Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2016?  (Read 122445 times)

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2016?
« Reply #150 on: January 19, 2016, 07:24:21 AM »
Anyway I should have written this post sometime last week but I completed a second playthrough of Undertale. Go play this. Spoiler talk time.

I did a Pacifist route. Unfortauntely my first file was -almost- Pacifist (killed Toriel, though, so yes I did need a full replay), so not much was different, but the game was certainly good enough to experience a second time and I did appreciate some of the cute nods to my past playthrough. I was a bit disappointed with how uninvolved Toriel is in the plot, but I guess it creates the feeling that you're alone when you meet Sans/Papyrus, and that's important I suppose. Just a bit of a striking contrast with how you can befriend Papyrus and call him at every opportunity. At least she reappears for the end. And yeah more Alphys is good, as advertised.

(Side note: I liked the part at the end where you can literally go back and talk to everyone, though it did kinda drive home that the game could have used a run option and/or a bit more in the way of backtracking options... getting all the way back to start of the ruins was a bit of a slog!)

Anyway Flowey does, as I was told, get much better on this route. I feel like the True Lab plot shouldn't have been buried away as much, it was good stuff and rounds out some key points in the backstory. And while I'd accidentally stumbled upon the "Flowey is Asriel" spoiler after I beat the game, I didn't know the much more important twist that Asriel is possessed by [player name] and that [player name] is... basically scum. Which is, amusingly, FAR Less out of nowhere than Flowey/Asriel being randomly maniacal.

I know some people have an issue with the game assuming Chara/Flowey is bad, but I certainly don't mind. Hell, it's not even so much that s/he's innately bad but that s/he turned to bad things because s/he was bored. Which... works well as a meta thing. I mean I think I'm a pretty good person and I'm tempted to do the same, despite liking the characters!

But ultimately, I don't think I will. I thought I was going to, but I'm not sure I have the stomach for it. I'm attached to these characters, the way the game wanted me to be attached to them. Killing them "just to see what happens" doesn't fit well with me. This isn't a judgement call on anyone who does, obviously (they uh are fictional), in fact people doing that creeps me out 1000% less than people who kill prostitutes in GTA because the game fucking calls you on it and it isn't framed as some sort of weird power trip. But I found that I'm just not willing to.

It's interesting to compare this to, say, Soul Nomad, for like the two people reading this who have played both games. Undertale Genocide does remind me, in principle, a fair bit of Soul Nomad's demon path. And while I winced a bit at some of the terrible things that happend in the demon path, it didn't really get to me. Since in my experience my different reactions are roughly typtical, I think it's interesting to consider why this is. It's easy to say "well Undertale's characters and setting are better" and while that's probably true (though SN does have Gig...), I don't think that's the whole reason, or even most of it. Rather, I think the spare vs. fight mechanics do put you in a place to consider more the morality of what you're doing. Undertale, rather unusually for a video game IMO, gets you to really consider the morality of your choices. And for me at least, not many games do.

I do kinda want to see do boss fights, but oh well.

Speaking of which, another criticism I've seen is that the game kiiinda judges you for doing bad things. But... man, that's what I like about it! I think playing so many games normalises this idea that killing people is something you do "for fun" or "for more exp" or "just to see what happens" (that is, when it isn't 100% required by the game itself). On some level, that is weird! Undertale isn't going to change how I'll try to get more Exp out of a Fire Emblem map, sure, but this behaviour is absolutely worth calling into question. The game/Toby Fox doesn't really seem to like this behaviour and *that's okay*. All works of media can put forward viewpoints; Animal Farm doesn't like autocratic governments, Avatar doesn't like putting resource exploitation before human concerns, and Undertale doesn't like the normalising of violence in video games. You don't have to agree with any of these views, but the work certainly isn't reduced by putting them forward, and asking you to consider them, whether you ultimately agree or disagree. Ultimately this is arguably Undertale's greatest strength: it forces the player to truly consider that question. Very few other games have done this, and none that I've personally played (yeah yeah I know they exist, Undertale is the first one that sounded like something I genuinely wanted to play, plus it managed to become far more culturally relevant than any previous such game).

Good stuff.

The only other thing I'm playing is Splatoon. While also good, it is at the complete opposite end of the spectrum for how much there is to talk about regarding it. I like the roller and the inkbrush and the splattershot!

