Register

Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2016?  (Read 117872 times)

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2016?
« Reply #1625 on: July 19, 2016, 09:34:46 AM »
S-3 and S-5 boss are very difficult also, especially S-5.

Fallen London:  Well yay my candidate won.  I didn't get much of note other than a Favour in High Places.  Think I ended up with level 19 Fixer at the end.  At least I got a lot of Watchful training out of it.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: July 19, 2016, 09:44:31 AM »
Those Case Notes are also pretty rare.  Normally only came from non-repeatable storylets.  I hope that is a sign that they are willing to implement a repeatable detective storylet sometime.  I like them and those Case Notes really help with novel writing.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: July 19, 2016, 11:44:29 PM »
Surprised the Jovial Contrarian lost, he seemed the obvious Internet favorite for fake-politics.

I'm not reading your list Fenrir but I saw the first part.  Poor Junpei!  Why is he stuck in this again?  Probably because he's Zero.  That's my guess without having seen the rest of the list.

Does anyone know if there's a difference between the PS4 version & Steam version of I Am Setsuna?  Not sure which one to get.

Also, is it just me, or does 7th Dragon 3: Code Long Subtitle seem like an Etrian Odyssey clone?  Customizable party, emphasis on dungeon crawling...  not sure if that seems worth picking up when I haven't finished EO4.

Fire Emblem Fates: Finally beat Ophelia's Paralogue.  Holy crap that was tough, hardest mission so far?  Especially so if I hadn't done some grinding earlier.  Required all of Ryoma abuse, Xander abuse, Corrin + Benny abuse, and some luck on the side.  Imagine if you are swarmed from 3 directions by Berserkers, Wyvern Knights, Onmyojis, and Heroes.  Oh and 29 speed Master Ninjas if you have anyone frail or slow around.  And have a time limit if you want all the TREASURE(!!!).  Too bad Missletain seems like it kinda sucks.

Ophelia seems like Orochi++, faster (but still slow), but tons of Magic and good otherwise stats.  She had Orochi as mom, too, so she can pick up Tomefaire late.  I've failed to breed any boyfriends for her yet, though, and she doesn't want to chill with Caeldori nor Sophie...

Fire Emblem: Fin Lyn mode.  After checking online, I knew to not use the Knight Seal nor Energy Ring, so I 5-star'd Funds, but...  only 4 star'd Tactics?!  Dang.  Everything else was 5 stars.  I thought I moved pretty quickly, too!  I guess I could have gone a little faster on the fog map, but sheesh, the turn limit is not joking around in FE7.

Also, HHM is locked behind Normal Hector first?  Boo hiss.  Was gonna do Eliwood Hard first anyway, but kinda annoying that HHM is hard to get to.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: July 20, 2016, 01:14:22 AM »
All I could find was that the PC version is $20 cheaper.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: July 20, 2016, 02:42:44 AM »
Also, is it just me, or does 7th Dragon 3: Code Long Subtitle seem like an Etrian Odyssey clone?  Customizable party, emphasis on dungeon crawling...  not sure if that seems worth picking up when I haven't finished EO4.

It should, it's by the same guys as Etrian Odyssey.  From playing a bit of the first one, it's supposed to be more of a traditional RPG style of series than the EO games, but it's really just navigable towns and overworld maps that get added on.

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: July 21, 2016, 11:33:52 AM »
I picked up The Last Remnant again. You know, I seriously like this game but I cannot stand the lag. I haven't experienced lag visually in quite a while, it was such a surreal experience. I'm going to try to install it on the hard drive because that may fix the issue. I currently have two magician troops of varying numbers (4 & 2). Then I have three attack troops, but only one is long distance. I'm thinking of switching that up, actually. I may go for two long distance groups, one close for close encounters, and then beef up one of my magician troops' defense to be their sidekick. I was pwnd by some big blobby thing that pretty much shits a range on the field, and that shit nearly KO's everyone.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: July 21, 2016, 10:35:41 PM »
Yeah you have to install Last Remnant to hard drive or it runs like shit.

