imageRegister

Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2016?  (Read 122462 times)

MasterLemon

• N. Sane
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Discord where me and my brother whine about movies!
Re: What Games are you playing 2016?
« Reply #2175 on: December 02, 2016, 04:28:55 PM »
Pokemon Sun: I made it to Ula'ula and beaten the Hau battle you have upon arrival. The Totem Pokemon I fought during my stay at Akala weren't so difficult, asides from the Wishiwashi which made me think twice. A lone Morelull can't be expected to carry the weight of the whole fight right? Speaking of Morelull, my party is starting to come together since I last posted and I had a single Litten. Mudsdale and Shiinotic are going to be deposited once I get later members, whilst Araquanid is here to stay. Speaking of Araquanid, the thing has became increasingly helpful for me ever since it evolved and I put Scald on it. Scald is 1 hit KOing anything which doesn't resist it (where it will 2 hit KO it instead). Remember that this Scald is firing off a magic stat of 50. Guess they needed the stats to counterbalance the overpowered ability like with Azumarill.  The Exp. Share is back even though it doesn't seem to be as cheap as it was in XY/ORAS, thank goodness for the fact that they went back to the Gen 5 growth system. Though it's still nice for me to add pages to the Pokedex with it being able to evolve benched Pokemon. I also found Festival Plaza to be a neat feature as well. Mainly because it reminds me of Join Avenue from B2W2, a feature which I really enjoyed and spent way too much time on. Although the fact that the circuit is circular instead of a straight line was a thing which took my eyes time to get used to.

My team so far:

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: December 02, 2016, 08:44:37 PM »
FFXV:

C3. I am going to move on to C4. I've overquested. What struck me in C3, though, are how many many many enemies of different backgrounds may crowd or join an area. That made me run from Nif troops that wanted to drop down by a L20 something wooly beast or mark. Yeah, that wasn't cool.

Any suggestions for more clearly seeing your support team and rushing to them if they need help? Sometimes they become lost in the jumble of color on the screen. I've only ever "saved" one teammates, Ignis, because he was right next to me.

Haven't veered off into magic -much-. I've just gone into multicasts/mixes, but after L20 training it seems like that would be a good idea. Poison, eh?

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: December 02, 2016, 09:29:54 PM »
I've tinkered with some magic here and there. Can't say I've found something too remarkable.

I guess I should be making those xp spells with the coins? I dunno. I haven't sold much.  Dunno what's useful or if I should just buy everything.

Also, I requested to join that channel.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: December 02, 2016, 11:03:49 PM »
The best way to maximize the exp gain from the coins is to wait until the water city. Where you can access a 3x exp hotel. Which will greatly inflate your exp gain.

And yes, poison is nice.

FF15 - the game totally went to hell by ch.10

And then when I thought it can't get any worse, it went straight into a deeper heel on ch.13

My god, this is why you DO NOT rush a game.
Tabata, you should delay the game at least to autumn next year.
Or just leave the game as a 3 part game with this being the first one like Nomura wanted.
Nomura might take forever to make something, but at least that man get things right!
Anything is better than rush things through like this!

God, the game outright fell apart from ch.10 and on.
Serious Tabata, if that's what you mean by the game's plot. Than I'd rather have no plot this game. The hunting, the fishing, the cooking, the chocobo riding, and everything that makes the game fun just disappear post ch.10

I... I'll head to that adorable hidden dungeon to cleans my mind for a bit.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: December 03, 2016, 04:04:24 AM »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: December 03, 2016, 01:10:36 PM »
*claps* Congrats!

Niu, what? What?? You mean you literally -cannot- do those things?

Scar, added!

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: December 04, 2016, 05:30:24 AM »
*claps* Congrats!

Scar, added!

Yes I can't do them, because I fell asleep.
Ch.13 is such a badly designed Biohazard I can barely keep my myself awake.

FF12, then FF13, and now FF15
FF has successfully put me to sleep in 3 consecutive consol release with their impossibly sleep inducing (aka, bad and boring) game design.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: December 04, 2016, 06:31:34 AM »
*claps* Congrats!

Scar, added!

Yes I can't do them, because I fell asleep.
Ch.13 is such a badly designed Biohazard I can barely keep my myself awake.

FF12, then FF13, and now FF15
FF has successfully put me to sleep in 3 consecutive consol release with their impossibly sleep inducing (aka, bad and boring) game design.

Pokedudes -  forgot to save for ages.  Forgot to charge batteries.  RIP motivation.  Lost Water Totem beat and then down to Cheap Mart or whatever it was called.  Not too much but guuuuuuuh.