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 19, 2016, 01:56:16 PM »
I don't really have anything to say except what I've already said, except I lied I said this before. However, I still advocate you at least youtube an Undyne fight in a run where someone kills both Papyrus and Undyne because it is so, so good. The more I think about it the more Undyne is my favorite character and this + Genocide run Undyne has a lot to do with it.

In any case, glad you enjoyed the game.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 19, 2016, 05:45:37 PM »
Cap'n: I have not! What makes it shiny?

On that note, more Heroes of the Storm with Ash. Still only playing against bots. Actually still losing to them. It's kinda surprising. The method of progression in HotS means you can't outscale them quite so ridiculously as in LoL.

God you are way more mobile in LoL. I keep getting caught out because I don't think about how slow most characters are.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 19, 2016, 06:18:46 PM »
What level bots are you playing against?

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #154 on: January 19, 2016, 08:25:24 PM »
Played Heroes of the Storm with Ash a bunch last night. Us two vs AI only.

Pretty much confirms what I thought: I like MOBAs and League is my peak for complexity. Actually had quite a bit of fun. Reduction of overhead (talents only) isn't too big a deal, though I do miss some things. Champ pool is definitely shallower. Map agendas being largely different is nice. Also playing with Ash is fun.

Not a League killer for me, but still fun.

I feel like the smaller character pool is probably tied to the larger number of characters that are at least okay to play?  League seems to have a lot of dead weight, while HotS only has one character widely considered unsalvageable.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 19, 2016, 08:30:19 PM »

Pretty much confirms what I thought: I like MOBAs and League is my peak for complexity. Actually had quite a bit of fun. Reduction of overhead (talents only) isn't too big a deal, though I do miss some things. Champ pool is definitely shallower. Map agendas being largely different is nice. Also playing with Ash is fun.

I feel like the smaller character pool is probably tied to the larger number of characters that are at least okay to play?  League seems to have a lot of dead weight, while HotS only has one character widely considered unsalvageable.

The GazLORD's rule of bottom Tier was recently undone by Failnara's arrival.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 19, 2016, 08:56:50 PM »
Hey, Gaz tiers in low tier with Nova and Lost Vikings now.  Bottom tier is just Lunara.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 19, 2016, 08:58:46 PM »

Eh... most champs are LoL are actually reasonably playable at most most levels of play (though the pro selection is definitely a lot narrower, yeah). The worst win rate at the game at the moment is... 42-ish percent for some off-main role uses of certain characters? The actual lowest looks to be Azir at 43.6%, and that's probably somewhat offset by him being a fairly high skillcap champ, with several others coming in at 44-45. Definitely several champs with fairly low play rates though. But yeah, I guess it depends on your definition of dead weight?

I will say my impressions might also be biased by this week's free hero pool?

And all that said, to be clear, it's not a bad thing. I'm probably just too used to having like a hundred champs to pick from instead of like, 8 at the moment. >_>

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 19, 2016, 09:17:49 PM »
Ehh, Nova has niche uses against Jain/Kael due to the Gathering Power change.  Vikings will always be strong on team-fight centric maps.  I'd peg Illidan, Hammer and Tychus as worse than those two(four).

For some %%% hotdogs comparisons...

Lunara's sitting at a hilarious 38.9%.  Greymane's at 40.8% but he's only a week old so he's got time to settle.  Above him is Abathur at 41.1% which is too be expected from the Best Friend.  Six more heroes between him and Brightwing at the 45% marker.  So 9/47 Heroes below 45%.  15/47 are above 50% win rate.  (Gall gets away with having a 47.2% winrate to Cho's 45.7%)

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 19, 2016, 09:20:26 PM »
I dunno about a lot of deadweight.  League has some champions who end up playing very similarly (as might be expected with a cast of 128), but in general, League's balance is pretty good.  The main issue is having to balance simultaneously for "competitive" and "casual":

Good-in-casual, bad-in-competitive:
* Champions who are easy to play (Malzahar, Garen, Warwick) tend to have ~52% win rates among casuals but never get seen in high-level esports tournaments.  If they *were* pushed for tournament usefulness they tend to be completely oppressive in casuals and get nerfed shortly after.
* Champions who punish poor map awareness / coordination on the enemy team (Evelynn, Teemo, HOTS Nova).

Bad-in-casual, good-in-competitive:
* Champions who are mechanically hard to play (Azir, Yasuo).
* Champions with tons of mobility (Lee Sin, Le Blanc, Zed, Elise, Rek'Sai).

