Register

Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2016?  (Read 117358 times)

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2016?
« Reply #1425 on: June 15, 2016, 08:45:49 PM »
Danganronpa: Saw the first victim
Okay well done game. Respect up

The metaplot is shaping up to be such BS
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 08:54:07 PM by Fenrir »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: June 15, 2016, 09:13:33 PM »
Saw the dying message

Respect way down

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: June 16, 2016, 01:51:00 AM »
http://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-xii-the-zodiac-age-has-a-fast-forward-but-1782062162

FFXII HD version allows you to fast forward movement and battles, adds auto-save feature.  That thar's some good QOL.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: June 16, 2016, 02:14:16 AM »
Yeah that lines up with what they implemented in PC FFX.  It doesn't speed up all the animations, just player controlled ones there, but its still pretty great (So cutscenes and things like opening chests don't zoom zoom, but attacks etc do).
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: June 16, 2016, 10:48:43 AM »
Danganronpa:

Case 1 was fine, Case 2 was very gross. Japanese games and trans issues lol

Is Clairvoyant guy supposed to be anime Zack de la Rocha?

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: June 16, 2016, 10:59:25 AM »
Please no one say yes to that because I really don't have time to not play yet another game Fenrir is doing that I need to.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: June 16, 2016, 11:14:00 AM »
Please no one say yes to that because I really don't have time to not play yet another game Fenrir is doing that I need to.

Visually, yes.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: June 16, 2016, 12:41:47 PM »
Yeah don't worry it's just a character design thing

"Koroshimasu in the name of"

Right now in the game, everyone is letting a serial killer walk around the school because ??? I guess the serial killer didn't kill in the last few days so that's okay

This is the kind of game that needs you to kind of stop thinking about what's happening and get along with the ride, except it's also murder mysteries so you need to stop the ride and start thinking.

I went in expecting something really stupid and anime but still captivating, and it definitely fits the bill
PS: Someone please hunt down the architect of this school, he is a lunatic. All the stairs from one floor to another are far away, and there are no elevators
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 12:51:11 PM by Fenrir »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: June 16, 2016, 03:11:52 PM »
I was doing magic tricks for the Topsy King to level Shadow, making my Sulky Bat disappear.  Get bags of Oddities for it.

Now I have a Starveling Cat.

That was unexpected.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: June 17, 2016, 12:36:19 AM »
Fallen London: I am hungry. A fool left his teeth unguarded in a glass. I ate them all. I think I am getting closer to the name.

Danganronpa: Clairvoyant guy is my man. I maxed my s link with him.

All the other characters are complete anime archetypes (the otaku, the bro, the waifu, the gothic lolita, the Lightning, etc) except him (and maybe the cool buff girl)

He is the oldest guy in the group. His clairvoyance power seems to be more of a joke than anything. He is a real conspiracy theory nutjob. He talks about the occult and is very afraid of ghosts. He is both a con artist and a victim of con artists. He bought a crystal ball that supposedly belonged to Gengis Khan and Napoleon on ebay. He is unreliable and mostly stupid.
He never has anything useful to say and he's mostly ignored by everyone else. He is probably dead last on Danganronpa character popularity rankings in Japan

What the fuck is up with this guy and why is he in this anime game? Why is he still alive when he has "first victim" written all over him??
I both want him to continue surviving somehow and stay completely irrelevent, and to be the secret mastermind behind everything

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: June 17, 2016, 12:54:36 AM »
Final Fantasy Brave Exvius:  So the second island is out, and of course it's dead easy because we've had a month of leveling with no new content.  But storywise... I'm seriously getting some homosexual vibes coming off Lasswell towards Rain.  Rain is of course clueless about this.  Hmm, let's check the artwork.

Yeah Lasswell definitely has some hungry eyes.  I'm expecting him to kill off Fina discreetly so he can have Rain to himself.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: June 17, 2016, 01:32:37 AM »
Fallen London: I am hungry. A fool left his teeth unguarded in a glass. I ate them all. I think I am getting closer to the name.

