Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2016?  (Read 122076 times)

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2016?
« Reply #1950 on: October 08, 2016, 11:43:47 PM »
Darkest dungeon: My leper, plague doctor, hellion and occultist fought the swine king. We were not prepared. Only the occultist cae out alive and I got an achievement for it. That was so great

The hellion had like 5 diseases because pigs kept vomiting on her so the loss isn't too bad

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: October 09, 2016, 12:20:52 AM »
Have you finished Darkest Dungeon before? I love, love, love the early and mid game but the end game gets really obnoxious.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: October 09, 2016, 10:12:47 AM »
Nope I only got to midgame so far. What's boring about the endgame, character death being too meaningful? With all upgrades in town this doesn't sound too painful (since you can get geared up levelled up characters) but I might be wrong.

It's weird that the MVP (leper) is usually the LVP in every other game (he's the slow inaccurate damage only guy) I love him lots even though he's the least interesting character
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 10:14:50 AM by Fenrir »

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: October 09, 2016, 11:41:46 AM »
I played an earlier build so I don't know if these were balanced or fixed, but the endgame becomes a giant grind and you can get critted and just murked for other reasons, even with sensible party composition. It becomes really cost prohibitive to lose dudes that you've invested in so much, and it takes a lot of time to bring up a lot of low level dudes. In champion dungeons, you can do everything right and still get really fucked. It's not even that you can lose somebody and it's out of your control, that's the point of the game, but the time investment and cost felt too high later on, and by a certain point, high level dudes refuse to go to lower level dungeons, so bringing a class up to speed again takes forever. An easy fix would be to make it so non-level 1 dudes show up at the wagon for a higher price or something similar, but I don't know if that has been implemented.

I beat it twice and felt the grind wasn't so bad the second time so maybe I had just internalized better strategies against asshole randos by then.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: October 09, 2016, 12:33:15 PM »
Oh yeah they've fixed that. I bought an upgrade that makes one of the recruitable characters come at level 1 with all skills learned and leveled up + updated gear.
I'll be able to level this skill 2 more times, so I assume you can eventually get level 3 characters right off the bat.

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: October 09, 2016, 07:19:46 PM »
ah, sweet. I'll have to look into what they changed. I think they added new classes (Antiquarian wasn't there) and some other stuff, so I'll take a look.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: October 10, 2016, 03:18:01 PM »
When your team of four and five-star characters loses to a team of 2-stars, you should probably stop playing strategy games.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: October 10, 2016, 06:06:42 PM »
Antiquarian is not very interesting, it's a weak character that raises you get more money. She has an allright MT evade buff + blight attack

Did you find that non occultist/vestal teams coukd be viable during long missions? I'd love to run a non healer team but I haven't been very succesful with it. Huge stuns and damage would be mandatory I guess.
I'd like to tey a marking-focused tea at one point (I've completely ignored this mechanic so far) but I feel like I need damage/healing/blight/bleed/stuns way way more

I must have played this for 40 hours total (pc+ vita) and still never feel completely at ease

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: October 10, 2016, 10:36:40 PM »
I only have knowledge from watching it playing, but I was under the impression that Mark is better as synergy between 2-3 people than going all in.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: October 11, 2016, 12:56:10 AM »
SO5 Universe playthrough:  Finished all quests, got all PAs (or at least all that give roles).  Anne's kitty startled me.

Storm Dragons were much easier now than on previous playthrough.  Equipped the Equal Opportunist role (normal attacks remove buffs from both you and enemy) on Emmerson and just shot holes in him.  Storm Dragon doesn't have any long range attacks except Tornado which can be guarded, so it's easy to dodge him with Emmerson.

On to the endgame and then tackling the postgame since I didn't do it on normal difficulty.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: October 13, 2016, 08:17:19 AM »
I only have knowledge from watching it playing, but I was under the impression that Mark is better as synergy between 2-3 people than going all in.

Yeah. This goes for most strategies in the game except shuffling teams- you have to cover multiple niches at once.
I might have overlooked marked because I saw the bandit doing barely better damage against marked enemies, but other classes like bounty hunter eo much higher damage. Still, this seems like a waste all the time except against some bosses. I much prefer debuffs, bleedin and POIZN (POIZN stacks with itself! Wonderfuk!)