Bad in both:
* Champions who are toxic to gameplay when ahead, so Riot doesn't want them to be particularly close to Tier 1 ever (Aatrox, old Poppy, old Fiora, Katarina).

Riot really can't let any 1 champ run riot for too long in casual (it's their main money-making source), and they also don't want eSports to get TOO repetitive with the same picks every time, so they have to hard-nerf some of the translates-well-to-competitive down to really awful sub-45% win-rates in casual just to see them not constantly picked.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 20, 2016, 01:28:38 AM »
It's entertaining so far regardless. I'm not sure how I feel about the less transparent Crystarium mechanics (in fact, FF13-2 being generally more opaque than its predecessor feels like a trend), but the gameplay bases set by FF13 are definitely enough to carry a second game, at least.

The one thing to keep in mind regarding FF13-2's Crystarium is that you get bonus stat boosts based on what role you boost when, in particular those large nodes.

So using Ravager on that node will give you a Magic Boost, Sentinel an HP Boost, and Commando an Attack Boost, on top of the boosts you'd normally get for raising the role normally.  Might be a bit off on the stats, but if you want to twink, just just keep in mind when those boosts come!

FF13-2's gameplay...it has the same base as FF13, yeah, but it doesn't feel quite like as much love and care was put into the system?  In particular, a large number of randoms can be just blitzed down with Com/Com/Rav or some such, a strategy that generally didn't work in FF13 until you were clearly stronger than the enemies in question, so you were forced to do some paradigmn shift if you wanted to get a good ranking (I mean, you COULD just Solidarity through a lot of fights but that'd take forever and gives you like no stars.)

FF13-2 does have 2 notable advantages on FF13 in combat, namely it actually addresses two of FF13's biggest obvious battle system flaws, two that were basically related since fixing one pretty much kills the argument for maintaining the other:

-Ability to swap leader mid-battle
-Leader dies =/= game over

The latter only makes sense if you don't have the former, and well, since they have the former, the latter dies with it.  It's nice knowing that you have SOME lenience if the enemy pulls a bullcrap move, Serah dies, and you won't get a reset, instead you just play as Noel for however long you want.  It also makes instant death far less stupid to boot.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 20, 2016, 05:59:58 AM »
Cap'n: I have not! What makes it shiny?

The character progression is more RPGish.  You design your character out of battle rather than inside, and there's multiple successful ways to build each character.  But yeah, Russia.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 20, 2016, 08:06:46 AM »
Trails in the Sky SC

Just got to the final chapter.  Still greatly enjoying it so far.  I've a few potential complaints I've mentioned elsewhere, but we'll see about them.  And hey, at least now I know why there was a giant underground lair of robots in FC.  Always nice to get an explanation for these things.

It's kinda hard to talk about, though, since the most interesting things are the plotty things which usually require not just knowing FC, but SC too!  Instead I'll talk about an element I liked about First Chapter and how it changes a little bit.  So, something FC does that I really respect is get across a feeling of -scale- much better than most RPGs.  Your quest is spending two months walking around every nook & cranny of a small country, learning its ways, meeting people, making friends, and so on.  People sometimes look at you weird when you say you're walking!  And while for sanity's sake everything is ludicrously sped up, it's pretty easy to tell from context that a 3 minute (skipping encounters) stroll from the city to an outlying village or farm is really more like 3 hours, when it's occasionally relevant how long it takes to rush from one to the other and you see it's nighttime when you arrive.  At the border gates between provinces, there's little inns for travelers, and it seems mostly merchants carrying heavy cargo are the ones who frequent the land routes - too annoying to ship big stuff by sea, I suppose.  I guess it's probably a day or two travel between most cities.  There is no warp or exit spell.  You get to walk everywhere and appreciate everything.  No, you can't go back to the first town, that'd be ludicrous and take a long time.  As a result, I really feel like I got to know Liberl deeply.  (I guess maybe Final Fantasy X does something similar, for another example of this done right; they restrict the airship from you until very late in that game, so you get to appreciate the pilgrimage.  Although as usual it's weird you never really get to visit Bevelle due to evil budget constraints.  Oh well.)

