Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2016?  (Read 117329 times)

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2016?
« Reply #1400 on: June 14, 2016, 08:33:58 PM »
Man I hope you guys like Skyrim cause everything coming out of E3 looks like Skyrim.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: June 14, 2016, 10:02:45 PM »
ToZ's writing is the worst thing ever since ToD2. I never thought Namco can be this bad, again.
ToZ runs in a totally wrapped up and have the main cast dance in some very hard to swallow hypocrisy. Ugh, I have not feel so pissed off since the ToD2 days. I should mention I am feeling this way despite the game ships Sorey and Mikleo like a married couple from the beginning to the end.

I don't think I can really fault the cast for any kind of hypocrisy? In fact mostly they take reasonable actions given the circumstances and the actions themselves aren't particularly unlikable... I just have to roll my eyes at how bad the plot dialogue and events are towards the endgame. Which is a shame since they could have made something of the plot and characters but didn't. Just that dialogue was so bad. So very, very bad.

Pity since the little skits here and there, and the consistent banter/joking were pretty good. I liked how the cast always had something to say about every new enemy, or the bestiary had mini-discussions about the monsters including some good jokes. But the main plot writing was of such atrocious quality that it had me laughing at dead children so...

It is hypocrisy. Because they can do a lot of things they can do because Rose is a psychopath.
The hypocrisy reaches the peak when she calls out on that zealot priest when she in reality is not much different from him.
And if you let Sorey do what Rose did, he'll become a goblin roaming on the field because you know he doesn't have what it takes to do the kill.
This is why Laila wants Rose in the first place. Rose is such a handy killing machine who can keep Sorey's hands clean just by being there.
This is so disgusting I can't swallow any of it.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: June 14, 2016, 10:27:59 PM »
Danganronpa: 999 3 is going to get released soon, but not yet, and I was up for some similar animu bullshit. The first hour or so is terrible compared to 999. Fucking stop it with the exposition already plz.
I hope it gets more interesting fast. Comparing the writing to Fallen London does not help.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: June 14, 2016, 10:42:09 PM »
Some Vampire moves get annoying to get after Chapter 4.  White Wind is one of them.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: June 14, 2016, 11:29:43 PM »
Danganronpa: 999 3 is going to get released soon, but not yet, and I was up for some similar animu bullshit. The first hour or so is terrible compared to 999. Fucking stop it with the exposition already plz.
I hope it gets more interesting fast. Comparing the writing to Fallen London does not help.

Danganronpa felt like a more shonen-ized version of Zero Escape to me. It does get more interesting. I haven't played the sequels.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: June 14, 2016, 11:54:15 PM »
999 still feels pretty shonen to me, but yeah I agree.
I realize that what's lacking in Danganronpa, and in turn what was great about Zero Escape, is mood. The music can be tense as fuck and the story, while kinda dumb on retrospect, at least takes itself seriously (no dumb bear mascot)

Predictions one hour in:
- Idol girl: Total waifu. Will stay alive
- Baseball guy: Probably a killer
- Fashionista: Is going to get killed fast
- Law dude: Is going to get killed fast
- Clairvoyant guy: Is going to get killed fast
- Writer girl: Probably a killer
- Biker: A suspect, then a victim
The others I'm not so sure about.
I like the chill clairvoyant guy, swimmer, rich jerk and super strong lady.
I dislike the otaku, idol waifu, generic mysterious girl and gothic lolita.

Why are there both a supreme writer and a supreme fanfiction writer. Out of 15 talents did these two have to be so close?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 11:56:05 PM by Fenrir »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: June 15, 2016, 12:03:41 AM »
Fallen London - Inhave spread myself really thin, which means I don't progress anything super fast, but I also get to have all my menaces yoyoibg all over the place.

Watchful I got to 100 so University doesn't see much action.  Dangerous and Shadow both hit the 60 plateau and I don't feel like sinking time into writing for cash.  So I spend lots of Rats to dump Suspiscion and Wounds come and go when I feel like spending a few actions sleeping or drinking things.

I am sad because there is Union action at the docks that I must suppress because my character is vapid and only in pursuit of personal gain where obviously I would normally be burning everything down in the name of the working class.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: June 15, 2016, 12:33:45 AM »
Some Vampire moves get annoying to get after Chapter 4.  White Wind is one of them.

Eh not really. You just need to open up one of the endings to get access to Dimension's Hasp, which has pretty much every enemy. (White Wind is legitimately FAQ-bait and kind of annoying to get, regardless, though. Unless there was a clue for how to get it like in Bravely Second? I don't recall.)

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: June 15, 2016, 12:50:48 AM »
It is faqbait like White Wind (or early access to it) usually is in FF games >_>. See an enemy use a series staple healing move and remember they do it, charm them, get it.  Even the only having MP to use it once/twice is a recurring mechanic for Blue Magic.

It must be worse than I thought though if Elves think getting to the end of the game to go to a side dungeon where you need to trawl through every enemy in the game is easier.

I only really suggest it because it broadens the Vampire skill set in a fun direction that nothing else in it covers.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: June 15, 2016, 01:16:29 AM »
Why are there both a supreme writer and a supreme fanfiction writer. Out of 15 talents did these two have to be so close?

One is a doujinshi author (art and minor writing), one is a full-fledged novelist. I agree they could've gone with two completely different jobs, but they're still pretty distinct. Same difference between the girls who are Pop Singer and Model. Similar but distinct. I only watched the anime, so I'm not sure how they translated the titles in game.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: June 15, 2016, 02:07:49 AM »
It must be worse than I thought though if Elves think getting to the end of the game to go to a side dungeon where you need to trawl through every enemy in the game is easier.