All the other characters are complete anime archetypes (the otaku, the bro, the waifu, the gothic lolita, the Lightning, etc) except him (and maybe the cool buff girl)

He is the oldest guy in the group. His clairvoyance power seems to be more of a joke than anything. He is a real conspiracy theory nutjob. He talks about the occult and is very afraid of ghosts. He is both a con artist and a victim of con artists. He bought a crystal ball that supposedly belonged to Gengis Khan and Napoleon on ebay. He is unreliable and mostly stupid.
He never has anything useful to say and he's mostly ignored by everyone else. He is probably dead last on Danganronpa character popularity rankings in Japan

What the fuck is up with this guy and why is he in this anime game? Why is he still alive when he has "first victim" written all over him??
I both want him to continue surviving somehow and stay completely irrelevent, and to be the secret mastermind behind everything

If I remember right, he actually was the first victim in the demo-version of the game.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: June 17, 2016, 02:41:58 AM »

I think the anime had his title translated as "Ultimate Spirit Medium" or something, but yeah. He was one of my favorites too.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: June 17, 2016, 02:55:52 AM »
That's some serious pout going on there CK.

Fallen London - I am trying to get my Shadow up so I can go on bigger longer heists.  Need to get about 10 more levels of Shadow to be able to cash in Casing for things that help on the endeavour.

Time to turbo grind doing magic tricks for homeless people.

Edit - http://saint-arthur.tumblr.com/post/146004994971/thank-you-for-your-continued-lore-replies-to proof that Seeking is the Fenrirest thing ever.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 06:29:27 AM by Grefter »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: June 17, 2016, 01:53:49 PM »

Yeah Lasswell definitely has some hungry eyes.  I'm expecting him to kill off Fina discreetly so he can have Rain to himself.

Must like the way he grips that sword.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: June 17, 2016, 05:18:27 PM »
And with the pelvic thrust it drives you insane.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: June 17, 2016, 09:25:30 PM »
Atelier Sophie: Finished, Platinum'd. Muuuuuch easier this time around. There's only one ending, and only one trophy is missable (if you save over your file from before end-boss. What Atelier veteran does that though?).

Despite the issues at the start, it definitely evened out. But I think the case here is partly First Atelier on a New System Syndrome mixed with not really excelling in any one area. Ayesha had Story and OST, Shallie and E&L at least had Combat and Alchemy. While Sophie does everything competently, nothing really sticks out as exceptional. It tries some new things in terms of combat, alchemy, and which item traits are most effective, but it mostly whiffs.

The alchemy system stands out in particular. They completely got rid of Cost for Traits on items, opting instead to make the better attack items more difficult to craft due to essentially puzzle-like layouts when crafting them. Early on it was difficult to both max out bars and use items that had the traits you wanted, but they didn't go far enough. Late-game once you refine the cauldrons you could very easily do both. I think maybe if they had made it so if you over-wrote an item on the table you couldn't transfer its traits it would have had the desired effect, but they opted to make it relatively easy compared to past games. Tried something new, but didn't quite work.

OST has only a handful of standout tracks. Def one of the weakest Atelier OSTs. Cast is okay, but not a whole lot of interesting stuff is done with them. Stakes are sort of established later in the story, but nothing is really made compelling. What really drove me forward to finish it so fast was the systems in general made it pretty easy to blow through the game. Even on Despair the game got super easy outside the top two superbosses, and I didn't even really get past 150 Quality items and equipment.

Despite that though, while nothing stands out as great, nothing also really stands out as terrible. I managed to fix the cropping issue by discovering a menu on my TV I'd never had to use before, and being able to get through the game seeing everything in such a short time was a plus, I guess.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 09:04:22 AM by Hunter Sopko »

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1442 on: June 17, 2016, 09:56:42 PM »
Resident Evil 6 with all the bundled in DLC is only eight bucks right now, so I picked it up.  Only played the first act of the Leon campaign so far, and the city escape is actually decently tense and has good atmosphere, which I like. Little cliched but Resident Evil is at its best when it's kind of self-aware (see: RE4).

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: June 18, 2016, 08:24:15 AM »
Resident Evil 6 with all the bundled in DLC is only eight bucks right now, so I picked it up.  Only played the first act of the Leon campaign so far, and the city escape is actually decently tense and has good atmosphere, which I like. Little cliched but Resident Evil is at its best when it's kind of self-aware (see: RE4).

Prepare for a trip of spastic nonsense.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1444 on: June 18, 2016, 09:34:40 AM »

Prepare for a trip of spastic nonsense.

Eh, for eight bucks I'm down for spastic nonsense. I paid full price for FF13 and that was spastic nonsense that thought I was some kind of cognitive subnormal.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: June 18, 2016, 07:21:23 PM »
Child of Light: Finished.