I might do Hyrule Warriors for a bit or spend BRavely Second.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: December 04, 2016, 06:46:09 AM »
Wait, dunie, I might misunderstand what you mean.
If you mean whether you can still do the cooking, the riding, the fishing, etc. Yes, you can't do them.

Or if you mean I can't handle those stupid thing ch.13 tell me to do, then my reply is above. I can't motivate myself to move through that chapter as it puts me to sleep.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: December 04, 2016, 07:16:39 AM »
Awesome, NotMiki.   You forgot to shamelessly link
https://www.twitch.tv/notmiki/v/104901975
though.

Some good luck there, but I'm still amazed you did it at only L52.  I guess once you get good enough at optimizing your damage and not taking hits, the extra level doesn't matter so much, but I'd have guessed more like 53 or 54 for Inferno.

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: December 04, 2016, 01:18:46 PM »
Niu, both responses to the question were relevant, but the last moreso.

The second reinforces my overquesting. Yeah see, I would have went forward only to be mad if I left other quests in the dust.

The first, maybe you need to take a break. I won't deny my heart weeps hearing that as I have loved FF12/13.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: December 04, 2016, 03:36:44 PM »
THE NIU DOES NOT BREAK. THE NIU IS GAMING.

LordDirtyBrit

• The British Whiner
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Twitter account
« Reply #2187 on: December 04, 2016, 05:49:55 PM »
Pokemon Moon: At Route 12. I thought that the Totem Vikavolt at Mt Hokulani wasn't too difficult, Thunder Wave from Charjabug was annoying and Charge boosted Spark took out a good chunk of my health. On the other hand, Guzma was a cakewalk in terms of difficulty thanks to Toucannon's advantage against his all Bug team. As a character, Guzma seems pretty laughable along with the rest of Team Skull which gives them more character than Team Flare from XY by default. I ended the session by catching a Geodude which I evolved into Golem thanks to having ThatMasterLemon around to trade with me.

Team so far:

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: December 05, 2016, 12:28:57 AM »
FF15: ...this game has me caught in doing side content rather than continuing the plot.  BLAST YOU GAME AND YOUR EVIL SCHEMES OF MAKING ME HAVE FUN WASTING TIME!

Last time that happened to me was...Xenoblade Chronicles X...the last major jRPG I played...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: December 05, 2016, 01:00:46 AM »
FF15: ...this game has me caught in doing side content rather than continuing the plot.  BLAST YOU GAME AND YOUR EVIL SCHEMES OF MAKING ME HAVE FUN WASTING TIME!

Last time that happened to me was...Xenoblade Chronicles X...the last major jRPG I played...

This is natural, because the main plot SUCKS!!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2190 on: December 05, 2016, 07:35:07 AM »
FF13 - Decided to do a secondary roles run, which I'm playing as No Crystarium until those open up. Been doing this slowly over the last few weeks.

Chapter 3 I barely noticed the difference, which is obvious since you're only getting started on the crystarium. Manasvin Warmech is still a jerk who took a couple resets for me to remember the sentinel timing. Shiva was beaten first try. Garuda took 1 reset because by this point I was kinda feeling the lower HP and I got wrecked by his limit move.

In Chapter 4... bombs are nasty but that's not really too different from my normal memories. The Dreadnought poses some challenge as Wrecking Ball now really hurts, but eh, no big overall. After this I get equipment upgrading, and since I'm much better at that than I was first playthrough this mostly makes up for lower stats for a while. I defeat Odin with no issue, somewhat surprisingly.

Chapter 5 is in a pretty good sweet spot for challenge. Both Behemoth types are pretty fun fights. Aster Protoflorian is the hardest boss so far for sure; there's no OHKO here but he moves fast and can really wear me down if I don't stay on top of buffs, healing, and keeping the chain gauge going (since staggering him gives some welcome relief from his offence, if less than normal since I don't have Launch). I can't exploit his shifting elements with Bar- spells, but it still changes my strategy (Hope in RAV more for Fire/Blizzard when those are his weakness, Lightning when Thunder is the weakness).

Chapter 6 is in the same area, perhaps even slightly easier overall. Scalebeasts, despite their hype, are no problem (though they do take a while); they don't hit that hard so they're really more about skillful chain management and getting Deshell to stick, all of which still applies. Wyverns are another matter. They inflict Deprotect then do massive damage; you're supposed to use Esuna (learned in this chapter) to counter that, but no other solution exists. I have to go max out my one Tungsten Bangle to let Vanille just tank this, and make sure she's at full HP at all times if Deprotected... tough when there are other enemies around! Fun fights. The bosses, Enlil and Enki, and surprisingly easy.

