Register

Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2016?  (Read 117417 times)

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2016?
« Reply #1525 on: July 01, 2016, 01:45:32 PM »
Russell is a pretty good tank, I think he has Cover?  Can help with some of the harder Collosseum bosses.

Speaking of grinding, spend your extra time in the Chamber of Crystals.  Espers are difficult to level up and that's one of the best bonus events.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: July 01, 2016, 10:37:01 PM »
Fallen London - I became important!  Off raw stats.  Woo.  I bought a Velocipede and now  back like at the start of the game with so many choices I don't know where to start.  I need to get a boat, join a club, get an ally.  So many choices.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: July 01, 2016, 11:38:01 PM »
So you just need 2 stats at 100?  I'm getting there, have like 80 persuasive now.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: July 02, 2016, 01:25:31 AM »
Oh nah, my persuasive is 140 because I focused it so much early and Watchful is low 100s because I did that next.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: July 02, 2016, 02:35:29 AM »
Grabbed Brave Exvius, fun little game so far. Dunno if I'm going to stick with it, but we'll see how long it holds my interest.

Freind code is: 190,883,015

I currently have a Galuf leading my team as UOM power is great.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: July 02, 2016, 03:55:37 AM »
Apparently I have been wasting my time in Fallen London because you are extremely far ahead of me on stats.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: July 02, 2016, 04:28:54 AM »
Fiore's character design means I'll never play Star Ocean 5 but I'm still curious about how good the integrity and faithlessness are out of 10

Haven't played FL in a while because I've lended my laptop and the phone touchscreen burns my fingers a little. Said fingers do feel pretty bad right now as I keep adding words to this message oh god I need to stop
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 04:31:31 AM by Fenrir »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: July 02, 2016, 09:18:41 AM »
Apparently I have been wasting my time in Fallen London because you are extremely far ahead of me on stats.

I subscribed to their thing because I am enjoying the game waaaay more than everyone else that picked it up I think, so I have like twice as many actions.  I also have a commute I can easily play it on.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: July 02, 2016, 12:46:41 PM »
Danganronpa 2: last chapter was such bullshit it took me a few days to finish it. This definitely made the game overall worse than 1. Also, there was about 50% more pervy shit going on.

Gundham and Nagito were great, but I'm already starting the other characters.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: July 02, 2016, 12:56:39 PM »
I intend to get SO5 eventually, but I will probably stick it on the Amazon wishlist so in August no one has to ask me what the hell they are supposed to

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1535 on: July 03, 2016, 02:35:44 AM »
Zelda: Link Between Worlds
Finally getting to this on my backlog because ALttP is a perfect game and its direct sequel deserves my time and love. It is pretty fucking amazing. It's pretty obvious it started as a remake, but the decision to make it a new story is probably one of my favorite things ever. And it's pretty solid as far as Zelda stories go. The dialogue is funny at least!

FF: Brave Exvius
Speaking of funny dialogue! The localization team continues to amaze. Currently running the side mission to get Ifrit WAAAAY earlier than I probably should be considering my levels/equipment but fuck it that's what friends are for.

Friend code: 632,354,039

Hey DLers, I need more friends, get on it~

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: July 03, 2016, 05:18:37 AM »
ALBW is pretty fantastic all around.  Even though it's very clearly spawned from an ALttP remake, it ends up being probably the most original Zelda game in years.  The fact that it's unique and original despite how Hyrule is mostly the same from ALttP and Lorule is about 50% the same as the Dark World begs the question as to how all those 3D Zeldas with new worlds, enemies, etc. can't be bothered to break away from the Ocarina of Time format.

