Register

Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2016?  (Read 117506 times)

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2016?
« Reply #1575 on: July 11, 2016, 01:43:57 AM »
I don't really like Pokemon Go as a game, but it's been a great social experience. A ton of people I know are actually playing it, and we've been able to swap stories about where we found stuff and join in delight when something comes nearby. Say what we will about the game, the concept itself is pure dynamite.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: July 11, 2016, 01:45:17 AM »
I don't really like Pokemon Go as a game, but it's been a great social experience. A ton of people I know are actually playing it, and we've been able to swap stories about where we found stuff and join in delight when something comes nearby. Say what we will about the game, the concept itself is pure dynamite.

truf

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: July 11, 2016, 02:40:38 AM »
Because it still doesn't work that way? You still have to win each fight to lower the Gym rep. So even 5 people working together won't convert a gym if none of you can win

No, I mean they attack simultaneously, as in multiple pokemon are ganging up on the one defender.  This is a pretty big difference, and will cause defenders to fall.  The problem is finding enough people of the same team, and it's going to be a problem outside of high population areas (malls, college campuses).  Reinforcing gyms is too easy right now.  One of the two gyms in my area is up to level 5 from level 3 (and that's after me taking a chunk out of it yesterday).  The other is level 3 with three 600 CP pokes guarding it.  It had one earlier in the day.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: July 11, 2016, 03:39:31 AM »
Didn't realize that. The two-three gyms I can see in distance from my house change daily (sometimes multiple times), and while I've gone over to them have never run into someone else. I suppose that's what the lightning around the gym is, when someone is battling there? I've even tried looking to see and in the articles I've seen, they don't talk about multiple people engaging the defender in the same battle.

Gyms can revert back too though. Yesterday a gym near me was at Level 5 with an 800 CP as the gym leader, this morning it had fallen to another team- back to Level 2. It was retaken by mid-day. Constant churn.

The geek bar I go to ended up being a gym. The owners are on the same team as me, so I'm interested to see how it goes next time I go. I wasn't Level 5 yet last time I went for weekly trivia.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: July 11, 2016, 06:17:40 AM »
Battles though are supposed to be what you work for, and if they're shit, what's the point?

I thought most people just wanted to collect Pokemon for the sake of collecting Pokemon.  (The casuals who'll leave the game in a month, at least.)

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1580 on: July 11, 2016, 08:18:35 PM »
The Witcher 3- I just ran into a wizard who got locked in a tiny room because of problems with the Defensive Regulatory Magicon, so I'm off to find Gottfried's Omni-opening Grimoire.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: July 11, 2016, 09:59:39 PM »
That sure does not sound like a veiled reference to anything.  No way.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: July 11, 2016, 10:59:06 PM »
It is finally done. Incidentally, also the new WR as of today!
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: July 11, 2016, 11:37:58 PM »
Was there new tech to scrape off that 9mins or was it just execution?  Given a chunk of it is 20-30 second jumps split up over the game I can't tell (could be a consistent bit of technique or just execution throughout).

I assume the 5 mins over the last two splits is either the stars aligning or something new.

Servers down all the time - at least I get to listen to the Suikoden 2 menu music each to I go to log in to Servers Are Experiencing Technical Issues Go.

Fallen London - I am spread out too thin.  I either never got or lost my point of Notability.  Can't work out how to get it.  Want to join God's Editors.  Need Connected Church.  Also want to be stealing Ancient Mysteries so I can buy a better house.  Also waiting on the Election career advancement card to show up forever.

Slow progress on every front.  I also want to open a newspaper.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: July 12, 2016, 02:35:02 AM »
Was there new tech to scrape off that 9mins or was it just execution?  Given a chunk of it is 20-30 second jumps split up over the game I can't tell (could be a consistent bit of technique or just execution throughout).

I assume the 5 mins over the last two splits is either the stars aligning or something new.

Grefter - some more detail about each of the splits

New York - Erick Theatre - This was the best time I've ever gotten on this split. Typically, this is like 7:40 on a good day and about 8:00 on average. I saved a bunch of time here due to really great formations and a new trick. Namely, in some cases where the formation is split up into 2-1 packs, you can use a Double with Johnny to save a Ring Input and watching 1 of the enemies act. The downside is that if your physical gets evaded, the enemy will take 2 turns. Still its early in the run, so worth taking that risk.

Arkham - Underground Path - My old split here was actually really good. Like 1 encounter and then an excellent boss fight. I saved like 2 seconds or something, mainly due to faster menus.