(very minor spoilers for SC)
In SC, you know the country now, so it's time to get to business.  You're even required to take airship rides between regions now, as you're in a bit more of a hurry and it's an excuse for some nice party chat & character beats anyway.  None of this slow stroll stuff.  This also works; it's nice to see people on the airline and get a feel for more standard transit, and it helps push in the you're-a-grownup-now vibe.  However...  you actually can visit every region again toward the end of the game, and there's even 2 sidequests that kind of encourage you to return to areas you were at before.  Now, for the most part, I like this!  It's an excuse to see how everyone is doing, marvel at the huge amount of text they wrote with a ton of events still going on in each city, etc.  On the downside, it does kind of lend itself to the old RPGWorlditis problems, which is something Trails magnificently avoided before.  This puts a bit more focus on how you can run around the entire country in 10 minutes, which even if amped up to 10 hours in off-screen hiking, is still a bit small.  It makes Liberl feel a little less like, say, Belgium, and more like, I dunno, some metro area with 5 cities that kinda grew into each other.  Yeah, yeah, this is an EXCEEDINGLY minor complaint, but.  Just sayin'!  It does lose a little something.

Let me yabber a bit more about something in FC and how it changed in SC, although not really to the better.  A more pertinent SPOILERS warning here.

FC, for all that it has a quite low body count (basically zero, if we ignore backstory deaths!) has some scenes of...  how to put it...  deadly peril.  Not common, but they're there.  And the characters even react to this appropriately, and remember this as such!  Mayor Dalmore being about 3 seconds away from point-blank shooting Joshua with a gun, for example, or the Black-Clad Soldiers on top of Carnelia Tower.  Your opponent in that game is a person of culture; he doesn't want to break things, so he wants to keep needless deaths to a minimum, but his forces won't hesitate to try to kill people who really are getting in their way (Agate, or even just blasting Gilbert in the leg & threatening the lighthouse keeper.)  Sure, it doesn't work, but it doesn't become so overused that I became skeptical , and characters remembering and talking about their traumatic brush with death helps sell the threat as real.

SC...  well.  I mentioned already that the villainy is more of the "wanky anime dude with superpowers" school.  Anyway, the script has the balancing act of not wanting to immediately cause a mass crisis, but having considerably more bloodthirsty villains than FC had.  And the game addresses this head-on, to its credit.  It's as simple as this: one of the senior leaders of the bad guys is explicitly ordering them not to kill anyone, even over their whining about how killing is totally awesome and fun.  Great!  This is a lot better than the villainy being inexplicably hapless a la Silver Age comic book villains or something.  Said villain himself also quite obviously intentionally spares or lays off Our Heroes several times (including one time that was PURE BULLSHIT.  No, you can't wreck a plane and expect everyone to safely survive the crash, I'm sorry, nobody is THAT good.).  Okay, fine, I get it, he doesn't really want us killed, and possibly even wants us to stop his organization's plans via some very oblique deep game.  Still...  while I certainly prefer this narrative angle to many other options, it gives up that sense of peril.    After being at the enemy's mercy several times and not been slaughtered, I start feeling a little too safe.  Hey, sure, let's go invade the enemy base, it's not like they'll actually kill us or anything for doing this.  Either crank down the number of scenes of being let off by the bad guys, or figure out some other way to have tension in them...  for example, a WA4 Jeremy equivalent of the 'loose cannon who chafes against the rules' or the like to add a bit more danger & spice back into the mix.  While such characters are hardly favorites and often kinda lame, they are at least unpredictable.

To be 100% clear, we're talking about marking an "A" down to an "B+" here (even if I'm not scared for my characters' personal safety, I am concerned about other bad consequences, at least?) with yon average video game's sense of authentic danger/consequences being at like a C-, but so it goes.

--
Anyway, in more important news, I have recovered ancient Zemurian recipies.  All will quake at the power of my superfood.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 08:14:39 AM by SnowFire »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 20, 2016, 01:31:30 PM »
Pocket Mortys: continues to be dull. I still like:
- Some Morty descriptions (Mermaid Morty leads fishermen to their death with his songs?)
- The complete lack of balance after a point (you can buy powerful, infinitely stackable , cheap, permanent stat boosts)
- The ridiculous evolutions. I particularly like Spoon Morty -> Fork Morty -> Spork Morty. I obviously was expecting a Knife Morty instead. There's also Blue Shirt Morty -> Green Shirt Morty -> Orange Shirt Morty -> Red shirt morty etc. It goes on and on.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 21, 2016, 06:14:23 PM »
Ehh, Nova has niche uses against Jain/Kael due to the Gathering Power change.  Vikings will always be strong on team-fight centric maps.  I'd peg Illidan, Hammer and Tychus as worse than those two(four).