It also manages to pull off a legitimate Sympathetic Antagonist, and not in a cheap "no, see, they're sad! It totally justifies their EVIL VILLAIN WAYS OF KILLING EVERYONE!" but rather, puts the character in a believable position to act the way they do and you can't help but feel sorry for them (even though what they're doing is clearly wrong.)  It's not like, say, Wind Waker Ganondorf where it's all "MY LIFE WAS HORRIBLE! I DIDN'T HAVE WIND IN THE DESERT! KING HYRULE WAS A DICK! SO I BECAME SUPER SATAN!"  No guys, WW Ganondorf is just evil, no amount of sob story is going to fix that.

And to top all that off regarding the plot?  It does it with minimal dialog and cutscenes.  I mean that in a good way; it doesn't have any more cut-scenes than is necessary.  It has a small cast of characters, establishes them, gives us all the necessary info, and has only as many cut-scenes as it needs.  It doesn't waste your time with needless filler (outside of early game, but that's kind of a necessary evil for world building), or anything.  It's not the most amazing thing ever, but by the standards of the franchise, it stands above the others...and again, it begs the question what the hell all those 3D Zelda that were OoT clones were doing...

...and note that I am exempting Majora's Mask from all of the above, since it's the one game that DID manage to break away from the OoT mold...despite being made heavily off reused assets from OoT.  It's kind of funny when you think about it; the two most original (mainline) Zelda games in the past 20 years are the reused asset sequel and the Remake Turned Into a Sequel.

Xenoblade Chronicles X: Doing side missions because this game wants me to dick around!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 05:56:27 AM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: July 03, 2016, 06:19:37 AM »
A word of advise on FFBE.

Keep on resetting unless you get one of the following in the starter gahca:

Lightning
Gilgemesh
Lunneth
Orlandu
Queen
Demon Feena

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1538 on: July 03, 2016, 06:28:17 AM »
I don't think any of those are released in the English version yet...

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: July 03, 2016, 07:02:04 AM »
Zero Time Dilemna is Dutch Angle: The Game

Doesn't the structure of the game make deaths have less impact? Oh well

Why do all these games all have one character with ridiculously revealing clothes? I mean, I know why sure, but it looks like a staple of the genre just like chocobos in final fantasy.
 Anyway I followed her advice and won the game 5 minutes in. #MLG

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: July 03, 2016, 10:33:08 AM »
FFBE:

I'm playing this now, only up to Port Lodan because I've been grinding the Esper Crystals special event.  Spent $6 on this game...  Because it seems fun.

855,919,287 is mine.

Would've added Djinn, but apparently he's at his limit for friends...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 10:34:54 AM by Magic Fanatic »

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: July 03, 2016, 02:45:57 PM »
Don't worry about Gacha in FFBE, it's a really easy game overall.  My starter gacha was Bedile, considered to be one of the worst.  And still had no problem clearing stuff.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: July 03, 2016, 11:04:06 PM »
Surprisingly, I'm not that worried about the Gatcha.  I'm just happy that I have another game that's fun off the bat, unlike a few others I've tried to play...  Like Spellstone.

Man Spellstone is...  Well, let me put it this way: it was on the cusp of being fun, and I kept playing in the hopes that it would cross that threshhold, but...  Two months in, and I still didn't find it fun, so.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: July 04, 2016, 04:59:56 PM »
Fallen London:  So the game has succeeded at legitimately making me feel bad.

I was investigating the plaster face on the house across from mine.  I hired some rats to help with this.  Got a Working Rat, and a Talkative Rat, along with the Disgraced Rattus Fabber Bandit Chief I had from the beginning of the game.  And we investigated.  For a long time, as is the case with everything in FL.

We discover that there is someone called the Big Rat who is running some kind of operation with forced labor from rats.  So we infiltrate and get into the operation.  The Disgraced Rattus Fabber Bandit Chief even sacrifices his life for the operation.  His name was Stabby.

We end up setting up a hunt in The Flit for the Big Rat.  I assemble a team of hunters using my society connections.  And we catch the Big Rat.  Who is a Snuffler wearing rat's faces as a mask.  Then the game offers me three choices on what to do with him:

1) Kill him, so that rats everywhere will be safe from his machinations.
2) Release him to the constables.
3) Let him go.