Well, you don't need to get to the end, just an end. One of those is relatively easy to get in chapter 6 (5's possible too I believe, though I can't attest to what it'd be like then).

I'm still of the opinion that vampire had too many hoops to jump through to access it coupled with blue magic just not being a good fit for a lategame job. The good news is that Bravely Second moved the blue mage job much earlier! The bad news is that it tries to balance it by making it consume items. >:(

Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: June 15, 2016, 02:15:00 AM »
Yeah it could have got away with being a chapter 3 job so you unlock it with getting your Airship and not been locked behind a Chapter 5 difficulty pile of optional fights.

On the other hand you get to be Draculas.

I could see tying Blue Magic to items having potential if you did it right.  But thats just like saying you can do all kinds of resource management styles if you do them right.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: June 15, 2016, 06:58:08 AM »
Shale: For a slightly more legit strategy than what Grefter recommended...
2x Spiritmasters, spam the 4x Elemental Immunity ability every time your defenses get overwritten.  They can still kill you with physicals & status, but it's not likely.
Although honestly waiting until C5 makes it a lot easier anyway.  White Wind & Fireball are good but you can get other good stuff.  (Firaja, notably, completely obsoletes...  everything else...  that Vampire does, if you get that, but that's off a Norende Nemesis.)  Also, I'm not sure if the one creature you can get White Wind from even uses it very often, Grefter, so it's still pretty hard to notice!

Elf: You can get to an ending just fine in C5.  Certainly when I did it.  Don't think I went to Dimension's Hasp though as there's basically no reason to go there or know it exists, so...  still pretty annoying to get.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: June 15, 2016, 07:20:03 AM »
I dunno, I definitely noticed them cast it when I replayed.  More than once through the trip through the dungeon.  But you do need to get into situations where some of them are on low HP so they try to heal their ally (which I assume Elves and Snows never let happen).

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: June 15, 2016, 07:22:56 AM »
Yeah I actually wasn't aware they could cast White Wind if not confused, I figured it was like Enchanted Fans in FF5. That's less completely FAQ-bait than I thought, then.

Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: June 15, 2016, 07:26:43 AM »
Yeah its not my fault you are bad.

Edit - Also you know me and memory, I could be wrong and my brain remembers when I was trying to learn it or something.

Edit 2 - also

I dunno, I definitely noticed

I am a fucking idiot.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 07:29:52 AM by Grefter »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: June 15, 2016, 07:36:19 AM »

One is a doujinshi author (art and minor writing), one is a full-fledged novelist. I agree they could've gone with two completely different jobs, but they're still pretty distinct. Same difference between the girls who are Pop Singer and Model. Similar but distinct. I only watched the anime, so I'm not sure how they translated the titles in game.

Oh that's a translation issue then, because the game literally presented him as a fanfiction writer

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: June 15, 2016, 07:38:22 AM »
Fallen London - Inhave spread myself really thin, which means I don't progress anything super fast, but I also get to have all my menaces yoyoibg all over the place.

Watchful I got to 100 so University doesn't see much action.  Dangerous and Shadow both hit the 60 plateau and I don't feel like sinking time into writing for cash.  So I spend lots of Rats to dump Suspiscion and Wounds come and go when I feel like spending a few actions sleeping or drinking things.

I am sad because there is Union action at the docks that I must suppress because my character is vapid and only in pursuit of personal gain where obviously I would normally be burning everything down in the name of the working class.

I tried to roleplay at the beginning but now just do everything I can

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: June 15, 2016, 07:41:11 AM »
Civ5 & FE Fates Birthright: I posted a really long comment.  Knowing that the forums sometimes usually eats my replies, I copied into the clipboard first.  Then I copied some random phrase I wanted to use elsewhere and hit "Post."  It ate it.  I then realized in horror the other copied comment was now all that was in my clipboard, not the huge post.  Goddamnit Tallychu.  I pressed back, but nope, still "contact the Webma5ter" page.

Uber short version:
Civ5, SageHack: Finished.

FE Fates, Revelation: Early Rev chapters are really long.  Screw the Ice chapter, C10.  (I had long explanations of WHY it was wrong, and how it could be done better too.  I'm not spending half an hour re-typing it up.)

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: June 15, 2016, 07:41:45 AM »

Oh that's a translation issue then, because the game literally presented him as a fanfiction writer

To be fair, doujinshi is a kind of fanfiction. It's a legit translation.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: June 15, 2016, 08:49:14 AM »
Yeah but nobody thinks "pictures" when people talk about fanfiction
Knowing their audience (players of an anime game on Vita) they could have probably just left it as doujin instead of translating

I hope I get surprised with my predictions. Idol waifu ends up being the first killer. Buff girl turns into your true waifu. Etc

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: June 15, 2016, 10:10:50 AM »
I have been reading about what people have been doing in the path of self destruction in Fallen London.

Don't bother, you won't even succeed at that.  It is a turbo grind that destroys your character in pieces and then requires you to build back up so it can take more.

It sounds like an amazing bit of design, but not something you can do to go out in a blaze of glory after a month.  it is something you do after playing for a long time and then burn out over a period of time.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: June 15, 2016, 10:48:02 AM »
Well yeah. You can't destroy something you haven't really built?

Also, Nier D ending = Cool

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: June 15, 2016, 10:58:20 AM »
Yeah except fallen London at least has fun gameplay and tells a good story in the main plot.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1424 on: June 15, 2016, 07:49:12 PM »
Man I hope you guys like Skyrim cause everything coming out of E3 looks like Skyrim.

Even the "updated" Skyrim for consoles that looks worse than the Skyrim I run on my PC does?  The one that incorporates the shitshow console mods of Fallout 4?