Grand Canyon - Tatanaka - There's a full minute to save here; I only manage to take about 30 seconds off it. The main problem was I was being too safe cause I was afraid of missing the rings. So Shania didn't do enough damage and my stock gauge was out of alignment. Shania actually ended up going berserk, but thankfully, was still able to finish the fight without any major consequences going forward. Some immediate impact though in the next couple of fights and losing a Studded Belt.

Chicago - Capone's Elite - I lose about 20 seconds here. This mainly occurred due to bad formations, but also Shania going insane in the last fight meant she had zero stock for this one. This actually really sucks because she'll typically have one bar, and you can have her combo back to Frank who can take out another gangster on his own. I do some bullshit improv and hitting tight rings here to manage, but this shouldn't have been a loss.

Alcatraz - Ronwei - New strat here which I was not good at in my old PB. There's about 2:30 to save and I got 2 minutes in this run. The major time save is all from Ronwei, who we now just do a full blitz down. By having everyone have stock, you can rapid combo to Frank and finish the boss before he gets his second turn ideally. Keep Shania as an anchor and have her combo when the fight is closing to win. You also avoid Seal this way. This is also a rare occasion where I  ended up using Endure, which is normally never used otherwise IIRC.

Roswell - Procyon - New strat here as well. We power up Tatanaka so she gets access to Arc Surge. It didn't matter this run cause the turn order didn't really align itself, but it gives you the ability to power up everyone's magic, at which point you can pretty much wreck him. The big thing was just being better at estimating the damage required and killing him before he got too obnoxious. I saved about 20 seconds off the boss fight just due to a better fight in general.

Carribean - La Sirene - There's about 1:30 to save and I basically take all of it this run. There is one forced encounter here, and in my PB, this went absolutely horribly. The big issue is that the enemies may spawn close together and of course, opening turn order is random. If they are all together and Hilda goes first, you can pretty much wreck them before they move and basically save oodles of time. That's pretty much what happened here. La Sirene, we now use Arc Rage. So just mainly that + 3 Shania physicals.

Vegas - Malice Edna - This is one of the few splits where there is ample amount of time to gain/loss. Compared to my PB, there is about 3 minutes to save and I take 2:45 in this run, which is massive. Boss fight was average, but the gangster fights were all pretty good in general. Revised strats means that its a lot more possible to save enough cash to get a Light node Effectiveness upgrade to 20%, allowing Johnny to one shot with Bright Rage on a strike. This saves quite a bit of time as long as you are precise. I had to do some odd comboing here and there though since I did miss some rings when I shouldn't have, so you could save more time here.

Chichen Itza - Jeb Nigas - Bad split. 3 minutes to gain, I only saved about 30 seconds. All of it comes down to the boss and I blew it pretty hard. The tough part is how much stock you have always fluctuates and unlike Edna, he will go after your stock bar, so its not guaranteed you can do a big combo to win. Though the bigger problem, is that I kept missing the strike on Evil Shade. This is pretty much what killed me time wise.

Kerufe - I lose about 1:30 because Hilda got paralyzed in the second forced encounter, forcing me to try and salvage the situation with just Ricardo and Johnny. Terrible. Boss fight, my execution was sloppy, but I had a good turn order and lots of stock, so I managed to salvage it and still save some stock in the end. Optimally, you OHKO him to win, but I missed the strike so I just 2HKO'd him.

Killer 1/Daoros - One of the big discoveries is that you can stop Daoros from countering if you hit him first. By conserving stock for Kerufe, it puts you in a better position in this fight. It is actually possible to 0 turn victory this fight and I actually had the right turn order for it, but Hilda didn't have stock. I saved about 1:49 of the 2:49 available from the Killer 0 turn.  Still pretty good overall.

Delget - Not much to say here. It can be faster if you get a good turn order with the right amount of stock for Hilda to 2HKO. But this wasn't bad. I saved like 2 seconds, so break even more or less, but there's about 30 seconds to save if all goes well.

Killer 2 - In my PB, I made a really stupid mistake where Hilda didn't equip the Trust Heart. This resulted in the Entranced Surged Hail Dust doing only 3300 damage instead of 3600. So he cast Gale and I had to semi-bunker myself until I could win, losing about 90 seconds in the process. Not mistake this time, although Ricardo died. I OHKO him and gain the 90 seconds.

BabyRage - I get a bad opening turn order on Fish. This cost a lot of time, but the boss fight was also not great. Optimally, one of your guys gets a turn, which then screws up his opening turn when you buff. He got a turn first so I couldn't rely on that and I had to buff around his counters to win. I lose about 2 minutes and 40 seconds to this split, the worst overall loss in the run.

Malice Killer - I save about 30 seconds here due to a cleaner fight and better menus. We skip the Magic Key now completely, so this is pretty much just doing the menu faster and then not getting stuck in an infinite loop against him in battle. Quite dangerous, but I had stock, so even though Hilda didn't kill, Entranced Awaker guaranteed my victory.