Overall, I'm unimpressed by the game I have to say.  I'm not fond of the interrupt mechanics because I never felt safe doing anything and enemies always felt like they had the advantage there, which I'm not really fond of in gameplay.  It's especially insulting when enemies have cheap "Interrupt Counters" that PUNISH you for doing such things, making things like "high speed" punishing for you, but almost never the case with enemies.  I vastly prefer Grandia's style of moves having interrupt properties, while others do not, as now it's a case of "What is optimal here?"  I will say Interrupt counters aren't ALWAYS bad, but ones where the game actively punishes your team feels detrimental to the system, especially when it's something like "lol damage + paralysis, fuck you for learning the system!"

The other thing that I found problematic was fights had very little deviation in them; how hard it was really depended upon how many enemies you were fighting.  1 enemy = curbstomp, 2 enemies = alright, 3 enemies = this is a pain in the ass until one dies.  Boss fights I felt were the exact same thing everytime; once ONE support dies, the fight just kind of falls apart.  I think there was like one fight where-in I killed the support and had a reset and that was due to unexpected revival?  Only fight I approached differently.  yeah, the final had revival, but even then it was easier to kill support, then wail on boss until it revives a support, kill support, repeat.  It didn't help how good items were in this game leading me to underuse certain characters based entirely around support.

The plot was...kind of bad to be honest.  The main problem is there's like no focus on it whatsoever until Act 3 pops up.  This makes the big plot twist surrounding one character fall on it's face because you don't grow attached to said character so when the secret is revealed, it's more of an "oh, ok, that's nice."  It was a complete moment of "Show, don't tell damn it!"  Then after that the game is like "so...yeah, go kill the villain and her henchmen" and tried to do all POWER OF FRIENDSHIP but that scene felt so rushed, and again, I didn't really feel an attachment to anyone in the roster, and the story's attempt to go from "things are only kind of inconvenient" to "SHIT GOT REAL" gradually...again, the fact that we weren't there to see this happening hurts.  I can't say this enough; show, don't tell.  Having the butler go "Oh no, my lord, you're dying!" or "oh no, the floods are rising!" doesn't do much; it's more powerful to show the people actually suffering, for example.  We don't get a sense of gravity when we are told it's happening as opposed to showing it (it's for this same reason I think Lucas is an awful silent protagonist,  but I won't get into the details there)

Also, the rhyming scheme got old after a point, and the rhymes made it sound awkward and forced in many instances.  I should note that I'm not against rhyming schemes, but when it's done well, the dialog sounds natural in-spite of the rhyming, just a bit poetic as well.  CoL had many moments where the dialog came off as awkward just to fit the rhyme.   God knows Dr. Seuss has proven you can do that...ok, his dialog was anything BUT natural, but then, his stories are so goofy that the unique style compliments it, not detracts. 

And I know people are going to hate me for this, but the music didn't impress me really at all; honestly I felt like I was listening to the same song in different styles for over half the game, and the times a new song kicked in, it was too underplayed.  All the music really blends together and not in a good way.  I know a lot of people like the music in this game, but it did absolutely nothing for me.

All in all, I think my problems with this game is that it favored being "artsy" above all else.  The Rhyming style, the adherence to a very specific music style with no real deviation from it, and the art itself all lend itself to a game being artsy, and unfortunately, that does nothing for me.  Yeah, I've played and liked artsy games before, such as Okami, but Okami just felt like a much better put together game than this.  I can see why there are people who like it, but honestly, CoL did very little for me.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 07:25:35 PM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: June 18, 2016, 07:43:23 PM »
Romancing Saga 2: picked this up for my tablet. It is full of hate, but it's an old Saga game so I knew what I was getting into. On the third generation(not counting Leo as one), currently turtling my way to glory with the Mus Palisade formation because the rules of Imperial succession in Avalon are kinda wonky and I have a yak herder on the throne. I'll be honest, I wouldn't be having as much fun as I am with it if I weren't getting occasional guidance from Niu. Old Saga hates you, but gives you the tools to hate it right back just as hard if you know where to find them, and thanks to Niu I do in fact know where to find enough of them~

Currently running with a Saigo Tribesman(emperor), Crusader(M), Mercenary(M), City Mage(M), Free Mage(F), team is working out pretty well. My Mercenary is morally opposed to learning new techs, sadly. Hasn't gotten a one this generation(running GReatswords), but my Saigo emperor has picked up like 7 new club techs, which is cool. And my Crusader picked up Mince and Divide(on the Splashblade) so he's just churning out ridiculous damage and tossing some rather accurate ID when I need it. I need better MT though, LIGHT BALL is still the best I've got. Grinding up Wind/Fire/Earth magics in hopes of something having better MT soon.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: June 18, 2016, 07:49:41 PM »
Meeple:

I won't defend the plot of the game and I agree with some of your criticisms about the gameplay (the repetitiveness of fight formations is a big issue in the game and you hit it on the nose about how things are usually only challenging while there are 3 enemies, get one down and you win).