Well fuck all if I was doing number 2, but I couldn't decide between the other two choices.  The Big Rat is pleading with me, telling me he will share his knowledge of the Elder Continent.  I know he's playing me, but still... I stared at the choices on my computer screen for a good ten minutes.

I let him go.

"You have lost a quality: Sympathetic to Ratly Concerns."  FUCK.

So now me and the Big Rat are best buds.  We drink wine and he gives me things from the Elder Continent.  He even gave me some fresh cherries.  How the hell do you get fresh fruit down here?

But the rats... they won't look me in the eye anymore.  They know I sold them out.

And I will forevermore be damned.

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: July 04, 2016, 09:22:04 PM »
I'm still playing FF13. I'm going to give myself 20 more hours in the game of grinding before I toss my hands in the air and convince myself that farming for final weapons just isn't worth it.

Discovered a new spot on the map! I'm finally in the 30s level missions, which I'm sure I missed because I just went with the flow of most of the game. So, no challenge here. Think I'll start using a FAQ so I can just be done with it.

I think I just may write an op-ed on FF13 and third-wave feminism. Sure it's been done, but certainly not the way I'd do it! *fistpump*

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: July 04, 2016, 10:05:59 PM »
I need to post here more often so I don't make super ultra mega posts.

Speaking of...

PXZ2 - Finished, ages ago.
The final battle gives a pretty good reason for why the penultimate battle was so large.  Still kinda annoying, but the last stage is almost reasonably sized, considering.  It also sets things up so that once you unlock the ability to fight the big bad, you can just do so.  As for the big bad, for the standards of this game, ultra durable.  By the standard of Bamco bosses, and PXZ1 bosses, he's pretty ok.  By the standard of Bamco final bosses?  Wet Tissue Paper level durability.

General thoughts, it is in pretty much every way PXZ1 ++.  The only place where that arguably isn't true is in the cast, and even then there's a lot of emphasis on the arguably.  A lot of the Solos are really forgettable, though 4 of them really stood out to me.  Phoenix and Maya because you get them early and they make enemy shields a joke.  They can spend 30 SP to give any pair block busting, and their own attack starts with Psychlocks breaking enemy defenses.  Granted, I never used them against any of the ultra blocky enemies, but they can at least do 5 bars which is generally where things top out (they can, for example, trivialise Mettaurs).  For damage, Alisa from God Eater does a good job.  Just a lot of hits, damage is usually enough to get through defense, and has a strong crit bonus.  As for skills, you have Aty who for a long time is your only notable heal all option as you get her early and she has a cheap heal all: 30% skill in Summon: Holy Prahna.  Estelle also comes back as notably good as she can heal everyone for 80% now, and has Variable Hex for 15% Def boost for everyone.

As for pair units, I found the Fire Emblem pairing to be strangely underwhelming.  Same with the Maverick Hunters, neither of which were as good at getting kills as I felt they should be.  Chrom and Lucina are also, sadly, your final team, so you only have them for half the game.  As for good units, only one team really stood out.  The ninjas.  Seriously, the freaking ninjas.  They are a touch squishy, though not overly so compared to everyone else, and they are mobile and have absurd damage.  If you want something dead, figure out how to get them behind that target and watch it bleed.

I suspect at some point I will try this on NG+ for the hard mode and see if additional difficulty changes my opinion of things when I actually have to pay attention to what I'm doing.  But not for a long time.

Fire Emblem - Still slowly plugging away.  Iago was kind enough to give me a useful gift.  I think trying to hold on to it is making me greedy and causing several needless deaths.  Damn.