Gate - Gilbert - God tier luck for this split (it's blank cause I skipped it, but finish time is 3:39:59). About 20 seconds gained due to the tree being merciful so I got it out of the way pretty quick. Then I ran into 2 pre-emptives along the way, allowing me to max charge everyone's stock. This in turn meant...

Gate - Lady - All the trees after Gilbert, I had full stock ready, which meant that I could do Doubles with Hilda to one shot, combo to Johnny in case of needing an opening Barrier quick and just have more flexibility in general. I also got into very few encounters and the ones I did get into, I was able to escape either 1st or 2nd turn. By the time I was ready to fight Lady, my stock gauges were at very good positions (2 for Johnny and Natan, 1.75 for Ricardo and 1 for Hilda) so I didn't need to grind to build those up. On Lady, I got the perfect turn order opening and executed perfectly, which means Lady dies in 90 seconds. Overall, this saved 5 minutes across the entire trip, due to the trees not being able to do much to screw me over and then Lady dying before she could do anything. It is hilariously, *not* a gold split, meaning that one of my earlier runs had an even better Gate, but this was still god tier luck.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: July 12, 2016, 10:30:42 AM »
gotta go fast

there a vod to watch of this? I'd like to watch it while reading your notes if possible.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: July 12, 2016, 11:33:26 AM »
I was meaning to poke and prod at this while doing some extra work tonight.  Only got half then smashed through it while waiting for a tram.

Cool Tide.  I uh would kinda skip that second last split too with how hype you must have been.  Massive grats deserved for sub 4 hours.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: July 12, 2016, 11:09:49 PM »
Zenny:
https://www.twitch.tv/tideruglia/v/77415703 <-- this is the twitch recording. Its a little choppy because OBS bugged out recently for me for some reason. I do have an Amarec recording which I want to see if I can submit to SDA.
<@Claude> yahtzee

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: July 14, 2016, 11:16:44 AM »
Oreshika Tainted Bloodlines: This is great! I've played for about five hours and still don't understand half of the rules.

I am managing a cursed japanese clan that needs to get back 5 instruments from onis. There are 8 classes, I have picked martial artist/dancer/naginata user.
The curse placed upon the clan means everybody has super growth, becomes an adult in 3 months and dies in 24. (roughly) They also can't have childrens with other humans and need to reproduce by sleeping with gods. There are so many gods and if you have children with one of them I think they level up in their own way? But god-incest is a thing so you need to vary your genepool a little or your children will be fucked up. You can spend a lot of time planning everything, turning the game into Eugenism: The RPG

You're obviously running on a timer. Sex with god takes one month, dungeon visit also takes one month. Exploration during dungeons is also timed and you need to hurry the fuck up. You can stay in a dungeon for more than one month at a time but you'll gradually lose stats. But you can leave dungeons whenever you want which is pretty cool

In battle:
1) you auto win when the enemy leader dies
2) you already know at the beginning of the battle which spoils you're going to get. You get three per battle and the new ones are in orange and you want them
3) if the leader is left alone/at low hps he'll flee with all the spoils

There are also rows, and magic. Two or more characters can cast the same spell for huge combos.

HP needs to stay at more than 70% or your character or you'll start taking hits to your stamina. This means lower stats, and the possibility of permadeath.

How to learn magic: Find a magic scroll during battle and the spell will be auto added to your fancy clan library. Then any character will auto learn the spell if they meet the stat requirement.

You have a mini town at your disposal and invest in making the red light district fancier and shit.

The four elements seem to be a big thing but I don't know how yet. Like why does HP have four stats, one for each element?

Loyalty is a thing. If you completely ignore a character or don't listen to their battle advice, they'll take some money, their items, and get the fuck out of your clan. Piss them off enough and they'll come back to get revenge apparently. Jesus

I have a boat and can leave to other cities where I can adopt, bethroth or hire people and stuff.

I have chosen the highest difficulty level and my children are idiots. Geez. Why don't they spend more time training instead of goofing off. Kids these days.

There's so much shit guys

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: July 14, 2016, 11:30:19 AM »
Special craftmen will sometimes come to visit your city and you can order from them a super expensive custom weapon only one character + their children can equip

You can buy tinctures and worship gods?

There is online multiplayer somehow too? The fuck?

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1590 on: July 14, 2016, 11:42:51 AM »
Ninjas Sexing Gods: The RPG
What the crap is going on this game is weird.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: July 14, 2016, 12:35:15 PM »
Guys its okay you can just say you are playing Darkest Dungeon, most of us stopped playing JRPGs as much years ago, we will still think you are cool if you play a western roguelike.