Bosses were VERY scary at first but I realized pretty soon that boss maps are scripted and the bosses hide at the furthest point from your starting area 100% of the time. Makes planning very easy.
All the bosses are cool and I think I fought the hardest one second - the prophet.
I'm also getting the hang of curios : the rule is pick up bags, use green medicinal stuff on rotten stuff, bandages on pointy spiky stuff, keys on chests (duh), shovels on graves, holy water on unholy shit, and do not interact with anything that might have words on it.

I am finally getting the hang of this game, but overconfidence precipitates a dizzy fall. I'm also super short on money all the time

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: October 14, 2016, 02:00:06 AM »
Ace Attorney 6 - DLC case. Overall pretty underwhelming, especially compared to how good AA5's was. Don't regret purchasing it as an AA fan, but it's not a must-buy. I feel like I should like this one more because Laurice Deauxnim is back and he's pretty great, but he's not that relevant past a worse-done retread of his 3-5 role. Maya's derpy comic relief shtick in investigations really doesn't work at age 28, though she worked better as an assistant. Edgeworth felt off, I think it's hard to use him and Phoenix at the same time in such a low-stakes way, but the way he keeps clamouring to END TRIAL NOW is like... the opposite of his post-AAI self, he's just doing it because that's what prosecutors do I guess...? Again, way worse than his role in AA5. Ellen had an annoying set of animations, and the main plot isn't very believable, and suffers from Gloomsbury's motive making no sense and Pierce's being pretty questionable too. I actually liked Pierce quite a bit, but then his "transformation" is hella underwhelming and he goes from being quite badass to rather pathetic. Sorin is pretty solid. I think this case suffered a lot from the same thing 5-3 did, they are trying SO HARD to make it look like only one of the two newlyweds could have done it so it's blindlingly obvious it will be someone else, and there's literally only one other character in the case so he's the killer by default. Meh. Case badly needed more/better case-specific characters, and generally continues with AA6's flaws, without what it does well. It has some funny moments mixed in there at least. Poor Edgeworth.

5 > 4 > 2 > 3 > DLC > 1 I think.

I'm also playing Blue Dragon (got to the second fight with the killer robot squad and still have yet to live more than a few turns, whoever balanced HM likes those guys way too much) and also started Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE because whynot.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: October 14, 2016, 05:24:09 AM »
SO5:  So I was getting jobbed pretty hard in Maze of Tribulations.  Even crafted some good augmented/synthesized gear but it wasn't helping.  Decided to go grind in an earlier area...

Huh, why am I not gaining xp?  Oh, I have this role equipped, "Gain SP not XP at 3%".  I thought 3% of your xp would be turned to SP.  Nope!  You don't gain *any* xp with that on.  So the only time my characters have leveled up was when I turned in a quest.  Maze of Tribulations really not intended to be done at level 46.

So I took it off and started gaining levels like crazy.  But hey, I have a lot of SP!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: October 14, 2016, 06:05:28 AM »
So... it converts 3% of your XP into raw SP right?  I would use the shit out of that in SO2.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: October 14, 2016, 03:21:09 PM »
Yeah SP is a universal currency in SO5.  Used to level up specialties (which are like SO2 skills), acquire and level up roles (kind of like FF12 gambits), and level up character battle skills.  Roles gain xp through battle also, and skills gain xp through use, but you can spend SP on them to fast-track them.

FFBE:  The saga of the Lilith Rod continues.

Got enough 6 star mats during the FFT event to take Bartz straight to 6 star when it's available.  Then spent the last few days farming megacites in the exploration map.  Got all espers evolved, but still need some work on Diablos and Golem to get their good skills.  Did up through Pro on the FF4 event, need to level Bartz a bit more to unlock Barrage before I tackle Elite.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1965 on: October 17, 2016, 02:45:20 AM »
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC-   Fin.

Let's start with the negatives. 