I GOT STAR OCEAN 5.  I haven't started playing yet, I'm just holding the game case to my chest and giggling.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1632 on: July 21, 2016, 11:23:31 PM »
Well it can't be as bad as Star Ocean 4.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: July 22, 2016, 12:37:23 AM »
I am Setsuna - This is a jrpg. I wish I had more to say about it so far...

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1635 on: July 22, 2016, 12:43:46 AM »
I have 305 Magikarp candies. Gyarados is in sight.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: July 22, 2016, 12:58:53 AM »
I have 305 Magikarp candies. Gyarados is in sight.

Only at 100 ;-;

I did however just hatch a Chansey from my second 10k egg.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: July 22, 2016, 01:00:03 AM »
Man, I still haven't found a Magikarp. Tons of Paras, though.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: July 22, 2016, 04:37:15 AM »
The game just started and I already got to carry an unconscious pre-teen girl back to my bed.  This game is Star Ocean/10.

Also, I can make the battle background music into Valkyrie Profile BGM, so it is also Valkyrie Profile/10.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: July 22, 2016, 11:10:37 AM »
FF14 - Still just screwing around, mainly because I don't have any good goals.

FFBE - ...Well, BGN Arena S-3 wasn't so bad for me.  I just had to do it six times because the game crashed 4 times on me when I got it down to 10% health.  Ran Vaan 4*/Rydia 4*/Fina 4*/Maria 4*/Kuja 5*.  Couldn't use my typical status tricks, but as long as it didn't focus one person with all three of its triple-act, then no one would die.  Of course with my winning run, he did that to Maria close to death so I had to rely on Fina to keep me up, then he did that to Fina, and after that I was able to finish him off with Vaan physical + 2x Stone.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: July 22, 2016, 03:13:40 PM »

games are not for fun
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: July 22, 2016, 06:01:04 PM »
I am Setsuna - This is an homage to old Squaresoft 16 bit RPGs but not in a good way.  It does follow the basic Chrono Trigger battle system but the outdated visuals don't quite measure up to the old sprite animiations of the past.  The first 4 party members might as well be original character do not steal that if it wasn't published by Square it would be plagiarism.

A masked warrior begins questioning the immoral decisions in his life (Dark Knight Cecil) as he instead allies with a woman on a quest of self sacrifice (Yuna) and her body guard who wears a froggie hat and has ability called X-strike (Frog).  Later you mean a old man who beats himself over failing the last maiden pilgrimage who wields an oversized katana and wears a trenchcoat (Auron).  The first major boss is some emo guy that wields a scythe (Magus).

Waiting for Not-Cait Sith or Not-Eiko to be the useless joke character.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1642 on: July 23, 2016, 03:39:54 AM »
Sounds like a glowing recommendation?

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: July 23, 2016, 05:21:29 AM »
I am finding it alright, didn't have tons to say.  It isn't Chrono Trigger good, but it does enough to the battle formula to make it a bit interesting.

I agree that I don't think the aesthetics are up to par. 

It feels like a game that I would be heaping praise on for about $20 less.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: July 24, 2016, 01:17:36 PM »
Star Ocean 5:  So the most impressive thing about this game is how seamless transitions are.  "Cutscenes" happen automatically as you walk from place to place.  Characters will talk as you're moving, and other characters will look at the person talking, regardless of where you are in relation to them.  Battles happen instantly with no load times, you just move up to an enemy and a few UI elements will pop up on screen but you're still moving the same way you were before.  It feels very real world.  None of these are elements that haven't appeared before in games (walking around in cutscenes was way back in FF7), but it's done here in such a polished way that it comes off very well.

Not crazy about the art style but it's adequate.  Voice acting is good for PCs and bad for NPCs.  Fidel is a competent main so far.

RELIA HAS PAC-MAN GHOSTS ON HER BACKPACK.  IT'S ADORBS.