Pokemon Picross - Still slowly plugging away.  I think I'm getting near the point where I'll need to break down and get the Mega Pencil, but am now in that point where I am stubbornly going "spend real money on this thing?  Fuck that."  Am curious if the Alt-World puzzles give Picrites as 300 is quicker to save for than 500, though let's be honest, at this point, I'm most of the way to getting another picrite/day so I'll just finish that first.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: July 04, 2016, 10:17:59 PM »
I think I just may write an op-ed on FF13 and third-wave feminism. Sure it's been done, but certainly not the way I'd do it! *fistpump*

This is certainly aligned with my interests.

Bravely Second - At the start of chapter 4. Chapter 3 was easier than 2's toughest points but still put up an excellent fight overall. I figured they would have nerfed Dark Knight from BD. No? Okay then. I mean lack of Drain Spellblade nerfs it a bit indirectly, and so far I don't have anything so silly as a dark-nulling shield (let alone multiple), but still. Meanwhile, Swordmaster is probably my pick for most improved job. The counterstances drawing enemy fire makes the job a lot better, and it already wasn't bad or anything! Invaluable as a way to control the offence of fast randoms since many of them beat out even ninja speed.

Magic has gotten less terrible now that I switched away from Black Magic (which just seems shitty) to wizard spells again, and also gotten Exorcist's MP regen. I have Pierce MDef but I haven't been using it much since the cost is quite steep, may switch it in at some point.

Blue Dragon (replay, but first time on hard mode) - Playing all the hard modes of job system games. Skipping the scenes in this one. Is its plot worse than BS's? Seems posisble. That's not a comparison I want to consider. Anyway I am enjoying it of course, just got through the Undersea Cavern. It's pretty obviously not as good as the Bravely games just because the polish is so much worse (which is a shame, because CTB is cooler than DQ-style rounds at base). I love how the game has a scan which doesn't show a single enemy stat or even give good advice, but still takes a full turn of course, thanks game.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: July 04, 2016, 10:23:38 PM »
It is like Scanning your own party members in FF8, there to give you a nice camera angle.

Fallen London - the election has started!  I am a Fixer for Sinning Jenny and picked the Nun companion.  Post mortems on stuff say I managed to pick the worst two things (Fixer takes tons of actions to progress compared to Campaigner and the other choice, the nun is strictly worse than a regularly available Companion).

Oh well!  Still fun.  Sinning Jenny for Pres 1884. 

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: July 04, 2016, 10:41:11 PM »
It is like Scanning your own party members in FF8, there to give you a nice camera angle.

Fallen London - the election has started!  I am a Fixer for Sinning Jenny and picked the Nun companion.  Post mortems on stuff say I managed to pick the worst two things (Fixer takes tons of actions to progress compared to Campaigner and the other choice, the nun is strictly worse than a regularly available Companion).

Oh well!  Still fun.  Sinning Jenny for Pres 1884.

Campaigner instead of Fixer but otherwise the same so far. My connections would've better fit the bishop (Society/Church/Constables--yes I am pretty much RPing as a square and a stooge for The Man) but really you know I couldn't have gone with any other option this time.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: July 04, 2016, 10:49:00 PM »
Zero Time Dilemna: Everybody is a fucking genius in this game or what. How did that girl calculate 2^100 in 1 second. Why are kids talking about metempsychosis and tautologies and shit when their lives are in danger (note: I love it)
I love escape rooms where you do a bunch of convoluted stuff just to get a screwdriver

Danganronpa is still way more anime. In Zero escape games one of the characters is a serial killer and that is definitely not good. In Danganronpa one of the characters is a serial killer and that character becomes your everybody's pal because anime

This is such a low budget game that every time a character does any action other than talking and walking, the camera cuts off to other characters or like, the roof (still with a dutch angle) because they couldn't animate it.

I am at the part where I need to figure out the game's big secrets to continue but I'm completely lost. I did find Phi's big secret on my own (!) but it has no purpose.

I like the game. There is a lot less of that embarassing humour compared to 999 and VLR. Not meant to be played without having already experienced the other two.