The pace over the early bits of the game (roughly everything between 'Estelle goes of for intense training in the mountains' and 'Chapter 3') is just too slow, considering this is all a followup to an entire full-length RPG in FC.  I get why it's built this way, they didn't want to utterly alienate new players, needed to give you a sense of how places had changed in the intervening months, and just let the player get that much more invested in everyone's daily dealie-do (more on this later).  But since they ended on such a cliffhanger, and one of the main hooks is the mystery of all those last minute plot twists, getting such lean information on the same for such a substantial chunk of the game is a big downer.  In particular you could reaaaallyyyy cut the entirety of chapter 2.

Chapter 2 stands out there because the only real thread you have to follow up through the end of chapter 5 is the Enforcers assigned to each region.  And Walter sucks.  And honestly due to some quirks of FC I kinda feel the least attachment to Zeiss of the regions if that makes sense.  And unto itself reuniting with Tita doesn't have quite the same punch as reuniting with Kloe (shit, one of my favorite scenes before everything got serious was actually Kloe's heart to heart with Estelle about her own crush on Joshua).  In contrast Bleublanc works pretty well for a first villain sort; you immediately get the sense that while he's probably stronger than your guys individually, him trying to take on the whole team depends entirely on him being able to set up.  Good feel for this sort of villain.  Luciola's backstory kept surprising me with how they played with it.  I'm not sure if it's even in a good or bad way, but I largely decided to spend the extra time fucking around with party swapping in the final dungeon because I decided I cared quite a bit about seeing what they did with her full story.  I feel like C3 speaks for itself.  Walter though?  He's every dumb wanky martial arts anime rival played perfectly straight.

Also sometimes the game can just be completely bullshit.  I suppose with sidequests that's not SO bad unto itself, I mean it is optional.  But then a few required fights do the same sorta stuff.  Not always, there's plenty of perfectly good bosses in there, but there's also sometimes stuff like "this boss gets a sneak attack S-Craft with hit ID odds.  Oh also she has 8 supporting units that spam rando-status lasers that like to petrify you."  I mean, sure, you know which boss is at the end of that dungeon before you go, and you could reasonably surmise she'd specialize in instant death at least.  But the medusa bots?  Fuck off.

But god damn man.  Everything else.  I already unreasonably liked this cast of course, then people start finishing their character arcs?  Yes please.  More Anelace and Olivier joins in chapter 1?  Yes please.  A game in which the heroine is distinctly a heroine and the villain's 'goal' (beyond torturing people because that's the only way he gets his rocks off (and the divine guardian dragon says as much to his face man Ragnard is great)) is to create the libertarian-paradise world where "everyone is always rational and never emotional"?  I laughed.  They also did the Suikoden thing.  Like, FC certainly made a point of mentioning that you can walk around Liberl in a few days because it was a tiny country that only stayed independent of much larger and more militarized neighbors through a crushing technological advantage.  SC actually lets you see this in action.  It leaves an impact to say the least.

The real kicker is C8 though.  It's basically the Shadow Hearts-y "welp there's the final dungeon time to do all of the sidequests", except basically the final dungeon cripples the army and slows you way the hell down so you take the first step of trying to get civilization up and running as much as possible.  So you see all those background events behind sidequests finish out and it's pretty fun.  But of course it's actually a primer to the end of the chapter.
The march the villains do through the city (which boils down to "wait why doesn't the party just fight their way into town there's like two guards" actually being put into practice... except also it's clearly several platoons of royal guards) is honestly kinda horrific.  This is the payoff for that whole "two games worth of emotional investment in the setting" thing.  Like these dudes are just soldiers, but you spend so much time helping them out, or them bailing you out (or as you advance as a Bracer, coming in for cleanup and relief efforts after you take point) that seeing masses of them strewn across the landscape has an impact.  And that's ignoring all the named characters involved to be as circumspect about RELEVANT spoilers as I can.

Oh, and building on Estelle's Estelleness.  What fixes Joshua?  He can finally cry.  Because pretending things don't bother him is stupid.  And thinking people are better off without him is stupid.  And trying to take on everything by yourself because it's "your burden" is all of the stupid.  Essentially, Estelle tells him to stop being such a fucking MAN and actually grow up.