For some %%% hotdogs comparisons...

Lunara's sitting at a hilarious 38.9%.  Greymane's at 40.8% but he's only a week old so he's got time to settle.  Above him is Abathur at 41.1% which is too be expected from the Best Friend.  Six more heroes between him and Brightwing at the 45% marker.  So 9/47 Heroes below 45%.  15/47 are above 50% win rate.  (Gall gets away with having a 47.2% winrate to Cho's 45.7%)

I think Greymane will shake out pretty well.  He doesn't have great sustain but he can blow people the fuck up and he's got a vulnerability debuff he can throw*.  At least by my experience he also counters Kael and Jaina really well.

As an aside, he's also really fun to play and feels smooth to use, especially in contrast to the last couple releases.

*Unless you take Go For The Throat, which is much worse but is really fun to use if the enemy is bad at the game.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 06:15:54 PM by Anthony Edward Stark »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 22, 2016, 09:53:12 AM »
Nuclear Throne: got Melting's b skin, you get that by finishing the game not getting it once basically.
This isn't Binding of Isaac so this was actually fun.

You can just grab boiling veins (no damage from fire / explosions below 4HP)+ a grenade shotgun or a bazooka and have everything explode everywhere.
What actually saved me though was the assault slugger in the frozen city - that thing is sick. I killed lil hunter super fast.
An absolutely ridiculous super crossbow in the second to last level also helped against the final boss.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 22, 2016, 01:11:14 PM »
Dank Souls - I got my little brother to play this. He started a sorcerer on his Steam.  He visited one day, so we started a Str character on mine.  He likes the Zweihander a lot.  We beat the gargoyles.  I fucked around a bit showing him some stuff.  He went home.  Got Zweihander on his Sorcerer.  Now a week later he has Bed of Chaos, Gwyn and the DLC left to do (with no desire to do it).  He is better at the game than I am by many orders of magnitude.  Sure I know stuff and can easy do some skill check bosses, but he smashed through what was like a 2 or 3 try sabbatical for a month for me in a week.

I don't think he likes the game, but it has definitely got under his skin.  There was questions about borrowing Demons's Souls's and I bought him Dank Schoulars of the First Sin for his Birthday while it is on special and now he has to play it.

Life isn't fucking fair though.  Goddammit how many times have I played this shit?  He one shot Ghost House.  Fuck that place.  Also I fucking loathe the Zweihander.  It is slow as fuck and a billion miles long and a hitbox that I swear hits half as much space as Club R2 and jump attack.

Edit oh I think O&S was 3 or 4 pulls for him. I haven't even been feeding him the good tips, just some unintuitive ones.  He also got the Iato jump first try, and I watched him Zerg his way down to the bottom bonfire after getting toxiced on like the first ladder after the upper bonfire.

I am at least better at Sen's, but also have like 10 hours more practice at it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 01:16:00 PM by Grefter »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 22, 2016, 01:48:25 PM »
Dank Souls -

Did a playthrough where I was not allowed to block ever. I was technically allowed to block with a weapon two-handed but I ended up never doing that. Was pretty easy, actually. Got 14 Faith for Astora's Straight Sword for the early game, then transitioned into Quality to use the Claymore. Got 15 INT to use Greater Magic Weapon, and used Hidden Body to skip a lot of things that were either gonna be tedious AF (Duke's Archives) or really super difficult without blocking (Anor Londo Dragonslayer Bow Knights). Ended up swapping between Wolf Ring and Dark Woodgrain ring, depending if I needed poise or not. Thought O&S was going to be the most difficult boss, but they only took 6 tries. I suppose I've done that fight too many times. Seath and Four Kings were as easy as they normally are, since neither of those are fights you guardfuck your way through.

Nito caused me the most amount of resets, because apparently when faced with the proposition of spooky skeletons I decide to just prostrate myself in the most flagrantly embarrassing manner possible, and... yeaaah. I got some mental block with that boss and I don't know why. He shouldn't be harder than O&S for me but there you go.

Artorias also wasn't that difficult, since like Four Kings the key to beating him is learning to dodge his attacks in the first place.

Manus is currently pushing my shit in since I haven't fought him nearly the number of times I've fought O&S, but then I'll be basically be done. I may be misremembering, but Kalameet, like 4K and Arty, is a fight you win by learning to dodge his attacks, so I don't imagine he'll be much harder than he normally is. And NG Gwyn sucks so yeah.

It was kinda neat not turtling my way through the entire game, and the amount of time it took me to get through is actually a fair bit lower than a normal game. Fun times, good game.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 22, 2016, 02:07:18 PM »
My experience doing challenge runs is that turtling/blocking leads to more challenges than skilled rolling with a 2-handed weapon, so it's not too surprising you didn't find it so bad to me. Going over 25% equip weight is one of the bigger difficulty modifiers and only Havel's set truly mitigates the drawbacks to an extent. (And Poise tanking is only 'great' against a couple of lategame bosses, most notably Four Kings--it also does little for you against Bed of Chaos LOL)

As for the Zwei, I think it's awesome against most regular enemies in the game. It's more versatile than the Great Club since you don't have to invest much in it to get results, meaning your little brother probably could add more to HP/End, which makes the game easier for sure. Or maybe he's just good at games, who knows. Its lowish speed is not a problem as long as you master the timing/spacing of the weapon.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 22, 2016, 02:19:51 PM »
Giantdads all wield zweihanders for a reason
These things rule

I don't even really block anymore in any Souls game. Gotta go fast

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 22, 2016, 08:47:20 PM »
I was specific on the R2, Jump attack and Club.  I meant the basic Club, not Great or Large.  Just Club.  The area on those things is enormous.  Giant dad's were in it for the R1.  That R1 is great against humans.  It is terrible at hitting things on the ground under your feet (Giant Leeches were a Thing tm).  Also 4 Str worth of Endos and Vit lol

But most importantly, you srsly gonna say stuff about stats and scaling on a weapon when literally the single most important thing in a souls game is how well you can use the move set, when i specifically said that for me I don't like it?  Plz no thx.   I know the Zwei, I know its strengths.  The poise damage is amazing, the base stats are hugenormous.  That E2 is fully capable of exploiting Black Knight ai perfectly, the walk up to you, R2, they swing, you break their poise and knock them back.  Repeat until dead.

What it also does is have a deceptively shorter reach than it looks like for as big as the sword is and the fact that you move forward on so many attacks. Literally every attack is slow, so you have much tighter attack windows on bosses.  The arc of the R1 misses things low and on the right on the first swing and swings from your shoulder, not the ground, so it hits less on the Right than it looks.  The R2 and sundry move forwards, so they will also miss those things.  That is a big weakness when you are getting swarmed by short enemies (or even tall ones from far enough around).  Especially with the speed issues.  That Poise we just talked about in Zenny Zen's post?  Well yeah that suddenly looks pretty tasty.

I normally pick weapons that swing very differently than that (Club being the obvs example), so when I have to swap to it and have those, I don't have the best time.

So yes I, specifically Me, that is Grefter, loathe the Zweihander.

But it is great at killing those fucking Mosquitos in the swamp, I will give it that.

I block in souls games.  I am carrying around that Stamina Regen trinket for a reason and it blocks more damage than my weapon.  But unlike Cid and Fenrir I am not cool enough to Powerstance Whips/and or be naked all the time.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 23, 2016, 01:58:58 AM »
Not blocking at all in Dark Souls is pretty scary when you first consistently try it, but Indy + bow builds broke me of feeling like shields were genuinely a necessity. They're still squarely more useful there than elsewhere in the series, though (DkS2 is reluctant to offer you the same wide variety of dependable, high-stability shields, and Bloodborne's lone shield is literally a joke weapon. I can't vouch for the DLC shield's worth however). You can dodge literally everything if you know the timing windows, but the game feels more deliberately built around you having a shield at all times than the rest of the series does. And if nothing else, it's a huge comfort having one. This isn't a knock, feeling less helpless is probably an actual survival advantage for casual players ("casual" also not being a knock; it simply encompasses the proportion of players not crazy enough to punish themselves by running ridiculous challenge builds).

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 23, 2016, 02:08:53 AM »
Mastering the zweihander isn't like learning playing the guitar or whatever. It is just run up to things and r1 r1. Forget about z targeting it's better without it. Strategy is you don't give a fuck about aiming or range you just walk up to things , maybe dodge a little, and r1. It's great.
You can do it Gref

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 23, 2016, 03:15:01 AM »
Also Zenny, congrats

Wait you did level up during your run right?

If so do it again at sl1 u casul