Chapter 7 sees Snow and Fang join, and they have notably more HP than the other PCs, so that's a help! I get trapped into a fight with a Falco Velocycle with Lightning, that's a problem which requires a Summon to get out of (they'll use Gatling Gun for ridiculous overkill and I don't have the offence to defeat them first). Falco Velocycles with Snow are same as always, switch to Sentinel as soon as I see it coming, Provoke + STEELGUARD! I do periodically use Sentinel at other points with Fang/Snow to take pressure off their allies, it's convenient how those two have the most HP. Snow/Hope have a bunch of trouble fights especially against those flying soldiers and their missile barrages. Lightning/Fang don't have too much trouble, Slow is great. The Ushumgal Subjugator fought with Snow/Hope is very nasty to keep up with since he has so much AoE offence and I only have two people (one quite fragile), probably the hardest boss so far even? I'm worried about the second form but with three PCs it's not too bad, I can do things like COM/SEN/MED and more to the point Slow is great. Finally there is the Skytank, which is easy-peasy, if boring since c'mon, a boss with 999 stagger point and no status weaknesses? zzz

Chapter 8 is brief but hellish. After Sazh/Vanille took care of business in C6 I am not expecting this, most fights are brutal. Part of the problem is that Sazh is way worse to control than Vanille (controlling Vanille lets you do things like choose who you Deshell and use SAB spells on someone who has already been hit by one which is currently Vanille's best way to stabilise the chain gauge). Part of the problem is that the soldiers here have low HP but high offence and reward cutting them down with AoE... which I don't have. Oh well. Midlight Reaper is tough. He has an attack that does 700 damage, that be fatal. He only uses it with a lot of warning, but you basically have to stagger him to stop it (or pray it hits Vanille). Fortunately he's not too hard to stagger, but if you don't, GG. The other thing he can do is a different charged cannon, which is 3HKO (to my maxed bangles) AoE, and he'll use it three times in rather short succession, so I have to be ready to bust out lots of healing for that. Not too bad, but takes a while to get the rhythm of the fight down. Many potions are spammed here.

And finally, Brynhildr, the toughest boss of the challenge so far. Here's the thing: you beat Brynhildr primarily by building chain, and primarily by having the leader do it. Unfortunately, she absorbs fire... which is the only element base Sazh has. Absorbing an element quarters the chain boost, so Sazh is actually better off going for COM. After doing some digging I also realise, to my surprise, that this means Vanille actually contributes the most gestalt gauge increase in this fight. So sticking her in MED is a bad idea. Solution? Do all the healing with potions! Doctor's Code to make them worthwhile isn't an option (same with Reaper) because it makes Sazh too fragile, so I have to use them often, but of course I also need to get in lots of attacks with Sazh to build chain. (I manally input Attack/Ruin/Attack because there's a chain bonus for using non-consecutive moves and every bit counts here.) Lots of paradigm shifts between identical COM/RAV setups just for the ATB boost, lots of potions. If she focuses on Vanille that's actually kinda nice, I can Phoenix Down her to restore HP more effeciently. If she focuses exclusively on Sazh that can be pretty bad and I occasionally switch to COM/MED for some help but this isn't optimum. If she divides her focus that's great, potions are better. I try this battle probably around 15-20 times, and almost win on a couple occasions (I swear the gauge is a pixel shy of 100% both times) but eventually I decide "fuck it" and use a Fortisol for Auto-Protect/Shell/Vigilance which gives me an extra push. Might have tried to do it legit but it was late by this point and you can't save between Reaper and Brynhildr and I didn't want to redo the former (or leave the console on overnight).

Currently in Chapter 9! I'm sure Bart will be a barrel of fun. Looking forward to actually getting the secondary roles, am pretty glad not to be doing a No Crystarium run of the entire game even though it's actually been a lot of fun so far.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 01:11:03 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: December 05, 2016, 12:46:16 PM »
FFXV:
Haven't left C4 yet. Turned in all my quests, added some.. completed most at this point in Lestallum. Not choosing ones that are just about miles and miles of traveling.

I have been EXP hoarding. Still haven't camped or inn'd. Now 10 days without in-game sleep. Last time I chatted, I was hoarding ~15K exp and 9k gil. Turning in quests related to chocobos or item-finding, now I am at ~28K EXP. It's all gravy since I am overlevelled. I didn't realize this small and off the beaten path hunts/quests had such has EXP rewards. So, I am going to move on once I've done one more Lestallum quest and checking what's at this outpost before the so-called "point of no return."