MGS5 - This game keeps being perplexing, good when it is good and then amazingly terrible when it is terrible.

On one hand it is cool that Quiet lies down on her bed, undoes her top and just chills to She Blinded Me With Science.

On the other hand she does it in a prison cell in the middle of an otherwise empty room on an oil tanker in the middle of nowhere so the player can just sit there and watch her.

Edit - But as a plus I unlocked a different look for my dog so it doesn't have an eye patch just like Snake.  The spoilers at the end of the game make so much of this stuff super eye rolly.  Like I think if I didn't know it then it would still be eye rolly because of how thick they lay it on, but holy shit is it fucking ridiculous.  Kojima isn't an artful storyteller.  He just drives dump truck and empties load after load of ITS THE THEME in your front yard.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 12:37:18 PM by Grefter »

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: July 14, 2016, 08:01:26 PM »
Oreshika in English!?
Serious?
First game or the second game?
If it is the second, turn it off and throw it into a bin.
It does not worth your time.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: July 14, 2016, 08:03:54 PM »
Second!

Why is it bad. So far I like it. Balance seemd fucked but the rest is fine

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: July 14, 2016, 08:21:39 PM »
Haha, I actually picked up Oreshika like last year and it was so wonky I had no idea how to talk about it. Went Dancer/MA/Naginata as well, good combo. Trying to get specific skill scrolls to drop is hellish, though.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: July 14, 2016, 08:49:26 PM »
Melty Blood: Actress Again: Right, been playing a bunch of this with Alex. been pretty much exclusively sticking to F-Riesbyfe. Pile bunkers for days. Fuck Nrvnqsr.

UNDER NIGHT IN-BIRTH Exe:Late: Also picked this up on Steam. It is basically Melty 2.0. Not sure who I'm gonna try to main.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: July 14, 2016, 09:38:07 PM »
Danganronpa: Well that was fun.  Excellent game with a great cast of characters, and a tightly constructed - if largely nonsensical - plot.  One thing that kinda bugs me about PW games is that the logic of the trials is fine as it unfolds, but if you look back at the end of a trial at whether all the intermediate steps were correct, there are serious gaps at times (The final trial of PW3, the conclusion severely undermines a lot of the factual buildup, for example).  Danganronpa does not have that problem i look at a case backwards or forwards and it still holds up.  Another pleasure was the investigation - in most cases I went into the trial with a solid outline of what happened - but not knowing who the killer was.  Really nice balance.

The trials themselves were...ok.  Lacked the drama and quotability of PW, but got the job done.  Did not like the sections where you are called on to select a fact and use it to contradict another fact - great design in theory, too fiddly in practice.  I blame the English language.

English voice acting was superb.  Hiro exclaiming WHAAAAAAAAAAT? will never get old, no matter how many times I hear it.  I should make it a ringtone or something.

Sakura best girl.  Obviously.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: July 15, 2016, 01:26:13 AM »
Hiro and Sakura <3

Furi: I finished this in a 4 hours session. It is my favourite Platinum game and it's not made by Platinum. It is intense.
It is very simple, it's (mostly) overhead and you can stab, shoot, parry, dodge, plus charge stab/shoot/dodge.
A successful parry heals, a mega successful parry also stuns.

The entire game is 9 boss battles.
Both you and the boss have Regular HP and Big HP.
- if you lose all your regular HP, you lose one big HP and both you and the boss fully heal all regular HP
- if the boss loses all regular HP, it loses one big HP, you win one big HP, the boss changes its pattern, both you and the boss fully heal all regular HPs.
In short bosses are divided into phases and beating each phase grants a mini checkpoint. If you lose all big HP you have to start the boss from the beginning though. This is all really intelligent and exciting design.

Graphics and music are cool, plot and dialogue are What Is This Donny Darko Emo Bullshit. But it isn't much of a problem.

Obviously each boss is unique and varied and you get everything from 1v1 sword fight no items final destination, to bullet hell madness, to find the sniper in a huge area.
 Here is Boss 1 on hard mode.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-ODUYYWkSeY

This game is so intense I was standing up for the entire time right next to the TV
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 01:28:19 AM by Fenrir »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: July 15, 2016, 02:28:13 AM »
I'm glad to hear it's good.  It LOOKS good, but I saw a couple in-game messages about how it's sooooooo~ hard and how you need to git gud and if you don't, REALLY why are u even playing, and that was, y'know. A turn-off.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: July 15, 2016, 03:17:06 AM »
Like every student at the school is playing Pokemon Go.  And I'm not. 

I feel old.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory