imageRegister

Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2016?  (Read 117318 times)

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2016?
« Reply #1975 on: October 20, 2016, 03:43:03 AM »
This thread is about our turbo grind games right?

It's mostly just me talking to myself.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: October 20, 2016, 01:06:06 PM »
eXistenZ archive or whatever: looks like a spiritual successor to Valkryie Profile, but so far it's not great. Indivisible looks better about it.

Loss of atmosphere/plot/design is the most obvious immediate hit as the game is just Generic Anime, as usual for a post 2010 JRPG. I don't know why they've stopped taking any risks design wise?

Battles look fine, weirdly people can't take multiple actions at once (I dunno if this will make things better or worse) otherwise it's VP. Buuut do far enemies are easy and fighting znd post battle screens take slightly too long for a 2016 game. Hmmmm

Darkest Dungeon: Beat all the regular bosses. Now there are souped up versions. Am I allowed to check the wiki to see which are vulnerable to bleed/poizn/shuffle , because I forgot?

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: October 20, 2016, 02:48:20 PM »
Beat Downwell, finally.  Game owns.  That is all.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: October 20, 2016, 04:12:16 PM »
Darkest Dungeon: Beat all the regular bosses. Now there are souped up versions. Am I allowed to check the wiki to see which are vulnerable to bleed/poizn/shuffle , because I forgot?
Their resistances are uniformly increased for the higher level bosses IIRC.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: October 20, 2016, 07:44:23 PM »
eXistenZ archive or whatever: looks like a spiritual successor to Valkryie Profile, but so far it's not great. Indivisible looks better about it.

Loss of atmosphere/plot/design is the most obvious immediate hit as the game is just Generic Anime, as usual for a post 2010 JRPG. I don't know why they've stopped taking any risks design wise?

Battles look fine, weirdly people can't take multiple actions at once (I dunno if this will make things better or worse) otherwise it's VP. Buuut do far enemies are easy and fighting znd post battle screens take slightly too long for a 2016 game. Hmmmm

Exist Archive you mean.

Battle wise, tricker enemies shows up later.
Like enemy that are big and can block your way.
Or those annoyn spike enemies where melee character will automatically get interrupted if they get close.
And then there are those enemy that can blow up like a bomb.

So the game kinda forbids you from just stomp rolling the enemies. But it does makes the battle more time consuming later on.

Story and design wise... at least this game has Xenobia?
She really kinda is the saving grace among the characters here by being an unconventional last boss.
At least, altruism is not a quality we susually find in a last boss.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1980 on: October 20, 2016, 09:19:58 PM »
i play a warlock lol

Poor bastard.

Anyway, the latest patch for Stellaris just came out and broke my old saves, but i was at the point where the game drops a menace from beyond the conceptual boundaries of space and time to mix things up so it doesn't hurt to start over.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1981 on: October 21, 2016, 09:35:32 AM »
Brave Exvius: so I've only done two pulls on this new Halloween banner with the limited availability global exclusive units. The first one gave me Agrias, a solid unit from Tactics in her own right. The second one gave me one of the five star Halloween units, Lasswell. That's literally the second five star unit I've drawn since the game opened. I know it's anecdotal, but it's possible the rate for five stars and the featured units on this banner is higher than normal due to it being global exclusive?

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: October 21, 2016, 11:44:48 AM »
Did 15 ticket pulls, only got one Black Cat Lid + another from the 250 lapis pull.  Got a Chizuru though.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: October 22, 2016, 10:01:15 AM »
Picross 3D - played through.

Strike one: The game runs off 'normal' picross rules the whole time, with no option to ever use 'free' picross rules. I don't think there should be any opposition to the claim that the normal rules are terrible.

You can make the argument that since the irrelevant blocks are being destroyed in this game rather than just being marked off, it wouldn't make any sense to be able to bring them back. I don't think that's sufficient reason, but ultimately they could be changed to being phased in and out or so forth. Then there's the question of how to be sure you're phasing in the right block, which is simply fixed by a) disabling the ability to affect blocks outside the currently selected slice in slice mode and b) fixing the issue where you can't select one of the slices currently facing you in slice mode. You spend 85% of the puzzle in slice mode anyway, and most of the leftover time is only due to the aforementioned issue. I had resets due to accidentally incorrectly shattering blocks outside the current slice, and due to misinterpreting blocks as being in the currently-facing slice when they weren't, so even if the free rules weren't added both these fixes would be useful.

Strike two: Every level is timed.

This ain't regular picross timing where you get generally ludicrously long times which really only come into play in the normal ruleset, as in the normal ruleset you get increasing time penalties for each mistake. Here you essentially need to restart the puzzle on your first mistake, there's no time penalty. The times are just actually, and often easily, failable now - especially on the higher difficulty puzzles. Brings back bad memories of Super Picross's huge boards that gave me multiple failures by timeout.

There is nothing I like better than doing a puzzle for half an hour and then having to restart and spend another half an hour just because for some bizarre reason the game designers decided that I needed to complete it within that time. This is not why I play Picross.

A lot of boards were timed in Pokémon Picross, but the vast majority of the time you could trivialise them by stacking your party with slow-time or freeze-time Pokémon; it's not like you were going to use any of the reveal ones unless there was a mission which required it. Sometimes you had a mission to complete the board without any Pokémon, and so forth. I don't mind occasionally having a timer. But not one on every single puzzle, and definitely not one that's going to make me have to play every second puzzle multiple times on the higher difficulties.

Ultimately, I lost any qualms I had about memorizing parts of the puzzle and directly filling them out on reattempts in these situations.

Also keep in mind that on top of the lower time limits, Picross 3D is also a lot slower than regular Picross, given that you can't see the entire puzzle at once.

Strike three: Making me manually remove "0" rows/columns/aisles.

Game. If you can't present to me a way to manually remove every "0" row/etc. on a given face without having to constantly shift the angle of the face so I can see the blocks at the far side. Just give me a button to automatically shatter all "0" blocks. I'm already angry enough that I've had to restart this puzzle multiple times due to the terrible timer, I do not want to have more restarts just because I hit blocks outside the "0" row because of the angling.

Ultimately, I never completely got the hang of things. Fairly often I would run into situations where I'd gone over every slice from multiple faces and failed to find any way to progress, and given the timer breathing down your back makes the game not lend itself to not making progress, ended up trying to divine which blocks might be shatterable from what was currently completed. Some times this worked, some times this lead to having to restart the puzzle. It feels like most of the times I got stuck there was either a 1-block markable somewhere that I was overlooking, or there was a circle/square row somewhere which had particular configurations which were impossible. Again with the latter, if you sit there considering every possible configuration for every one of those, that's a recipe for running out of time - there are a number of shortcuts for some configurations, at least. (For example, with a circle-4 row, if you currently have a line of 4 available blocks and a separate single available block, you can theoretically immediately tell that the single is required and the two in the centre of the set of 4 are required.)

Seems kind of like I somehow have a better grasp of Mega Picross than Picross 3D, and Mega Picross is terrible.

It feels like the game really needed to have the blue markings which you get naturally in Picross e or via water Pokémon in Pokémon Picross.

On the positive side: Construction puzzles are much, much better than Micross. Mainly as they typically don't consist of ridiculous amounts of simple puzzles, but the framing is also better (in that there isn't really any). I'd like for Jupiter to take notes from this for their next Picross game, except 3D originally came out ages ago so they obviously didn't.

Hopefully when Picross 3D 2 comes out over here I will find that they have fixed a heap of the problems of the first game, but I have a horrible feeling that they've probably fixed nothing.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: October 22, 2016, 12:34:30 PM »

Story and design wise... at least this game has Xenobia?
She really kinda is the saving grace among the characters here by being an unconventional last boss.

Oh man, classic Niu

I lost interest to this game pretty fast honestly

Darkest Dungeon: Yeah Duck, but I think they retain the same weakness. If regular pig had 0% bleed and 40% poizn res, super pig will have 40% bleed and 80% poizn res?

I entered the Darkest Dungeon, full of hope and rations. And I fled it a few minutes later. The horrors.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: October 22, 2016, 12:41:46 PM »
They patched DS3 again and I learned a couple things while farming ears last night:

-Apparently poise was modified? I haven't personally tested heavier armor to see if poise actually works for players now. But I can say that it definitely works for armored enemies now. Great Chaos Fireball no longer staggers silver knights, meaning farming is somehow even more painful than it already was. Goddammit From. As someone who never relied on poise in the first place*, no thank you.

(*I've concluded that Bloodborne is probably the Fromsoft game whose basic combat mechanics are most comfortable for me.)

-Acid Surge is now completely fucking broken in PVP. It takes about a second's exposure to break all of your weapons. Expect every pissant troll to spam this all the time forevermore. What were you guys thinking?

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: October 22, 2016, 04:02:57 PM »

Strike three: Making me manually remove "0" rows/columns/aisles.

Game. If you can't present to me a way to manually remove every "0" row/etc. on a given face without having to constantly shift the angle of the face so I can see the blocks at the far side. Just give me a button to automatically shatter all "0" blocks. I'm already angry enough that I've had to restart this puzzle multiple times due to the terrible timer, I do not want to have more restarts just because I hit blocks outside the "0" row because of the angling.

They actually added that in for the sequel, based on the demo.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: October 22, 2016, 10:43:38 PM »
They patched DS3 again and I learned a couple things while farming ears last night:

-Apparently poise was modified? I haven't personally tested heavier armor to see if poise actually works for players now. But I can say that it definitely works for armored enemies now. Great Chaos Fireball no longer staggers silver knights, meaning farming is somehow even more painful than it already was. Goddammit From. As someone who never relied on poise in the first place*, no thank you.

Hahaha cripes, I barely managed to stagger them after seven or so stabs.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: October 23, 2016, 06:03:12 AM »
Persona 5 - 118 hours, first cycle completed. It has been a long while since the last time I spent 100+ just on one cycle of the game.

Definitely the best Persona since Persona 2. Very strong on both writing and gameplay, and the aesthetic is well done. Just the music is the typical Persona Meguro crap. Sigh, the game could have been better if the music in this game can be at least half as good as DDS or SMTSJ.
Another weakness of the game is the last story segment felt like a re-done of P4. But the amazing reader's trap kinda saved it a little.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: October 23, 2016, 10:44:25 PM »
Pokemon Black 2: Finished this a week ago or so.  Fun replay, if a bit frustrating because my team was lacking in some serious coverage.  Particularly, I had no good Flying or Psychic type damage, and Fairy doesn't exist yet, I had no good tanks, with my only durable thing really being Excadrill and that was due to typing, among other things.  Still somehow got through the E4 without dying, and Final Ghestis had me require I use a Revive on Volcaronna (something I try to avoid in fights) lest I get murdered by his...Weavile? Something like that.

Team:

Volcaronna: Back Heavy powerhouse.  Volcarona's stats are incredible when you first get him but his moveset sucks.  He relies on Firespin and Struggle Bug for a good STAB for a while.  To be fair, I could have gotten him Signal Beam earlier likely.  He gets a lot better once you can buy Fire Blast.  I taught him Fly for convenience.

Roserade: Another thing that got better as time went on, particularly, when it got Petal Dance.  A major problem is I had to make it play to typings rather heavily, like it had no response to Steel or Poison types.  I also probably should have removed Grass Whistle earlier because it was so inconsistent.

Excadrill: It's a powerhouse but frailer than you'd think, and I felt like everything was packing a Fighitng or Ground move, it was annoying!  STAB EQ off it's attack of course is fun stuff, and Rock Slide for pesky flying types is handy.

Zoroark: Finally got around to using this thing and outside of his impressive E4 performance, I was disappointed.  He doesn't hit quite hard enough as you'd like, and his defensive stats are so bad that his "trick enemies into using the wrong move!" ability doesn't help him.  Also he gets Night Glow too late.

Floatzel: This guy, however, was actually pretty darn good.  Aqua Tail/Waterfall generally hit hard, his speed was solid, he could take a hit here and there (though not durable by any means, he just didn't feel like paper), and his Ice Beam is surprisingly effective for nailing weaknesses, despite being a physical attacker.

Jolteon: Fun fact, I had somehow NEVER USED JOLTEON BEFORE THIS POINT, so here I am using it.  What can I say? Faster than basically everything made him reliable that I could insure he'd get Thunder Wave off if nothing else, and electrical attacks.  Problem?  Anything that resisted Electric caused Jolteon to be ungood, because his Attack is ass, and his Special options are...non-existent.  Still, he gets Discharge early enough to rip apart things until T-bolt pops up.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1990 on: October 24, 2016, 01:58:13 AM »
Oh man, classic Niu

Not enough talking about how sexy underage people are

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: October 24, 2016, 11:15:52 PM »
I caved and bought Civ 6 because I have issues.

Enjoying it thus far. I like choices being a bit more situational and reactive, as well as city building being more involved.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: October 25, 2016, 04:58:00 PM »
As a now Picross PRO, Picross 3D looks like a travesty

Exist archive: I've played this a bit more.