-------------------------------

Pokémon Go:  Popped a Lucky Egg, Lure Module, and Incense last night, which got me up to level 10 and some change.  At level 9 Pokémon started being stupidly hard to catch, and they started running away at 10.  Gonna go through pokeballs quickly now.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1645 on: July 24, 2016, 04:11:24 PM »
After Lord Ephraim's review, I decided to drop $40 on I Am Setsuna.

As of the prologue, I totally get what he's saying and he's completely right. But all of the things he seems to hate about it, I kind of love? Like, it evokes 90s Square JRPGs and Chrono Trigger specifically. I guess that's a bad thing to some, and maybe that's too derivative for $40 in this modern age, but honestly I'm happy people are still making games like this.

It feels like a lot of love went into the game, and even though there's nothing ground-breaking here, I don't see anything wrong with it. I guess he's right that the graphics are just 'meh'? It would bother me more if the character designs weren't drawn by one of my favorite artists. I suppose I'd prefer sprites to the low-res DS polygon style we got instead, but all the issues I see with the game are just kinda minor stuff?

The battle system and world are pretty well put-together. Even the stoic main is pretty well-done and has lots of dialogue options (at least thus far). It seems like it's going to be a short game for an RPG,  but I honestly think of that as a plus. The whole experience thus far calls to mind a mix of Chrono Trigger, Radiant Historia, Child of Light, and general 90s Square JRPG tropes.

I know that's not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm totally down to drink this kool-aid.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: July 24, 2016, 05:06:00 PM »
Really my problem with Setsuna is I feel like I've played it a heap of times already. (I am several hours in) it actually doesn't evoke a ct feeling at all to me other than random references and the combat. It feels more like an rpg maker game that wished it came out ten years ago. It's blandly appealing, but isn't moving me.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 09:01:04 PM by jsh357 »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: July 24, 2016, 08:51:53 PM »
XBCX: Just finished chapter 6.  One thing that does annoy me about this game is anytime it says "gather these items" because it only tells you what area it is in.  By area, I mean one of the core 5...so you have to basically run around 1/5th of the game's HUGE OVERWORLD until you find random generated item, with no hint as to their location.  The could have at last isolated to say it's near certain landmarks or like "in the south east of Noctillum" or some such.

Other than that, I am a bit surprised that characters like Lao are getting more screen-time than expected.  I was seriously expecting them to just be introduced for "hey, you can use them in combat now" but nope, they're actually getting plot screen-time outside of their own personal character quests, which is nice because while there's nothing wrong Elma/Lin/Tatsu, a bit of variety doesn't hurt, and it does make BLADE seem more competent outside of Team Elma when there are others assisting you.

Speaking of which, Elma is still best female protagonist in the Xeno games.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 08:53:52 PM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: July 24, 2016, 11:01:10 PM »

games are not for fun

Beep boop what is fun.  Baby don't hurt me.

FFBE - Up to BGN Arena S-5.

I have no idea how to beat this boss, and I spent a bunch of Metal Gigantuars to get Vaan to 5*L42.  Barthundara helps, but it doesn't help enough.  Blind and Sleep don't last enough, my paralysis is stuck on a trash unit, and it's immune to poison.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: July 24, 2016, 11:27:15 PM »
Yeah Europa is terrible.  Do you have Full Break on Vaan yet?  That and Barthundara should make his damage manageable.  You basically need reliable healing and deep MP reserves.  He can be silenced, but then he uses nothing but his physical attack and that's worse than Barthundara-mitigated lightning damage.

Do you have the katana from beating the White Dragon yet?  That on Lasswell+Tranquility is good damage.

I myself have not really been playing FFBE at all.  Just logging in and collecting friend points.  Waiting for an FF5 drop rate increase to spend my tickets and lapis.  I'm stuck on D-5 in the intermediate collosseum.  This boss is just rng fest.  It can be paralyzed+poiznd, but getting those to land is a crapshoot and it has ridiculous damage and spams a move that petrifies party members.