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: December 05, 2016, 03:57:04 PM »
Awesome, NotMiki.   You forgot to shamelessly link
https://www.twitch.tv/notmiki/v/104901975
though.

Some good luck there, but I'm still amazed you did it at only L52.  I guess once you get good enough at optimizing your damage and not taking hits, the extra level doesn't matter so much, but I'd have guessed more like 53 or 54 for Inferno.

The level would have gotten me to the final phase more consistently, so it would have helped in that regard.  I don't think it would have made a difference after that point though - phase 3 if you screw up the damage numbers are so high that an extra level isn't doing a lot.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

LordDirtyBrit

• The British Whiner
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Twitter account
« Reply #2193 on: December 05, 2016, 04:37:14 PM »
Xenoblade Chronicles X: Completed Chapter 9. Damn both boss fights were amazing. The ground section in particular made think about what build I should use for my avatar (preferably it should be packing Gravity based arts as neither Ga Jiarg or Ga Buidhe resist it) and what extra character I should I bring. I brough Alexa along as she had Electric arts which Ga Jiarg didn't resist and she had Synchronicity for the skell section of the fight. Speaking of the skell section; I love the music that plays during skell battles, it and Noctilum (Day) are probably the only songs that can compare to the amazing soundtrack of the original game. I also got the flight module which should make exploring much easier.

Pokemon Moon: Beaten Totem Mimikyu. Totem Mimikyu was rather annoying as all of its stats were increased, meaning it was able to tank Golem's Gyro Ball and hit hard with Play Rough. What also made Mimikyu annoying was that it summoned Haunter and Gengar, the latter kept spamming Shadow Ball which targeted Golem's weaker defense. By the end, I decided to switch to Mudsdale so I could use Stamina to tank Play Rough, even then Mudsdale ended the fight on critical HP. I ended the session by catching a Mimikyu which took quite a while to find. Not that it mattered as it allowed me to gain a few levels on Golem.

Team so far:

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: December 05, 2016, 06:18:13 PM »
Niu, has there been a recent game you actually enjoyed?

Not defending anything in general, but most of what I read, is you bashing everything you've played.

Ff15

I'm overleveled and in Venice staring at wedding dresses.

The bro outing just took a turn.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: December 05, 2016, 07:39:51 PM »
Niu, has there been a recent game you actually enjoyed?

Not defending anything in general, but most of what I read, is you bashing everything you've played.

Yes, there are things I enjoyed. For example: Persona 5, which I have been praising a couple of pages back.
And then the new SaGa that's coming out this month, which I'll praise as the best thing ever regardless of its quality.

I also am among the few who appreciated SRWMD.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: December 06, 2016, 12:51:27 AM »
Xenoblade Chronicles X: Completed Chapter 9. Damn both boss fights were amazing. The ground section in particular made think about what build I should use for my avatar (preferably it should be packing Gravity based arts as neither Ga Jiarg or Ga Buidhe resist it) and what extra character I should I bring. I brough Alexa along as she had Electric arts which Ga Jiarg didn't resist and she had Synchronicity for the skell section of the fight. Speaking of the skell section; I love the music that plays during skell battles, it and Noctilum (Day) are probably the only songs that can compare to the amazing soundtrack of the original game. I also got the flight module which should make exploring much easier.

The Major Boss Theme is probably the highlight of the OST alongside Noctilium (Day), at least until the Final Boss theme which is the song they actually PROMOTED THE GAME WITH in earlier trailers

If you liked the boss fight of Chapter 9, Chapter 10 is a whole new level of "GIANT ROBOT EXPLOSION HAPPY FUN!"
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

LordDirtyBrit

• The British Whiner
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Twitter account
« Reply #2197 on: December 06, 2016, 12:57:37 AM »

The Major Boss Theme is probably the highlight of the OST alongside Noctilium (Day), at least until the Final Boss theme which is the song they actually PROMOTED THE GAME WITH in earlier trailers

I know Beyond the Sky, the original Xenoblade's ending theme, was used during some of the Japanese trailers. Hell, the English trailers shown Mechon Fiora, Gadolt and Kallian's death.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: December 06, 2016, 01:38:49 AM »
Good to know niu. Granted I'm not around often enough to see your praises sung.

Ff15 ch 10

Things are happening. I'm not really sure why.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 01:42:08 AM by Scar »

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: December 06, 2016, 07:11:54 AM »

If you liked the boss fight of Chapter 9, Chapter 10 is a whole new level of "GIANT ROBOT EXPLOSION HAPPY FUN!"

Speaking of which. What's the DL' opinion on the games sound track?
It has a very strong OST, but I often heard little discussion about it.