So I had a lot of trouble at first, there was no healing except for items, which are only gotten through drops, and mission success. The balance was harsh and I had to "abuse" systems a bit (but it was fun)
BUT I hadn't noticed that if I leveled the wind mage's class she could get a healing spell. I just gave everybody + drops passive skills because this is the shit (and the game has no shops)
Now that I actually could level her class and got the heal spell, the game seems completely trivialized - the same way VP was trivialized by its healing spell, actually.

I also got a completely OP naginata user. See, this game has a lot of enemy hordes, you often fight like 10 low hp enemies at once + one big HP enemy or so. Naginata girl has a super huge aoe attack. I removed all her other skills and she now only does OP AOE -> OP AOE and destroys everything. She also does more damage than anyone else against single targets so whatever. Also she has huge HP. Balance!!

I'll now ignore all enemies and fight only bosses and see how far I can get.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: October 25, 2016, 05:42:28 PM »
As a now Picross PRO, Picross 3D looks like a travesty

Exist archive: I've played this a bit more.

So I had a lot of trouble at first, there was no healing except for items, which are only gotten through drops, and mission success. The balance was harsh and I had to "abuse" systems a bit (but it was fun)
BUT I hadn't noticed that if I leveled the wind mage's class she could get a healing spell. I just gave everybody + drops passive skills because this is the shit (and the game has no shops)
Now that I actually could level her class and got the heal spell, the game seems completely trivialized - the same way VP was trivialized by its healing spell, actually.

I also got a completely OP naginata user. See, this game has a lot of enemy hordes, you often fight like 10 low hp enemies at once + one big HP enemy or so. Naginata girl has a super huge aoe attack. I removed all her other skills and she now only does OP AOE -> OP AOE and destroys everything. She also does more damage than anyone else against single targets so whatever. Also she has huge HP. Balance!!

I'll now ignore all enemies and fight only bosses and see how far I can get.

I can already forsee Fenrir dies to the spike enemy that blows up on your melee characters.
Switch in the sword whip girl instead later on if you need AOE.
She has better AOE range and does not get blow up by spike enemy. She also does far more hits, both in air and on floor. Thus more crystals and jewels.

Actually, the gun man and sword whip is the two most important character when it comes to offense.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: October 25, 2016, 06:25:49 PM »
I'm past that. I use single gun dude to deal with the enemies, and otherwise he's just sitting there being useless.
Sword whip girl might deal with those enemies but she has less offense and half the HPs of Naginata girl

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1995 on: October 25, 2016, 07:53:35 PM »
Single gun? You mean the body guard dude?
He has super good passive skill that boost to your exp and Demon's Greed count base on the item drop gauge.
The right thing to do is to teach those skill to someone else and use the duel gun guy instead, who can build up the item drop gauge really really fast. His AOE is better and Demon's Greed is MT too.

BTW, you have the ice mage yet?
He also has healing like the wind mage, but a better Demon's Greed.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: October 25, 2016, 11:53:05 PM »
I hate the twingun skillset though
And demon's greeds are weak as fuck so far, these things are no PWS. I barely care enough to activate them during boss fights, and they're 100% free when available

My secret plan is to make the main a wind mage, ditch the girl and go with naginata / whip / big gun for my three other mains

Ice mage has an annoying voice, I don't want to use him

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: October 25, 2016, 11:54:31 PM »
There's now a shop, and all the items are garbage except for three cool sounding ones that cost 1000000 heavenbucks

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: October 26, 2016, 03:23:39 AM »
Dark Souls 3: DLC is here. I started it. Explored for three hours, haven't found a boss yet. Only death thus far was jumping off a cliff so I didn't have to deal with an invader.

I found an amazing right-hand-rapier/left-hand-claw weapon pair that lets you alternate in sick ninja combos. Also straight-up Freddy Krueger claws. You guys. Why don't I have a spare slab so I can max this shit out. It's criminal.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: October 26, 2016, 07:20:04 PM »
I hate the twingun skillset though
And demon's greeds are weak as fuck so far, these things are no PWS. I barely care enough to activate them during boss fights, and they're 100% free when available

My secret plan is to make the main a wind mage, ditch the girl and go with naginata / whip / big gun for my three other mains

Ice mage has an annoying voice, I don't want to use him

That team sounds like a plan. Should pretty much cover most of things you need outside gauge building.
Demon's Greed is weak? You are only saying this because you have not upgrade the Demon's Greed into lv.2