buffer myself up to do anything in the Emperess's Court.  I can imagine Tier 3 to Tier 4 is more brutal... Especially if there isn't anything nearly as lucrative as writing novels for the court (if not in efficiency of turns, in efficiency of "do I have to think about this? no ok go spend all my turns before I head off to work and check in midday to repeat oh look 60 echos thx).

Also, the ambition activities are way down the list and only show up at the first areas (Veilgarden/Spite/Ladybones/StrangerDanger Hill) if you never actually activate them. Which I probably won't until I care more!

Anyway, I suppose I'm doing Shadowy things now. It looks like I can increase casing with Persuasion, too, but I should probably do it with Shadowy to boost the stat. Looks like I can spend whispered hints, too.

BTW, which action in the Empress' Court let me get more whispered hints? I forget.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: June 01, 2016, 08:58:03 AM »
I think it changes after you fuck people.  When building Romance it was like Attend to matters of Romance then Matters of the court (Wikied it to check.). For me at the moment I drink some tea.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: June 01, 2016, 09:45:42 AM »
Yeah a bunch of things open up and close seemingly at random and it is best not to worry about it. You are not going to see everything anyway
I miss the "win your way into a dying widow's wish" opportunity card, I get less cool ones nowadays.
Have you people seen the outlandish artifact description? "This belongs in a museum! Assuming that colonial-imperial appropriation for the purpose of hegemonic taxonomisation is a suitable response to the problem of intercultural contact. Which it probably is, because museums are magnificent institutions.""

Anyway speaking of ambitions, Light Fingers is slow so far but interesting. I am meeting various people, stealing a few things along the way. It does look like I might not get a jewel the size of a cow out of it though :(

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: June 01, 2016, 10:33:39 AM »
FFX - It is out on PC.  Best version of the game.  Not because PCPCPCPCPC but because you can toggle speed up, toggle encounter rate to higher rates and off and a few other things (one I think is just godmode?).

It did really hammer home how fucking annoying Tidus' VA is at the start of the game listening on headphones.  ALso I think I hate him because he fixes ancient machinery by just punching it repeatedly.

Edit - Oh and it doesn't have scene skip and speed up doesn't work in cutscenes so its still kind of bahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Edit 2 - Tidus: Any Blitzball player would know that prayer.  It was the Blitzball sign for victory.

Literally moments after being fucking useless at it.  He is SO fucking terrible at the start of the game.

That said holy shit I am sure I commented on it last time I played but there needs to be sooooo much more WakkaxTidus slash fic than there is.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 11:08:40 AM by Grefter »

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: June 01, 2016, 10:59:38 AM »
FFX - It is out on PC.  Best version of the game.  Not because PCPCPCPCPC but because you can toggle speed up, toggle encounter rate to higher rates and off and a few other things (one I think is just godmode?).

FFX where I can skip all the parts I hate? Fuckin' sold.

Edit - Oh and it doesn't have scene skip and speed up doesn't work in cutscenes so its still kind of bahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Oh nevermind.

... does it at least have the FFX:I hard mode stuff & bosses?

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: June 01, 2016, 11:29:03 AM »
Yeah its the PS Vita remakes on PC with those extra bits, so you can look at the backgrounds at 1920x1080 and see clearly what is 2D images that 3D images float around on top of/behind. Or you could jsut do the smart thing and run it in a small window so you can talk shit at Laggy on IRC.

The toggles are Speed up (2x or 4x), SUpercharge mode (!?!??!?), Encounters on/off, Auto Battle, Hide UI.

Tidus: what's going on
Wakka: The summoner hasn't returned from the trial.
Tidus: Eh?
Wakka: Well apprentice summoner really.
Tidus: Ah?

Fuck you Tidus.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 11:30:39 AM by Grefter »

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: June 01, 2016, 11:36:19 AM »
I suddenly just remembered that Wakka is actually Bender and really wish he told Tidus to bite his shiny metal ass at least once in retrospect.

Also with it being on PC I'm sure there will be a sceneskip mod at some point. At least, if there is a sceneskip mod at some point then I may actually consider buying it. FFX didn't have bad gameplay, just bad writing, and this would fit in with the FF nostalgia binge I went on last summer.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: June 01, 2016, 11:37:51 AM »
You can run it in Windowed borderless mode and alt tab during cutscenes (that's what I have been doing in ones where it is faffing about on boats.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: June 01, 2016, 11:43:03 AM »
Nah.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: June 01, 2016, 11:43:18 AM »
Needs a toggle Tidus on/off

You should do a no sphere grid no items no escape no customize no bllitzball initial equipment only auron only no overdrive no attack no defend challenge.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: June 01, 2016, 11:45:33 AM »
 no defend

do u even remember ffx fenrir

Fallen London - I got Correspondence Stones!  I am a real Archaeologist!  My Rivals got there ahead of me and I had to fight them.  I was worried I would have to do the whole thing again, but nope!  Keep failing, keep trying.  Success on fourth try (2 goes using second chances).

Edit - Oh and for as much as every time I start FFX I rag on Tidus, I like Wakka more each time.  He is such a basic bitch that Tidus totally gets him rock hard with all his Alpha bullshit even though he has all the game of a teenage boy (because he is a teenage boy and Wakka is fucking 23).  Also dig that Wakka being a complete and total fuck up is well established from the start.  Before you even get to Besaid he has said some dumb shit that makes Tidus all sad (which lets be real is the best thing ever), so it is well established later on when he totally fucks up later and is all like "Like happy fireworks!" while Home literally burns to the ground .

Edit 10020394224 - You know what the difference between Tidus and Halley from Shadow Hearts is?  When Halley whines out I HATE YOU he is at least summoning a Black Hole into existence to kill things.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 12:19:03 PM by Grefter »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: June 01, 2016, 01:02:45 PM »
I am the FFX master ask me anything
How would you even notice the lack of a defend command in an RPG, I don't get it

Fallen London: NVM I am still hopeful about the cow sized jewel.
I am on my way to a creepy-ass orphanage. Oh boy here we go.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: June 01, 2016, 01:09:46 PM »
Fallen London - I didn't tell anyone the secrets of the Correspondence and kept them for myself to make people talk about me.  I can give them to Devils.  I really want to but I am worried about the consequences.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: June 01, 2016, 01:35:21 PM »
I can give them to Devils.  I really want to but I am worried about the consequences.

what are you some kinda SJW cuck

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1297 on: June 01, 2016, 08:30:11 PM »
Anthony Edward Stark: That mod looks amusing.

Once you hit the modern era you can do a pretty good rampage with a war rig, a great general and the Lightning Warfare trait from Autocracy. You move ten spaces a turn and attack after moving, which is just terribly fun. 

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: June 02, 2016, 01:51:11 AM »
Fallen London:  started working on the Ambition storyline to hunt the Vake.  So far it has cost me most of my savings, and currently I am in prison.  On purpose!  But in lighter news a mandrake has been taught to sing.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: June 02, 2016, 02:03:48 AM »
#vakenation