But yeah that C8 bit was the main thing putting it over the top.  9/10
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: October 17, 2016, 11:20:08 PM »
FFBE:  Beat Golbez.  Used Charlotte (Shellga/Raging Fist), Kefka (Blizzaga/Hyperdrive), Bartz (Bar-spells/Barrage), WoL (Provoke/Full Break), Lenna (Cheer/Curaja), friend Lightning (Ice Blitz/Crushing Blow)

My first run I had a couple of major mistakes.  I didn't take a way to cure Stone and Barbariccia stoned Warrior of Light.  I also didn't use Barfira against Golbez and he nuked Lenna with Firaga (she has Shiva esper).  Then on his instant death phase he killed four people so that was that.

Second run I used Barfira and Golbez just laughed and nuked me with Thundaga and Bio instead.  His Bio does a ton of damage, killed Warrior of Light and Bartz with it.  ID phase he killed Charlotte and Lenna.  But my two strongest DDs were left and they finished him off.  Also got his scan for the bestiary!

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: October 18, 2016, 09:55:24 PM »
Persona 5 - Well well well, this certainly is a masterful reader's trap, and one that can be only used once in this specific age and time. Seriously, who could have guessed?
All the climax,  grand reveal, and the whole "who is the traitor" plot thread that the game wants you to focus on are all just a red herring to prevent the player to see through the trap.
There were actually some clues from Akechi's rant. But the grand reveal he is making about the incidents that has been happening up till now really distracts the player from picking that hint up.

This is so well done, perfectly done.

And geeish, to think this trap can't be carried over in the English release, as the vital ingridient of this trap is Japanese only.

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: October 18, 2016, 11:36:09 PM »
I made it to the desert in Bravely Default. I am fairly bored by the battle system, but I know it's early in so------- here's to the next few hours in the game? I don't quite appreciate the writing. It feels pretty childish. But you know what, I didn't have any expectations coming in anyway. I just have four classes at the moment, and looking forward to what kinda seems to be a time mage. Otherwise, I am just waiting for FF15 to arrive next month.

Music is okay; dungeons are okay, but they all seem the same?

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: October 19, 2016, 01:36:44 AM »
Team Skull should be called Team Crunk.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1970 on: October 19, 2016, 09:59:43 AM »
Holy crap, FF Brave Exvius actually created some exclusive content for global. And it's actually cool and noteworthy! They created holiday themed summonable versions of all the default story characters! This makes the original characters actually pretty strong, gives them the option of long term use due to having Trust Rewards, and makes them a little less generic to use in your party if you happen to like the original characters. (Side note: the original characters in BE are actually cool and have screentime in the story so you give a shit about them unlike Shitbrat Tyro from RK...)

Also, Halloween themed. So they picked the best holiday for this. The fact that it's global exclusive is just icing for me as someone who waited for the global version.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: October 19, 2016, 10:05:41 PM »
Yeah I think I'm going to blow my stash of summon tickets on this banner.  I already have enough "future-proof" characters that I shouldn't have trouble clearing any content, so I might as well spend on something fun.  Judging from their stats and abilities they should be respectable units but probably not god-tier.

Gumi has been really nice to global in general, we've gotten a lot of exclusive content.  Events, characters, advanced coliseum, etc.  I'm going to predict that we'll get 6 star Lenna before Japan when the FF5 banner drops also.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: October 19, 2016, 10:29:54 PM »
This thread is about our turbo grind games right?

WoW - Heroic Emerald Nightmare on farm.  Got our repeat kill on Xavius and third kill on Cenarius.  Xavius is pretty easy and only reason we didn't kill first week on him is a 2 day raid schedule and some rough execution.  We were Horde first on my trash Alliance heavy backwater realm.

Cenarius is hardest thing there followed by Elethe Renfaire or whatever her name is. 

Raid lead the clear while our Raid leader/current GM was off for the night.  Bad day at work.  Don't know tank rotations or healer mechanics.   Mostly just called out things people know.  Some sloppy kills on stuff we killed first week of Heroic, but whatever.  It worked even if it didn't feel good.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: October 20, 2016, 12:13:35 AM »
Man, I'm jealous.  Granted, my Worgen ArcMage is only 847.  That's getting almost nowhere, especially on boss #1, where having to move so much just tanks my DPS.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: October 20, 2016, 01:15:58 AM »
i play a warlock lol