That said,
I'm not fond of the interrupt mechanics because I never felt safe doing anything and enemies always felt like they had the advantage there

The interrupt mechanics massively favour the player because the firefly can mess with enemy turns so easily. If you and an enemy are both racing to get in the first shot to interrupt each other, your firefly means you win. (If the gap was far enough that the enemy would win anyway, then you just don't slow the enemy and it'll get a turn off before it can interrupt you.) Though biased in your favour I still found it pretty interesting.

Also I thought most of the counter-interruptions were fine? They're usually given to bosses as a way to keep you from locking them down entirely and they tend to just buff the boss a relatively minor amount. It's still usually in your favour to interrupt them, just not as much as it normally would because it results them being hasted or uninterruptable for the next few turns or whatever. I agree that a paralysis interruption-counter would be a bit of a jerk move (unless it was 1-2 seconds, which would still serve the core purpose of making interruption a bit less potent without being actively puitive); I didn't see that one myself.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: June 18, 2016, 08:36:28 PM »
Firefly only works on one enemy (which is why one enemy is a joke), and I didn't feel it "massively biased the player" as a result, and there were many moments where enemies felt fast despite the Firefly.  It helps, but didn't feel like it shifted the game entirely in the players favor for the system.

The thing about Interrupt Counter Mechanics is it'd be fine in a game where you had more control over Interrupts.  Again, I really didn't like that every single action you had interrupted, and there were many instances where-in I found myself wasting turns because if I interrupted, interrupt counter kicks in, and if it was something like Slow or Haste, your interrupt ends up being completely negligible since they're making up lost ground as is (the "Immovable" counter I was fine with since yeah, you interrupt once, now they're immune.  Actually, I question why the game didn't just have more bosses use that.)  The idea of "take damage = interrupt" just felt like an oversimplified way of handling the system to me, which is why I drastically prefer Grandia's method where-in specific attacks have that property, and you have more control in the system itself, rather than relying on the firefly mechanic.

I guess we just both disagree on this, but I really was not fond of the battle system, and don't really see anything it did better than the non-sucky Grandias (...ok, being plural might be too nice there...), and found combat more a chore than actually fun most of the time (often I was only going into fights because of typical RPG reasons of "I'm going to regret missing out EXP, aren't I?" until near the end when I just said "fuck it")  I know I harped on it, but it was the overall combat system that left a negative impression, so this is more one element that stood out to me.
It's really more a case of the nitpick scenario where attacking the singular point is more a result of a greater problem, rather than the nitpick being the problem itself, and that's the game's combat system just wasn't good enough for me to overlook the things I didn't like about it.  As I said, I felt combat as a whole was a chore, and that in itself is going to be a big problem.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 08:46:50 PM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: June 18, 2016, 08:56:55 PM »
Well I'm certainly not going to argue it's as good as Grandia 3; the latter had a larger party, positioning elements, a nifty skill system, considerably better enemy/encounter design, and I'm inclined to agree that making interruptions only a property of certain attacks is a net positive... for all that I don't think it's clearcut, since one issue in Grandia is that you don't know which enemy attacks can interrupt and which won't until one actually does. And there's something to be said for the way that CoL lets you dynamically control the interrupt system.

I do feel that CoL's interrupt system favours the player, though. Yes, the firefly can only mess with one enemy, so if TWO enemies would be getting turns at times which might interrupt you, yeah, it won't save you. That's when you defend instead! But overall due to the fact that (a) you have said firefly to mess with things, and (b) enemies don't use the system intelligently e.g. by defending, it really feels like you should interrupt enemies more than they interrupt you.

The slow counter is rather punitive, yes. I agree that that one is pushing it, though I forget the details on exactly how long it lasted and how effective it was, etc.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.